Areshia Spirit Academy
Team ScarletOne of the three teams representing Ordesia Empire.
- Battle Harem: All of the girls on the team have some level of romantic interest in Kamito.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: And how!
- Kamito is infamous as "The Demon King Of The Night" that nobody wants to touch.
- Claire is the sister of the Calamity Queen, and so is constantly bullied for it.
- Fianna is the Lost Queen, who lost her royalty status when she stepped out of line.
- Rinslet has it slightly better, as her main thing is that she is considered a country bumpkin.
- Ellis has it the least bad, although the Sylphid Knights lost members under her control.
The Hero of our story. Three years ago he won the Blade Dance as Ren Ashbell. Now, having lost his contracted spirit, he is lured to Areshia Spirit Academy by Greyworth to compete in the Dance once more.
- Accidental Pervert: The number of times he finds himself with a naked girl to then be judged as a perverted scumbag are far too many to count.
- Alliterative Name: Kamito Kazehaya
- Anti Anti Christ: As the reincarnation of the Demon King, he is potentially this. He's trying not to lose himself to his powers.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: His disguise as "Ren Ashbell" had everyone fooled.
- The Berserker: When he starts to accept the power of the Demon King sleeping within him, he becomes this.
- Bishounen: He has the body type, can pull off wearing women's clothing at 16, and is stated to be quite handsome in part because of his exotic appearance.
- Brought Down to Badass: Three years of inactivity greatly weakened his abilities as an Elementalist. However, he's still much stronger than a lot of Elementalists.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets blamed for pretty much everything, with nearly every girl in the world believing that he's a complete pervert.
- Chick Magnet: All the girls in his team are after him. Unfortunately for him, this only worsens his reputation as a casanova.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: To an extent. He flirts with girls and teases them for fun, but it doesn't occur to him that they could end up having serious feelings for him. Justified as the two women he had interactions with before were Restia and Greyworth. It's basically the only way he knows to interact with them.
- Conspicuous Gloves: He always wears gloves on his left hand in order to hide the spirit seal of Restia. This is because any Elementalist whom sees it would immediately realize that he's Ren Ashbell. He later drops it after he loses Restia's seal and his subsequent reforming of contract with her, considering he's no longer even trying to hide his identity at all aside from keeping the remaining members of Team Scarlet who are still in the dark Rinslet and Ellis hopes and dreams for Ren Ashbell alive.
- Cool Sword: He has two of them. Both of which turn into beautiful girls.
- Deadpan Snarker: Any time he isn't teasing someone.
- Declaration of Protection: He swears to protect Claire as her contracted spirit.
- Diagonal Cut: Violet Flash, a single strike so fast most opponents can't see it. Also the attack Greyworth beat him down with on their first meeting.
- Disguised in Drag: He disguised himself as a girl under the alias "Ren Ashbell" in order to participate and win the Blade Dance 3 years prior the start of the series.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: He's often weakened or wounded in some way so he doesn't immediately curb stomp most of his opponents.
- Dual Wielding: He wields both Est and Restia once he gets the latter back.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He's constantly risking his life to save girls he barely knows. Jio exploits this by gunning for his teammates, which usually leads to Kamito tanking powerful attacks in order to protect them.
- Embarrassing Nickname:
- Enemy Mine: In the 13th Volume, fought along side Luminaris Saint Leisched.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Shadow Moon Waltz, an anti-army technique.
- First-Name Basis: Insists on being addressed by his given name during his first encounter with Est.
- The Hero: He's the one who always arrives to save the day.
- Heroic Ambidexterity: He is ambidextrous, likely due to the location of their spirit marks. He always preferred to use the Vorpal Sword with his left hand, and Terminus Est with his right.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Unfortunately for him, he is subject to being called a pervert. It even spread to other countries.
- Hero-Worshipper: Much to his dismay, nearly every Elementalist of his generation views his Ren Ashbell persona as such, with the tales and exaggerations reaching the point of Folk Hero/Purity Sue levels. This is one of his reasons for not revealing his secret, even to his friends, so he wouldn't break their dreams.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Nobody mentions how Kamito wears his tie loose and outside of his suit jacket, nor is it ever explained why he does it. He makes it work, though.
- Lightning Bruiser: Back during his days as Ren Ashbell. Just about the only opponents that could give him a hard time were Elementalists with Holy Elemental spirits, as Restia, being of Darkness Element, is at a serious disadvantage against.
- Master Swordsman: Was one back in the day as Ren Ashbell. He regains his former power over the course of the series, and surpasses it when he dual wields Restia and Est
- The One Guy: He's the world's only known male elementalist.
- Only Sane Man: Is often completely dumbfounded by the antics of his friends.
- Real Men Cook: Is capable of making dishes from canned food.
- Red Baron: Was known as the Strongest Blade Dancer during his days as Ren Ashbell.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Before her defeat, Ren Ashdoll sealed her power within humanity itself and would manifest onto individuals throughout history. All have either gone crazy or were destroyed by her power. All, except for Kamito.
- Shirtless Scene: After arriving with an Intimate Open Shirt, he removes his blazer and spends the battle with Velsaria topless, save for a set of bandages. Female Gaze ensues.
- Spam Attack: Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance, his finishing move. The number of hits in the attack varies.
- This technique was designed to kill Archdemon-Class Spirits. Even nerfed as he is, few people take it and survive.
- Stock Light-Novel Hero: Kamito is the only known male Elementaler, a person who is able to make contracts with spirits. This, of course, means that he is the only boy to attend a school devoted to that craft, thus guaranteeing an Unwanted Harem. Also, he is secretly Ren Ashbell, the world's greatest bladedancer, capable of defeating just about any opponent singlehandedly once he gets serious. Further, he is contracted to two immensely powerful spirits: Est, one of the most powerful holy swords ever created, and Restia, another powerful sword which is the literal manifestation of the Goddess of Darkness.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Absolute Blade Arts techniques he learned from Greyworth.
