Tropes pertaining to the various characters found in Connection Established.
Canon Characters / NPCs
The Mysterious Stranger that gathered all of Team Aestus together. They're an enigmatic figure who assigns missions to the team and passes on information about the keycode, though they speak very little about anything else.
- Vagueness Is Coming: Shown with his warning to Elina for the Detroit mission:Eli: Miss Walsh?Elina: Yes sir?Eli: A note for you in particular: take heed, because some things will come back to be found.*after leaving*Elina: I don't know what he was talking about I'm sorry.
The city AI of Aestus, Ceto was brought back online thanks to the team, and now is back to overseeing the running of Aestus' facilities, as well as providing more helpful information whenever necessary.
- Artificial Intelligence: She claims the distinction of being the first Class III AI built. Now upgraded to Class IV thanks to Toni and Jack.
amiableJack (Jack Rogers)
The Leader and primary "electronics specialist" of Team Aestus. He's paranoid, untrusting, and rather hostile, especially to those of the higher echelon or implanted, but he is rather playful and relaxed under certain circumstances. He has poor health due to his status as a naturalist, one of the rare people in the world with no implants or genetic modifications found in themselves or their lineage. The team often jokes about how he seems to hate all men he comes across, but in reality, it's simply a matter of clashing personalities. Honest.
- Fantastic Racism: Shown whenever he encounters anything and anyone involved with implantation or genetic modifications. He often uses offensive slurs when referring to people who have such things.
- Good with Numbers: Though seldom demonstrated, he's actually easily capable of calculating things in his head that others would take far longer to calculate even if they had the help of a machine.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he's hostile and can come off as downright mean, he does care for his team.
- Insufferable Genius: He's incredibly abrasive to just about everyone, but in the end he DOES possess skills that usually proven to be invaluable on more than one occasion.
- The Rain Man: Easily noticeable in certain behaviors and conversations, where it becomes clear that he has several different mental illnesses. Despite this (or rather, because of it) he tends to have an extremely good memory, and an unnatural affiliation towards things others might find difficult, such as advanced mathematics and unconventional thinking.
- The Smart Guy: He's incredibly good at hacking and with computers in general, and is often one of the main team members who can be counted on to create a plan.
- The Strategist: It's usually Jack who devises the plans when it comes to tackling the missions they're given. He tends to be very accepting of critique and the input of other's when doing so.
- Terrified of Germs: Shown subtly most of the times, but sometimes it can be fairly obvious. He's known to get extremely upset when exposed to things that are well-known for being filled with bacteria.
aspiringCyberneticist (Antonia "Toni" Ramirez)
The second-in-command and one of the mechanical specialists for Team Aestus. A natural technological genius and freelance mechatronics engineer, she holds a calm, collected and friendly demeanor, though she can be impulsive and reckless (especially during combat), and reluctant in trusting other people, generally keeping information about her life privy to herself only.
- Amazonian Beauty: She sports a somewhat curvaceous figure and an athlete's build with rather toned and overall noticeable musculature, and is seen as attractive by quite a few people.
- Biker Babe: She loves motorbikes, often upgrading her own and riding them frequently.
- Child Prodigy: A former one; she was able to build a complete working robotic rose that bloomed at set times when she was six years old in her first attempt at robotics.
- Deadpan Snarker: Quite a bit of her humor is based off wit and sarcasm.
- The Engineer: The combat version. She knows how to build practically anything, from a simple force gauge, working, customized exosuit and custom dual plasma knives, which she uses with deadly ability.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She's able to create custom transforming enhanced exosuits in a matter of days, and the exosuits to her are merely "simple, incomplete designs".
- The Nicknamer: She tends to do this to people, such as her cousin Catalina (Cat), Karuso (Ruso), and Elina (Lina).
- Only Known by Their Nickname: It's very rare someone calls her Antonia rather than Toni.
- Spicy Latina: She's an attractive Spanish-Canadian badass. Subverted in that she's no longer Hot-Blooded and confrontational... as much.
- Team Mom: She shows her caring side towards everyone on her team, to the point where it's lampshaded by Jack after the Reveal of Anansi.Toni: ....Motherly.Jack: You're incredibly motherly. Are you saying you AREN'T motherly?Toni: I care for this team. That's good enough.
