open/close all folders
- Alcoholic Parent: While he's not actually their father, the Jesters do look up to him despite his nasty drinking habits.
- The Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute."The Ringleader: Every minute? I can do better than that!
- Dastardly Whiplash: Albeit a much more colorful variant, though his alignment is still questionable.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": It's outright stated in his bio that no one knows if "The Ringleader" is some sort of alias or if his parents simply had high hopes on his career choice.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- High-Class Glass
- Mr. Vice Guy
- Nice Hat
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Bruce's red.
- Repulsive Ringmaster: It's hard to say if he is truly villainous, but he is definitely morally ambiguous.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Created by: PitaFish
- Bishie Sparkle: These appear whenever Bruce flaunts his physique.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Interspecies Romance: With Lady.
- Large Ham: One of the largest!
- Mr. Fanservice
- Pec Flex: Bruce does this quite often.
- Rated M for Manly
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to The Ringleader's blue.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Subverted. Bruce is both more manly and has a bigger heart than The Ringleader.
- Super Strength
- Team Dad
- World's Strongest Man: His occupation at Cartoonival.
Partie and Folie
- Created by: LilCoqui
- BrotherSister Team: Though not at all in the heroic sense.
- Cartoon Creature: Somewhat officially, the species of the jesters is a "sprite". Which is NOT a fairy.
- Chaotic Stupid
- The Dividual: Of the Twindividual variety.
- Floating Limbs: Their hands are detached from their body.
- Half-Identical Twins
- Happy Harlequin Hat
- Hyperspace Mallet: Their weapons of choice. Sometimes they also use a hammer so large it takes both of them to lift. They call it the Double Whammy.
- Insistent Terminology: The jesters mostly use it to start fights so they can have a loose justification for conflict.Havoc: The back of the box clearly calls them "Muddy Buddies"!Mayhem: Right, which is why EVERYONE calls them "Puppy Chow"!
- The Jester: Two of them, to be exact.
- Meaningful Name: They're not called "Havoc" and "Mayhem" for nothing!
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad
- The Trickster: They try to be, though their own stupidity sometimes lands them in the middle of their own pranks.
- Trickster Twins
Hilda von Bakkbraek
- Artistic License Medicine
- Comically Inept Healing
- Harmful Healing
- Meatgrinder Surgery: Somewhat subverted because Cartoonival is a mostly bloodless world. That doesn't make Hilda's procedures any less brutal.
- Non-Specifically Foreign: Hilda hails from some vaguely Teutonic/Slavic, post-Soviet Union satellite nation with pre-industrial technology which she refers to only as "Olde Country".
- Poirot Speak
- Stout Strength
- Worst Aid: Hilda can heal you, but you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Olde Country (She's not even Anglo!)
- You Get What You Pay For: Hilda is paid in sausages. Granted, they're the currency in Olde Country and she's probably the finest nurse Olde Country could provide, but that's not saying much.
Adelaide "Lady" Swann
- Created by: PitaFish
- Animate Inanimate Object: Crys
- Frozen Face: Chuckles' face never changes from a static Slasher Smile.
- Functional Addict: Noodles is an alcoholic, but a functional one. In fact, the fumes from his alcoholic breath act as a propellant when he does his firebreather act!
- Juggling Dangerously: Flapjack's act consists of juggling a variety of dangerous objects.
- Knife-Throwing Act: This is Chuckle's routine, although he doesn't limit himself to knives. Polearms, battle-axes, claymores...you can't criticize his lack of variety!
- Monster Clown: Chuckles
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: Hers, in this case. Most of the carnies have at least somewhat distinct acts, but the Sideburned Lady is not terribly out of the ordinary.
- Animals Hate Him: Carlos
- Becoming the Mask: Quonk got into the costume and the zipper got stuck. He's been in there so long he's forgotten who he was originally and has just accepted his identity as Cartoonival's patched-together mascot.Quonk: I'm trapped in a mascot costume. I haven't felt natural light on my skin in three years.Quonk: Oh, are we not-? I thought we were just voicing complaints so- yeah, I'll go.
