open/close all folders
Portrayed By: Gugu Mbatha Raw & Denise Burse
- Bi the Way: She was previously married with a husband and then gets together with Yorkie.
- Chick Magnet Dude Magnet: She has both Yorkie and Wes chasing her.
- Cool Car: She takes Yorkie out in it.
- Cool Old Lady: In the "real world".
- First Love: For Yorkie
- Friend to All Children: Charlie Brooker mentioned that a deleted scene would have shown Kelly visiting a kindergarten in San Junipero and taking care of the kids there. There would be a later reveal that those were dead children, this was removed because he thought the tone was too sad for the episode.
- Fun Personified
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple
- Happily Married: She had been married to her husband for 49 years and loved him to the end. She's this again with Yorkie.
- Lady Killer In Love: She just wants to have no-strings-attached fun, but once she meets Yorkie she falls in love for real.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl
- Outliving One's Offspring: Her daughter died before the San Junipero technology was created.
- Quirky Curls: She's fun-loving and outgoing, and, except in her 2000s persona (where her hair is straightened, and where, coincidentally, she has one of her big arguments with Yorkie), she has thick bouncy curls.
- Really Gets Around: She's determined to spend her last years of life enjoying as many flings as possible after 49 years married to the same person, especially because at first she's not planning to be uploaded, but just to die, like her husband and daughter. This changes when she meets Yorkie.
Portrayed By: Mackenzie Davis & Annabel Davis
- Abusive Parents: Heavily implied.
- Adorkable: Kelly even lampshades it.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Dresses rather plainly but otherwise quite feminine.
- Driven to Suicide: Zig-zagged, she's been trapped in a coma for her entire adult life, and seeks euthanasia in order to "move" to San Junipero, where, ironically, she can have a fuller life.
- Fish out of Water: Appears to be one reason why Kelly likes her. Yorkie doesnt dress or act like most of the other people in San Junipero. In a town where almost everyone is flirtatious, energetic, confident, and like to show off, Yorkie is one of the few shy, awkward, nerds in town which seems to intrigue Kelly.
- Gamer Chick: According to Davis, shes good at playing the arcade games.
- Gayngst: Her religious parents wouldn't accept her sexuality. This has trickled down into her being very insecure about it.
- Going Native
- I Choose to Stay: A huge part of her character is coming to decide that San Junipero is her home.
- Marriage of Convenience: She was initially planning to enter into one of these with her primary nurse, as state law requires next of kin sign off on euthanasia and her parents, who are very conservative and religious, won't. When Kelly discovers the situation, she asks Yorkie to marry her instead.
- Naïve Newcomer: At the beginning of the episode, its her first time in San Junipero so it naturally takes her some time to adjust.
- Second Love: For Kelly.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: The makeover montage where she dresses as a post-makeover Allison, Whitney Houston in her lavender "I Want To Dance With Somebody" dress, and a black dress evoking the background dancers from "Addicted to Love" show off just how pretty she is.
- Shrinking Violet: Initially; this is because, as mentioned above, San Junipero is the only proper adult interaction she's ever had. She comes out of her shell some once she gets the change.
Yorkie's fiancee, mentioned in passing.
- Nice Guy: For all intents and purposes. He has no romantic interest with Yorkie, the reason he's marrying her is so he can sign the paperwork so she can be euthanized.