The character page for the cast of Catch Your Breath.
If you want to head back to the main page, click the above link.
This page is currently under construction, with unmarked spoilers.
Keisuke "Kei" Gekko
The main character of the story. As the victim of a reincarnation gone wrong, Kei fumbles her way through the plot of the Naruto plotline and tries to make things better along the way. Older sister of Hayate Gekko.
- Badass Teacher: She becomes Aiko, Roku, and Kaito's jonin-sensei.
- Big Sister Instinct: This is Kei's starting motivation. While it's evolved over time and Kei's learned to extend her protective nature over more people as the story goes on, she's still prone to panic and rage if something happens to her brother.
- Bifauxnen: A Running Gag is people mistaking her for a boy at first glance. She doesn't seem to mind.
- Blow You A Way: Kei eventually learns this nature transformation, but it's definitely far weaker than her original one.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: Joins the Hokage Guard at age fourteen alongside Obito, Kakashi, Raido, and Genma.
- Bokukko: Turns out that Kei uses male personal pronouns, which exacerbate her problems with being mistaken for a boy.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kei can manage some pretty good digs on the occasions she actually says them aloud.
- First-Person Smartass: Kei specializes in making snappy remarks about the people and events around her as she goes through the story.
- Game-Breaking Injury: As a result of having to make a Sadistic Choice between hurting herself horribly or being a potential Orochimaru Soul Jar.
- Good Is Not Soft: If Kei ends up with combat with an avowed enemy, she doesn't talk to them, listen to them, or show much mercy. The bandit who made the mistake of taunting her about Hayate's safety during one arc had a continuing lifespan measured in seconds.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Kei's early shinobi career lists her as a kenjutsu specialist, though she has other minor knacks for iryo-nin work and making paper bombs. While her focus wavers on the other two aspects, Kei never lets go of her roots because it's what her mother taught her.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: A major part of the Gekko (actually Uesugi) kenjutsu style.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Kei has killed older, more experienced shinobi with her plain old katana. Part of it is because she's capable of channeling chakra through her weapons, but she's also just that good. She's been training her whole life with a sword, and it shows.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Kei has been known to berate herself for being lazy, selfish, or useless, though it quickly becomes apparent that she has nasty self-esteem issues. This ultimately comes to a head in the Memory arc, when Minato's mistakes coupled with her issues leave Kei dangerously isolated and badly traumatized.
- In-Series Nickname: Luffy, being who he is, calls Kei "Hei" through most of their offhand interactions in Ocean Stars Falling.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: A very, very powerful one once she's in her mid-twenties. Kei has multiple skill sets in which she's "pretty good," with the only true standout being kenjutsu. Even then, her style's succession technique never made it to her. She's not the fastest, the strongest, smartest, the best at any ninja skill, or the best at hand seals. Heck, she's even one of the weakest full-grown jinchuriki (bar Yugito) due to a Game-Breaking Injury in her teens. However, Kei is good enough at everything to have options to fall back on if her initial tactics don't work.
- Like Brother and Sister: Obito is like a brother to her.
- Making a Splash: Kei's chakra nature, though she doesn't learn any water techniques for a while.
- Master of Illusion: Averted, because while Kei can use genjutsu in theory, she never does so without Isobu picking up the bulk of the workload. Jiraiya even points out once that Kei didn't even know how to use one of the most basic genjutsu until he specifically taught her how. Kei later decides into combine her genjutsu with her sealing techniques so she can prepare everything ahead of time and not have to think about it in the middle of combat.
- The Medic: Barely. Kei is Incompletely Trained in both medicine and medical ninjutsu, though she served as Rin's study partner and guinea pig for a while. She is eventually forced to give it up entirely after she becomes a jinchuriki.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: At the beginning of the story, Kei doesn't have any particular interest in fighting for the good of Konoha. Instead, she begins the process of becoming a ninja for the explicit purpose of protecting her younger brother and her friends. Notably, she never truly leaves this mindset, instead choosing to expand the ring of people she cares for one person at a time.
- Oblivious to Love: Utterly fails to recognize romantic interest from peers, at least when directed at her. She did notice Obito's attraction to Rin and Rin's interest in Kakashi, but it's likely as much a result of canon-influenced confirmation bias as anything.
- Official Couple: With Kakashi.
- Red Baron: Kei eventually earns the moniker "Tidal Blade" over the course of the story. Other jinchuriki in Ocean Stars Falling and its related side-stories make it clear that Kei's reputation is a fair bit more fearsome than she actually is.
