Ichigo Kurosaki | Ichigo's Companions | Gotei 13 Squads 1 - 7 | Gotei 13 Squads 8 - 13 | Soul King and Zero Squad | Aizen and His Cohorts | Visoreds and Exiled Soul Reapers | Espada | Arrancars | Hollows | Karakura Town Residents | Soul Society Dwellers | Xcution | Vandenreich | Yhwach | Zanpakuto | Anime-Only Characters | Light Novel-Only Characters
Characters that appeared in Tite Kubo's Bleach. This page deals with the Hollows, corrupted spirits that have transformed into monstrous creatures.
NOTE: To avoid confusion to English-language readers, who may be more familiar with the English anime than the manga, all names are in Western order.
- Bishōnen Line: When a Hollow becomes a Gillian, it becomes a black-cloaked colossus with a white mask. Gillian lucky enough to retain their individuality have unique masks and can become Adjuchas, which are much smaller but far more powerful, and are usually shaped like animals. Adjuchas must continue to devour other Hollows or risk devolving into a mindless Gillian, and a rare few have the potential to become particularly powerful, humanoid entities called the Vasto Lorde. Additionally, most Hollows that have their masks broken will transform into a more-powerful humanoid form called an Arrancar.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Hollows grow more powerful by consuming other souls, and a Hollow that eats other Hollows will eventually become a Menos.
- The Corruption:
- A Plus becomes a Hollow when they are overcome with sufficient negative emotions like rage, hatred, and despair, causing them to discard their human heart and become a monster. They can also be forcibly Hollowfied by having their Chain of Fate torn off.
- Soul Society's Research Division once experimented with a process called Hollowfication, intended to grant Hollow powers to Soul Reapers. Official research was discontinued since the test subjects completely transformed into mindless super-powerful Hollows, and their souls eventually destabilized and self-destructed. Aizen surreptitiously continued this research, developing a "Target Hollowfication" mutagen capable of inducing Hollowfication via wounds. Urahara developed a means of preventing the "Soul Suicide", though the subjects would still be at risk of becoming monsters unless they suppressed their Inner Hollow.
- The Fullbringers were born to mothers who survived Hollow attacks and passed Hollow reiryoku on to their children at birth, granting them unusual abilities.
- Dragged Off to Hell: If they sinned while they were alive, the gates of Hell will appear and suck them in when they're defeated.
- The Empire: Prior to Aizen conquering it, Hueco Mundo was ruled over by Baraggan Louisenbairn as its self-proclaimed God-Emperor. After his death and Aizen's defeat, Tier Harribel of the Espada became the Queen until she was overthrown by Yhwach, and resumes her position after Yhwach is defeated.
- Expressive Mask: The teeth on a Hollow's mask aren't just for decoration, as the mouth opens and closes — often wider than the human mouth behind it — to enable them to devour prey.
- FaceMonster Turn: As demonstrated by Sora Inoue, no matter how genuinely nice or sweet or loving a person was in life, once their Chain of Fate corrodes they will be overwhelmed by spiritual corruption and negative emotions and transform into a bloodthirsty, ravenous monster driven by base instincts.
- Ghost Amnesia: Many Hollows — in particular the Arrancar — do not remember their human selves, and dismiss humans as nothing more than prey.
- Ghostly Goals: The first step to a Plus becoming a Hollow is them not moving on to Soul Society for one reason or another, but becoming fixated on a person or place important to them and remaining until their Chain of Fate erodes or is torn off.
- Giant Mook:
- Huge Hollows are massive, building-sized Hollows that are more than a match for Soul Reaper trainees, but no match for Captains and Lieutenants.
- Gillian Menos are skyscraper-sized Hollows that are amalgamations of hundreds and thousands of other Hollows.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: In the anime, Hollows' eyes are shown as glowing yellow and not having pupils so long as they are wearing their masks.
- Horror Hunger: Hollows are compelled to devour souls by a ravenous hunger caused by the loss of their humanity. The more souls a Hollow consumes, the hungrier it becomes until it will start eating other Hollows.
- Kame Hamehadoken: Menos-class Hollows can fire powerful beams of spirit-energy called Cero, usually as a Breath Weapon.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Rukia tells Ichigo that a Hollow's first victims are often their loved ones.
- Killing Intent: Hollow reiatsu is described as heavy, dark, and malevolent; and is often shown as red or black.
- Light Is Not Good: Most stardard Hollows are white in coloration, and all of them sport white skull-like masks over their faces, but they are ravenous evil spirits.
- Many Spirits Inside of One: Gillian Menos are generally mindless brutes due to the consciousnesses of the Hollows that composite them lacking cohesion.
- Merger of Souls: The Hollowfication process functions by inserting a Hollow's soul into that of another spirit and merging them together. Weak souls cannot withstand the process and are immediately destroyed, and even Captain-class Soul Reapers will eventually self-destruct unless steps are taken to stabilize them, and even then they risk being reduced to mindless, rampaging super-powerful Hollows.
- Metamorphosis Monster: When a Hollow consumes enough of its own kind, it will transform into a Gillian-class Menos and most often have its consciousness lost amidst those of the other Hollows it's consumed. Those lucky to retain their individuality must continue devouring other powerful Hollows until they transform again, becoming Adjuchas. A rare few Adjuchas have the potential to become the humanoid Vasto Lorde if they devour enough souls.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Vasto Lorde-class Menos are the most powerful type of Hollow aside from Arrancar, and are humanoid in appearance. Tier Harribel is revealed to have been one in the anime, and Ulquiorra is revealed to have been one in a bonus chapter revealing his backstory. Barragan and Coyote Starrk, though not explicitly confirmed to be, are all but stated to have been Vasto Lordes themselves given their higher rankings, the former's dominance of Hueco Mundo as its God-Emperor (and his Hollow form having been a humanoid skeleton barely different from his latter Resurreccion), and the latter possessing sufficient uncontrollable power to kill even Adjuchas Hollows with his mere presence.
