Second-Age Heroes | Second-Age Villains | Fourth-Age Heroes (Pillars of Equestria, Sisterhood of Magical Fillies [Dazzling Divas]) | Fourth-Age Villains (Tyrannos Pantheon, Children of Ispita, The Shadowed Ones, Tribalists, Autorists, Hydianites) | The Grand Primevals | Amaredae | Equestrian Pantheon | Breezie Pantheon | Diamond Dog Pantheon | Gremlin Pantheon | Bogolenya Deer Pantheon (Belyolen, Temnobog, The Four Terrors) | Abyssinian Pantheon | Church of the Stars (Golden Scepter) | Poenan Pantheon | Trimortidae | Hoyklan Deer Pantheon | Elternteil Deer Pantheon | Minotaur Pantheon | Jotunn Pantheon | Tauren Giant Pantheon | Draconic Pantheon | Shinseina Pantheon | Dharmadeshvar Pantheon | Zebrafrican Pantheon | Old Orosian Pantheon | Pramanthan Pantheon | Great Skunk Pantheon | Sauropodian Pantheon | Novellus Pantheon | Unaffiliated Deities (Blue Suede Heartstrings) | Principalities of Equestria (Canterlot, Ponyville) | Sunnytown | Grittish Isles | Crystal Empire | Luchalibre | Alvslog Deer Realms | Erobreseg Deer Realms | Nordskelt Deer Realms | Abyssinia | The Storm Empire | Terran Empire (Blazing Hoof, Fanged Paw, Clear Voice, Crimson Star, Bright Eyes, Steel Barricade, Death Shroud, Written Word, Night Shade, Red Blade) | The Changeling Courts (Spring Court, Summer Court, Autumn Court, Winter Court) | Kulesian-Mazlander Commonwealth | The Cloven Empire | Friendship Gardens | Hyrule | Machina | Federal Republic of Ponyland | Neighpon | Imperium of Ponykind | Kerajaan Cahaya | Sauropoda | Hybrid Haven | Meridia | Dragonflights | Giants | Mephitidia | Mousikós | Alicorn Civilization | The Visitors | Creatures and Monsters | Historical and Mythical Characters
open/close all folders
- Badass Family: All members of the Trimortidae are Death deities who are capable of wielding incredible power and kicking ass, and this extends to their non-Ascended adoptive/biological siblings. Some members have biological siblings who are also badass deities - Bossa Nova Heartstrings, the Alicorn god of Death, Music, and Joy, is the older identical twin brother of Blue Suede Heartstrings, who is the Alicorn god of Music, Humility, Performance, and Love as well as a "prodigy" deity.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Many of the Trimortidae, such as Bossa Nova and Sola Mors, are pretty friendly, compassionate, and even cheerful. However, they are still Death deities, so provoking them will almost always end badly.
- Dark Is Not Evil: All members of the Trimortidae are Death gods and goddesses, but they're pretty benevolent and they all have a huge role in preserving the balance/cycle of Life and Death, ushering the souls of the innocent into a blissful afterlife while subjecting the wicked to eternal damnation. In terms of philosophy, many of them see Death not as a malicious, frightening concept, but as a normal, everyday change that is ultimately beneficial for everyone.
- Deity of Human Origin: Played with. Many members of the Trimortidae were once spirits of mortals who died in some way, including stillbirth (Bossa Nova) and suicide (Sola Mors). However, they would eventually Ascend to godhood through performing good deeds.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Despite being Death deities, many of them are very benevolent, compassionate, and heroic. Their roles either consist of comforting the dying by bringing them joy in their last moments, delivering them to their eternal reward for good deeds, and/or punishing the wicked for their crimes. They also serve as protectors who defend the deceased from those who seek to resurrect them against their will, and/or wicked souls and demonic forces who prey on the innocent.
- Happily Adopted: Many members of the Trimortidae were adopted by either one of the Three Deaths - usually Gavisus Manes - after death and deliverance into the afterlife, usually at infancy or a young age. Being benevolent Death deities, the Three Deaths would raise their adoptive children with as much love and care they would show their biological children, which played a long way in their sons and daughters Ascending to godhood later on. Bossa Nova Heartstrings and Sola Mors are two known examples of this.
- Psychopomp: Many of them started out as angels/psychopomps who helped out the Three Deaths in delivering the deceased to their respective afterlives and punishing the wicked. Bossa Nova and Sola Mors are two known examples.
- Sinister Scythe: Subverted. Like the Three Deaths, the deified members of the Trimortidae carry traditional scythes or some other variant, as scythes prove instrumental in freeing bound spirits by "cutting" whatever is preventing them from moving on to the afterlife. The wielders themselves are benevolent and heroic individuals who play an important role in preserving the natural cycle of Life and Death.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: All members of the Trimortidae have the ability to change their forms so they could make the dying and deceased feel more at ease around them. Some, like Bossa Nova and Sola Mors, have a preference for appearing as their mortal selves before they Ascended.
Bossa Nova Heartstrings, the Laughing Musician
Divine Classification: Ethereal/Ascendant
Portfolio: Death, Music, Joy
Rank: Divine (Tier IV/Greater)
"I know Death can be scary for everyone, but in reality, it is no different than the changes we face everyday. The first step to realizing this is learning when to let go... and learning when to laugh."
Bossa Nova Heartstrings (his entry here) is the Alicorn god of Death, Music, and Joy, and the older identical twin brother of Blue Suede Heartstrings, the Alicorn god of Music and Humility.
- Adult Fear:
- Much of his issues involving family stemmed from the fact that he was stillborn, which robbed him of the chance to grow up with his biological family, especially his twin brother, Blue. Despite earning a surrogate family in Gavisus Manes and his biological/adoptive children, Bossa Nova spent much of his (after)life wondering if his biological parents truly wanted him or not, as Copper Wheel and Sunny Love were living in abject poverty. He was also so desperate to connect with Blue that he was willing to subtly manipulate his brother's life just to ensure Blue's well-being, and quickly took up the chance to meet him in person when it was offered, at the cost of completely neglecting his adoptive family. And yet, after finally meeting Blue and getting to know his brother, Bossa Nova still didn't feel happy - in fact, he felt incredibly homesick and resentful over Blue having something to look forward to while he didn't. It took Blue confronting him on the issue for Bossa Nova to realize how much he had screwed up with the people he loved, and he would go back and apologize to his adoptive family on Blue's encouragement. Bossa Nova also gained some closure when his biological parents assured him that they still loved him despite the stillbirth, despite not expecting twins at all, and even grieved his death.
