Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (JP), Brina Palencia (EN)
Live actors: Shougo Sakamoto ; Yukito Nishii ; Taketo Tanaka ; Nayuta Fukuzaki [2014-2015]; Reo Uchikawa [2016-Current] (Musical)
The current Earl of Phantomhive, the sole survivor after the mysterious and untimely murders of his parents and the burning of his mansion. With the aid of his loyal butler, Sebastian, who appeared in his service only two years ago, he has not only maintained but strengthened his family's wealth and title, while also serving as "the Queen's Guard Dog", charged with investigating and dealing with problems relating to the criminal underworld.
See his folder here for tropes regarding him.
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (JP), J. Michael Tatum (EN)
Live actors: Yūya Matsushita [2009-2014]; Yuta Furukawa [2015-Current] (Musical); Mizushima Hiro (Film)
The eponymous character. Ciel's mysterious but charismatic and highly skilled butler; he appeared out of nowhere with Ciel two years ago and is rarely far from his master's side. In reality, he is actually a demon who has made a Faustian pledge to Ciel; in exchange for utter obedience to Ciel, and assisting him in finding and killing the murderers of Ciel's parents, Sebastian will be allowed to kill Ciel and take his soul once his service is ended or Ciel dies.
See his folder here for tropes regarding him.
Voiced by: Emiri Katou (JP),Monica Rial (EN)
Live actors: Atsuko Igari [2009-2010]; Saki Matsuda ; Yuka Terasaki ; Shiori Sakata [2015-Current] (Musical)
The maid of the Phantomhive household. She wears Opaque Nerd Glasses given to her by Ciel that limit her eyesight and prevent her from viewing objects correctly at close-range, which causes her to be clumsy when doing her chores. Mey-Rin is actually a professional sniper and due to her sharp binocular vision, she does not require a scope to aid her.
- Action Girl: She's a Cold Sniper who can leap from roof to roof and go Guns Akimbo with two rifles.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair and eyes are red in the manga, while in the anime her hair is closer to a shade of magenta and her eyes are brown.
- Badass Adorable: You'd never guess this cute and huggable maid girl is a deadly assassin.
- Berserk Button: Mess with her master or anyone else she cares about and you will end up with 1 or 2 holes in you, at least.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She may be a clumsy girl with a blatantly obvious crush on Sebastian, but despite her incompetence, she's an expert assassin who is very adept in using guns.
- Boyish Short Hair: In contrast with her current Girlish Pigtails, Mey-Rin had short hair before the Earl Phantomhive made her his maid and she only become feminine afterwards.
- Brats with Slingshots: In her childhood, Mey-Rin used slingshots to knock off the earrings of rich women so other street kids could steal them.
- Cold Sniper: When she takes off her glasses, Mey-Rin changes from cute clumsy maid to ruthless sniper who won't hesitate to shoot you dead.
- Covert Pervert: She gets really heated up over potential steamy situations with Sebastian, whether he's with her or Ciel. In the first anime, also sprouts a Nose Bleed at the sight of Pluto with Angela when she believes they are lovers, and is very appreciative of the view when they encounter Pluto wandering naked around the fens. Also from her time in Houndsworth, upon seeing a man training a dog, the dub renders her as saying,"I'd let him pet me, yes I would!"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: A clumsy maid who often breaks things and mixes up shoe polish for wood polish on a regular day, but if anyone threatens her employers, she will blow their brains out.
- Curtains Match the Window: Although they usually aren't visible, Mey-Rin's eyes are red like her hair.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Justified. She's absurdly farsighted and the glasses Ciel gave her aren't the right correction. As a result, she frequently trips, knocks things over, and breaks them when doing her job as a maid. She also mistakes products like shoe polish for wood polish and misreads instructions because her eyes can't read the tags.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a Street Urchin who lost her parents to an epidemic. Forced to fend for herself in a foreign country, a young Mey-Rin cooperated with two other street boys and used her farsightedness to steal expensive earrings from rich women. One day, her two friends were caught by two men who ordered Mey-Rin to make a demonstration of her aiming skills or she and the boys would be killed. The man was impressed by Mey-Rin's demonstration, but only her life was spared and she was Forced to Watch as her two friends were thrown off a building. The men decided Mey-Rin's eyes were useful to them and they made her work with them as an assassin. Eventually, she was given the mission to kill the Earl Phantomhive, but Sebastian defeated her and instead of killing her, he offered her to work for the Earl Phantomhive.