- Mooks: Around the time Uryū Ishida is introduced, regular Hollows go from being a Monster of the Week and fairly serious threat to something the protagonists casually Curb-Stomp Battle.
- Nested Mouths: When a Hollow opens its mask's jaws, their original form's mouth can often be seen inside, surrounded by a black void. This is more noticeable with Hollows whose masks have beaks or abnormal jaws.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In addition to some Hollows looking like dragons, BURN THE WITCH reveals that the Western Branch of Soul Society classifies Hollows to be a type of Dragon, and they are disparaging towards the Eastern Branch's Soul Reapers for their Final Solution attitude.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Hollows are similar to onryō in that they are spirits who are corrupted into malevolent, monstrous beings that hunt and harm the living. They are also similar to the preta or "hungry ghosts" of Buddhism, which Bleach's cosmology draws from.
- The Power of Hate: Hollows are driven by negative emotions and spiritual corruption to devour the ones they loved in life, then hunt for other souls to consume; and their spiritual power is described as dark, malevolent, and heavy.
- Signature Roar: In the anime, most Hollows emit a shrill, howling roar when they're not talking.
- Spirit World: Whenever they're not hunting in the World of the Living or Soul Society, Hollows inhabit an afterlife called Hueco Mundo, similar to the Realm of Hungry Ghosts in Buddhism, which is divided into two layers: a bone-white desert beneath an Always Night sky, and underneath that lies the Forest of the Menos.
- Torso with a View: When a soul Hollowfies, a hole opens up in its chest where its heart used to be, signifying they have lost their humanity. Adjuchas-class Menos and Arrancar tend to have holes in places other than their chest.
- Transhuman Treachery: Hollows like Grand Fisher, Fishbone D, Numb Chandelier, and the overwhelming majority of Menos look down on humans as being weak and nothing but prey, despite having once been humans themselves.
- Was Once a Man: The vast majority of Hollows were once Humans who succumbed to spiritual corruption after death and transformed into monsters. A million years ago, however, Hollows as powerful as Vasto Lorde could spontaneously manifest — though Ulquiorra was the only known primordial Hollow from that time to survive into modern times, and was killed by Hollow Ichigo.
- White Mask of Doom: When a soul Hollowfies, their discarded "heart" manifests as a white Mask of Power.
- Your Soul Is Mine: While they're capable of harming and presumably consuming physical flesh, their favorite foods are human souls and other spiritual beings, especially powerful ones like Soul Reapers and other Hollows.
A humanoid fish-headed Hollow who Rukia was tasked with slaying. He attacked the Kurosaki household, badly injured Rukia, and was slain by Ichigo. His appearance was later revealed to have been orchestrated by Aizen in order to facilitate Ichigo awakening his Soul Reaper powers.
- Establishing Character Moment: Eating the ghost girl that Ichigo helped at the beginning of the first chapter, just because she smelled like Ichigo.
- Healing Factor: While he didn't possess Instantaneous Regeneration, he was able to heal a cut Rukia dealt to him by retreating to Hueco Mundo for a few seconds.
- Fish People: His mask was shaped like a fish's head and he had a dorsal fin, but was otherwise humanoid.
- Man Bites Man: He tries to swallow Ichigo whole only for Rukia to intervene and get chomped on instead.
- Starter Villain: He was the first Hollow slain by Ichigo and not very high on the totem pole, but was strong enough to have amassed a sizeable bounty.
- Would Hurt a Child: He ate the ghost girl who Ichigo helped at the beginning of the first chapter.
A weak spider-like Hollow that Rukia located hunting the ghost of a young boy. He was slain by Ichigo after a short fight.
The Hollow form of Orihime's older brother, Sora Inoue, resembling a snake with a humanoid torso and skull-like mask.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When Ichigo enrages and injures him, the sclera of his exposed eye turns black.
- Blinding Bangs: After Ichigo damaged his mask, his bangs cover his exposed eye, hiding his human identity from Orihime.
- Breath Weapon: He has acidic saliva that he can shoot from a gap in his mask's incisors.
- The Corruptible: In the anime, he was shown as a Plus being attacked by a group of Hollows led by Grand Fisher, who dragged him to Hueco Mundo and forced him to Hollowfy.
- Dying as Yourself: After Orihime tells him that she hadn't forgotten him but that she didn't want him to be sad, Sora suppresses his Hollow instincts long enough to remove the rest of his mask, and impales himself with Ichigo's Zanpakuto.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Later in the manga it's established that a Hollow becomes an Arrancar if their mask is broken. When Acidwire's mask is broken, his human side asserts control.
- Green-Eyed Monster: In the manga, his jealousy over Orihime's friendship with Tatsuki and crush on Ichigo was what caused him to Hollowfy.
- Hammerspace Hideaway: He popped out of Ichigo's pillow to attack him, and later burst from Orihime's teddy bear to attack her and Tatsuki.
- If I Can't Have You...: He displays this attitude towards Orihime, thinking that she had forgotten him after his death.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Unlike most Hollows, who have glowing yellow eyes, he's shown with glowing red eyes in the anime.
- Snake People: He has a brown serpentine body with black markings on his back, and a humanoid torso and head.
A male bat-like Hollow that targeted Chad. He was a serial killer in life, and was dragged off to Hell after Ichigo cut his mask. He returned in a filler episode as a Sinner, attacking Rukia and Renji before being forced to return to Hell.
- Arm Cannon: Can fire explosive leeches from his arm wrappings as a Sinner.
- Black Cloak: When Shrieker returns as a Togabito, he wears a black cloak that enables him to move freely outside of Hell.
- Came Back Strong: As a Sinner he retained the form and abilities he possessed as a Hollow but was significantly more powerful.
- Chained by Fashion: As a Sinner he is bound by the Chains of Hell, which he can use to defend himself and to trip up opponents.
- Combat Compliment: Shrieker was inwardly impressed at Chad having "pretty good instincts" when he got socked twice, hit with a telephone pole, and almost punched a third time without Chad ever seeing him. The compliment was purely in his thoughts, but even Shrieker was able to realize that Chad was something special.