- The Chew Toy: Carlos.
- The Engineer: Betsy, of "The Mechanic" variety.
- Eye-Obscuring Hat: Barney.
- Misery Builds Character: Andy is only at this job because "My dad wants me to work all summer, maaaaan".
- No Sense of Humor: Betsy didn't grow up watching cartoons and doesn't understand their sense of humor. The jesters know this and use it to push her buttons, both literally and figuratively.
- Only Sane Woman: Poor Betsy.
- Only Shop in Town: Penny runs the only concession stand in the Cartoonival. In an inverse, Andy has to run every single ticket station in the park.
- Perpetual Smiler: Penny
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Ella's little purple bowler, Boris' tutu, and Leonard's velvet bathrobe.
- Alliterative Name: Most of the animals, with a few exceptions.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: There's a purple gorilla, a pink elephant, a My Little Pony Expy, and a talking green goat, to name a few.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Nibbles. Of course she only acts evil when no one else is around.
- Bears Are Bad News: Boris
- Crazy Consumption: Gary the Green Goat will eat just about anything.
- Cue the Flying Pigs: Whenever anyone utters this old cliche, Priscilla appears out of nowhere to fulfill it.
- Gentle Giant: Ella. At least, until she gets spooked.
- Husky Russkie: Boris.
- Killer Gorilla: Gregory
- Killer Rabbit: Nibbles
- Species Surname: Most of the animals follow this format.
- Created by: EnfieldKitWon against Sira WestWon against SolemnWon against Foxy Foxy Foxy
- Baleful Polymorph: Was affected by a curse that turned her and her entire dad's side of the family into small, fluffy, harmless animals.
- Carnivore Confusion: Claire is a fox who has a rabbit for a pet/assistant.
- Hereditary Curse
- Loyal Animal Companion: Billy the bunny works as her assistant.
- Magicians Are Wizards: Was an aspiring Stage Magician until she discovered she has legitimate magic.
- Magic Wand: Of the stage magician variety.
- No Respect Guy: Is rarely ever taken seriously due to being a cute, fluffy fox.
- Pull a Rabbit out of My Hat: Often performs this trick with Billy.
- Created by: CassadillerWon against Blaze EliasWon against Barnaby BatWon against Lent G. Skellington
- Buffy Speak
- Cat Stereotype: Fits the Scottish Fold section to a T.
- Claustrophobia: Suffers from an extreme example of this; he will go into a blind rampage and attack anyone unfortunate enough to be in his vicinity.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Escaped from the Lab
- Keet: Is very enthusiastic about everything. Especially since he's never been to a carnival before.
- Mismatched Eyes: His right eye is cybernetic and acts as an infrared sensor.
- Mutants: Of the Mutate variety.
- The Nicknamer: He gives other characters nicknames in order to remember who they are until he can finally remember their actual name, usually based on a distinguishing feature or personality trait. Unfortunately, some characters can find these nicknames a tad offensive.
- Open the Iris: Often does this when expressing excitement or is merely captivated by something.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: M-Kitty is the smallest contestant, yet is capable of lifting just as much as the local strongman, if not more.
- Tron Lines: Has them on his metal patches.
- Wolverine Claws
Foxy Foxy Foxy
- Created by: MrPr1993Won against Dollar HatWon against The HungerLost to Claire
- '80s Hair
- Classy Cat-Burglar
- Cunning Like a Fox
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Is stated to have a dreadful singing voice. In Round 2, it shows.
- Distracted by the Sexy / Show Some Leg: Her go-to method for pulling off heists.
- Eye Glasses: Her glasses manage to obscure her eyes, but are rather expressive all the same.
- Femme Fatale
- Gag Boobs
- High Class Gloves: Her gloves and stockings match the color of a fox's paws.
- Lady in Red
- Repetitive Name
- Statuesque Stunner: 6 feet not counting her tail.
Lent G. Skellington
- Created by: ExplainerWon against AlucardWon against Inkman LouLost to M-Kitty
- Amnesiac Hero
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Dem Bones
- Immortal Immaturity: Despite being older than almost everyone at Cartoonival, Lent still cracks puns that would make even dads groan.
