Staff Sgt. Matthew Eversmann
Played By: Josh Hartnett
A Ranger sergeant who receives his first command.
- Big "NO!": Twice, when Blackburn falls out of the helicopter and when Jamie breaks cover to help Twombly, leading to Jamie receiving fatal injuries.
- Composite Character: The real Eversmann was part of the Lost Convoy, while this version leads the effort to reach Super Six One.
- Weapon of Choice: A M16A2 assault rifle.
- You Are in Command Now: Winds up in command of Ranger Chalk Four when one of his superior officers has an epileptic seizure.
Specialist John Grimsey Grimes
Played By: Ewan McGregor
A desk clerk who winds up going on his first mission.
- Adaptation Name Change: The character that Grimes is based off of is named John Stebbins, but was changed when Stebbins was convicted of rape.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Grimes desperately wanted to be put into the field instead of working as a Desk Jockey. Its safe to say he regrets this when he actually does get his wish.
- Desk Jockey: Worked behind a desk before being put on the front lines. The reason why is that he can type, which meant a big deal in the 1990s.
- Running Gag: Gets shot at with RPGs (rocket-propelled grenade) no less than three times.
- Weapon of Choice: A M16A2 assault rifle with an underbarrel M203 grenade launcher.
Captain Mike Steele
Played By: Jason Isaacs
The Captain of a Ranger rifle company.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Gets a laugh out of Pilla's impression of him.
- Bald of Awesome: A tough, smooth-headed Ranger captain.
- Weapon of Choice: A Colt Model 733 assault rifle.
Lieutenant Colonel Danny McKnight
Played By: Tom Sizemore
- Adaptation Personality Change: The real McKnight noted that he doesnt swear, smoke, or shout as much as the film version does.
- Colonel Badass: Walks around a war zone like bullets arent flying around him and heads back into battle even after being shot twice.
- Deadpan Snarker: 99 percent of his dialogue is pure snark.
McKnight: Well, shoot back!
Specialist Shawn Nelson
Played By: Ewen Bremner
Specialist Lance Twombly
Played By: Tom Hardy
Specialist Mike Kurth
Played By: Gabriel Casseus
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Does his best not to shoot a woman trying to pick up a rifle. Struecker does it for him instead.
Corporal Jamie Smith
Played By: Charlie Hofheimer
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Breaks cover when Twombly is caught out in the open with a burning ammo pouch, and receives fatal gunshot wounds.
Staff Sergeant Ed Yurek
Played By: Tom Guiry
Private First Class Todd Blackburn
Played By: Orlando Bloom
Sergeant Lorenzo Ruiz
Played By: Enrique Murciano
- Fatal Family Photo: Ruiz has a wife and a daughter back home, and even calls his wife before going on the mission. Ruiz is critically wounded during the battle, and dies even after being given medical attention.
- Hidden Depths: Ruiz is an incredibly good artist, as shown by his illustrations for a childrens book he is writing.
Sergeant Casey Joyce
Played By: Chris Beetem
- Karmic Death: Joyce gleefully boasts to Grimes he doesnt need a kevlar plate on his back as he doesnt intend to be shot in the back running away. Joyce is later killed when a Somalian sniper shoots him in the back while defending the convoy.
Private John Maddox
Played By: Michael Roof
Sergeant Scott Galentine
Played By: Gregory Sporleder
Staff Sergeant Jeff Struecker
Played By: Brian Van Holt
- Would Hit a Girl: During the Mogadishu Mile at the end of the film, Struecker shoots a woman who tries to pick up a dropped rifle.
Sergeant Dominick Pilla
Played By: Danny Hoch
Lieutenant John Beales
Played By: Ioan Gruffudd
Private Richard Alphabet Kowalewski
Played By: Brendan Sexton III
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: He gets shot with an RPG that goes through him and halfway out the other side without detonating.
Private John Waddell
Played By: Ian Virgo
Specialist Dale Sizemore
Played By: Matthew Marsden
Sergeant Mike Goodale
Played By: Carmine Giovinazzo
Sergeant First Class Norm Hoot Gibson
Played by: Eric Bana
Sergeant First Class Randall Randy Shughart
Played By: Johnny StrongA Delta sniper paired with Gary Gordon who volunteers to rescue Michael Durant, the pilot of Super Six Four.
- Bash Brothers: With Gordon.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: His death, which consists of getting shot in the back and arms, then has almost a dozen shots emptied into his chest at point-blank range.
- Famous Last Words: Gordys gone, man. Ill be outside. Good luck.
- Last Stand: With Gordon defending the Super Six Four crash site.
- Weapon of Choice: A M14 battle rifle with a camouflage paint scheme and an Aimpoint CompM2/M68 reflex sight. He also carries a Colt M1911A1 pistol.
Master Sergeant Gary Gordy Gordon
Played By: Nikolaj Coster-WaldauA Delta sniper paired with Randy Shughart who volunteers to rescue Michael Durant, the pilot of Super Six Four.
- Bash Brothers: With Shughart.
- Boom, Headshot!: Gets shot in the head by a Somalian militiaman while covering the crash site.
- Famous Last Words: Randy, last mag!
- Last Stand: With Shughart defending the Super Six Four crash site.
- Reality Ensues: Unlike the Rangers, who wear Kevlar helmets, the Delta operators wear hockey helmets since theyre more comfortable and lighter. Unfortunately, theyre not bulletproof, as Gordon finds out the hard way.
- Weapon of Choice: A Colt M733 assault rifle with a camouflage paint scheme, M68 Aimpoint red dot scope, weaponlight, and a sound suppressor. He also carries a Colt M1911A1 pistol.
Major General William F. Garrison
Played By: Sam Shepard
Sergeant First Class Jeff Sanderson
Played By: William Fichtner
Master Sergeant Tim Griz Martin
Played By: Kim Coates
Lieutenant Colonel Gary L. Harrell
Played By: eljko Ivanek
Lieutenant Colonel Joe Cribbs
Played By: Steven Ford
Staff Sergeant Daniel Busch
Played By: Richard Tyson
- All for Nothing: While the helicopters are able to find and pick him up, Busch sustained a fatal gunshot wound defending Super Six Ones crash site and dies sometime later of his wounds. His name is mentioned in the credits as one of the casualties.
Warrant Officer Michael Durant
Played By: Ron Eldard
- Fatal Family Photo: A subversion when he looks at a photo of his family and is subsequently captured instead of killed.
- Sole Survivor: The only one of his crew to survive the initial crash (Shughart is seen examining one of the bodies as he arrives with Gordon) and the ensuing shootout where Shughart and Gordon are killed.
- Weapon of Choice: A Heckler & Koch MP5A3 submachine gun fitted with a slimline foregrip. He also uses Gordon's M733 assault rifle when he gets killed.
Lieutenant Colonel Tom Matthews
Played By: Glenn Morshower
Chief Warrant Officer Cliff Elvis Wolcott
Played By: Jeremy Piven
- Character Death: Killed when Super Six One crashes.