open/close all folders
First Grade Armed Librarians
- Bare Your Midriff: Often wears midriff-baring outfits.
- Becoming the Mask: Inverted. Despite her mask of villainy, she becomes more normal and nicer over the course of her time as an Armed Librarian, and cares a lot more than she lets on
- Blood Knight: The nastiest. She gains actual pleasure from pain and death, especially the prospect of her own.
- Bored with Insanity: She's surprised by herself when she isn't smiling about getting to fight a massive army.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Blowing up the Smokeship in the first episode sets off the whole Volken plot.
- Death Seeker: Unsurprisingly. It is revealed that she's conditioned to feel pleasure from death and mortal injury. Eventually subverted.
- Ditzy Genius: Her thoughts are void, she does damn good job at competing with all the schemers in the world and is a good tactician.
- Easily Forgiven: Once she calls her true companions, some of whom she personally offed, into Ruruta's mindscape, they all rush to protect her despite the fact that the cost of her summoning them there is the destruction of their souls.
- Friendless Background: Was isolated and conditioned.
- Hidden Depths: Inverted. She's actually more frail and shallow than she appears.
- Insistent Terminology: Acting Director.
- It Amused Me: Seems to be her motivation for doing most of the things she does.
- Killed Off for Real: Like most of the cast.
- Large Ham: Hammy is even her nickname.
- The Leader: Of the Armed Librarians, and a surprisingly levelheaded one at that.
- Oh, Crap!: Has a moment of this when Cigal gets the upper hand in their fight and also when Neila makes her realize that she doesn't want to die.
- Put on a Bus: for the second arc
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Her real power is being able to force book eaters to eat books.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Mattalast calls her destruction of the steamboat "a little excessive." Most of the other librarians that suspect she was responsible criticize the act more harshly.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Has this reaction when Volken doesn't do for their fight and promptly blindsides him.
- Hikikomori: Locks himself in his room on the fifth floor of the library out of guilt for annihilating an army.
- Voiced By: Toru Ohkawa (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Always finely dressed, and one of the strongest armed librarians.
- Can't Catch Up: Feels this way as Hamyuts blazes through the ranks of the armed librarians and surpasses him.
- Combat Clairvoyance: His ower to see 2 seconds into the future makes him formidable in rapid combat.
- Heroic BSoD: When he sees Hamyuts' corpse.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Never seen without a suit.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Gets them whenever he uses his magical ability.
- Weak, but Skilled: One of the five strongest Armed Librarians, but as his main weapon is a pistol, he lacks the destructive power of Mokkania and Hamyuts who can solo entire armies.
- Voiced By: Akiko Takeguchi (Japanese), Marcy Bannor (English)
- Absolute Cleavage: Sported this in her younger days.
- Battle Butler: Dresses as a maid, but amazingly powerful in battle.
- Boisterous Bruiser: When she gets into a fight, she really gets into it!
- Boobs of Steel: More apparent in her youth, but she still has a sizable bust, and is brutal in hand to hand combat.
- I Was Qutie A Looker: A glimpse of her younger self reveals she was indeed very attractive, with a pronounced bust, and long flowing blonde hair.
- Time Master: Her power is localized control over time flow, where she is able to freeze someone's foot in place, or speed things up as she desires.
- Voiced By: Eiji Takemoto (Japanese), Houston Hayes (English)
Second Grade Armed Librarians
- Voiced By: Ryou Hirohashi (Japanese), Emily Neves (English)
- Voiced By: Daisuke Endou (Japanese), George Manley (English)
- Voiced By: Ryota Takeuchi (Japanese), Mark X. Laskowski (English)
- Voiced By: Tetsuo Goto (Japanese), Rob Mungle (English)
Third Grade Armed Librarians
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: His defection turns out to be this, as he sets out to expose Hamyuts and Bantorra for their crimes.
- Voiced By: Daichi Endou (Japanese), Michael Ali (English)
- Voiced By: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese), Connor Leach (English)
- Voiced By: Haruka Tomatsu (Japanese), Cynthia Martinez (English)
- Bare Your Midriff: Part of her standard outfit.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her early appearances have her carrying out mundane duties transporting piles of books to customers, and stumbling over herself while doing it.
- Genki Girl: She's exudes limitless energy and joy, even in the face of hatred and despair.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: She is a devout pacifist, believing above all else that she can be an armed librarian and protect the world without ever killing anyone, and that there's good in everyone and everything.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In an odd way, her pureness served as the final catalyst to a Hate Plague that almost destroyed Bantorra. Arkit Chroma, from whom the Plague was fostered, grew to care about Noloty's amazingly pure heart, and his hatred for Bantorra and the Armed Librarians only grew because he couldn't bear the thought that someone so pure and innocent would be part of such an organization.
- Odd Friendship: First with Enlike and later with Arkit.
The Church Drowning in Gods Grace
- Voiced By: Hiromi Hirata (Japanese), Carli Mosier (English)
- Oblivious to Love: Inverted more like "Oblivious to Hate". As Cigal's personal violinist and consort she grew to love him completely, but not only were the feelings not mutual, Cigal simply despised her for being anything less than a True Man. She never fully realized it until too late.
- Voiced By: Kenji Nojima (Japanese), Scotty Fults (English)
- Voiced By: Kenji Hamada (Japanese), Andrew Love (English)
- Superpower Lottery: Zatoh is a Book Eater, meaning that by eating the book left behind after someone's death, he consumes their soul and gains whatever supernatural power they possessed.
- Voiced By: Tamio Ohki (Japanese), John Swasey (English)
- The Chessmaster: Despite the Church being created by Bantorra, he cleverly manipulates everyone from behind the scenes.
- Faux Affably Evil: Seems to come off as well spoken and polite, but is rather smug about his plan's apparent success.
- Manipulative Bastard: Takes immense pride in having manipulated the armed librarians and various other players in his bid to destroy Bantorra, and achieve "heaven".
- It's All About Me: He considers anyone not a "True Man" is less than dirt, and holds himself in the utmost regard, firmly believing that he is the one sole person who should experience true happiness and have the most beautiful book of all time.
- Smug Snake: He simply loves that as a True Man he is superior to others in every way, and won't hesitate to make it known.
- Voiced By: Rokuro Naya (Japanese), John Kaiser (English)
- Heroic RRoD: After absorbing too many books it's clearly a straining effort, and almost prevents him from carrying out his mission, until he gains new resolve from Ninyu.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: Eats the book of the incarnation of the god of what is to come.
- Physical God: Has over 100,000 magic rights, doesn't seem to age and a lot of his exploits are handwaved by The Masquerade as "God did it."
- Superpower Lottery: Ruruta is a Book Eater and can acquire the powers of others by killing them and eating their book.
- Voiced By: Hirofumi Nojima (Japanese), Andrew Love (English)
- Voiced By: Clint Bickham (English)