- He also had a moment of this when Blue admitted that he still would have been stuck under the hoof of his exploitative and controlling record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, if his brother had not manipulated his life. Learning that things could've gone worse for Blue if he hadn't taken matters into his own hooves horrified and enraged Bossa Nova.
- When Blue was assaulted by a Poenan deity for protecting Ponyville and its ex-Sunnytown residents during the Poenan Pantheon's attack, Bossa Nova felt his brother's pain. This led to him displaying an extremely cold rage as he retaliated against the Poenan deity and their followers/allies.
- After Blue finally confesses his lingering trauma over "Colonel" Hollow Note's emotional abuse to his family and loved ones, Bossa Nova realizes that he had been ignorant of his brother's suffering for years, both due to knowing little of the consequences of emotional abuse in general, and Blue hiding his pain extremely well despite their empathic twin bond. He then resolves to make it up to him by helping Blue more and being more attentive to his brother's needs and problems.
- Affectionate Nickname: He's often called "Boss" by his (many) younger adoptive siblings, who look up to him.
- Always Identical Twins: He and his younger brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, are identical twins who have since Ascended to godhood, and because of this, they look exactly the same except for a few differences - he has a dark red mane and tail made of musical energy, dark red wing gradients on his wings, and a skull-shaped guitar Cutie Mark surrounded by a halo of music notes and flanked by black wings. Meanwhile, Blue has a dark blue mane and tail made of musical energy, dark blue wing gradients on his wings, and a red, heart-shaped electric guitar Cutie Mark surrounded by a halo of music notes and flanked by white wings.
- And Then What?: By his own admission, he didn't know what to do with himself after he fulfilled his goal of finding and connecting with his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings. This is what fueled his resentment of Blue for having something to look forward to while he doesn't, until Blue confronted him about it and forced him to admit his feelings. The ensuing argument caused Bossa Nova to realize that his single-minded obsession caused him to neglect his duties as a psychopomp and nearly ruined his relationship with his adoptive family, leading to a breakdown. Thanks to Blue's forgiveness and encouragement, though, he was able to go back and make amends with his adoptive family, restoring their relationship.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Embodies Death, Music, and Joy.
- Badass Baritone: His entry notes that his voice is deep like Blue's, but with a fainter southern Ponyland accent. He's a former psychopomp who Ascended and became an Alicorn god of Death, and is a completely benevolent individual.
- Batman Gambit: Both on the receiving and giving ends.
- When he let his obsession with connecting with Blue go too far to the point of neglecting his duties and adoptive family, Gavisus lets him leave home to find his biological brother, partially out of sympathy for his adoptive son's loneliness and mostly to teach him a lesson. Bossa Nova does eventually find Blue traveling with his coltfriend/husband, Record Beat, after a bit of searching... however, he unfortunately finds that once he fulfilled his goal, he doesn't know what to do afterwards, which leads to him resenting Blue for having at least something to look forward to while he doesn't. It takes being confronted and prodded by his brother for him to realize how his actions were affecting everyone, and breaks down from the truth. But Blue's forgiveness and encouragement motivates him to go back home and make amends with his adoptive family, and is accepted back.
- He himself would later pull one on the soul of a elderly mare he was trying to usher into the afterlife because she feared Death. In order to convince her that there is nothing about Death to be afraid of, he tricked her into letting him into her house by appearing as a vulnerable, injured stallion (thus appealing to the elderly mare's sense of empathy) and forming a friendship with her as he "recovered". The elderly mare soon finds out she's been tricked, though, so he has to calm her down until she is finally placated enough to take his hoof when he requests her to. Nothing happened, thus disproving her initial fears about Death and finally allowing her to move on to the afterlife.
- Big Brother Instinct: Due to being identical twins, he's only marginally older than Blue. Despite this, he is noted by his entry to be rather protective of Blue, being willing to come to his brother's defense if needed.
- When he learned that Blue would've stayed trapped underneath the hoof of his exploitative and controlling record manager, "Colonel" Hollow Note, if he had not manipulated his younger brother's life, he was both horrified and furious.
- During the Poenan Pantheon's town-wide attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown, he would feel Blue's pain when a Poenan deity assaulted his brother. This led to him displaying an extremely cold rage as he retaliated against the Poenan deity and their followers/allies.Bossa Nova Heartstrings: (angrily) YOU'VE ATTACKED MY BROTHER. YOU'VE HURT MY BROTHER. NOW YOU ALL SHALL BE PUNISHED IN TURN.
- When he noticed that Blue had fallen into an emotional slump after the deaths of his parents, he impulsively decided to direct him to Record Beat, a unicorn DJ who had a crush on Blue for a while, in a well-meaning attempt to help Blue recover from his depression. This kicked off a series of events that led to Blue quitting his job as a career musician and taking up globe-trotting, eventually leading to his Ascension to godhood.
- After Blue finally confessed his lingering trauma from "Colonel" Hollow Note's abuse, Bossa Nova realized he had been ignorant of Blue's suffering for years despite their empathic bond, because he assumed that things would be fine once "Colonel" Hollow Note died and was dragged to Tartarus in chains by Malus Manes for his crimes. He then sought to make up for it by promising Blue that he'll help him more from now on.
- Color Motif: He's associated with the color red, having a dark red mane and tail made out of musical energy and possessing dark red divine regalia/armor that he prefers not to wear in favor of casual clothes. Red represents passion, confidence, and energy - unlike his calm and mellow brother, Blue, he's more emotional and excitable, and in general is a joyful, optimistic, and charismatic Death god who loves performing music as much as his brother Blue does. However, red also represents resentment, anger, rebellion, and over-bearing behavior. Of him and his brother, he's normally easier to anger and has a hot temper, though he is capable of displaying extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off. His entry also notes that he can be rather impulsive with his decisions, which leads to his good intentions backfiring, and unwittingly caused a lot of heartache and tragedy for Blue when he was a mortal. He also neglected his duties as a psychopomp and his adoptive family just to connect with the brother he could've grown up with, and once he achieved that goal, he began to resent Blue for having something to look forward to while he didn't. It's after Blue confronted him and forced him to admit his feelings did he fully realize that he screwed up, and he went back home and apologized to his adoptive family for his mistakes.
- Comfort the Dying: Like his adoptive father, Gavisus, he helps comfort the deceased and dying by spreading joy, which he came to embody after Ascending to godhood. His entry notes that one of his favorite ways to do this is through music - whenever he meets a dying person, he'll play a lullaby and/or a generally relaxing song that'll calm their anxieties and ensure a peaceful death. However, if the person's too jittery and worried to be relaxed, then he'll play a wild, upbeat song so they can have the time of their lives and end up dying happy... or end up being too happy to notice that they're dead until they find themselves in the afterlife. At this point, though, they usually end up realizing that being in the afterlife is no different than living in the mortal planes, so they'll just continue enjoying themselves.
