The characters from Chronicles of Elantra
- Action Girl: Oh, yes.
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt "her" children. Or, in fact, any children, if she's around.
- Broken Bird: When she first meets the Hawklord.
- The Chosen One: She has the marks of the Chosen, but no one really knows what it means.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Kaylin has been responsible for saving the city (and the world) multiple times and has shown herself capable of magical feats that are beyond the ability of the most powerful mages around, but she still only holds the rank of private, worries constantly about her pay being docked, and is treated like a stupid child by Dragons and Barrani that really ought to know better by now.
- Healing Hands: She's noted as having more healing mojo than the official healers in the employ of the Emperor. She uses this ability to help the midwives' guild with difficult births.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: She tried to murder Severn—again—because her Berserk Button was pressed. Catti, one of the foundlings, was kidnapped by the undead Barrani, and Severn walked into the foundling hall at just the wrong time...
- Person of Mass Destruction: Potentially.
Corporal Severn Handred
- Big Brother Instinct: To Kaylin.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Unfortunately, what he "had to do" was kill the two young girls that he and Kaylin had taken into their family. The alternative was risking that they'd be ritually murdered, very cruelly, to twist Kaylin and her powers into a weapon.
- The Stoic: Severn spends most of his time with a poker face that rarely breaks unless Kaylin is in danger, or doing something exasperating.