This is the list of characters and their tropes for Coronation Street. Be warned though, the cast is voluminous. Only current characters have full character sheets since doing one for the hundreds that have existed in the show's history would probably be a lifelong project. Characters not currently appearing on the show and certain very notable dead characters have their own section with brief descriptions at the bottom of the page.
This page is current as of January 2017 in Coronation Street. If you are not caught up, beware spoilers!
- Duration: 2015 —Birthday: 30 July 1953 (aged 65)Family: Jenny Connor (wife); Aidan Connor (son); Carla Connor (daughter); Kate Connor (daughter); Michelle Connor (second cousin once removed), Liam Connor (second cousin twice removed)
- Broken Bird: He was destroyed by Aidan's suicide. Becoming wrathful, manipulative and unreasonable with Jenny and going on the warpath for custody of Susie as she is Aidan's daughter. Despite Eva wanting to raise Susie herself and trying to comprise with Johnny by remorsefully telling him that she wants to make amends for what happened to Aidan as well as telling him that Aidan did know about his newfound parenthood.
- Cool Old Guy: Despite being in his early sixties, he can still hold his own in fights and was able to knock Phelan and Matthew to ground with a single punch.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When he found out about his Multiple Sclerosis. He chose to break up with Jenny so he wouldn't be a burden to her. They eventually patched things up and got married.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He docks the wages of the Underworld Staff after discovering that they were avoiding work by watching a movie on working hours. Johnny wasn't wrong in punishing the workers and needed to display authority for their lack of respect towards him. Granted docking the wages was a bit extreme but a punishment was still needed.
- Papa Wolf: He punches Phelan for grappling Aidan. He also holds Tracey captive in the factory to prevent her from ruining Carla's wedding.
- Your Cheating Heart: On his wife Louise, which is how Carla was born. He also kissed Liz while married to Jenny but Liz quickly put a stop to this by telling him that she values him as friend, not a lover.
- Duration: 1986— 1991, 1993, 2015 —Birthday: 13 March 1971 (aged 46)Family: Johnny Connor (husband); Aidan Connor (stepson); Carla Connor (stepdaughter); Kate Connor (stepdaughter)
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Jenny was definitely this during the 80's, though she mostly grew out of it.
- The Bus Came Back: A regular character in the eighties and nineties, she was absent from Corrie for over twenty years before returning in 2015, as Kevin Webster's romantic interest. Left again briefly but returned in 2016.
- Parental Abandonment: Her father, Alan Bradley, abandoned Jenny and her mother as a child and only reconnected with her after social services' contacted him following Jenny's mother's death in a car accident in 1986.
- Sympathy for the Devil: For Alan Bradley, despite knowing that he tried to kill Rita. Justified in that he's her father.
- Duration: 1997 — 2000, 2004 —Birthday: 2 July 1981 (aged 35)Family: Nick Tilsley (husband); Les Battersby (father); Stella Price (mother); Gloria Price (grandmother); Eva Price (half sister); Simon Barlow (adoptive son)
- Good Bad Girl: Originally. Although she has settled down, she's still is a tough cookie.
- High-Class Call Girl: Was one for a few months, although the rest of the street will probably never let her forget it.
- Jerkass: Initially had a habit of riling up her ex-husband Peter whenever they were in the same room. Has since grown out of this to become one of the nicest characters on the show.
- Karma Houdini
- Mama Bear: To Simon Barlow.
- Duration: 1960 —Birthday: 9 October 1939 (aged 78)Family: Peter Barlow (son); Tracy Barlow (adoptive daughter); Simon Barlow (grandson); Amy Barlow (granddaughter); Deirdre Barlow (deceased wife)
- Arch-Enemy: Mike Baldwin, for literally decades, until his death a few years ago.
- Cultural Rebel: Ken was the first in his family to attend University and has always aspired to somewhat more intellectual than his neighbours and family.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Ken had this reaction when he was provoked into hitting one of his students in class.
- Politically Motivated Teacher: An ardent socialist, he enjoyed sharing his views with a captive audience or just anyone really.
- Put on a Bus / Real Life Writes the Plot: He was out of the show whilst his trial was in progress. The explanation given was that he was visiting Canada. Having been found not guilt, The Bus Came Back.
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born: His son and daughter, Peter and Susan.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: He has had moments of this with all of his adult children. While somewhat justified (like when Tracy killed her boyfriend), his treating Peter (who is basically a well meaning chronic screw-up) and Lawrence (who had just met a few weeks ago) like this is an example of his frustration with his working class existence. Comes up again after his stroke in 2016, which sees all his children (plus a grandchild) gather around to look after him and be criticized by him.
- Your Cheating Heart: Frequently. His last affair was only a couple of years ago and he has never been faithful to any of his wives. Although his most recent wife Deirdre was not that much better, having had several affairs herself.
- Duration: 2003, 2008 —Birthday: 6 July 2003 (aged 15)Family: Peter Barlow (father); Leanne Tilsley (adoptive mother); Ken Barlow (grandfather)
- Enfant Terrible: He physically and verbally abused his adoptive mother Leanne at the age of 12.
- I Am Not My Father: After his father is found guilty of Tina's murder, Simon says he wants to be known by his first surname (Richards) in order to not let anyone know they're related.
- Innocent Prodigy
- Jerkass: To Sunita's kids when he made some rude comments about their mother. He's also lied to try and get Carla in trouble with Peter.
- Duration: 2000 —Birthday: 5 May 1983 (aged 34)Family: Liam Connor, Jr (son); Kirk Sutherland (brother)
- The Ditz: Sweet but dim, that's our Maria.
- Extreme Doormat: Perhaps the reason why her relationship with Nick lasted as long as it did.
- Really Gets Around: It would be quicker to name the men in Weatherfield Maria hasn't dated at some point. Her exes include Nick Tilsley, Tyrone Dobbs, John Arnley, Charlie Stubbs, Jason Grimshaw, Aidan Scott, Vikram Desai, Liam Connor...
Liam Connor, Jr.
- Duration: 2009, 2010 —Birthday: 3 July 2009 (aged 8)Family: Maria Connor (mother); Liam Connor (father); Kirk Sutherland (uncle); Michelle Connor (aunt); Ryan Connor (first cousin)
- Duration: 1994 — 1997, 1999 —Birthday: 5 March 1940 (aged 77)
- The Chew Toy: Often brings it on himself.
- Gossipy Hens: Rare male version. When someone is discussing something private in the Kabin or near him (or even not near him), he can always be seen trying to (non) subtly listen in.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a gossipy hen and trying to stick his nose into others' business generally, he does have his kind moments. For example, he comforted Rita when she was upset about the Rovers fire.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All
- Nosy Neighbor: To an extreme level. Will eavesdrop into others' conversations whenever he can.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Short Guy with Glasses
- Small Name, Big Ego: Trust us when we say that Norris has an opinion on everything!
- Duration: 2003, 2004 —Birthday: 13 September 1976 (aged 41)
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Camp Gay: In contrast to his ex-boyfriend Marcus Dent.
- Hot for Preacher: His relationship with Billy, the local Anglican vicar.
- Duration: 2010, 2011 — 2013, 2015, 2016 —Birthday: 20 August 1963 (aged 54)Where currently: Wales.
- Duration: 1986 —Birthday: 14 July 1967 (aged 50)Family: Tim Metcalfe (husband);Rosie Webster (daughter); Sophie Webster (daughter); Kevin Webster (ex husband)
- Jerkass: Treated Carla Connor like dirt after she was raped by Frank Foster and worked for him instead. Although she did apologise for it after, and is working with Underworld again.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sally may come off as unlikable at times but underneath her snobby behavior She is a deeply kind person. She loves her daughters,was the the only factory worker to acknowledge their fault in the factory roof collapse, not blaming it all on Carla, let Abi come to live with her and tried to expose Geoff when she knew it would strain her marriage with Tim.
- Jerkass Has a Point: She had no right to call social services on Seb's family, especially when they were making the effort to keep the family together with Anna's help. But, it's hard to argue with her when she said that the twins are safer because of it.
- Last Disrespects: She gatecrashed John Stapes funeral and loudly insulted him in front of his family and friends. In her defence John did kidnap Rosie prior to his death so she had a legitimate reason to spite him.
- Love Hungry: To Tim Metcalfe.
- Rich Bitch: Often seen as this by the other factory girls. To be fair though, she is very snobbish and big-headed.
- Small Name, Big Ego: She likes to consider herself middle-class, despite working in a factory.
Sally: I can't go to prison, Gail. I just can't. They always pick on the middle-class ones - I'd have to do all sorts to get a hold of decent toilet paper.
- There was a hilarious scene in April 2014 when Maddie called Sally and Kevin middle-class — Sally was delighted with that description but Kevin got rather offended.
- She said it again in February 2015:
- Social Climber: Turned Up to Eleven after winning the Weatherfield Council byelection.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on Kevin with car salesman Ian Davenport in 2002.
- Duration: 2013 —Birthday: 28 January 1972 (aged 45)Family: Sally Metcalfe (partner); Faye Windass (daughter)
- Conflicting Loyalty: He tried to remain neutral in the coflict between Sally and Geoff.
- Excellent Judge of Character: Was one of the first people to see Pat Phelan for the evil man he was.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Only when it concerns his father.
- Parental Neglect: When Faye lived with him, he left her on her own, let her go hungry and didn't pay for her to go on school trips. Anna hoped these factors will make Faye come back to live with her — they did, eventually.
- Papa Wolf: He threatened Seb after learning he and Faye had sex.
- Undying Loyalty: One of the few people who stood by Anna when Phelan framed her for attempted murder.
- You Look Familiar: The actor Joe Duttine played a completely different character in 2010 — he was one of two policemen, DS Max Carr, who investigated Gail's alleged murder of Joe McIntyre.
- You're Not My Father: Now he has learned about his father's abuse of Yasmeen he wants nothing to do with him.
- Duration: 2003 —Birthday: 26 July 1994 (aged 23)Family: Joseph Brown (son); Cilla Battersby-Brown (mother); Fiz Stape (sister)
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Does Not Like Shoes- Inverted; in fact, in an episode from 2004, Cilla tells him to go to his bath, and to "take your socks off this time!"
- Fiery Redhead: Especially when Katy dumped him.
- Friend to All Living Things: Particularly to his dog Schmeichel.
- I Warned You: To Fiz, about John.
- Teen Pregnancy: He and his former partner, Katy.
- The Woobie: Abandoned by his mother, cheated on twice, lost his business in the market stalls after a break-in, and had his child moved to another country
- Duration: 2011 —Birthday: 21 November 1974 (aged 42)Family: Kirk Sutherland (husband); Craig Tinker (son); Sinead Tinker (niece)
- Abhorrent Admirer: Formerly to Steve McDonald.
- Character Development: Like with her son, when she first appeared she was considerably more coarse and outspoken. While she is still rather outspoken, she has changed quite a bit since then.
- Expy: Probably of Cilla Battersby-Brown, who left the show a few years before her arrival.
- Hilarity ensued when these two met each other in late 2014 and did not seem to get on.
- Gossipy Hens: Almost as bad as Norris Cole.
- Unluckily Lucky: Despite being used as comic relief and is shown to be sometimes unlucky. Beth's marriage to Kirk is the strongest so far and her son Craig is kindhearted, a talented artist and a police officer.
- Your Cheating Heart: Played with. A couple of years after she married Kirk Sutherland, it emerged that she was still married to her first husband and Craig's father. Narrowly avoided jail time.
- Duration: 2000 —Birthday: 28 January 1982 (aged 35)Family: Beth Sutherland (wife); Maria Connor (sister); Liam Connor, Jr (nephew)
- Dumb Is Good: He is a very kind soul whatever else you can say about him.
- Friend to All Living Things: Has said more than once he understands dogs better than people.
- Too Dumb to Live: He's lucky the residents of the street are kind (particularly his ex Fiz and sister Maria) or he would have starved years ago.
- Duration: 2011 —Birthday: 2 September 1998 (aged 19)Family: Beth Sutherland (mother); Sinead Tinker (first cousin)
- Being Good Sucks: Craig's altruism and kindness has often backfired on him or lead to problems. He was assaulted by Owen when he begrudgingly supported Faye during her secret pregnancy, Owen mistook Craig as the father of the baby. He displayed great courage and loyalty to Bethany during her ordeal with Nathan's sex ring but she initially rejected his crush on her and secretly became a stripper while they were together. The final part is understandable considering her traumatic ordeal but it is not justified since she could have sought therapy or voiced her trauma.