- Cool Big Sis: Gender-inverted.
- It's mentioned that many of his younger adoptive siblings in Gavisus' realm look up to him and call him "Boss", implying that he treats all of them well. He did neglect them for a time when he grew obsessed with meeting and connecting with his younger twin brother, Blue, but eventually he realized the error of his ways. After being forgiven and encouraged by Blue, he went back and made amends with his adoptive family by apologizing to them and vowing never to neglect them again.
- He's also this to Blue, despite being marginally older than him as his twin brother. His entry notes that he's generally supportive of his brother's decisions even if he may not personally agree with them; he is weirded out by Blue's faithful worship of the "King in Heaven" despite being a god himself yet doesn't give his brother grief for it. And while he was perturbed upon learning that Blue befriended Prince Stoltur Skjöldur, the Bogolenya Deer god of Evil and Pride, he appreciates Stoltur for looking after Blue and taking care of his brother's emotional needs. He's also very protective of Blue and is willing to come to his twin's defense if needed. And due to his experiences with Death and helping people deal with it, he has often comforted Blue whenever someone close to him dies, such as his first coltfriend/husband Record Beat, who eventually died of old age. And when Blue turned out to be still suffering from lingering trauma long after his abusive record manager's death, he resolved to make up for his ignorance by promising to help Blue more from now on.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Defied. As a psychopomp-turned-Death god, he has quite an extensive knowledge of ways people can die horribly and knows that all things must die eventually. However, he refuses to let himself become bitter and cynical despite his knowledge. This is because he perceives Death as a beneficial concept that equates old things such as harmful personality traits, roles, habits, and traditions to garbage that must be "thrown away" so people can properly enjoy life. Clinging to such things is akin to a person letting garbage pile up and stinking up their house. Even possessing the precognitive ability to predict people's deaths doesn't bog him down; instead it just motivates him to spread joy and comfort to the deceased and dying however and whenever he can.
- Dark Is Not Evil:
- He sees the concept of Death as this. Death is not purely malicious, instead being one of many changes that occurs everyday, even figuratively. Most notable is the fact that people "throw away" old things such as harmful personality traits, roles, traditions, and habits so they could properly enjoy life. Clinging to the past and refusing to move on is akin to a person stinking up their house by letting garbage pile up.
- This also applies to himself. Despite being a Death god, he takes after his adoptive father, Gavisus, in that he's a joyful party-lover who is skilled in playing music, and also a compassionate and gentle god who helps spread joy and comfort to the deceased and dying. Even his choice of wearing a black leather jacket in his mortal unicorn form when he could opt to wear his divine barding is just a preference to make the dying accept and trust him more easily.
- Deity of Human Origin: He was once the spirit of a stillborn foal who was supposed to be the older of identical twins, but instead "grew up" under the care of his adoptive father, Gavisus Manes, and became a psychopomp who ushered the deceased into their respective afterlives. He grew obsessed with connecting with Blue Suede Heartstrings, his younger twin brother, but when he realized that he completely neglected his adoptive family and his duties in the process, he went back and apologized for his wrongdoings. His many good deeds, along with his epiphany, eventually allowed him to Ascend to godhood.
- Delinquent Hair: Like Blue, he also sports a pompadour while taking the form of a mortal unicorn stallion, though it's subverted in that he's not a delinquent. At worst, he can be stubborn, impulsive, hotheaded, and mischievous, but he's also a joyful, charismatic, compassionate, and gentle person who wants to comfort the dead/dying and bring joy to them.
- Determinator: He was willing to do anything just to connect with Blue, the twin brother he could've grown up with had he not been stillborn, to the point where he neglected both his adoptive family and his duties as a Psychopomp. After Gavisus Manes let him go find Blue, he quickly took up the offer and left home... only to find that he didn't know what to do with himself once he completed his goal, which led to him resenting Blue for having something to look forward to. Blue confronting him on his resentment is what led to him realizing how much he screwed up, and he would go back home to apologize to his adoptive family after Blue forgave him and encouraged him to make amends.
- Didn't Think This Through: One of his flaws is that he can be impulsive and short-sighted, ensuring that even his good intentions can backfire because he didn't plan things out very well. Notably, his attempt to help Blue recover from his parents' deaths by subtly directing him to unicorn DJ, Record Beat, backfired because he was unaware that same-sex relationships were greatly frowned upon in the early Second Age. Blue did get the emotional support he needed and he even ended up marrying Record Beat, but he also became the target of public disgust for falling in love with a stallion. Blue's record manager at the time, "Colonel" Hollow Note, also used his relationship as blackmail to control him.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Downplayed. His entry notes that he's somewhat embarrassed by the name his birth parents gave him, but he tries not to let it get to him.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Despite being an ex-psychopomp who later became a Death god, Bossa Nova is a joyful, charismatic, and mischievous person who likes playing music and pulling practical jokes on people, but is also really compassionate and gentle to both the dead and the dying. His perception of Death as a normal, everyday change rather than a malicious concept is what keeps him from becoming bitter and cynical towards everything as both divines and demi-divines tend to do, and is a major reason why he's very sympathetic to those who have a hard time accepting their deaths or fear the idea of dying one day, especially children and the elderly.
- His entry notes that whenever he meets a dying person, he'll play a lullaby and/or a generally relaxing song that'll calm their anxieties and ensure a peaceful death. However, if the person's too jittery and worried to be relaxed, then he'll play a wild, upbeat song so they can have the time of their lives and end up dying happy... or end up being too happy to notice that they're dead until they find themselves in the afterlife. At this point, though, they usually end up realizing that being in the afterlife is no different than living in the mortal planes, so they'll just continue enjoying themselves.
- One incident had Bossa Nova invoke this in order to deal with the soul of a fearful elderly mare, who holed herself up in her house and refused to move on because she feared dying. To convince her , he tricked her into letting him "recover" in her house by appearing as an injured stallion, and struck a friendship with her to get her to trust him. When she later figures out who he is and is both angry and frightened over being tricked, he calms her down until she is finally placated enough to take his hoof when he requests her to. Nothing happens, revealing that the elderly mare actually feared not Death, but what might come after.
- His entry also notes that his experiences with Death and helping people deal with it means that he has often helped his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, grieve whenever a loved one dies, including Blue's romantic partners, due to both of them being Alicorns. When Blue's first coltfriend and husband, Record Beat, eventually died of old age, he personally delivered the unicorn stallion to the afterlife himself as a reward for taking such good care of his brother.
