open/close all folders
Elsa Gabrielle Jackson
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called "Captain" by Vonne. In her route, Elsa can either have her continue calling her Captain, just call her Elsa, or, if the player is an Occidental Otaku, senpai. She draws the line at "Onee-sama," however.
- Anti-Hero: Elsa will always be some variety of this, though what variety depends on her actions. At a minimum, however, she'll be employing her minions to strong-arm other students, cover up scandals, and preserve the school's reputation.
- Blank Slate: While certain basic facts about Elsa are set in stone, almost all of her personality throughout the game is determined by the player's dialogue choices.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: After she's been installed as student council president at the start of the game; regardless of how benevolently you play her, you'll inevitably have to put your minions up to some underhanded things.
- Featureless Protagonist: Averted, though it's not made immediately obvious. She has a Multiple-Choice Past, and can range from taciturn and cruel to warm and affectionate depending on your choices. However, she is always noted to be studious, unflappable, and collected, verging on The Comically Serious. Her past relationships with Vonne and Althea are also set in stone, as is the fact that she's black.
- Gentlewoman And A Scholar/Wicked Cultured: Elsa can be a kind, friendly, romantic girl or a cruel and unfeeling commander depending on player choices, but will always be able to recognize Thaïs's performance at the coffeehouse's Open Night as 'crypto-gothic third-wavism.'
- Master of the Mixed Message: You can play her this way in Vonne's route, but be prepared for the consequences...
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Elsa does this when she first sits at her desk at the end of the tutorial, along with Finger-Tenting. Potentially subverted, though, since she can be a very kind and caring girl if played as such.
- What You Are in the Dark: A small example; after defeating Miss Talmage, Elsa can choose to start working with her, blackmail her for information/money/a relationship, or resign as student council president to spite her claim that she's Not So Different. Her minions are present, but any who stay through both stages of the boss fight are loyal enough to not dispute her decision. The choice she makes decides what she does with her life in the epilogue.
Althea Daphne Kanellis
- Big Sister Instinct: For Thaïs, to the point that she got a reputation for being violent due to how she would act toward anyone who bullied Thaïs. If Thaïs is the traitor and gets expelled, Althea will lose a decent chunk of loyalty.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She only joined the student council to satisfy her parents and add her participation to a university application, obviously doesn't care about doing a good job for the most part, and will flake out and only act every other day on any route but her own unless her loyalty is boosted.
- The Bully: She used to be, and she's still remarkably talented at extracting information from other students, as her two highest stats are Social and Intimidation, which are the key stats for the Harass action.
- Chick Magnet: She is very popular with the ladies at St. Claudine's, largely due to her protectiveness of Thais being seen as noble, as well as her flirtatious attitude. She has a fanclub, and they will not take it well if you choose to romance her.
- Hidden Depths: If romanced, she expresses a desire to leave St. Claudine's and tackle things that are actually challenging for her. She also wants to become a chef, something that she has to keep secret, as it's considered 'beneath' a woman of her social standing.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Althea is used to dating timid freshmen who follow her lead; picking the more assertive conversation options is the best way to impress her. It's also the easiest way to get her best romance ending, in which you continue dating after high school and go on a cruise together.
- Really Gets Around: She's quite the Chick Magnet, and has had many flings in her time at St. Claudine's.
- The Social Expert: Her Social stat is equal to Mallory's, but, unlike Mallory, she also has high Intimidation. This gives her the broadest range of social options for any character.
- Tattoo as Character Type: In her route, she decides to get a chakram tattooed on her upper back, because it symbolizes a warrior. She also considers a labrys (for the same reason), and a triangle with the feminine symbol inside (referencing The Delta of Venus, an erotic book/movie).
Asami Yvonne "Vonne" Ito
- Asian and Nerdy: She's Japanese and has a fondness for role-playing sci-fi and mysteries.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Even when not pushed to Yandere levels, Vonne has elements of this. She's been in love with Elsa for years, and will express disapproval of her forming a close relationship with the other girls on their paths, even if you deny romantic intentions. On her path, if you make her as jealous and paranoid as possible, she'll kick out not only Mallory, who's implied to get a lot of attention from other girls and might have been a point of contention between you two before, but also Rowan, who you probably haven't spoken to privately in months.
