The main cast
The Monster Machines
Blaze is an orange-red monster truck who is good hearted, loyal and brave. As one of the main protagonists, he is Axle City's number one racer. At the start of Season 2, Blaze becomes the newest member of the Axle City Fire Department.
- The Ace: Blaze is the best at what he does, mostly in racing.
- Art Evolution: His face was redesigned post-Season 1 so that it's more realistic and fluid and less exaggerated and Off-Model, having a smaller mouth that doesn't stretch and deform as much, and the drop shadows on his lower framework were removed. He got another facial redesign mid-Season 3 as part of the new animation style, having a more Animesque face with slightly bigger eyes and a more prominent mouth. In addition, he now has taillights on his bumper, and orange trimming was added to the upper and lower edges of his sides.
- Actor Allusion: Heroic, has a best friend on his side at all times, likeable to all fans, can improvise using Blazing Speed and is a very good guy. We should compare him to Nathan Drake.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT mess with his friends. See entry below.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Rarely does he ever get annoyed, usually due to Crushers cheating, but the only time he shows true anger to date was in Stuntmania! when Crusher uses a Bouncy Boot Machine to literally boot Darington out of the Monster Dome. He was actually scolding Crusher and gave him a Death Glare.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: He does this every episode, to encourage the viewer at home to help him and AJ on their adventures.
- Character Tic: Blaze usually has his teeth showing almost every time he smiles.
- "LEEEEET'S BLAZE!!", said as a prelude when his Blazing Speed is unleashed.
- "I'm a (noun) MMMMMMMMMONSTER MACHINE!!", said whenever he transforms into a different vehicle or artifact.
- "AJ, gimmie some speed!", normally said often when he's about to take off.
- He often says "Gaskets!", "Hubcaps!" or "Lug nuts!" when excited or shocked about something.
- De-Power: Loses the ability to drive when his Blazing Speed engine is ejected.
- Demoted to Extra: In "Dragon Island Duel" and "AJ to the Rescue" due to AJ getting the main focus.
- Determinator: Blaze never gives up, no matter what. He even says so in his catchphrase throughout Race to the Top of the World.Blaze: Monster Machines never give up. We just keep on rollin.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine and Choleric.
- Friend to All Living Things: He's a friend to all the animals of Animal Island. In "The Great Animal Crown", he even becomes their ruler.
- Heroic Fire Rescue: Blaze is involved in various rescues over the series, but especially noticed in the first episode of season two, in which he becomes an official firefighter.
- Hollywood Genetics: He somehow didn't inheret the brown eyes of his father or the green eyes of his mother, instead going for Innocent Blue Eyes, which he shares with his sister.
- Hot Paint Job
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Has deep blue eyes which represent his leadership and heroic persona.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Blaze is good in what has to be needed, not just in racing.
- Lightning/Fire Juxtaposition: The fire to Crusher's lightning.
- Meaningful Name: The name "Blaze" refers to a burning fire or burst of light, or to shoot steadily, referring to his fire design and the fact hes the "fire" that "lights up" the show.
- Nice Guy: He's loyal and outgoing, and loves racing, helping others, and going on adventures.
- No Indoor Voice: He has a tendency to shout a lot.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Blaze is the only vehicle character on the show with an eye color visible, as all others have the standard black eyes. Hes also the only truck whose tire spinning animations do not line up with each other.
- Occult Blue Eyes: He has the power to transform into many vehicles or any other machine, and he has Blazing Speed. His blue eyes symbolizes the power that he has.
- Primary-Color Champion: Has a red paint job, yellow flame stickers, and blue eyes.
- Power Glows: The flame stickers on his doors glow brightly when his Blazing Speed is in use. Somehow becomes averted by mid-Season 3's Art Evolution.
- Rags to Riches: The first episode has him discover Axle City and the Monster Dome, and by episode's end, he becomes a racer.
- Red Is Heroic: Hes painted red, showing hes the shows hero.
- Red Ones Go Faster: He's probably the fastest monster truck of all the series.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blaze is the Red Oni to Crusher, but has attributes of a Blue Oni. He's down-to-earth and logical thinking, but friendly and passionate in racing.
- Signature Move/Super Speed: His "Blazing Speed" power, which can allow him to go super fast. He has to use it Once per Episode.
- Spanner in the Works: Basically whenever Crusher sends out a cheat, Blaze himself is the one who finds a way past them.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Blaze's facemold came from his father, while his sides and backside came from his mother. He also shares the same red paint as the stripe on his mother's hood, as well as his father's eye shape and hubcaps. He seems to have gotten his eye color recessively however.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Hence his name, he sports a flame sticker on his doors and steering wheel. The treadmarks on his tires are also shaped to look like wings with the tips ending in flames.