- Elvis Lives: Double-subverted. He's based on Jesse Garon Presley, the stillborn older identical twin brother of Elvis Presley, so like his real-life counterpart, Bossa Nova came out stillborn while Blue survived. However, he managed to get a life of his own via being adopted and raised by Gavisus Manes, the Alicorn god of Death and Joy, allowing him to "grow" up, and became a psychopomp assisting his father. His attempts to connect with Blue, his long-lost younger twin brother who is living, set off a chain of events that led to Blue discovering that his dead twin is actually "alive" and ultimately Ascending to godhood. Meanwhile, Bossa Nova realizes the mistakes he made with both his brother and adoptive family when his actions get him barred from the afterlife, and with Blue's encouragement, he goes back home and makes amends with his family, eventually leading to him Ascending as well.
- The Empath: Due to embodying Joy, he has empathic powers that allow him to detect feelings of joy and project an empathic aura that fills people with joy and happiness. While he normally uses his empathy to help bring comfort to those who are dying, his joy-based empathy makes him a powerful person when facing entities that thrive solely on negative emotions, as said entities can be weakened and/or killed by positive emotions. Naturally, given his domain, he often gravitates to those who spread joy. He can also "emotion-bomb" those who willingly rob people of their joy as punishment for their actions, and also curse them to feel their victims' suffering indefinitely unless they genuinely repented.
- Emotion Bomb: His entry notes that he can use his psychic empathy to punish those who willingly rob people of their joy. Sola Mors' entry mentions that he can also curse people to feel the suffering they've inflicted on their victims indefinitely until they've genuinely repented, such as the bullies and teachers who drove a despairing Sola to kill herself in her mortal life. He would later teach this ability to Sola, presumably after she Ascended.
- Family Theme Naming: Like his younger twin brother, he's named after an Elvis Presley song - in his case, he's named after the song "Bossa Nova Baby". On the other hand, he's named after a musical genre like his brother - whereas Blue is named after the Blues genre, he's named after Bossa Nova, a style of Brazilian music that combines samba with jazz.
- Fantastic Racism: Defied and averted. Like Blue, he has an incredibly low tolerance of tribalism/racism, and sees those who become hateful bigots as bullies who rob people of their ability to feel joy just for existing. However, he believes that they potentially can be redeemed of their ways.
- Fiery Redhead: He has a dark red mane and tail to contrast his younger brother, who has a dark blue mane and tail, and he's noted to be more emotional and hot-tempered than Blue, who usually displays Tranquil Fury when angered. However, it's subverted in that he displays an extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off.
- For Want of a Nail: It's revealed that he was responsible for Blue's Ascension to godhood when his well-meaning attempts to help his younger twin brother recover from his parents' deaths unwittingly kicked off a series of traumatic events that left Blue grieving and rather depressed after he snapped from it, which led to Bossa Nova directing an incognito Luminiferous to his brother in a desperate attempt to fix his own mistakes. Blue would later admit that while he was mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life, he forgave him nonetheless because he truly meant well and apologized for it. He also acknowledged in-universe that if his brother hadn't interfered at all, Blue still would've been stuck under the hoof of an exploitative record manager, unable to get out. Bossa Nova was both horrified and livid when he learned of this.
- Freudian Excuse:
- He was initially obsessed with connecting with Blue, his younger twin brother, because he wanted to be with the family he could've grown up with had he not died prematurely, and felt insecure over whether he was truly wanted or not. Though his reasons are sympathetic, his actions resulted in Blue suffering a brutal Trauma Conga Line that led to a brief lapse into uncontrollable rage, and got himself in trouble with Gavisus and his family for neglecting his duties. And once he finally got to meet and know Blue, he found he had nothing else to look forward to after that, leading to him resenting his brother. Blue confronting him about the subject made him realize just how badly he screwed up with everyone, so he went back to apologize to his adoptive family once Blue forgave and encouraged him to make amends, and swore never to neglect his duties again.
- His current perception of Death ultimately stems from his experiences mentioned in the above point. After seeing how his obsession with Blue nearly destroyed his relationship with his adoptive family, he learned to let go and see Death as a beneficial concept that helps people "throw away" old things like certain personality traits, roles, habits, and traditions. Obsessively clinging to them is like a person stinking up their house by letting garbage pile up. This gives him the experience needed to help Blue deal with his own grief whenever someone close to him dies, such as his partners and children.
- Friend to All Children: Like Gavisus, his adoptive father, he is one. His entry notes that he is incredibly sympathetic to children in general because they tend to be the most emotionally vulnerable when they die, or have a hard time accepting that they might die one day. His fondness of children also extends to his younger adoptive siblings, many of whom are spirits of deceased foals and babies, and as a result they love him in return.
- This trope is what factored into his anger towards Trench Bull and his willingness to help Terran Princes Crimson Star and Night Shade arrest her, as Trench Bull sadistically abused and tormented the students of her boarding school for years, including imprisoning them in "the Chokey" for hours on end. Later, both he and Sola Mors were seen at the boarding school playing with the abused students, and cheering them up with music and theater. It's also implied that he wanted to punish Trench Bull herself, as Golden Scepter mentions to the Four Terrors that one of Malus Manes' adoptive nephews, who is the twin brother of "that travelling musician" Mercy became a huge fan of, had visited him with a request to take Trench Bull's soul under his jurisdiction should she die.
- Gentle Giant: Like Blue, his true form is a tall and handsome Alicorn god, only being dwarfed by older Alicorns such as Luminiferous and Golden Scepter, the oldest members of the Church of the Stars. He's also a joyful, optimistic, compassionate, and gentle (if a bit mischievous) stallion who likes bringing joy and comfort to the dead/dying, and is sympathetic towards those who have a hard time accepting their deaths and/or fear dying one day. And like Blue, provoking his wrath is also ill-advised.
- God in Human Form: Justified. Like Blue, he has often appeared in various mortal forms, with his preferred form being a mortal unicorn stallion. This is so as a Death god, he could make it easier for the dying to accept and trust him more during their last moments.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: He has dual-colored wings, his feathers bearing a magical gradient that goes from yellow-orange to dark blue. Due to the nature of how divines grow in Equus, especially Alicorns, his possession of a wing gradient is a sign of his age and incredible power.
- Greaser Delinquents: Subverted. Like Blue, he appears as a Greaser whenever he takes the form of a mortal unicorn stallion, wearing a black leather jacket and styling his mane into a pompadour. However, he's an Alicorn god of Death, and being raised by Gavisus influenced him to become as cheerful and benevolent as his adoptive father. His entry also notes that despite his divinity, he generally prefers to look more casual so the deceased and dying could accept and trust him more.