- Death Glare: Her default expression when she takes her glasses of, and for good reason.
- Fully-Clothed Nudity: Reacts this way in season 1 when she and the other servants go for a swim, and is embarrassed by her Victorian-style swimsuit, which by modern standards is extremely modest.
- Girlish Pigtails: She has her hair tied in high pigtails. It contributes to her Cute Clumsy Girl image.
- The Glasses Come Off: When she takes off her glasses, she's ready to shoot you down. And don't make the mistake of trying to distance yourself from her.
- The Gunslinger: She's a master sniper who almost never misses her target.
- It Was a Gift: Ciel was the one who gave her her glasses, so she cherishes them and refuses to give them up even though they aren't the right correction. Later on, Ciel does finally buy her new glasses that allow her to see at close-range better.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: All of the servants are this to an extent, but unlike Bard (who's laid back but still professional when fighting) and Finny (who reacts with a certain naivety to violence), Mey-Rin is dead serious when she's needed in a fight. She provides the most jarring contrast between her personality on and off duty.
- Meganekko: She fits the character archetype of the bespectacled Cute Clumsy Girl. But that's only when working as the Earl's maid; if you make her take off her glasses, she reverts to the Cold Sniper she was before meeting the Earl and Sebastian.
- Meido: She works as a maid at the Phantomhive household and she deeply enjoys it, as she's made clear several times.
- Ninja Maid: She really sucks at the regular housework, but she's an amazingly efficient sniper with no compunctions about killing anyone who threatens her employers.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: While all of the servants can spring into action should the need arise, the contrast between Mey-Rin's ditzy maid persona and her serious weapon master one is the most jarring. Baldroy's casual demeanor is evident at all times as is Finnian's childish exuberance, but Mey-Rin almost becomes a different person when she gets into the field.
- One of the Boys: When she was a kid living in the streets, she hung out with two boys who were her partners in crime. Since Mey-Rin dressed and talked masculinely back then, she really looked like another boy in her little gang.
- Only One Name
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: She wears a pair of large round glasses that hide her eyes. Somewhat justified as they neutralize her absurd farsightedness when not going Guns Akimbo with scopeless rifles.
- Ore Onna: In her childhood, Mey-Rin used the masculine first-person pronoun 'ore' because she was a tomboy living on the streets. She switched to female pronouns after she became the Phantomhive's maid.
- Parental Abandonment: In the manga, Mey-Rin and her parents came to England on a tea clipper. However, some time afterward, her parents died in an epidemic, and Mey-Rin was left to live in the streets of a foreign country when she was a child.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Before Ciel and Sebastian recruited her service, Mey-Rin used to have her bangs covering her right eye.
- Professional Killer: She was a contract killer who tried to assassinate Ciel and was taken in by him after Sebastian defeated her.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When she reveals her red eyes under her glasses, you're dead.
- Scars Are Forever: In the manga, when Mey-Rin and Ran Mao are changing their clothes to maid outfits at Baron Heathfield's manor, Mey-Rin has several scars on her right arm. Although in the original anime, she doesn't have scars on her arm.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Also spelled Mei Lin/Mei Rin/Maylene/etc. Yen Press' official transliteration is Mey-Rin.
- Stocking Filler: She wears thigh-high stockings, which are held up by a garter belt.
- Street Urchin: Mey-Rin's parents were immigrants who died from an epidemic, leaving her an orphan trying to survive in the streets of London by helping other orphans steal.
- Super Senses: Her far sight is so damn good that her rifles don't need scopes; Mey-Rin can shoot down targets at a kilometer of distance in just one try.
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Finny and Bard.
- Used to Be a Tomboy: When she was a child, Mey-Rin dressed like a boy, had Boyish Short Hair and used masculine speech patterns. After the Earl Phantomhive took her in as a maid, Mey-Rin became the girly Cute Clumsy Girl we are familiar with.
- Would Hurt a Child: When Wendy and Peter try to bisect Finny, she shoots Wendy in the head. When confronted by Peter, she shoots him in the shoulder and pins him down with gunfire, before sniping him when he tries to escape.
- Yaoi Fangirl: She has a crush on Sebastian, but doesn't mind him being all over Ciel and gets huge nosebleeds at the sight.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears black thigh-high stockings under her dress.
