A famed and exclusive school of magic where young magicians-in-training study to become Awakened magicians. Lately, it's had its fair share of incidents.
Class Rank: Idun
Second son of Duke and Duchess Artian. He's a quiet boy who was severely bullied throughout his first month at Helios, being collectively ignored and referred to as "the Monster." Since befriending Rood, who was sent to Helios to protect him, he's started to open up and strengthen his self-confidence. Thanks to Rood's influence, he's no longer despised by his classmates, though some of them are still wary of him.
As a child, he was friends with Chevel, who turned into his bully when they were older after a certain incident. Currently, the two are on fairly good terms again.
It is eventually revealed that Lis holds the demon king's power within his body, put there by Lispen when he was looking for a place to hide it. Lidusis is currently one of the few who knows the Black Magician's true identity.
- Adorkable: Frequently has moments of this when he actually emotes.
- Beautiful All Along: Before his Important Haircut, he looked disheveled and unapproachable. Afterwards, he looks gentle and handsome.
- Blinding Bangs: Before his Important Haircut, he used these to hide his eyes.
- Bound and Gagged: He's tied up by some of the klads and used for target practice in order to get at Rood. Thankfully, their plan backfires.
- Break the Cutie: Has been broken by both his brother and his classmates during his first month at Helios.
- Bully Brutality: His bullying escalates to this when Rood starts to get involved with him.
- Character Development: Thanks to Rood's influence, he gradually becomes more assertive. He actually stands up to Lispen to protect Dio.
- Distressed Dude: Ends up as this rather frequently, justified by the fact that he's only a magician-in-training who doesn't know enough magic to defend himself and because he has the demon king's power sealed within him, making him a very attractive target to certain individuals. When the situation turns dire, Rood orders him not to leave his side.
- Important Haircut: Lin gives him one before the class party, signifying his change from "monster" to "just another student" in the eyes of his classmates. His image on this page is his new haircut's debut.
- Lonely Rich Kid: According to his mother, he was mostly ignored at home in favor of his older brother.
- Shrinking Violet: His first reaction to Rood calling out his name across a busy courtyard is to run away. He also actively tries to push Rood away, preferring to be alone because he thinks he'll cause misfortune to others.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: These are used against him during his first month at Helios, including getting called names and having water thrown at him. However, it escalates into Bully Brutality.
- The Quiet One: He rarely talks and tends to mumble when he does. Thanks to Rood, he's getting better at communicating with others.
- When He Smiles: It takes forever for Rood and co. to get him to smile, but when he does, it really lights up his face, to their elation and his embarrassment.
Class Rank: Idun
The first student to befriend Rood at Helios. Dio is dead-last in their class and is prone to sleeping during lessons. He has an excitable and fun-loving demeanor, and while he's loyal to his friends, he can be a bit of a coward and is easily intimidated by the school bullies.
He's actually a dragon-like demon named Diorook, who has infiltrated Helios at Rubymonter's request in an effort to find a certain traitor. Despite his true nature, he has come to cherish the human friends he made at school and remains loyal to them, protecting them even to his own detriment. He once served the demon king, but ended up losing him due to a "mistake" he allegedly made. He is one of the few who knows the Black Magician's true identity, having recognized Rood's scent on Blow when he encountered him as a dragon.
- Adorkable: Naturally, considering how overzealous he can be. Times two in his baby dragon form.
- Big Bad Friend: Played with. See main page for details.
- Butt-Monkey: Thanks to Rood's bullying, he often ends up as this.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Yuti calls him "Ming Ming" in his baby dragon form, even after she finds out who he really is.
- Hellish Pupils: He gets these occasionally in his human form, and they're indications that he's a demon.
- The Ditz: He's last in his class and can be a bit of an airhead at times.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He's actually smarter than he seems, having blended in with humans for as long as he did. He's still something of a ditz, though.
- Walking Spoiler: The fact that he's actually a demon with his own agenda makes him rather difficult to talk about casually.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A prime example.
Class Rank: Hereis
Son of Marquis Hadelio and (initially) school bully. Stubborn, egotistical, and vengeful, he led the charge in the bullying of Lidusis, using his status as a hereis to intimidate underclassmen into following his lead. Thanks to him, Lidusis's first month at Helios was a living hell.
As a child, he and his sister Ibriel were good friends with Lidusis until the incident where Ibriel was killed by a demon while hanging out with him, which Chevel, in turn, blamed him for.
After the incident in Ishuella where Lidusis saves his life, he admits he was wrong in tormenting him, finally acknowledging that Ibriel's death wasn't his fault, and mellows out drastically, even going so far as to becoming rather protective of him. Currently, he is one of the few who knows the Black Magician's true identity after Rood, thinking him unconscious, transformed in front of him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Toward both his sister Ibriel and, later, Lidusis, of all people. While downplayed in the case of the latter, he definitely shows this when he forcibly separates Lis from his older brother when he perceives the former to be uncomfortable by the latter's physical contact. Chevel is at least partially aware of the abusive history between the Artian brothers, making his actions that much more endearing.