- The Grim Reaper: Pre-Ascension, he worked as a Psychopomp, assisting his father Gavisus Manes in comforting the dying and ushering the souls of the deceased into the afterlife. He neglected his duties for a time when he grew obsessed with meeting and connecting with his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, which got him temporarily barred from the afterlife, but he eventually realized his mistakes after fulfilling his goal and getting into an argument with Blue, and returned home and made amends with his adoptive family. He would later Ascend and become a Death god shortly after Blue Ascended via performing lots of good deeds. Despite his domain and job, however, he's a very joyful, compassionate, and gentle (if a bit mischievous) person who only wants to bring joy and comfort to the dead and dying. If there's anything he wants people to learn, it's that Death is one of many changes people go through everyday, so there's really nothing about it to be afraid of. As a bonus, he carries a scythe as his main weapon... though it's really a guitar-scythe hybrid, as the scythe part is connected to the divine guitar he carries with him, and the blade can be folded or unfolded at any time when needed.
- Happily Adopted: His entry notes that after he died in stillbirth and was ushered into the afterlife, he was adopted by Gavisus Manes, who raised him with as much love and care as his biological parents raised his twin brother, Blue. Bossa Nova really appreciates this and credits Gavisus for teaching him everything he had learned, though there was a time where he completely neglected both his adoptive family and his duties in favor of connecting with Blue. He soon realizes his mistakes thanks to Blue, and reconciles with his family once Blue encourages him to make amends.
- Healing Hands: Through music, he can heal his listeners. This is how he saved Blue after he was severely injured fighting a monster.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Like Blue, he also wears a black leather jacket when appearing as a mortal unicorn stallion.
- Historical Badass Upgrade: He is based on Jesse Garon Presley, Elvis Presley's older identical twin brother who came out stillborn. While he came out stillborn like his character inspiration, Bossa Nova was adopted by the Three Deaths, giving him a surrogate family of his own. His noble upbringing influenced him to eventually become something great - an Alicorn god - despite being dead, and being a Death god means he's still rather powerful despite not being a "prodigy" deity like his younger brother.
- Hot-Blooded: It's noted that he can be hot-tempered and thus is easier to anger than Blue, who is usually the level-headed and calm brother of the two. However, he starts displaying an extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Due to being identical twin brothers, he and Blue look almost exactly the same in both their mortal and divine forms, save for a few differences - he has a dark red mane and tail, and his Cutie Mark depicts a skull-shaped guitar. His true form as an Alicorn god has wings with a dark red gradient, and his hair is made of dark red energy soundwaves with bright orange musical bars and notes running through them. His Cutie Mark has the same halo of notes as Blue's does, except the guitar part of his Cutie Mark is flanked with black wings instead of white.
- Immortality Begins at 20: Subverted. After Ascending to Alicornhood, he became immortal and eternally youthful just like his twin brother. However, as deities only get Stronger with Age in the Codexverse, he would continue "growing" and become more eldritch, which Mzazi states is normal for Alicorns. As such, his wings gained a magical gradient that goes from bright yellow-orange to dark red, and his hair changed magically to represent his domains. And because he Ascended shortly after Blue did, he's now "younger" than him by divine standards despite being marginally older biologically, something that he hilariously didn't take well but gradually accepted.
- Innocently Insensitive: He genuinely believed that Blue's problems would end once "Colonel" Hollow Note died and got Dragged Off to Hell by Malus Manes. What he didn't know was that Hollow Note's behavior left behind psychological trauma that took years for Blue to recover from, something that Blue himself hid extremely well. Once that came to light, Bossa Nova apologized for his mistakes and promised Blue that he'll help him more and be more attentive to his needs from now on.Bossa Nova Heartstrings: I thought things would be fine once that abusive bastard died and was dragged away to Tartarus in chains by Uncle. I didn't know things like that can still hurt...
- Instrument of Murder: His primary weapon is a divine guitar-scythe hybrid that looks like the electric guitars of the Second Age at first glance, but can be unfolded to reveal a scythe's blade. It's rather appropriate since he is a psychopomp-turned-Death god.
- Interspecies Friendship: He has befriended Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love, and Narren, the Elternteil Deer god of Music and Celebration, because they embody Music and/or are skilled musicians themselves.
- Large Ham: It's noted that like Blue Suede Heartstrings, he can get really wild and hammy whenever he performs on-stage.
- Living Is More Than Surviving: Essentially what his worldview is - in the end it's not about surviving, but rather it's about living one's life to the fullest. Death is just one of many beneficial changes that help people live better despite its frightening connotations, because without it, people will not be able to move on. Clinging to things that have long since expired is like letting garbage pile up in the house, causing it to stink.
- Magic Hair: In his true form as an Alicorn god, his mane and tail are much longer and rippling, and they're made of dark red energy soundwaves with bright orange musical bars and notes running through them.
- Magic Music: Much like his younger twin brother, Blue, he is capable of wielding this since he embodies Music. Due to the nature of his job, he is very good at calming and soothing listeners with music, and is capable of playing lullabies to achieve that effect. However, he can also empower and heal his listeners, and dispel effects created by fear and hatred-based spells. His musical healing in particular was how he saved Blue from a monster that severely injured him during their first encounter pre-Ascension.
- The Magnificent: Known as "the Laughing Musician" due to his cheerful and joking character despite being a Death god, as well as being the Alicorn god of Music.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Like Blue Suede Heartstrings, he has the ability to unleash powerful, disorienting screams as part of his Music domain.
- Make Some Noise: Due to sharing the domain of Music with Blue Suede Heartstrings, he can also wield sonokinetic magic, which allows him to manipulate sounds in general. His entry notes that much of his capabilities are more or less the same, including hypnotizing and lulling people to sleep with his singing voice, creating shockwaves, unleashing powerful and disorienting screams, and nullifying sound indefinitely.
- Meaningful Name:
- As noted previously, his name comes from the Elvis Presley song "Bossa Nova Baby" to give him a connection to his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, who is based on Elvis Presley himself and named after the song "Blue Suede Shoes". His name also refers to the Brazilian "Bossa nova" genre, which combines samba and jazz.
- His family surname, "Heartstrings", refers to deep feelings of love or compassion. He deeply loves both his biological and adoptive families, and while he initially neglected the latter in favor of connecting with Blue Suede Heartstrings, who survived to adulthood while he was stillborn, he eventually realized the error of his ways and apologized to his adoptive family for his actions. In general, he's a joyful, compassionate, and gentle (if a bit mischievous) Death god who, like Gavisus, helps bring joy and comfort to the deceased/dying so they can have an easier time passing on.