- Tragic Keepsake: A small, simple gold-and-ruby cross necklace her late mother passed on to her when she turned 16.
- Unkempt Beauty: Engine grease can usually be found on her. She's more focused on her work than her appearance anyways.
audaciousIntent (Karuso Enelen)
partitiveDeuterotype (Elina Walsh/Poseidon)
The combat and terrain specialist, and overall jack-of-all-trades of Team Aestus. Elina is cold and calculating, emphasis on cold. She's a shielded girl with a backstory filled with battle, strife, and loss. She puts up a guard and hides herself deep in the waves of her own head, the front she puts up one of a shy and timid girl. Quiet and judging but regimented and loyal, she's quick to take and follow any orders that are given to her for anybody she respects. She has poor health, but is the most augmented person on the team, pushing her beyond most human capabilities at the cost of most of the years of her life.
- Action Girl: Needless to say, her augments and extensive training have made her a complete badass.
- The Ace: She's the best fighter on the team, hands down.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Quiet 16 year old Ill Girl with slightly tinted platinum silver-blue hair, yellow eyes, and pale skin who usually doesn't show much emotion, speaks in a quiet monotone and is heavily augmented due to her Dark and Troubled Past: being involved in a super soldier program before going rogue.
acrobaticPhenom (Maxine "Maxi" Merton)
cybergeneticVegetation (Lyra Ying)
The stealth and infiltration specialist of Team Aestus. Crane constantly wears a mask and has a tendency to sneak around whenever possible, especially for beginning conversations with other people. She seems to have some connections from somewhere, but damn if you can get any information from her about it.
- Cryptic Background Reference: Lives in Atlantis and has krakens help her make weapons... or so she says.
- The Faceless: Has on a mask (complete with voice changer). Never takes it off. Ever.
- Invisibility Cloak: Courtesy of the stealth module Toni put in her exo suit. Also a different device that makes her unable to be picked up on most cameras.
- Nerves of Steel: Sounds completely deadpan when calmly discussing her own death. If she sounds afraid, something is probably wrong... moreso than usual, anyway.
- Stealth Expert: She refers to herself as the stealth specialist of the team.
A relatively new addition to the team, Anansi is an enigmatic individual who is not yet trusted fully by their teammates. They have yet to reveal anything about themselves and it's quite hard to get a read on them — they're always changing appearances and seem to have no real strengths nor weaknesses, either. In general, they are rather amiable, open, and warm to everyone, and are willing to try or do just about anything. But regardless of the cheery nature, Anansi's an all around suspicious fellow... lady... guy... person.
- Allergic to Routine: Anansi frequently touts their propensity to become bored, claiming it as the reason for their frequent cycling through their many randomly generated appearances.
- Ambiguous Gender: No one can decide what gender Anansi is, which leads to plenty of guesswork and debate amongst the members of the team. And it doesn't help that Anansi won't give any hints, either.
- Cannot Convey Sarcasm: Anansi's perpetually easygoing, joking, and smiley demeanor and lack of inflections in their speech makes it hard for others to tell when they're spinning a long, metaphorical and sarcastic tale. Additionally, it's just hard to tell if they're even expressing any other emotions at all, just because of the fact that they never seem to get upset or riled.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Anansi is rather prone to flashing these often no matter what form they take, further adding to the already-thick confusion surrounding their intentions.
- Deadpan Snarker: Combined with their strange disposition, Anansi also tends to be frequently snippy and sarcastic. It just can be hard to tell.
- It Amused Me: One of Anansi's favorite things to do is pull tricks and pranks simply for a couple laughs. They don't seem to care much about the consequences either, because hey, it's all in good fun and they're not really harming anyone.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Good at everything they have or will dabble in, yet excelling in nothing (except for their shapeshifting abilities), this is a huge factor in Anansi's rampant indecisiveness and frequent uselessness.
- Nerves of Steel: Anansi does not ever seem too fazed by anything, nor do they seem to have any outstanding fears. They'd rather let things happen as they come.
opulentSuperior (Marcus Cleary)
tutanKhamsin (Masud Khamsin)
- The Beastmaster: Her entire specialty is based off her natural ability for taming/training genobeasts.