open/close all folders
Yuuei as a whole
- Side Bet: The teachers at Yuuei bet whether their students will hook up or when will they confess. Aizawa won and Kan lost a lot of money.
- Overprotective Dad: Aizawa appears to be contemplating homicide when Inasa stares dreamily at Shinsou.
Vlad King/Sekijirou Kan
- Didn't Think This Through: Vlad King volunteers to fight against Todoroki and Tokoyami and even gives them time to plan. Two long-range attackers with prep time against a Close Range Combatant means Vlad gets his butt handed to him.
- Everyone Has Standards: Sekijirou is appalled how Uwabami and Mount Lady exploited their interns.
- My Greatest Failure: Sekijirou regrets how badly Kendou was exploited in her internship and wished he thrown Uwabami's internship offer into the trash when he first saw it
- Always Second Best: Katsuki's pissed that even on vacation, Izuku shows him up. Katsuki meets designers his parents know while Izuku gets to meet America's top superhero
- Break the Haughty: Bakugou's Jerkass behavior is starting to bite him in the ass. Despite placing first in the Sports Festival, top heroes Hawks and Mirko refuse to take him as an intern due to his bullying behavior. He is outshone by the Hosu Quartet and his former victim Izuku no longer gives a damn about him. Everytime he tries to force his way, he is slapped down hard.
- Demoted to Extra: Bakugou is ironically demoted to an extra in spite of his deuteragonist status in canon
- Digging Yourself Deeper: People were already doubting Bakugou's potential due to the massive tantrum he thrown during the Sports Festival medal ceremony. Best Jeanist's review of Bakugou's poor work-study conduct sink Bakugou's reputation further.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: Bakugou doesn't understand Aizawa's point over heroics not being a competition due to the existence of the hero ranks. He's still focused on the idea of being the strongest hero rather than the best hero. That makes people who know his point of view even more disdainful of his actions.
- Erotic Dream: Bakugou had some awkward dreams staring Camie and Kirishima. Sometimes with them together.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Bakugou was blindsided that Mina, one of his friends was willing to have both of them flunk than work with him.
- Glory Days: Katsuki focuses on how everyone told him growing up that he was going to be a hero, that he was the best, and that he was better than everybody to get through.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Bakugou is so used to have Izuku adoring him that hes both angry and disturbed when Izuku stops. Bakugou belatedly realizes that he took Izukus adoration for granted.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Bakugou is a genuinely talent kid with a very powerful Quirk. But he sabotages his own chances for success by being an abusive asshole.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Combined with Best Jeanists bad review of Bakugou, Bakugous bullying and bad attitude sink his chances of getting an internship with Hawks or Mirko.
- Ignored Epiphany: Katsuki is sick and tired of being treated like hes unimportant and ignored. Does he reflect on his treatment of Izuku? Nope.
- It's All About Me: Bakugou gets more angry that no one outside of his friends consider him the strongest anymore and everyone else focuses on the Hosu Quartet
- Karma Houdini Warranty: Bakugou abused Izuku with his bullying for a decade and got away with it virtually unpunished. That finally begins to change with Izuku tells his family how Bakugou influenced his decision to accept One for All. With Hawks knowing that Bakugou is a horrible bully, he warns Mirko against giving Bakugou an internship. Combined with Bakugou's bad reputation from the Sport Festival and Best Jeanist's internship, karma is finally coming for Bakugou.
- Love at First Punch: Camie literally throws Bakugou out on his ass for his harassment of her mentor, Haruto. Bakugou fell for her instantly.
- Never My Fault: Bakugou believes the backlash against him is out of proportion. He sees it as taking him to task for how he treated Izuku when they were tots. Failing to realize that he abused Izuku for a decade and only recently stopped weeks ago due to outside intervention.
- Skewed Priorities: Bakugou is more angry that no one is paying attention to him instead of being concerned that his classmates having nearly been murdered.
- Small Role, Big Impact: With Bakugou being Demoted to Extra, his role isn't as big as canon. But his impact shapes Izukus relationship with his quirk, his mother and his newfound cousin Hawks. Bakugous impacts on Izuku effects major players like Hawks and Mirko, who pointedly decide against recruiting him which open them up to their interns suggestions of their more worthier classmates.