- Magic Wand: Wields a typical wand used in stage magic. It's just for show, though; the magic actually comes from his bones.
- Nice Guy: Lent is generally very upbeat and energetic, and thrives on making others happy. Just don't make him angry.
- Nice Hat
- Noodle People: Justified in that he's a skeleton.
- Past-Life Memories: These are starting to creep into Lent's rounds as the tournament goes on.
- Pungeon Master: He's happy to deliver a skeleton-related pun every chance he gets.
- Quest for Identity: Lent essentially has no identity of his own (that he remembers, at least). He lacks purpose, and it bothers him.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Wears a purple tuxedo.
- Stage Magician: Most of his magic has been used for traditional magic tricks, even though he's capable of doing so much more.
Round 2 Contestants
- Created by: Baka-MoyashiWon against GFoxLost to M-Kitty
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Mute: Since he is an old 1930's cartoon, he was never given a voice.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Interspecies Romance: With Lizzy
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Has shades of this. Despite his optimism and cheery disposition, he does get quite bitter about being a black-and-white cartoon, and being out of work indefinitely due to the introduction of sound and color.
- Keet: Very lively and expressive, and would be quite the chatterbox if he had a voice.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: His solution to convince everyone he's a new toon is to color himself with a red crayon.
- Shout-Out: To old 1930's cartoons such as the original Mickey Mouse and Felix the Cat.
- Won against TasselLost to Foxy Foxy Foxy
- Anthropomorphic Zigzag: Is usually on all fours, but is capable of bipedal movement.
- Big Eater
- Extreme Omnivore: Oddly enough, it cannot digest most vegetation, sugar, and certain spices. Not that it doesn't stop it from trying.
- Hearing Voices
- Speech-Impaired Animal: The Hunger is really only capable of saying a handful of words, despite being smart enough to read and write basic sentences.
- Split Personality: When The Host takes over, The Hunger becomes much more violent and aggressive.
- Created by: R-ToonzWon against Sirius TwinkleLost to Lent G Skellington
- Animate Inanimate Object: His species is classified as "living ink"
- Face of the Band: Lou has bandmates, but they don't seem to do much other than provide background music. It's even stated in Lou's bio that they're more like accessories than anything else.
- Musical Assassin: Though not at all an assassin, he does attack with sheets of music as he plays them.
- Nice Hat
- One-Man Band: His aptly named special attack.
- Ragin' Cajun
- Created by: HellStorm8000Won against Tom PhoneyLost to Claire
- Animate Inanimate Object: She's a living doll.
- Deadpan Snarker: Boy, is she ever!
- Disabled Snarker
- Emotionless Girl
- Eyepatch of Power: Complete with a smiley face!
- Handicapped Badass: She only has one arm and one good eye, but that doesn't stop her from displaying immense physical strength and scary-good precision with a blade.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Sole Survivor: Solemn awoke one morning to find everyone in her town had died from a disease. Supposedly.
- Stoic Woobie
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
Round 1 Contestants
- Created by: MacabreAustereRelumeLost to Lent G. Skellington
- Actually Not a Vampire: He loathes the fact that he's not the real deal.
- Alucard: It is his name, after all.
- Badass Longcoat
- Berserk Button: Alucard reacts very strongly to those who don't wait their turn in a fight.
- Daywalking Vampire: Justified in that he's Actually Not a Vampire.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: In-universe example. Alucard was originally a stand-in for an entire race of vampires for an up-and-coming RPG, resulting in him becoming a popular meme among players.
- Frozen Fashion Sense: Rather than clothes from a certain time period, it's the outfit he wore when he was still implemented in Squick Dungeon. This is his default outfit, and it's been stated he doesn't know how to physically change clothes.
- Improbable Hairstyle: It's in triangular chunks that float around his head.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Vampire Vannabe: One of his goals in the tournament is to finally become a real vampire.
- Created by: VashleLost to M-Kitty
- Animal Motifs / Mythical Motifs: His outfit resembles a bird, specifically The Phoenix.