- Character Development: When he first appeared, Craig was a scary and rough looking boy who had a creepy stare and a menacing attitude to Steve. Over the years, he has turned into a lovely guy and was Faye's closest friend and supported her through her secret pregnancy. Was enrolled in the special constable program with Greater Manchester Police but was rejected once they (as well as himself) discovered that his biological father was still in prison and had a long criminal record.
- Creepy Child: When he first appeared, he stared menacingly at Steve for the entire duration of Steve and Beth's date in the Bistro.
- Creepy Good: Before becoming a police officer, Craig was often mistaken as a troublemaker and young offender. For example, Beth believed that Craig was a vandal spray painting graffiti but he was actually creating a memorial painting for Maddie Heath, the recently deceased girlfriend of Sophie Webster.
- Disappeared Dad: His biological father is a jailbird and was in prison for the majority of Craig's life.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Craig has become quite nice and charming in recent years and is a fan favourite.
- Everyone Can See It: Craig has a crush on his friend Bethany Platt and a lot of people figured it out such as his mother and Arch Enemies Nathan Curtis and Neil Clifton. Bethany seems to reciprocate his crush during her storyline.
- Hidden Depths: In his first appearance he was labelled a Creepy Child with an unsettling gaze but he had skills in pottery which impressed Deirdre. He was also suspected of being a vandal or committing crimes but it was revealed that he is a talented street artist. His street art was initially mistaken for a work of Banksy and it would have been worth a fortune if a professional had approved it but it was regarded as a close copy after analysing it.
- Gentle Giant: He towers over most of the other characters and is roughly among the tallest of the young adult characters. He is one of the nicest characters in the series.
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Craig thought that a lit cigarette he had smoked had set the Rovers on fire (it was actually Karl Munro). Karl found out and tried to coerce and finally threaten to kill his mother in order to keep him quiet. He was also reluctantly keeping faye's pregnancy a secret.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: His biological father is a self-serving jailbird and drug addict but Craig is the opposite and quickly abandons him when he discovers his true personality.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Faye told him to keep her pregnancy a secret and he is nearly assaulted by Owen, who believed that he was the father. He pinned him to a post to force a confession and punched Kirk in the face during the struggle. He is also close to Bethany Platt and shows signs of having a crush on her but Nathan labels him a stalker to Bethany and she ignores his attempts to support her during the time she was bullied by Lauren.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: He isn't bothered or distracted when his work leads him to a strip club. The only time he was distracted by the strippers was when he discovered that Bethany was one of them. He found the place disgusting and was appalled at how people can go to such places.
- Secret Keeper: For Karl Munro, whom he saw leaving and locking the door of the Rovers the night of the fire. He eventually confesses and Karl is jailed. He also reluctantly kept Faye's pregnancy a secret for her.
- Duration: 2011 — 2015, 2017 —Birthday: 28 January 1982 (aged 35)Family: Chesney Brown (father); Izzy Armstrong (aunt); Jake Windass (first cousin)
- Duration: 2014 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Geoff Metcalfe (husband); Kal Nazir (son); Alya Nazir (granddaughter); Zeedan Nazir (grandson)
- Apron Matron: Begins her time on the show quite driven and feisty.
- But Not Too Foreign: Was introduced as a member of the first Muslim family on the street, but this aspect of her character's been completely ignored over time, and she never wore a hijab to begin with.
- The Dog Bites Back: Eventually snaps, out of fear when Geoff corners her in the kitchen during one of his tirades, stabbing him with a broken bottle.
- Domestic Abuse: Geoff gradually subjects her to a heavy dose of the emotional variety.
- Extreme Doormat: Becomes this while married to Geoff, not leaving him after he locks her up for hours, repeatedly subjects her to horrific verbal abuse, forces her to clean obsessively and hires prostitutes (giving her an STI in the process) among other things.
- Parental Substitute: For Rana, when Yasmeen found out about the affair between Rana and Kate. She was initially furious but soon accepted Rana's evident guilt and forced marriage with Zeedan. When Rana's parents caught her in the act with Kate and prominently disowned her, Yasmeen defended her and stood against her parents.
- Plucky Woman: She has no problem violently protesting to try and save the library and has been arrested before for her protests. Completely deconstructed during her marriage to Geoff.
- Sanity Slippage: Is gaslit into wilfully ignoring all the signs, tries desperately to try and get Geoff to, from her perspective love her again during the downward cycles, then ultimately snaps and stabs him when it becomes too much.
- Stepford Smiler: Even before Geoff, she could have this tendency.
- Tranquil Fury: When she finds out about an affair between Sharif and Sonia. She calmly yet furiously tells off Sharif, Sonia and Alya before kicking them out.
- What Does She See in Him?: A large chunk of the audience's reaction to her continued marriage to Geoff the worse his abuse gets. In-story she was slowly and thoroughly gaslit into believing that it was all her fault.
- Your Cheating Heart: Becomes on the receiving end by way of both her husbands.
- Duration: 2018 — 2020Birthday: UnknownFamily: Tim Metcalfe (son); Yasmeen Nazir (wife)
- Bad People Abuse Animals: Kills and tries to feed Yasmeen's pet chicken Charlotte to her because he felt she was paying her too much attention.
- Bald of Evil: Of the pattern baldness type.
- British Teeth: His very yellow chompers add to his villainous aura.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Goes so far as to have a hidden Spy Cam in Yasmeen's house so that even if he's out, he can watch her whenever he likes.
- Crouching Nice Guy Hidden Jerkass: Knows how to appear the perfect loving husband, in public.
- Domestic Abuser: Abuses Yasmeen without ever actually hitting her, and did so also to a previous wife.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He has some genuine love for his son and tries to keep Tim from finding out what he's really like.
- Evil All Along: He started out seeming harmless enough, but deep into his abuse of Yasmeen it was revealed he'd done it to a previous partner.
- Hate Sink: He's gradually come to have no characterization besides being an evil, cartoonish domestic abuser audiences wish a traumatic end upon.
- Manipulative Bastard: Is just as good at making Yasmeen look like the unstable one, if not the outright abuser, to their family and friends, never mind what he does to Yasmeen herself.
- Mask of Sanity: So strong even his own son has no idea.
- Münchausen Syndrome: He doesn't actually have it, but pretending he's ill is just one way he exerts control over Yasmeen, exploiting a 'dust allergy' to make her clean obsessively.
- Politically Correct Villain: Just in the sense that his verbal abuse of Yasmeen never turns racial.
- Psychological Projection: Loves to tell Yasmeen how abused he feels being married to her.
- Waiting for a Break: Entwined in the abuse storyline saw him failing to make a career out of being a magician.
- Your Cheating Heart: Giving Yasmeen chlamydia through cheating on her with prostitutes was one of the penultimate events that lead to Yasmeen's breaking point.
- Duration: 2014 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Rana Habeeb (wife); Kal Nazir (father); Alya Nazir (sister); Sharif Nazir (grandfather); Yasmeen Nazir (grandmother)
- Duration: 2016 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Zeedan Nazir (husband)
- Duration: 2014 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Kal Nazir (father); Sharif Nazir (grandfather); Yasmeen Nazir (grandmother); Zeedan Nazir (brother)
- Daddy's Girl
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Not hates so much, but it's clear that Kal and the entire Nazir family doesn't approve of her having a relationship with Gary Windass.
- Did They or Didn't They?: With Gary; it's how she first comes into Coronation Street. They didn't, he slept on the sofa.
- Expy: Somewhat. Brought in to be one of Tina.
- Little Miss Snarker
Devendra 'Dev' Alahan
- Duration: 1999 —Birthday: 2 March 1964 (aged 53)Family: Asha Alahan (daughter); Aadi Alahan (son); Sunita Alahan (former wife); Erica Holroyd (partner)
- Asian Store-Owner: Of the Corner Shop and several other shops.
- Kavorka Man: Before his marriage to Sunita anyway. Arguably after, too.
- Large Ham: Due to his often lack of an indoor voice and unusual speech patterns.
- Small Name, Big Ego
Asha and Aadi Alahan
- Duration: 2006, 2009 —Birthday: 13 January 2006 (aged 11)Family: Dev Alahan (father); Sunita Alahan (mother)
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born: In 2006.
- Duration: 2008 — 2009, 2010 —Birthday: 1974 (aged 42/43)Family: Jude Appleton (son); George Appleton (grandson)
- Abhorrent Admirer: Norris certainly views her as this; he has never accepted her advances or her attempts to get close to him.
- Big Eater: Much to Norris's annoyance, she has an absent-minded habit of endlessly eating the sweets in the Kabin while working.
- Cerebus Retcon: Mary was raped in her early teens by a minister and her mother didn't believe her. She ended up having his child and she refused to raise him, so they resorted to leaving the baby at the doorstep of St.Jude's.
- Chekhov's Skill: Her piano playing — came in handy when Rita Tanner needed someone to accompany her singing in the Rovers at Christmas 2010 ("A Winter's Tale" by David Essex).
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Of the highest order.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Seems to have had one with her mother Maureen, whose many bizarre behaviours (not going out at night due to her fear of owls etc) seem to have made Mary cut ties with her and talk about her as if she were dead.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Although she can be arrogant and rude at times, she does have a kind moment. For example, when she won a flight to America as a prize in a competition, she instead gave the tickets to Roy and Hayley so that they could go and see Sylvia.
- Large Ham
- Noodle Incident: The many, many stories she tells about her upbringing and in particular her mother Maureen's behaviour and oddities.
- Regional Speciality: Is well trained in a variety of different cuisines of different cultures (French, Greek, Moroccan, Russian, Spanish etc) and has put on themed nights in Roy's Rolls and The Bistro, before she got fired
- Single-Target Sexuality: Towards Norris.
- And then Roy Cropper, for a while.
- Now it's Dev Alahan.
- Briefly a paranormal expert named Brendan, even though he was married.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Like Norris, she appears to have a much higher opinion of her talents and skills than other people.
- Younger Than They Look: Perhaps due to her dress sense or hairstyle; she is only meant to be 39 years old.
- Duration: 1974 —Birthday: 16 April 1958 (aged 59)Family: Michael Rodwell (ex-husband); Nick Tilsley (son); David Platt (son); Sarah Platt (daughter); Bethany Platt (granddaughter); Audrey Roberts (mother)
- Arch-Enemy: Eileen Grimshaw, who took great pleasure in gloating when Lewis Archer stole all her money.
- It seems to have dissipated somewhat in 2016 after Michael (who both she and Eileen dated at different stages) died. Gail even asked Eileen to accompany her in the main car on the way to the funeral and they hugged after.
- Cartwright Curse: As she herself points out before Michael's funeral, most (four out of five; Martin Platt is still alive off-screen) of her husbands have died.
- Extreme Doormat: Her last husband was a drug addict who stole from her repeatedly and drowned while trying to fake his own death, but she loved him anyway.
- Her life savings were stolen from her by conman Lewis Archer.
- Hypocrite: She repeatedly spoke against Audrey for dating Lewis Archer but she soon started dating him when they broke up and planned to leave the country with him. Turns out the whole thing was a scam because Lewis genuinely reformed but Gail's actions brought back the worst in him. He only dated her so he can rob her and ruin her life, in turn for ruining his happiness with Audrey.
- Miscarriage of Justice: Was suspected of killing her husband Joe, who was trying to fake his death and drowned. Fortunately, she was found not guilty.
- My Beloved Smother: Her boys never do anything wrong despite being two of the show's main antagonists for the past few years.
- Parental Obliviousness
- Post-Robbery Trauma: After Michael Rodwell (unsuccessfully) tried to burgle her home.
- Duration: 1990 —Birthday: 25 December 1990 (aged 26)Family: Lily Platt (daughter); Max Turner (adoptive son); Gail Rodwell (mother); Audrey Roberts (grandmother); Nick Tilsley (half brother); Sarah Platt (half sister); Bethany Platt (niece); Kylie Platt (deceased wife)
- Attention Whore: His main reason for doing anything.
- Arch-Enemy; Ever since Gary windass was inroduced into the show in 2008 David has feuded with him on and off ever since.They have beeen several occasions where they seemed to have make peace(one of which was feigned by David and one of which was genuine after Gary defended him in court) the two are always back at each other's throats eventually.
- Crusading Widower: He had planned to firebomb Clayton Hibbs' police van as revenge for Kylie's murder but was stopped by his family and crashed his car on the street before he had a chance to get to the court.
- Distressed Dude: Of all the characters on the street, David seems to get himself in the most dangerous situations. He's been kidnapped, bound and gagged on a number of occasions and he takes a lot of physical punishment fairly regularly.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Even at his worst he was still shown to care about his little neice,Bethany being absoloutely guilt-ridden after she took an ectasy tablet he had been keeping for his friend and almost died as a result.By the time she had grown up David had become a much kinder man and was still very protective of her.