- Vocal Evolution: Blaze's voice has gotten slightly higher pitched and more youthful-sounding post-Season 1.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Blaze can transform into other kind of vehicles and artifacts to get out from troubles he and his friends get involved, mostly of them made by Crusher's machines.
Crusher is Blaze and AJ's rival and the main antagonist of the series. He is childish, whiny, egotistical, and he cheats in most episodes just to get his way.
- Asshole Victim: Not just of his own inventions, in general he's always the one to got the worst of the worst in the series. And he deserves most of it.
- Bag of Holding: Has a silver hexagonal bag on either side of his chassis, which can deploy the parts for his cheating gadgets when he needs to.
- Big "WHAT?!": Has a tendency to shout this whenever he sees or hears Blaze coming, knowing hes catching up or got past his cheat.
- Character Development: Began cheating less and less with each new season, instead showing his Anti-Hero side on occasion.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments.
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: Crusher, almost all the time. Whenever there's a race, Crusher cheats, regardless of whether he needs to or not.
- Didn't See That Coming/Didn't Think This Through: Generally the reason why Crusher's cheating comes undone thanks to Blaze. To give a few examples:
- In "Axle City Grand Prix" he uses Gabby's remote to block Blaze with several giant metal pipes. He didn't know Blaze could simply drive right through them if he finds the biggest one.
- All of the obstacles he sends out to stop Blaze in "Power Tires" are easily gotten past because Blaze sports the titular weapon which can transform into anything. Even when he breaks the bridge to Lava Island, Blaze uses the tires' Lava Power to drive right through the lava to get past him and win.
- Edible Bludgeon: Many of his inventions food as main weapons but in giant sizes, like bananas and cheese balls.
- Evil Counterpart: To Blaze. He shares his flame motif, but resembles unfilled lightning bolts, and unlike Blaze who races fair and cheers on his friends, Crusher always cheats and only cares about himself.
- Failure Is the Only Option: No matter what Crusher does, Blaze will always get past his tricks, and he will always be beaten.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric and Melancholic.
- Friendly Enemy: He is Blaze's main rival, but he does have soft moments with him from time to time, depending on the episode and situation.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Crusher can make a lot of gadgets and machines from a box of his chassis. Sadly, all his invents are only for make cheats.
- Hammerspace: The bag on his chassis seems to be bottomless, and holds an infinite number of parts for his cheating gadgets.
- Harmless Villain: Usually does more harm to himself than Blaze.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The inventions and tactics Crusher uses to cheat tend to backfire on him.
- Inelegant Blubbering: He frequently whines and cries this way whenever he loses a race or doesnt get what he wants.
- It's All About Me: He doesn't care who gets hurt, as long as he gets what he wants.
- Jerkass: Mean, spiteful, and completely narcissistic, and always whining whenever he doesn't get what he wants.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He slowly evolves into this as the series progresses, becoming less of a mean racer and more of a companion, while still retaining his grumpy persona. His cheating also became very much rare in the more recent seasons.
- Karma Houdini: He's never punished or disqualified for his cheating, and is always let off scot-free (though he tends to suffer plenty of humiliation by the end of the episode).
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: He's convinced he always knows exactly what to do, to the point where he flat-out ignores not only the warnings of others (usually Pickle), but clearly-marked instructions in favor of his own ways.
- Lightning/Fire Juxtaposition: The lightning to Blaze's fire.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: I'll/I'm gonna make/build/stop him with... (insert cheating gadget here)!"
- Odd Friendship: With Pickle.
- OOC Is Serious Business: In the climax of "Defeat the Cheat", he decides to resist cheating for Blazes sake, and with that, he actually wins the race along with him. In addition, when he crashes into an ice cream stand and gets covered with ice cream while celebrating, instead of feeling disgusted as usual, he happily enjoys it.
- Paper Tiger: Played straight, in which by his name is assumed he would crush the competition. He's not.
- Power Glows: Whenever he is about to deploy a cheating gadget, the lightning bolts on his paint job emit a menacing glow.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Crusher is the Blue Oni to Blaze, but has attributes of a Red Oni. He's overly emotional, yet he's good with building gadgets and his closest friend is Pickle.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Crusher thinks if he doesnt place first, then hes not a winner.