- The Tease: Is not above teasing the girls, especially due to their lack of knowledge around men.
- Tranquil Fury: when he is truly pushed past his breaking point.
- Unwanted Harem: Oy vey. Claire, Fianna, Est, Ellis, Rinslet, Muir, Restia, and Leonora. And these are only the primary characters.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Everyone in the school assumes Kamito is a perverted ladykiller when he's actually a Clueless Chick Magnet.
- Willfully Weak:
- Despite being weakened due to his three years of inactivity as an Elementalist, he still holds back against his opponents. Justified because his true fighting style involves techniques only Ren Ashbell and Greyworth knew, so using it would reveal that he is Ren Ashbell.
- Eventually he starts using them anyway, and tries to pass it off as having studied under the same master as Ren Ashbell. It works... for a while.
Claire Rouge/Claire Elstein
A young girl Kamito meets on his way to the Areshia Spirit Academy. After seeing Kamito form a contract, she declares him her slave spirit and forces him to form a team with her. She is actually the younger sister of the Calamity Queen, Rubia Elstein, a fact which has caused her to be ostracized from nearly everyone.
Her wish is to meet her sister and discover why she betrayed the Elemental Lords and her country.
- A-Cup Angst: She has small breasts and isn't happy about it.
- Action Girl: While she isn't on Kamito's level, she is an extremely skilled combatant in her own right.
- Animal Jingoism: As represented by their spirits, Claire has a cat motif and Rinslet has a dog motif. As expected, they don't get along very well.
- Big Sister Worship: Holds her sister, Rubia, in high regard and won't stand for it when someone speaks lowly of her.
- Broken Bird: Her sister's betrayal of the Flame Elemental Lord and the resulting consequences to her parents completely shattered her world and changed the shy, timid girl into the current Fiery Redhead.
- Catchphrase Insult: "Turn into charcoal!" or alternatively, "Turn to ash!"
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Tried massaging her chest to make it grow. Kamito walks in and immediately closes the door and walks away.
- Childhood Friends: With Rinslet. The feeling is mutual, not that either would ever admit it though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Does not like seeing Kamito around other girls, whether it's Rinslet, Ellis, or even his contracted spirit Est.
- Covert Pervert: Actually reads and enjoys rather risque novels.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair and red eyes to match.
- Cute Little Fangs: She's occasionally drawn with feline fangs to go with her cat motif.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Lamentable Chest", owing to her lack of feminine assets.
- Expressive Hair: Her hair tends to flail around when she's angry. This is because Elementalists can take on attributes of their contracted spirit.
- Fiery Redhead: She has red hair and appropriately enough, has a short temper.
- Girlish Pigtails: Of the two side up variety. They fit her Tsundere character.
- Godiva Hair: Whenever she's naked, her long hair covers anything important.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: She feels she has no one to rely on, mostly because of her relation to her sister who earned a very bad reputation amongst people after her betrayal and disappearance. Despite that, Kamito sees that there are people who still care about her, such as Rinslet, though they're both too proud to ever admit it.
- The Leader: She is the leader of Team Scarlet in more than name.
- Lethal Chef: The food she cooks resembles charcoals.
- Motivational Kiss: She gives her First Kiss to Kamito so he can fight with Est at his full potential.
- Naked First Impression: Kamito first meets her when he walks in on her taking a bath at a pond.
- Naked on Arrival: She's introduced completely naked since she dropped by at a pond to purify herself before facing a spirit.
- Older Than She Looks: She's sixteen, but looks about twelve.
- Playing with Fire: Her primary element is fire.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches past her hips.
- Schmuck Bait: Rinslet tells her that if the boy she likes rubs her breasts, they'll grow bigger. Claire has an Imagine Spot of that happening. Fianna later tells her it's not true.
- Shana Clone: Fills most of the requirements of this role; Older Than She Looks childlike teenage girl, A-Cup Angst, red Rapunzel Hair tied into Girlish Pigtails, Grade S Zettai Ryouiki, literal Fiery Redhead, overly violent Tsundere, calls the main character her slave contracted spirit and is in competition with several girls for his heart.
- Shed the Family Name: Her full birth name is Claire Elstein. She changed her surname to Rouge because her family name fell into ruin after her older sister became the Calamity Queen.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: The reason she acts like a little brat is because she lost everything after her sister's betrayal, and was nearly universally scorned for her relation to Rubia. She's extremely protective of anyone trying to take Kamito away from her, fearing she'd lose him as well. Fortunately Kamito realizes this, and tries not to do anything too rash that would cause her to feel he'd abandon her.
- The Strategist: Surprisingly for her character type, she repeatedly gives out effective winning strategies.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: She's small and bosses Kamito around, claiming he's her slave contracted spirit.
- Tsundere: She attacks Kamito with her Elemental Waffe whip whenever she thinks he's being a pervert, yelling she'll turn him to ash. There's still moments in which she can open up and be sweet to him.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before Rubia's betrayal happened, she was an adorable little Moe Blob.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Rinslet, though she won't admit it.
- Whip It Good: Her Elemental Waffe. She uses a normal one to direct Scarlet in battle, and to hit Kamito.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A bonafide Grade S. Wears black thigh-high stockings? Yep. Tsundere? Check! And the Girlish Pigtails too? Got it!
A Steel Elemental Spirit that takes the form of a young girl. She was sealed within a sword and is the most powerful Steel Elemental Spirit in the world.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Especially against other swords, as Est is a Steel Sword Spirit of the highest class, most opposing swords are destroyed by her on contact.