- Small Steps Hero: Aside from derailing the October Tenth event, Kei tends to act only where she can to challenge the Plot. Regardless, these changes have massive consequences, for good or ill.
- The Snark Knight: Kei is prone to sarcastic asides to herelf and to Isobu, but always makes sure to acknowledge her own foibles.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Isobu.
An eager young Uchiha clan member with a lot of baggage underneath his cheerful, clumsy demeanor. Kei often refers to him as her best guy friend.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Turns out to have been a victim of this throughout his childhood, because he's a direct descendant of Madara Uchiha.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Obito often seems like a complete goofball, and prefers not to be serious outside of fights. Even in them, he's been known to keep comically overreacting to events. But he is definitely more dangerous than he seems.
- FaceHeel Turn: Averted thanks to good timing and the butterfly effect.
- The Heart: During the period where he's presumed KIA, the remainder of Team Minato basically shuts down. Later on, he also shows a penchant for peacemaking, including forging an uneasy truce between Kakashi and Isobu. Obito may be as subtle as a sledgehammer, but his method works.
- Nice Guy: Obito is one of the kindest characters in the story, for all that he has a quick temper and is occasionally thoughtless.
- Not His Sled: Obito's fall into madness and villainy by Madara's scheming is one of the key plot points of Naruto canon. That he does not is perhaps Kei's single greatest victory.
- Official Couple: With Rin.
- Parental Abandonment: Kei mentions the apparent incongruity of Obito being an orphan while also being an openly acknowledged member of the Uchiha clan. See All of the Other Reindeer above for details.
- Playing with Fire: His chakra nature, and his clan's specialty.
- Sad Clown: In some ways, Obito isn't nearly as cheerful as his enthusiasm and excitable nature suggest. He still deals with self-worth issues and the aftereffects of the Stockholm Syndrome inflicted on him by Madara, even a year later.
- Thinking Up Portals: His main, and mostly unique, power. Gained from the trauma of seeing his foster mother killed in front of him.
- Took a Level in Badass: After coming back to Team Minato, it becomes apparent that Obito has definitely taken advantage of the modifications Madara slapped onto him.
Rin NoharaA bright young medic-nin with a kind heart and a hidden morbid side, Rin is the first female friend Kei makes over the course of the story. Although she is not an actual member of Team Minato, she is treated as one.
- Bi the Way: Rin is attracted to Kei, but maintains her attraction to Kakashi and Obito at the same time. Eventually, two of those crushes fade.
- Combat Medic: Rin, while not being a student of the Tsunade school of combat, is an deft hand with chakra scalpels on the occasions she has to be. She later devotes herself to becoming a specialist in both poison treatments and Uchiha eye overuse, among others. And she later makes up the difference between her strength and Tsunade's by obtaining Super Strength.
- Demoted to Extra: Averted. Rin continues to appear in nearly every arc after her initial team assignment, offering guidance and medical treatment to her friends. Her presence is nearly critical to the good guys winning in the Commencement Arc.
- Happily Adopted: Rin is, at the age of fourteen, formally adopted by her medic-nin teacher Akihito Yamaguchi.
- Nice Girl: Rin is consistently one of the more compassionate and considerate characters, and rarely acts out of anger or malice.
- Oblivious to Love: Had no idea that Obito was in love with her, per canon, only to find out when Kei and Kakashi carry his confession home from Kannabi. Rin breaks down in tears. A good long while after Obito comes back, the two of them start dating.
- Official Couple: With Obito.
- Parental Abandonment: Rin starts the story as an orphan, with no information given about her parents. She is later adopted by her teacher, Akihito Yamaguchi.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Rin can and will show off her core of iron in defense of her loved ones, but otherwise is exactly as mild-mannered and sweet as she appears to be. She later masters a version of the White Strength Seal and obtains Super Strength.
- Took a Level in Badass: Eventually, Rin becomes frustrated with her lack of combat prowess and elects to make up the difference by through training and obtaining a summoning contract. And eventually, she is the one to kill Sasori after fighting in tandem with Kei and her scorpion summon partners.
Kakashi HatakeReferred to as Team Minato's mini-jonin, Kakashi is the long-established student of Minato Namikaze and rarely seems to lack for a smart remark or insult toward those he doesn't respect.
- Broken Ace: Immensely talented, clever, and badly traumatized by his father's death. And then there's the guilt over both the Kannabi mission and the one where Kei became the host of the Three-Tailed Beast.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kakashi's attraction to Kei has reached Everyone Can See It levels of obvious to everyone but her, but he can't seem to make it plain to her. As of chapter 115, he's finally managed to get his feelings across to her...while high on pain meds, and just after she figured it out for herself.
