Tropes related to the characters of Collar × Malice. Keep in mind that, since this is a visual novel with multiple routes, tropes that appear in one route might not appear in another. Spoilers under "Adonis Members" will not be tagged since browsing the category itself is a spoiler.
- All bios and quotes are from the official website.
The protagonist, 21 years old. She's a rookie cop who's been on the job for half a year, and works in the Special Regions Crime Prevention Office, more commonly known as SRCPO, in Shinjuku. She's a strong-willed woman who tries to protect the citizens around her, and will always put the needs of others before her own. She's investigating the X-Day incidents because she believes it is key to unlocking the poison collar that was placed around her neck.
Unlike several otome games where the protagonist's personality changes depending on which route she is going through, Ichika maintains a fairly consistent personality throughout every route. In bad ends, she tends to be too wishy washy, hesitant, or dishonest in her decisions. This leads to no progress being made on the case or, worse, her death or the death of a loved one. Following the good ending routes, she is always hard-working and selfless, but she also tends to be naive and too self-sacrificing.
- Action Girl: Ichika is this in every route. She must take a shot (or several) during crucial moments, though whether the shot hits the target is up to the player.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Receives so many: Shiraishi pats her hair, Yanagi taps her head lightly, and Sasazuka pokes her in the forehead gently.
- All-Loving Hero: Adonis was correct to think of her as a sympathizer since she sympathizes with just about everyone. She strives to see the good and motivations in everyone and struggles to believe that anyone who has committed a crime is inherently evil.
- Amnesiac Hero: In Shiraishi's ending. She gets better.
- Animal Motifs: Is likened to a cat by the rest of the cast.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers one to Kei, when he refuses to accept that living has meaning.
- Ass-Kicking Pose: In trigger mode, whenever she draws her gun. This pose is also mirrored with Yanagi in his route.
- Bad Liar: In several routes, her inability to lie convincingly or hide her thoughts is often brought up. It's a mix of Ichika being an open book and everyone just being really good at reading people. Eventually, Ichika just accepts her inability to lie:"As usual, I totally spilled the beans."
- Battle Couple: Particularly in one scene with Yanagi.
- Bodyguard Crush: With Kei Okazaki, if she pursues his route.
- Broken Bird: Should Ichika fail to shoot in Shiraishi's route, Adonis torments her by injecting her with poison again and again until she breaks and becomes an emotionless executor that kills everybody in the cast. Shiraishi remains at her side, but he truly becomes an emotionless doll that can no longer speak and is still under Adonis' brainwashing.
- By-the-Book Cop: Subverted in that, while Ichika attempts to be this, investigating the X-Day Incidents in and off itself is twisting some rules.
- Color Motif: Pink.
- Contagious Heroism: In general, but particularly in Mineo Enomoto's route when she inspires him to pursue the X-Day Incidents seriously again.
- Cool Big Sis: To Kazuki, even though he might disagree.
- Crush Blush: Blushes a lot, especially in Okazaki's route.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In one of Sasazuka's and Yanagi's bad ends.
- Determinator: Ichika pushes through her hardships with unyielding determination. In every single route of the game, she refuses to allow the X-Day countdown go unchallenged. Even if the guy she is working with puts her down and insults her, Ichika will get up again and again to prove herself worthy.
- Disney Death: In Shiraishi's ending, she collapses after being poisoned but turns out to be in a coma. Also in Okazaki's ending, where she is shot and the game cuts to credits before her fate is revealed. Evidently, she lives.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: In one of Shiraishi's bad ends where she becomes Adonis's executioner after the torment of being injected with poison over and over again. This also applies to her appearance in the Adonis special chapter in the -unlimited- fandisk.
- Flashback Nightmare: She has these in Yanagi's routes of her forgotten traumatic meeting with Yanagi.
- Forgotten First Meeting: With Yanagi. See "Aiji Yanagi" character section for more information.
- From Dress to Dressing: Very briefly in Okazaki's route. Ichika will rip off her shirt to dress his wounds.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: Played straight in Okazaki's route.
- The Gunslinger: Ichika calls the shooting range her sanctuary. She often expresses out loud her confidence with a gun, despite never using it on a live target before. If the player hits every trigger moment, she lives up to the boast.
- Hot-Blooded: Combine it with her burning determination and you have a protagonist who is going to get to the bottom of this mystery.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Done for laughs in Shiraishi's route when Ichika tries to down her juice but downs Shiraishi's hard liquor instead. Ichika downs her drink several times in Yanagi's and Sasazuka's routes too.
- In-Series Nickname: "Stupid cat"/"Baka neko" by Sasazuka. "Kitty"/"Neko-chan" by Okazaki.
- I Work Alone: In the common route bad end, Ichika rightfully realizes nobody in Yanagi's group trusts her and attempts to pursue the X-Day Incidents alone. Neither her nor the group can do it without combining forces, leading to the occurrence of X-Day and a bad end.
