open/close all folders
One of the main protagonists of the comic, a high school student who finds his life deeply affected by the "bug" spreading through his suburb.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Keith is convinced early on that he and Chris are soulmates, but they never get anywhere beyond a brief, tentative friendship. He does end up with Eliza, though.
- Dogged Nice Guy: His dynamic with Chris.
- Mushroom Samba: Keith has a bad acid trip about midway through the comic series which culminates with him wandering into the Pit and befriending the mutants there.
A high school girl who accidentally catches the Bug from Rob early on in the comics.
- Bittersweet Ending: Chris loses Rob and runs away alone, ending her story on an uncertain note. The only thing keeping her from a complete Downer Ending is a friendly older couple who offer to take her in, though it's left ambiguous whether she will accept the offer.
- The "I Love You" Stigma: Chris gets anxious when Rob tells her he loves her.
A high schooler infected with the Bug, which manifests as a small mouth on his throat.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Rob's second mouth has a tendency to say what he really thinks, which undermines his first relationship when his girlfriend hears the mouth talking about Chris. Later while he's sleeping by Chris, she hears the mouth expressing Rob's fears that their relationship will never work out.
- Facial Horror: Rob is beaten to death and ends up with most of his face caved in.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Rob's last words come from his second mouth, apologizing to the absent Chris that things didn't work out.
A mutant girl with a prominent tail who develops a relationship with Keith and eventually infects him.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: During her first appearance, Eliza is a textbook example, though she is developed into a more three-dimensional character later on.
- Mushroom Samba: Eliza first meets Keith while she's tripping on acid.
- Ms. Fanservice: Unlike Chris, Eliza's nudity is straight fanservice. As long as you don't mind the tail.
A mutant living at the Pit who helps Rob and Chris run away together. Dave is secretly obsessed with Chris, and is implied to be have ordered Rob's murder.
- Foil: To Keith. Both have unrequited feelings toward Chris that they never express. We don't get Dave's point of view until the end of his story, so his Villainous Breakdown over these feelings comes completely out of the blue.
- Stalker with a Crush: On Chris.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Chris rejects Dave, he reacts by murdering most of the Pit mutants, followed by Rick, then committing suicide.
An anti-social mutant living alone in the woods, separate from the Pit.