Characters of Riyoko Ikeda's Claudine...!
Claudine de Montesse
- Break the Cutie: He's more of a handsome boy (in a woman's body) than a cutie, but he is broken nonetheless.
- Not Good with Rejection: After finding out that Sirene has left him for his older brother Andre, he commits suicide in a snowy night.
- Princely Young Man: Well, female-bodied man, but otherwise fits the trope. He's pretty much the incarnation of the Gentleman type.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: He gives one to Maura when she's grieving over her father's sudden death. His mom catches them and they have a huge fight, which leads to Claudine going to the doctor again.
- Snow Means Death: See below. It also snows when Rosemarie visits his grave.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: This happens when he first met Louis, who thinks he's a full-bodied boy.
- Uptown Guy: His first love was Maura, a cute little maid to his family's home.
- Transgender: Female-to-male.
Madame de Montesse
Auguste de Montesse
Andre, Thomas, and Edouard de Montesse
- Intergenerational Friendship: He (in his 40's at least) and Claudine (who starts the story as a pre-teen boy, by the end is in his late teens)
- Break the Cutie: She witnesses all the disgraces that befalls Claudine, and can only give him limited support. And for worse, she gets half her face scarred in the fire that killed August and Cecilia.
- Break the Cutie: Poor Maura! It's hard not to feel sorry for her, specially when she realizes that her first paycheck never arrived home and when her dad dies all of a sudden.
- Country Mouse: Her parents worked as retainers for the Montesse family, and she was even born in the main house (with little!Claudine holding newborn!Maura in his arms). Then they moved back to a nearby village, and Maura came to work to the main home...
- Meido: An adorable girl who works as a maid for the Montesse family.
- Sleep Cute: She sleeps into Claudine's shoulder just after arriving to his home. Awww...
- Hot Teacher: He worked as Rosemarie's tutor.
- Not Good with Rejection: He is found out by Rosemarie that his lover Auguste was sleeping with Cecilia. Then he went crazy.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Has white hair, and is one of the most vicious characters in the story.
- Yandere: He sets the house on fire that killed Claudine's father and his own sister. Why? because Cecilia had slept with his lover Auguste.
- Birds of a Feather: She and Claudine bonded over their love of books and poetry.
- Hot Librarian: She worked as the librarian of the local all-girls's school.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Do you remember that cute girl who a then-15-year-old Claudine saw through the window of a ballet academy? That's her.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Seems so. When Claudine explains that he's trans, she takes it in stride.
- Sibling Triangle: With Andre and Claudine. She chooses Andre, which led to Claudine to commit suicide.