- I "Uh" You, Too: "I don't hate you." (to Shiraishi)
- Killer Cop: In several bad ends. Twice in Enomoto's route. Once out of revenge for her brother who had just been killed in front of her, and another time out of precaution when Mineo Enomoto was stabbed.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In Shiraishi's ending, Adonis injects Ichika with poison right before he dies and she loses all of her memories.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Kei Okazaki and Kageyuki Shiraishi in their respective routes.
- Love Is a Weakness: In several bad ends, Ichika can become too occupied with thoughts of the guy she is working with and/or his impression of her. This often leads to her underperforming, thus dying or not solving the mystery in time.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: Done for laughs right before downing her drink in Sasazuka's route."Ichika Hoshino. Here I go!"
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her waist. The Adonis side story in the -unlimited- fandisk had her hair cut short.
- Rescue Romance: With Yanagi, should she choose to pursue his route after how he dashed to her rescue in the prologue. Especially since since he also rescued her in the past.
- Supreme Chef: An excellent cook. She demonstrates this ability in every route for the love interest.
- Taking the Bullet: Multiple times. If she misses the shot in Sasazuka's route, she does this, resulting in a heartbreaking bad end. In Kei Okazaki's good end, she also takes the final bullet for him, but she survives. And, finally, if she misses the first shot in Yanagi's route, she dies.
- The Un-Favourite: Ichika admits that her parents favored Kazuki for being more talented and the one to inherit the family business. Despite this, she found her own dream in helping people.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: In Shiraishi's route, she falls asleep on his couch exhausted. When she wakes up in bed with him, she reacts accordingly.
Mineo Enomoto is a 23-year-old former member of Shinjuku Station's Field Ops Team 2. He's very impulsive and often rushes headlong into things. He's honest to a fault, and is able to charm and befriend people very quickly. Because he's always opening his mouth without thinking, Takeru Sasazuka will often chide him for being an idiot, and the two often fight. When he first meets the protagonist, he's quite suspicious about her and her connection to Adonis.
- Adorkable: Prone to blushing and stuttering initially when speaking with Ichika. He has a tendency to blurt out his thoughts as well without meaning to.
- All Men Are Perverts: When swimsuits are brought up in passing in Okazaki's route, Mineo lost track of the conversation but keys in on the word "swimsuits." When Takeru points this out as childish, Mineo deflects it with the "I'm a man, I can't help it!" line.
- Ass-Kicking Pose: Has a gun-drawn pose.
- Bad Liar: Similar to Ichika, he cannot hide what he is thinking and often ends up Saying Too Much.
- Butt-Monkey: To everybody at some point, but especially to Takeru Sasazuka.
- Brutal Honesty: Tells Ichika to her face that he rightfully does not trust her at the beginning of the game.
- Cannot Talk to Women: It is revealed by Sakuragawa that he stammers and freezes up around women.
- The Charmer: In his route and also Shiraishi's route, he's capable of quickly and easily becoming anyone's friends.
- Color Motif: Red.
- Eyepatch of Power: Subverted as a cosmetic choice. Mineo wears it to resemble Date Masamune.
- Fiery Redhead: Played straight.
- First-Name Basis: In the middle of his route, after he discovers that Ichika is already on first-name basis with Kei, a comical scene occurs where Mineo tries to play off saying her first name casually and fails. In Yanagi's route, he ends up encouraging the two love-birds to properly call each other by their first names.
- Hopeless Suitor: It is revealed that Mineo Enomoto's "love affairs" date all the way back to kindergarten. He cried for 3 days and nights after learning his teacher was married. Should he enter a relationship with Ichika, it is presumably his first.
- I Take Offense to That Last One!: In Okazaki's route, Takeru calls Mineo useless and saying he resembles a gnome. Mineo takes offense to being compared to a gnome. Notice that he doesn't deny that he's useless. Only when doing his route do you realize that he knows that he's useless but he's too hesitant to take action until Ichika reinspires him to.
- Love Redeems: Had it not been for Ichika's stubbornly deciding to be his partner in his route, Mineo may have never found the will in him to pursue the incidents seriously again.
- Manly Tears: In his event of looking at the April Incident's crime scene, out of mourning for the man he looked up to.
- Piggyback Cute: One of his events involves him piggybacking Ichika after she twists her ankle running after him.
- Properly Paranoid: Especially so when meeting Ichika for the first time. In fact, he's so paranoid that she's affiliated with Adonis that he actually suggested delaying the antidote to the toxin just in case.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Takeru Sasazuka's Blue.
- Stepford Smiler: While Mineo acts flippant, he is simply trying to liven up the mood to cover up how useless he knows himself to be.
- Sweet Tooth: For pudding.
- You're Not My Type: Mineo says this about the protagonist in the spur of the moment, offending her greatly. When she says it back, he's obviously hurt but tries to laugh it off.
A 24-year-old hacker who previously worked for the Cyber Crimes Division at HQ. He quit after a few months for personal reasons. He's exceptionally smart and skilled, though he's self-centered, brusque, and is always looking for some way to use people to his advantage. Sasazuka doesn't trust others easily and also has a strong dislike of guns due to past events in his life. In mild contrast to his harsh exterior, he's got a pretty serious sweet tooth.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls Ichika "Stupid cat."
- Boyfriend Bluff: Does so in front of Kazuki, much to Ichika's initial horror.