- Child Prodigy: Kakashi graduated from the Academy at age five, was promoted at six, and became a jonin by thirteen. Even with Lowered Recruiting Standards, it's viewed in-universe as a sign of an insane amount of skill.
- Cute Little Fangs: His mother was an Inuzuka, so he inherited those.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Heavier on the "jerk" part at first, to the point that Kei's initial impression of him can be summed up as "he's a pint-sized jackass."
- Official Couple: With Kei.
- Parental Abandonment: His father was the White Fang of Konoha, who commits suicide as a result of a horribly botched mission. His mother died before then, on a mission outside of the village.
- Pretty Boy: When he ditches his mask, to Obito's great dismay.
- Pungeon Master: He discovers a lame joke book in one of the later chapters, and proceeds to mercilessly troll Obito with it. Later, he comes up with original ones.
- Shock and Awe: Kakashi's chakra nature, which gives eventual rise to the Chidori and Raikiri. And a nonlethal stunning effect called the Stunning Flash, as well as a transportation jutsu referred to as the Arc Jump.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While Kakashi can still be rather abrasive, he becomes kinder and more empathetic after Obito comes back. Mostly.
Minato NamikazeFuture Fourth Hokage and father to Naruto Uzumaki, Minato is the leader of the eponymous team and acts as both mentor and commanding officer to his students.
- The Ace: In combat, Minato has few relative peers and even fewer true equals. He's also friendly, dorky, and viewed as a paragon by most of the village.
- Badass Teacher: As the Yellow Flash and jonin-sensei to Team Minato, the man qualifies.
- Bishōnen: Minato often takes advantage of his pretty face to make others underestimate him, which succeeds surprisingly often given his reputation.
- Blow You Away: His chakra nature.
- Broken Pedestal: In the immediate wake of the Memory Arc, it becomes clear that he's become this for Kakashi. They later hash things out and he becomes a Rebuilt Pedestal to Kei and Kakashi later on.
- The Dreaded: There are very few people willing to fight him on the battlefield once they realize who they're dealing with.
- Giver of Lame Names: And was banned from naming his children.
- Good Is Not Soft: For all that he's a very kind person, Minato has the largest kill-count in the entire story and has never been afraid to throw down with truly abhorrent enemies.
- Lightning Bruiser: Minato is by far the fastest character in the story, and his powerful A- and S-rank jutsu make him a formidable opponent even to the rare few who think they can keep up.
- Pen-Pushing President: Can claim alongside his more fearsome monikers the title of "paperwork ninja"—he's notable for being one of the few ninja to tolerate or even enjoy doing the vast amounts of paperwork involved with running the village.
Miyako Gekko/Tomoe UesugiKei and Hayate's mother. A woman with a mysterious past, at least as far as her children are concerned. Retired special jonin.
- Action Mom: Miyako proves she's still got it during the Commencement Arc.
- Arranged Marriage: Back when the Uesugi clan still existed she was arranged to marry a member of a rival clan.
- Broken Bird: Her general state of being during her late teens and early twenties. She gets better after the events of her side-story with the help of her future husband, Wataru Gekko.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Miyako shows repeated signs of totally unexplained backstory, like combat skills that don't match anything in Konoha, a potent Death Glare, and Killing Intent that is out of proportion to her power. The truth finally comes out after her death in the Commencement Arc.
- Death Glare: Miyako pulls this off well enough to throw Minato and Jiraiya off their game when tapping into the memories of her life as Tomoe Uesugi.
- Expy: Miyako is a clear nod to Tomoe Yukishiro, from her physical description to scraps of her personal history. Her combat style is drawn from Kenshin himself.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Uses what Kei refers to as "Gekko-style Leaf Kenjutsu," which is heavily dependent on quick-draw techniques.
- Ice Queen: Her primary characterization during her side-story. She rarely embellishes her narration and seems to react with dutiful silence to most of the events therein.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How Spiral Zetsu killed her.
- Parental Substitute: To Obito, who returned the sentiment. And as a result, her death traumatized him badly enough to activate his Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Red Baron: Miyako was once the feared Ghoul of Three Wolves, a serial killer who stalked the Land of Iron and sought revenge on those who killed her family.
- Retired Badass: Despite being only thirty-eight. It's eventually revealed that Miyako was forced to retire due to accumulated stress injuries from her most powerful techniques.
- Sole Survivor
Hayate GekkoKei's younger brother. Identified off the bat as the future special jonin in charge of the third phase of the Chunin Exams. Kei's primary motivation is keeping him safe.