- Jerkass: Spent many years as this, now wavers between it and Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Momma's Boy: Despite once shoving her down the stairs, he was the first person to run to her when she was falsely imprisoned for Joe McIntyre's murder.
- Mr. Fanservice: Not the most obvious hunk, but there is something quite attractive about him. He has been given quite a few Shirtless Scenes over the years and the camera does focus on his bulge from time to time.
- Smug Snake
- The Sociopath: He was played as one for several years but this behaviour has disappeared over time as he's apparently 'mellowed out'.
- This trait returned again when he found out about Kylie cheating with Nick. While he still loved her, he was furious with Nick and had no problem smashing up his flat.
- In 2016, he had planned to firebomb Clayton Hibbs' police van as revenge for Kylie's murder but was stopped by his family. Still caused plenty of havoc in the process, including severe burns on Anna Windass' legs after his car rolled and leaked petrol.
- The Unfavorite: Compared to high achiever Nick and teenage mother Sarah Louise, he never got much attention and he never fails to remind his mother of that.
- Tattoo as Character Type: He has a small tattoo of a tribal heart on his upper right arm. Within the heart is the name "Tina" which is a reference to his on-off girlfriend Tina McIntyre who was murdered in 2014. He got the tattoo when he was younger as a declaration of love for Tina but she hated it immediately. From then on the tattoo isn't talked about or mentioned, and since Tina's death the tattoo takes a new meaning as a memorial tattoo.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After he settles down with Kylie, he becomes a very devoted husband and a fantastic father
- Troll: At one stage, it was possibly the only way to really describe his character. He simply liked getting a rise out of people or stirring up trouble for other people.
- Duration: 2010 —Birthday: 5 September 2006 (aged 11)Family: Kylie Platt (mother); Lily Platt (half sister); Callum Logan (biological father); David Platt (adoptive father); Gail Rodwell (step-grandmother); Audrey Roberts (step-great-grandmother); Nick Tilsley (step-uncle); Sarah Platt (step-aunt); Bethany Platt (step-cousin)
- Attention Deficit OOHSHINY: In 2014, he started acting bizzarely — breaking things, shooting Norris with a water pistol, being restless and full of energy. He was later diagnosed with ADHD.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: His hair is blond and he is (mostly) a sweet-natured child.
- Duration: 2013 —Birthday: 26 August 2013 (aged 4)Family: Kylie Platt (mother); David Platt (father); Max Turner (half brother); Nick Tilsley (uncle); Becky Granger (aunt); Gail Rodwell (grandmother); Audrey Roberts (great-grandmother)
- Duration: 1998 —Birthday: 17 December 1982 (aged 34)Family: Fiz Stape (partner); Ruby Dobbs (daughter)
- Dogged Nice Guy: Even when Kirsty was beating him, he refused to fight back.
- Dumb Is Good
- Mr Fix It: He is a car mechanic.
Fiona 'Fiz' Stape
- Duration: 2001 — 2014, 2015 —Birthday: 25 September 1984 (aged 33)Family: Tyrone Dobbs (partner); Hope Stape (daughter); Chesney Brown (sister); Joseph Brown (nephew); Cilla Battersby-Brown (mother)
- Fiery Redhead: At times.
- Genki Girl
- Miscarriage of Justice: Was found guilty of murder, along with her husband John Stape, even though it was only him. Fortunately, he confessed before he died and she was released.
- Plucky Girl
- Prison Episode: Several, when she was in prison before her trial for murder.
- Duration: 2010 —Birthday: 6 December 2010 (aged 6)Family: Fiz Stape (mother); John Stape (father); Chesney Brown (uncle); Joseph Brown (first cousin)
- Disappeared Dad: Her father John Stape died of his injuries sustained while on the run for murder.
- Duration: 2012 —Birthday: 9 September 2012 (aged 5)Family: Tyrone Dobbs (father); Kirsty Soames (mother)
- Fake Mixed Race: The baby that plays her is obviously much darker than one would expect from a person who is three-quarters white.
- Duration: 1964, 1972 —Birthday: 25 February 1932 (aged 85)Family: Dennis Tanner (husband)
- Cool Old Lady: She frequently acts as a mentor to many a troubled young woman, such as Tina McIntyre.
- Fiery Redhead: Though not a natural redhead, much to her embarrassment.
- Musical Episode: She has sung a number of times, most recently A Winter's Tale by David Essex a few weeks after the Tram Crash in 2010.
- Straight Man: To Norris's blustering Small Name, Big Ego.
Gemini 'Gemma' Winter
- Duration: 2014 —Birthday: Unknown.
- Bare Your Midriff: Not a Fanservice example but at least she's comfortable in her skin.
- HeelFace Turn: In the past, she acted as one of Callum's helpers and in fact helped torture David Platt at one point. Since she left her old neighbourhood, she's become kinder and even won a Weatherfield Good Samaritan award in 2016.
- Lower-Class Lout: Before she came to the street permanently.
- Punch-Clock Villain: When she was with Callum she was only a problem when under his orders, outside of that she knew when to be civil.
- Duration: 2000 —Birthday: 7 October 1961 (aged 56)Family: Pat Phelan (wife), Todd Grimshaw (son); Jason Grimshaw (son); Julie Carp (half sister);
- Butt-Monkey: Even by soap standards, Eileen has a hard life.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Mama Bear: God help you if you hurt one of her boys.
- Duration: 2001 — 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013 — 2017Birthday: 13 January 1985 (aged 32)Family: Eileen Grimshaw (mother); Jason Grimshaw (brother); Billy Mayhew (partner)
- Disproportionate Retribution: Since his return, he concocts well thought out revenge schemes against those he feels have wronged him.
- Gayngst: When he was going out with Sarah Platt, she was pregnant with their baby and he realised he was gay. It didn't help matters that he kissed her brother and was having an affair with nurse Karl Foster during it.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Following Bruno Langley's real life sacking, Todd suddenly left the show and went on the run off-screen after attacking a police officer.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Like with Ryan Connor, he has devolved from a likable, studious character to a selfish and derelict jerk.
- Straight Gay
- Your Cheating Heart: He seems to have a thing for stealing Shaun's boyfriends, as he's done it twice now.
- Duration: 2014 —Family: Todd Grimshaw (partner)
- Cain and Abel: Whereas Billy is a genuine Nice Guy who wants what's best for everyone around him his brother Lee is a Jerkass crimianl who went as far as to kidnap Billy's friend Sarah in order to blckmail him for money.
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil: He sees the best in people even when they don't deserve it.
- HeelFace Turn: Before being intorduced into the show Billy used to be part of a gang of criminals and even told One of them to leave Susan Barlow for dead after they accidentially ran her over.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He was guilt-ridden when Josh Tucker was put in hospital after He warned one of Josh's unsuspecting victims that Josh planned to rape them.
- Nice Guy: Genuinely belives there's good in everyone and goes out of his way to help others such as giving Shona a place to stay and getting her a job at the cafe.
- Odd Friendship: Developed one with David platt after learning about his rape and trying to give him some emotional support.
- Sexy Priest
Sebastian "Seb" Franklin
- Duration: 2016 — presentBirthday: 2001 (aged 17)Family: Abi Franklin (mother); Charlie Franklin (half-brother); Lexi Franklin (half sister); Faye Windass (ex girlfriend)
- Abusive Parents: Abi didn't care one bit about him. She frequently neglected him and his siblings due to her drug addiction and left Seb to look after his siblings. Abi also neglected to tell him that he is HIV positive. His home life was so bad that he planned to run away with Faye until he was unknowingly reminded of his siblings.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Faye's family initially took a liking to him but grew to despise him due to his criminal record but Faye kept dating him. The family eventually warmed up to him again when Anna discovered his home life.
- Freudian Excuse: His behaviour was a result of Abi's neglect and the stress of being a carer for Charlie and Lexi. Abi's abusive ex-boyfriend didn't help either.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Seb assaulted Jackson in a fit of jealousy when he returned with Miley and when Anna told him that Faye was getting back together with him.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: He tries to run away with Faye and does a runner when he figures out that Pat Phelan killed Luke.
- Duration: 1983 —Birthday: 3 September 1965 (aged 52)Family: Sally Metcalfe (ex-wife); Rosie Webster (daughter); Sophie Webster (daughter); Jack Webster (son)
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Jerkass: To some since the affair, to others he's simply Strangled by the Red String.
- Miles Gloriosus: Considering that he only ever starts fights with harmless characters.
- Mr Fix It: He's a car mechanic, with Tyrone and Tommy.
- Papa Wolf: Mostly towards Rosie (even though the things he defended her from were usually her fault!)
- Put on a Bus: Due to Michael Le Vell's sexual offence allegations. He is said to be in Germany visiting his sick father Bill.
- The Bus Came Back: Le Vell has been found not guilty on all counts, and apparently in talks to return to the show with a "major storyline".
- Took Alevel In Jerkass: During his affair with his Tyrone's wife Molly which produced a son, Jack. Most considered the plot rushed and out of character and a textbook case of Romantic Plot Tumor.
- Duration: 2010 —Birthday: 6 September 2010 (aged 7)Family: Kevin Webster (father); Molly Dobbs (mother); Rosie Webster (half sister); Sophie Webster (half sister)
- Duration: 1994 —Birthday: 4 November 1994 (aged 23)Family: Sally Metcalfe (mother); Kevin Webster (father); Rosie Webster (sister); Jack Webster (half brother)
- Attention Whore: As a result of the attention her sister got over her.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Has imitated Dev's accent occasionally.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Sulked every time her former girlfriend Sian so much as talked to anyone else.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Only Sane Man
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Nietzsche Wannabe
- Spoiled Brat: Unlike Rosie, she never gets away with it.
- The Unfavorite
- Token Good Teammate: Of the Webster family. She's definitely the nicest and most stable.
- Duration: 2008 —Birthday: 1967 (aged 49/50)Family: Gary Windass (son); Faye Windass (adoptive daughter); Jake Windass (grandson); Miley Windass (adoptive granddaughter)
- Apron Matron: To Gary and Faye.
- Jerkass: Has devolved over time from nice down-to-earth woman to angry fishwife.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: After Gary got thrown out of the Army.
- Ms. Fanservice: Like Eva Price, sometimes wears revealing dresses that show off cleavage.
- Duration: 2011 —Birthday: 13 March 2002 (aged 15)Family: Anna Windass (adoptive mother); Tim Metcalfe (father); Miley Windass (daughter); Gary Windass (adoptive brother); Jake Windass (adoptive nephew)
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Although not a teenager yet, definitely qualifies as one.
- Evil Orphan
- Jerkass: To her mother, Anna Windass — she even claims that Anna has hit her in order to get to live with her father.
- Parental Neglect: When she came to live with her father, he left her on her own, let her go hungry and didn't pay for her to go on school trips. Anna hoped these factors would make Faye come back — she did, eventually.
- Duration: 1995 — 1997, 2007, 2016 —'Birthday: 4 January 1995 (aged 22)Family: Sinead Tinker (partner), Ken Barlow (father); Peter Barlow (half brother)
- Ambiguous Disorder: When Sinead breaks up with him for the first time, he hears voices in his head and throws up. He then starts having a breakdown when it's soon revealed he was the one who pushed Ken down the stairs.
- Cartwright Curse: Daniel's mum left him at fifteen for unspecified reasons, he was going to be a father but Ken convinced Sinead to abort the baby. When Sinead is pregnant a second time, she develops cervical cancer and has to choose between her life and the baby.
- Momma's Boy: Despite the fact that she left him at fifteen to live on his own.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother Denise left him to live on his own in their former flat when he was fifteen.
- Prone to Tears: He is easily upset, especially if one says cruel about his mother.
- Duration: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 — 2007Birthday: 3 May 1988 (aged 29)Family: Mike Baldwin (father); Ken Barlow (grandfather); Peter Barlow (half brother)
- Duration: 2013 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Daniel Osbourne (partner); Beth Sutherland (aunt); Craig Tinker (first cousin)
- Duration: 1989 —Birthday: 26 June 1974 (aged 43)Family: Liz McDonald (mother); Amy Barlow (daughter)
- Butt-Monkey: Nothing ever seems to go right for him.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Extreme Doormat / Henpecked Husband: With every women he dates or is married to.
- Sad Clown: Steve showed signs of depression a few years ago but played it off with his usual humour.
- Duration: 1989 — 1998, 2000 — 2001, 2003 — 2011, 2013 —Birthday: 3 November 1957 (aged 60)Family: Steve McDonald (son); Amy Barlow (granddaughter); Jim McDonald (ex husband)
- Apron Matron
- Mama Bear: She is the most motherly towards Amy and becomes the aggressive when she is in danger. This was shown when Carla's apartment was on fire and Liz shoved Tracey away so that Liz can convince Amy to climb down the ladder.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: She has never really liked any of her son Steve's wives, clashing particularly with Karen and Becky.