- His naming structure echoes how his and his brother's ages were switched around upon Ascending. "Bossa" is one letter longer than "Blue", referring to how he's biologically older than Blue, if only marginally due to being identical twins. However, his middle name, "Nova", is one letter shorter than "Suede", referring to how he became younger than Blue by divine standards due to becoming a god shortly after Blue did. As a bonus, he is named after a song that Elvis Presley made later in his career while Blue is named after a song Elvis performed early in his career. Hilariously, Bossa Nova didn't take it well when he learned that he is now "younger" than his twin brother, but he gradually accepted it.
- Mellow Fellow: His entry notes that while he can be more emotional, immature, and excitable compared to the level-headed and calm Blue Suede Heartstrings, and has a more outgoing and playful personality in general, he can be calm and mellow at times just like his brother.
- Modest Royalty: Technically, as an Alicorn god of Death, he is royalty due to social representation of Alicorns as royalty in general. It's noted that he does have divine barding in the form of dark red regalia/armor, but he prefers to wear casual clothes like a black leather jacket to make it easier for people, especially the deceased and dying, to accept and trust him more.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
Bossa Nova Heartstrings: (to Blue Suede Heartstrings) You've been hurting all this time... I thought it was 'cause of me or something else... or maybe I was just imagining things. I just didn't realize that it was my 'brother's instinct' telling me that something was seriously wrong! I'm really sorry for not helping you when you needed it, Blue. I thought things would be fine once that abusive bastard died and was dragged away to Tartarus in chains by Uncle. I didn't know things like that can still hurt... From now on, I'm going to help you as best as I can. If you need somebody to lean on or talk to, don't hesitate to come to me, okay?
- He was so obsessed over connecting with the twin brother he could have grown up with had he not died prematurely that he accidentally subjected Blue Suede Heartstrings to a brutal Trauma Conga Line trying to help him, and ended up neglecting both his duties as a Psychopomp and his loving adoptive family. And when he finally completed his goal, he ended up resenting said twin brother for having something to look forward to while he did not, something he initially kept to himself. Blue confronting him about it and forcing his brother to reveal his hidden feelings made him realize that he screwed up majorly with everyone on both sides, causing him to break down repeatedly apologizing. Blue forgave him, and his encouragement to make amends motivated him to go back home and apologize to his adoptive family for neglecting them in favor of his biological family.
- He would have another moment of this when Blue finally confessed his lingering trauma over "Colonel" Hollow Note's exploitation and emotional abuse, causing Bossa Nova to realize that despite their empathic twin bond, he still remained ignorant of his brother's suffering due to knowing little of the long-term consequences of emotional abuse and Blue hiding his pain extremely well. In Bossa Nova's words, he assumed that things would be fine once Hollow Note was Dragged Off to Hell for his crimes by Malus Manes. He resolved to make things up to Blue by promising to help him more and be more attentive to Blue's needs and problems.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Bossa Nova's well-meaning attempt to help Blue Suede Heartstrings recover from his depression over his parents' deaths by directing his twin brother to a stallion who loved him completely backfired, as it led to Blue facing public disgust for having a same-sex relationship, and caused Blue's record manager, "Colonel" Hollow note, to use it as blackmail to control him. The brutal Trauma Conga Line that would follow pushed Blue to his absolute breaking point, and when he got into a heated argument with Hollow Note, he snapped, and beat him up for years of exploitation and manipulation... only to be so horrified by what he had done that he was later found at home by Record Beat, praying to the "King in Heaven" for forgiveness. Bossa Nova attempted to fix this by directing an incognito Luminiferous to Blue, which was successful, but his meddling in mortal affairs got him in trouble with the Three Deaths, who were all incredibly disappointed with him. Blue would also get mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life when he found out, but he forgave his brother as he truly meant well and apologized for it, and acknowledged that he wouldn't be able to leave behind the music/movie industries had Bossa Nova not interfered at all.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Subverted. On the outside, despite being identical twins, he and Blue Suede Heartstrings seem like complete opposites, both in looks and personality - Bossa Nova is red-haired and is more emotional and excitable, being a cheerful, optimistic, and mischievous person who's also stubborn, impulsive, and hotheaded. Blue is... blue-haired, and is normally calm, mellow, and level-headed, being a very humble and compassionate person who usually displays Tranquil Fury when angry. However, they have elements of each other's personality, as Bossa Nova has his calm and mellow moments just like his brother and falls into an extremely cold rage when he's really pissed off, while Blue is more hotheaded than he appears as he becomes openly angry and upset when confronted by something he truly hates. In addition, it's noted that they actually have a lot in common than people assume - like Blue, Bossa Nova loves playing music and acts wild and hammy whenever he's on-stage, and became an avid fan of superheroes after Blue introduced him to comics. He also shares Blue's hatred of tribalism/racism in general, as it robs people of their ability to feel joy just for existing.
- The Prankster: His entry notes that he's a prankster who enjoys playing practical jokes on people, but generally he never goes too far. He has sometimes used his Death domain to make himself appear as Blue and pretend to be him, something that Blue himself is not amused with. This personality trait is what endeared him to Amina, the Griffon goddess of Selfless Love, as she has a similarly mischievous sense of humor.
- Psychic Link: He shares a psychic, empathic bond with Blue that has survived long after his stillbirth, and is believed to have stemmed from being born identical twins. This bond allows Bossa Nova to sense what Blue is feeling and vice-versa, though it has the potential to develop into something more if they decide to improve on it. Bossa Nova calls it his "brother's instinct". If either one of them is hurt, the other will feel his pain, something that happened when a Poenan deity assaulted Blue during the Poenan Pantheon's attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown. Kúzelník, the Deer god of Sorcery, took interest in Bossa Nova and Blue specifically for this reason, as their bond is different from the magical bond shared by Belyolen and Temnobog, and offered to help them improve their bond. It was noted that he and Blue turned Kúzelník's offer down after a long talk.
- However, despite their twin bond, Bossa Nova still remained ignorant for years of the lingering trauma Blue suffered from being controlled, exploited, and abused by his manager, [["Colonel" Hollow Note]], partially due to his own ignorance over the long-term consequences of emotional abuse, and partially due to Blue hiding his pain extremely well. Once Blue finally confessed his trauma, Bossa Nova realized how much his brother was hurting and resolved to make it up to him by promising to help him more and be more attentive.
- Psychic Powers: Like Blue, he has these. As part of his domain of Joy, he has telepathic and empathic powers that allow him to detect and spread joy. And due to being a Death god, he has clairvoyant powers in the form of sensing impending deaths and precognition in predicting how a person is going to die, which just motivates him to spread joy and comfort to the dead however he can.