- Accidental Murder: Est unknowingly killed Areshia Idriss, her previous master, when she absorbed all of Est's stored curses throughout the years.
- Anti-Magic: Est has the ability to completely negate and repel magic. Everything she negates is actually absorbed into herself, and once it reaches a certain point, will be transferred to her master, killing them.
- Bedmate Reveal: When he wakes up in the morning, Kamito almost always discovers Est sleeping next to him almost completely naked (almost, in that she's wearing thigh-high socks).
- BFS: Can turn into this.
- Brought Down to Badass: Due to her incomplete contract, she can't even bring out 1/10th of her true power. Just note that even in her current state, she's still fully capable of one-shotting most spirits and can completely negate all but the most powerful spells.
- It's been stated that at her full power, even the Elemental Lords were terrified of her.
- Cast From Hit Points: Her powers gradually becomes this for her master.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts like this around Restia, since Kamito is her master. She also gets upset when he kisses Claire to form a contract, and says she's within her rights to kiss him as well.
- The Dreaded: Restia mentions that even she would not dare make fun of Est if she was her original Sacred Sword self. Even the Elemental Lords are terrified of her.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: As a Steel Elemental Spirit, she naturally have a harder time against Shield Elemental Spirits. "A harder time" as in it takes a little more effort for her to cut through them.
- Emotionless Girl: She rarely shows any emotions.
- Establishing Character Moment: When she first shows up in human form, Kamito sees her completely naked except for some thigh-high stockings. Later Rinslet has Fenrir attack him out of jealousy, only for Est to then put the wolf in its place. She also ends up bending Ellis's sword after she assumes he's being a playboy with a new girl.
- Godiva Hair: She has a habit of wearing nothing but knee-high socks, with only her hair covering her body.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She doesn't get why Kamito says it's wrong for her to wear nothing but thigh-high socks. After all, her legs are clothed so she's not showing anything important. Justified because she's actually a spirit and her attitude towards Kamito is not much different than say, Scarlet treating Claire.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Due to her incomplete contract with Kamito, her memories are fragmented and she can't recall much of her past.
- Legendary Weapon: Est is potentially The Sacred Sword of Severian, the legendary sword that Areishia Idriss once used to defeat the Demon King. However, Kamito notes that there are rumors of the Sacred Sword's possible location from all over the world. She really is the Sacred Sword.
- Light Is Not Good: Est certainly is good, the way her powers work on the other hand...
- Morph Weapon: Can freely change shape into any type of sword in order to suit her master's needs.
- Mystical White Hair: She has white hair to show her non-human nature and great power as a legendary Steel Elemental Spirit.
- Naked First Impression: When she appears to Kamito in human form, she's wearing nothing but knee-high socks.
- Naked on Arrival: Her human form first appears naked in bed with Kamito.
- The Needless: As a spirit, she doesn't need to consume human foods. Her desire to eat was due to the influence of her previous master, Areshia.
- Our Nudity Is Different: She considers her thighs and legs to be the only private regions of her body. She'll remove all her clothing without a second thought, but suggestions that she remove her thigh-high stockings will bring immediate reprisal for perversion, and in some cases death threats.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to about her knees.
- Red Baron: Known as the Demon Slayer.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: She has white hair and milky white skin, rarely shows emotions, has a strange conviction of nudity, is not actually human and displays Undying Loyalty for the main character.
- Serious Business: In her human form, she has no issues being completely naked other than wearing some thigh-high stockings. But if she suspects Kamito wants her to take those off, she acts as if he were asking a normal girl to strip off her underwear. He does lampshade the silliness of that logic.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Her name Terminus Est comes from the executioner's sword wielded by Severian, the protagonist of the tetralogy novel series The Book of the New Sun written by Gene Wolfe.
- Split Personality: As a result of her incomplete contract with Kamito, Est was split into two personalities. The current Est, with limited recollection of her past, and Sacred Sword Est, her past self.
- Sweet Tooth: Est loves to eat sweets. Once, she ordered and consumed all the sweets on a restaurant menu.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kamito. Her original had this to Areshia as well. As they have become separate entities, Est's loyalty is now totally with Kamito. To drive this home, she declared that if Kamito became the Demon King, then she would be the Demon King's Sword rather than betray him.
- Unholy Holy Sword: She's actually a Demon Sword. All the resentment/curses from the spirits slain by Est are absorbed by her and will eventually pass it onto her master. In the past, she unknowingly killed her previous master, Areishia Idriss and as a result, sealed herself in seclusion in order to never harm anyone ever again. Despite this, Kamito accepted Est, and upon victory in the Blade Dance, plans on using his wish to truly turn Est into a Sacred Sword.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears thigh-high socks because she by no means wants to let anyone see her legs bare.
Scarlet/Scarlet Valkyrie, Ortlinde
Claire's hellcat contract spirit. She is a spirit passed down the Elstein family.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Scarlet's Cat Girl and cat forms do not share the same memories. This is because when in cat form Scarlet only has animal level intellect. Though she does remember Kamito feeding and petting her.
- Cat Girl: Her true form is a young girl with cat ears and a tail.
- Odd Name Out: Scarlet is the only contract spirit whose name doesn't fit into the Religious and Mythological Theme Naming. Although, this is because Scarlet is just a nickname. Her true name Ortlinde is from a Valkyrie in The Ring of the Nibelung.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Scarlet is the pet name Claire gave her. Her real name is Ortlinde.
- Series Mascot: At least for the anime.
- Playing with Fire: She is a flame spirit.
- Sinister Scythe: In her humanoid form, Scarlet summons a massive crimson scythe and uses it to attack her enemy.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Is temporarily given a chaotic enhancement, which spreads to the other spirits.