- The Apprentice: Hayate learns the tricks of the shinobi trade from three different teachers: his mother, Kei, and Kakashi. He also has a formal mentor in the form of Inoichi Yamanaka, his genin team's leader.
- Brandishment Bluff: Hayate clearly learned something from Kei's previous experiences with the Chunin Exams, and demonstrates this by faking out his first tournament opponent with essentially-harmless versions of deadly explosive tags, convincing her to surrender.
- Big Sister Worship: Early on, it's established that Kei can do little wrong in her brother's eyes.
- Kid Samurai: Hayate's approximate characterization and skill level for much of the story.
- Protectorate: For Kei.
- The Rival: To Tenzo, out of sheer competitiveness.
- Shipper on Deck: Seems to think that Kei and Obito are dating, despite their assertions to the contrary. The bubble gets busted in chapter 96, but he takes it in stride.
- Shock and Awe: His chakra nature, though he hasn't done much with it.
Wataru GekkoKei and Hayate's father, who died when they were young.
- Abusive Parents: What little is known about his childhood suggest he was a victim of verbal and physical abuse.
- Adorkable: Had a tendency to immediately voice his passing thoughts, including a tangled love confession that resulted in him gushing over a katana.
- Love at First Sight: He fell for Miyako the moment he saw her.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Was a chunin with a penchant for explosives, which was the only type of fuinjutsu he knew.
Kushina UzumakiHost of the Nine-Tailed Fox. A proud special jonin of Konoha who hails from the Uzumaki clan, and probably the single most powerful character in the first half of the story.
- Action Mom: Starting from the very moment Naruto is born.
- Right after giving birth to Naruto, she proceeds to stomp to the Barrier/Sensor Squad and stage a non-hostile takeover.
- When she and Tsunade proceed to obliterate Danzo while Minato and the gang are in Suna. Kushina held Danzo down for Tsunade's finishing blow, and Yin Kurama even praised her ferocity.
- Right at the end of Chapter 99 Kushina is the first person sent directly from Konoha to help Kei fight Orochimaru, powering right up to six tails before she even leaves Kamui.
- In Ocean Stars Falling, Kushina joins the Red Hair Pirates alongside Killer B to get around the New World, meaning she's on one of the Four Emperors' crews.
- Chain Pain: Kushina's Adamantine Chakra Sealing Chains are the single strongest barrier jutsu in the story, and can be used on offense as well as defense. And they get a power-up with Kurama's chakra.
- Genius Ditz: Kushina is a cheerful, optimistic woman with a noted silly streak. She is one of the best fuinjutsu users on the entire continent (saying that she forgot more about fuuinjutsu than most people will ever learn), barring her husband and his teacher in very specific areas. Despite this, she admits to being middling-to-poor when it comes to ninjutsu, which does not make her any less deadly.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Plays the Energetic Girl to Minato's Savvy Guy.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: Kushina is Kurama's original host in the story's timeline. Nowadays, she only hosts Yin Kurama.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Everyone treats Kushina's anger with extreme caution, whether they know about Kurama or not. And she later proves that she has the power necessary to back this up, by maintaining cognitive coherence and power in a six-tailed V2 cloak.
Naruto NamikazeThe son of Minato and Kushina, and Yang Kurama's host. During the events of Ocean Stars Falling, he joins the Revolutionaries.
- Alliterative Name: Naruto Namikaze.
- Keet: Naruto is hyperactive and cheerful.
- Magnetic Hero: Kei often says Naruto could make friends with anything. In Ocean Stars Falling, he befriends the Revolutionaries, the Straw Hat Pirates, and about anyone else who isn't instantly hostile to a smiling blond kid.
- The Nicknamer: Has a tendency to call other people by nicknames as he gets to know them better, primarily by shortening them. As such, he calls Yugito "Yugi" and Utakata "Uta" during Ocean Stars Falling.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He basically looks like a smaller version of his father with Kushina's bone structure, to the point that he's the only person half-Uzumaki by blood to not have red hair. He also has nearly the same personality as his mother.
Tatsumaki NamikazeDaughter of Minato and Kushina, younger sister to Naruto, and proud owner of a pair of whisker marks.
Akihito YamaguchiA chain-smoking Gekko family friend who taught Kei some medical ninjutsu. He takes Rin as an apprentice after flunking her genin team, and eventually makes her his heir.
- Expy: Pretty much confirmed to be Gregory House as a ninja.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's rude and abrasive, but he pretty much adopts Rin and makes her his heir.
- The Mentor: For Rin.