- Society Is to Blame: Bakugou doesnt understand why people have a problem with how he treated Izuku; everyone treated Izuku badly, the extras, teachers! Only for Bakugou to remember that Inko successfully sued the school district over how Izuku was treated.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Katsuki hasn't been stalking the blogs dedicated to the Interns and Hawks, because he totally hasnt.
- Unknown Rival: Bakugou considers Izuku his biggest rival for strongest student. Izuku doesnt have time to react to Bakugous constant baiting and nor does he care to.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Tokoyami points out that Mei might try to fix Tenyas poor eyesight by making him bionic eyes if Tenya doesnt get contacts or prescription goggles. Tenya knows thats completely in Meis character and very worrisome.
- Innocently Insensitive: She doesnt realize that humiliating Iida in the Sports Festival to sell her inventions made him understandably wary of her.
- Insufferable Genius: Mei attempts to browbeat Tenya into letting her make armor for him by insulting his familys traditional armors practicality. She doesnt seem to understand that insulting Tenyas beloved family traditions wont make him change his mind.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mei is rather abrasive to say the least but she is trying to help.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While Mei didnt have to insult Tenyas family traditions, she does have a point that his armor is more hindrance than help
- Karmic Jackpot: Its through Meis genuinely altruistic act of making Tenya better protection on the field that she gets the attention she sought from high-ranking and popular heroes.
- Loving Bully: Mei annoys Tenya and constantly ribs at his family traditions and the impracticality of his armor nor respect Tenyas desire to leave him alone. She does all of this in a well-meaning but poorly communicated attempt to keep Tenya safe by having him wear better protection on the field.
- No Social Skills: While Mei is a nice girl with good intentions she is very pushy and insensitive which undermine her efforts. It takes Tenya a while to realize her pushiness to upgrade his costume is her way of flirting.
- Sixth Ranger: She is included in the Aery-Warren clique in Yuuei despite not being part of either agency in any official capacity.
- Demoted to Extra: Lampshaded by Uraraka. Her first friends at UA have no time to spend with her, meaning she rarely gets any spotlight.
- Broken Pedestal: While Mina didnt like Bakugous attitude, she still saw him as a friend. Shes angry when she finds out about Bakugous cruel bullying of Izuku through the rumor mill, and learns that it's all true.
- Bully Hunter: Mina spent years defending Kirishima from bullies and is rather disappointed that her friend Bakugou is one.
- Everyone Has Standards: Bakugou might be her friend, but Mina's appalled that Bakugou suicide-baited Izuku and bullied him. They are not friends anymore afterwards.
- Heel Realization: Mina realizes that she needs to put aside her grievances when she has to work with someone on the battlefield. Had it been an actual villain, her refusal could mean the villain getting away or someone dying.
- Honor Before Reason: Ashido refuses to work with Bakugou during the practical exam even if it meant they would both fail
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: The friendly Ashido refusing to work with Bakugou during the final exam battle against All Might.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: As a former Bully Hunter Ashido opposes to working with Bakugou on principle. She refused to team up with Bakugou for their practical exam against All Might. Bakugou had to be the one to convince her.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Minas reaction that she has work with Bakugou for the practical exam.
The School as a whole
- Never My Fault: Despite Shiketsu nearly being being UA's equal, the majority of the Top Hundred Heroes are UA graduates. Shiketsu blames their graduates for not representing the school properly when their strict attitudes and restrictions causes their graduates to be too inflexible to survive in the field.
- Brick Joke: Hawks and Camie described what they believe Shiketsu losers are like and four-five chapters later Seiji has arrived and proven their point.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Hawk and Camie describe what a Shiketsu loser is. Four-five chapters later, Seiji is introduced and he fits the stereotype to the T.
- Control Freak: Seiji attempts to force Camie and Inasa into his box of proper Shiketsu student
- He-Man Woman Hater: Seiji especially dislikes Camie for not acting like what he thinks is a proper Shiketsu student, referring her solely as the ditz.
- I Resemble That Remark!: Hawks and Camie describe a "Shit-ketsu loser" as thus: overly serious, rigid, entitled Control Freaks. When Seiji is introduced, he's exactly that.
- No True Scotsman: Seiji hates that Mirko and Hawks dont act with the dignity and honor of Shiketsu alumni and dont care about their old alma meter at all. Hes hoping to show them up by acting how a true Shiketsu alumni should act.
- Stop Having Fun Guy: Seiji greatly dislikes Inasa especially Camie for not acting with the seriousness and dignity befitting a Shiketsu student despite being higher-ranked than him.