The eldest of the Laurenfrost family. She's also Claire's childhood friend and her self-proclaimed rival.
- Animal Jingoism: As represented by their spirits, Rinslet has a dog motif and Claire has a cat motif. As expected, they don't get along very well.
- The Archer: Her Elemental Waffe is an ice bow and arrow.
- Childhood Friends: With Claire. The feeling is mutual, not that either would ever admit it though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't take it well when she first meets a naked Est in the same bed as Kamito, especially as the latter was clinging onto him. She even goes so far as to have Fenrir attack him, though Est quickly puts the wolf in its place.
- A Friend in Need: Despite their constant fights, she won't forgive anyone who messes with her friend Claire. Her reaction to Claire being bullied is to pull out her bow and point it at the bully's face.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and has an affable personality.
- An Ice Person: Specializes in ice magic.
- Meido: Hilariously, to her own personal maid.
- Ojou: The most high class of the Academy of high class ladies.
- Playboy Bunny: Dresses like this to cheer Kamito up after he loses Est in Volume 5. Like Ellis and Claire, who dress up as a dog and cat, she is not very happy about it.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears white tights as part of her uniform, fitting her Ojou character.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to about her hips.
- The Rival: She's always competing with Claire, be it in battle skill or love.
- Supreme Chef: Is really good at cooking. Taken Up to Eleven when her cooking is enough to summon an Elemental Lord.
- Tsundere: It's obvious she likes Kamito very much and does care about Claire as a friend, but is too proud and arrogant to admit it.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Claire, though she won't admit it. As a result, Kamito does comment that Claire, despite what she thinks, does have people who do look out for her.
An ice wolf spirit. He is Rinslet's contract spirit.
- An Ice Person: An ice spirit.
- Big Friendly Dog: Doesn't mind Claire using him as a pillow.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Fenrir's name comes from the monstrous wolf in Norse Mythology, a son of Loki, originally kept as a guard dog by the leader of the gods, Odin feared the prophesy which stated that Fenrir would devour him during the Ragnarok.
- Stomach of Holding: Can store items in his stomach.
A student at the Areshia Spirit Academy and the current leader of the academy's Sylphid Knights. A serious girl whom is charged with maintaining order and discipline to the students, as well as protecting the citizens from hostile spirits.
- Boobs of Steel: The strongest of the main (human) female cast in physical combat. Also coincidentally, by far the biggest bust.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't take it too well when she first runs into Kamito walking around with Est. She even points her sword at him, prompting Est to bend it as if it were paper.
- Covert Pervert: At some point, it becomes pretty clear that she really wants to sleep with Kamito:"The one who changed me from a knight, i-into a woman, is you..."(in response to being pushed down by Kamito to hide from Linfa and Shao: "Oh no... B-But, th-the first time really should be done on the bed..."
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards Scarlet.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She started out as an antagonist. She's now the team member who tag teams with Kamito the most.
- Flight: Can fly due to her control over wind.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Her uniform black tights, which suits her upright personality.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail is long enough to reach her knees.
- Razor Wind: Her spear elemental waffe is capable of doing this, as even if you were to evade her attacks, you can still be cut by her wind.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Has her hair up like this.
- Tsundere: She's hostile towards Kamito and is quick to jump to conclusions when she thinks he's being a pervert, but she blushes way too easily when he's nice to her.
- The Worf Effect: Despite being noted as a strong and skilled knight, she is often either defeated or has a hard time against her opponents in order to show off the strength of their opponents.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has blue hair.
Ellis's contract spirit.
- Blade on a Stick: Transforms into a spear as an elemental waffe.
- Blow You Away: A wind spirit.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The name Simorgh comes from Simurgh, the mythical bird in Persian Mythology.
- Tears of Joy: Ellis usually finds other spirits cuter than him, causing him to cry when Restia calls him cute.
Fianna Ray Ordesia
The Ordesia Empire's second princess.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Described in the light novel as having black hair, but is changed to a purple color for the anime.
- Embarrassing Nickname: The Lost Queen is one to her.
- Fake Boobs: She uses breast pads, partly to hide her bloodstone, but partly because she heard men like big breasts. Kamito tells her some men like smaller ones too, which gives both her and Claire some hope.
- Forgotten First Meeting: She and Kamito actually met three years ago, but he doesn't remember until she pulls her hair back into the same style from that time.
- The Gad Fly: She really loves to tease Kamito in front of Claire to provoke the latter into getting mad at him.
- Girlish Pigtails: When Kamito met her, she was wearing twintails.
- Intimate Healing: Because Kamito's body rejects holy magic she is forced to do this when treating him. Not that she minds.
- Lethal Chef: Her cooking is terrible, but she normally adds sleeping medicine so her unfortunate victim never really notices.
- The Load: She isn't of much use in combat because of her lack of training, along with losing her contracted spirit years earlier after a fight with Claire's sister. She secretly resents the fact that she is this to her team. As a result, she's trying to secretly force summon Georgios' elemental waffe.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to defeat Claire's sister.
- New Transfer Student: She immediately transfers to the Areshia Spirit Academy the moment she learns that a "newly" discovered male Elementalist is attending, knowing it must be Kamito.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her knees.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Kamito when he rescued her in the forest several years earlier.
- Royal Rapier: Her elemental waffe, but it is not used for direct combat.
- Secret Keeper: She's one of the few people whom knows that Kamito is actually Ren Ashbell. Doesn't stop her from mercilessly teasing him about it though.
- She Is All Grown Up: Why Kamito failed to recognize her.
- Squishy Wizard: Has no actual direct combat training. She gets tired after just running for a short time and relies completely on Georgios and her friends to protect her.