- Dragged Off to Hell: After Ichigo cuts his mask he is grabbed by a Kushanada and dragged through the gates of Hell.
- Enemy Summoner: Can create frog-like offshoots that spit exploding leeches.
- Giant Flyer: Looks like a massive bat, and has a pair of wings that let him fly.
- I Lied: When Ichigo asks if he is actually able to resurrect Yūichi's mother, Shrieker admits he lied to manipulate the boy into doing his bidding.
- Jerkass: Even for a Hollow, as rather than just eating Yūichi he killed him, stuffed his ghost into a parakeet, using him to locate spiritually powerful people to eat, all under the false promise of resurrecting his mother.
- Karmic Death: Was accidentally killed by Yūichi Shibata, the son of his last victim.
- Mad Bomber: He has offshoots that spit leech-like living bombs.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His tongue-whistle, which detonates his explosive leeches.
- Meaningful Name: He's called Shrieker due to his tongue's whistle.
- Oh, Crap!: When Chad uproots a telephone pole and swats him like a pinata, and when Ichigo gives him a "The Reason You Suck" Speech and beats his face in with the sharp side of his Zanpakuto.
- Overly Long Tongue: He has a long, forked tongue he uses as a whistle to trigger his bombs.
- Sadist: Enjoyed killing people brutally when he was alive, and as a Hollow he psychologically tortures the soul of a little boy for kicks.
- Serial Killer: He was an infamous serial killer before he died, accidentally killed by the young son of one of his victims.
- Tongue Trauma: Ichigo rips it out to keep him from using his bombs, but he grows it back as a Togabito.
- To Serve Man: While his ravenous hunger as a Hollow is standard, he retains his appetite for souls as a Sinner.
- We Will Meet Again: Claimed as such after he came back as a Togabito and was sent back to Hell. It's subverted as Shuren has him killed off screen.
- Would Hurt a Child: He killed Yūichi in revenge for accidentally killing him, but rather than just eating him he stuffed the boy's soul into a parakeet and psychologically manipulated him.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: The tie-in episode reveals he was working with Shuren in hopes of escaping Hell and fighting Ichigo again, but he was only being used to test the ability for Sinners to foray outside of Hell and is disposed of shortly after he's sent back.
A male Hollow resembling a chicken-footed hamster with an anglerfish-like lure. He killed Ichigo's mother.
- Alluring Anglerfish: His lure, which he can disguise as a human and hide himself within in order to ambush prey.
- BFS: Wields a zanpakuto the size of a small skyscraper as an Arrancar.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Doesn't remember killing Ichigo's mother as he only has a short-term memory and has been killing for so long.
- Facial Markings: Comma-like marks under his mask's eye sockets, as well as on his actual face in Arrancar form.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Is nearly cut in half by Ichigo. Later, Isshin easily bisects him.
- Healing Factor: Is capable of High-Speed Regeneration, rapidly regrowing an arm that Ichigo sliced off.
- Horned Humanoid: Has two horns in his humanoid Resurreccion form.
- It's Personal: He killed Ichigo's mother, and then later attacked Kon (in Ichigo's body) as payback for his defeat at Ichigo's hands.
- Mind Probe: His claws enable him to read the memories of his victims to find a person they cannot attack.
- Mugging the Monster: When his lure catches the attention of a young Ichigo, Fisher picks a fight with Masaki Kurosaki... a powerful Quincy who should have been able to easily destroy him. Fortunately for him, her powers were removed by Yhwach and Fisher ate her.
- Next Tier Power-Up: His appearance when he was first transformed into an Arrancar by Aisslinger Wernarr and his appearance when he attacked Kon and Isshin are drastically different, implying Aizen upgraded him with the Hogyoku.
- One-Winged Angel: After being converted into an Arrancar he can assume a much more massive, horned form.
- Power Echoes: As an Arrancar his voice is distorted and echoic.
- Prehensile Hair: Can freely extend and manipulate his fur to restrain prey.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When he thinks he's won, Grand Fisher mocks Ichigo for his naivety and inexperience. Ichigo later turns this around on him before badly injuring him.Grand Fisher: It's over boy, so let's pay respect! Out of all those I've encountered, you were the youngest, the most thoughtless, and weakest Soul Reaper of all!
- Retractable Weapon: His ridiculously long claws that he conceals in his fingertips.
- Rubber Man: Can stretch his arms to attack from a distance.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: Fisher can read his opponents' memories by piercing them with his claws, and transforms his lure into the person they're least-willing to attack to prevent them from fighting him — which is how he managed to kill several Soul Reapers despite only being a regular Hollow. Unfortunately, he hits Ichigo's Relative Button on the head.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can change the appearance of his lure, which combined with his mind-reading abilities is what enabled him to kill numerous Soul Reapers.
- Would Hurt a Child: He tried to eat Ichigo as a child, and targets Yuzu and Karin.
The ghost of a greedy man who wanted to inherit his father's hospital, now long-abandoned and dilapidated. He was the subject of Don Kanoji's "Ghost Bust" TV show, but the oblivious paranormal investigator caused him to Hollowfy by breaking his Chain of Fate. He was cleansed by Ichigo, turning back into a Plus before moving on to Soul Society.
- Chained by Fashion: He was wrapped up by his Chain of Fate, which bound him to the long-abandoned hospital he'd coveted in life.
- Greed: He'd planned to become filthy rich by inheriting the hospital from his dying father, who kiboshed those plans by choosing his younger son as his heir.
- It's All About Me: He was the eldest son of the owner of a hospital, but was passed over in favor of his younger brother. He didn't take that well, which is why he remained bound to the hospital after death.
- One-Winged Angel: Don Kanonji breaking his Chain of Fate caused him to Hollowfy, transforming from a corrupted Plus into a frog-like Hollow.
- Supernormal Bindings: His Chain of Fate bound him to the hospital he had coveted in life even after it was abandoned and fell into ruin.