- Coat Cape: As evidenced by his artwork.
- Deadpan Snarker: Embodies his personality. He cannot be in a room with Mineo without insulting him.
- Friendship Denial: In Mineo Enomoto's route, when Mineo requests a friendship discount for Takeru's hacking services, Takeru says only friends get a discount. Despite this, they are truly friends. His words may be harsh, but Takeru has been undeniably looking out for Mineo.
- Genius Sweet Tooth: Has a love for doughnuts and a knack for hacking.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Despite just about everybody carrying a gun in Shinjuku, Takeru refuses to carry one. His primary motivation in solving the X-Day Incidents is to reinstate the Swords and Firearms Control Law. The reason he hates guns is because his mother was killed with one when they were abroad.
- Insult of Endearment: In Sasazuka's route, as Ichika demonstrates repeatedly how competent she is, "stupid cat" begins to sound kind.
- Love Redeems: Without Ichika, Sasazuka would have let himself be consumed by his need of revenge against his mother's killer and unable to reinstate the Swords and Firearms Control Law.
- Older Than They Look: Characters often remark how Sasazuka have a baby face, despite being 24-years-old.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Mineo Enomoto's Red.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Doughnuts.
- Trauma Button: The sound of a gun being shot alone is enough to make him panic and stand still.
A 26-year-old active police officer who works as an SP (Special Police) Officer curently assigned to protect Aiji Yanagi and the other people at the Detective Agency. The reason that he's not assigned to protect a VIP is not made readily apparent. He's usually calm, and can seem like a bit of an airhead because he doesn't care at all about what other people think, simply discarding any opinions that conflict with his desired course of action.
- Always Save the Girl: After declaring that he would protect Ichika, it quickly becomes clear he values her life over anything else including his own life.
- An Odd Place to Sleep: The main character finds him asleep in an alleyway. He boasts that he can fall asleep anywhere in three seconds flat and actually collects sleep-enhancing goods. A huge fan of sleep, he believes that quality of sleep is more important than quantity.
- Ass-Kicking Pose: Two of them: his action kick pose and his gun-drawn pose.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite acting nice, Kei's attitude can often turn harsh. He reveals early on that he would give Ichika up for the sake of his duty without blinking an eye. That is, up until his Declaration of Protection.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: Likes weird foods such as chocolate-covered cucumbers, sea grape marshmallows, and roe-flavored biscuits. They don't taste good, but he gets them because he finds them interesting.
- Bodyguard Crush: Is the bodyguard crushing on the protectee (Ichika) in his route.
- Bridal Carry: Kei straight up picks up Ichika and carries her through a mine field. Also bridal carries her to the hospital in his good end after she takes a bullet for him.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Presents himself as carefree and often clumsy but when it comes to his job, he is really competent when it counts.
- Color Motif: Purple.
- Consummate Liar: Admits that he could lie to anyone, though he didn't lie to Ichika even when it could have made things easier for himself.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He is so clumsy and carefree when it comes to regular tasks that nobody would expect him to be a more-than-competent SP officer at first glance.
- Dark and Troubled Past: What ultimately led to Kei's goal: Two years before the game, Adonis attempted to assassinate the Prime Minister. Kei was too carefree and hesitans, and his indecision led to his colleague, who was both a SP officer and an Adonis spy, protecting him from the explosion and dying. The colleague's last words to Kei was that a SP officer should find a death that had meaning. Scared of dying for the sake of someone not worth protecting, Kei has since sought out someone worth dying for.
- Death Seeker: Not only does he want to protect Ichika, but he specifically wants to die protecting her so that his death has meaning."I don't want to die in vain. There's no value in a meaningless death. I just want to meet an end that has meaning."
- Declaration of Protection: Both at the beginning of the game and again when he decides that she is truly someone worth protecting.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: His reason for declaring Ichika as the one he wants to protect.
- Driven to Suicide: Subverted in his one of his bad endings. After Ichika dies, he points a gun to his head but cannot bring himself to pull the trigger. He wanted to die because his reason to live was gone, but he also wanted to live because that's what she would have wanted him to do. Either way, it doesn't matter because Adonis kills him, though it should be noted that he doesn't resist.
- Diving Save: In Yanagi's route, he dives in and saves both Ichika and Yanagi from falling rubble.
- Enter Stage Window: How he makes his introduction in the prologue.
- Failed a Spot Check: He exercises his stealth to catch Ichika and others off guard all the time.
- Flowers of Romance: Buys Ichika flowers in his route to cheer her up, considering it part of his protection duty. She later buys him flowers as well, but it's more of a get-well gift.
- First-Name Basis: Smoothly done right off the bat with Ichika. He calls her by her first name and encourages her to call his my his first name in other routes as well. This leads to a comical jealousy-driven scene in Enomoto's route.
- Go Out with a Smile: Should Ichika choose to chase after Keisuke, it will lead to a bad ending where Kei dies protecting her. It is not exactly how he wanted, but he dies the happiest he had ever been.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Essentially what Okazaki determined was his reason for existing.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: In his route, he tells Kageyuki Shiraishi that he is the only one who can tease Ichika and anyone else needs his permission, which he will never gave.