- Running Gag: A meta version, but the author and beta reader insist that they've been trying to kill this guy off since the Commencement Arc, but keep forgetting to do so. At this point, it looks like he's sticking around for the long haul.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: A signature part of his and Kei's interactions as she gets older.
Maito GaiThe Green Beast of Konoha and Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass par excellance, Gai is the go-to guy for Big Damn Heroes moments. Youngest member of Team Choza.
- Asexuality: Confirmed by Word of God to be the case.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Gai doesn't use any weapons when he fights.
- Big Damn Heroes: Manages to pull this off four times in a single arc. And in doing so, he takes out Ganryu, breaks Yagura's back, kills two Oto-nin while rescuing Genma, and nearly manages to put a dent into Manda before he needs a rescue of his own.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Starting from the tender age of nine. And he has never looked back.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Of course.
- Large Ham: Undoubtedly.
- Nice Guy: Goes way out of his way to help people feel better and make certain those around him are doing well. The idea of abandoning a comrade for any reason is anathema to him.
- The Pollyanna
- The Rival: To Kakashi, but it quickly becomes obvious that the two of them are best friends as well.
Genma ShiranuiA wisecracking but level-headed young man who specializes in a slightly less murderous fuinjutsu specialty than Kei does. Oldest member of Team Choza.
- Ascended Extra: While not exactly a main character character, he's even more of a background ninja in canon.
- Badass Gay: Is exclusively attracted to men, is pretty badass when he wants to be, and is in a long-term, loving relationship with Raido.
- Barrier Warrior: Specializes in creating barrier seals for field operation security purposes.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Gai early on, though the younger shinobi has long since outstripped him in terms of power.
- Deadpan Snarker: Genma has a smart remark for all occasions.
- Distressed Dude: Gets sidelined in two arcs due to life-threatening injuries. The second is at the hands of Orochimaru, and results in an actual rescue mission.
- Fatal Flaw: He tends not to take things seriously. Which nearly gets him killed when he runs into Orochimaru during the Memory Arc.
- Geometric Magic: Fuinjutsu is something he studies and uses in combat. He's not nearly as quick on the draw as Kei is, preferring his senbon needles on the whole.
- Oral Fixation: Has a senbon in his mouth and, on one occasion, complains when he doesn't.
Raido NamiashiAn ANBU agent with a kenjutsu specialty and a lot of field experience, who tries his best to take the events of the story in stride.
- Ascended Extra: Is now a full supporting character, rather than a background prop.
- Bi the Way: Raido is bisexual, which is first explained in a side-story. It's also clarified that he's not really interested in women romantically.
- The Captain: Raido is promoted to ANBU captain of his own squad over the course of the story.
- Not So Stoic: Has a few moments, mostly verging into Gibberish of Love and related to his relationship with Genma.
- Only Sane Man: Feels like this rather often, particularly with regard to what the members of Team Minato get up to.
- Relationship Reveal: With Genma.
- Stealth Expert: With a heaping helping of camouflage genjutsu, flexibility, and patience.
Fuse and Yatsu InuzukaA married couple who first appeared during the Hokage Guard initiation mission. They own the apartment building Kakashi lives in.
- Expy: Yatsu is confirmed to be based on the Head Priest of the Gale Shrine in Ōkami, while Fuse is based on Fuse-hime from the same game, down to the number and variety of dogs they have.
- Everyone Went to School Together: As revealed in flashbacks, Yatsu and Fuse knew both Kei's and Kakashi's parents and went on at least one mission with them.
- Eye Scream: Yatsu was a branch member of the Hyuga Clan who was a victim of bloodline theft.
- Happily Married
- Retired Badass: Once the new Hokage Guard is formed, Fuse officially retires from duty to go back to managing her apartment complex with Yatsu.
- Upper-Class Twit: Yatsu pretends to be one for the sake of giving the Escort Mission a client. However, he was actually a member of the Branch House in his younger years, meaning the has more of a servant's skill array than a noble's.
- Badass Teacher: Itachi decides to become a chunin sensei at the Academy after doing a stint in ANBU.
- Demoted to Extra: While they're still important politically and a few Uchiha are major and minor characters, Kei's distaste for clan politics mean they definitely lack canon's spotlight.
- Off with His Head!: Honoka's head was cut off by Root agents.
Nagato UzumakiOnly known holder of the Rinnegan, a long-lost Uzumaki clan member re-adopted as Kushina's brother, and basically heading up the Uzumaki clan in Amegakure.
- Adorkable: He's surprisingly awkward for a Person of Mass Destruction.
