open/close all folders
Dorea Black, Lady Potter Regent Black, Lady Slytherin, Lady Peverell
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: She gets married the day after her fifteenth birthday, and conceives twins on her wedding night.
- Action Mom: Becoming a mother to twins didn't slow her the slightest bit.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Oh yes. Dorea had to find the biggest, meanest, fiercest husband ever, and so she picks up a ruthless assassin from a Mafia Family.
- Birds of a Feather: Her husband is just as driven, ruthless and casually terrifying as her. He's only much more obvious.
- Brainy Brunette: Has jet-black hair and shows great political acumen, since she has been groomed since toddlerhood to take the reigns of two Houses.
- Cincinnatus: She inherited Wizarding Britain's rulership from Voldemort when she killed him, worked her ass off to implement sensible laws and government functions then hightailed in Sicilia to join her husband. When she's later confronted with the possibility of seizing the Vongola for herself, her previous experience as a tyrant comforts her in her refusal.
- Daddy's Girl: James was utterly wrapped around her tiny finger, and Sirius fares no better, even if he swears her antics are driving him to madness and grey hairs.
- Determinator: Oh, yeah. She activates her Flames at fourteen without help, she conquered Magical Britain after struggling with Voldemort and Dumbledore for control of her life, and now she's turning her sight on the Mafia for keeping her husband away from her. There is absolutely nothing which can stop her when she's decided. Why are you so surprised? She's a Black.
- Good Parents: Until she found her husband and rescued him, she had to raise three kids by herself - and did quite a stellar job of it, too.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: Her wardrobe hasn't been updated since the last century and she wears it like a model.
- Has Two Mommies: Gender-inversion: As James was sterile, Sirius was used as a surrogate to father a child with Lily. Then James blood-adopted Dorea as his daughter and Heir.
- Lady and Knight: Terrence Higgs pledges himself to her as a vassal to use as she sees fit. It's purely platonic and very courtly.
- Lady of Black Magic: As befits the scion of House Black, she's well-versed in the use of Battle Magic.
- Like Brother and Sister: Her relationship with Blaise who has been thoroughly disgusted to marry by his mother's, ahem, career as a serial widow. They refuse to change it after discovering she became his aunt by marriage.
- Mandatory Motherhood: As Lady Potter and Black Heiress, she must have two sons to inherit her titles. It becomes even more important when she learns she's also Lady Slytherin and her husband is the Prince of Sabina, so they need two other children.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Enforced by a Bloodline Curse, as the Black Family's founder was born out of a Dark ritual, meaning all of his descendants were Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She's the perfect Proper Lady, devoted to her family and their well-being. She's also a Black, and may every god have mercy on your soul if you decide to oppose her because she won't have any for you.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: She often uses Parseltongue to converse with her pet snakes - courtesy of being the true Heir of Slytherin.
- Statuesque Stunner: She griped about her height when young because she wanted a husband she could look into the eyes, not tower over. Her wish was granted when she met Xanxus.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Timoteo Vongola would be well-advised to find a bunker because she's quite furious about him freezing her brand-new husband solid and refusing to free him. To put it simply, she wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, she would break the marshmallows out and start to sing Kumbaya.
- This Means War!: Her reaction when Timoteo has a lethal bout of Stupidity and decides to force her husband into a mock-Ring Battle.
- The Unchosen One: She's not the subject of Trelawney's prophecy as Dumbledore believes it ( the prophecy is about Blaise Zabini) but she still kills Voldemort in revenge for the Potters and in order to stop his murderous rampage across Great Britain.
- Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!: She's Lady Potter, Regent Black, Lady Slytherin, Lady Peverell, Princess-Consort of Sabina, the Girl-Who-Lived and Conqueror of Britain.
- Young Conqueror: By right of conquest, she gains inheritance of Voldemort's possessions, which includes Magical Britain. Before her seventeenth birthday.
Xanxus Alexandro II Zabini, Principe di Sabina, Lord Potter, Consort-Regent Black
- Animal Motifs: He's often compared to a dragon because he's Hot-Blooded, possessive and kinda feral. He enjoys the similarities.
- Broken Ace: He's an utter badass of assassin able to speak many languages and the ruler of a magical nation ready to satisfy every one of his whims. He's also pretty screwed-up in the head due to his genetics (courtesy of being a Heinz Hybrid), his upbringing in a slum then as a bastard son taken as a charity case and his daddy issues. He's so aware how much he's fucked up that Dorea's determination to save him and love him plain amazes him.
- Chosen Conception Partner: When Dorea uses the wedding ritual, she sets it to send her to someone who doesn't mind to be a father - as she needs heirs to her titles. Xanxus is more than happy because he always dreamed of fathering ten children.
- Devoted to You: He never fell in love before meeting Dorea, and it's clear as day he worships the soil on which she walks.
- Disappeared Dad: He's this for Dorea's twins, being stuck in a block of ice.
- He's also on the receiving end of this trope, his birth father tried let him die with his mother in a slum.
- Enraged by Idiocy: If you are an enemy, he will shamelessly use your own stupidity against you while feeling slightly disgusted. But if you are a subordinate and Dumb, then he considers you're asking to be killed in the goriest way ever.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Courtesy of his Allure, everyone wants to jump his bones. He feels more disgusted and flustered by the attention than flattered.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: When he's finally de-iced, he missed almost six years of life, meaning that his wife is now older than him, he's a father of three kids he never saw, the Varia has been revamped and his three brothers and grandmother are dead. Ouch.
- Former Teen Rebel: The Alliance is very surprised when the violent, spiteful Varia Boss resurfaces and shows he's Happily Married and a Doting Parent to his infant daughter.
- Freudian Excuse: Oh boy. The Vongola Nono had nothing but good intentions when he claimed Xanxus as his son, but he outright screwed up his upbringing - okay, Xanxus's status as a Heinz Hybrid did complicate things, but still. And we are not touching the subject of Xanxus's biological father.
- Good Parents: His love for his wife has no rival except his love for his kids. He may be a bit late but he's a very, very quick study.
- Heinz Hybrid: He's basically half-Siren, with a Veela great-grandmother and traces of fae and Titan blood. For his human genes? Only nineteen percent of his entire makeup. No wonder he's so bad to relate with people.
- Heroic BSoD: When he discovers his true parentage. Squalo almost panics because a quiet Xanxus is a bad sign. Like, Cradle Affair-level bad sign.
- He freaks out when Dorea reveals she was barely fifteen when he married and slept with her, as sexual relationships with someone under sixteen is THE big no-no for every Mafioso.
- Hidden Backup Prince: He's actually Alexandro Zabini, son of the current ruler of the Sabina principality, and his rightful Heir by blood and magic. His birth father refused to acknowledge him as his son and tried to get rid of him because he was a bastard and not his descendant by his late wife.