- Blue Blood: He's the son of a marquis.
- Butt-Monkey: Becomes this after his Character Development. Rood lightly bullies him, and the other hereis pick on him while also exploiting his connection to his father.
- Break the Cutie: His little sister was suddenly and violently killed, and he blamed their mutual friend for it.
- Character Development: One of the most dynamic examples in the series so far. Goes from being The Bully to being merely a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Ibriel's death made him this way, especially since he needed someone to blame for her death, defaulting to Lidusis. While still largely cynical, he does get better after the incident in Ishuella, revealing his Jerk with a Heart of Gold tendencies.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason he bullied Lidusis was because he needed someone to blame for Ibriel's death. Lidusis was the only one with her at the time, and he survived without a scratch on him, leading Chevel to grow to hate him, despite his father telling him that it wasn't his fault.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's revealed to be this after the reason for his cruelty toward Lidusis is revealed.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: As a child, he kept his hair short, but as he got older, he let it grow out, possibly in tribute to his dead sister.
- The Bully: Though he never crossed the line like some of the klads did, he was responsible for starting the bullying of Lidusis. He gets better after Ishuella.
Class Rank: Idun
A classmate who eventually befriends Rood, Dio, and Lidusis. She's one of the few students who's initially deeply bothered by Lidusis's bullying and one of the first to stand up for him. She's shown to be kind and loyal toward her friends and valiantly defends Carmille against demons in Ishuella.
She has a younger brother named Ben who she's close with.
- Cool Big Sis: To her little brother Ben. He's so fond of her that he writes to her frequently.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She tries to give one to her classmates regarding their ill-treatment of Lidusis, but it gets interrupted by Rood (unintentionally) throwing a klad in her direction.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hers is neon green.
Class Rank: Idun
A classmate who eventually befriends Rood, Dio, and Lidusis. Cool, beautiful, and intelligent, she's popular amongst male classmates, though she finds their fawning annoying. She doesn't approve of the bullying of Lidusis, though she doesn't stand up to it until after meeting Rood.
She's an avid fan of the Black Magician after he saved her on "that day" and wishes to meet him again.
- Abusive Parents: Her parents treat her like a tool and planned to marry her off to a Dirty Old Man. They adopted her solely for this purpose. They stated her beauty was the only thing she had of worth and if she dared to defy them she was locked up and denied food and water until she begged for forgiveness.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: While initially rather cold, she starts to warm up after befriending Rood and co.
- Driven to Suicide: In the backstory. She was actually afraid and only contemplated suicide as the only escape from her Abusive Parents.
- I Owe You My Life: How she feels toward Blow for saving her when she was younger.
- Indifferent Beauty: She tends to find her male classmates who value her for this annoying.
Princess Yutiarien Meria Kansiole
Class Rank: Klad
A student at Helios and the empire's princess. Yuti is childish and rarely takes things seriously, to the distress of one of her bodyguards, Rom. She seems to like sweet things and is incredibly fond of her other bodyguard, Tessi.
She discovers Dio in his baby dragon form and christens him "Ming Ming," to his mortification. She's currently one of the few who knows the Black Magician's true identity after a depletion of mana forces him to Unawaken in front of her.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Subverted. She's treated the same as any other student at the school despite her royal heritage.
- Genki Girl: She's usually very excitable and cheerful, even in serious situations.
- Multicolored Hair: Both she and her brother have a pink-blond hair coloration.
Linus En Grium
Class Rank: Hereis
One of the elite hereis and Chevel's friend. He has the bad habit of "spectating" during catastrophes before actually helping out. Cheerful and a bit of a prankster, he oftentimes gets on the cynical Chevel's last nerve. He's an enormous fan of the Black Magician and has admitted to stalking Opion in hopes of seeing him.
Awakened Name: Tessiana
A professor at Helios as well as one of Princess Yutiarien's bodyguards. She generally exhibits little interest in the things that happen around her, but, like Shic, when something catches her eye, she zeroes in on it with an unsettling intensity. While appearing largely emotionless, she seems to be quite fond and protective of Yuti.
Her mana ability is ice, which she uses to freeze and attack enemies.
She's currently one of the few who knows the Black Magician's true identity after a depletion of mana forces him to Unawaken in front of her.
- An Ice Person: Her ability is ice, and her Awakened form is an icy version of herself.
- Badass Teacher: Proves herself to be this first in Ishuella and again when Helios is under attack.
- Emotionless Girl: This appears to be her default setting and is generally played for laughs. She does seem to genuinely care for the princess and other students, though.
- Hot Teacher
- Stalker Without a Crush: She mercilessly stalks Rood when she suspects he's not just another idun.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hers is cerulean.
Awakened Name: Damion
A professor at Helios. His gender was widely disputed by fans until he was confirmed as male on the author's blog. He's gentle and friendly and doesn't stand for rule-breaking or bullying. Despite not possessing much fighting prowess, he is very devoted to the students' safety.