- Gravity Master: Uses the Deva Path's push-pull ability to launch the dormant Ten-Tails into low earth orbit.
- Good Is Not Soft: Deals with threats to Amegakure with the full extent of his Rinnegan powers.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Triang Relations: Type 8 with Konan and Yahiko.
YahikoLeader of Akatsuki and Amegakure, though he doesn't make as many appearances as his compatriots do.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Uses a katana in combat, which he may have taken off the ROOT agents originally ordered to kill him and the rest of Akatsuki.
- The Heart: Explicitly identified as such by Kei, who's seen one version of Akatsuki go downhill as a result of his death, though he may not be aware of it.
- Making a Splash: Uses Water nature transformation ninjutsu.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Jiraiya and Tsunade's intervention saved him from his canonical fate.
- Summon Magic: He got his hands on Hanzo's salamander contract and uses it for security purposes.
- Triang Relations: Type 8 with Konan and Nagato.
KonanThird member of the Akatsuki trio, and their public face to other countries more often than not.
- Action Mom: She has four children with Nagato and Yahiko by the time Naruto graduates from the Academy.
- Even the Girls Want Her: The first thing Kei thinks when she sees Konan in person is that she's extremely attractive.
- Flight: One of the very, very few people in-setting who can fly under her own power.
- Paper Master
- The Spymaster: Explicitly called Amegakure's head of intelligence.
- Stuff Blowing Up: As a direct consequence of her control over explosive seals. She is also the one who tried to destroy the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path with sheer explosives alone.
- Triang Relations: Type 8 with Nagato and Yahiko.
GaaraThe Fourth Kazekage's youngest child and Shukaku's host.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Still gets this treatment from Sunagakure, but has Kei and Naruto to soften the blow within canonical CYB. In Ocean Stars Falling, joins the Straw Hat Pirates and finds True Companions too.
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Red Baron: In Ocean Stars Falling, he joins the Straw Hat pirates and is known as "Red Sand" Gaara.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Far more taciturn than Naruto or the Straw Hat Pirates, he has this dynamic in particular with Fu and Luffy.
- True Companions: As a member of the Straw Hat Pirates, he's already included.
Mei TerumiThe Fourth Mizukage and current leader of Kirigakure.
- Lady of War: Helped organize the coup that put her in the Mizukage's robes.
- Pun: When Utakata refers to Mei being "hot," he's referring to both her bloodline limits and her attractiveness.
UtakataThe Third Mizukage's nephew and Saiken's host. In Ocean Stars Falling, he joins the Crimson Carnation Pirates and later earns the nickname "Carnation Prince" Utakata after the destruction of Impel Down.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Ostracized for both being a jinchuriki and being the Third Mizukage's nephew in the wake of the chaos in Kiri after the Rashomon Arc.
- Arranged Marriage: To Mei Terumi.
- Broken Pedestal: Has two in the form of his childhood mentor Harusame and his uncle Renge, the Third Mizukage.
- Defrosting Ice King: Over the course of Ocean Stars Falling, the other characters (especially Naruto) manage to gently wear him down and get him to participate in their games. The first sign of this is his brief flash of sympathy when he realizes Naruto is one of the jinchuriki. Later, he even speaks civilly to Kei and willingly joins the mission to take on Impel Down.
- Making a Splash: Water nature transformations are his bag.
- Red Baron: "Carnation Prince."
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: When he was very young, he was an eager-to-please child absolutely devoted to his only remaining family, few friends, and mentor. That changed as he got older, due mainly to betrayals, deaths, and trauma.
Killer BGyuki's host and the Fourth Raikage's younger brother. In Ocean Stars Falling, he joins the Red Hair Pirates on a lark.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Incredibly competent shinobi, and probably the quirkiest of the native Naruto cast.
- Odd Friendship: With Kushina, given Kumogakure's history of attempted bloodline theft.
Yugito NiiMatatabi's host and C's cousin. In Ocean Stars Falling, she becomes known as "Cobalt Lioness" Yugito.
- All of the Other Reindeer: A victim of this treatment, much like the other jinchuriki.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: A bit, when her shinobi skills are questioned. She and Kei butt heads early on as a result.
- Enemy Mine: In OSF, she only joins Kei and Ace to get off the island and regain her strength. Fighting Blackbeard and rescuing Ace from Impel Down turns them into Fire-Forged Friends.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Kei, Ace, and Utakata (as a very distant third).
- In-Series Nickname: In addition to her title, Yugito's name is routinely shorted to "Yugi" by Naruto.