- Averted with Michelle, who she gets along well with.
- Duration: 1977 — 1983, 1985 — 1997, 1999, 2002 — 2007, 2010 —Birthday: 24 January 1977 (aged 40)Family: Ken Barlow (adoptive father); Ray Langton (biological father); Amy Barlow (daughter); Blanche Hunt (grandmother); Peter Barlow (stepbrother); Deirdre Barlow (mother)
- Consummate Liar: Although not so much any more, since everybody knows what she's like.
- Easily Forgiven: Apart from the odd moments of people giving her the cold shoulder or being disowned by Ken, she is easily forgiven for all the horrible acts she has committed (and never learns from them) and seems to get on with life as normal. Even some characters seem to act like she is not a bad person overall, despite all she has done.
- Faux Affably Evil: Since her return, she has almost never done anything nice for anyone if she wasn't planning to get something out of it or screw them over in the end.
- Flanderization: Upon her return in 2002, she was more of a simple Jerkass with moments of sympathy, but for a time after her return in 2010, she had degraded into almost a cartoonish Card-Carrying Villain. She's returned to simple Jerkass behaviour currently, with moments of actually being likeable.
- The Ghost / The Unseen: After becoming a teenager, she spent several years living in her room, before she finally reappeared.
- Jerkass: One of, if not, the biggest one currently on the show.
- Little Brother Is Watching: An inversion, since it's her older stepbrother Peter whose opinion matters far more her to than almost anyone else. Her mother can tell her to leave Steve alone daily for weeks on end but it's not until Peter tells her to give it up that she actually relents.
- Manipulative Bitch: Made her own mother lie under oath about her murder of Charlie Stubbs.
- Morality Pet: A bit of an odd example with her older stepbrother Peter, who is far from helpless and actually something of an Anti-Hero himself. Since her return, he is literally the only person she is ever truly nice or kind to (even with her daughter Amy it's usually all about Tracy), most noticeably after she found out his then-wife Leanne had cheated on him.
- Never My Fault: She never accepts any responsibility for her actions.After she tricked Roy into thinking he had bed her her parents grew tire of this attitude and threw her out, though they allowed her back eventually.
- Off on a Technicality: She did serve three years in prison for the murder of Charlie Stubbs. She was released on Christmas Eve 2010 because the expert who handled her forensic evidence was found to be corrupt and his evidence was null and void.
- Pet the Dog:
- In a surprising display of selflessness, she endangers herself to save the life of her Arch-Enemy Carla Connor.
- When Underworld's temporarily closed, and Beth finds herself out of a job, Tracy hires her to help her with the financial situation.
- She comforts Abi after she's rejected by Seb on his 18th birthday.
- Ungrateful Bastard: No matter how many times her parents give her another chance or try to help her, Tracy continues to let them down and use them as pawns in her schemes.
- Duration: 2004 —Birthday: 9 February 2004 (aged 13)Family: Tracy Barlow (mother); Steve McDonald (father); Deirdre Barlow (grandmother); Liz McDonald (grandmother); Blanche Hunt (great-grandmother); Deirdre Barlow (grandmother)
- Embarrassing First Name: It was changed pretty soon, but her name when she was under Roy and Hayley's custody was Patience Cropper.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Until she reached the age of about 10, Amy was a sweet, quiet, young girl, but overnight seemed to turn into a future Tracy. However...
- Took a Level in Kindness: In 2019, she was an extremely dedicated friend to Asha, making sure her family know about her troubles.
- The Voiceless: Before she was recast with her current actress in 2010, she rarely, if ever, spoke on-screen.
- Who's Your Daddy?: Initially thought to be the daughter of Roy Cropper. Tracy kept the true paternity to herself until she felt it was appropriate — the middle of Steve McDonald's wedding to Karen.
- Duration: 1995 —Birthday: 21 September 1954 (aged 62)Family: Hayley Cropper (widowed wife); Sylvia Goodwin (mother)
- Ambiguous Disorder: Roy has a lot of quirks and can be just downright odd at times.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He might be a bit odd but he makes a bloody good full English breakfast.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Regarded as one in-universe, though he doesn't fully deserve the reputation.
- Comforting the Widow: Cathy to him and him to Cathy. They both lost their spouses.
- Disappeared Dad: His father, St John Cropper, left him when he was very young and didn't try to contact him again until 2011. Unfortunately, the letter arrived too late (in 2013), and St John had died three months before.
- Friend to All Living Things: He was the first see the friendly neighbourhood Serial Killer for what he was, when said serial killer destroyed a nest of bats.
- Duration: 2015 —Birthday: Unknown.Family: Roy Cropper (fiancé); Alex Warner (nephew)
- Comforting the Widow: Roy to her and her to Roy. They both lost their spouses.
- Duration: 2015 —Birthday: c 1987 (aged about 29)Family: Nessa Warner (mother); Cathy Matthews (aunt)
- Disabled Character, Disabled Actor: He has Down Syndrome.
- Duration: 2015 —Birthday: 16 November 1989 (aged 27)Family: Johnny Connor (father), Aidan Connor (brother); Carla Connor (sister); Michelle Connor (third cousin), Liam Connor (third cousin once removed)
Sarah Louise Platt
- Duration: 1987 — 2007, 2015 —Birthday: 2 February 1987 (aged 30)Family: Gail Rodwell (mother); Bethany Platt (daughter); Harry Platt (son); Nick Tilsley (brother); David Platt (half brother); Audrey Roberts (grandmother); Lily Platt (niece); Jason Grimshaw (ex-husband)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her relationship with Aiden Critchley.
- Her interest in Callum Logan.
- Mama Bear: For Bethany and Harry.
- Misplaced Retribution: Her attack on Ryan Connor.
- Sanity Slippage: She had a guilt-induced mental breakdown after the murder of Callum Logan. She started to believe that he was still alive and out for revenge. She eventually got better after being committed to a psychiatric hospital.
- Sibling Rivalry: With her brother, David.
- Revenge Against Men: She's very protective of Bethany and was increasingly aggressive towards men since didn't trust their interest in Bethany. She eventually calmed down.
- Teen Pregnancy: She became pregnant and gave birth to her daughter, Bethany, aged just thirteen.
- She became pregnant for a second time at seventeen by Todd Grimshaw. The stress of her finding out Todd had been having an affair with a male nurse was too great and she gave birth prematurely. The baby boy (Billy) didn't survive beyond a day old.
- Duration: 2008 —Birthday: 1986 (aged 30/31)Family: Jake Windass (son); Anna Windass (mother); Faye Windass (adoptive sister); Miley Windass (adoptive niece)
- On and off with David Platt
- Pat Phelan after Phelan coerced Anna into sleeping with him and financially ruined Gary's family.
- Adam Barlow and He share mutual hatred and Adam is determined to expose Gary for his crimes.
- Anti-Hero: Even at his most moral he isn't above Breaking the law or using unsavory methods to get what he wants.
- Bullying a Dragon: Repeatedly provoked David,a decision that led to him having to serve two months in prison.
- Chronic Villainy: Has resolved to change only to fall back into his old ways many times.
- Delinquents: In his early appearances.
- Domestic Abuse. Grabbed Sarah and gave her bruises after she rejected him for Adam.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He tends to go through the HeelFace Revolving Door alot but is consistently shown to care for his family,particualry his mother Anna and adopted Sister Faye.
- He is also a genuinely loving boyfriend to Maria.
- Fiery Redhead
- Jerkass- How many times has he been cruel to Seb, David and others? Too many times.
- Your Cheating Heart: He cheated on Izzy with Alya and on Sarah with Nicola.
- Slowly Slipping Into Evil: Originally he was coerced by Rick into working as a loan shark and went out of his way to protect others from Rick.This led to him killing Rick out of a desire to protect Sarah.He took on Rick's positon and became just as much of a bullying thug as him.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Though only away for a few months, he came back considerably disturbed after an enemy attack left a friend of his dead.
- Duration: 2000 — 2007, 2015 —Birthday: 4 June 2000 (aged 17)Family: Sarah-Louise Platt (mother); Gail Rodwell (grandmother); Nick Tilsley (uncle); David Platt (uncle); Audrey Roberts (great-grandmother); Lily Platt (first cousin)
- All Love Is Unrequited: Bethany is always worse off whenever she develops feelings for someone. She had a crush on Callum, who manipulated her feelings for him and turned her into a pawn. She had a crush on Gary Windass who was only wanted to help her and became her mother's boyfriend. Nathan turned her into a sex slave for ephebophiles which left her with severe PTSD.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Since her return, often refusing to go to school, drinking alcohol and generally being a nuisance.
- Dawson Casting: Fourteen-year-old Bethany is portrayed by nineteen-year-old Lucy Fallon.
- The original actress chosen to play current Bethany was 25 and was fired from the role for lying about her age to the producers (before her scenes got shot, thankfully).
- Disappeared Dad: Her father, Neil Fearns, never got to know his daughter and didn't have a relationship with her before he died in 2003.
- Fille Fatale: Nathan Curtis attempted to turn her into this as part of her child grooming storyline.
- Freudian Excuse: Invoked by Sarah and subsequently defied. After Bethany is arrested for assaulting a man at the strip club. Sarah immediately assumes that Bethany is the victim and when Bethany tearfully says that he reminded her of Nathan. Sarah aggressively mentions the history between Bethany and Nathan. The police officer explains that while she has his sympathies, it doesn't justify or excuse her actions.
- Hates Being Touched: Her ordeal with Nathan left her with severe PTSD and she repulses at human contact. She recoiled when Craig kissed her, had a panic attack while getting intimate with Ryan Connor and attacked someone when she was working at a strip club.
- Motivational Kiss: She gives one to Craig after he feels guilty for becoming too emotional at her trial when defending her.
- Oblivious to Love: She didn't recognise Craig Tinker's obvious crush on her but she eventually recognised them and reciprocated them.
- Older Than They Look: When she was 14 she was able to convince Michele, Andy, Steph and Michael that she was 18. They only discovered her actual age after Gail found her in the pub. Invoked as her actress was actually in her late teens when she started playing her.
- Promiscuity After Rape: Downplayed, she secretly became a part-time lap dancer to regain her sexual freedom but it backfired since she did not seek treatment for PTSD, causing a violent panic attack.
- She Is All Grown Up: Not having been seen in eight years, her reappearance in 2015 was quite a staggering contrast to the little girl that had left the show before.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She's very attractive but it wasn't played to appease the audience. She's been bullied mercilessly by Lauren and her pack of mates for presumably being prettier than her. Even worse, Bethany was unknowingly indoctrinated into an ephebophile sex ring where she was systematically raped by older men. She also became a part-time lap-dancer in an attempt to regain her sexual freedom but she ended up having a PTSD attack after some men on a stag night started getting frisky with her and pressuring her into giving the uncomfortable groom a lapdance.
- Trauma Button: Bethany was traumatised after her ordeal with Nathan. When Craig confessed his feelings for her Bethany immediately panicked and thought Craig only acted on lust when he was supporting her. She's confirmed to have developed Aphenphosmphobia which is a fear of intimacy which causes her to have panic attacks when she's intimate with someone or when being pressured into being intimate with someone, as shown with the stag partiers when they forced her to dance with the groom-to-be. On another note, she recoiled when she was kissed by Craig.
- Duration: 2006 —Birthday: 21 April 1976 (aged 41)Family: Steve McDonald (husband), Ryan Connor (adoptive son — her real biological son hasn't been seen in years), Carla Connor (sister-in-law and third cousin); Liam Connor, Jr (nephew)
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Hated Steve's female classmate Andrea with a passion and gets very angry even if she merely appears in the Rovers to say hello.
- Jerkass: Her aforementioned irrational behaviour to Andrea.
- Her constant nagging, moaning, shouting and arm-crossing at Steve.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Ever since finding out about Steve's depression, she treated him much better than she used to.
- Duration: 1965 — 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1986, 2000 — 2003, 2007, 2008 — 2014, 2015, 2016 —Birthday: 5 April 1965 (aged 51)Family: Simon Barlow (son); Ken Barlow (father)
- The Alcoholic: Noteworthy on a show where most consume twice the British average amounts for alcohol and practically live in the pub. Peter is the only actual dry drunk, though by some measures most of the cast qualify as functional alcoholics.
- Arch-Enemy: Rob Donovan, his sister Tracy's former fiancé, and Nick Tilsley for a good stretch of time which peaked when he threw one of Sally's lawn gnomes at Nick's head.
- I Am Not My Father: Comparisons to dad Ken are something of a Berserk Button for him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Tracy, his "baby" sister.
