The kami of a lake on an uninhabited island south of Japan, mate to the river kami who shares the island, Tinlet. He appears as a tall and elegant human male with long blonde hair and blue eyes, and a fetish for jewellery. More reticent than his bubbly mate, Rune demands a price for the magic healing of his waters.
- The Ageless: He is one of the kami and appears perpetually young.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Hes a lake, but like most kami he appears in a humanoid form for dealing with mortals.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Costume Porn: Prefers long, flowing garments.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Seto learned the hard way that Rune is much, much more powerful than he looks.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: The Hair Decorations in his Rapunzel Hair probably don't help.
- Elemental Eye Colors: He has very blue eyes to match his water kami nature.
- God Needs Prayer Badly: When his island had been abandoned and avoided for a few decades because of his bouts of wrath to drive away those he didn't want there, he starts fading away. It turns out that he needs to heal people and answer prayers to maintain his connection to the mortal world and not go to sleep like so many other kami.
- Happily Married: To Tintlet, the kami of the river that shares his island.
- Healing Spring: In exchange for an offering, Rune can heal pretty much anything up to and including total immolation of the body.
- Making a Splash: He is a water kami. Water is his weapon.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: He is the sentient soul of the lake.
- Odd Friendship / Interspecies Friendship: Saitou seems to actually be his friend, odd as that seems, since Saitou is originally a Jerkass irreverent mortal human with rough edges and Rune is an ancient refined lake god.
A river kami who lives on the same island as Rune, she appears as a beautiful human princess with blue eyes and waves of white-blonde hair. Outgoing and very happy.
- The Ageless: She is one of the kami and permanently youthful.
- Costume Porn: Enjoys dressing in the elaborate kimono and gowns given to the waters as offerings.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Shes a river, but like most kami she appears in a humanoid form for dealing with mortals.
- Elemental Eye Colors: Like every other water kami, her eyes are very blue.
- Hair Decorations: Loves her jewellery.
- Happily Married: To the lake-kami Rune.
- Healing Spring: Played with. She is concerned less with healing the physical body like Rune is, but in healing the mental and psychological health of her petitioners.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: She is the sentient soul of the river.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to merge with the waters.
The kami of a mountain off the coast of Rune's island. Friendly to though has little interaction with humans, and enjoys decorating himself with ores pulled up from the depths of the planet.
- The Ageless: He is one of the kami and appears perpetually young.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Hes a mountain, but like most kami he appears in a humanoid form for dealing with mortals.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Is friendly if distant, unless you try to mine him.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: A rather literal example of what happens if you do try to dig out his pretties.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: He is the sentient soul of the mountain.
The kami of a volcanic mountain by Rune's island. Rather grumpy and not known to be friendly with mortals.
- The Ageless: He is one of the kami and appears perpetually young if he bothers to take a human form.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Averted - most of the time he can't be bothered.
- Unstoppable Rage: What happens if you annoy him to the point of erupting.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Unless you happen to like spontaneous lava baths.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: He is the sentient soul of a volcano.
Known as "D", he is a Wrathful kami raising an army of youkai to destroy humanity in 2014.
- Ambiguous Gender: Referred to as a male, but might just be the default. Honestly, from a kami, can you tell? Does it matter?
- Badass Pacifist: Played with. A strange twist in that while he doesnt fight, period - he comes across almost defenseless and all he does is talk to people and inspire them (his words are extremely convincing) - what hes inspiring them to is violence.
- Charm Person: His words or voice are compelling, to the point that he talked his way past both Aoshi and Atem on his way into the country.
- Dissonant Serenity: While his recruits are performing violence, he's just there, smiling and watching. Possibly actually subverted into Tranquil Fury.
- Friend to All Living Things: Being a kami, his affinity for lesser animals also extends to people. He seems to focus more on animal-type youkai.
- Gaia's Vengeance: He's introduced gathering an army of those closer to nature to rise against humans.
- Mismatched Eyes: A Mark of the Supernatural? He is a kami after all. At any rate, one is violet and the other is gold.
- Nature Spirit: He is described as a personification of a concept rather than a place, unlike most of the other kami seen. He is a guardian of wild spaces or the concept of wilderness.