- Torso with a View: His Chain of Fate was coming off, forming a Hollow Hole in his chest. Don Kanoji popped it off, causing him to fully transform into a Hollow.
A female Hollow somewhat resembling a nudibranch that was summoned by Uryū's Hollow bait. She attacked Tatsuki and Chizuru, and was truly killed by Orihime.
- All There in the Manual: Her name and gender are never mentioned in the anime and manga and are only revealed in the databooks.
- Body Horror: Her spores imbed themselves in her victims' bodies, growing grotesque roots that are visible through their skin and enable Numb Chandelier to control them.
- Dirty Coward: She doesn't fight on her own, but instead has pawns fight for her.
- Disproportionate Retribution: She attacks Orihime when she notices Orihime's spiritual power, but does so indirectly by controlling the bodies of Orihime's classmates. Tatsuki rushes in to save Orihime and does such a good job that Numb Chandelier decides to have the male classmates attack Tatsuki with the intention of gang-raping her and then having her kill herself afterwards.
- Expressive Mask: Unlike all other Hollows, her mask has flexible tentacles.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: She's cut clean in half courtesy of Orihime's Koten Zanshun technique — the only time Orihime has successfully used Tsubaki's power on its own.
- Mind-Control Device: Fires parasitic spores that allow her to control those infected.
- Power Perversion Potential: Numb Chandelier views herself as a being who hates conflicts and therefore uses her body-control powers to force others to engage in conflict on her behalf. The more perverted the violence she forces her puppets to engage in, the more excited she becomes. She first simply tries to make Orihime's classmates kill her, but when Tatsuki interferes she decides to force the male classmates to gang-rape Tatsuki and then force Tatsuki to commit suicide.
A parasitic Hollow that took over Kaien Shiba and was killed by Rukia Kuchiki. It respawned in Hueco Mundo and was eaten by Aaroniero.
- Artificial Human: He was an artificial Hollow created by Aizen as part of his Hollowfication experiments.
- Combat Tentacles: He has numerous dark red tentacles growing out of his back that he can use to destroy a Soul Reaper's Zanpakuto and take over prey.
- Eye Scream: His eyes too deepset for most panels to show the glowing eyes inside, but once he takes over Kaien, Kaien's eyes become empty sockets that only occasionally displaying the deepset glow. However, there's liquid all around the edges of Kaien's eyes, suggesting his own eyeballs exploded as the Hollow took him over.
- Facial Markings: Metastacia had red flame-like markings on his mask.
- Grand Theft Me: He is capable of taking over his victims' bodies and slowly eating them from the inside-out. This merged his and Kaien's bodies together, and as he stated it was impossible to separate two fused spirit bodies, they would be fused together until Metastacia finished eating him.
- Karmic Death: A Hollow that assimilates and consumes his victims met his end being eaten by a more powerful Hollow with similar powers.
- Meaningful Name: Reminiscent of metastasis, cancer that grows and consumes its host from within and spreads to other areas of the body.
- Resurrective Immortality: If killed, he will simply respawn in Hueco Mundo. Unfortunately for him, he was eaten and assimilated by Aaroniero.
- Touch of Death: If a Soul Reaper were to touch Metastacia's tentacles, their Zanpakuto would be destroyed, making them an easy target. This ability was limited to one use per day.
- Transformation of the Possessed: As shown when he possessed Kaien, his host's skin turns green with red facial marks, black eyes and numerous tentacles sprouting from their body and mouth.
A massive Hollow capable of spawning Gillians. It is treated as a pet by Wonderweiss, who is devastated when it is killed.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: It first appears to rescue Aizen, Gin, and Tosen from Soul Society, but all that can be seen of it is its eye.
- Cyclops: It was a towering giant with a single massive eye.
- Enemy Summoner: It can vomit hordes of Gillian Menos.
- Femme Fatalons: It has Gillian masks for fingernails.
Hollow Ichigo"Help... her... Must... protect... her... Help her... I must... I will... protect her..."
The form Ichigo assumes when he loses control of his Hollow powers through being on the brink of defeat, extreme rage, or because his Inner Hollow wants to intervene. It was first seen when Ichigo undertook the Shattered Shaft training and almost completely Hollowfied, awakening his Soul Reaper powers at the last moment. When training with the Visored to suppress his belligerent Inner Hollow, Ichigo completely Hollowfied for the first time, becoming a humanoid Hollow with a long tail, shoulder spikes, a wild mane of hair, and reptilian feet. He managed to regain control of himself, returning to his Soul Reaper form with the power to use his Hollow mask at will. This form appears twice more in the anime's filler, during the Zanpakuto Rebellion and Reigai Uprising arcs. When Ichigo was mortally wounded by Ulquiorra, he transformed into a completely humanoid and immensely powerful Hollow with long hair and angular, forward-facing horns in order to protect Orihime, easily defeating Ulquiorra but attacking Uryū in the process. After coming to terms with his Inner Hollow, Ichigo achieves a new Arrancar-like Hollow form with elements of his second form during the final battle with Yhwach, but Yhwach overwhelms him and temporarily strips him of his Quincy and Hollow powers, causing this form to dissipate.
Hollow Ichigo's second form has been playable in the Bleach: Heat The Soul series, Bleach: Soul Resurrección, and Bleach: Brave Souls. His third form is also playable in Bleach: Brave Souls; and for the latter's 2nd anniversary received a non-canon Arrancar form. Ichigo's second Hollow form plays a major role in Bleach Hell Verse, as the antagonists' goal is to use its immense power to escape from Hell.
Note: Tropes exclusive to the Inner Hollow can be found here, and tropes exclusive to Ichigo in his normal state can be found here.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: While during his second Hollowfication, Ichigo bickers with and wrests control of his body back from his Inner Hollow; he begins blacking out during subsequent Hollowfications and doesn't remember what happens while he is transformed, most notably during his fight with Ulquiorra. In the "Reigai Uprising" filler arc, Ichigo briefly regains control at the sight of Kagerōza Inaba - indicated by his eyes gaining pupils - then blacks out again and resumes his rampage. When no longer in conflict with his Inner Hollow, Ichigo retains control of his body when he Hollowfies against Yhwach.