- Hot-Blooded: Very, very much so. When he gets pissed, you better have to give him crockery to throw, or he will use the furniture.
- I Am What I Am: He decides to forgive himself when he discovers his Siren heritage only make him different, not monstrous.
- In Love with Your Carnage: His wife in a homicidal mood turns him on so much he outright asks her to dance with him. It doesn't seem a very thing, but for him, there's no difference between dancing and fucking.
- In the Blood: His older sister Angelique is just as much of a murderer as him. Zabinis in general are Enraged by Idiocy, ruthless and very charismatic.
- Love at First Sight: When Dorea appears in front of him, he immediately proposes to her.
- My Instincts Are Showing: He was raised as a human, but is still very much feral and had no idea why until he learned the truth about his inheritance.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Xanxus" is actually a corruption of his true given name since a toddler can't articulate properly no matter how much he tries. He actually was born Alexandro Zabini.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He's an assassin by trade and is afflicted with an atrocious temper. This also indicates his strong Siren blood, meaning he's much more feral than mundane people.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's expected to be that, and he's apparently happy to comply.
- Son of a Whore: Actually a plot point. Her mother tried to escape her life of prostitution by use of Heir Club for Men: as her son was Heir to a magical nation, she hoped to be entitled to financial safety and comfort. Alas for her, the Prince of Sabina disagreed with her plan.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Dorea pegs him as a Zabini because he's almost a look-a-like for Blaise Zabini, who actually is his nephew.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: Playing the Human Popsicle while his unborn twins were growing up until they reached five years old means he logically should have sired them at eleven, almost twelve years old.
- Terse Talker: Very much favors nonverbal communication due to his Creature inheritance.
- Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!: He's the Varia Boss, Principe di Sabina, Lord Potter, Consort-Regent Black and Consort Kyne.
- Troubled, but Cute: He's drop-dead handsome, utterly screwed up by his upbringing and so devoted to his wife it will give you cavities.
- Unexpected Successor: No one amongst the Zabini would have imagined their Prince would have fathered a son - and in spite of his illegitimacy, being male means he's the rightful and uncontestable Heir and future Prince.
- Walking Spoiler
- Attention Whore: Very Downplayed; he likes attention fine when it comes from Dorea, but other people's makes him plain uncomfortable, which many Mafiosi note as very unusual for a Lightning.
- Berserk Button: As a true Knight, he won't stand for anything threatening or disparaging his Lady.
- The Blacksmith: After an apprenticeship with Talbot, he's skilled enough to take commands as a ringsmith.
- Born in the Wrong Century: His courtly love for his lady liege wouldn't have been out of place in King Arthur's Camelot.
- Devoted to You: In a totally non-sexual manner for Dorea, as he swears to spend his entire life to serve her.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: As surprising as it seems, he really has zero interest in romancing or sleeping with Dorea. He only wants to be useful to her.
- Lady and Knight: Yup. He would do anything for Dorea and doesn't expect a reward for his loyalty. His middle name is even Galahad, for God's sake.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: He utterly baffles the Vongola by being a non-brainwashed, non-attention-seeking Lightning.
- The Stoic: Outright infuriates the Vongola by being a 'green brick wall'.
- Troll: The Varia suspects him to be this, as he likes to sing and his watchers find themselves unable to forget the songs afterward, leading them to wonder if the Hardness property can make a tune Hard to forget.
- Undying Loyalty: As typical for a Lightning Flame-User, he chose to devote his entire life to one person.
- Villain Respect: His Curb-Stomp Battle against two of Don Nono's Guardians made him a legend amongst the Vongola. He's quite disturbed by the attention.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Actually green. And Justified because he's testing the newest hair dye produced by the Prewett twins.
- Becoming the Mask: When he entered at the Vongola's as a servant, he certainly didn't expect to grow fond of Daniela Vongola and consider her as an honorary grandmother. When she dies, he's genuinely heartbroken.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: He's the kind of guy who loves books and silence. He's also the guy who drove Umbridge clinically insane.
- Genius Bonus: In-Universe, his paintings are heavy in (mainly mythological) symbolism related to the people posing for them.
- Mad Artist: Quite subdued, but his paintings freak the pants out of Squalo who considers him one of the most disturbing Mists he ever met.
- Master Actor: Since he went undercover for several months in the Iron Fort and managed to hide his true affiliation and Flame affinity.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She's crazy, you can't deny it. Why? Because her Mist Flames are so powerful her mind is addled without the use of turquoise jewelry to keep her slightly sane and rational. How powerful is she? She could go toe-to-toe with the Mist Arcobaleno.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She tends to use metaphors when talking, has pretty colorful tastes in clothes and needs to be explained that no, giving a Mind Rape to someone because he doesn't understand the real world is not kind.
- Crazy Awesome: When you can dump your victim in Super Mario and unleash hordes of Pokemon against your enemies, you are this trope.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: She really loves colors. And her eyes-gouging-orange roller-blades.
- Amoral Attorney: Averted, she's very big on Justice and Law being respected.
- Badass Bookworm: Very well-read. Very dangerous when she gets serious.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Greyback should have abstained from the Hogwarts Invasion. Maybe he would be still alive, or at least he would have died in a less excruciating manner - your face outright melting is not exactly painless.
- Mama Bear: If you value your sanity and your face, just stay away from everything and everyone she considers her duty to protect. Clouds tend to have explosive reactions when you threaten their Territory.
Fred and Georges Weasley A.K.A. Frank and Jerry Prewett
- Break the Cutie: When Fred gets petrified, Georges takes it hard. Even after his twin's healing, he's more reserved and not quite as eager to prank.
- Character Development: From Single-Minded Twins, they become distinct individuals. Their family is a little bit surprised by their newfound desire to distantiate from each other but complies.
- Meaningful Rename: Dorea giving to Georges the "Jerry Prewett" persona helps him to become his own person and move from being only one half of a whole.
- Single-Minded Twins: Deconstructed, as Fred being petrified outright traumatizes Georges who's unable to function by himself. When he's cured, Fred is not happy to discover his twin has grown apart from him and needs some adjustments.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She's quite irked when she watches Dorea bonding with Xanxus.
- Heir Club for Men: She was , not happy when her baby brother's birth bumped her off her place as the Greengrass heiress, meaning her parents thought she ought to settle down and find a nice husband.
- Important Haircut: Long hair is an absolute for wizarding woman fashion. By cutting her hair to a bob, Daphne showed she was devoted to Dorea above everything else.
- Les Yay: She's crushing on Dorea, but she knows it won't go anywhere as Dorea is a married woman.
- Lipstick Lesbian: A very dainty and feminine woman who explicitly doesn't date men.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Any Varia worth their salt refuses to let her demure appearance fool them, she's dangerous.
- Big Brother Instinct: Just ask Dumbledore why it's a Bad Idea to hurt or plan to harm Dorea. Oh, wait, you can't because he's dead.