- Children Raise You
- Kavorka Man: Downplayed. He's not tall or massively handsome conventionally but his easy-going charm is undeniable.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He was always a good person deep down who never usually meant to hurt anybody, he just had poor impulse control.
- Jerkass Has a Point: After Deirdes funeral he made a long reason why you suck speech to Tracey and ending it by saying that he hopes that Amy realises how horrible Tracey had been to others and that she would leave Tracey out of disgust. Peter is one of the few people that Tracey would listen to in terms of advice. Later in the series Amy does leave Tracey to live with Steve and Michelle once she realises that Tracey had been a horrible mother by being self centred and hateful of others.
- Miscarriage of Justice: He was tried, found guilty of and imprisoned for murdering Tina McIntyre. He was only released once the real killer, Rob Donovan, was caught. He was also a chief suspect in Toyah Battersby's 2001 rape though averted as he was proven innocent.
- Never My Fault: Sometimes when he's been caught in a bad situation, and often with a Freudian Excuse.
- Parental Abandonment: The main reason his relationship is strained is because his father shipped him and his twin sister of to their Scottish grandparents at the age of six following the death of their mother. To be fair though it was how it was done in those days.
- Took a Level in Kindness: As of 2020 he had reunited with Carla and seemed to have put his womanizing and occasionally crooked tendencies behind him. He also had a genuine concern for Yasmeen's (nonexistent) drinking problem even though they have almost no affiliation.
- Your Cheating Heart: In one of his most famous storylines Peter was married to two women at once. He's been married five times in total, with infidelity on his part (with bigamy law helping in one case) ending four of them.
- Duration: 1979 — 1982, 1984, 1985 —Birthday: 23 July 1940 (aged 76)Family: Gail Rodwell (daughter); Nick Tilsley (grandson); David Platt (grandson); Sarah Platt (granddaughter); Bethany Platt (great-granddaughter); Lily Platt (great-granddaughter)
- Cool Old Lady
- Rags to Riches
- Settled for Gay: Her former partner, Gail's father, Ted Page, is gay.
- Verbal Tic: Has a tendency to say "Hmm, hmm!?" when angry with someone.
- You Have to Believe Me!: Audrey was the first to realise Richard Hillman was a murderer, but pretty much everyone thought she was just losing her marbles.
- Duration: 2010 —Birthday: 24 January 1986 (aged 31)Family: Jake Windass (son); Owen Armstrong (father); Katy Armstrong (sister); Joseph Brown (nephew)
- Disabled Snarker
- Overprotective Dad: Her father Owen moved onto the street to stalk/watch over her.
- Ill Girl: As a child, and the reason her father is so overprotective.
- Duration: 2013 —Birthday: 27 May 2013 (aged 3)Family: Gary Windass (father); Izzy Armstrong (mother); Owen Armstrong (grandfather); Anna Windass (grandmother); Katy Armstrong (aunt); Faye Windass (adoptive aunt); Joseph Brown (first cousin)
- Dead Guy Junior: Tina was going to change his name to Joe, in honour of her deceased father before she gave him back to Gary and Izzy.
This is for characters who have been in the show before, left and are returning; or new characters announced.
This is for characters who have either died or have left the street by moving elsewhere.
- Duration: 2001 — 2006, 2009 — 2013Born/Died: 1978 — 3 April 2013 (aged 34/35)Family: Dev Alahan (former husband); Aasha Alahan (daughter); Aadi Alahan (son)
- Naïve Everygirl
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Gulati ended up leaving The Street in response to the loads of hatemail and racism she received from fans for her character's affair with Karl Munro.
- Took a Level in Jerkass
- Duration: 2010 — 2015Birthday: 10 September 1994 (aged 22)Family: Owen Armstrong (father); Joseph Brown (son); Izzy Armstrong (sister)Where currently: Faro, Portugal
- Duration: 2010 — 2015Birthday: 20 September 1958 (aged 58)Family: Izzy Armstrong (daughter); Katy Armstrong (daughter); Jake Windass (grandson); Chesney Brown (grandson)Where currently: Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Flies into a rage at the slightest provocation, whether it's at Tim or Karl or Stella.
- Jerkass: For him, violence seems to be the only answer.
- He physically threatened Eileen when she stole some money off him.
- He physically threatened Faye's real dad and tried to warn him off.
- He started destroying what he had already built in the Rovers when Stella couldn't pay.
- He threw Tina out of his flat when she refused to give his daughter her son; arguably justified but still it meant making his grandson homeless and having to live with Rita.
- He threatened Craig when he thought that Craig was the father of Faye's baby and ended up punching Kirk by accident.
- Not So Stoic: When his grandson Jake was in an incubator, he was seen crying for the first time.
- When he broke up with Anna.
- Overprotective Dad: He moved onto the street simply to stalk/watch over his daughter, Izzy.
- Papa Wolf: To both his daughters and to Faye Windass.
- Duration: 1976 — 2006Born/Died: 16 February 1942 — 7 April 2006 (aged 64)Family: Adam Barlow (son); Danny Baldwin (son); Warren Baldwin (grandson); Jamie Baldwin (grandson)
- Age-Gap Romance: His last wife, Linda, was 33 years his junior. He eventually realised she was a Gold Digger.
- Arch-Enemy: To Ken Barlow. Their feud lasted decades.
- The Casanova: Four marriages and countless girlfriends.
- Manipulative Bastard: He was incredibly manipulative when he wanted to be, and he was usually successful.
- Self-Made Man: He started out working out of his attic and built up his business to a successful textile factory, allowing him to live quite a bit better than most of the street's inhabitants.
- Smug Smiler: Mike had the greatest shit-eating grin.
- Duration: 1972, 1973 — 2014Born: 8 July 1955Died: 8 July 2015 (aged 60)Family: Ken Barlow (husband); Tracy Barlow (daughter); Amy Barlow (granddaughter)
- Bus Crash: Anne Kirkbride sadly passed away in January 2015, aged only sixty. As with her onscreen mother, Blanche, Deirdre also died.
- Catch Phrase: "Oh, Tracy". (whenever Tracy did something bad — which was frequently)
- Extreme Doormat: For Tracy.
- Miscarriage of Justice: Once masterfully framed for credit card fraud. This led to a 'Free the Weatherfield One' campaign for a time.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Always put Tracy on a pedestal, not matter how horrible her crimes.
- No Sympathy: Unless your name happened to be Tracy Barlow.
- Really Gets Around: Ken Barlow, Mike Baldwin, Dev Alahan, Samir Rashid, Billy Walker, Jon Lyndsay, Phil Jennings...
- The Character Died With Her: Following Anne Kirkbride's death, Deirdre also passed away and got an on-screen funeral.
- Your Cheating Heart: A few times, but most notoriously when she cheated on Ken with Mike Baldwin.
- Duration: 1965 — 1971, 1973, 1979 — 1980, 1981, 1985 — 1987, 2001Born/Died: 5 April 1965 — 11 February 2001 (aged 35)Family: Ken Barlow (father); Peter Barlow (brother); Simon Barlow (nephew)
- Duration: 1961, 1962 — 1971Born/Died: 26 November 1942 — 27 January 1971 (aged 28)Family: Ken Barlow (former wife); Peter Barlow (son); Susan Barlow (daughter); Simon Barlow (grandson); Adam Barlow (grandson)
- Duration: 2003 — 2007, 2014Birthday: 17 December 1965 (aged 51)Family: Fiz Stape (daughter); Chesney Brown (son); Hope Stape (granddaughter); Joseph Brown (grandson); Leanne Tilsley (stepdaughter)Where currently: Wolverhampton, England.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Her middle names are Petunia Aurelia.
- Expy: Beth seems to be an expy of her.
- Put on a Bus: She left the show for Las Vegas in 2007.
- The Bus Came Back: She returned briefly to the street in fc 2014.
- Duration: 1997 — 2007Birthday: 28 August 1955Family: Janice Battersby (ex-wife); Cilla Battersby-Brown (wife); Leanne Tilsley (daughter);Toyah Battersby (stepdaughter) Chesney Brown (stepson)Where currently: Unknown
- Driven to Suicide: Les tried to gas himself in his car after Janice left him for Dennis, but he survived.
- Guys Are Slobs: A textbook example.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He once headbutted Curly Watts during an argument.
- Jerkass: He was particularly unpleasant to Hayley Cropper and relished telling newcomers to Weatherfield that Hayley was a "bloke".
- Lazy Bum: He rarely had a job.
- Pet the Dog: He protected Des Barnes when he was attacked by Richie Fitzgerald.
- Put on a Bus: Les disappeared abruptly and was said to be a roadie for a ZZ Top tribute band.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: As noted above, Les was written out after Bruce Jones was sacked from the show.
- This Is My Chair: Had a beloved (and filthy) armchair. Toyah entered it into a local art competition and it won first prize.
- Duration: 2013 — 2015Birthday: UnknownWhere currently: Jersey.Family: Neil Beckett (husband); Lloyd Mullaney (partner)
- The Lad-ette: Which is why she gets on so well with Steve and Lloyd — and why Michelle was so worried about/jealous of her.
- Your Cheating Heart: She cheats on her husband with Lloyd. Although Lloyd himself has no idea at all she is already married.
- Duration: 2014Birthday: UnknownFamily: Andrea Beckett (wife)Where currently: Philippines.
- Cuckold: Because of Andrea's infidelity with Lloyd.
- Duration: 1961, 1962 — 1966, 1967 —Birthday: 18 October 1929 (aged 87)Where currently: Peru.
- Crisis of Faith: Had one when her husband Ernest was shot dead during a robbery in 1978. And again in 2006 when Ernest's killer came and tried to make amends.
- Granny Classic: Acts as this to most of the street despite never having had children herself.
- Long Runner: Her time on the show spanned 55 years and over 3000 episodes.
- Duration: 2014 —Birthday: UnknownFamily: Steph Britton (sister)
- Mr Fix It: He is a car mechanic like Tyrone and Kevin.
- Duration: 2013 — 2017Birthday: 22 February 1995 (aged 22)Family: Luke Britton (brother)
- Duration: 2011 —Birthday: 24 December 2011 (aged 5)Family: Katy Armstrong (mother); Chesney Brown (father); Fiz Stape (aunt)Where currently: Faro, Portugal.
Portrayed by an uncredited actor. Went to Portugal with his mother.
- Away in a Manger: He was born on Christmas Eve 2011, during a Nativity play.
- Duration: 2008 — 2015Birthday: 1977 (aged 37/38)Family: Eileen Grimshaw (half sister)Where currently: Round the world cruise ship.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At times.
- Genki Girl: She's cheery almost to a fault.
- Notable exception was at Kirk and Beth's reception, when Beth's sister (and Sinéad's mother) Arlene tried to flirt with Dev, resulting in Julie tearing into Arlene quite loudly and publicly.
- Odd Friendship: With her serious cynical older sister Eileen.
Andrew "Andy" Carver
- Duration: 2014 — 2017Birthday: 8 June 1985
- Impersonation Gambit: Andy pretended to be Gavin Rodwell to Michael and the Platts. Initially done as a prank to Gavin, whom he was angry at for stealing Andy's girlfriend.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Not Quite Dead: was presumably killed at the beginning of 2017 by Pat Phelan, only to reappear on screen a few months later where it was revealed Phelan was keeping him chained up in a basement somewhere. not that this lasts long.
- Killed Offfor Real: just two months after being revealed as alive, he is permanently killed off after being shot dead by Pat Phelan.
- Duration March 2017 — July 2018Portrayed by Ben Cartwright, Neil Clifton was a police officer and a member of Nathan Curtis' sex abuse ring. He was his right-hand man and personal connection within the police force. He raped Bethany Platt and sentenced to prison alongside the other members of the sex ring.
- The Bad Guys Are Cops: Neil was a police officer and serial rapist on Nathan's payroll.
- Beard of Evil: Neil has a greasy looking beard and is a sex offender.
- The Dragon: Neil was Nathan's right-hand man in the ring. He would inform him of police activities and relay his messages to any girls in the sex ring. In return for his services, Neil would send him a girl of his choosing to sleep with.
- The Dreaded: Neil was feared by Bethany and the other girls.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He's genuinely heartbroken when his daughter disowned him for lying to her about his crimes.
- Evil Mentor: He was Craig's original mentor within the police force.
- Hate Sink: Neil's one of the darkest, most irredeemable and most hated villains in Coronation Street.
- Knight of Cerebus: Like Nathan, his actions are deplorable and are far from sugar-coated.
- Pariah Prisoner: He's been assaulted several times while in jail and was even hospitalised.
