The Most High Priest and Ryuji's father.
- Cool Old Guy: No matter how badly he's treated or how his temple is insulted he just smiles and stays calm to try and keep Ryuji from being discouraged.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: That odd, slightly perverted and almost wimpy guy over there? He is the head priest of the Myōō Dharani and if you give him a reason, he will show you that he definitely earned it.
- A Father to His Men: Is definitely this to the members of the Myōō Dharani as shown when he shows up Big Damn Heroes style to save Mamushi.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Unlike his own father he cares about his son as more than just an heir.
- Made of Iron: Getting stabbed through the neck wasn't enough to put him down for the count, and the very next day he is walking around just fine. He did retire from being a monk, but that was more for other reasons.
- Playing with Fire: Through his familiar Karura, he wields fire.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: Ryuji and Mamushi lost a lot of trust and respect for him due to how he distances himself from exorcist work and the temple group. The events of the Kyoto arc reveal what he really intends and desires, allowing Ryuji to regain his faith in his father and Mamushi also realizes she made the wrong choice in trusting Toudou over Tatsuma.
- Secret Keeper: He holds all the secrets of the Myōō Dharani and it is such secrets that are the source of his contract with Karura.
Head of the Kyoto Branch and father of the Shima family.
An Upper Second Class Exorcist and the 2nd son of the Shima family.
- Babies Ever After: He and Mamushi are expecting a baby and when they spread the news to the boys, Bon and co. commented how fast it was.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Mamushi. They clash and bicker over many things, yet they eventually end up getting married.
- Big Brother Mentor: To his younger brothers he is a good teacher. He also acts like this towards Ryuji and Konekomaru, even in childhood, but not so much to Renzo. Though that's partially because while Juuzo looks up to his deceased older brother Takezo, Renzo doesn't, resulting in a gap between them.
- Chick Magnet: A prequel side-chapter/OVA shows that Juuzou was popular with the ladies when three girls come to Mamushi to ask questions about him in order to get close to him and comment on his handsomeness. It is also implied that this isn't the first time this had happened.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Mamushi. They have known each other since they were children and while they bicker a lot, they clearly have feelings for each other. After the Kyoto arc, they get engaged. They are now officially married and expecting a baby.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The responsible, levelheaded older brother to Kinzou's more foolish younger brother.
- Friend to All Children: His profile notes him to be one, and in flashbacks, he's shown to be protective and caring towards a younger Renzou, Ryuji, and Konekomaru.
- Nice Guy: He's genuinely a good guy and quite polite too. When Toudou asks him to leave the room so Toudou could speak with Mamushi (with a sprained ankle from doing a job with Juuzou for Toudou) alone, he tells her to call for him if anything happens despite their rocky relationship at this point.
- Official Couple: As of chapter 89, he and Mamushi are officially married. They still hold a ceremony during Bon, Renzou, and Koneko's New Year's break.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calmer Blue Oni to Kinzou's Hot-Blooded Red Oni.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: He asks for Mamushi's hand in marriage to her father without even bothering to ask for her opinion first. He claims it's only the natural next step after what they already did the day before. Mamushi then claws up Juuzou's face as revenge.
The fourth son of the Shima family, Renzō's older brother and a Middle Second-Class exorcist.
- Attack Hello: He usually greets Shima with a tackle or a punch.
- Big Brother Bully: Greets his brother with a punch! Despite that, he's really a minor example and shows more care than other cases of this trope.
- Buxom Is Better: His reasoning for not accepting Juuzo wanting to marry Mamushi is because she has small breasts.
- Dumb Blond: Invoked. He's naturally brown-haired, but dyes his hair blond to make him stand out as the most idiotic of the Shima siblings.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Hot-Blooded foolish younger brother to Juuzou's more responsible older brother.
- Hidden Depths: He's very good at playing the shamisen. Shame his chosen genre is a hard one to listen to...
- Hot-Blooded: Very energetic and even willing to attack the Impure King head on. Word of God also says he was a very energetic child.
- Idiot Hero: Referred to as a "fucking idiot" and doesn't do anything but prove it's true.
- Innocently Insensitive: A light novel chapter focusing on a Christmas with the Kyoto Trio that takes place pre-joining up with True Cross, has him constantly forget about Renzo, calling Ryuji and Konekomaru his "precious little brothers" but makes no mention of Renzo. Renzo lampshades this but Kinzo doesn't notice.
