See here for characters from the 2013 film.
A Space Pirate who lives by his own law in a universe seemingly out to get him. Everything else is pretty much flexible. Actually, with Gun Frontier, he doesn't even have to be a Space Pirate.
- The Ace: The biggest in the galaxy.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's a space pirate captain — ass kicking is part of the job description.
- Big Good: Of the Leijiverse.
- Byronic Hero: Oh yes.
- Defector from Decadence: Whatever the universe he inhabits, Harlock becomes a pirate in disgust over the people and government of Earth. Some Earths are wretched decadent places explicitly, in others they have turned themselves over to an oppressive power, and still others the Earth government IS the oppressive power.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: One of his skills.
- He tells off Wotan, Space Cthulhu, and others.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Another one.
- The Dreaded: People who know about him tend to be terrified of his wrath.
- Dub Name Change: to "Albator" in France, the reason being that "Capitaine Harlock" would have sounded too much like "Capitaine Haddock".
- Eyepatch of Power: How he got it usually changes, but he always has it.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a huge scar across his face.
- The Hero: In almost every version.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Toshiro.
- Honor Before Reason: One of his BIGGEST qualities.
- Keeping the Handicap: He refuses to have his scar removed because it's a part of his personal image.
- Morality Pet: Mayu.
- Space Pirate: If you're an anime fan, he's probably the guy you think of when you hear the word "space pirate."
- The Stoic: Hardly ever cracks a smile, although he's been known to show Manly Tears.
- Action Girl: Depending on the version, she's either this or a Faux Action Girl
- Dub Name Change: Her name was changed to "Nausica" in France.
- Pink Means Feminine: Pink, skintight outfit.
- Pirate Girl: One of the few on Harlock's ship.
- Ship Tease: With Tadashi.
- Space Pirate: Well, she's sailing with Harlock.
- Audience Surrogate
- One Steve Limit: There is another young man named Tadashi in Endless Orbit SSX, but his surname is Monono. Also, The two Tadashis exist in two separate timelines as SSX is a sequel to Arcadia of My Youth, both of which completely contradict the backstory for the 1978 Space Pirate series.
- Ship Tease: With Kei Yuki.
- You Killed My Father: His motivation.
- The Determinator: Stubborn as he is gonky, Tochiro has a will of iron. His refusal to give up in a fight with some Illumidas soldiers in Arcadia of My Youth earns him Harlock's respect.
- The Engineer: This is Tochiro's role in most Harlock media: he is not a spotlight-catching Action Hero like Harlock, but without the technological edge his creations (Gravity Saber, Cosmo Dragoon, Arcadia herself, e.g.) give to Harlock, the latter would not survive most scraps he finds himself in.
- Gonk: Look for yourself◊.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Harlock.
- Master Swordsman: He's surprisingly good with a sword, especially considering he doesn't use a gravity saber like Harlock and Emeraldas but a normal katana.
- Nice Hat: with many a souvenir in the form of bullet holes. With the poncho he's got on, he pulls off the "Midget Clint Eastwood" look off pretty well.
- The Smart Guy
- Space Pirate
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: You've seen Tochiro's looks at the Gonk entry. This is his wife Emeraldas◊.
- Underestimating Badassery: Many potential enemies see how short he is and think he's harmless, especially if they know he's short-sighted and thus can't shoot well. That continues until he draws his katana and they discover just how good he is with that blade.
- Virtual Ghost: Upon his deathbed, he uploads his consciousness into the Arcadia's main computer.