- Fiery Redhead: In more ways than one!
- Hot Wings: Blaze's phoenix form, naturally, has wings made of fire.
- Incendiary Exponent: Blaze has a tendency to set things on fire when unsure of what to do. Or if he's bored.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Playing with Fire
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Can transform into a phoenix.
- Created by: BlueWingNightFuryLost to Foxy Foxy Foxy
- Dark and Troubled Past: Allegedly has one of these to explain why he became evil, but he could just be making it up.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His right eye has a blue sclera and a plus sign for a pupil.
- Fangs Are Evil
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Was originally created to be a banking mascot, then was somehow brought to life and made his escape.
- Created by: spongefoxLost to Barnaby Bat
- Arsenal Attire: Everything having to do with cartoon violence is concealed in her hat.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal
- Berserk Button: Has a whole list of them!
- Carnivore Confusion: One of two fox characters that has a pet rabbit.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Nearly Normal Animal: Her pet rabbit, Brandon, could be classified as Largely Normal.
- Nice Hat: A Swiss Army hat, at that!
- Created by: CaptainShijinkoLost to Claire
- Artificial Limbs: Has a pair of "normal" arms and a pair that she uses for combat.
- The Atoner: Sira may or may not have used her medical expertise to commit horrible deeds in the past, and wishes to right any wrongs she has done.
- Heart Drive: Her heart was replaced with a device known as a "black box".
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Much to her annoyance.
- Power Fist: Her combat arms.
- Quest for Identity: Averted. Sira is afraid of knowing what kind of person she was in the past, and instead works to better the person she is now.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Created by: doqmeatLost to Inkman Lou
- Curtains Match the Window: Well, one of them, at least.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Improbable Weapon User: Fights with an umbrella.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Little Bit Beastly: Aside from the dog tail, she looks like a normal human.
- Mismatched Eyes
- No Social Skills: Sirius was kept in isolation for most of her life in preparation to become heir to the Twinkle family.
- Sheltered Aristocrat
- Rose-Haired Girl: Although her personality doesn't quite fit the trope.
- Youthful Freckles
- Created by: GazeboofdoomLost to The Hunger
- Allergic to Evil: Tassel can sense impending physical danger through his tail. It relays this detection by pain, and the level of intensity seems to vary with how dangerous the threat is.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": His height and weight are measured in "cubits" and "stones", respectively.
- Deliberately Monochrome: In Tassel's world, color is linked to magic. The stronger your magic, the more color you have.
- Shrinking Violet: Is quite shy and unable to raise his voice.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Tassel is naturally trusting to a fault. In the toon world this sometimes lands him in trouble.
- Created by: AndYetNoBananasLost to Solemn
- Badass Longcoat
- Combat Pragmatist: Though he can follow the rules...only to use them against his opponents later on. He's also not above invoking hatred in others so that he can draw power from it.
- Darker and Edgier: In comparison to the rest of the cast.
- Nice Hat
- Perpetual Smiler: If he stops smiling, you're a goner.
- The Power of Hate: He is literally fueled by hatred, and believes that it's the driving force of the world.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: Is stuck taking the form of his arch-nemesis due to being the only thing he thinks about.
- Slasher Smile
Spectators and Tagalongs
- Created by: HellStorm8000
- Animate Inanimate Object: He's a living puppet.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As a demigod, Angel is immensely powerful, and will not hesitate to demonstrate this if someone he cares about is in danger.
- Big Brother Instinct: Heaven forbid you harm any of the dolls he's been tasked to watch over.
- Gentle Giant: The guy is over 9 feet tall and is one of the nicest characters in the tournament.
- Guardian Angel: Angel has been watching over his maker's other creations for tens of thousands of years.
- Older Than They Look: Nearly 90,000 years old!
- Razor Wings: Has a pair of metallic wings that we can utilize in combat.
- Sharp-Dressed Puppet
- Winged Humanoid
- Created by: Intra-Luna
Marven Vensilen and Lorance
- Created by: Intra-Luna
- Created by: CaptainShijinko
- Created by: Cassadiller
- Created by: Baka-Moyashi