- Alliterative Name: Kagami Kusakabe.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She appears during Ikki's bout with Stella in the anime's first episode.
- Idiot Hair: She has a couple of hair strands sticking out from the top of her head.
- Intrepid Reporter: She is always seeking out stories and data about up-and-coming Blazers, to the point where she made the novels' stat sheets.
- She Knows Too Much: She's knocked out and tied up by Alice when she discovers the identities of all the Akatsuki members.
- Stealth Expert: She is heavily implied to be one, especially when she witnesses Ikki's non-tournament duel with Kuraudo without being noticed by anyone.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Was in literal tears just moments before Ikki slashed at him.
- Always Second Best: Due to his over-reliance on his Noble Art, he'll never amount to Ikki, a fact that Stella acknowledges to Shizuya. Both fall under Crippling Overspecialization, but Ikki uses his head to overcome his weaknesses while Shizuya shuts down the moment his invisibility fails him.
- Antagonist Abilities: Invisibility, Stealth Expert, and Long-Range Fighter, which is a perfect counter to Ikki's pure melee swordsmanship.
- Archer Archetype: Shizuya fits the bill, but is an antagonist rather than an ally.
- The Bully: Towards Ikki, especially during the 1st year when the school staff let him get off scot-free.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: He was initially a crowd-favorite and everyone knows that he cheats, especially Ikki.
- Chick Magnet: Until the ending of his duel with Ikki.
- Crippling Overspecialization: While "Area Invisiblity" and the use of his weapon, Oborotsuki, gives him a advantage against opponents like Ikki. Kirihara can be located if the opponent either uses wide area attacks or are keen enough to sense his position. As a long-range fighter, he is also helpless against those who specializes in close-range attacks.
- Cruel Mercy: Downplayed in that the teachers probably would have healed him regardless if he was dealt a fatal injury, but Ikki chooses not to injure him at all with his winning blow, instead just barely grazing his nose to make him faint from horror in front of the school. This ends up humiliating Kirihara more than if he actually did receive an injury.
- Dirty Coward: Acts brave and "heroic" while he has the absolute advantage, and sadistically brutalized Ikki. However, the moment Ikki could fight back and actually had a chance of beating him, he breaks down and begs for mercy.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He appears during the first episode of the anime watching the battle between Ikki and Stella.
- Evil Redhead: He has red hair and he isn't the nicest person.
- Faux Affably Evil: Kirihara tries to be this trope, but he lacks the self-control to feign kindness for long periods of time. He claims he's a Friendly Rival to Ikki, but he can't keep up the facade for more than a few sentences before insulting his supposed "friend."
- Fatal Flaw: His overconfidence causes him to lose his duel with Ikki.
- Green Thumb: The anime gives him the ability to summon a forest, which gives him more vantage points.
- Hate Sink: His constant humiliation and violence towards Ikki are supposed to make Stella and the readers/viewers cheer for the protagonist when he finally wins.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His Noble Art against Ikki and creating a stir in their duel by having the audience chanting Ikki's nickname ends up causing Stella's inevitable Anguished Declaration of Love. Ikki uses this as his Heroic Second Wind to finally defeat Kirihara and crush his overconfidence.
- Hypocrite: He mocks Ikki for forfeiting against him last year, though he did the same against an opponent in the Sword Art festival. He also calls Ikki a coward for being "afraid" of fighting him but is soon begging for mercy as the latter was able to counter against all of his arrows.
- Invisibility: His overall Blazer ability; especially his Noble Art, Area Invisibility, grants this not only to Kirihara but also to his arrows as well.
- Jerkass: Not only is he a jerk to Ikki, but he also tries to slander Stella by claiming her match with Ikki was fixed. It's clear that Stella doesn't like Kirihara personally when she first meets him.
