The characters from the anime series Canaan.
Zero-Context Example entries have been commented out.
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (JP), Shelley Calene-Black (EN)
A mercenary and assassin who has quite the connections with Maria Oosawa, having saved her life in the past. She's known both for her skills and her beautiful white hair.
- Bifauxnen: She could easily pass for an attractive male due to her rather boyish appearance.
- Boyish Short Hair: She keeps her hair short to show her status as a tomboyish Action Girl.
- Brought Down to Normal: Canaan loses her ability to "see colors" at the end of episode 7. She gets it back later, but only after getting hit indirectly by a missile, and confronting Alphard.
- Child Soldier: She has been trained to kill from a young age.
- Cute Bruiser: Plays cat's cradle with copper wire.
- Experienced Protagonist: Before the series started, Canaan had worked alongside Siam in several mercenary assignments.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The long glove on her left forearm.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She likes stuffed animals, but she says it's actually because she can't see any color in them instead of them being cute.
- Hide Your Lesbians: Her relationship with Maria is clearly beyond a mere friendship, but is never stated outright.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Because of her synesthesia she can make crack shot without looking or hearing, as all her senses compensate each other.
- Locked into Strangeness: Her hair is white due to having been infected with UA virus.
- Mystical White Hair: Her white hair is a sign of her sense-based powers making her a borderline magical Supersoldier.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Whenever she uses synesthesia, her eyes turn red.
- Red Is Heroic: The main heroine of the series wears a red shirt at all times.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her shirt leaves her shoulder blades and the middle of her back exposed.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: She wears a sleeveless red turtleneck and is a mercenary with outstanding combat skills.
- Sole Survivor: From her Doomed Hometown in the Middle East.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She's very much a cool type, yet an incredibly caring and loyal person especially towards Maria.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Maria's girly girl.
Voiced by: Yoshino Nanjo (JP), Hilary Haag (EN)
A Japanese photographer who holds quite the fascination with the girl who saved her in the past, and longs to meet her again. Her work in Shanghai might give her the chance.
- All-Loving Hero
- Break the Cutie
- Damsel in Distress
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's a very sweet and good-hearted young girl with long golden hair. (Only in the anime, though (in 428 she had black hair), which may mean that it is dyed.
- Hero-Worshipper: To Canaan.
- Hide Your Lesbians: With Canaan.
- Idiot Hair: She has a long strand of hair standing atop her head. While not an idiot, she's naive and somewhat spacey.
- Morality Pet: To Canaan.
- Rescue Romance
- A Saint Named Mary: Maria's name is unusual for a Japanese woman. It, however, is befitting her sweet nature. It also goes along with Canaan's biblical code-name.
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Hitomi.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly girl to Canaan, tomboy to her twin sister Hitomi.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: In the Shibuya game, she was forcibly infected with the UA virus and, as a side effect of the experience, she can't fully remember what went on back then... like when she met Alphard.
- Twin Switch: The Shibuya games had her doing this to save Hitomi, the sort-of Living MacGuffin of the game.
Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (JP), David Matranga (EN)
Maria's partner and friend, and another character coming from the Shibuya game.
Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (JP), Lesley Pedersen (EN)
The main villain of the series and titular character's nemesis. This woman, who is equal parts beautiful and deadly, is the leader of terrorist organization Snake. She had seen some action in the past as a mercenary alongside Canaan and Siam.
- Alliterative Name
- Arch-Enemy: To Canaan.
- An Arm and a Leg: Sacrifices an arm escaping Canaan in the final episode
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As her other tropes prove, she's not the kind of person who leads a terrorist organization from an armchair.
- Badass Longcoat: She wears a dark purple trench coat that looks awesome in her as she kicks ass.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her standard outfit consists of a bandeau under a Badass Longcoat.
- Big Bad: Ultimately, it's her actions that end up driving the plot.
- Dark Action Girl: She's the kind of woman who A) gets things done herself and B) doesn't have much of a moral compass.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Particularly Liang Qi, who's obsessed with having her attention - even if that means goading her into trying to kill her.
- Evil Counterpart: To Canaan.
- Fingerless Gloves: Part of her wardrobe.
- For the Lulz: No other motives are mentioned.
- Handicapped Badass: The ending shows she's still alive and apparently working as a terrorist, despite losing an arm.