- Heir Club for Men: He's considered the Heir to Sabina's throne over his mother because only male descendants are eligible to rule and still his candidature is shaky because he's only a Zabini by the maternal line. Which means his uncle is in a much more favorable position to take the crown as he's a direct descendant.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Dorea. Even when it comes to light she's actually his aunt by marriage, he still sees her as a sister.
- Making a Splash: He's more at ease with the water magic he inherited from his father than the Zabini fire-manipulation.
- Prophecy Twist: Who would have guessed Trelawney's prophecy was about him?
- Reluctant Ruler: He's not exactly wild about his status as Heir to the Sabina Principality. He's more than happy to foist the responsibility on Xanxus's shoulders.
- Royal Blood: He's the only grandson to the Prince of Sabina and presumptive Heir to the title. Until Xanxus's true parentage comes to light.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's got the Zabini type, which let Dorea identify her brand-new husband as a Zabini because he could pass as Blaise's brother. Xanxus is actually his uncle.
- Deadly Doctor: Not technically a doctor because he didn't swear the Hippocrates Oath, which means he's not beholden to the "do not harm" rule.
- Dr. Jerk: His bedside manner could really use a bit more polishing, even when he's not dead tired.
- Identical Stranger: Very much a copy carbon of Alaude, First Vongola Cloud Guardian. Due to this, he kinda looks like a blonde Hibari, even more, when displeased - something which terrifies Tsuna.
- The Medic: Officially designed this for the Varia in the Ring Battles, since he studied mundane and magical healing.
- Not That Kind of Doctor: He did study healing, but he never swore the Hippocrates Oath, something he reminds his patients to keep them quiet. Tsuna still calls him Dr. Consul out of respect.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His codename for the Varia is "Consul", and they don't bother with learning his civilian name.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He really matured since he was a snooty Spoiled Brat, even if he's quite aloof and antisocial nowadays.
- Disappeared Dad: He was falsely imprisoned in Azkaban for betraying the Potters and was released three years later, meaning he missed his baby girl's early childhood.
- Doting Parent: He absolutely adores his daughter.
- Former Teen Rebel: Was extremely unruly and wild when he was schooled at Hogwarts. After coming back to his family, he noticeably settled down and ultimately became a thoughtful Lord Black.
- Glorified Sperm Donor: Intended to become this for James since his friend was unable to sire a heir. His death forced Sirius to take custody for Dorea.
- In Spite of a Nail: He still dies in 1996 by falling through the Veil because he rushed to the Ministry invaded by Death Eaters.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: She knew using Dark Arts to destroy Voldemort's Horcruxes would kill her because of her age but hell if she would have let live a threat to her grand-niece.
- Cool Old Lady: She's dignified and a Dark Arts Mistress, a true lady from the House of Black.
- Lady of Black Magic: When she was young. Using Dark Arts when you're pushing old age will shave your lifespan hard.
- The Lost Lenore: While she was fighting against Grindelwald's forces in France, she was shamelessly courted by a werewolf named Jean-Pierre Lavarre and would have accepted his proposal if he had lived. On her deathbed, she mentions him as one of many loved ones she's going to meet again.
- Parental Substitute: She basically raised the Black Heiress by herself, and Dorea is deeply affected by her passing over.
- Nephewism: She's Dorea's great-aunt and her prime female model.
Cassiopeia and Marius Black, Heiress and Lord Black
- Beware the Nice Ones: Marius is outright sweet, well-mannered and he begs his daddy to show him how to terrify your mooks into obedience.
- Dead Guy Junior: Only Cassiopeia counts, but Marius is named after his elderly Squib great-great-uncle.
- Heir Club for Men: Marius becomes Lord Black after his Granpa Sirius' demise, as the Black Magic can only be inherited by the male descendants.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Cassie is fiery and willful, Marius is quiet and thoughtful. And of course, they're not the same gender.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Cassie has her daddy's eyes and fiery temper.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Marius is basically a mini Xanxus, only with Gray Eyes.
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born: They are born the eldest children from Xanxus and Dorea's marriage.
Hector Potter, Heir Potter
- Cheerful Child: You will coo over him.
- Fiery Redhead: Being a toddler, he throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way.
- Momma's Boy: He's very close with Dorea and throws a tantrum when his father returns because he doesn't want to share his beloved Mama with Xanxus.
- Mystical Pregnancy: He was conceived by the magical equivalent for IVF, as his father was still on ice and Dorea needed the Potter Heir to be born in Britain before going in Sicily to rescue her husband.
- Odd Name Out: He's the only one from Dorea's children to not be a Dead Guy Junior named after someone his parents personally knew.
Daniela Zabini, Heiress Slytherin
- Dead Guy Junior: She's named after Xanxus' adoptive grandmother, Daniela Vongola.
- Heir Club for Men: Inverted, since the Slytherin lineage is matrilineal. As such, only a girl can inherit the Family Magic.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Able to converse in Parseltongue when she's only five weeks old.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Most certainly, as a witch has a very difficult time trying to conceive after her firstborn's birth. It's actually because conception becomes harder after the Heir's birth, and wizarding families have one single line to protect. But since Dorea and Xanxus have four bloodlines between them...
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Dorea shoot him from behind while he's observing his Death Eaters attacking Hogwarts.
- Evil Is Petty: He's hell-bent on killing Dorea only because she was there when Lily Potter destroyed him.
- Not So Different: Dorea muses he's just like Dumbledore in the fact that he's a stubborn old man who doesn't know anything about real power, hell-bent on making her life complicated.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He's treated as nothing more than an eyesore and irritating nuisance by Dorea and Voldemort alike, both being more preoccupated by killing each other.
- Cassandra Truth: There really was a child present on the scene of Voldemort's first death, but nobody would believe it due to a Veritaserum-influenced Sirius confessing the Potters didn't have a child.
- When Voldemort comes back, he immediately announces it... and his followers are the only ones to believe him because of his total lack of proof.
- Control Freak: He has shades of this, as he does his best to control everything around him.
- Dramatic Irony: He did succeed to make the prophecy come true, but it never was about Voldemort's downfall, it was about his. And he did it by harassing and threatening the girl he believed to be the Child of Prophecy, leading her surrogate big brother to murder him for protecting her.
- The Obi-Wannabe: He considers himself as Rose Potter's mentor who will guide her to her fate of Messianic Archetype and Sacrificial Lamb. Dorea and her party consider him a bloody nuisance.
- Prophecy Twist: He never thought his actions could be considered "bad", making him eligible for the qualification of Dark Lord and as such the subject of Trelawney's prediction.