- Karma Houdini Warranty: Despite beating up Ikki to the point that he got sent to the hospital and sent to detention, Kirihara manages to get off scot-free. Karma does eventually catch up to him when Ikki finally defeats him at the end of volume 1.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He delivers an epic Curb-Stomp Battle towards Kirihara at the end of volume 1.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Kirihara's loss to Ikki at the end of volume 1 as it revealed to everyone his true cowardly nature, which also cost him his Girl Posse.
- Logical Weakness: While "Area Invisibility" gives Kirihara an advantage in stealth, it doesn't protect him from attacks, especially ones that affect the area.
- Long-Range Fighter: Kirihara's fighting style is mainly composed of being completely invisible to his opponents, and shooting them with magic arrows from any direction.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: The Hunter is a very scary name.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: His mockery of Ikki for being "The Worst One" during their duel ends up causing Stella's Shut Up, Hannibal! and Ikki's Heroic Second Wind.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Delivers one to Ikki, in front of a room full of teachers when the latter was forbidden from fighting back, for fear of expulsion. The teachers in question gave him detention for putting Ikki in the hospital.
- Oh, Crap!: When Ikki has his Heroic Second Wind and gains the upper hand against him.
- Psycho for Hire: Downplayed in that he's not an assassin, but he was actually hired by the Kurogane clan to obstruct Ikki. Given his attitude, it's unlikely that he needed anyone to tell him to torment Ikki anyways.
- Rain of Arrows: His "Million Rain" attack causes one arrow to explode into many.
- Red Right Hand: A meta example. While all of the character stat sheets show a complete illustration of those it presents, Kirihara's is the only one that presents him as a crude sketch, which is obvious that he's not a good person.
- Slasher Smile: Gives a disturbing one as he continues to torment Ikki in their battle.
- Smug Snake: He gets extremely cocky around Ikki, having qualified as a Hagun Academy representative for the Seven Star Sword Art Festival the previous year, and claiming Ikki ran away from him during a fight. Ikki later clarifies to Stella that he simply chose not to fight back. Doing so would have given the previous director an excuse to expel him, due to pressure from his family not wanting him to be there at all.
- Starter Villain: He is the first villain Ikki encounters in Volume 1 as well as the series in general.
- Stealth Expert: What makes Kirihara so terrifying is his Blazer ability to become invisible to the point where he doesn't make a sound unless he talks, any disturbances in the air, or even vibrations on the ground; and with the fact that he uses a bow to shoot opponents from a distance makes him the strongest student in his first year.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Downplayed. While Kirihara does have a certain degree of skill in archery to use Oborotsuki, he mostly relies on the flawless camouflage of his Noble Art to beat his opponents.
- Villainous Breakdown: He completely breaks down after Ikki gains the advantage.
- Villains Want Mercy: The moment Ikki saw through him, and by extension his techniques, he wastes no time begging for mercy. In fact, he outright screams for Ikki not to harm him, to the disgust of his Girl Posse.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He sets the pace for foes that have an overwhelming advantage against Ikki's pure melee style, to the point where he fared better than the Sword Eater himself.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He seemingly disappeared from the narrative after Volume 1, but was mentioned in Volume 2.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: While he does shoot Ikki, he purposefully avoids finishing shots in order to drag out Ikki's suffering, which screws him over once Ikki regains his composure.
Device: Mach Grid
Nickname: Runner's High
- Ambiguously Brown: She has a tan complexion, but lives in Japan.
- Bokukko: Uses the pronoun "Boku" when addressing herself.
- Boyish Short Hair: Has short spiky hair to go with her tomboyish personality
- Super Speed: Accumulates speed by taking steps, including hops.
- Passionate Sports Girl: She loves sports.
- Adorkable: Stiff and formal personality aside, she is just awkward and vulnerable as the tyical teenage girl when it comes to matters of love.