- Stupid Evil: He always resorts to cheating, no matter how often it fails to work. In "Dragon Island Duel", Pickle actually brought up several past instances where he cheated, but Blaze won anyway. The only thing Crusher took from that was that he needed to perform his "biggest cheat ever".
- Survival Mantra: Chants one in "Defeat the Cheat" as he tries to race without cheating.Crusher: I'm not gonna cheat...I'm not gonna cheat...I'm not gonna cheat...
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Has a lightning bolt motif appearing on his paint job and as treadmarks on his tires.
- Tempting Fate: "Blaze will never get past [insert cheat or scheme here]!" He can, and he will.
- Terrified of Germs: Crusher is not a fan of mud, food mess or anything "yucky".
- Token Evil Teammate: Comes out as this due to his utter determination to outsmart Blaze whatever it takes and that he's always a cheater.
- Tsurime Eyes: Has a narrowed eye shape that's sharp and pointed at the corners, alluding to his sneaky nature.
- Too Dumb to Live: He is a pathological cheater, never learning his lesson and always whining about losing.
- The Trickster: Being a cheater, he's quite a trickster himself.
- Villainous Breakdown: Usually has a meltdown whenever he doesn't win or Blaze gets past his cheats.
Pickle is a green monster truck who is Crusher's sidekick despite Crusher's indifference towards him. He tends to look on the brighter side of things and is quite goofy.
- Anti-Villain: He's shown to be more on the side of Blaze and friends than on Crusher's side.
- Big Eater
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: At the beginning seems just like a goof, but Pickle is just as capable as the other monster trucks. Especially remarked in "The Team Truck Challenge" episode, in which teaming Blaze shows him very useful and even faster as Blaze himself.
- Deadpan Snarker: He started entering this territory as the series went, as he starts finding Crusher's cheating not very smart.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine and Phlegmatic.
- Meaningful Name: Pickle is not just his name based on food, his appearance also resembles a pickle.
- Nice Guy: Unlike Crusher, Pickle is very nice and polite, and he enjoys Blaze and cheers him.
- Only Friend: He's pretty much the only truck who likes hanging around Crusher.
- Public Hater, Private Fan: Played with Pickle: he's on Crusher's side, which is the bad side (or at least against Blaze and friends), but he isn't bad at all. But also he's a known fan of Blaze, which bothers Crusher a lot.
- Satellite Character: Averted, while Pickle is portayed as Crusher's best friend, he has his own personality and interacts with other characters besides Crusher.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: He has small bumps on either side of his framework, and his tires have wavy treadmarks, resembling a pickle's appearance.
- This Is Gonna Suck: He often feels this way whenever Crusher is about to proceed with his schemes.
- Vocal Evolution: Pickle's voice in the early episodes was slightly deeper than how he sounds today.
Stripes is a striped truck with the abilities of a tiger such as a high sense of smell and retractable claws in his tires.
- Animal Mecha: Stripes is basically a tiger made monster truck.
- Cartoony Tail: His tail is shaped to look like a radio antenna.
- "I'm picking up a scent!", said whenever he uses his tiger sense of smell to locate someone or something.
- "Tiger claws!", said when he pops out his retractile claws before climbing.
- Facial Markings: Has black stripes on either side of his front bumper which resemble whiskers.
- Friend to All Living Things: He's friends with all the animals that live in the jungle surrounding his treehouse.
- Meaningful Name: He has tiger stripes as his main design.
- Nice Guy: He is this despite being a tiger. In fact, in the pilot episode, his first act when Blaze frees him from a Trouble Bubble is to hug him and thank him excessively. He always smiles when around his friends as well. He is even friends with all the animals in the jungle he lives in.
- The Nose Knows: His nose is just like a tiger, allows him to smell to get clues.
- Paper Tiger: A literal example in which isn't savage and ruthless like a real tiger is.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Has a tiger stripe motif which appears on his paint job and as treadmarks on his tires.
- Wolverine Claws: In Stripes's wheels, they have retractile spikes as claws that allows him to climb and get grabbed better than the other monster trucks.
- Verbal Tic: Expect Stripes to give a playful snarl before or between sentences whenever he's happy or excited.
Darington is a clumsy yet fearless blue monster truck who loves stunts.
- Badass Cape: Has a long spoiler on his back which resembles a cape.
- Blue Is Heroic: He is generally deep blue and white.
- Catchphrase: DARINGTOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Fearless Fool: Downplayed, he can be clumsy at times and his tricks can backfire but he is quite smart and not quite a "fool".