- Psychopomp: His entry notes that once he grew "older", he became an angel and assisted his adoptive father, Gavisus Manes, in bringing joy and comfort to the dying as well as ushering in the dead to their respective afterlives. He neglected his duties for a time when he became obsessed with meeting and connecting with his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, but he soon realized his mistakes and made amends with his adoptive family. Later, he would Ascend and become a Death god shortly after Blue Ascended by doing lots of good deeds.
- Raised by the Supernatural: In his case, the supernatural being is Gavisus Manes, the Alicorn god of Joyous Deaths and the youngest of the "Three Deaths". While Bossa Nova has his biological parents, much of his personality and beliefs were heavily influenced by Gavisus, and he gives him credit for turning him into the person he is now.
- The Resenter: By his own admission, he didn't know what to do with himself after he finally fulfilled his goal of meeting and connecting with Blue, his younger identical twin brother, which led to him resenting Blue for having something to look forward to while he didn't. Blue confronting him about is what led to him realizing how his obsession with what he couldn't have led to him neglecting his duties and nearly destroyed his relationship with his adoptive family. After Blue forgave and encouraged him to make amends, he went back home and apologized to his adoptive family, who welcomed him back.
- Seers: As part of his Death domain, he possesses precognitive abilities that allow him to foresee how a person is going to die. While it's normally a terrible power to have, he only sees it as motivation to comfort the dead and dying however he can.
- Sinister Scythe: His main weapon is a guitar-scythe hybrid - at first glance, it appears as a divine, skull-shaped electric guitar, until it unfolds and reveals a scythe's blade. It's subverted in that his weapon is used for beneficial purposes - namely, helping the dead pass on to their respective afterlives and freeing trapped souls from whatever is preventing them from passing on.
- Spanner in the Works: He's revealed to be responsible for the events in Blue's life that ultimately led to his twin brother becoming an Alicorn, when he directed Blue to Record Beat, a unicorn stallion and DJ, in an impulsive yet well-meaning attempt to help Blue recover from his depression over losing his parents. Blue acknowledges this in-universe, admitting that while he was mad at Bossa Nova for manipulating his life, he would've been still stuck under the hoof of his exploitative and controlling record manager if Bossa Nova hadn't, which is partially why he decided to forgive his brother.
- Spider-Sense: As a psychopomp-turned-Death god, he has the ability to sense when a person's going to die, allowing him to comfort them and bring them joy in their last moments.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Justified with him and Blue Suede Heartstrings. Because they're identical twin brothers, they look almost exactly the same save for a few differences, such as hair color, Cutie Mark appearances, and wing gradients.
- Super Hearing: His entry notes that as part of his Music domain, he has enhanced hearing like Blue. Presumably, he also possesses the same endurance that makes his mouth and ears resistant to damaging noises.
- Supernatural Floating Hair: In his true Alicorn form, both his mane and tail are much longer and perpetually rippling.
- Synchronization: Due to the empathic bond he shares with Blue as twins, one of them will feel the other's pain if either one is hurt in some way. This happened when a Poenan deity assaulted Blue during the Poenan Pantheon's attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown, provoking him into going on a furious rampage against the Poenans in retaliation.
- Telepathy: As the Alicorn god of Joy, he has telepathic abilities that allow him to dig up a dying person's happiest memories and allow them to relive said memories, which has the effect of snapping them out of their bitterness and making them realize that ultimately, their life wasn't as bad and worthless as they believed.
- Twin Telepathy: It's believed in-universe that being twins gave him and Blue a psychic, empathic connection that survived even beyond Bossa Nova's stillbirth, allowing them to sense what the other is feeling, though it's also noted that their bond could develop into something more if either one of them decides to improve on it. Bossa Nova calls their bond his "brother's instinct". If either one of them is hurt, the other will feel his pain, something that happened when a Poenan deity assaulted Blue during the Poenan Pantheon's attack on Ponyville for housing repentant/redeemed members of Sunnytown. Kúzelník began taking interest in Bossa Nova and Blue because they are connected differently than Belyolen and Temnobog, and offered to help improve their psychic bond, but Bossa Nova and Blue turned him down after a long talk.Kúzelník: Fascinating. My younger brothers, Belyolen and Temnobog, they only have a magical bond that empowers them when they work together, and weakens them when they don't. But... I have never encountered a set of divine twins that shared a bond of psychic nature.
- Tragic Stillbirth: Copper Wheel Heartstrings and his wife, Sunny Love, never knew that they were expecting identical twin colts, and only realized this after Sunny gave birth and Bossa Nova came out stillborn. This understandably affected them as Copper and Sunny grieved their elder son's death, and became the target of scorn from their wealthier neighbors who looked down on the Heartstrings family for being poor. It's believed in-universe that Bossa Nova's death also affected his younger twin brother, Blue Suede Heartstrings, in some way as he developed a fondness for kids and has been seen talking to those who lost family members of their own, such as Prince Written Word from the Terran Empire. On the other hand, the fact that he was stillborn became the source of a lot of Bossa Nova's issues - he was driven to meet and connect with the brother he could've grown up with had he not died prematurely, yet wondered if his birth parents truly wanted another foal since they lived in abject poverty at the time. Thankfully, he soon realized that he still had people who loved him, and much of his fears were disproven when Copper and Sunny revealed to him that they still loved him all the same.
- Tranquil Fury: While he's normally hot-tempered and easier to anger than Blue, he falls into an extremely cold rage when he's really angry.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: As part of his Death domain, he has shapeshifting abilities that allow him to appear as members of various mortal races so he could make the dying feel more at ease around him. Being The Prankster, he has used his shapeshifting to impersonate other people as a joke, such as his own brother, Blue. Blue was not amused with this.
- Winged Unicorn: His true form is a tall and handsome Alicorn god who looks almost exactly like Blue by virtue of being identical twin brothers, save for a few differences - his mane and tail are made of dark red energy soundwaves with bright orange musical bars and notes running through them, while his Cutie Mark is a red, skull-shaped guitar flanked by black wings and surrounded by a halo of music notes.
- With Great Power Comes Great Perks: It's mentioned that he sometimes used his Death-related shapeshifting to impersonate people as a joke, which he has done with his twin brother, Blue. Blue was not amused with this.
Sola Mors, the Courageous Performer
Divine Classification: Ethereal/Ascendant
Portfolio: Death, Performance, Empathy, Courage
Rank: Divine (Tier III/Intermediate)
"For some folks death is a release and for others death is an abomination, a terrible thing. But in the end, I'm there for all of them."
