open/close all folders
- Disappeared Dad: Violet's father is out of the picture.note Jenny's dad, Ed, is revealed to have died sometime prior to the series. Theres also no mention of Waynes father, and Bettys father is presumed long dead.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Jenny (Sanguine), Betty (Choleric), Violet (Melancholic), Wayne (Phlegmatic).
- Multigenerational Household: Jenny lives with her boyfriend, daughter, and mother.
- Perpetual Poverty: The Hart family is not rich, and they're barely making a living. It also overlaps with Poverty for Comedy.
- Quirky Household: The Harts count as this with their contrasting interests and personalities.
- Fanservice with a Smile: Jenny is the most fanservice-y member of the waiting staff at The Last Supper much to the consternation of her boss, Louise.
- Fat and Skinny: Jenny is the skinny to Brendas fat.
- Only Child Syndrome: Jenny is an only child.
- Pals with Jesus: Jenny talks to Jesus, who manifests Himself from the Last Supper mural of the diner in which she works.
- Parent with New Paramour: Jenny has been in a relationship with Wayne for an undisclosed amount of time.
- Struggling Single Mother: Played with. Jenny is a single mother (in the legal sense) who struggles to pay the bills and raise Violet. However she does have Wayne and Betty in her corner.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Both ways. The Serious Child to Betty's Wacky Parent, and the Wacky Parent to Violet's Serious Child. Jenny is generally serious, but more prone to lapse in judgments than her daughter.
- Fiery Redhead: Has red hair and a spunky personality to boot.
- Happily Married: Betty and Ed were this before the later died.
- Playing Gertrude: Played with. Betty is 53 and has a teenage grandchild, but her voice actress, Maya Rudolph, is 47 and has four children between the ages of six and fourteen.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: The Wacky Parent to Jenny's Serious Child.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost always talks in a dry manner.
- Goth: Violet appears to be one.
- Heroic Bastard: Jenny and Don werent married when Violet was born.
- Nice Hat: Violet wears a gray beanie.
- Nom de Mom: Violet has her mother's surname, rather than that of her father.
- Only Child Syndrome: Violet doesnt have any siblings.
- Teens Are Short: Violet is visibly shorter than the adults in her family.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: The Serious Child to Jenny's Wacky Parent .
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Violet's hair is dyed indigo, though a past picture shows that her natural hair color is chestnut brown like Jennys.