- Hidden Depths: In "The Driving Force", he was nothing but sympathetic towards Starla losing her piston and showed nothing but genuine concern for her. Indicating that he is very kind and caring towards his friends.
- Jumped at the Call: Most of his central episodes revolve around this trope, not that he minds, however.
- Incoming Ham: He usually shouts his catchphrase "Daringtoooon!" whenever he arrives on the scene.
- Large Ham: "Daringtoooooooooooooon!"
- Meaningful Name: His name refers to the fact he loves taking dares.
- No Indoor Voice: He has a tendency to yell and shout, hence his daredevil nature.
- Nice Guy: He is very nice and friendly. He even allows Blaze and AJ to join him on his tricks and stunts at times.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: "The Chicken Circus!" reveals he can speak fluent chicken.
- Star-Spangled Spandex/Symbol Motif Clothing: A monster truck example, Darington's design is mostly based on stars, even the wheels have star shapes on tires.
Zeg is a half-triceratops, half-monster truck with brute tendencies. He has a short vocabulary and tends to refer to himself in third person.
- Artistic License Paleontology: Although it can be handwaved as being sentient trucks in a modern-era, it's still jarring to see a Jurassic pterodactyl, Pliocene Mammoths, and the Cretaceous Zeg all within one episode.
- Big Fun: Oh, yeah.
- The Big Guy: He is this in a very lovable way.
- Catchphrase: Say it with us now: ZEEEEG!!!!!!
- Contemporary Caveman: Played with to heck. Zeg has the attributes of a caveman down to the Hulk Speak and dinosaur-like appearance, but he's a truck and the only 'freezing' was chronological.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Played straight in SPADES.
- The Glomp: He has a tendency to hug Blaze so hard that he struggles to breathe. However, it is all in good intentions.
- Green and Mean: Invoked and played with. Zeg is not mean but he does have some brute tendencies. He is very friendly however.
- Hulk Speak: He refers to himself in third person and has limited English dialogue.
- Incoming Ham: He usually enters this way, smashing through a wall and yelling his name.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Zeg is supposed to resemble a triceratops.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: His tires have a rock texture on them.
- Third-Person Person: He refers to himself by name, not by "I" or "me".
Starla is a purple pickup truck, a roping expert and speaks with a thick southern accent. She runs a farm outside the city.
- Action Girl: Oh, yeah. She is quite the adventurous spirit.
- Catchphrase: "Yee-haw!" and "Yippie-ki-yay!" part of her Southern background; "Hoppin' hubcaps!" and "Bust my bumpers!" when excited or shocked.
- Cowgirl: A monster truck variant, complete with cowboy hat and lasso.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Has sparkles on her lower framework and all over her hat.
- Hammerspace: She produces her lasso from out of nowhere when she needs it.
- Iconic Item: Her lasso and her hat.
- Inelegant Blubbering: She does this in the episode "The Driving Force", twice. Once when she realizes that one of her pistons is missing and twice when she grows more and more depressed over the fact she may never get her piston back again.
- Nice Hat: Her cowboy hat.
- Never Bareheaded: She is almost never seen without her trademark hat. The only time she takes it off to date was in "Race to the Top of the World" when she tips it to let out a frog underneath.
- The Sheriff: A female moster truck version.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the other female apart of Gabby, but it's the only female monster truck in the series until Watts' introduction late into Season 3.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Her hat has a sheriff's star in the center, and her tires have horseshoe designs on them.
Watts is a magenta Monster Machine powered by electricity.
- Art Evolution: Her face was redesigned a bit in Season 4, having slightly rounder eyes and her grille now has four points instead of six.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": She has a "W" emblemized onto her backseat, control panel and lower bumper.
- Catchphrase: "Electric...CHAAARRRGGGEEE!!"
- Meaningful Name: Her name comes from the term related to units of power in an electrical circuit.
- Pink Means Feminine: She's metallic pink.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Since her introduction, she appears alongside Blaze near the end of the theme song.
- Sixth Ranger: She joins the main cast late into Season 3.
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Her tires have lightning bolt-shaped treadmarks.
AJ is Blaze's best friend and driver, an eight-year-old science and technology expert.
- Art Evolution: As part of mid-Season 3, AJ's suit has more trimming and a belt buckle with Blaze's flame on it.
- Deuteragonist: Hes the second main character after Blaze.
- Child Prodigy
- Curtains Match the Window: Has medium skin, brown hair and brown eyes.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Dragon Island Duel" and "AJ to the Rescue" has AJ as the main star instead of Blaze, especially the latter.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Hes equipped with various gadgets, such as his video watch when making a call, and his "Visor View", a visor in his helmet used to see things no one else can.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: His helmet is equipped with a special "Visor View", which allows him to see an object's trajectory, weight, speed, and other scientific perspectives.