Sola Mors (her entry here) is the Alicorn goddess of Death, Performance, Empathy, and Courage, and is a benevolent and heroic member of the Trimortidae, the divine biological/adoptive children of the Three Deaths.
- Abstract Apotheosis: She Ascended to demi-godhood when, upon discovering those who suffered and/or died in the "Void Aeon" event, she realized she's not the only one who suffered and there are other people who need help, too, which motivated her to help her family comfort the distressed spirits. She would later Ascend to true godhood by continuing to reach out to lonely people and be there for them in their last moments.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: In The Sandman, she is the older sister of Dream of the Endless, the Lord of Dreams. Here, it's mentioned in her entry that she befriended an ancient god of Dreams through sheer kindness, with implication that said god is the expy/ersatz of Dream.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Embodies Death, Performance, Empathy, and Courage.
- Captain Ersatz: She's based on Death of the Endless, as she shares her character inspiration's kindness yet has traits of her own that makes her unique.
- Close to Home: She despises bullies with a passion, as she was driven to kill herself to escape the constant bullying that hounded her as a mortal teenager in high school for being eccentric and weird. Thus, bullying anyone in front of her is a quick way to get her angry. By extension, she hates tribalism/racism as it's really no different than bullying someone for existing. However, it's subverted that she's usually controlled in her responses and displays Tranquil Fury; she used to be more hot-tempered about it, but Blue Suede Heartstrings helped her through her issues and taught her to only respond to bad actions, and even then with measured force, as it is possible for even bullies to be redeemed of their ways.
- Cool Crown: She wears a "crown" of roses when she's in her true form as an Alicorn goddess.
- Deity of Human Origin: She was once the tormented spirit of a teenage pegasus filly who committed suicide to escape her classmates' relentless bullying and her teachers' apathy. However, her courageous decision to help comfort the distressed spirits of those who died in the "Void Aeon" event is what led to her Ascending to demi-godhood, and she would eventually reach true godhood by doing more good deeds.
- Didn't Think This Through: Once, when she was still a demi-goddess, she impulsively joined a few of her siblings in protecting mortal sapientkind from Death itself by preventing everyone from dying. While well-meaning, they didn't stop to consider the potential consequences that would come from nobody dying. According to Sola, Bossa Nova caught them in the act, and they would be lectured for hours by the Three Deaths for their actions.
- Emotion Bomb: One of the things she can do with her empathy is "emotion-bomb" her targets to punish those who emotionally abuse innocent people and make them feel lonely to lower their self-worth. She can also determine how long it lasts for a person, though only for those who truly warranted it. Her entry notes that Bossa Nova taught her how to do it at one point.
- The Empath: She has great psychic empathy due to embodying Empathy as a concept, though it's noted that her powers are weaker than Bossa Nova's and Blue's due to being "younger" than them as a divine. While she has typical emotion-reading abilities, she mostly focuses on lonely people, including the dying, so she can help comfort them. She can also create an empathic aura that calms anyone in its vicinity and fills them with warm love that dispels their loneliness and makes them realize that they aren't alone after all. She can Emotion Bomb her targets, usually as a punishment for those who emotionally abuse innocent people and make them feel lonely to lower their self-worth. In addition, she can curse people by forcing them to feel the suffering and despair they inflicted on their victims indefinitely until they repent and change their ways, though only when they truly warranted it. This is something that Bossa Nova taught her, having done the same thing himself on the bullies and teachers who drove her to suicide.
- Face Your Fears: Invoked. As the Alicorn goddess of Courage, she can inspire courage in others either with her psychic empathy and/or by talking to them, which also helps those she empowers acknowledge their fears so they can become better. Notably, after learning that Blue Suede Heartstrings had a fear of being exploited after he was forced to act in movies for profit in his day, Sola helped him face his fears by having him act in a musical she created. Blue expressed in song his traumatic experiences during the early Second Age through the character he acted as, and his emotional performance was received with thunderous applause, causing him to realize that acting for entertainment didn't feel so bad after all. This later led to him getting over most of his issues when he befriended Changeling Queen Ithomiini through Sola, resulting in a lucrative career as he created several critically-acclaimed soundtracks for Ithomiini's movies and acted in some well-received ones himself.
- The Magnificent: Known as "the Courageous Performer" due to being a divine performer who embodies Courage, and being a bold and daring person who isn't afraid to try new things and inspires people to do the same.
- Meaningful Name: Her name means "Lonely Death" in Latin, which is rather appropriate, considering that she killed herself after being bullied for much of her life with almost no one helping her. Ironically - or perhaps because of it - she is a very kind and warm-hearted, if eccentric and emotional person who reaches out to lonely individuals and comforts them in their last moments.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She would give an ancient god of Dreams an epic one after he continuously wallowed in self-pity despite her attempts to help him heal emotionally. She would then punctuate her speech by throwing at him a piece of bread he was feeding the birds with.Sola Mors: You are utterly the STUPIDEST, most SELF-CENTERED, APPALLINGEST EXCUSE for an 'ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION' on THIS or any OTHER PLANE! An INFANTILE, ADOLESCENT, PATHETIC SPECIMEN! Feeling all SORRY for yourself because your little GAME is OVER, and YOU haven't got the- the BALLS to go and find a NEW one!
- Sinister Scythe: Her main weapon is a black divine parasol that's adorned with roses, but its alternate form is a black-handled scythe with red roses adorning the top. It's subverted in that her weapon is used for beneficial purposes - namely, helping the dead pass on to their respective afterlives and freeing trapped souls from whatever is preventing them from passing on.
- Suicide Is Shameful: Averted. She would endure so much bullying at school for being eccentric and "frightening", with none of the teachers intervening either out of fear for losing their jobs or sheer apathy, that she was eventually Driven to Suicide. However, no one would blame Sola for making her choice as she had been in an extremely miserable situation, and helping her recover from her emotional/mental trauma became first priority among the Three Deaths and their kids once she was ushered into the afterlife, even though it possibly would've been better if she had lived instead. Even Bossa Nova and Blue, despite opposing Sola during her supernatural rampage, never shamed her for committing suicide as they talked her down by pointing out how her irrational anger is hurting everyone, including innocent people. The kindly treatment she received would influence Sola in how she interacted with suicidal people - while she is empathetic towards those who choose to commit suicide, she still tries to save them from the brink by helping them out of their despair so they could find a reason to live.
- Winged Unicorn: Her true form is a tall Alicorn goddess with a sparkling mane and tail made of darkness and stars, with a thick, ethereal red stripe running through her hair like the red carpet reserved for famous celebrities and performers. In her true form, she wears a "crown" of roses and a long, flowing black gown that's adorned with roses.