- One True Love: Ichika, in his route. He hints that he has liked many people and it's presumed he had physical and romantic relationships before, but he expresses that Ichika is the only one who he has ever felt this way towards.
- Pinky Swear: With Ichika. He promises to protect her in return for her promising not to run from him and not to give up on her dreams.
- Sherlock Scan: Repeatedly reads the protagonist's mind and Adonis' train of thought in logical ways.
- Stepford Smiler: He smiles even when he is in great physical pain.
- Taking the Bullet: Does so for Ichika.
- The Tease: To Ichika ,especially as their relationship develops. Compared to other routes, he is a lot more risque in his actions. Pinning Ichika down in one of his scenes, for one. His short story focuses on him waking up in bed after sleeping with her and leaving a hickey just to see her reaction.
- Worth Living For: Played straight in the most beautiful way. While Kei initially believes that Ichika is worth dying for, she proves to him that she is worth living for.Kei Okazaki: "You're someone that I need to live.
... Right now, you're the reason that I'm alive."
- "Hahahaha! You suspect me, don't you?"
Kageyuki Shiraishi is a 29-year-old active duty cop who works in the Crime Lab as a profiler. He's the Director of the Field Ops department set up to solve the X-Day Incidents. Shiraishi always has a smile on his face, but his words and actions make it impossible for anyone to actually know what he's thinking at any point in time. He's a huge fan of observing cats and humans and is quick to cut ties with anyone he feels bored by. The protagonist's collar and the emotions she has in relation to it seem to fascinate him.
- Abduction Is Love: In Shiraishi's ending, he keeps an amnesiac Ichika underground with him because he will have to pay for his crimes and be separated from her if he goes to the surface. This trope is particularly invoked in his bad ending, where he claims to be her lover instead of her doctor and they presumably spend the rest of their days underground.
- Adorkable: Especially after he comes to terms with his newfound emotions, when he actively tries to get Ichika to like like him. It's the small gestures that make it, starting with buying her animal crackers that he thought she'd like because it's cute to trying to cook her favorite rolled omelette (and failing) to holding hands with her and smiling genuinely for the first time.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Pets Ichika's hair after she passes out drunk. He does this again several times later, quoting how kitty-esque she is.
- Am I Just a Toy to You?: Delivered and inverted by Ichika, along with a "The Reason You Suck" Speech. Astonishingly, despite none of her words reaching him before, this speech was the "one barb that hit the mark."Ichika: Shiraishi...
You aren't really worried about me on any emotional or meaningful level, are you?
You just don't like the idea of your favorite toy getting broken. There is no care in that.
Stop trying to manipulate my feelings. I am no doll. I am not a toy for you to play with.
To me, you... you are frustrating. Aggravating! But more than that... you are a sad, sad man.
You may think of me as a doll, but to me, YOU are the doll. One without a heart or soul.
- Apology Gift: Gives pastries to Ichika after they were at odds. Subverted, as he only got it because he had read that material goods were the fastest way to resolve disputes and not because he was apologetic. It felt more to Ichika like a Food as Bribe moment.
- Attraction to Outliers: Outright expressed by Shiraishi in his route as he becomes more interested in Ichika."Interesting. I do quite love exceptions. Outliers make the most interesting subjects to observe."
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Both played straight when he profiles someone with incredible accuracy and inverted when he does so for seemingly no reason other than to be a Jerkass.
- Beneath the Mask: Beneath the mask of blunt honesty, Shiraishi struggles to even be honest to even himself due to brainwashing from Adonis. Ichika is the one who pulls this mask off of him.Ichika: "Take off that stupid facade for once and show me the real you!"
- Brainwashed: Kageyuki Shiraishi was apparently No.14 of the many orphans taken in to become Agents of Adonis and raised to obey their orders unconditionally. He only approached Ichika because Adonis demanded that he becomes someone she's close too, but this backfired spectacularly when she breaks him out of the brainwashing. For 10 years he was unable to resist Adonis' orders, but he does so for the first time for Ichika's sake.
- Brutal Honesty: Kageyuki's character revolves around how he often states the brutal truth that nobody wants to hear, thus the reason why people tend to stay wary of him.
- Character Development: Ichika and her stubbornness leads Shiraishi into gaining his buried emotions and seeing the value in them. He incorporates emotions with his profiling skills for the first time, taking it up another notch. With all these newfound emotions, he ends up rebelling against Adonis' brainwashing for Ichika.
- Color Motif: Lime green.
- Consummate Liar: Incredibly so.
- Curious as a Monkey: When he's curious about something, he has to observe it and find out more. Case in point: Ichika.
- Dark and Troubled Past: No.14 of the orphans that Adonis took in and brainwashed just to obey and execute orders, Shiraishi knew he would have been disposed of had he been useless. So he became a perfect disposable pawn, becoming a police profiler at Adonis' behest and executing orders for the inside for 10 years. His world was colorless—until Ichika entered it.
- First-Name Basis: After refusing to even remember Ichika's last name, he pulls out her first name after a series of disputes that made him decide her name was worth knowing. Despite this, Ichika never calls him by his first name.