Voiced by: Hiroki Tochi (JP), Ian Sinclair (EN)
Live actors: Tsuyoshi Koyama ; Iwasaki Dai ; Noboru Washio [2013-Current] (Musical)
The chef of the Phantomhive household. However, he never makes anything edible as he uses weaponry such as flamethrowers to cook, believing that cooking is an art requiring explosions. He's a former soldier and while terrible at cooking, he is shown to be capable of taking advantage of his surroundings, such as using fine flour to create an explosion.
- Adaptational Nationality: Baldroy is an American in the manga, but is shown to speak with a lower class British accent in the anime and his flashback shows him serving in the British Army, though for some reason he still doesn't know the words to God Save the Queen.
- A-Team Firing: Lampshaded when blasting up the kitchen with the Gatling Gun, Dagger and Beast manage to dodge him, and he expends all his bullets. He laments that while it has a very good number of rounds, the device is made for rapid fire and not accuracy, though in the chaos he did manage to kill Dagger.
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Chef of Iron: His food isn't good mostly because he's blowing people up with it.
- Cradle of Loneliness: When Sebastian found him, he was cradling one of his dead friends.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: While he typically comes across as hopelessly incompetent when it comes to cooking, cleaning and just about every other domestic task, Baldroy is an experienced combatant who can hold his own in a fight.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Lost everyone he cared about on the battlefield.
- The Engineer: A combat type.
- Gatling Good: Keeps it in the kitchen, of course.
- Lethal Chef: The food he cooks is always inedible, but it could be better if he tried cooking it the right way instead of using flamethrowers. Justified; this is actually a carryover from his days as a soldier. Back then you had to prepare your food quickly or you were likely going to miss your chance to eat before the fighting picked up again. He's just never lost the mentality.
- Only One Name
- Only Sane Man: While all the servants are aware Sebastian is no normal butler, Baldroy seems to be the only one to ever suspect there's something sinister going on with him.
- Pillow Pistol: The Book of Murder arc reveals that he sleeps with a pistol under his pillow. Bard almost shoots Sebastian when he wakes him.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: He had more than enough experience with the horrors of war. His past does seem to haunt him, and he still thinks like a soldier.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Baldroy/Baldo/Bard.
- Stuff Blowing Up: As a former soldier, he has knowledge of weaponry including explosives.
- Technical Pacifist: As much as he enjoys explosions, he seems to like not having to kill people... unless necessary.
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Finnian and Mey-Rin.
Voiced by: Yuuki Kaji (JP), Jason Liebrecht (EN)
Live actors: Shouta Minami [2009-2010]; Takuya Kawaharada [2013-Current] (Musical)
The gardener of the Phantomhive household. However, it seems every time he tends to the garden, it is destroyed through an accident caused by his clumsiness. Finnian was a test subject in some human experiments that gave him Super Strength and was taken in by Ciel after he ran away from his cell.
- Badass Adorable: Finny's got the excitement of a little kid, and the strength of several men.
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Bishōnen: He's more cute than pretty, but he's still a boy with really feminine features.
- The Caretaker: Forced to look after Ciel during the latter's Heroic BSoD in the Witch Forest arc, as he's the only one of the servants Ciel will let get close to him.
- Caring Gardener: He's happy that the Earl made him his gardener because Finny can now grow life instead of destroying it as he was taught to. However, he's not good at the job since he often ends up destroying the plants and Sebastian has to clean up his mess.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: May not know much about gardening yet, but he uses his strength more proficiently than what he normally implies; which is usually none at all.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dark and Troubled Past: The poor boy was captured and cruelly experimented on. When he wasn't left alone in a dark cell, he was given numerous unsafe injections and saw his fellow subjects killed with a bullet to the brain. He killed the scientists before they killed him too and ran into Ciel, who decided to take him in.
- Declaration of Protection: He swore to protect his saviour Ciel and the new home he gave him.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: He's aware of the Super Strength his body has as a result of the experiments he was subjected to, but he hasn't learnt to control it properly to do his job at the manor. When blowing on hot milk to cool it down, he accidentally breathes at fifty mph.
- Hair Decorations: He keeps his hair clipped back with five red bobby pins.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He has blond hair and he's very innocent and optimistic... of course when in battle it's a different story.
- In a Single Bound: Can jump and land great distances across gaps and depths and while it still hurts, it doesn't cost him any great damage.
- I Owe You My Life: To Ciel, for saving him from his life as an experiment and giving him a new life and a name.