- Not So Above It All: In OSF, she plays Rock-Paper-Scissors with Luffy and Zorro to decide who gets to fight Minotaurus. And wins!
- Playing with Fire: Her primary nature transformation.
- Ship Tease: With Ace and occasionally Thatch.
- Shock and Awe: Her secondary nature transformation. Her word on the subject is, "I am not from the Land of Lightning for nothing."
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Most of them, when Sorayama is attacked by Otogakure.
- Dangerous Deserter: Rikuto, who faked his death in order to escape a seemingly endless conflict between Iwagakure and Sunagakure decades before the start of the story.
- Do Not Go Gentle
- Superpowerful Genetics: Sort of a running theme with them, and why they're targeted by Orochimaru.
- Barrier Maiden: Chinatsu, whose family seals make her a living stopper on Mount Soragami. She transferred the seals to her niece, Aiko, shortly before her death.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: Nanami, as a runaway from the Hozuki clan.
- An Ice Person: Shirozora, as a runaway member of the Yuki clan.
- Magma Man: Rikuto's kekkei genkai ability.
IsobuThe Three-Tailed Beast of the nine in total, Isobu appears to be a greenish-gray turtle-crab-shrimp that dwarfs most buildings.
- Adaptation Personality Change: Though Isobu gets very little screentime in Naruto, he comes across as a far more childlike character than he does in this story. The only explanation anyone can find is that Kei is a bad influence.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The main reason he hasn't tried to escape Kei's seal since the early days—Kei is the kindest host he's had.
- Big Brother Instinct: Feels this way toward the other Tailed Beasts, though they're all technically the same age.
- Blood Knight: Has some aspects of this, when fighting particularly challenging opponents like Minato or Orochimaru. His chakra can also make this attitude slightly contagious.
- Humans Are Bastards: Holds this view the first time he appears, and for good reason (see below).
- Go Mad from the Isolation: Reveals that this is the result of sealing a Tailed Beast into an inanimate object, and underwent this before being sealed into Kei. Any longer and the result might have been even worse.
- In-Series Nickname: Due to Luffy being...Luffy, Isobu picks up the nickname "Wasabi."
- Making a Splash: An elemental affinity that he and Kei both share.
- Master of Illusion: While most Tailed Beasts are known simply for overwhelming power, Isobu has some talent in casting and maintaining genjutsu.
- Me's a Crowd: In Ocean Stars Falling, Isobu can spit up miniature clones of himself from inside his stomach.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: He's quick to advocate murder and has difficulty with with more complicated solutions.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: Generally not happy about this state of affairs, despite liking Kei.
- Stomach of Holding: Though it's one of Isobu's less-used abilities prior to Ocean Stars Falling, it turns out he can safely swallow small ships to store them without a problem.
- Turtle Power: With the accompanying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles jokes.
- Vocal Dissonance: Isobu actually has a relatively high voice and speaks using "boku" as a personal pronoun, but can employ his cavernous insides to lower his pitch and increase volume at will. Kei, when using his chakra, gets the latter effect.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Forces the other characters to confront this issue time and again, because he is perfectly capable of acting to the betterment or detriment of whomever pisses him off. Don't assume that he doesn't have feelings just because he doesn't look like a human.
- You Didn't Ask: His attitude toward some of his more esoteric (but highly relevant) knowledge about the Ten-Tails and similar phenomena.
KuramaThe Nine-Tailed Fox, by far the most powerful of the Tailed Beasts and all too aware of it. Got split in two during the Commencement Arc. He and Naruto temporarily join the Revolutionaries during Ocean Stars Falling.
- Blow You Away: One of Kurama's two nature transformations.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: The Revolutionaries like Naruto well enough in Ocean Stars Falling, but are completely baffled and terrified by "Old Man Yang" who follows him around. This is only partially due to the suspicion that he could and would glass all of Baltigo if the whim struck him.
- The Dreaded: While a signature of Tailed Beast reputations, Yang Kurama invokes this harder than the others because he's the most aggressive half of the strongest known Tailed Beast. He doesn't need supernatural methods of causing fear as a result.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Yang Kurama with Naruto. Naruto affectionately calls him "Old Man Yang" when other characters are too terrified of him to speak, and Yang Kurama puts Naruto's safety on his priority list.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite his callous attitude and his tendency to pick on his siblings, Yang Kurama actually does care about them and about very specific humans.
- Literal Split Personality: Yin Kurama and Yang Kurama are this to each other, since neither mentions seniority and they were originally one being. Of the two, Yang Kurama is generally the jerk and Yin Kurama is generally the more mild-mannered one.