- Freudian Excuse: Shiraishi reveals casually that he's an orphan. Not just an orphan, but an orphan brainwashed by Adonis to become an emotionless pawn, hence his issues with empathy.
- The Gadfly: Teases Ichika so much in his route that our usually reasonable protagonist gets furious. His teasing goes as far as to hire a professional chef into carefully crafting Kotoho Sakuragawa, a meat lover that hates natto, a meat-like natto patty just to see how a normally stoic woman cry.
- Giver of Lame Names: Named the 37 stray cats he visits after numbers. This is particularly horrifying when you realize that this was reminiscent of how he had also been named after a number as an orphan.
- Good Is Not Nice: He is often reminding the naive Ichika that she cannot achieve everything she wants with her do-good attitude. Shiraishi believes that the end justifies the means, especially in regards to his harsh way of digging into people with words to get the truth. He later takes this back, though.
- I "Uh" You, Too: "I don't hate you too."
- Jerkass: He is such a terrible, unfeeling person that it led to Kotoho and Eriko into starting a "Shiraishi Bashing Coalition" that Ichika eagerly joins. Ichika, who was shown to be one of the most patient and kind people in the game, who tries to see the good in everyone. She went as far as to say the quote below:"He's contrary. He gleefully fans the flames of an argument. He does nothing but make people anxious. If I didn't have to be polite... I'd say Shiraishi is one massive pain in the ass."
- Indirect Kiss: Twice when Ichika downs his drink and when Shiraishi eats her omelette. When she freaks out internally over this realization, he teases her out loud about it.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Expresses that he loves cats when Ichika points out his cat pin and cat-like hair accessories and contemplates quitting his job so he would have time to take care of stray cats. He carries a cat toy under his coat at all times so he can play with stray cats. He also has an album full of cat pictures in his apartment.
- Lack of Empathy: Incredibly guilty of this. His tactlessness causes unnecessary pain and trauma and contributes to his Jerkass personality. Justified because he was raised to be an emotionless pawn to Adonis.
- Love Redeems: Had it not been for Ichika, Shiraishi would have been a pawn to Adonis his entire life, unable to disappear orders and having no reason to.
- No Social Skills: Eriko calls him out for this. A direct result of his personality being an awful combination of Lack of Empathy and the Brutal Honesty, he is more often hated than he is liked. He doesn't even bother remembering anybody's names unless he feels that it would be useful.
- The Profiler: He's really good at it too. Yanagi explains in his own route that profiling suits Shiraishi because he sees each case as someone else's problem and would never empathize too heavily with suspects. His abilities to profile led to the initial disbanding of Adonis after the attempted Prime Minister assassination two years prior to the game. It turns out that this was just a ploy to disband a decoy organization, since Shiraishi himself is a member of Adonis.
- Red Herring Mole: Believed to be the mole by Ichika and Yanagi due to his suspicious behavior. Subverted in that he does works for Adonis and was the one to plant the letters leading to Ichika, but he isn't the mole they're looking for.
- Sherlock Scan: So good at reading people from reactions and details that the protagonist wonders if he can read her mind at times. He also demonstrates this ability to the Enomoto in the prologue of Yanagi's route.
- Smug Smiler: So much that it irritates Ichika.
- Stepford Smiler: Considering how he had been brainwashed by Adonis since he was young to have no emotions, he admits that he smiles only to make human relationships go smoothly. When Ichika is on the brink of death, he cries out that she is the only reason he could smile genuinely.
- The Tease: Upgrades into this from The Gadfly after he lies to Kotoho that she would see the "mark" he put on Ichika's neck if she opened up her shirt. Granted, it was a good excuse to keep them away from seeing the collar, but Ichika notes that he is smart enough that he could have come up with a dozen better lies.
- When She Smiles: It shocks him in his route when he gives Ichika a proper gift and she smiles genuinely at him for the first time. Eventually he determines that he wants to protect her smile.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Receives this in Yanagi's route, when Shiraishi reveals his resigned fate to be an emotionless Adonis pawn.Yanagi: You went into the outside world as an agent and interacted with other people.
You only show emotion to people you're curious about, you tease others, push them just over the edge, and are constantly misunderstood.
You like cats, your eating habits are odd... You're ignorant in a number of strange ways.Yet, somehow you've solved many cases.
Are you just some man-made tool that can only carry out commands?
Yanagi is a chain-smoking 28-year-old former cop with a strong sense of justice who was assigned to Investigations Section 1, but he left to pursue the X-Day cases on his own. After realizing there was a limit to the amount of progress he'd able to make on his own, he formed a group with Mineo Enomoto, Takeru Sasazuka, and Kageyuki Shiraishi. He's a natural, though reluctant, leader. Level-headed, thoughtful, and reliable, he tends to avoid jumping into conflict in favor of being able to hear both sides of an issue.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: He lightly taps Ichika on the head several times.
- Ass-Kicking Pose: Has a badass gun-drawn pose drawn to mirror Ichika's.
- The Atoner: He became a police officer to help people and to atone for his guilt for beating a kidnapper into a coma when he was young.