- Keet: He's very cheerful and excitable like a cute kid.
- Kiddie Kid: 16 years old yet he has the naivete and behavior of someone half his age. While such traits can make him seem adorable, it does admittedly become problematic at times, such as in the Phantomhive Manor Murders Arc. As he is causing a ruckus over Arthur suggesting to examine Sebastian's apparently dead body as part of the investigation, Ciel tells him to leave the room if he is going to act like a child as he is being in the way. This apparent stunt in emotional maturity is probably due to his time as a human experiment in which he was isolated from society.
- Lightning Bruiser: Not just strong but quick too. Seen especially when carrying Sullivan out of the forest in chapter 100.
- Meaningful Name: Ciel named him after Fionn mac Cumhaill, a mythical hunter-warrior of Celtic Mythology, because of Finnian's blond hair and great strength.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: He's able to tell that the servants can trust "Jeremy," and he can tell that something is off with the true Ciel.
- Only One Name: Justified. His past was so horrible nobody ever bothered to give him a name, until he met Ciel. Being given a name was so important to him, it led to his Declaration of Protection for Ciel.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Some call him "Phinnian" as well...
- Super Strength
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Bard and Maylene.
- They Would Cut You Up: His Super Strength comes from surviving human experiments.
- Undying Loyalty: To Ciel. Even though Ciel's true identify exposed and get framed for being the mastermind of the Blue Cult by the real Ciel, he still cares for him deeply and he refuses to believe he's a bad person.
- You Are Number 6: Was referred to as #12, as shown by his tattoo, during the experiments.
Voiced by: Shunji Fujimura (JP), R. Bruce Elliott (EN)
The steward of the Phantomhive household and the only one of the servants who has worked for the household since before the death of Ciel's parents. He's usually seen drinking from a Japanese tea cup and commonly seen in a Super-Deformed form. Despite his appearance, Tanaka is a master of bartitsu and just as dangerous as the other servants when he needs to be.
- Art Shift: Usually drawn Super-Deformed. When he needs to be serious, he's drawn the same as the rest of the cast.
- Battle Butler
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Cool Old Guy: The only reason Sebastian tolerates him. That and he doesn't get in the way.
- Dissonant Serenity
- FaceHeel Turn: After the true Ciel returns to the manor, Tanaka stays at the manor to serve the "true" Phantomhive heir while the Earl and the other servants escape to prepare their counterattack against the true Ciel and Undertaker.
- Loyal to the Position: Unlike the other Phantomhive servants who are specifically loyal to the current Earl, Tanaka serves whoever is the head of the Phantomhive household at the moment. When the real Ciel returns to take back his position from his twin, Tanaka begins to serve the real Ciel and apparently abandons his twin. Tanaka was apparently disappointed that the master he served for the past few years wasn't the rightful heir of the Phantomhive.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: In his normal appearance he's a lot shorter than the other servants, when serious he's almost as tall as Sebastian.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Playing with a Trope. He's usually designed deformed and simple compared to the cast, but when he's serious, he's drawn the same way as the rest of the cast and goes back to his deformed mode, once he's said what's needed to be said.
- Old Master: This old man may not look like it, but he's a master of bartitsu and a swordmaster capable of cutting bullets in half in midair.
- Old Retainer: Of the Phantomhives. The main reason Ciel lets him stick around.
- Only One Name: He only refers as Tanaka and it's unknown what his full name is.
- Parrying Bullets: He's fast enough to cut bullets in half in midair with his sword.
- Secret Keeper:
- In the anime was told directly by Vincent Phantomhive that Queen Victoria would be the one responsible for his death, but was also asked to keep this from Ciel. At the end of the first season Sebastian gives Ciel's Tanaka's diary, which reveals this.
- In the "Blue Cult" arc, Tanaka knows that Ciel has a twin brother; he's kept the Phantomhive family secret for fifteen years.
- Undying Loyalty: Has served the Phantomhive family for decades; it's part of why he's kept around despite not doing much. When Ciel turned out to be Not Quite Dead, the thought of returning to his service was enough to get Tanaka out of a wheelchair. However, unlike the other servants, Tanaka seems to be loyal only to the legitimate heir of the Phantomhive household.