- The Tease: To Kamito. Especially to Kamito.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: She tells Claire and Kamito that she lost her contracted spirit a few years back, and was hoping to win the latest Blade Dance in order to regain it. However, that proves unnecessary after her strong desire to protect Kamito from Jio Inzagi's attack recovers the spirit and allows them to defeat Jio.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
Fianna's holy knight contract spirit.
- The Dragonslayer: He is a knight spirit and specializes in fighting dragons. At least one-on-one.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Takes the form of a knight.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The name Georgios is based on Saint George, who is commonly depicted as a dragon slayer, thus the spirit's in story ability to combat dragon type foes.
- Stone Wall: Georgios has a strong defense and it takes a lot to take him down.
- Treasure Chest Cavity: He can hold items in his chest.
Sylphid KnightsAreishia Spirit Academy's knights who are made up of students. They act like a public morals committee.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her contract spirit, Cabracan.
- Drop the Hammer: Her elemental waffe, Rock Breaker.
- Braids of Action: Has them befitting a Knight.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe is an ice sword.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Has long hair in braids.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has teal colored hair.
Velsaria Eva Fahrengart
- Brought Down to Normal: After Kamito defeats her for the second time and removes the Cursed Armament Seal from her body, she ended up losing all her abilities as an Elementalist. It may be years before her power returned, if it ever will.
- The Bus Came Back: After her defeat in Volume 3, she was sent to Balsas Prison. She reappears 10 volumes later in Volume 13, being imprisoned next to Jio Inzagi and Vivian Melosa.
- Covert Pervert: When Rubia arranges for Team Scarlet to act as Kamito's concubines so he can act as a Demon King, Velsaria demands to know why she wasn't chosen for that role too, though she tries to deny that she actually wanted to be a part of it.
- Disc-One Final Boss: She serves as one at the end of the anime.
- Happily Adopted: She was adopted into the Fahrengart family and Ellis treats her like she is her real older sister.
- Powered Armor: What her elemental waffe, Silent Fortress, originally took form as three years ago.
- Power at a Price: In order to gain more power and face Ren Ashbell again, she ended up using a Cursed Armament Seal. While it did end up greatly increasing her power, it also rapidly destroyed her body and altered her personality.
- Secret Keeper: She realized that Kamito is really Ren Ashbell after being defeated by her/him the second time.
- Shipper on Deck: Unsurprisingly, she ships her sister and Kamito.
- Shoulder Cannon: The original weapons of her elemental waffe.
- Single-Stroke Battle: How she lost against Ren Ashbellnote three years ago.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her anger towards Ren Ashbellnote wasn't so much losing to her, but rather because she didn't even so much as acknowledged her as her opponent.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Became this after losing to Ren Ashbellnote . The reason was due to the Cursed Armament Seal that she used on her body.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Played for Laughs. She expects Ellis and Kamito to have only held hands at most and even then, she considers that to be a swift development in their relationship. This isn't the case due to Seirei being a harem series.
Greyworth Ciel Mais
- Big Damn Heroes: In Volume 18. After regaining her memories and breaking free from Alexandros's control, she aids Kamito in destroying an Otherworldly Angel.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: At the end of Volume 14, she's being controlled by the Holy Kingdom of Lugia.
- Brought Down to Normal: Losses her abilities as an Elementalist after teaching Kamito Absolute Blade Arts-Final Form, Last Strike. At least until the Holy Kingdom of Lugia got their hands on her.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe, Storm Bringer.
- Fountain of Youth: She can turn into her younger form.
- High-Class Glass
- Red Baron: Known as Dusk Witch.
- Retired Badass: A former member of the Numbers.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Absolute Blade Arts. She was the one who taught Kamito.
The teacher in-charge of Raven Class.
- Casting a Shadow: Her contract spirit allows her to travel through shadows.
- Motherly Side Plait: Her hair style in the anime.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Being a teacher, she is smart.
Adamantine Elementalist & Demon Mirror ElementalistTwo senior students who are antagonistic to Claire. They were former members of the Sylphid Knights.
- Dirty Cop: Until Ellis booted them from the Sylphid Knights.
- Full-Boar Action: The Demon Mirror spirit became a boar with a shell when it's Elementalist was affected by the Cursed Armament Seal. Averted in the anime where it just becomes a more demonic looking version of itself.
- Hidden Depths: It is learned in the 3rd Volume that they were former members of the Sylphid Knights who were expelled by Ellis for their unknightly conduct.
- The Marvelous Deer: The Adamantine spirit became this when it's Elementalist was affected by the Cursed Armament Seal.
- Averted in the anime where it just becomes a more demonic looking version of itself.
- No Name Given: Both are only identified by their contract spirits.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The anime gives the Adamantine Elementalist long lavender hair and the the Demon Mirror Elementalist short lime hair.
NumbersThe Twelve Knight Generals of the Ordesia Empire.
Lurie Lizaldia / Yggdra
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She at first seem nice and kind, but in reality is a traitor.
- Blood Magic: Her contract spirit's elemental waffe, Mournblade, can take in it's user's blood to strengthen itself.
- Cool Sword: The elemental waffe of one of her contract spirits, Mournblade.
- Fallen Hero: She was once idealistic about using her healing magic to help others, but saw that everyone she saved would end up rejoining the battlefield, leading to more death. She won the Blade Dance in order to wish for world peace, but found that the Elemental Lords couldn't grant her wish, causing her to be recruited by Alexandros.
- The Medic: Is the highest ranked healer.
- Red Baron: Known as, Lurie the Miraculous.
- Taking You with Me: After losing to Kamito a second time, she detonates a spirit crystal to destroy the Demon King's Tomb.
- The Gunslinger: Uses guns to fire spirit crystals.
- Boyish Short Hair: Has short hair and often disguised as a boy on missions since normally there are no male Elementalists.