- Alliterative Name: Ayase Ayatsuji
- Badass Adorable: While a coldly beautiful and skilled warrior, her sadness and vulnerability concerning the loss of her father's dojo and childhood home really makes one want to hold and protect her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While she's certainly kind and Adorkable, her constant failure to beat Kuraudo causes her to resort to cheating against Ikki.
- Boobs of Steel: Like Stella, Ayase is stacked and the heiress to her father's dojo.
- Bokukko: She uses the gentle-masculine Japanese pronoun of "Boku" as opposed to the feminine of "Watashi" or "Atashi" to refer to herself. Justified in that as the only child of a traditional martial artist and the Heir to the Dojo, her father raised her as if he wanted a son rather than a traditional daughter.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: She sets up a rather intricate minefield with her Noble Art and forces Ikki to exhaust Ittou Shura before the match starts. Despite this, she ends up losing not because her cheating got exposed but because her guilt distracts her from fighting properly.
- Counter Attack: Her sword technique is based on this.
- Cry Cute: Good grief, she needs a hug badly, especially after she cries adorable Tears of Relief after Ikki saves her father's dojo.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In the anime's first episode, Ayase watches Ikki's bout with Stella.
- Establishing Character Moment: She stalks Ikki by hiding under trees and when she is discovered, Ayase gets shocked and runs away but trips and falls into a pond.
- Foil: She's a lower-ranked knight with a famous sword style who has suffered hardship and defeat just like Ikki. However, while Ikki continues to maintain his optimism and determination, Ayase eventually resorts to cheating in order to try and win. Also unlike Ikki, she's very close to her father which is a contrast to the chilly relationship in Ikki's family.
- Heiress To The Dojo: Unfortunately, she has to get the dojo back.
- Karma Houdini Warranty: Ikki asks Oreki to decline to punish her for her cheating, but Ayase reports herself anyway.
- Oh, Crap!: She is surprised when Ikki and his friends discover her hiding under the trees.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her bangs seem to almost completely cover her right eye.
- Razor Wind: She can use her ability to cause a delayed version of this.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Towards Kuraudo for putting her father in a coma.
- She's Got Legs: Made prominent as Ikki corrects her sword stance to better fit her father's sword technique for the female body.
- Shipper on Deck: She fully supports Ikki and Stella's relationship, and provides Stella with much-needed advice and assistance.
- Shrinking Violet: Seems to be one at first, shown when she was too nervous to approach Ikki. Quickly becomes subverted.
- Stalker Without a Crush: She stalks Ikki because she wants to get tips for her sword technique. Though her father states that she did develop a crush, she's already stopped stalking him by then.
The Student Council President of Hagun Academy. This bespectacled young woman is among one of the strongest Blazers of her generation at Hagun Academy.
- The Ace: She was one of the previous Hagun representatives to the Seven Stars Sword Art Festival and is the strongest one in the school until her match with Ikki.
- Adorkable Hard to believe the greatest warrior in school is an easily flustered big sister who is prone to hilarious accidents, isn't it?
- Accent Relapse: When she gets angry at the student council members for goofing off, she switches to her accent.
- Alliterative Name: Touka Toudou
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She's the Student Council President and Hagun's strongest fighter.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: She can see electrical brain signals to predict her opponent's actions.
- Badass Adorable: A sweet, cuddly, kind and cheerful big-sister who cares for and looks after her juniors like a loving mother who also happens to be a walking abbatoir that can carve through armies like a hot knife through butter.
- Benevolent Boss: Being student council president doesn't prevent Toka from being very down to earth, respectful, humble, and kind to everyone.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A sweet, loving and kind-hearted mother to orphaned children, and irrefutably the deadliest and most feared warrior of her generation.
- Blind Without 'Em: Has poor eyesight without her glasses.
- Boobs of Steel: Befitting her status as the most powerful female-warrior of Third Year, Toka's breasts are as stacked as she is powerful.
- Childhood Friends: She sort of grew up with fellow student council members Kanata and Utakata
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her non-combat appearance involves tripping while carrying a huge stack of papers.