- Anthropomorphic Shift: His first form resembles a bipedal lizard with Spikes of Villainy. His second form is completely humanoid with a horned helmet, bearing a striking resemblance to White. It's interesting to note that in Hell Verse, an intermediary form appears during Ichigo's final confrontation with Kokuto, possessing the horned mask and fur tufts of the second form and the shoulder spines and arm markings of the first. When in control of his powers, Ichigo's Hollow form is completely humanoid, even lacking a mask, but has one of the horns and some of the markings of his second form.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Ichigo can restore his sanity by either ripping the mask off or winning a Battle in the Center of the Mind with his Inner Hollow. His second form was defeated by Ulquiorra slicing off his horn while he was charging a Cero, causing said Cero to implode in his face and shatter the mask, which was flanderized in the Hell Chapter movie when Ichigo stopped his Hollowfication by simply snapping a horn off through sheer force of will.
- Ax-Crazy: During his fights against Byakuya, Koga and Dalk in the anime's Bount arc, the Visored, and Old Man Zangetsu in the rogue Zanpakuto filler arc; Hollow Ichigo sports a large, bloodthirsty smile and laughs maniacally while trying to hack his opponent to pieces.
- Barbarian Longhair: When Ichigo completely Hollowfies, his hair becomes long and unkempt, reaching past his waist.
- Barehanded Blade Block: When Ulquiorra tries to attack him with a point-blank Lanza del Relámpago, Hollow Ichigo catches and crushes it without sustaining any damage.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: During his training with the Visored, Ichigo fights the personification of his Hollow powers for control of his body, which rampages against the Visored.
- When Ulquiorra tries to blast him with a Cero Oscuras, Hollow Ichigo's second form counters with a normal Cero that completely overpowers Ulquiorra's attack and creates a massive explosion.
- In the filler, his first form engages in one with Old Man Zangetsu's Getsuga Tensho, which he easily overpowers as well.
- The Berserker: As a Hollow, Ichigo attacks without regard to his safety and regenerates whatever damage he does take, if he takes any at all.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Whenever he begins to Hollowfy, Ichigo's eyes turn black with yellow irises, but beneath his mask, they become Glowing Eyes of Doom. In his second form, his eyes aren't usually visible, giving the impression that they are solid black.
- Chest Burster: His first form had the ability to expel a massive worm-like appendage from deep wounds that would attempt to devour his opponent.
- The Corruption: He is the end result of Ichigo's Hollowfication taking over his mind and corrupting his heart and body.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The power-boost Ichigo gains from Hollowfying is beyond sufficient to easily trash his opponents, as Byakuya, the Visored, and Ulquiorra can attest.
- Declaration of Protection: After Ceroing Ulquiorra in half and impaling Uryuu on Tensa Zangetsu, he turns to Orihime and says "I will protect you." She's the only one present he doesn't directly attack.
- Depending on the Artist: His markings have been variously colored as black and red. The tufts of fur on his first form's wrists were initially colored white in the Visored Training and Zanpakuto Unknown Tales arcs, but were colored red like in his second form in the Reigai Uprising filler arc.
- Emergency Transformation: The Old Man informed Ichigo that his Inner Hollow only intervened during fights when Ichigo was in mortal peril or on the brink of death. During their second Battle in the Center of the Mind, the Inner Hollow states that due to his low opinion of Ichigo's combat instincts (or lack thereof), he believes Ichigo is constantly in mortal peril and thus intends to permanently take control of his body.
- Facial Markings: His first form's mask had a series of red/black strips on its left side, with their number and thickness slowly increasing as Ichigo's Inner Hollow became more powerful; but in the Regai Uprising filler arc he wears Ichigo's vertically-striped mask. His second form's mask had four black stripes, two of which extended down past his eye sockets and mouth. Ichigo's controlled Hollowfication has the second Hollow form's markings on the left side of his face.
- Fantastic Nuke: In Hell Chapter, his second form's Cero Gigante is powerful enough to create an explosive firestorm that rips through five layers of Hell, blows the gates apart, and sets the air above Karakura Town ablaze.
- Fighting from the Inside:
- When he began to Hollowfy during his fight with Byakuya, Ichigo managed to wrest control of his body back from his Inner Hollow by ripping off the half-formed mask.
- Ichigo's Battle in the Center of the Mind against his Inner Hollow was to determine which of them would control his body, which in the meantime Hollowfied and fought against the Visored. When Ichigo won, he returned to Soul Reaper form.
- In the anime's filler, Ichigo managed to take back his body when he Hollowfied during the Bount Arc and the Zanpakutō Rebellion arc, and briefly regained control during the Reigai Uprising arc.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Rips off one of Ulquiorra's arms and tries to impale him with it.
- Healing Factor: He is capable of High-Speed Regeneration, an ability normally limited to Menos-class Hollows.
- Horned Humanoid: The mask of Ichigo's second Hollow form sports a pair of forward-facing horns nearly identical to White's — fitting, as White is the source of Ichigo's Hollow powers.
- Hulking Out: Ichigo's first Hollow form is much, much bulkier and broader than his Soul Reaper or even his second Hollow forms.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Hollow Ichigo's first form fires his Cero from his hands, and the attack is powerful enough to overwhelm one of the Old Man's Getsuga Tensho. His second form's fully charged Cero — referred to as "Cero Gigante" in Bleach: Soul Resurrección — is a veritable Wave Motion Gun powerful enough to overwhelm Ulquiorra's Cero Oscuras and blow a massive hole in the roof of Las Noches. In the Hell Verse movie his second form's Cero easily burns through the Sinners' supposedly indestructible chains and creates an explosion that blazes through all five levels of Hell and destroys the Gates of Hell in one shot.