- Speak Ill of the Dead: Blaise launches himself in a grand investigation to unearth all of his shameful secrets and publishes it to irremediably ruin his name and legacy. Never mess with a Zabini, folks.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Due to his obsession with Trelawney's prophecy, he seeks to find "Rose Potter" and shape her into a Messianic Archetype who would destroy Voldemort. When he concludes Dorea Black is her, he does his best to gain her trust and control her actions. He fails miserably.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He thinks he's The Mentor to Rose Potter's Messianic Archetype who will groom her as a Sacrificial Lamb and ensure Voldemort's downfall. He's actually quite a load for Dorea who has nothing but contempt for him, seeing him as a blundering fool.
Barty Crouch Jr
- Blue and Orange Morality: He really likes Dorea as a person, and has no compunction about trying to murder her because that's what his Master wants. Also, he easily switches to Dorea's side when she finally kills his Master, because the right of Conquest means he's now her thrall, so he will serve her just as loyally and happily.
- Happiness in Slavery: His mind and sanity were so broken by Azkaban and a decade of enslavement by his father that he literally needs the mind frame given to him by his thrall status. It's noted as disturbing by some characters.
- Miscarriage of Justice: Even worse than Sirius. He never raised a hand against the Longbottoms, he only went to the Lestrange's house to learn what happened to their Master... just as the Aurors arrived.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: When he meets Squalo, he quickly antagonizes him with his superior knowledge of languages. The shark was not happy about that, and Barty gleefully rubs salt into the wound when they meet again.
- Undying Loyalty: To his Master then Dorea.
- Abusive Parent: He's the neglectful variety for his daughter Angélique, and becomes straight-out abusive by throwing his two-year-old son in the streets for being born a bastard and not the offspring of his beloved wife.
- Evil Prince: He doesn't do many things as a Prince, but he doesn't have a clean record.
- Inadequate Inheritor: The Zabini consider him as this since he proves he's not a strong ruler by refusing to move on from his wife's death.
- The Mourning After: After his wife's death, he retired himself in her favorite castle and refused to leave it. He still discreetly went to visit prostitutes, which lead him to conceive a son.
- One Steve Limit: Averted since he has the same given name as the Vongola Nono. This is why the mind-wiped Mariella thought her son was Don Vongola's.
- Puppet King: A rare self-inflicted example, he lets his cousin rule Sabina in his stead while he gradually drinks his fortune away.
- Small Role, Big Impact: He only appears in one scene, but his actions cast a very big shadow. Mainly because of his refusal to acknowledge his bastard son lead the kid to be adopted in the Vongola Family and become the fearsome and ruthless Xanxus.
- This Is Unforgivable!: His refusal to acknowledge his two-year-old son as his Heir and attempt to let him die is seen as so heinous by the Zabini, his own grandson advocates for his death and lists the most painful execution methods for his uncle to chose.
Nicholas Flamel a.k.a. Talbot
- Composite Character: Of two background characters, here ascended to a more important role.
- Happily Married: To his wife Nellie, so much he shared his immortality with her.
- Everyone Is Related: Since his grandmother was a Potter, he's Dorea's many times removed cousin.
- Honourary Uncle: Calls Dorea his little niece, a simplification of their humongous family gap.
- Living Forever Is Awesome: Firmly believes in this, and he's not eager to die since the world still has so many surprises for him and his wife.
- Master of Disguise: Flamel looks like a snooty French aristocrat, Talbot like a crazy homeless dude. Behind both, the true man is actually The Nondescript.
- Mentor: He accepted Terrence as his apprentice in ringsmithing. He also coached Albus Dumbledore at one time.
- Really 700 Years Old: He raised Giotto Vongola - the Primo Vongola.
- Animal Theme Naming: A Tradition for the Superbi Family, but Squalo's branch uses sea-life animals. He's Shark, his baby sister Delfina and grandfather Delfino are Dolphin and his newborn daughter Stella Marina is Sea Star.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor shark often finds himself embarrassed courtesy of his friends, Boss, and subordinates. Being the Only Sane Man from the Varia is quite tiring.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Dino Cavallone nursed a crush on him for quite a moment.
- Glorified Sperm Donor: Petronilla is ready to let him visit their baby girl but makes very clear she's her daughter first.
- Only Sane Man: Let's be frank, the Varia are full of utterly, completely crazy people. You gotta feel for the shark.
- Promotion to Parent: His parents dumped his baby sister on him, so he depossessed them from their parental rights and put Delfina on safety with Vongola Housekeeping.
- Sadistic Choice: Saving his Boss or protecting Omertà? He agonizes over it for half of a decade before choosing his Boss.
- Undying Loyalty: To Xanxus.
Belphegor Prince Ramiel of Prussia
- Aloof Big Brother: Has a younger sister Suriel, whom he never met before killing his brother.
- Always Someone Better: For him, the Zabini family - the oldest magical royal bloodline in Europe - is THE model every royal should strive to emulate. That's why he bowed down to Xanxus: if the Varia was good enough for a Zabini, it was good enough for Bel.
- Batman Gambit: He perfectly played on Erica's protectiveness towards her toddler daughter to see if she was a Sky. He was right.
- Berserk Button: Traitors and snitches. Massimo really should have been more prudent about where he went to vent his frustrations...
- Break Them by Talking: Delivers a truly merciless deconstruction of Gokudera in the Storm Ring Battle. Poor guy outright wanted to die afterward.
- Heinz Hybrid: Has Water Nixe ancestry, explaining his childish cruelty and utter disregard for human life. He's also very proud of his Zabini great-grandmother.
- I Gave My Word: No matter how much he finds it stupid, if he swore something then by God he will uphold his oath.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Reduced to an adoring puddle when he sees Dorea ranting about everything she would like to inflict on Don Vongola.
- Innocent Bigot: His worldview divides people into "royalty" and "peasants". As long as you know your proper place, he's perfectly well-mannered. Dorea and Xanxus inadvertently comfort him in his prejudice by being utterly competent individuals from established noble bloodlines.
- In the Blood: His sociopathic and sadistic leanings are due to his Nixe and Fae blood. Compared to his mother - who enjoys seducing teenage girls - he's actually very restrained.
- Muggle Born of Mages: In spite of his magical ancestry, he doesn't receive a letter from one of the European Wizardry Schools.
- Really Royalty Reveal: Yes, he truly is a prince. However, his birth nation was Magical Prussia, meaning he wouldn't have been recognized as such in the mundane world.
- Royal Brat: Mixed with some shades of Princely Young Man, as strange as it seems. He doesn't bother to hide his distaste for the peasants and their obvious inferiority but will show them affability if they know their proper place. Also, he can be respectful as long as you can prove you belong to a distinguished bloodline.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: He immediately knew that Xanxus was a royal Zabini, but kept mum about it because of the Secrecy. Also, nobody asked him.
- Upper-Class Twit: Utterly convinced of the peasants' inherent inferiority. By virtue of his royal blood, he considers himself as leagues above his surroundings. He only accepts Xanxus' authority because of his Boss' even more prestigious bloodline.