- Qipao: To highlight his Chinese-ishness, he's always said to be wearing a cheongsam (though presumably the male version).
- Rage Breaking Point: Other characters say that as a kami he has entered his Wrathful aspect due to centuries of testing humans and finding them unworthy. He doesn't bring it up at all himself.
- Tranquil Fury: He still appears very calm.
- Sweet Tooth: People who watch him make tea tend to end up revolted when they see the sugar that goes into it.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He believes his crusade to destroy humanity is justified for the sake of the natural world.
Lover of art and artists, Kaworu is a purveyor of inspiration and a master of the Cryptic Conversation. However his true motives remain unknown to all but himself.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Its fairly certain that Kaworus true form isnt an albino human teenager.
- Winged Humanoid: He can appear as a human teenager with six huge feathered wings.
- Angel Unaware: Played with. Its always known that he's supernatural, but what flavor of supernatural is left ambiguous until Yue comes along.
- Batman Gambit: He sets up people like dominoes and flicks one here and there... For shits and giggles, apparently.
- Big Brother Mentor: He's a mentor to Yue, teaching him how to fly "as an angel" and other things important for him to know.
- Mr. Exposition: He explains to other characters what angels actually are, what Yue actually is, and does a lot of explaining of the world to Yue.
- Blue and Orange Morality: His actions, even those that seem everyday and ordinary, have an edge of 'creepy' commented on by Saitou especially.
- Cryptic Conversation: What he says and what the other characters hear aren't always the same thing.
- Very fond of Mathematician's Answer, much to Saitous frustration.
- Intrigued by Humanity: Enjoys watching people, especially artists, and 'reading' them by studying their art.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: To Kaworu art, no matter how obscure, is the truest way to comprehend someone.
- Omniscient Morality License: Possibly with a heavy helping of In Mysterious Ways
- Our Angels Are Different: Everyone assumes he's one of the kami, but as the story goes on it's revealed he is actually an angel. At least enough of one to give Yue flying lessons. Unlike traditional angels, though, he keeps his wings hidden and spends his time hanging around with artists and drinking extremely rare coffee blends.
- Power Glows: Downplayed. It's subtle but he does glow when he's using his power.
- Time Travel / Dimensional Traveller: Implied. He claims to have 'world wings' and 'time wings' for travelling to different places and times.
- The Trickster: A subtle example. It's hard to tell if he has a goal in his actions or he's trolling. Possibly both.
The Earthkami / Darien Shields
The Earthkami is, as the name suggests, the kami of the very earth itself, basically the quintessential earth deity known to many cultures.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: He is the Earth. Literally. He just happens to look like a person.
- Badass Pacifist: He doesnt raise a hand to any of his enemies; all he does is talk. And he wins.
- Break Them by Talking: With just a couple sentences, he's able to completely break Yoko no Kurama's fighting spirit. He also talks down D, in between their respective forces.
- Distressed Dude: It's revealed that the purpose of nature kami is to guard and protect him, because "the Earth cannot protect itself". If someone were out to harm him, or doing it unintentionally out of thoughtlessness, he would be helpless on his own to stop them.
- Gaia's Revenge: Defied, being that he is "Gaia", and he woke up specifically to stop the revenge.
- God in Human Form: He spends eternity living mortal lives. Not always human, of course.
- I Have Many Names: The Earthkami, Tsuchi-no-Mikoto, Geb, Chikyuu, Diqiu zunjing-shen, Darien Shields
- Living Legend: Renowned and spoken of in the legends of cultures all around the world in the form of the known earth deities. The kami and other immortals that the characters meet speak of him with reverence, though mortals find the idea of his actual existence hard to believe.
- Mother Nature: A genderflipped verion; he is the embodiment of nature.
- Non-Action Guy: He doesn't fight. He doesn't seem to lack courage, but he doesn't even seem to consider that he could fight on his own behalf.
- Omniscient Morality License: More directly omniscient than most - he literally knows the minds and hearts of all living things, and he knows what is best for the world (being as he is the world). He doesnt ask for permission or understanding for what he does, though he does try to make it as painless as possible.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Hes pleasant enough, but his decisions and what he considers acceptable sacrifices arent always comprehensible to mortals.