- Closet Geek: She's incredibly passionate about sci-fi and mysteries, even writing her own role-playing games, but keeps it under wraps because other children bullied her for it when she was younger. It's implied that the teachers advised her to do this when she went to them for help. If she's the traitor, and is expelled for it, her epilogue has her falling in with a gaming club, and being a fair bit happier as a result.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Elsa doesn't generally acknowledge her childhood friendship with Vonne, or why it ended, but on her route you can reveal through dialogue choices that the teachers forced them to stop being friends, with the exact reason varying due to the use of Multiple-Choice Past.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: To the point where she's already having damaged furniture in the student council room replaced before the other members are even introduced, and is the only one observant enough to notice that Rowan is in the room, including Elsa. Justified by her being Elsa's Forgotten Childhood Friend who's been in love with her for years; of course she'd want to make herself as useful to her as possible.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: She has no stats below 20, so she makes a useful pinch-hitter when the more specialized members of the group are occupied. She does have a high Observation, but rarely gets to use it independently due to her average Stealth, making using her for ransacking a risky proposition.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Is delighted to discover that she was given her middle name because her mother was a fan of Yvonne Craig, one of the actresses who played Batgirl.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Her first name is actually Asami. 'Vonne' came about as a result of not being able to pronounce her middle name, Yvonne.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: She becomes this if you don't pursue her route. Deconstructed, as she wasn't able to make any new friends after Elsa stopped being friends with her when they were children, and in the epilogue she is unable to form any close relationships with her fellow classmates in her senior year.
- Yandere: Can become this if Elsa pursues a relationship with her, but acts possessive while refusing to show any affection in public. The achievement for doing so is even called "The Yandere Principle." In her epilogue on this route, it's stated that she goes so far as to disappear from St. Claudine's and track Elsa down at her university, nearly getting her expelled.
Rowan Tallula Gray
- All of the Other Reindeer: She wasn't treated well by the other students since they viewed her as a charity case.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her skin tone is darker compared to the other girls, apart from Elsa, but her answer to one of dialogue options when she visits you during Martin Luther King day confirms that she's not black. If you encourage Rowan to learn more about her heritage, and don't offer to help pay for her college, she'll reveal that her middle name 'Tallulah' is of Choctaw Native American origin.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Can be turned into this on one variant of her route, in which she's made to be Elsa's servant; in the epilogue, she gains her own subservient girl gang, and ruins the lives of anyone who crosses her.
- Broken Bird: She reveals that she was bullied when she first arrived at the school by a girl named Jennifer Henndricks, and punched her to try and fight back. Unfortunately, the teachers wanting to avoid a scandal punished Rowan by locking her in a bathroom. This incident traumatized her and made her into the Extreme Doormat she is today.
- Closet Geek: In her route, she'll reveal that she's very invested in soap operas.
- Disappeared Dad: Rowan's father had no involvement in raising her and her brother Tate, and she has no knowledge about him. In her good route, you and she learn that Rowan's mother had an affair with Rowan's father, who was already married, and, when she became pregnant with the twins, chose to not get him involved, and raised the two by herself.
- Extreme Doormat
- FaceHeel Revolving Door: If she is the traitor, getting her to confess and protecting her will let you keep her on the council. If you romance and mistreat her, she'll turn traitor again and will resume sabotaging her assignments.
- Half-Identical Twins: Averted. Rowan reveals in her good route that she has a twin brother named Tate, but they look nothing alike.
- Literal-Minded: Tends to be.
- No Social Skills: Rowan is very quiet, gives blunt and literal answers to questions, and generally doesn't seem to like interacting with people much. It's reflected in-game as well, with her Social and Intimidation skills being the lowest of your minions (though she makes up for it with high Stealth and Observation).
- Scholarship Student: How she got into St. Claudine's.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Frequently unnoticed by others until she speaks up. Again, reflected by her Stealth stat.