- Animal Motifs: His Patronus is a rabbit. More precisely, the Rabbit of Caerbannog. You know, that cute little thing who actively kills and eats people?
- Berserk Button: A leader abusing their subordinates' trust. Xanxus had to sit on him to prevent him from inflicting an "accident" to Nonno.
- Disproportionate Retribution: A Rain named Debo tries to smuggle a rare book out of Lektor's private library. Lektor thought that turning him inside out and subjecting him to four hours of sensory deprivation was perfectly warranted since there was no physical pain involved.
- Eat the Evidence: What the Varia are convinced he did to Levi's body after killing him.
- Killer Rabbit: Looks like a meek, harmless school teacher. Is anything but.
- Klingon Promotion: Xanxus set him up for killing Levi as he needed a better Lightning Officer.
- Meaningful Name: "Lektor" is actually a pun on his appearance of a schoolteacher (a lecturer) and the possibility of him being a cannibal (emulating Hannibal Lecter).
- No Social Skills: Guy is so impaired in relationship matters he's genuinely baffled when people are freaked out over an impromptu Human Sacrifice.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Around the same height as Belphegor - a still growing sixteen-years-old boy - and a genuinely ruthless assassin.
- The Sociopath: And not even that high-functioning.
- Would Hurt a Child: Pitted against Lambo in the Ring Battles and he doesn't flinch when his Boss asks him to drive the kid to the brink of death. He actually wanted to know if killing the kid would be more efficient to freak the pants out of Tsuna and co.
- Agent Peacock: See The Fashionista. For crying out loud, her/his box animal is a peacock.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: His reaction to Massimo's murder. The wider Vongola did not appreciate and grounded him for the investigation.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Orange eyes in Medical Varia Code means he's extremely sensitive to light, making his sunglasses an obligatory accessory.
- Cuteness Proximity: The moment he sees Hector she begins to coo and beg Xanxus to allow her to babysit.
- The Fashionista: He tailors the Varia uniform.
- I Love the Dead: Apparently less frowned upon than child molesting amongst the Vongola.
- Team Mom
- The Tease: At first, when he wants to know what kind of person he meets. If he actually likes you, he will shift in Team Mom.
- Transgender: He calls himself a "he" but everyone in the Varia does the same. As he says himself, a lack of lady-parts doesn't mean he's less of a woman on the inside.
- Affectionate Nickname: When she started calling Squalo 'koi', he thought she meant it as 'lover'. When she commented that he was her 'adorable shiny fish', he realized she had just named him after the carp species.
- Dead Guy on Display: Collects mummies and other necrotic items.
- Glasgow Grin: She had half of one when she joined the Varia and had the other half done as a birthday present to herself.
- Meaningful Name: A kuchisake-onna a Japanese ghost afflicted with a Glasgow Grin who will messily murder you if you say something she doesn't like.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Oh so much. Did we precise she enjoys collecting corpses? Genuine corpses?
- Older Than They Look: Her physical appearance is ambiguous, but she's implied to have had a long-term 'career' before joining the Varia, so the actual number is still up in the air.
- Amicable Exes: After their one-month affair, he remained a very good friend to Erica.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: He would give Leo Valdez a run for his money.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A kleptomaniac with all the attention span of a goldfish, and a true master of Alteration and assassin.
- Charm Person: No matter their background, people will fall under his spell. It's implied to be an affinity inherited from his ancestress Aphrodite.
- Doting Parent: In spite of his fears about being a bad father, he's outright gaga for his baby girl.
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: Due to his uncanny resemblance to some Lanza relatives, he's assumed to be Erica's cousin. Both of them decide to maintain the lie because of politics.
- Friendly Enemy: Tsunayoshi is quite bewildered when the assassin asks him about the best ice cream flavors in Namimori.
- Happily Adopted: By the Lanza Family.
- Hereditary Curse: His ancestress Harmonia was cursed to live in Tragedy by her stepfather Hephaestus for not being his legitimate kid, and the curse held for over two millennia. Pyr put a stop to it by claiming his partner as his, symbolically adopting him and destroying his blood-relation to Harmonia.
- Hero of Another Story: One of the main protagonists for the spin-off "Parenting Is Not A Varia Quality".
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He's quite upset by people assuming he's in a relationship with his partner Pyr.
- Meaningful Name: His codename is Ancient Greek for "raving mad".
- Motor Mouth: Ye god, is he ever.
- Nice Guy: For an assassin, he's a real sweetheart.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His partner didn't even know his birth name was actually Radu Hosszu and they worked together for many years.
- Papa Wolf: Do not, ever, think about harming his daughter. You wouldn't like the results.
- Pretty Boy: Erica would have hated him for being prettier than her if he had been female.
- Sins of Our Fathers: As a descendant of Harmonia - daughter of Aphrodite by her affair with Ares - he was a victim of a Curse of Tragedy. Fortunately, the Curse couldn't latch entirely on him due to his male gender and was destroyed before it could afflict Serena.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Has shades of that with Mainomai, who's really, really scatterbrained and flighty.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Pink eyes is Medical Varia Code for his sight-correcting Alteration.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He killed his mother and was left unable of Harmonizing with a Sky due to unknown circumstances.
- Everyone Has Standards: He kills people for money, but he finds ridiculous to disrespect a woman only for her gender or to take your anger on an innocent rather than the one who offended you.
- Hero of Another Story: The other main protagonist for the spin-off "Parenting Is Not A Varia Quality".
- Handicapped Badass: He's near blind and needs Alteration to his eyes, but he will lose his entire sight in two or three decades.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Mainomai.
- Klingon Promotion: Finds himself responsible for a werewolf pack after killing their two alphas.
- Knife Nut
- Mistaken for Gay: People constantly assume he and Mainomai are partners in the romantic sense. He doesn't seem to care.
- Never Hurt an Innocent: He outright loathes the idea of causing harm to someone who didn't do anything to deserve it.
- Papa Wolf: When a Cloud decides you are his to protect, he's ready to do anything to ensure your safety.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He takes knitting as a hobby, a discovery which almost traumatizes Squalo.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Pink actually. The color is supposed to be indicative of his medical eye-related issue, but he's not the kind of guy you can trifle with and walk away with all your limbs still attached.
- That Man Is Dead: Pyr the Varia assassin feels more like him than Wilhelm Szczepaniak.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Justified because it's Altered.
- The Dreaded: No one plays games with Tyrant. Even Bel refuses to cross him.
- Klatchian Coffee: He prepares it himself. No one in the Varia wants to drink it - they're Crazy but they're not suicidal.
- Older Than They Look: For the man who formed the Varia under Ottava's reign, he's surprisingly youthful.
- Old Retainer: Again, he's Varia since Ottava's rule, and still hanging around in spite of being officially retired.