- Determinator: She has a very strong motivation to win than most people, including Ikki, since she is fighting for her orphanage.
- Disability Superpower: Downplayed. She isn't exactly blind but her Reverse Sight activates because of her poor eyesight after taking off her glasses.
- Everyone Has Standards: She detests being used as an Unwitting Pawn in turning against Ikki.
- Flash Step: She also uses the same trackless step as Nene. Since they both trained under the same master.
- Friendly Rival: With Ikki and Stella in the selection tournament.
- Friend to All Children: She's a hero to her orphanage and fights for their happiness.
- The Glasses Come Off: She takes off her glasses whenever she gets serious.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Her signature technique, Raikiri, uses magnetism to boost the power and speed of her draw. It's so powerful to the point that the previous Seven Stars champion didn't want to be hit by it.
- Idiot Hair: She has a cowlick standing atop her head.
- The Klutz: Outside of battle, she's very clumsy.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: She can use it to enhance her muscles, read her opponent's brains, and enhance her iaijutsu.
- Ms. Fanservice: Essentially the third-year equivalent of Stella when it comes to "embarrassingly comedic situations" and adorably-sexy official art.
- Nice Girl: Toka is a kind-hearted girl who was inspired by her late parents' upbringing to gain power so that she can be a strong and loving mother to orphans and children who are born less fortunate than she was.
- Power Incontinence: She can't touch electronic devices due to her high bioelectricity content which will short-circuit them
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Very much so. Shown in her detest of being an unwitting pawn in the scheme against Ikki.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Her match against Ikki is decided in a single strike, and she loses. She has no hard feelings about it.
- Shadow Archetype: To Ikki; both are kind-hearted and the finest warriors of their respective genders, yet whereas Ikki's kindness stems from the sadness of abuse by cruel and still living parents, Toka's kindness comes from the warm and loving upbringing of her late-parents.
- Shock and Awe: Her element, which she's very versatile in use, allowing her to be a menace at all ranges.
- Student Council President: She serves as the leader of Hagun Academy's student council.
- Unwitting Pawn: In volume 3, she discovers that she's being used by the Ethics Committee in an effort to discredit Ikki. Fortunately, the scheme is exposed shortly after their duel.
- Worthy Opponent: With Ikki, which is why she's uncomfortable with being used as an Unwitting Pawn in the Ethics Committee's scheme against him.
Nickname: Scharlach Frau
- Arranged Marriage: Kanata reveals to Ikki in Volume 0 that she is in an arranged marriage, and after her final year at school she'll be wed and likely have to move to her betrothed's home country.
- Taking this into account, her hilariously awkward questions about kissing and the like become Harsher in Hindsight, as Kanata hasn't even learned the name of the guy she's going to marry, much less fallen in love with him. She probably hoped that by asking Ikki (who's in a strong, healthy and loving relationship) rather detailed questions about his bond with Stella, she could somewhat experience what it means to be in love with someone.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Her Noble Art allows her to use shards of her sword to damage her opponent from the inside.
- Eye-Obscuring Hat: Her eyes are always obscured by her hat.
- The Gadfly: Despite being raised as a proper lady, she loves to have fun and mess with people whenever she can.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and has a friendly personality.
- Hidden Depths: On the surface, Kanata seems like a standard Lady of War: polite, proper, kicking ass when need be, and not much else. What most people don't know is that she's also a fun-loving prankster who's eager to know what it means to be in love and doesn't quite know how kissing works.
- Ojou: Kanata was born into a wealthy and influential family, and is expected to take part in ensuring its continued success. Part of the reason she isn't as bitter as she ought to be about her Arranged Marriage is that she knows that her family does a lot to help the people of Japan, and this is her way of contributing to their efforts.
- The Prankster: She admits to Ikki that she enjoys pranking other people for fun, and often went along with Utatkata's schemes when they were younger.