- Laughing Mad: When partially transformed, particularly when the Inner Hollow is speaking through Ichigo, he is prone to fits of maniacal, bloodthirsty laughter; though when he's fully Hollowfied he simply snarls and roars.
- Lightning Bruiser: His second form is vastly faster and stronger than Ulquiorra's Segunda Etapa form, and has yet to be defeated in a fight in the manga. In Hell Verse it's indicated that Hollow Ichigo's second form is so powerful its very existence poses a threat to the world.
- Mask of Power: Ichigo's Hollowfications usually begin with his sclera turning black and his mask starting to form on the left side of his face, with the rest of his body eventually transforming as well. It's notable that the right side of his first form's mask was incomplete, possibly symbolizing Ichigo's continued struggle to regain control of his body. When in control of his Hollowfication, Ichigo no longer has a mask.
- Mighty Roar: His response to Ulquiorra asking who he was was to let out a roar while releasing an intense wave of reiatsu.
- Monstrous Humanoid:
- His first form is humanoid with clawed fingers and toes, a long tail protruding from its back, spikes on its shoulders, black markings on its arms and tail, and tufts of fur on its wrists.
- His second form is completely humanoid but has claws, black markings on its chest, and red tufts of fur on his neck, wrists, and ankles.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range: He blasted Ulquiorra with a fully-charged point-blank Cero Gigante. Notably, it was aimed at Ulquiorra's head, but it was the lower half of Ulquorra's body that was incinerated.
- Off-Model: The number and shape of his first form's teeth and toes vary in the anime. The angle of his second form's horns seems to vary from scene to scene as well. In the Reigai Uprising arc, when Ichigo Hollowfies he's shown with his old mask design, then shown with his new mask design in subsequent appearances.
- One-Winged Angel: Ichigo's Hollow form functions as a fail-safe transformation for whenever he's losing badly or in danger of dying, or whenever the Inner Hollow decides to intervene, giving him the power to completely overwhelm opponents. In Hell Verse, it is said to be powerful enough that it could potentially destroy the world, leading to its power being sought after by the Sinners.
- Partial Transformation:
- Ichigo's first few Hollowfications only progressed as far as roughly ½ to ⅔ of his mask forming on the left side of his face before being suppressed, and it wasn't until the Visored Training arc that he fully transformed for the first time.
- When no longer in conflict with his Inner Hollow, Ichigo retains control of his body and only transforms the left side of his face and chest, and his right arm.
- Passion Is Evil: Using his Hollow mask draws out Ichigo's lust for power and battle to the point of eroding his sanity.
- Power at a Price: When fully Hollowfied, Ichigo is more-than strong enough to curb-stomp Byakuya, the Visoreds (who are all Hollowfied ex-lieutenant and captain Soul Reapers), and Ulquiorra in his second Resurrección, but at the price of becoming a near-mindless Hollow.
- Power Echoes: His voice, like those of the Visored and some other Hollows, is distorted by a warbling growl.
- Power Floats: In the games where he is playable he levitates instead of walking.
- Power Incontinence:
- The Visored told Ichigo that his inability to control his Inner Hollow and the power it embodies was what was causing him to transform, and prescribed crushing the Inner Hollow into the depths of his soul as they had done with theirs. This enabled Ichigo to use his Hollow form's mask as a power-up without fear of being taken over, but the Inner Hollow promised to return the moment he slipped up and made good on that promise when Ulquiorra nearly killed him.
- The destabilization of his powers following his use of Mugetsu is given as the reason behind his Hollowfication in the Reigai Uprising filler arc.
- When fighting Ywhach, Ichigo notes that he can't draw on his Hollow powers at will just yet, and needed to put himself in danger by exposing himself to Yhwach's reiatsu in order to wake his Inner Hollow up.
- The fear that Aizen — who created White — could cause Ichigo to lose control of his Hollow powers is the main reason that Soul Society chooses to let Ichigo return to the World of the Living after Yhwach's defeat.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Hollowfying causes Ichigo to grow a long, unkempt mane of hair.
- Roar Before Beating: His response to Ulquiorra asking who he is was to let out a spine-chilling roar and Curb-Stomp Battle him.
- Screaming Warrior: His fights against the Visored and against Old Man Zangetsu in a filler arc consisted entirely of him snarling, shrieking, and cackling while hacking away at his opponents.
- Shockwave Clap: His second form's slashes with Tensa Zangetsu created shockwaves powerful enough to demolish huge chunks of Las Noches' dome.
- Single-Stroke Battle: In the opening scene of the Hell Chapter movie, Hollow Ichigo and Ulquiorra lunge at each other in this fashion, but all that happens is Sword Sparks from Ulquiorra's talons glancing off Tensa Zangetsu.
- Slasher Smile: Sports a vicious, bloodthirsty grin beneath his mask while fighting Byakuya, Hiyori, the Visored, and Old Man Zangetsu.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Ichigo's second Hollowfication occurred when his Inner Hollow seized control of his body to help him fight Byakuya. Later, he was told by the Visored that his involuntary transformations were a result of his Inner Hollow attempting to seize control of his body. Ichigo eventually learned his Inner Hollow was the result of the artificial Hollow White integrating its soul into his own, but chose to acknowledge it as being a part of himself rather than a separate entity. When Orihime fears he's lost control when she sees his horn and facial markings when he Hollowfies to fight Yhwach, Ichigo assures her he's in control of himself this time.
- Summon to Hand: His second form uses an ability called Chain to psychokinetically retrieve Tensa Zangetsu.
- Superpowered Evil Side: As a Hollow, Ichigo cannot distinguish friend from foe and will attack anything that gets his attention; and is powerful enough to curb-stomp Ulquiorra even when not at full power.
- Sword Beam:
- First used the black Getsuga Tensho against Byakuya, and in the filler is capable of using it in his Shikai, though when fully transformed he relies on Ceros.
- In his third Hollow form, Ichigo can combine a Gran Rey Cero with his Getsuga Tensho in order to create an attack powerful enough to injure the Soul King-augmented Yhwach.