- Battle Couple: With Ichika. See Ass-Kicking Pose.
- Color Motif: Blue.
- Dark Secret: Combine with Dark and Troubled Past and with Forgotten First Meeting with Ichika. To save her from assault, he beat a man brutally until the man was put into a coma. Despite how excessive it was, it was ruled as self-defense. He only reveals this secret midway into his route.
- Dramatic Drop: Drops the plates he was holding when Ichika reveals that she's been having nightmares of a past trauma. See Forgotten First Meeting.
- First-Name Basis: At Minemoto's behest that lover's call each other by their first name, he and Ichika begin doing so.
- Forgotten First Meeting: With Ichika. They first met twelve years ago when Ichika was kidnapped for ransom and Yanagi followed to save her. Both of them were beaten brutally by the captor. Fearing for his life, Yanagi beat the man excessively until he fell into a coma. This frightened Ichika, but despite her initial fear, she ended up remembering him as a savior rather than a monster.
- Former Teen Rebel: Admits that he was a delinquent with piercings in his youth.
- Gut Feeling: Sensed that he could trust Ichika quickly and manages to make accurate deductions with nothing more than intuition and instinct.
- House Husband: Combine Team Dad, Supreme Chef, and In Touch with His Feminine Side and you get this. A "master of the domestic arts" according to Ichika.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Became amazing at cooking at cleaning due to it being practical skills to have.
- I Work Alone: When Yanagi first became a cop, he decided to cut off all ties with friends and families so they would never be caught up in his work. He also attempts to push Ichika away from his personal matters in his route because of this.
- Like Brother and Sister: Yanagi likens Ichika to a sister in his route and Saeki mistakes them for siblings due to Yanagi's "brotherly" air.
- Man of the City: States that his main desire is to protect Shinjuku and restore it to its normal, everyday life.
- Moment of Weakness: In one of his bad ends, he could not overcome his past fears and hesitates in his shot, leading to Ichika taking a bullet for him and dying in his arms.
- Not So Different: From Shiraishi, as both are equally intelligent and maintains distance from other. However, they both acknowledge that they differ in how Shiraishi doesn't care about how others feel whereas Yanagi cares too much.
- Obstructionist Pacifist: Mildly. Due to his Dark and Troubled Past, Yanagi hesitates to enact violence on someone out of fear of killing them. Realizing that he may have to cross that line as a police officer to protect someone, Yanagi turned in his badge. Ichika gave him the strength to snap out of it.
- Pipe Pain: In the past, beat the man who kidnapped Ichika into a coma with a metal pipe.
- The Power of Love: Trust from Ichika gave Yanagi the strength he needed to push through his doubts. Love for Yanagi gave Ichika the strength she needed to push through her doubts.
- Power of Trust: A huge focus in his route. Ichika's trust gave him the strength to act in a crucial Hostage Situation and from that moment onwards. And trust from the rest of the crew pushed Yanagi into solving the X-Day Incidents.
- The Profiler: Though it isn't his official job, Yanagi is quite good at it. However, it appears his weakness is that he empathizes too strongly with suspects.
- Purple Eyes
- The Reliable One: Several characters, including the protagonist, often express how they can rely on him and he demonstrates this in just about every route.
- Sherlock Scan: On par with Shiraishi at this.
- Signature Scent: Cigarette smoke.
- Smoking Is Cool: Though he's trying to quit. He allegedly smokes more than a pack a day (even though it's not really shown in game).
- Supreme Chef: This talent of his is brought up in several routes, but only demonstrated in his and Shiraishi's routes.
- Team Dad: One of the oldest out of the group (The oldest one being Shiraishi, who is 29). He cooks for them and keeps them in check. Okazaki even called him the group's dad and jokes that he gained Ichika's father's approval when Yanagi supported Okazaki getting her phone number.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Played for laughs.Yanagi: People say I'm usually a calm, rational guy. But you know what, Enomoto? A long time ago, I was a somewhat bad kid.
The protagonist's younger brother, Kazuki is a high school student who attends Kotomine Academy. He lives in the same house as the protagonist, but they don't get along very well. To pretty much everyone else, Kazuki's a friendly and sociable person, but whenever his sister is involved, his demeanor shifts.
- First-Name Basis: Calls his sister by her given name than calling her the usual "Onee-san" to highlight the strained relationship the siblings currently have.
- Jerkass: In all routes, Kazuki is presented as mean and hateful right off the bat to a protagonist who has yet to understand why he acts this way. Even after the reason is revealed, it really doesn't justify his behavior.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At the core, he is nice and still cares for his sister, but Ichika has to cut through the bitter attitude he showed to her coming from being pressured by everyone thinking that he'll take the family business instead of actually listening to his dream of being a musician, to actually get a chance to see that Kazuki is still the little brother that Ichika knew and loved.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Only in certain routes, but particularly in Okazaki's when he outright said he'll kick the guy's ass if he makes his family cry.
- Oblivious Younger Sibling: Completely oblivious to Ichika's struggles throughout the game, though it's not really his fault.
- Parental Favoritism: Ichika and Kazuki's parents greatly favored Kazuki for being more talented.