- Post-Rape Taunt: He gloated to Craig about how Bethany enjoyed every moment of their night.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He raped Bethany Platt and several other women.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: He rapes underage teens and is an informant on Nathan's behalf.
- Serial Rapist: Nathan has been repaying Neil by letting him choose women to sleep with.
- Villain Ball: While on trial, the best idea that comes to his mind is to try to shame the court by saying his risks his life for the ungrateful public. Stating that they owe him for ruining his life. Despite the amount of evidence against him.
- Would Hit a Girl: He threatened to hurt Bethany's mum and Craig's family if either Bethany or Craig ever spoke about his activities.
- Would Hurt a Child: He threatened to harm Bethany's brother if she spoke about his activities.
- Duration: 2015 — 2018Birthday: Unknown.Family: Johnny Connor (father), Aidan Connor (brother); Carla Connor (sister); Michelle Connor (third cousin), Liam Connor (third cousin once removed); Eva Price (partner)
- Duration: 2006 — 2016Birthday: 3 January 1975 (aged 42)Family: Rob Donovan (brother), Johnny Connor (father), Aidan Connor (half brother), Kate Connor (half sister), Michelle Connor (third cousin)Where currently: Devon, England.
- Benevolent Boss: One of her best qualities. She let Sally have as much time of as she needed when she had cancer and was notably one of the few people to stand by Fiz during her and Tyrone's conflict with Kirsty. For these reasons she is pretty much beloved by her staff.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Has gone through various levels of frostiness over the past few years.
- Expy: Well, technically, she's not an expy, but Bree from Desperate Housewives is an expy of Carla!
- Karma Houdini: In 2007, Carla was indirectly responsible for the death of Polish factory worker Kasia Barowicz. Carla had illegally allowed Kasia to work through the night and Kasia ended up slipping and falling to her death in the factory. Carla had Wiki, the other Polish worker present, pretend that the accident had happened after 8 am, their clocking-in time. To date, no one has ever found out the truth and Wiki herself returned to Poland in 2009.
- Kissing Cousins: As she finds out in 2015, Johnny Connor is her biological father. This means that her first husband was her third cousin, as was her romantic interest (and Paul's brother) Liam Connor.
- Rich Bitch: Particularly in her initial appearances but thankfully she had hidden depths.
- Self Made Woman: Originally grew up on a Council Estate.
- Second Love: To Peter Barlow.
- Spiritual Successor: As a ruthless, charming businesswoman who came from nothing Carla bears a certain resemblance to Mike Baldwin, the factory's previous owner.
- Duration: 2006 — 2010, 2012 — 2013Birthday: 14 January 1992 (aged 25)Family: Michelle Connor (adoptive mother); Liam Connor, Jr (first cousin)Where currently: Ibiza, Spain.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Got thrown out of college and came back to the street as a drug addict willing to rob his own mother's factory just to get a hit. Thankfully, he got better.
- Duration: 1998 — 2014Born/Died: 7 May 1966 — 20 January 2014 (aged 47)Family: Roy Cropper (husband); Christian Gatley (son); Maisie and Sam Gatley (grandchildren)
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She dies with Roy by her side on their bed. Anna and Carla come in to discover her in Roy's arms.
- Mercy Kill: Hayley gives herself a lethal dose of medication in order to end her suffering from the final stages of cancer. She insists that Roy not help her or touch the glass she is drinking or her medicine in case anyone thinks he helped her.
- Only Sane Employee: Her title of supervisor at the factory often amounts to this managing the Greek Chorus of Deadpan Snarker's and Cloud Cuckoo Lander's is quite a challenge.
- Only Sane Woman: Frequently, when husband Roy gets carried away with his eccentricities, or at Underworld where she is the supervisor.
- Plucky Girl: In a street full of them Hayley is a stand-out although still a bit too practical to be a Pollyanna.
- The Topic of Cancer: Hayley discovers that she has stage two pancreatic cancer in July 2013, and that she only has a 20% chance of living longer than five years.
- She would have succumbed to this illness in a matter of weeks had she not taken control of it and ended her life the way she wanted to.
- Transgender: A male-to-female transsexual, she was born a man named Harold. She underwent sexual reassignment surgery in Amsterdam soon after meeting Roy.
- Younger Than They Look: It was unclear how old Hayley was meant to be on-screen, but the real life actress is only 43 years old — while her character probably looked closer to 50, due to her clothes and her hairstyle.
- She was born in 1966, making her 47 or 48 when she died.
- Duration December 2016 — October 2017
- The Cameo: He momentarily appeared as a flashback for Bethany before she frantically assaulted a customer who looked like him.
- The Dreaded: One of the girls in his sex ring chose to commit suicide rather than face him in court.
- Hate Sink: Nathan's one of the darkest, most irredeemable and most hated villains in Coronation Street.
- Knight of Cerebus: He is regarded as one of the darkest villains of Coronation Street.
- Manipulative Bastard: He convinced Bethany to abandon her friends and family.
- Mind Rape: He made Bethany believe that they were in a genuine relationship and nearly sent her to another country but she broke free from the illusion and reported him after going to a nearby family.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He used Bethany as a sex slave and forced her to have sex with older men for money.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: One of the members of his ring is a police officer who sent messages on his behalf and intimidated any potential threats.
- Smug Snake: He is arrogant about his work. He also managed to rile Gary into punching him.
- The Syndicate: He's in charge of the ephebophile sex ring and has connections to Belgium.
- Would Hit a Girl: He burned Bethany's arm with a cigarette because she attacked another girl. He also sent thugs to attack Shona.
- Duration: 2007 — 2008, 2011 — 2014Birthday: 1977 (aged 37/38)Where currently: London, England.
- But Not Too Gay: His relationship with Sean Tully.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Type 1; Always considering himself to be gay, Maria is the only woman he has ever been attracted to.
- Straight Gay: Certainly in contrast to his former boyfriend, Sean.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Before he got together with Maria.
- Duration: 2013 — 2014, 2015Birthday: UnknownFamily: Carla Connor (sister)Where currently: Prison.
- Arch-Enemy: Peter Barlow, his (half) sister Tracy's boyfriend and his brother-in-law.
- Jerkass: Of the highest order. Him and Tracy were a match made in hell. He takes this to a whole new level when he brutally murders Tina.
- Duration: 1979, 1981, 1982 — 2010Born/Died: 7 November 1936 — 7 November 2010 (aged 74)Family: Vera Duckworth (wife); Terry Duckworth (son); Tommy Duckworth (grandson)
- Friend to All Living Things: Particularly to pigeons, which he kept out in his back yard.
- Henpecked Husband: Vera was always giving out to him over minor things (such as his pigeons). She even did this after she died (in the scene where she came to accompany Jack when he died):Vera: Look at the state of that collar! Is it too much effort to go and look in the mirror?
- I Have No Son!: Jack virtually disowned their despicable son Terry, only tolerating him for Vera's sake.
- Duration: 1992 — 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2011 — 2013Birthday: 9 September 1992 (aged 24)Family: Jack Duckworth (grandfather); Vera Duckworth (grandmother); Terry Duckworth (father); Tina McIntyre (former partner)Where currently: Canary Islands, Spain.
- The Charmer
- Ladykiller in Love
- Nice Character, Mean Actor
- Put on a Bus: Chris Fountain has been fired from the show, following the revelation that he had posted videos of himself rapping explicit and offensive lyrics under disguise as 'The Phantom' on YouTube.
- He finally left off-screen in October 2013, for the completely ridiculous and obviously little-thought-about reason mentioned above.
Veronica 'Vera' Duckworth
- Duration: 1974, 1976 — 2008, 2010Born/Died: 3 September 1937 — 18 January 2008 (aged 70)Family: Jack Duckworth (husband); Terry Duckworth (son); Tommy Duckworth (grandson)
- Apron Matron
- The House of Windsor: She believed herself to be a 2nd cousin once removed of Queen Elizabeth II, from an illegitimate child of King Edward VII — it is unknown whether or not this was true or just a tale.
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Averted; when she appeared in 2010, she was wearing different clothes from when she died two years previously.
- Tearjerker: Her death, and particularly Jack's reaction to it.
- Duration: 1994-2010Born/Died: 27 October 1938 — 9 October 2006 (aged 67)Family: Ashley Peacock (son)
- Cartwright Curse: He was perennially unlucky in love.
- I Am Your Father: Revealed to his nephew Ashley that he was really his father.
- Verbal Tic: He often repeated himself, I say he often repeated himself.
- Duration: 2011 — 2013Birthday: circa 1935 (aged about 79/80)Family: Roy Cropper (son)Where currently: Tenerife, Spain.
- Apron Matron: Was tough and no-nonsense to everyone, including the customers.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Jerk Ass With A Heart Of Gold
- Marijuana Is LSD: When she was taking the 'space cakes' (as Dennis Tanner called them) for her arthritis, she would remark about how pretty or shiny the suds were whilst doing the dishes.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: To everyone, including customers.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Roy remarks that he has never ever seen her cry.
- Trans Equals Gay: Her initial reaction on finding out that Hayley was transgender was to assume Roy was gay.
- Duration: 2006 — 2012Birthday: 1980 (aged 34/35)Family: Danny Stratton (partner); Kylie Platt (sister); Lily Platt (niece); Max Turner (nephew); David Platt (brother in law); Steve McDonald (ex-husband)Where currently: Barbados.
- Jerkass: When she first turned up, eventually became a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Lady Drunk
- Mama Bear: Though neither of the children she had with Steve were actually hers (Max being her sister's son, and Amy being Steve's daughter with Tracy Barlow).
- Ms. Fanservice: Particularly in her reaction to being angry at Steve, which was to dress in revealing clothing, then go out, get drunk and get attention from men at other bars.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Her general reaction to any sort of bad news was to get drunk and smash up whatever was nearest.
- Duration: 2010 — 2011Birthday: 17 January 1981 (aged 36)Family: Russ Gray (son); Chris Gray (ex-wife); Lloyd Mullaney (former partner)Where currently: Unknown.
- Domestic Abuse: From her ex-husband Chris.
- Single Mom Stripper: Initially, but then worked at Nick's Bistro.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Likes to think a lot of herself and her son Russ.
- Duration: 2000 — 2016Birthday: 27 June 1983 (aged 33)Family: Eileen Grimshaw (mother); Todd Grimshaw (brother)Where currently: Thailand.
- Ambiguously Brown: Until his father appeared onscreen in 2003.
- Brainless Beauty
- Dumb Muscle: Most of the time, although Jason often shows flashes of insight that suggest he's more lazy than truly unintelligent.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: When he hit Marcus for stealing his girlfriend Maria in the Rovers.
- Mr. Fanservice: Often seen shirtless or walking around in boxers.
- The Unfavorite: To his smarter, more sensitive brother Todd.
- Duration: 2013 — 2015Born: 3 February 1997Died: 1 June 2015 (aged 18)Family: Sophie Webster (partner)
- Big Sister Instinct: She was incredibly protective of her younger brother Ben and was very upset when she fout out his foster parents were planning to move to Devon.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She stole Sally Webster's handbag on Christmas Day 2013, even though Sophie was nice to her and tried to help her.
- She only did this out of desperation to help her mother.
- Lipstick Lesbian: As Sophie was shocked to discover.
- McLeaned: The actress left the show so Maddie died from injuries inflicted on the night of the fire.
- Satisfied Street Rat
- Street Urchin: Implied to have been one.
- Duration: 2001 — 2003Born/Died: 20 December 1951 — 14 March 2003 (aged 51)Family: Gail Rodwell (former wife)
- Affably Evil
- All for Nothing: Soon after killing Maxine he learned that he had just inherited some money after a client passed away, meaning there was no need to harm her or Emily.
- Berserk Button: His ex-wife.
- Beware the Nice Ones:
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: In spite of everything, he did seem to genuinely care about Gail and the kids.
- Frame-Up: He tried to frame Sarah's waster boyfriend Aidan for killing Maxine.
- Kick the Dog: Killing Maxine.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: He set fire to Audrey's house by leaving the gas on.
- Murder-Suicide: Attempted this when he drove his car into the canal with Gail, Sarah, David and Bethany all inside, but only he died.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "You should have stayed at the party, Maxine."
- What You Are in the Dark: During an argument at the old house they were renovating, Duggie accidentally fell through some weak banisters and was left badly injured. Richard went to call an ambulance, but instead decided to leave Duggie to die.
- Duration: 2015Where currently: Canada.Family: Josie Hodge (mother); Greig Hodge (father); Miley Windass (daughter)
- Duration: 2014 — 2017Birthday: 24 June 1965 (aged 51)Family: Dev Alahan (partner)
- Mrs. Robinson: Her relationship with Nick Tilsley, who is fifteen years younger.