- The Mentor: For Xanxus, apparently.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: As he belongs to Housekeeping and cleaned Xanxus' room after the false coup, he knew his Boss smuggled a woman into his bedroom. He never breathed a word about it because the Vongola would have searched for the woman and probably make her life harder.
The First Generation
- Became Their Own Antithesis: The reason why Giotto wouldn't protest Dorea becoming Decima, in spite of knowing she would destroy the Vongola Alliance as it stands - he founded a vigilante organization and it became corrupt and entrenched in nepotism.
- Bi the Way: Giotto married and produced offspring but when Talbot tried to give him the Vongola Rings, he mistakenly believed it was a set of wedding rings and tried to excuse himself out of marrying his Guardians, yet never used the fact he couldn't marry another man for it. And when he came to his Rain, he couldn't find any reason to not doing the deed.
- Butt-Monkey: Lampo, who fled his father's estate by boredom, found himself embroiled with a vigilante band who forced him to fight in spite of his terror of death, and was left behind by his Sky without a word. It crosses a little bit in The Woobie territory at this stade.
- Child by Rape: Ambrogio's mother was raped when she was sixteen years old and her rapist never got his comeuppance for this. It probably played a role in her decision to leave her son behind when she married.
- Good Is Not Nice: Yes, they wanted to protect their people and stop banditry. They also gambled and burned thieves alive to set an example - which was in line for the era.
- Heroic Bastard: Giotto, naturally.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Let's say that the First Generation wasn't as virtuous and good-natured as the current Family would like to believe.
- The Mole: Alaude le Tellier actually spied on the merry vigilante band for the French Crown and never felt true loyalty for the Vongola.
- Not So Different: Giotto was abandoned by his parents, and later abandoned the Vongola when he left for Japan.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Any of them except for Daemon Spade, but Ambrogio "Giotto" Selinunte and his right-hand man Luigi "G" are the most glaring examples.
- Parental Abandonment: Giotto, since his father was a rapist and her mother dumped him with Talbot to follow her brand-new husband in Britain.
- Principles Zealot: Giotto. With no Flame lore to guide him, he fell frequent victim to Harmony of Purpose; when a Sky gets so convinced that something is right, they pushed that conviction onto their Guardians. With this pushing him, Giotto was a little bit more bloodthirsty than Vongola Hero whitewashing portrays him.
- Italy at the time was controlled by bandit gangs, so the First Generation got rid of them. This meant that the citizens now looked to Giotto and Co. to take up all governing responsibilities. Instead, Giotto jumped to his next hare-brained scheme, leaving G to pick up the pieces.
- When Giotto returned to a town to find that a long-time childhood friend had been raped by bandits during the two days Giotto was absent, Primo then slaughtered all bandits within a two-day radius.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Giotto ultimately dumped the Vongola alliance on his barely grown up half-brother because he couldn't deal with it anymore and fled to Japan.
- Son of a Whore: Luigi. His mother was so poor he didn't have a family name.
Ricardo Zabini, Vongola Secondo
- Affectionate Nickname: Giotto calls him Ricco within the Vongola ring's mindscape.
- Big Little Brother: Described with a Zabini's massive frame (180 centimeters) which hugely dwarves his underfed brother (165 centimeters).
- Daddy Issues: Since his older half-brother was a Child by Rape and Ricardo decided to leave his home quite young, he probably had this.
- Everyone Is Related: Not only he's a Zabini - and as such cousin to Blaise and Xanxus - he also is Giotto's younger half-brother.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible, pragmatic one to Foolish, idealistic Giotto.
- Heinz Hybrid: Since the Zabini Family came from Siren stock, he had Creature blood in an unknown proportion.
- Nom de Mom: Actually averted in his later life, which led to friction with his maternal family.
- Playing with Fire: Able to wield Aetna's Gift, one of the Zabini Family Magics.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Where Primo was a Wide-Eyed Idealist who ran away to Japan because he couldn't deal with the Vongola Alliance anymore, Secondo was a cold realist who managed the mafia without complains.
- Strong Family Resemblance: A very eerie one with Xanxus.
Pio Domenico Vongola a.k.a. Pessimo, Vongola Terzo
- Asexuality: Never married nor took any mistress, which was quite distressing for his advisors who worried about the succession. He nominated his nephew as his heir.
- Dark Horse Victory: His nomination as Heir-candidate was quite unexpected and as such very unpopular, but he still was one of the more long-lived and accomplished Vongola Bosses.
- Emperor Scientist: He did very much to advance the Vongola lore and equipment about Flames.
- The Nicknamer: Launched the Vongola Tradition about Naming your Guardians with a theme; his own was Catholic virtues.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Rather favored the grim "Pessimo" to his birth name.
- Royal Blood: Ricardo was his grandfather.
- Spirit Advisor: To Dorea Black, who's able to call his shade by virtue of being the acting Lady Death.
Pietro Vongola, Vongola Quarto
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Became Don by virtue of being the strongest living Sky candidate, in spite of his eccentricities.
- Body Horror: What happened to his Guardians when they tried to learn Hyper Dying Will Mode. Needless to say, the training was restrained to Skies afterwards.
- Driven to Madness: His sanity took a hit when his first set of Guardians died in rather awful conditions.
- Succession Crisis: Kicked one of these by choosing his illegitimate son by his Spanish mistress as Heir rather than his "trueborn" kids - who actually weren't his at all.
Fabio Vongola, Don Settimo
- Massive Numbered Siblings: He sired seven children, but only his daughter Daniela had the Flames to succeed him.
- Retired Badass: His rule of the Alliance was through the First World War and it took his toll on him.
- Weak, but Skilled: He used his pistols to focus and refine his Flame since it was so weak.
- Your Cheating Heart: Some of his children apparently weren't sired with his wife. She understandably wasn't pleased with that.
Daniela Vongola, Donna Ottava
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: She nagged her very middle-aged son about his sex life, complaining about his refusal to remarry and giving her more grandchildren to dote on. She also complained about her grandsons' commitment issues.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sure, she's very personable - in spite of her unrepentant trolling of the staff. She also ruled the Vongola while the Second World War was in full swing. Needless to say, these poor Nazis were unfairly outmatched.
- Cool Old Lady: Very much so.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Theo. She dubs him Accomplice and takes him as her personal attendant, while he grows to see her as his grandmother figure. He even Harmonizes with her as her last Rain Guardian.
- I Want Grandkids: She constantly berates her grandsons for depriving her of babies to spoil, and was positively delighted by Xanxus's adoption as it means she had another kid to pamper and raise. When she learns Xanxus is married and father of twins with another child on the way, she declares him her favorite.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: She's basically Dorea in her eighties, being a strong female Sky who shamelessly destroys anything standing in her way for the sake of her beloved Family.
- Manipulative Bitch: She shows herself quite versed in high-society manners and cunning while entertaining Padma Patil and co. for tea.