- Taking the Bullet: In the "Reigai Uprising" filler arc, he takes an attack meant for Rukia Kuchiki, to everyone's surprise.
- Talking to Themself:
- During his second Hollowfication, against Byakuya, Ichigo and the Inner Hollow bickered with each other until the former ripped the half-formed mask off, regaining control of his body.Byakuya: This twisted spiritual pressure... that white mask... Are you a Hollow?!
Inner Hollow: Who cares? I don't have to tell you anything because as soon as I finish with you, you're going to-
Ichigo: Disappear! [left hand grabs the mask and starts pulling]
Inner Hollow: Let go!
Ichigo: I don't need you! Stop interfering!
Inner Hollow: You're the one who's interfering! Don't you get it?! I was about to kill him! You will win if you just leave it to me! You fool! Damn you! [Skyward Scream as the mask is ripped off]
- In the Zanpakuto Unknown Tales arc, when Hollow Ichigo turns to confront Muramasa, Ichigo snaps that he won't let the Inner Hollow have control of his body and gouges his mask with his claws, causing it to break and reverting him to Soul Reaper form.
- During his second Hollowfication, against Byakuya, Ichigo and the Inner Hollow bickered with each other until the former ripped the half-formed mask off, regaining control of his body.
- Teleport Spam: He liberally used Sonido during his fight with Ulquiorra in order to catch the Espada off-guard.
- Torso with a View: In both forms, his Hollow Hole is located in his sternum.
- Three (four in the anime) of Ichigo's uncontrolled Hollowfications — specifically during his battles with Byakuya, the Bounts in the anime, Hiyori, and the Visored - began when his mask formed on the left side of his face. In addition, his first form only had markings on the left side of his mask, which changed as his Hollow powers matured such that the left side of his mask was black/red with thin white stripes.
- His controlled Hollowfication against Yhwach has the markings and horn of his second Hollow form manifest on the left side of his face, and his left eye's sclera turn black.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After struggling to suppress his Hollow powers for the first half of Hell Chapter, Ichigo immediately transformed out of sheer rage after seeing Yuzu had died and been claimed by Hell, and spamming Ceroes powerful enough to cause nuke-level explosions.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: When Ichigo first Hollowfies during the Shattered Shaft training, and when fighting Kokuto in Hell Chapter, he vomits out white fluid that spreads over his face and body, forming into his mask and Hollow body.
- Wave-Motion Tuning Fork: His second form charges and fires his Cero from between his horns.
- Wipe the Floor with You:
- Does this to Hiyori when she pushes Ichigo too far, almost choking her to death.
- When fighting Ulquiorra, he grabs the Espada's face and uses it to plough a furrow into one of Las Noches's pillars.
- The Worf Effect: His first form got his tail handed to him by Ōko Yushima in the Reigai Uprising filler arc.
A particularly powerful humanoid Hollow with black armor, bladed arms, and angular forward-facing horns. He was a prototype artificial Arrancar created by Aizen through the amalgamation of Hollowfied Soul Reapers, making him similar to both Vasto Lorde Menos and the Visored. Despite his name, he was entirely clad in black armor except for his white mask and hair. White fought Isshin Shiba years ago in the Human World, and was one of the reasons for his retirement. He was slain by Masaki Kurosaki, but prior to his death infected her with his soul; which was suppressed by Isshin, transferred to Ichigo in-utero, and took over his Zanpakuto Spirit — becoming his Inner Hollow.
During the final battle with Yhwach, the Quincy Emperor seemingly stripped White's soul from Ichigo due to the Hollow having been passed down from his mother along with his Quincy powers, though in Bleach: Can't Fear Your Own World White's soul was revealed to still be part of Ichigo.
Note: Tropes exclusive to the Inner Hollow can be found here.
- Artificial Human: He was an artificial Hollow created by Aizen as part of his Hollowfication experiments. His creation mirrored the method Nimaya uses to create Zanpakuto, facilitating his ability to integrate himself into a target Soul Reaper's soul by taking over their Zanpakuto spirit.
- Barbarian Longhair: White possesses long white hair — the exact length varies from panel to panel — that protrudes from the back of his helmet, and is a powerful and savage combatant who killed numerous Soul Reapers.
- Battle in the Rain: Invokes this by only coming out to hunt during thunderstorms.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: White has two sword-like appendages in place of lower arms and hands, and Isshin inwardly remarks that despite being a Hollow it's a skilled combatant.
- Call-Forward: White's battle with Isshin contains several parallels to Hollow Ichigo's battle with Ulquiorra.
- The Corruption: Once White reaches the Metastatize/Transfer phase, his Target Hollowfication enables him to transfer his soul into a target that he bites, causing said host to lose their heart and Hollowfy. Upon Ichigo's conception, White's soul was transferred to him and took over his Zanpakuto spirit to become his Inner Hollow.
- Curb Stomp Cushion: White was fast and strong enough to force Isshin, who had been shown to be powerful enough to take on Aizen without releasing his Zanpakuto, to use his Shikai.note Despite losing an arm, White was still able to overwhelm Isshin and would have killed him had Masaki not intervened.
- Enemy Within: He infested Masaki's soul with his own and tried to take over her before being suppressed by Isshin and Urahara. As Ichigo's Inner Hollow, he is initially this to him as well, though Ichigo eventually accepts him as being a part of himself.
- Evil Counterpart: Whether by accident or on purpose, when transferred to Ichigo, White's soul functioned like a parasitic Asauchi and fused with his Soul Reaper powers due to White having been created in more-or-less the same fashion as an Asauchi. The fact that he's a fully Hollowfied Soul Reaper makes him one to the Visored as well.
- Foreshadowing: After killing Grand Fisher, Isshin mentioned to Urahara that he had fought a prototype Arrancar shortly before retiring. When he later tells Ichigo about how he met Masaki, it's revealed (or at least strongly implied) that said prototype Arrancar was White.