Thaïs Eulalia Kanellis
- Alpha Bitch: Subverted; she has the blond hair and attitude, but she's not popular (anymore), and apparently hates the idea of being popular, preferring to rebel.
- Always Someone Better: Thaïs feels this way about Althea, since even girls being jealous of her is due to her being Althea's sister. If she's the traitor, and her loyalty is raised high enough for her to confess, she'll ask Elsa to use Althea as a scapegoat in exchange for her loyalty.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Puts on airs of not caring about anyone, and retaliates viciously to perceived insults, but can quickly come to respect Elsa's bluntness, and reveal a great deal of vulnerability.
- The Fashionista
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: A rare example between female characters. If Elsa dates Althea, Thaïs will leave the council, and state this as her reason for siccing Althea's fanclub on Elsa.
- Tsundere: Type A.
- Younger Than They Look: Between her harsh expressions, overdone makeup, and excellent performing skill, Thaïs does not look like she's tied for the youngest member of the council.
Mallory Kendall McKay
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: At one point in her route she comes to talk to Elsa for no reason other than to tell her that she's not gay.
- Hidden Depths: Looking at her, one would probably take her for extremely naive and pampered. Her route reveals that she's a bit more rough-and-tumble, has a fair share of common sense (she's probably the only member of the council, other than Rowan, who knows anything about doing her own laundry), loves science, and finds spiders to be adorable.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Almost. Flirting with her and choosing to be 'cuddle buddies' gets you the "Tempt a Straight Girl" achievement. While she doesn't pursue a romantic relationship with Elsa, she does tell her at graduation that if she did ever date a girl, she'd want someone like her.
- Ingenue: Subverted. For all her friendly, cookie-distributing ways, Mallory isn't quite as innocent as she appears. You can even point this out to Vonne.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Before transferring to the school, she was involved with a boy named Brian, and considered herself still taken — at least until the Christmas holiday, when she finds out otherwise.
- New Transfer Student: But she was popular enough to get elected to the Student Council despite this.
- Nice Girl: Mallory is as close to this as St. Claudine's students go. She's all sweetness and light in the majority of her conversations, worries about Rowan if Elsa makes the latter her slave, and is the only traitor who won't let the fire start at the Harvest Festival, if she was protected and not chosen as Queen, without requiring a scapegoat.
- Older Than They Look: Between her being the shortest council member and her occasionally childish behavior, Mallory doesn't appear to be a freshman in highschool. If you try to watch "Falling Silk" with her on the weekend, the movie theater worker won't allow you in, since he thinks Mallory is a child, to her frustration.
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: The real reason that Mallory was packed off to an all-girls boarding school.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: The best you can hope for in her route is to be 'cuddle buddies' with her.
Miss Naomi Talmage
- Dude, Where's My Respect?/Reward?: After you defeat her, Talmage reveals this as her motivation for why she's been making Elsa's life so difficult. She believed that she deserved a raise for keeping the school afloat, but, since she handled the situations quickly and discreetly, her efforts were not recognized, and the school board thought she wasn't needed. She started indirectly causing more trouble at St. Claudines to try and get her pay increased, since she's paid more for each case the student council solves.
- Evil Teacher: The final case reveals that she's been influencing things behind the scenes to cause more cases because her pay grade increases with the amount of trouble she has to deal with.
- Hot for Student: Partially; she expresses no interest in Elsa while she's on the student council, but blackmailing her after her defeat results in them having a relationship when Elsa's gone off to college, and she's apparently pretty devoted.
- Hot Teacher: Miss Talmage may not make the best first impression, and is definitely making things harder than they should be, but she's still quite attractive. If you blackmail her for 'intimate personal instruction' at the end of the game, you get some pictures that show this off to the fullest.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk
- Not So Different: At the end of the game, she claims that Elsa's time as president has turned her into someone who doesn't mind twisting the rules for her own ends, and states that their hearts are equally black. Elsa can resign in response to this, shocking her (she goes so far as to yell "I own you!").
- Walking Spoiler