- Duration: 1974 — 1978, 1981, 1996, 1997, 1998 — 2009Born/Died: 22 January 1936 — 3 May 2010 (aged 74)Family: Deirdre Barlow (daughter); Tracy Barlow (granddaughter); Amy Barlow (great-granddaughter)
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: She and daughter Deirdre shared a few of these moments.
- Brutal Honesty: Was famous for it; bordered on Jerkass at times though. For example, about Liz McDonald she said:
- Corporal Punishment: Blanche was a confirmed supporter. She was delighted when Ken whacked one of his obnoxious students.Blanche: I've always believed in the three Bs: belt, birch and borstal!
- Crapsack World: Her view of the world.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the highest order.
- Put on a Bus: What happened to her character between the death of the actress and the on-screen death. She was said to be living in Portugal with her friend May.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: To the extreme.
- Duration: 2012 — 2014Birthday: 24 April 1984 (aged 32)Family: Lloyd Mullaney (biological father); Mandy Kamara (mother)Where currently: Burnley, England.
- Lipstick Lesbian: There were no obvious indications that she was a lesbian before her storyline with Sophie.
- Duration: 2012 — 2013Birthday: UnknownFamily: Jenna Kamara (daughter); Lloyd Mullaney (former partner)Where currently: Wythenshawe, England.
- Duration: 2010, 2011 — 2013Birthday: 19 August (age unknown)Family: Eileen Grimshaw (former partner); Lesley Kershaw (former wife)Where currently: Unknown.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In the Tram Crash live episode, he was one of the firefighters trying to rescue Molly.
- Mistaken for Racist: By Lloyd Mullaney and Lloyd's daughter Jenna. A big argument ensued between him and Lloyd over it, and was one of the reasons he and Eileen eventually split up.
- Duration: 2016Birthday: Unknown
- Alpha Bitch: She's the leader of a gang of bullies who take pleasure in bullying Bethany as well as other unnamed students however they eventually betrayed her and caused her to be expelled.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: According the headmaster Bethany was regarded as a hero for getting Lauren expelled.
- Barbaric Bully: She bullies Bethany in every opportunity and it's implied by Lauren's mother that Bethany isn't the first or only victim. This is confirmed by the headmaster when he revealed that she bullied a lot of other students.
- The Dreaded: She was actually feared by a lot of students and her friends were unsettled by her. Eventually other students and Lauren's friends eventually reported her for her actions.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She was betrayed by her friends when Lauren was reported to the headmaster for her bullying. During the time of her suspension her friends joined the multiple students who reported her.
- Hate Sink: She's easily one of the most hated characters in 2016 due to her bullying Bethany and causing her to receive deep mental scars as a result.
- Like Father, Like Son: Her Mother stands by Lauren despite the evidence and like Lauren she insults the family as well as Bethany and Harry whenever Lauren is reported. Her father is worse than her as he threatens to get revenge on Bethany for getting his daughter expelled despite the overwhelming amount of evidence and he had assaulted David days later.
- Never My Fault: She still protests her innocence of bullying Bethany and manages to get both herself and Bethany suspended when she convinces her mother that Lauren had been bullied by Bethany.
- Speak Ill of the Dead: She insults Kylie which presses Davids Berserk Button.
- Teens Are Monsters
- Too Dumb to Live: She still bullies Bethany in front of the Platts but her stupidity is best shown when she trash talks Bethany in front of David who was cutting her hair and making it more than clear that he knows what Lauren's been doing to Bethany.
- Duration: 2014 — 2015Birthday: Unknown.Family: Max Turner (son)Died: 21 September 2015
- Evil Wears Black: Not exactly evil but he always appeared dressed in black clothes.
- Teeny Weenie: Gail rather humorously implied he had one in a rant against him in February 2015.
James 'Jim' McDonald
- Duration: 1989 — 2000, 2003 — 2005, 2007, 2009 — 2011, 2014Birthday: 14 November 1955 (aged 61)Family: Steve McDonald (son); Amy Barlow (granddaughter); Liz McDonald (ex wife)
- Even Evil Has Standards: While he has a lengthy criminal record and is a known Jerkass. He hates Tracey Barlow and sees her as a bad apple for Steve.
- Papa Wolf: When Jim found out Steve had been beaten up by drug dealer Jez Quigley, he paid Jez a visit and did the same to him. Jez subsequently died of his injuries, which landed Jim in prison on a manslaughter charge.
- Northern Ireland: Where he is from.
- Verbal Tic: Jim tends to repeat things, so he does.
- He almost always uses people's full names, not the short/nickname version; for example, he calls his family members Elizabeth, Steven and Andrew.
- Duration: 2008 — 2014Born: 18 February 1991Died: 2 June 2014 (aged 23)
- Arch-Enemy: Tracy Barlow, who teases and mocks Tina whenever she can about her surrogacy, her boyfriend leaving and anything she can think up of, generally.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Towards Peter Barlow — she wouldn't accept that they cannot have a relationship (he is married) and she kept pursuing him or trying to make him jealous.
- Daddy's Girl: Was very upset when her father died and tried to blame Gail even after the trial found her not guilty. They made up though.
- Famous Last Words: Immediately before she gets bludgeoned to death.Tina: I was born gobby.Rob: You'll die gobby, too.
- Little Miss Snarker
- The Mistress: Peter's, although she didn't want to be. Odd, since Tina was cheated on by Graeme only a couple of years ago and was left devastated.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has won the 'Sexiest Female' award at the Soap Awards for a number of years running. She was often seen wearing revealing clothes or next to nothing.
- No One Could Survive That!: What many viewers thought when she managed to survive and get up from being shoved off the builder's yard balcony. She manages to survive being beaten with a pipe too, leaving Rob shocked that she's still not dead.
- Pipe Pain: After Rob finds out (after the immediate above trope) that she is still alive after falling, he brutally batters her around the head with a pipe after she threatens him.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: The first reason mentioned immediately above.
- Too Dumb to Live: After being shoved from the builder's yard balcony by Rob she survives but immediately continues to goad and threaten him despite the fact he just tried to murder her and that she can barely even stand.
- "Know when to shut up" indeed, Rob.
- Duration: 2005 — 2006, 2007 — 2015Birthday: 1964 (aged 50/51)Where currently: Jersey.Family: Jenna Kamara (daughter); Andrea Beckett (partner)
- Expy: Many consider him an Expy of Charles's other best known character, Dave Lister
- Token Minority: One of the street's first black regulars, the powers that be seemed to struggle with what to do with him other than have him date the show's only other black character. Although in recent years, he has been involved in many more storylines of his own.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Steve McDonald, who he co-owns the local cab firm with.
- Duration: 2011 — 2013Birthday: 27 April 1963 (aged 53)Family: Stella Price (wife)Where currently: Prison; Manchester, England.
- The Gambling Addict: He develops a gambling addiction in 2011, which leads him to having an affair with Sunita.
- Jerkass: Has always had hints of this, but has become a full on Jerk Ass and villain by 2013.
- Love Makes You Crazy / Love Makes You Evil: He didn't start out as a villain, but when Sunita dumps him, he is willing to do anything to get Stella back like setting fire to Jason's van, burning down the Rovers, and killing Sunita when she begins to recover from the smoke inhilation.
- Manly Tears: He is driven to tears when he 'kidnaps' Stella in a taxi and she tells him that it is over and to leave her alone.
Khalid 'Kal' Nazir
- Duration: 2013 — 2015Born: 1972/1973Died: 28 May 2015 (aged 42/43)Family: Jamilia Nazir (deceased wife); Alya Nazir (daughter); Zeedan Nazir (son); Sharif Nazir (father); Yasmeen Nazir (mother); Leanne Battersby (partner)
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: And how.
- Mr. Fanservice: At least, he was to Sinead and Beth Sutherland, who ogled him when he first came to the Rovers.
- Overprotective Dad: To both his children.
- Papa Wolf: To his only daughter, Alya.
- Romantic False Lead: He ultimately served as this to Leanne.
- Duration: 2014 — 2016Birthday: UnknownFamily: Yasmeen Nazir (wife); Kal Nazir (son); Alya Nazir (granddaughter); Zeedan Nazir (grandson)Where currently: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.
- Put on a Bus: He abruptly left the show in November 2016, leaving only a letter to explain where he went. For the real-life reason as to why this happened, see above.
- Your Cheating Heart: He was cheating on his wife Yasmeen for seven years with Sonia Rahman, her good friend. After Yasmeen found out, he left the street.
- Duration: 1995 — 2010Birthday: 24 January 1977Died: 6 December 2010 (aged 33)Family: Fred Elliott (father - deceased); Claire (wife); Maxine (former wife - deceased); Joshua (adopted son); Freddie (son)
- Helium Speech: Only he didn't need helium to sound like that.
- Heroic Sacrifice: During the tram crash, he helped several others escape to safety before the viaduct collapsed, killing him.
- Miscarriage of Justice: Almost. After Maxine was killed by Richard Hillman, Ashley was originally the prime suspect, but was soon cleared and released.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Commented on more than once when he was married to Head-Turning Beauty Maxine.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on Claire with Casey.
- Duration: 2010 — 2016Birthday: 24 August 1987Died: 15 July 2016 (aged 28)Family: David Platt (husband); Max Turner (son); Lily Platt (daughter); Becky Granger (sister); Gail Rodwell (mother in law); Nick Tilsley (brother in law)
- Attention Whore: The main reason she and husband David are a match made in hell.
- Jerkass: She sold her young son to her sister and Steve McDonald and went off on holiday.
- Lost Lenore: Her death haunts David and he refuses to move on from her. Her death is what caused him to attempt a suicide bombing in order to kill Clayton.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: A dark version.
- Parental Incest: Part of her backstory.
- The Chessmaster: As much so as The Seventh Doctor was.
- Your Cheating Heart: She cheated on David with his brother Nick over Christmas 2012, and was unsure of who the father of her daughter is. It's David.
- Who's Your Daddy?: Since she slept with both David and Nick around the same time.
- Duration: 2011 — 2018Birthday: 10 February 1988 (aged 30)Family: Susie Price (daughter); Stella Prince (mother); Gloria Prince (grandmother); Leanne Tilsley (half sister); Aidan Connor (partner)
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Frequently acts like this, even though she is in her late twenties.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Nick Tilsley. Refused to accept that it was over and even tried to wreck her sister's wedding so that she could be with him.
- Ms. Fanservice: Frequently wore dresses that accentuate her cleavage.
- Duration: 2012 — 2014Birthday: 1942 (aged 72/73)Family: Stella Prince (daughter); Eva Price (granddaughter); Leanne Tilsley (granddaughter)Where currently: France.
- Gold Digger: Planned to marry the rich Eric Babbage for his money before he dropped dead in the Rovers, although she claimed to love him.
- Unexpected Inheritance: Eric's first will left everything to his estranged wife, so she did not expect to get anything. However, a more recent will, found later on, left her £80,000 but she used all of this money to help Stella finish rebuilding the Rovers.
- Duration: 2011 — 2014Birthday: 11 August 1963 (aged 53)Family: Eva Price (daughter); Leanne Tilsley (daughter); Gloria Price (mother)Where currently: New York City, USA.
- Mrs. Robinson: Briefly went out with Jason Grimshaw, who is twenty years younger than her.
- Duration: 2008 — 2011Birthday: 1990 (aged 24/25)Family: Xin Proctor (wife); Tina McIntyre (former partner)Where currently: London, England.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He had a unique way with people and way of seeing the world.
- Raised by Wolves: The reason for his uniqueness.
- Pyromaniac: Graeme loved a good fire.
- Duration: 2011Birthday: 23 September 1987 (aged 29)Family: Graeme Proctor (husband)Where currently: London, England.
- Citizenship Marriage: To Graeme.
- Duration: 2015Born: 20 April 1985Died: 13 March 2015 (aged 29)
- Duration: 2014 -2016-Birthday: 13 September 1955Died: 18 November 2016 (aged 61)Family: Gail Rodwell (wife); Gavin Rodwell (son)
- Early-Bird Cameo: When he tried to rob Gail's house earlier on in the year. In his first appearance, he didn't even have a name, he was just credited as 'Intruder'. We later find out his name after Gail decides to meet him in prison.
- Justified Criminal: He explains to Gail that he was once a successful businessman who lost his money in the recession and this is how he turned to robbery.
- Duration: 2011 — 2013Birthday: 24 May 1983 (aged 33)Family: Ruby Dobbs (daughter); Tyrone Dobbs (former partner)Where currently: Outside UK.
- Berserk Button: Tyrone even mentioning his ex's.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She started out as this and only got worse with time.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Subverted and deconstructed. Kirsty emotionally and physically abused Tyrone and it was played for drama. When Tommy and Tina told people that Kirsty was abusing him, nobody believed them, and Tyrone was too scared to admit it.