- Not So Above It All: Both halves of Kurama have terrible handwriting, which they're sensitive about. Yang Kurama, however, doesn't let that stop him from carving badly-spelled graffiti into things.
- Playing with Fire: His less-used nature transformation type.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: Yin Kurama is still sealed inside Kushina, while Yang Kurama once again went to Naruto. This time, Yang Kurama went willingly and later befriends Naruto.
ShukakuThe One-Tailed Beast, generally in the shape of a tanuki made from sand. In Ocean Stars Falling, he and Gaara join the Straw Hat Pirates in Loguetown (Gaara) and Alabasta (Shukaku, officially).
- Big Brother Instinct: Over Gaara, and exactly no one else.
- Blow You Away: For range, Shukaku likes launching devastating air bullets at his targets.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Really eager for a fight, and generally advocates getting in them as often as possible. He also refers to himself as "the great Shukaku" and has been known to burst into fits of laughter upon spotting a new opponent who doesn't know what they're dealing with.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Takes on the hazards of the Alabasta desert with such force that Kei barely makes a footnote of the encounters. Later, he's instrumental to the Straw Hats escaping Sabaody together, because he took on Admiral Kizaru, Sentomaru, and Bartholomew Kuma to turn the curbstomp into a delaying action.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Earth and Magnet Release jutsu are some of his favorite types.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Feels this way toward both Yin and Yang Kurama, but more the latter.
- In-Series Nickname: Because of Luffy's Malaproper tendencies, he is nicknamed "Shumai."
- Me's a Crowd: Can create sand clones that act nearly independently of him.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Unlike the other Tailed Beasts, he's more than just durable—he can be blown to pieces and still reassemble himself out of loose grains of sand and crushed rock. His first appearance started with him getting his head shot off and being pounded into paste, to zero lasting effect.
MatatabiThe Two-Tailed Cat, a poised and even-tempered being with a very long fuse. Joins Kei and Ace with Yugito during the hunt for Teach in Ocean Stars Falling.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Yugito, though more enforced by circumstances than because either of them were especially interested in collaborating. Being trapped on an island with only one other sapient being can lead to some relationship changes.
- In-Series Nickname: Due to Luffy's inability to get names right, she's nicknamed "Tabby" during Ocean Stars Falling.
- My Instincts Are Showing: Matatabi really, really dislikes water. It becomes a problem in Ocean Stars Falling when she and Yugito end up stuck on an island for months in the Grand Line.
- Mismatched Eyes: And by using her chakra, Yugito can get them too.
- Playing with Fire: Being a cat apparently made of fire, the only surprise here is that she can choose who she burns.
- Master of Illusion: One of two Tailed Beasts noted for genjutsu, she can put up a Somebody Else's Problem field in the middle of one of the most crowded archipelagos in the Grand Line and have people not notice the giant flaming cat.
- Team Mom: Acts as this toward Team Jinchuriki during Ocean Stars Falling, even Yang Kurama. Most of her concern is focused on Yugito, though.
SaikenThe Six-Tailed Slug, a powerful but immature Tailed Beast devoted to his family and to his host. Sensitive and silly in one. Joins up with two other jinchuriki-Tailed Beast partner pairs to form Team Jinchuriki during Ocean Stars Falling.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Be party to anyone or anything hurting Utakata, and Saiken will kill you.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Saiken has a childish mindset and often follows strange logic to get to the conclusions he wants. A disturbing number of said conclusions tend to involve murder.
- The Fool: More so than any other character, Saiken's cheer is partly a result of ignorance and partly a consequence of basically being invulnerable to anything the world he's in can throw at him. Even being hurled across the length of the Ryugu Kingdom by Vander Decken IX doesn't do more than cause momentary confusion, though his bulk hitting a building would have killed absolutely everyone inside.
- Keet: Immediately proves himself to be this.
- Making a Splash: Yet another Tailed Beast with control over water, which can take the form of "turning the ocean to slime" or "water cannons" as he wishes.
- Malaproper: Much like Luffy, he rarely bothers getting the formal names for anything or anyone correct.
- Protectorate: Extremely concerned about Utakata's safety.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: A signature of his thought processes. He immediately hits on the idea of killing Celestial Dragons to attract Admirals once he's told that the former exist, which is usually the deterrent used for most people to never attack the nobility in the first place. But it's all the same to a Tailed Beast.
- Vocal Dissonance: As noted by Kei when he first appears, Saiken has a squeaky voice that clashes harshly with his size and power, and doesn't so much roar as shriek.
- Wowing Cthulhu: Saiken is very easily impressed.