Mochida is the protagonist's direct superior in the SRCPO. He accompanies her on most of her work in the field, and is often fielding calls from concerned citizens alongside her. He's very optimistic, and is always looking out for the protagonist to make sure the job isn't taking too much of a toll on her.
Saeki works out of a police box in Shinjuku, and attended the police academy with the protagonist. The two of them often go drinking, usually at Saeki's behest, and much to the protagonist's dismay, she often ends up having to care for him once he's been overserved.
- Drowning My Sorrows: His friendship with Ichika revolves around them being drinking buddies. Their first interaction in the prologue involves him complaining about how he gets treated for wanting to be a By-the-Book Cop and chasing a righteous justice. Ichika also often catches him drinking alone in several routes with a new reason why he was drinking.
- Just Friends: With Ichika, which she makes clear in Yanagi's route.
A grizzled veteran of the force who works in Field Ops Team 2. He was responsible for most of the intial groundwork on the X-Day incidents, and used to be Mineo Enomoto's superior. He looks gruff on the outside, but he's fair, and has a soft side if he opens up.
- "We greatly appreciate the help of SCRPO, since you're a direct source of public communicaton."
Seiji Minegishi is the Division 1 Commissioner. He works under and reports to Hajime Morioka, and is tasked with overseeing the X-Day Investigation. Minegishi's calm demeanor and his skill with words are often called upon to soothe heated situations.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Minegishi was willing to help the group to solving the case however he can, particularly in Sasazuka and Yanagi's route.
- "For a rookie, you have an awful lot of ties to people of interest... What aren't you telling me?"
Morioka is the Division 1 Section Chief. He's a very fiery man who has a keen intuition and disdain for placing appearances and politics over results. Morioka oversees the entire X-Day Investigation and is Aiji Yanagi's former boss. Everything that Yanagi knows about being a cop he learned from Morioka.
- "Hey Okazaki, I got those snacks you wanted!"
Yoshinari is Kei Okazaki's subordinate, and also a member of the Special Police. He has keen observational skills, but his tendency to just blurt out whatever he's thinking actually turns his insight into a negative aspect. Okazaki is swift to punish him when these situations arise.
- Big "NO!": Delivers one in Yanagi's route to Okazaki who decides he wants to mask as a SRCPO officer and wants Yoshinari to deal with their angry superiors."Yoshinari: Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
- Butt-Monkey: To Okazaki.
- Just Friends: Admits tearfully that the girls he try to pursue usually just thanks him for being such a good friend.
- Saying Too Much: Often guilty of this to Ichika. He often reveals some of Okazaki's secret behavior or crucial information.
- "Please beware of the Director!"
Eriko Mukai works in the Crime Lab under Kageyuki Shiraishi. She respects Shiraishi's crime-solving abilities, but hates literally everything else about him, and isn't afraid to let him know that. She's good friends with Kotoho Sakuragawa and they often go out drinking to vent about Shiraishi.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: While her hate for Shiraishi is very real, Eriko reveals a deep respect for him in Yanagi's route, going as far as to weep after it is revealed he is a terrorist.
- "If this blows back onto me, I'm not going to lift a finger to help you out."
Sakuragawa is a Forensics officer who works at Shinjuku Station. She knows Yanagi and the others through her friendship with Takeru Sasazuka. Because SRCPO doesn't directly deal with the majority of the X-Day Incidents, Sakuragawa is the main point of contact for the protagonist as she tries to unravel the cases. While Sakuragawa may not seem friendly at first, she warms up to people she likes pretty quickly.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Loves meat, which Ichika uses to her advantage in a few routes.
- "Then make those alibis less solid. Do whatever you have to, just arrest them."
The Chief of Police. He's typically above the day-to-day activities of Shinjuku Station, but the lack of progress on the X-Day Incidents has him on the hot seat, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't stay on it. He cares about his position first and foremost, the image of the police force second, and everything else is various shades of immaterial to him.
- "You two suspect me of being the murderer, don't you? I don't want to deal with the police."VA: Shouta Aoi
A young man who had previously been mistakenly arrested for a certain incident two years ago. At that point, he was the lead singer of an indie rock group that was about to make their mainstream debut, but the mistaken arrest caused the band to break up. He's currently performing as a solo artist.
- Foil: To Ogata. Both being mistakenly arrested two years ago by the police. While Yasuhiro moves on and don't let his growing hatred to the police control him, Ogata becomes an executioner of Adonis in a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: In Okazaki's route, calling off Ichika for being a fan without actually listening to her leads to Ichika getting killed by Hana.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Pick an Adonis member. Any Adonis member. Majority of them were all destroyed by how society fails them and decided to take revenge, which Zero graciously provides.
- '"All will become zero. That is what I aiming for."
See Yuzuri Saeki's section under side characters for tropes that apply to his facade.
- Bastard Bastard: He is the son of the prime minister.
- Beneath Notice: He spent years just acting as a normal, pristine person in the Police Academy. It was easy, considering how other people did his dirty work for him.
- The Chessmaster: Considers all of Adonis his "pawns."