- Manipulative Bitch: Despite being relatively new, Kirsty managed to manipulate quite a lot of people to get her own way, leading to massive bouts of Karma Houdini. She was able to turn the whole street against Tina and Tommy after they found out about her abusive nature and tried to expose her; she managed to seriously injure Fiz and make her look like a crazy jealous ex with her accusations; and managed to turn the local opinion of Tyrone from a Good Is Dumb Nice Guy into a Domestic Abuser; then turn Tyrone's desperate attempts to protect his daughter into evidence of guilt.
- Duration: 2007 — 2011Born/Died: 22 November 1979 — 28 October 2011 (aged 31)Family: Hope Stape (daughter); Fiz Stape (former wife)
- Black Comedy: His accidental descent into worse and worse crimes is played for dark laughs.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Started out with an affair with a student; later went to kidnapping, identity theft, fraud and finally, murder. All completely unintentional and bumbling.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Bumbling as he may be, he still committed murder with a hammer.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Duration: 2003, 2014 — 2015Birthday: 14 March (age unknown)Family: Jason Grimshaw (son); Eileen Grimshaw (ex-partner)Died: April 2016
- The Atoner: He comes back to Weatherfield in order to try and make up his absence to his son, Jason.
- Opportunistic Bastard: This sums up Tony nicely.
- Duration: 1961, 1962-1963, 1966, 2008-2009
- The Bus Came Back: Returned to Coronation Street after a 42 year absence.
- Not Quite Dead: Tony assumed he killed Jed after strangling him, only to discover he was far from dead.
- Whatan Idiot: His multiple attempts to blackmail Tony Gordon and extort cash out of him, despite knowing Tony is a devious individual. Even tried to blackmail him after finding out he murdered a man, and confronted him all by himself. This of course didn't work out well for Jed, who got strangled by Tony and nearly killed.
- What Happenedtothe Mouse?: Was mentioned that he suffered a heart attack and ended up in hospital after being threatened by Tony Gordon's henchman Jimmy Dockerson. The character was never mentioned again after this.
- Duration: 1960 — 1962, 1963 — 1968, 2011 — 2014Birthday: 1 April 1942 (aged 74)Family: Rita Tanner (wife)Where currently: Unknown.
- The Bus Came Back: He was on Coronation Street in the Sixties and came back after a 43 year absence.
- Jerkass: His completely unnecessary and cruel gloating at Rita, his wife, as he drove off on an adventure with Gloria Price.
- Put on a Bus: He left the street for the second time in a year in August 2014 after he realised his marriage with Rita was truly over.
- Duration: 1981 — 1996, 1997 — 1999, 2002, 2003 — 2004, 2009 —Birthday: 3 December 1980 (aged 36)Family: Leanne Tilsley (wife); Gail Rodwell (mother); Audrey Roberts (grandmother); David Platt (brother); Sarah Platt (sister); Bethany Platt (niece); Lily Platt (niece)
- Bishounen: In his younger years.
- Mr. Fanservice: When he was being portrayed by Adam Rickitt.
- Smug Snake
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Has changed from a likeable enough character to a horrible Jerkass who claims (wrongly) that his brother David tried to kill him and tries to force him to leave the street.
- Who's Your Daddy?: He was a possible father of Kylie's daughter Lily. It turns out she was David's.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on Leanne with his sister-in-law Kylie Platt at Christmas 2012.
- Duration January 2018 — October 2018Portrayed by Ryan Clayton, Joshua "Josh" Tucker was a mechanic at Webster's Autocentre, who raped David Platt and Dec Lonsdale. He was abandoned by David in a random street.
- Abusive Parents: He's estranged from his family and is terrified of being outed as gay and being put on a register. Suggesting Josh's parents were or are homophobic.
- Date Rape: He drugs and rapes his victims while out with them.
- Dirty Coward: he refuses to admit his crimes, even when he's apologising to David.
- The Dreaded: David and Dec were afraid of him and refused to admit their ordeals.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He isn't sent to jail or killed. He's rendered blind in a failed sexual assault attempt and is left a grovelling mess when David defeats him.
- Manipulative Bastard: He posed as Dec and David's friend so he can drug and then rape them. He also got into a relationship with Alya when he started getting attention.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He's a serial rapist who targets men.
- Smug Snake: He doesn't deny his wrongdoings and is proud of them. Until he was blinded after a failed attack.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Billy didn't want Josh anywhere near him but felt compelled to help him since he caused his blindness.
- Villains Want Mercy: He's verbally on his hands and knees when David seemingly takes him to the police.
- Villain with Good Publicity: He built a great reputation with the street while simultaneously ruining David's by provoking him.
Beverly 'Bev' Unwin
- Duration: 2003 — 2006, 2015Birthday: c 1955 (aged 60)Family: Shelley Unwin (daughter)Where currently: Peak District, England.
- Duration: 1990 — 2012Birthday: 24 December 1990 (aged 26)Family: Sally Metcalfe (mother); Kevin Webster (father); Sophie Webster (sister); Jack Webster (half brother); Jason Grimshaw (former partner)Where currently: London, England.
- Attention Whore
- Berserk Button: Please don't confuse Helen with her Coronation Street character.
- Brainless Beauty
- Buxom Is Better: She certainly thinks so.
- Fille Fatale
- The Goth: Before she became a Fille Fatale
- Genki Girl
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Was this after her "goth" phase.
- It's All About Me
- Karma Houdini: And how!
- Ms. Fanservice
- Manipulative Bitch: Had her moments.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Yes, two of them in the family.
- Spoiled Brat
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Took a Level in Dumbass
- Duration: 1969 — 2011Born/Died: 4 February 1920 — 16 April 2012 (aged 92)Family: Gordon Clegg (son)
- Apron Matron
- Deadpan Snarker: Her dry commentary was a Rovers staple for over forty years.
- Supreme Chef: The reason she remained a steadfast employee for as long as she did, her Hotpot is one of the reasons the place is so popular.
- Duration: 2015Birthday: 3 April 2015 (aged 1)Where currently: Canada.Family: Faye Windass (mother); Jackson Hodge (father); Anna Windass (adoptive grandmother); Tim Metcalfe (grandfather); Gary Windass (adoptive uncle); Jake Windass (adoptive first cousin)
- Duration: 2013 — 2014, 2016 —Birthday: UnknownDied: 2018Family: Eileen Phelan (wife), Valerie Phelan (ex wife), Nicola Rubinstein (daughter)
- All Men Are Perverts: He tries to come onto Anna Windass when she turns up at his house to apologise for shouting at him. All while still married to Valerie.
- Gary Windass assaulted him and left him for dead in panic (in reaction to Phelan calling his mother Anna a tart). Phelan used the threat of telling the police (backed up by CCTV evidence) to keep all the money the Armstrong/Windass family are owed.
- Andy Carver assaulted him and left him for dead (noticing a pattern here?). Phelan blackmailed him into stealing a tow truck meant for Kevin Webster, followed up by burning down the garage. When Andy tried to turn him in, Phelan hit him over the head with a laptop and killed him.
- Blood Knight: He loves a good punch up.
- Book-Ends: His downfall was instigated by Gary hitting him with a 2x4 and he died after being stabbed by Anna Windass. The plotline with Phelan was escalated by Gary assaulting him with a 2x4, causing Anna to sleep with him so Gary can avoid going to prison.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Does seem to show genuine affection and care for his long-lost daughter Nicola, which even makes him consider changing his ways and step away from being a criminal. He also claims to love Eileen.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Phelan was introduced as a mere con artist who didn't pay Owen for the work he had done. The character got increasingly sinister, such as blackmailing Anna to have sex with him. That is bad enough, but upon his reintroduction in 2016, he started working to con most of the street, left Michael to succumb to his heart attack whilst taunting him, and in 2017 took an even darker turn by locking Michael's surrogate son Andy in a basement for nearly a year and tormenting him. In the end, he forces Andy to murder Phelan's old partner in crime Vinny Ashford on the promise of releasing Andy once and for all, only to shoot Andy dead in cold blood. Yep, he has come a long way from just being a jerkass conman.
- Jerkass: From refusing to pay Owen for work done back in 2013, to trying to have an affair with Owen's partner Anna, to withholding their profits and investment from the Armstrongs/Windasses, there doesn't seem to be any kinder side to him.
- He did seem slightly regretful when he thought he was leaving Eileen for good with the scam money.
- Karma Houdini: Has become this with the number of times he has managed to get away with his schemes, which has involved raping two women, murdering three men, conning half the street and other petty crimes. Phelan always comes out on top and those that are against him and know what he is truly like are never believed.
- Knight of Cerebus: From raping innocent women, scamming the Cobbles and even killing four men In cold blood. Pat Phelan is definitely the darkest and most sinister Coronation Street villain. Overshadowing the likes of Richard Hillman and Tony Gordon in terms of Malice.
- Lucky Bastard: He says so himself. Phelan has survived and escaped everything that's been thrown at him."Napoleon used to say that he liked his generals to be lucky. Napoleon would have loved me, I'd have been a flamin' field marshal."
- Made of Iron: Like you wouldnt believe. Smashed over the head with a 2x4 by Gary not a scratch. Smashed over the head with a wrench by Andy a brief stay in a hospital, and not a scratch. Smashed over the head with a laptop by Andy not a scratch. Strangled and head smashed into a concrete floor by Andy not a scratch. Smashed over the head by Luke Britton not a scratch. Nearly drowned in liquid concrete not a scratch. For a show thats been largely realistic when it comes to injuries, Phelans apparent nigh-invulnerability to head trauma stands out like a sore thumb. He also survived the fall from a cliff and into the sea, showing the character has a ridiculous amount of plot armour.
- Never My Fault: Seems incapable of realising things are his own doing and instead chooses to blame others for his awful actions.
- Unholy Matrimony: His ex-wife Valerie is a Rich Bitch who's no better than her husband. She doesn't sympathise with Anna at all when the latter tries to tell Valerie about Phelan's pass at her.
- Deal with the Devil: Is the devil in such a deal with Joe McIntyre when he offers him work to keep Tina from testifying against Gary.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite being The Corrupter to him, Len really does love his nephew Gary and offers him a free alibi when he's manipulated by David into robbing Audrey's house.
- Jerkass: Was a longtime criminal and tried to solve his problems through intimidation.
- Bad Boss: Frequently takes out his anger over the problems in his life on Jack by insulting him.
- Becoming the Mask: Initially marrying Bet was a way for them to run the rovers together but both came to truly love one another.
- Doting Grandparent: One of his better qualities is his genuine love for his granddaughter Vicky who's something of a Morality Pet for him.
- Enemy Mine: He and Bet briefly put aside their differences to try to protect Vicky from ending up with Steve Mc Donald, who they believed was no good for her.
- Jerkass: Alec loves to have a laugh at the expense of someone else.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Arranged a beating on Des Barnes on the mere suspicion Des was sleeping with his wife.
- Black Mail: He refused to give his son Paul a kidney transplant unless Jack paid him.He did a runner after being given the money.
- Easily Forgiven: He could always exploit his mother's love for him to get her to overlook his many horrible acts.Averted with his father who could always see his true colours.
- I Have No Son!:
- Jack disowned him after his sold Tommy to Lisa's parents.
- Vera did the same after he sold her a faulty car and caused the death of Judy Mallet.
- Never My Fault: Often tried to claim that his parents did a poor job raising him and blame them for all of his shortcomings.
- Not Me This Time: He was framed for a crime he didn't commit after sleeping with a policeman's wife.
- Pet the Dog: He had Some moments of Kindness before he Took A Level In Jerk Ass such as comforting Hilda Ogden after her house was broken into by burglars.
- Stealing from the Till: One of his schemes was steal Jack and Vera's earnings from the rovers.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Originally he was more of a Lovable Rogue ot Jerk with a Heart of Gold but became a straight up Jerkass over time.
- Token Evil Team Mate: By far the nastiest Duckworth.
- We Used to Be Friends: He fell out with Kevin and Sally when he tried to cause trouble between them by getting Kevin to kiss another girl on a lads night out.
- Domestic Abuse: Manipulated Shelly and isolated her from her friends.
- Elder Abuse: gleefully evicted Keith Appleyard from his home after Keith refused to pay him a roofing bill.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Trying to drown David Platt.
- Manipulative Bastard: Arranged for Maria to be burgaled so he could comfort her and she would rely on him for emotional support.
- Pet the Dog:
- He saved the lives of Dev and Sunita Alahan from Dev's insane ex girlfriend Maya Sharma.
- He stood up for Roy and protected from Jerkass bully Vince when noone else would.