Dunei LampertAn Elementalist who contracted with an earth spirit. She is the current #4 of the Numbers.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has a contract with an earth spirit.
Leschkir HirschkiltA gravity Elementalist who is #3.
- The Mole: Like Lurie, she's working for the Holy Kingdom of Lugia.
- Sadist: She enjoys using her gravity to torture others.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Is loyal to the emperor of Ordesia.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Her Elemental Waffe is this combined with Power Fist.
Ordesia Royal Family
Fianna Ray Ordesia
Arneus Ray OrdesiaThe Ordesia Empire's first prince.
- Despotism Justifies the Means: He's willing to side with Lugia if it means getting crowned.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Despite his arrogance, it's repeatedly stated that the Holy Kingdom of Lugia is the one in control while he's relatively unimportant as an antagonist.
Linnea Ray OrdesiaThe Ordesia Empire's first princess.
Elstein Duke Family
Rubia ElsteinThe eldest daughter of the family.
The youngest daughter of the family.
- Shipper on Deck: Calls Kamito "onii-sama" because she believes that he'll get married to Rinslet.
Judia LaurenfrostThe second daughter of the family. She was frozen in ice by the Water Elemental Lord.
- Demonic Possession: Got infected with Otherworldly Darkness and the reason Iseria Seaward froze her.
CarolRinslet's personal maid.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She is extremely clumsy that she isn't good at her job but its okay since she is cute.
Knights of the Dragon Emperor
An Elementalist of Dracunia, and leader of the Knights of the Dragon Emperor.
- The Berserker: When her Dragon's Blood activates, she starts losing control and thirsts for battle.
- BFS: Her elemental waffe, Dragon Slayer, is as big as she is.
- Going Commando: Princess Maidens whom serve the dragons don't wear underwear.
- Nice Hat: Is almost always wearing a beret.
- Red Baron: The Dragon Princess.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When her Dragon's Blood activates.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Ironically, aside from Fianna, despite knowing Kamito the shortest among all the girls, she figures it out before the rest of the girls.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Kamito as one. She even ignored a chance to face against "Ren Ashbell" because she viewed Kamito as a more worthwhile fight.
Yuri El CidThe second in command of the Knights of the Dragon Empire.
- Blade on a Stick: Her elemental waffe takes the form of a halberd.
Dragon King of Dracunia/ Dragon King BahamutThe ruler of the Dracunia Empire. Formerly in service to the Darkness Elemental Lord, she supports the movement of Legitimate Ordesia.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Due to being formerly in service to Ren Ashdoll, she is willing to take in Team Scarlet after they are exile from Ordesia.
- Large and in Charge: Subverted. Her intimidating draconic form is merely an illusion, but she's still the strongest Dragon Spirit and ruler of the Dracunia empire.
- Anime Chinese Girls: All members are from the in-universe equivalent to China.
- The Four Gods: All members have contract spirits based on the Four Gods, with Linfa having the Kirin.
Linfa Sin QuinaThe third princess of Quina Empire and the commander of the Four Gods.
- Older Than She Looks: Is the same age as her companions (16) but looks like a child.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
Shao FuFour Gods' Ace.
- The Ace: The best fighter of the Four Gods.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights hand-to-hand.
- Panthera Awesome: Her contract spirit, White Tiger.
- Power Fist: Her elemental waffe, Divine Tiger Fangs.
Rao RinHakua's older sister.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Her contract spirit, Azure Dragon.
HakuaRoa Rin's younger sister.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Her elemental waffe.
- Turtle Power: Her contract spirit, Black Tortoise.
Rion SharmaFour God's scout.
Sacred Spirit Knights
Luminaris Saint Leisched
- Enemy Mine: In the 13th Volume, she fought along side Kamito still unaware that he was the Ren Ashbell that defeated her.
- Knight Templar: She will follow the orders of her nation without question. During the Blade Dance, she was ordered to kill Restia and attempted to do so, despite not knowing the reason and that doing so would go against the rules of the Blade Dance.
- Red Baron: The Paladin.
- Red Herring: Kamito would mention in nearly every volume that during the previous Blade Dance, she was by far his toughest opponent and that he's not eager to have to face her again. Even an encounter with another team from the Sacred Spirit Knights taunted him about facing her. Despite all this foreshadowing, not only do they not fight during the entire Blade Dance, they never even encountered one another until the closing ceremony. Lampshaded before Scarlet defeats her, as she expresses her dismay that she cannot be defeated here and she still needs to resume her duel with Ren Ashbell and win the Blade Dance.
- The Unfought: To Kamito in the current Blade Dance. Despite nearly every volume giving mention to her and everything foreshadowing their upcoming battle. Finally averted in Volume 20, where she realizes Ren is Kamito and challenges him in Chapter 5.
- The Worf Effect: After being mentioned as Kamito's strongest opponent, spending most of a volume defeating Restia and hunting down/curb stomping Claire, she was almost immediately defeated to show off the power of the awakened Scarlet.
- This Cannot Be!: Before being defeated by the awakened Scarlet, she expresses her dismay that she cannot be defeated now, since she still needs to resume her duel with Ren Ashbell and win the Blade Dance.
Fire Elemental Lord «Volcanicus»The lord of fire spirits. Often depicted as a warrior wielding a blazing sword.
- HeelFace Door-Slam: After being stabbed by Est, she was supposed to be purified, but she ends up reincarnating in the Holy Kingdom of Lugia, which wants to use Otherworldly Darkness for their own ends. Needless to say, her prospects look rather grim. While she isn't corrupted in Volume 17, she is bound by a contract to remain with Lugia.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She has no qualms about using her overwhelming power to boss people around, but after she is purified, she states that she valued her past friendship with Rubia.