- Lack of Empathy: She'll watch others break down over the loss of their loved ones with either mild bemusement or (particularly Canaan's case) a detached kind of satisfaction.
- Meaningful Name
- Onee-sama: To Liang Qi. The sentiment is not mutual.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Al Sheya, Alshua, or Alshaya.
- That Woman Is Dead: She's neither Sadaka nor Canaan anymore, thank you very much.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Whole Costume Reference: Of Dante as he appears in Devil May Cry 3, with a blue coat sans harness.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: To Liang Qi. At first, it looks like she'll honor Liang Qi's wish for a fight to the death, but in the end, she passes the deed off to Cummings after defeating Liang Qi, ignoring her in favor of watching Canaan on the security monitors.
Voiced by: Akio Ohtsuka (JP), Andrew Love (EN)
Canaan's mentor and adoptive father.
- Made of Iron: He can tank gunshots thanks to his bulletproof vest and powering through the pain. Alphard opted to fatally stab him instead of shooting him in the head because she grew up believing bullets would never hit Siam somewhere it mattered.
- The Mentor: To Canaan and Alphard, they wear a snake tattoos as symbol of their bond.
- Parental Substitute: For Canaan, having taken her in after her entire hometown — except for her — fell victim to the UA virus.
- Spirit Advisor
Voiced by: Rie Tanaka (JP), Jessica Boone (EN)
Alphard's Number Two, a merciless and cruel Chinese hitwoman who idolizes her.
- Alas, Poor Villain: She's a psychotic bitch, but it's still hard not to feel sorry for her during her heartbreaking Villainous Breakdown.
- Angrish: When ranting about how she'll destroy anything that gets between her and Alphard during her Villainous Breakdown, the things she lists includes mundane, completely unrelated things like "cream, barbecue, and waffles."
- Attention Whore: Just about everything that Liang does that isn't following Alphard's orders is to gain and keep the attention of Alphard, her beloved nee-sama. She hates anyone, especially Canaan, who takes Alphard's attention away from her.
- Ax-Crazy: Holy shit. "Ax Crazy" does not begin to describe just how unstable this chick is.
- Body Horror: When Liang consumes the Ua virus, she suffers horribly as the effects of the virus on someone who does not have the genes for synaesthesia take their toll on her.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Liang becomes this as she spirals further into madness, and is so desperate for any attention from Alphard at all that she derives pleasure from getting slashed in the leg by Alphard during their duel.
- Cute and Psycho: Sometimes, especially with her chibi avatar. Liang is every type of crazy, actually.
- Dark Action Girl: She is not afraid to get her own hands dirty, nor is she at all nice.
- Didn't See That Coming: When Cummings patiently asks her to come back with him after she brutally pummels him during her Villainous Breakdown, Liang Qi looks rather shocked for a moment - as if surprised that this didn't turn him off.
- Disease Bleach: Her hair turns white when she consumes the Ua virus.
- Dragon Lady: Sort-of.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: She tried to give herself synaesthesia by swallowing Ua virus capsules... and it backfires HORRIBLY.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: To Alphard. She wants her superior's attention at all times, while Aphard's either indifferent or dismissive depending on the situation.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Again, to Alphard.
- Jerkass: And how.
- Kick the Dog: All the time, with the worst being tricking Hakko into killing Santana with her voice.
- Laughing Mad: She's not shy about showing how amused she is by violence and cruelty.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Her devotion to Alphard makes her completely unhinged.
- Mini Dress Of Power
- Mistress and Servant Boy: She poses as Cumming's Sexy Secretary, but that's just a cover. Cumming is her subordinate, in reality, and she mistreats him a LOT. Not that he minds, being the masochist he is.
- Ms. Fanservice: Big-time. Special mention to her finale, where she goes around wearing lingerie. Then again, given how off her rocker she is by that point, it might veer into Fan Disservice.
- Naked on Arrival
- Pet the Dog: A twisted example, at the very end - she praises Cummings for shooting her (though she might have seen herown bleeding, pale-haired reflection and thought he shot Canaan), telling him that she'll love him from now on. Whether she meant it or not, we'll never know - she died shortly afterwards.
- Psycho for Hire: Big-time.
- Psycho Lesbian: Is. She. Ever.
- Sexy Secretary: Her cover.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Especially during her final scene.
- Villainous Breakdown: Suffers a horrific and heartbreaking one of these in Episode 11.