- Outnumbered Sibling: The only one amongst Don Settimo's children to have Sky Flames, and as such, the only one in the main line who could inherit the mantle of leadership.
- Passed in Their Sleep: After being visited by Dorea, as she subconsciously delayed her demise with her Flames.
- Retired Badass: Well, she's an octogenarian, and abdicated the seat of Vongola Boss to her son after reigning through the Second World War.
Timoteo Vongola, Don Nonno
- Abusive Parents: Nope, Timoteo, freezing your adopted son and letting him rot in your basement is not good parenting.
- Ambiguous Disorder: His blind trust in Iemitsu in spite of all the warning flags, stubborn refusal to take advice and increasingly dubious decisions lead many people to wonder if he starts to go senile. It comes to a head when Xanxus decides to abduct him to arrange for an examination, which leads to a diagnostic of dementia.
- Control Freak: Dorea theorizes he was upset about Xanxus being unfrozen by some unknown party because he didn't have any say in this.
- Even Stupid Old Men Can Be Loved: Even after being frozen and left to rot in the basement for half a decade, Xanxus can't help but mourn the father who was genuinely proud of him. And his diagnosis of dementia hits his granddaughter Erica and his guardian Visconti hard.
- Foil: To Albus Dumbledore, both being powerful old men in a hidden society relying on special gifts who have nothing but good intentions yet are The Load for a very special kid. However, while Dorea managed to avoid becoming Dumbledore's puppet, Timoteo really did a number on Xanxus' psyche.
- Knight Templar: He has opinions about the proper way to to do things and flat-out refuses to hear others disagree.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He's just so blind to what happens around him it stops being funny and straight-out plunges into horrifying.
- Manipulative Bastard: Feels no shame in setting his designated Heir in situations who will force him into the mindset Timoteo wants to nurture. He also tries to use Xanxus as a catspaw.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Dorea would very much like his head on a spike for imprisoning her brand-new husband in his basement. On Timoteo's side, he finds his new daughter-in-law too willful and ruthless for the Vongola Alliance he cultivated.
- Oh, Crap!: His deliciously satisfying reaction when he finally checks on Xanxus' prison and realizes his adopted son isn't in there anymore.
- One Steve Limit: Averted, since he shares his given name with the Prince of Sabina, Timoteo Zabini. Meaning the mind-wiped Mariella Zabini genuinely thought he fathered her son.
- Outliving One's Offspring: His three biological sons all met their ends before him.
- Parents as People: He genuinely loves his sons, but he couldn't have messed up them more if he deliberately tried. Okay, he was out of his comfort zone with Xanxus and didn't know it, but still.
- Too Dumb to Live: Too many examples to list, but the most glaring example would be forcing Xanxus to rig a Ring Battle against Tsunayoshi Sawada. Cue the wider Alliance very, very much upset with him.
Erica Lanza a.k.a. Changeling a.k.a. Svetnica
- Amicable Exes: With Mainomai, her daughter Serena's father, whom she lets visit and spends quality time with the baby.
- Big Sister Instinct: Really not happy when strong suspicions of Iemitsu brainwashing her younger brother Benvenuto (the canon Basil) arise, with her deciding to outright abduct him and take him to a doctor for deprogramming.
- Child by Rape: Her eldest was conceived this way when she was still shy of sixteen years old. Xanxus wasn't happy with it.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She's certainly more popular than her Boss at the CEDEF.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She would rather not Harmonizing with Mainomai, as he would let his Guardian duties limit him and feel forced to look after her.
- Mama Bear: The mere idea of Bel meeting her toddler daughter is enough to make her Activate her Sky Flames.
- Nom de Mom: She's known as a Lanza since she didn't have Sky Flames, a must-have to bear the Vongola name. She still keeps the name from becoming a Sky as she wants to hide her new condition.
- Puppet King: She would gladly let herself become that for Xanxus as she has no interest in ruling the Vongola. However, she knows how bad it would be for future heirs to set such a precedent and takes steps to hide her Sky Affinity.
- Refusal of the Call: She absolutely refuses to become Decima, as she knows she wouldn't enjoy it and would let Xanxus serve as her regent, which would set a precedent for following Bosses.
- Royal Blood: Timoteo's granddaughter, but unable to become Boss because she's not a Sky. At first.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She's always proper and devoted to her work. She also takes steps for arranging Iemitsu's murder and replace him by a much more suitable candidate.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's quite furious against his father for his refusal to unfreeze Xanxus and laments how it would be much easier to rule the Vongola with his trusty brother.
- Also shows himself quite protective towards his niece Erica, since she got raped and impregnated as a teenager.
- Fatal Flaw: He chases after anything wearing a skirt, which makes him vulnerable as he tends to ditch his Guardians for his sexcapades. Some characters even claim he's going to get killed by an infuriated father or brother one day. When he's murdered, that's because he fell in love with the Giglio Nero Donna, and her Storm Guardian-surrogate grandfather took umbrage to it.
- Ladykiller in Love: He slept with any female he could find until he met Aria Giglio Nero.
- Mauve Shirt: Has quite a bit of characterization before his death.
- Nice Guy: For a Mafioso, he's downright saintly, especially when compared to his older siblings Enrico and Massimo and his baby brother Xanxus. Except when he fantasizes about ordering the Varia to murder Iemitsu.
- Pet the Dog: He actually asked for his grandmother's attendant to enter in his household, knowing that the boy was suffering from his Sky's demise and refusing to let the Vongola fail another heartbroken Guardian.
- Someone to Remember Him By: After his murder, Aria decides to conceal her pregnancy in order to protect her unborn daughter from becoming the Vongola's puppet.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Because she was the Sky Arcobaleno and liable to pass the curse to one of their children, Aria Giglio Nero wasn't a good choice of wife. He still was decided to marry her and just managed to persuade her to accept his proposal... when her Storm Guardian discovered the affair and burned him alive for sullying his Sky's honor.
Ganauche III a.k.a. Lorenzo Esposito
- Attention Whore: Admits he enjoys the spotlight.
- Butt-Monkey: Don Nono doesn't seem to have very much respect for him, which makes sense since he was a last-minute replacement for his previous Lightning Guardian. As such, he doesn't tell Ganauche anything and sends him on errands when no one else important enough can be bothered without caring if the poor man already planned something for the weekend. Then the Superbi wedding happens, with Ganauche being witness to Xanxus' freedom and bearing the brunt of Dorea's displeasure. Not to mention that Odile aka Crocodile takes great delight in calling him chocolatino and making fun of him.
- Foil: Being a Mafia-trained Lightning, he nicely highlights how much Terrence is atypical for the common Mafioso. Their relationships with their Skies also wildly differ, since Ganauche didn't truly bonded with Don Nono and is generally dismissed as a newbie and unimportant, while Terrence is utterly devoted to Dorea and valued by her.