Wind Elemental Lord «Belphal»The lord of wind spirits. Often depicted as a boy with kind eyes.
Earth Elemental Lord «Lode Gear»The lord of earth spirits. Often depicted as an iron mallet-wielding giant.
Water Elemental Lord «Iseria Seaward»The lord of water spirits. Often depicted as a woman hugging a water jug to her chest.
- Hair Antennae: Has them.
- HeelFace Turn: Since she's the first Elemental Lord to be stabbed by Est, she's also the first to be freed from Otherworldly Darkness.
- The Smurfette Principle: Is the only female Elemental Lord ever since Ren Ashdoll was erased.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
Holy Elemental Lord «Alexandros»The lord of holy light spirits. Often depicted as an aged man with a scale and bishop's staff.
- Demonic Possession: He's currently in control of Areishia Idriss's body.
- Have You Seen My God?: For some reason, he's the only lord who wasn't present at either Blade Dance.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Solomon. After the latter's failed Roaring Rampage of Revenge, Alexandros offered to revive Iris in exchange for him becoming a Demon Lord.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: After Areishia died from Est's curse, Solomon and Iris sealed his soul into Areishia's Spirit Crystal.
Darkness Elemental Lord «Ren Ashdoll»The lord of darkness spirits. Had her presence erased after losing the Spirit War ages ago.
A demon sword, she is the most powerful Darkness Elemental Spirit in the world and takes the form of a girl. She was Kamito's previous contracted spirit, but she disappeared three years ago for reasons unknown. Discovering her whereabouts is Kamito's main goal.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: She is actually the embodiment of the will of Ren Ashdoll, the Darkness Elemental Lord. Her goal is to ensure the awakening of the current vessel of Ren Ashdoll's power. ie: Kamito.
- Anti-Magic: Her black dress actually possesses powerful anti-magic properties, but is completely powerless against Holy Elemental attacks.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts like this around Est.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Zigzagged. She starts out as Kamito's contracted spirit, only to get corrupted by Otherworldly Darkness. This turns her into a Sink-or-Swim Mentor who is willing to sic all kinds of villains and rampaging spirits on Kamito to make him stronger. However, she willingly stabs herself with Est to purify herself and save Kamito from corruption.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: As a darkness spirit, she is naturally weak against Holy Elemental attacks.
- Grand Theft Me: She will eventually be taken over by Ren Ashdoll, along with the mysterious corruption that infects her.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She uses Est to kill herself so that Kamito doesn't get corrupted by the Otherworldly Darkness.
- Lady of Black Magic: She is among the most powerful of the Darkness Elemental Spirits and can use the highest levels of darkness magic.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She's brought back without her memories or abilities.
- Morph Weapon: Can fully change her shape into any type of sword in order to suit whatever her master needs.
- Red Baron: Known as the Vorpal Sword.
- Shock and Awe: Vorpal Blast, which is considered Ren Ashbell's signature move.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: The name of her Elemental Waffe, Vorpal Sword, is a phrase used by Lewis Carroll in his poem "Jabberwocky".
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: She wants to get Kamito back to his prime and accomplishes this by teaming up with or manipulating his immediate antagonists. However, she drops this role when Rubia and Laevateinn prove to be unbeatable without her and Est's combined power.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: Uses Hell Blast, the most powerful Darkness Elemental spell, for everyone including Elementalists, demons, and degenerated spirit ghosts.Kamito: Completely merciless...
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Everything shes done was to prevent Kamito from becoming the next Demon King.
- Winged Humanoid: She can sprout out black wings in her back.
"Ren Ashbell" Rubia Elstein
An Elementalist using Kamito's Ren Ashbell identity and is participating in the next Blade Dance. One of Kamito's objectives in the next Blade Dance is to figure out what she's up to.
- Big Damn Heroes: Team Inferno help Kamito and his friends escape from prison in Volume 14.
- Brought Down to Badass: After her contract with Laevateinn was severed, she lost all her ability as an Elementalist but still retained her Elstein Flames. Claire sealing the Demon King within Kamito also greatly reduced her power.
- Catch Phrase: Do you want to be turned into charcoal?
- Enemy Mine: She's made alliances with many groups that she knows have differing agendas from her and ends up getting backstabbed a lot, like with the Alphas Theocracy and Murders.
- Evil Stole My Faith: She started losing faith in the Elemental Lords after the destruction of Dylus along with countless incidents. Her faith was on the verge of shattering completely after the Flame Elemental Lord demanded Claire's sacrifice, and was completely lost after witnessing the corruption on the Flame Elemental Lord's throne.
- Fiery Redhead: Her true hair color.
- Lady of War: As the result of being the Sacred Maiden, she is automatically granted the full combat skills needed to battle the Demon King.
- Pet the Dog: She's sympathetic to the plight of the Alphas Theocracy refugees who were persecuted by Sjora Kahn, since their situation reminds her of the suffering that Elstein's citizens went through.
- Red Baron: The Calamity Queen.
- Reincarnation: She is the reincarnation of the Sacred Maiden, a power bestowed by the Five Great Elemental Lords in response to the Demon King's awakening.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: To Claire after learning the truth.
- Rescue Romance: She falls for Kamito after he saved her from Laevateinn, though she didn't realize what she felt meant.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: She gave up everything and was willing to lose both Claire and her own life in order to revive the Demon King. She succeeded, and then it's abruptly undone essentially because Claire refuses to cooperate. Then she throws everything she has at Kamito in a last-ditch effort to re-awaken him, and he kicks her ass without the Demon King's power. Jerkass she may be, but everything she had fought for was unraveled in front of her because Claire and Kamito basically said "no".
- Strong as They Need to Be: As the reincarnation of the Sacred Maiden, her strength is directly proportional to the power of the current Demon King. As the Demon King grows in power, so will her own. On the other hand, the weaker the Demon King becomes, the weaker she will become in turn.