- Compelling Voice: Shiraishi is conditioned to obey his commands.
- Consummate Liar: Incredibly so.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He denies Ichika when she tries to understand his motivations by seeing if he was hurt in the past, claiming that he is merely a vessel for the sorrow of the common people. The truth is that he is the bastard son of the prime minister and his mistress. He was imprisoned with his mother so that his existence would never be known, up until his mother's death from illness.
- Death Seeker: In his ideal, reformed world, even he deserved to die.
- Manipulative Bastard: Emphasis on manipulative and on ''bastard.''
- Missing Mom: His mother died loving a man who didn't even want to see her. She even expressed that she would willingly sacrifice Saeki if it meant being with him.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Ichika. If he dies at the hands of the SAT team, he expresses this.
- Speak of the Devil: As soon as Yanagi and Ichika deduce his identity, he follows up with an extremely well timed phone call to inflict doubt and confusion in Ichika.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers to enact the rebirth of Japan with Ichika in his bad end.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In theory, Saeki wants those who are in power to create a world where those not in power can live normal, happy lives. His method of purging the nation by stirring fear and malice to see who is truly good is taking it too far—especially since any amount of hate seems to make someone worthy of death in his books.
A young politician and the son of the current prime minister. He is seen as a rising star in the political world with many supporters.
A former police officer who now runs with a shady crowd in the seedy part of Kabukichou. Also the perp of the August murders.
- Death Seeker: Completely apathetic to the world, Keisuke wants nothing to do with it. He also calls Kei Okazaki out for this.
The timid and fainthearted twin sister of Shion Uno. They tragically lost their parents when they were younger and have only had themselves to rely on as they came of age.
- Berserk Button: Do not bring up family around her.
- Crash-Into Hello: With Ichika.
- Cute and Psycho: She's adorable, but do not push her Berserk Button.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yurine Uno, Suzune and Shion's mother, was bullied by a student who decided to make her life hell after rejecting his confession because she's a married woman, which the other students joined in. It got too much that she snapped, trying to kill Suzune and Shion in a Moment of Weakness, which failed as their father protected them, and later, killed herself. Their lives had been hell with everyone around them treating them with disdain after the death of their parents except for Satomi Takeuchi, Yurine's old friend who had grown to be the twins' Parental Substitute and Takeuchi herself returning their sentiment, seeing them as her own children. When Takeuchi told them the truth of what happened to their mother on their 18th birthday, the twins were ballistic at the revelation and wished for revenge.
- Shrinking Violet: Usually.
- Split Personality: Has DID Personality disorder from the trauma of her mother's suicide. Shion suggest that Suzune keeps a notebook with her on all times so she wouldn't lose herself.
- "It's rare for you to talk with someone."
Suzune's very protective twin brother. When the situation is normal, Shion is a very mild-mannered child, but he's quick to jump to his twin sister's defense.
A young man obsessed with online gaming. He is a guild leader, and so skilled that he is worshiped as a god in the game world, something which he takes tremendous pride in.
The victim of a very public stalking case who was greatly traumatized by the ordeal.
- Rescue Romance: In the darkest way. Adonis "rescued" her by offering her the means of seeing her stalker killed and she fell in love because of that.
- "I apologize for Kazuki, Ichika..."
Kazuki Hoshino's best friend and high school classmate. He's calm and kind, and often stays over at Ichika's house. Akito loves music and often composes new songs that he demos for Kazuki. See also Akito Sera's entry under side characters.
- Anti-Villain: Among the executioners, he is notably the only one who did not fight against Ichika no matter the route, rather, he helps her.
- The Atoner: In Yanagi's route, regretting what he has done, he turns himself in. Furthermore, despite losing his memories, when he's filled in on everything, he works on the police's side.
- My Greatest Failure: His Selective Obliviousness to his sister's peril, eventually leading to her death. In Sasazuka's route, particularly, this is what stemmed him to give advice for Ichika to talk out with Kazuki to ensure that they gain an understanding. Because he never get to understand his sister till her final moments.
- Vengeance Feels Empty: Months after the bombing incident, he is left with lingering guilt that he killed people.
- "Hana's satisfied just being able to support the band!"
Hana is a hardcore fan of Yasuhiro Isshiki. She dresses loudly, and is always looking for a way to get closer to Isshiki.
- Catchphrase: "Anyone with a curious nature would wonder." This becomes her undoing in Yanagi's route as Ichika recalls her meeting with her early on.
- DidntSeeThatComing: It's possible for the first time you ever see her to be just a moment before your death at her hand in the first Okazaki Bad End.
- Fangirl: To Isshiki... obssessively so.
- Yandere: She kills the protagonist not once but twice for just getting near Isshiki.
- Verbal Tic: She speaks in Gyaru culture language.
A man who stabbed a stalker to death during the July X-Day incident. He claims that it was self-defense, and the evidence backs up his story.
- Trauma Conga Line: After the mistaken arrest, his relationship with his wife went south, resulting in a tearful divorce on both husband and wife's part, his daughter in his now ex-wife's custody. He is also humiliated by his co-workers and it was so bad that he took the chance at revenge when Zero gave him the choice.