- Red Is Heroic: His racing suit is white with red trimming.
- Token Human
- Vocal Evolution: His voice got deeper late into Season 1 due to Dusan Brown experiencing puberty. When Caleel Harris took over, his voice became higher pitched again, though it got more deeper sounding by the end of Season 3. As of Season 4 when Ramone Hamilton took over, his voice retained a similar pitch like it had in Season 2.
Gabby is a knowledgeable nine-year old mechanic who fixes up the trucks when they are damaged.
- Art Evolution: As part of mid-Season 3, Gabby now has a belt buckle with her gear symbol on it and her overalls are more detailed.
- Blue Is Heroic: She wears light blue overalls.
- Goggles Do Nothing: When wearing her tracksuit and helmet, she never puts the helmet's goggles over her eyes.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Her blue eyes represent her determination and smart outlook.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only human female of the series. As of season 3, she is also a Monster Machine driver alongside AJ.
- Token Human
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Her usual hairstyle.
- Vocal Evolution: Near the end of Season 1, her voice became higher pitched with a slight squeak.
- Wrench Wench: The official mechanic of the series, even having her own repair shop.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Gabby has purple hair.
Citizens of Axle City
Bump Bumperman is the announcer of every race. He often holds a microphone and gives the audience information about whichever monster trucks are racing.
Joe and Gus are monster trucks that are Blaze's groupies.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: If well both are more than secondary characters in the series, they're enough famous to have their own toys.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Joe and Gus are friends that always are seen together. The episode "The Super-Size Prize" even shows they share the same apartment.
- Nice Hat: Joe wears a red and white baseball cap with Blaze's flame emblem.
- Non-Mammalian Hair: Joe has blond long hair with a red and white cap.
- Regular Characters: If well they aren't part of the plots nor interacting with other characters, Joe and Gus are always seen as part of the crowd, usually comment how awesome Blaze is, and appear in good part of episodes of the series.
- Those Two Guys: They're always seen together, providing comedic commentary over what's going on.
Reece and Debris are the sanitation duo of Axle City. Reece is the recycling truck, while Debris is the French-accented garbage truck.
- Happily Married: Their diecast descriptions confirm they're a married couple.
Clive is the the town baker.
Swoops is a helicopter who enjoys flying and serves as Blaze's transporter to certain faraway locations.
- Catchphrase: Several.
- "Swooooooooops up!"
Gasquatch is a giant furry hermit monster truck that lives in the forest and like a lot the mud, as well making friends.
- Catchphrase: "IIIII looooove muuuuuud!"
- Expy: Of a sasquatch.
- Gentle Giant
- Non-Mammalian Hair: Gasquatch has a full pelt of 'hair'.
- One-Shot Character: He has his own episode named "Gasquatch!" in Season 1, but also comes back in another episode in next seasons.
- The Pig-Pen: Gasquatch has a love for the mud and being covered on it.
- Sneeze of Doom: He unleashes these whenever he smells a bushel of truckberries.
Rudy is Crusher's rude friend. He speaks gibberish and is an uncooperative racer.
Rally, Dash and Fender are a trio of race cars who befriend Blaze throughout his trips to VelocityVille.
Mark Setgo is VelocityVille's grand marshall, delivering the start of the races.
The speediest (and brattiest) Race Car in VelocityVille, Race Car Speedrick will do anything to be the fastest Race Car in town.
Becky Checkerflag is VelocityVille's announcer for its various events.
Bunk is an elephant and the leader of the animals of Animal Island.
Bam is a gorilla who likes smashing things.
Nelson is a rhino who likes ramming things with his horn.
Skyler is a falcon who enjoys flying.
Burt Black N' White is the zebra announcer for Animal Island's events.
Lazard is a mean chameleon who longs for an animal power of his own and steals all the animals' powers.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of "Animal Island".
- HeelFace Turn: Invokes one near the end of "Animal Island" when he discovers his chameleon powers and apologizes to Blaze.
- It Was with You All Along: Discovers at the end of "Animal Island" that he had an animal power all along: the ability to change his color.
- Wanting Is Better Than Having: His desire to steal the animals' powers and try them out turns out to have disasterous results as the animals' powers don't suit him at all.
Wartimer and Snout are a warthog duo who served as Lazard's henchmen.
Tooks is a toucan who is skilled at Jungle Ball.