- Walking Spoiler: She is eventually revealed to be Rubia Elstein, the Calamity Queen and Claire's older sister. She joined the Blade Dance in order to awaken Kamito as the Demon King.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She realized the insanity of the Elemental Lords along with the corruption and seeks to awaken Kamito, the current incarnation of Ren Ashdoll so that he may kill them and separate the spirits from the human world. The resulting chaos will possibly kill millions of people, but humanity would be saved as a result.
- Wild Card: While she and her group become more benevolent towards Kamito, she's still willing to work with just about anybody for the sake of defeating the Otherworldly Darkness, including Murders and Jio.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: She has a lot of Cursed Armament Seals on her body in order to control Laevateinn, which may explain her drastic descent into ruthlessness like with Velsaria.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After her defeat in the Blade Dance, Hierarch-possessed Sjora Kahn decided to silence her, but was ultimately prevented by Muir and Lily.
A former Instructional School assassin and member of Kamito's assassination team.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kamito in a Yandere sort of way.
- The Red Baron: Nicknamed "Monster" in the instructional school.
- Poisonous Person: Her contracted spirit <<Titania>> gives her power over plants.
- The Red Baron: Nicknamed "Venom" in the Instructional School.
An elementalist from the Alphas Theocracy.
A former Instructional School assassin.
- Always Someone Better: Refuses to acknowledge Kamito as the Demon King's successor.
- An Arm and a Leg: Had his arm cut off by Kamito at the end of Volume 2. He now swears revenge on him.
- The Bus Came Back: He returns 11 volumes later in Volume 13.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets this treatment when arguing with Team Inferno.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Gave these to the Sylphid Knights, as well as Team Scarlet initially.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: In the anime.
- Freudian Excuse: This may or may not be canon due to being shown in the manga. In the Instructional School, one of the instructors invested a lot of time and hope into making Jio the next Demon King. However, Kamito and Muir ended up outranking him, causing his instructor to lash out against Kamito and was forced to fall to his death as a result. After that, Jio harbored a grudge against Kamito and wanted to upstage him in order to avenge his instructor.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Refuses to believe that Kamito is better than him, as well as him being the true Demon King successor.
- I Just Want to Be Special: He wants to be the Demon King in order to surpass Kamito. In the manga, his secondary motivation is to avenge his master.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Restia inflicted this on him to prevent him from leaking info on Kamito and to make it harder to take revenge.
- Put on a Bus: Was sent to Balsas Prison after being arrested in Volume 2.
- Stockholm Syndrome: In the manga, Jio's instructor seems to treat him more like a trophy than an actual human, which is likely par for the course in the Instructional School. Despite that, this trope is in play due to the instructor raising and praising Jio.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first opponent Kamito and the others face off against that actually gives them a hard time in a fight. It takes their entire group working together to defeat him.
An Elfim merchant belonging to «Murders» who had infiltrated the Academy Town to sell Cursed Seal Armaments to students.
- The Bus Came Back: Was sent to Balsas Prison after being caught by Greyworth in Volume 3. She returns 10 volumes later in Volume 13.
- Pointy Ears: Being from the Elfim race.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has cyan hair.
An elementalist from the Principality of Rossvale whose entire team was wiped out by Team Inferno.
- Emotionless Girl: Much like Kamito before Restia came along, she considers herself a tool to accomplish a mission.
- Magical Eye: She's the holder of the Demon Sealing Eye, a special eye that can seal powerful spirits. Only descendants from certain lineages of elementalists have a chance of being born with it.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: An Emotionless Girl with a Magical Eye, No Social Skills, and a Dark and Troubled Past.
Solomon YelsionThe Demon King and the reincarnation of the Darkness Elemental Lord
- Fallen Hero: He once used his power as the only male Elementalist to protect the kingdom of Zoldia from magic beasts and rampaging spirits, but after much tragedy, the Holy Elemental Lord tempted him into becoming an insane Demon King.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Subverted. While he was responsible for ravaging the world with war in the past and his decisions ended up creating a horrible legacy for future Demon Kings, he was manipulated by Alexandros.
- Heel Realization: The shady merchant, Safian, is actually a representation of his regret, which explains why he was helpful to Kamito and Team Scarlet.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: In The Bible, Solomon is the name of a king of Israel who was renowned for his wisdom and wealth.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Amusingly, he and Jio like the design of the Demon King's Mask while most other characters are creeped out by it.
- Take Up My Sword: After his city is destroyed, he offers his ring and mask to Kamito. The latter refuses to take the mask due to its aesthetics, so Solomon instead gives it to Jio.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He tried to elope with an elf girl, Iris, but his kingdom saw that as treason and killed his new family. In response, he went to war with the kingdom, only to be captured and subjected to Cold-Blooded Torture to the point of hating humanity. Alexander then offers to revive Iris in exchange for bringing chaos and destruction upon the world, which Solomon accepted, and his first targets were the rulers and citizens of the kingdom.
- Your Cheating Heart: Despite being married to Zodia's princess, his heart ended up belonging to Iris.
IrisSolomon's contracted spirit
- Nice Girl: When she meets Kamito, she's very polite in showing him Solomon's past and invites him to live safely with his harem in the Demon King's Capital.
- Oh, Crap!: She's filled with dread when Lurie destroys the Demon King's tomb, unsealing whatever is in the coffin.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Despite disapproving of Solomon becoming a warmongering and murderous Demon King, she still followed him due to being his contracted spirit.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Iris is the name of the personification and goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the gods in Classical Mythology.
- Was Once a Man: She was once an elf and Solomon's lover who was killed, but she was eventually revived as a spirit by Alexandros.