- The Quiet One: Despite all of above, he tends to stick to the background and stay quiet more often than not. He only gets talkative really with those he knows.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Hot-Blooded Red Oni to Juuzou's calmer Blue Oni.
- Shipper on Deck: In the bonus chapter "Kin-nii's Band Has Zero Popularity" Kinzo forces tickets on Renzo and encourages him to ask out Izumo once he realizes he likes her.
The eldest sibling of the three Hojo daughters and a Middle First-Class exorcist at the Kyoto Branch.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes, like the rest of her family.
- Babies Ever After: She and Juuzou are expecting a baby and when they spread the news to the boys, Bon and co. commented how fast it was.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Juuzou. They fight and argue constantly, yet they obviously feel attracted to each other. They even bicker when they get engaged because Juuzou asked permission to marry her to her father before even asking her opinion in the matter.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She has feelings for her childhood friend Juuzou and the feeling is mutual. After the Kyoto arc, they get engaged. They are now officially married and expecting a baby.
- Cry into Chest: Cries into Juuzou's chest after he gets back from going against Toudou and reassures her that everyone was safe.
- A Day in the Limelight: The OVA of the second season focuses on her time in True Cross Academy. It shows her relationship with Juuzou and the other students as well as how Toudou had managed to manipulate her into doing what he asked. Being quite lonely, unable to make friends, and having growing suspicions about High Priest Tatsuma was not doing her any favours in seeing through Toudou's ruse.
- Eye Scream: Implants one of the Eyes of the Impure King into her own eyesocket. After its removed later, her normal eye is at the very least very bloodshot with blood leaking from the socket, and she is seen wearing an eyepatch even months later, making it unknown whether her eye is permanently damaged or just temporarily.
- Facial Markings: She has a tattoo going up the right side of her face.
- Fluffy Tamer: Of snake demons.
- Friendless Background: Because of her snake summoning abilities, she had a hard time making friends.
- Meaningful Name: Mamushi means "Pit Viper" fitting with the rest of her family's snake based Animal Theme Naming.
- Motherly Side Plait: She starts wearing her hair in a braid over her shoulder after she marries Juuzou and becomes pregnant with his child.
- Mystical White Hair: Her hair is white and has powerful snake summoning abilities.
- Official Couple: As of chapter 89, she and Juuzou are officially married. They still hold a ceremony during Bon, Renzou, and Koneko's New Year's break.
- Onee-sama: As the eldest of the three Hojo sisters and adored by the younger two.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even though her hair in a ponytail, it reaches a little bit past her waist.
- Short Hair with Tail: Her hair is styled in a straight bob with a long tail growing on the back.
- Snakes Are Sinister: Her apperance, temper, and Naga familiars help give this impression. Getting the Right Eye of the Impure King for Toudou didn't help her case at all. In reality, she's actually quite nice and a good girl who had been manipulated by Toudou.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Hojo/Houjou.
- Summon Magic: Is capable of summoning a snake demon to fight.
- Tsundere: Harsh type. She has a difficult personality and bad temper, only occasionally showing softness around Juuzou. That doesn't stop her from yelling and attacking Juuzou when he annoys her.
- Unwitting Pawn: Saburota Toudou manipulates Mamushi by exploiting her distrust in the higher-ups. He tricks her into betraying the Kyoto Branch and she helps him steal the Right Eye of the Impure King to later resurrect it under the belief that she was trying to keep it safe.
Third son of the Shima family, currently works at the India branch of the Order.
The eldest sibling of Juuzou, Kinzou and Renzou. Died during the Blue Night to save Renzo and Ryuji.
- Big Brother Instinct: During the Blue Night, he carried the baby Renzou and his last act before death was throwing Renzou over the cliff so he wouldn't die with him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Saved a baby Renzou and Ryuji during the Blue Night and died for it.
- Posthumous Character: He died during the Blue Night 16 years before the story and only appears in a flashback that shows his death.
- Small Role, Big Impact: His self-sacrifice shaped Kinzou's and Juuzou's dedication to exorcism. Renzou, on the other hand, is deeply bothered by the lofty status given to someone who died. This influences his choice to become a Double Agent.