- Yandere: Man, oh man, oh man, is Liang ever one of these for Alphard. Her reason for murderously despising Canaan is because she can't stand Alphard paying attention to anyone other than her.
Voiced by: Toru Okawa (JP), Andy McAvin (EN)
The lead of a company named Daedala, which is a cover for Alphard's group. In reality he's little more than a puppet as well as Liang Qi's subordinate and punching bag.
- Anti-Villain: The most "moral" of the trio he forms with Liang Qi and Alphard. Hell, the main reason he's involved in all this is probably due to his feelings for Liang Qi.
- Beleaguered Assistant: To Liang Qi, who's quite frankly insane, and takes the brunt of most of her abuse, too.
- The Chew Toy: His abuse at the hands of Liang Qi is mostly Played for Laughs.
- Until he has to Shoot the Dog in episode 11.
- Love Martyr: He's very in love with Liang Qi, but she mocks and beats him. Her final words are to praise him for shooting (she thinks) Canaan, and agreeing to love him...right before she dies from her bullet wound. Ouch.
- Megane: His glasses are a key part of his appearance.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: His relationship with Liang Qi. She poses as his secretary, but he's actually her subordinate.
- The Mourning After: Becomes a monk after Liang Qi's death and Alphard's disappearance.
- Stockholm Syndrome: He ends up enjoying Liang Qi's beatdowns.
Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu (JP), Serena Varghese (EN)
A girl from the slums who follows Maria around.
- A-Cup Angst: She keeps stuffing her shirt with whatever she can find.
- Anime Chinese Girl: She dresses in Chinese clothes and wears a variant of Odango Hair.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her shirt exposes her midriff.
- Blessed with Suck: Her Borner mutation is... having *two* appendixes. Really. But, well, compared to Hakko and some others, she almost got off easy. Except, of course, for needing meds and having to work with Liang Qi for them.
- Break the Cutie
- Chekhov's Gunman
- The Chew Toy
- Cute Little Fangs
- Fake Boobs: She sometimes stuffs Dumplings in her shirt.
- HeelFace Turn: Not that she was really evil to begin with.
- Minion with an F in Evil
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she, by Maria's own request, detaches a train car rigged with explosives, with Maria still inside it. The look on her face says it all.
- Odango Hair: She wears her hair in two rings of hair, one on each side, resembling hair buns.
- Plucky Girl: Specially when she saves Maria's life in the end.
- Suicide Attack: Tries to kill Canaan this way.
- Tareme Eyes
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Emily Neves (EN)
The waitress of Santana's karaoke bar, she seems to be mute. She's kind and sweet and a little childlike, and Minoru seems to have a crush on her.
- Break the Cutie: Cuties of all kinds are broken here, but Hakko takes the cake.
- Brown Note: The real reason why she doesn't talk. Her Borner power resides in her voice, which releases lethal and very powerful waves; it can cause brain damage on those who hear it, and destroy any buildings/materials/etc. in her surroundings.
- Despair Event Horizon: Reaches it when she's tricked into killing her beloved Santana.
- Fanservice with a Smile: Dresses in a scanty catgirl outfit.
- I Love the Dead: In a scene that's both squicky and tragic, she gets very close to Santana's lifeless body.
- I Owe You My Life: To Santana.
- Kill the Cutie: So much that she ends up getting a half-squicky, half-heartwretching Death by Despair ending.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Sole Survivor
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pale green hair.
Voiced by: Hiroaki Hirata (JP), Leraldo Anzaldua (EN)
The owner of a karaoke bar in Shanghai, who offers solace and protection to Borners and others with the help of the waitress Hakko.
- The Atoner: As a CIA agent, he was one of the main actors behind the UA virus test that wiped out Hakko's village. Hence why he took her in. Tried to retire to a peaceful life running a karaoke bar, but his conscience gets the better of him and he ends up pursuing proper atonment, to his death.
- Last Request: As he lays dying he not only assures Hakko that it's not her fault, but asks her to tell him that she loves him.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Literally, he is most commonly seen in a pink shirt.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Damn it, Liang Qi. And poor Hakko.
- Team Dad
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (JP), Rob Mungle (EN)
A certain taxi driver who bumps into Maria and Minoru sometimes.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (JP), Kaytha Coker (EN)
Canaan's boss and informant, as well as an acquaintance of Santana.