- Shrouded in Myth: The only information that Saitou and Shun have to go on to find him are some vague creation myths that seem to have even been forgotten by mainstream religions.
Mortal Form (Darien)
- Barrier Maiden: Once he's woken, Darien has a "Do you understand what you've done?" moment with Saitou and Shun. The reason for earlier characters' reluctance to help them find him becomes clear: now that the god is conscious in a human body, if any harm befalls him, it will literally kill the Earth. His normal practice of leaving his power and consciousness disperse maintains the balance of the world.
- Death by Origin Story: His parents, in a car crash (on his birthday), leaving him Conveniently an Orphan.
- Occult Blue Eyes: His striking blue eyes are described a couple times, and he does in fact have psychic powers, as well as being, of course, a god Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can.
- Psychic Powers: In particular psychometry and assorted dreams, although whether precognitive, retrocognitive, or clairvoyant isnt really clear. When he touches people he sees flashes of their life, which probably explains he credulity when they claim things like being 600 year old kusari-fundo.
- Wistful Amnesia: Lost all memories when he was six, which he never regained, and which leaves him into adulthood with a feeling of something missing.
An angel who is discovered living in KaibaCorp and claims to want to oversee their technology.
- Artificial Limbs / Cyborg: His right arm is clearly mechanical, described as looking pneumatic and having tubes that flex in place of muscles, and fingers that look like metal claws. It still functions perfectly, though.
- Mark of the Supernatural: He has red eyes and greenish hair that show him to not be human.
- Our Angels Are Different: He is an angel but doesn't seem to be attached to a god - he's "an angel of technology".
- Scars Are Forever: He lost an arm at some point and claims that he waited a long, long time to be able to replace it with his artificial one. Evidently being an angel wouldn't restore it.
- An Arm and a Leg: He hasn't said how he lost his arm, but it's implied to have been a traumatic injury.
- Technopath: He shows an ability to control the electric lights, at least.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Played pretty straight, as he has, apparently natural, blue-green hair.
Haru is a river kami who had lost his river and was staying with Saitou in 2014. He took the form of a teenage boy in swim trunks with very little emotion.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: He literally is a river, but like any kami he takes a human form to interact with mortals.
- Which lends some Fridge Horror to the fact that he lost his connection to his river. So he was a disembodied soul? And the river was undead?
- Elemental Eye Colors: Like all other water kami that are seen, his eyes are very blue.
- Emotionless Boy: His primary emotion seems to be apathy.
- Stoic Woobie: Hes a displaced kami who has to live in fish tanks and water bottles, who is slowly fading because he lost his river, and all he expresses is it doesnt matter.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: He is the sentient soul of a river, which he got detached from.
Makoto was an earth kami that Saitou and Shun met in 2014.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: As an earth kami he literally is a mountain, or part of one, but like any kami he takes a human form to interact with mortals.
- Nature Spirit / Genius Loci: He is the sentient soul of a mountain, or part of one.
- Nice Guy: We dont really see much about him, except that hes, well, nice.
Demerei is not only an oriental dragon, but apparently an oriental dragon god - in this case, the north wind. He seems to bring two things with him: chaos and sexytimes.
- Anything That Moves: Demerei's sexual preference seems to be "sapient".
- Charm Person: His speech is unusually persuasive. He tends to plant seeds in people's minds they don't even realize, but they act on.
- Complete Immortality: As a god of the natural world and a "dragon kami", he doesn't age and will exist as long as the world does.
- Ethical Slut: Demerei has some flaws, but he's basically benevolent, and truly sex-positive.
- Really Gets Around: Other immortals tend to know Demerei primarily for his sexual... availability.
- Perception Filter: People tend not to notice him, unless he wants them to.
- Sex God: He's known to be so good that Bakura, an incubus, willingly seeks him out even though he can't feed on sex with him.
- Time Abyss: If he is in fact the embodiment of the north wind, he's been around or approximately four billion years.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: His wrathful aspect is a terrifying, sky-obscuring, raging storm and red coils.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can move between his human and dragon forms at will.