- Nice Guy: Has no qualms admiring Terrence's skills and is ready to beg Dorea's mercy for the Vongola's sake because his family would be exposed to her retaliation.
- Oh, Crap!: He's horrified when he sees Xanxus at the Superbi wedding since it means a ginormous security break.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Not even Erica - his Sky's granddaughter - knew his given name. Him asking her to call him "Lorenzo" is a sign he starts to grow away from the Ninth.
- Abusive Parents: Canonically very neglectful, and the fic doesn't bother with kid gloves when it comes to exploring the ramifications of this.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Averted, he's diagnosticated as a narcissist. Which is very, very bad for a Flame-Active.
- But Not Too Foreign: Has a Japanese father - Ietsuna Sawada - and an Italian mother - Carla Alliata.
- Happily Married: Deconstructed, he loves Nana because she validates his high opinion of himself as a "family man", and he never bothered about introducing her to his family or not cheating on her.
- It's All About Me: Since he's a narcissist, he believes the entire world bows to his supreme insight.
- Too Dumb to Live: The Varia constantly criticizes his behavior as Stupid and Dumb - yes, it deserves the big letters.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: His mother remembers him as a bright, vivacious little boy. Needless to say, she's upset when she realizes the kind of man he became.
- Hiding the Handicap: Inverted. Delfina is only ambiguously deaf, but she pretends to be so people won't think she's a threat. But when they start treating her like glass, then she gets annoyed.
- Enraged by Idiocy: As a Superbi, of course, she is. She makes no pretense that she hates Iemitsu, but when he costs her a performance in a gymnastics show via attacking the Iron Fort, causing total chaos, then she's ticked off.
- Mysterious Backer: Everyone thinks she's some talented, random orphan picked up by The Harpies. Little do they know that her big brother Squalo, second-in-command of the Varia, called in a favor.
- The Pollyanna: Lampshaded. It's only a mask to get others to lower their guard.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She might be a little, handicapped girl, but she's a Mist and also a Superbi. And she knows how to manipulate a conversation. She even managed to plant the seed of doubt as to how the Vongola is running in one of Nono's Guardians.
- Animal Theme Naming: The Superbi Family are all named after animals. Pantera is no exception; his name is Panther. But you can tell who is directly related to who by common themes. For example, Squalo's branch of the Family is all sea-life.
- Big Brother Mentor: Likes to think he is this to his cousin Squalo, but knows he's just relegated to 'weird manipulating cousin' territory.
- The Chessmaster: Takes great delight in having at least ten ulterior motives for everything he does.
- Everyone Has Standards: Don Nonno's manipulations make him flat-out blow his shit - in a very controlled manner, but there's no denying he's livid over the mess.
- Guile Hero: He's a charming political monster who majored in doublespeak. But he does care deeply for the Superbi Family and, to a lesser extent, the wellbeing and stability of the Alliance.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: Emergency weapon of choice is the array of small knives in his sleeves, which he used to kill several invisible assassins threatening his guests.
- Shaped Like Itself: Lampshaded and inverted. Pantera loves subtly acting like his animal namesake. Lying in the sun, purring, wearing pink (as a tribute to the cartoon animal Pink Panther) and stalking his enemies (but with politics and fine-print).
- Tranquil Fury: After learning the latest mess Don Nonno decided to cook, he calmly and coldly starts to plan for a coup d'état. Don't fuck with a Superbi, folks.
- Bi the Way: Very much crushing on Squalo. Xanxus considers it a proof of very good taste.
- Nice Guy: After receiving a gift basket for her infant daughter, Dorea calls him a very dangerous man - she didn't meet him and she already likes him. He also apologizes for disturbing Fay by bribing her and her husband with a sojourn in a luxury inn.
- No Social Skills: Reborn outright trampled on his manners. He can be polite and gracious, but he needs to sit and think about it.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Okay, he's The Ditz but he's no Dumb Blonde, as he refused to force Squalo into a Guardian bond and realized Xanxus wasn't taking the Ring Battles seriously.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Very much rammed for coming to see Fay without notice, disturbing her in her house while she was in her off day, and trying to pressure and menace him in front of her husband. To his credit, he's sorry for his distasteful behavior.
Tsunayoshi Sawada and associates
- Abusive Parents: Ooh boy... Tsuna did not struck gold with Iemitsu and Nana.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tsuna has less spine than wet cardboard... until his friends' welfare is on the line. Then he's ready to bargain with ruthless killers to ensure they will live.
- Breaking the Fellowship: Heading for one of these after the Ring Battles due to Tsuna's guardianship being alloted to his Italian grandma.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: For Lambo and Gokudera, the Ring Battles weren't that much a fight. It was more of a slaughter with them as the defenseless livestock.
- Driven to Suicide: Gokudera didn't fare very well after hearing Bel's "The Reason You Suck" Speech. He wasn't able to kill himself but it didn't stop him to beg Tsuna for release.
- A Father to His Men: Tsuna's Alliata blood and raising in the group-focused Japanese society ensured he would be this. He's always fretting about his friends' health and happiness.
- Foil: Xanxus muses that Tsuna is actually possessed of common sense, something Vongola Primo sadly lacked.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Let's be frank, a bunch of Japanese civilian teens have as much chance to properly manage an Italian crime empire than a snowball to live in hell. And that's without the neuroses...
- It Runs in the Family: Tsuna actually strongly takes after his Alliata grandmother - he will flee responsibility like no one's business but come hell or high water he will stand his ground for his friends.
- Loving a Shadow: Gokudera actually suffers from Sky-attraction - he's not so much in love with Tsuna as the possibility of Tsuna as a strong Boss with Gokudera for Right Hand. Bel doesn't waste the opportunity to call him out on this.
- Mixed Ancestry: Gokudera and Tsuna - the former is one-quarter Japanese by his mother while the latter is one-quarter Italian by his father.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Takeshi knows the "mafia game" isn't a game at all, but he's so desperate to be with Tsuna and not making him worry he pretended to be fooled.
- Only Friend: Takeshi is the only one amongst Tsuna's circle to genuinely make the effort to know him better.
- Only Sane Man: Lambo and Hibari. You know, the five-years-old Spoiled Brat and the Axe-Crazy Jerk with a Heart of Jerk? Well, the others are worse.
- Related in the Adaptation: The Sawadas, Hibari's and Sasagawas are actually cousins due to the lack of a Single Line of Descent.
- Stepford Smiler: Takeshi's expression is often described as "plastic" and "fake", implying he's less naive than he leads everyone to believe and rather Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: After a life of mistreatment and abuse at the hands of authority figures, Tsuna finally meets an adult who genuinely loves him and thinks him wonderful just for being himself - his grandma Carla.
- True Companions: Amazingly, Tsuna managed to genuinely bond with Mukuro and his relationship with Takeshi is nicely progressing - it's different from his other Guardian candidates because he has true common ground with them.