- Gone Horribly Right: Aizen intended for White to either draw out the Visored or test a new means of Hollowfication. While he failed to do the former, the latter was a resounding success that wound up significantly contributing to the defeat of the Espada and Aizen's own defeat.
- Grand Theft Me: White's soul was integrated into Ichigo's own in utero, taking over his Zanpakuto spirit Zangetsu in the process. Further cementing this, Nimaya and Isshin make no distinction between Ichigo's Inner Hollow and White, and the reishi strings placed on White's soul kept the Inner Hollow suppressed inside Ichigo until Urahara's Shattered Shaft training.
- Grow Beyond Their Programming: Tousen states that the fact that White self-destructed meant he had surpassed the Target Hollowfication phase and went to the final Metastasize phase, but is incredulous that White chose Masaki as his host when he was supposed to target Soul Reapers, and decries him as a failure. Aizen, however, is excited to see the results of this unexpected turn of events.
- Horned Humanoid: White has a pair of long, forward-pointing horns protruding from the sides of his head. They look almost exactly like the horns on Ichigo's second Hollow form, which originated from White itself.
- Huge Holographic Head: He manifested in Masaki's Inner World as a massive spectral head and tried to eat her consciousness before being suppressed by Isshin.
- Ironic Name: His name is White due to him being a Hollowfied Soul Reaper, but his body was covered in jet-black armor. Aizen even comments on the irony of it.
- Kamehame Hadoken: White can fire a powerful Cero from between his horns.
- Lightning Bruiser: White was fast enough to dodge Masaki's barrage of Heilig Pfeil; and strong and durable enough to put Isshin — who's been shown to be capable of giving Aizen a good fight without releasing his zanpakuto — on the defensive even with his shikai activated, and overwhelm him even with one arm.
- Man Bites Man: He chomps down on Masaki's shoulder, leaving himself open to being shot in the head but transferring his soul into her in the process.
- Merger of Souls:
- The process Aizen used to create White involved merging multiple Soul Reaper souls and Hollowfying them to create an entity resembling a Vasto Lorde.
- As explained by Nimaya, one of White's intended purposes was to infect a Soul Reaper with his soul, which would take over the Soul Reaper's Zanpakuto spirit and cause them to Hollowfy. Much to Aizen's amusement, White parasitized Masaki Kurosaki - a Quincy - instead. With Urahara's help, Isshin suppressed White's soul with reishi strings, but White fulfilled his intended purpose when Ichigo was conceived by becoming his Inner Hollow.
- Monstrous Humanoid: He is completely humanoid except for his digitigrade feet and bladed hands. Isshin even assumes he's a Vasto Lorde.
- No Kill Like Overkill: White briefly ditches his fight with Isshin to vaporize an unseated Soul Reaper from the 13th Division with a massive Cero.
- No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup: White was an experimental prototype for fully Hollowfying Soul Reapers and carried a new means of spreading Hollowfication, but was more advanced than anticipated. To Tosen's chagrin, he was destroyed by a Quincy, leading him to dismiss White as a failure that didn't Hollowfy a Soul Reaper as planned. On the other hand, Aizen was fascinated by this turn of events and wanted to understand more about the consequences of this event.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range:
- He was about to blast Isshin with a point-blank Cero before Masaki intervened.
- Masaki kills him by shooting him point-blank in the head with a Heilig Pfeil.
- Posthumous Character: White was killed by Masaki Kurosaki twenty years before the start of Bleach, but his soul persisted and became a part of her son.
- Psycho Prototype: White was the first Hollow successfully created from a Soul Reaper, making him the first creature to ever resemble both Arrancar and Visored. Tosen dismissed him as a Flawed Prototype due to his inability to defeat a Captain who was only using Shikai, but he wound up being a Super Prototype whose power contributed to the defeat of the Espada.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Urahara's reishi strings kept White suppressed in Masaki's soul as long as Isshin was alive. They remained in place after White transferred to Ichigo, and were only broken after the Shattered Shaft training and Ichigo's difficult fights in Soul Society.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: The mass in White's chest self-destructed after he was shot through the head by Masaki, nearly taking her with him in the resulting explosion. Tousen observes this meant that he had reached the final phase of his maturation.
- Shoulders of Doom: His shoulder armor is quite bulky, contributing to his intimidating appearance.
- Sinister Silhouettes: He was first shown as a silhouette shrouded in an approaching thunderstorm.
- Roar Before Beating: As a Call-Forward to Hollow Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra, when Isshin asks White what he is, his response is to simply roar at Isshin before kicking his ass.
- Torso with a View: White had a Hollow hole in his torso, but it was completely filled-in by a veiny substance indicated to be the source of his Target Hollowfication ability.
- Totally Not a Werewolf: Of the "being mistaken for other monsters" subtype: Isshin initially assumes White is a normal Hollow, but notes that it feels like he's fighting a Soul Reaper when crossing blades with him. It's only when White breaks from their fight to incinerate a low-ranking Soul Reaper with a Cero that Isshin realizes his foe is more akin to a Menos.
- The Virus: Once White reached what Tousen called his "Metastasize/Transfer Phase", his Target Hollowfication enabled him to transfer his soul into another being through a bite, causing them to Hollowfy. He was intended to target Soul Reapers, but Aizen is fascinated that he chose a Quincy instead.
- Wave-Motion Tuning Fork: White charges and fires his Ceros between his horns.
- What the Hell Are You??: Isshin assumes White is a normal Hollow, but after crossing blades with it, he gets the feeling that he's fighting a fellow Soul Reaper. When White breaks from their duel to annihilate an unseated Soul Reaper with a Cero, Isshin realizes he's fighting something unknown and demands to know what White is in a horrified and outraged tone.
- Xanatos Gambit: Aizen sent White out to draw out the Visored, and failing that to test a new method of transmitting Hollowfication. Aizen succeeded in the latter in ways even he couldn't have anticipated.
- Your Head Asplode: Masaki shoots him point blank in the head after luring him in.