Voiced by: Takuma Terashima (JP), Spike Spencer (EN)
Live actor: Yuki Tamaki (Musical)
The snake charmer of the Noah's Ark Circus. Said to be half-snake himself, Snake is capable of understanding snakes and allows them to speak through him. He returns after the events of the Murder Mystery arc, Ciel gets him to join his staff and Snake becomes the footman of the Phantomhive household.
- Adorkable: It's actually cute to see him act so shy and awkward around people.
- Animal Eyes: He has snake-like pupils. Justified since he's half-snake.
- Because You Were Nice to Me:
- The circus members were the first people who showed Snake kindness and welcomed him as their friend despite his snake-like features.
- Later on, he's grateful to Ciel for taking him in and giving him a home when he had nowhere to go.
- Belated Backstory: His backstory differs from the rest of the circus members, and is not revealed until much later.
- Beneath the Mask: Begins to slip off the mask upon reappearance.
- Bound and Gagged: When Sebastian captured him, he was locked inside a box, all tied up.
- The Bus Came Back: After the Circus arc, he was left behind none the wiser. He returned near the end of the Murder Mystery arc to look for his friends by questioning Ciel and Sebastian. He joins Ciel's staff in the meantime.
- Consulting Mister Puppet: People sometimes wonder whether he's simply a mouth-piece for his snakes or not.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Prior to joining the circus, he was put in a cage as a Half-Human Hybrid attraction until the circus members freed him.
- A Dog Named "Dog": His name is Snake... you know, since he's half snake.
- Expressive Hair: Has a cowlick of hair that shoots up when he's surprised and trembles when he's nervous.
- Facial Markings: Like all of the circus members.
- Flaw Exploitation: Performed on him by Ciel, who converts him into his staff.
- Friendless Background: Before being taken in by the circus.
- Half-Human Hybrid: According to Joker, he's a half-human, half-snake.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Can be played straight or averted depending on how well you think Ciel lied to him about wanting to cooperate and find the 'missing' circus members.
- I Am a Monster: Thinks himself as one due to his snake-like skin, which attracts several insults when he was in Campania, along with Ciel and Sebastian.
- Idiot Hair: While not an idiot, Snake has a distinct cowlick. Doubles as Expressive Hair.
- Ignorance Is Bliss: Ciel tells Snake that his missing friends' whereabouts were unknown and that staying with Ciel is the fastest way to see them again. The reader knows that they were all killed by Ciel's staff when they attempted to ambush the mansion.
- I Owe You My Life: The Circus saved him from being an attraction on display. Snake became attached to them in return.
- Locked Out of the Loop: The only primary-tier circus member with no knowledge of Baron Kelvin and the whole kidnapping incidents.
- Luminescent Blush: Sprouts one in chapter 52.
- Moment Killer: Baldroy accuses him of doing this when he finishes the servant's salute to Ciel with "says Keats".
- Morality Pet: Seems to be becoming another one of these for Ciel.
- Mysterious Past: Where'd he get those snakes? Hell, why does he look like that?
- Mystical White Hair: As if being a mysterious half-snake man wasn't enough, his white hair makes him stand out even more.
- No Social Skills: Really not good with people, due to his early isolation and snake-like features. Also not sure how cake works.
- Not Good with People: He has lots of snake friends, but can barely communicate with other people without his pets.
- Not So Stoic: While his initial appearances seem to present him as emotionless, he does have facial expressions, which is shown more frequently after becoming Ciel's staff.
- Only One Name: Doesn't seem to have any name but "Snake". We don't know what he calls himself.
- Parental Abandonment: Due to being half-snake.
- Perpetual Frowner: Rarely express his emotions, and when he does, it's most likely negative.
- The Quiet One: He never seems to speak for himself, only translating for his snakes.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: He used his snakes to follow Ciel's scent after the circus arc. Though he ended up going to the wrong house and it was actually thanks to Sohma and Agni he found Ciel, since they had mistaken Snake for a friend of Ciel's so they greeted him warmly and sent him to Phantomhive Manor.
- Shrinking Violet: Shows signs of being one when boarding the Campania with Ciel due to his appearance.Ciel: "You aren't used to crowds?"Snake: "I look different from everyone else, and since I'm with you, people will laugh at you too. Says Dan."
- Sixth Ranger: As both the Noah's Arc First tier and as Ciel's staff.
- Snake Charmer: He can control snakes.
- Snake People: Downplayed. While he looks mostly human, he does have some snake-like features due to being a Half-Human Hybrid. Like reptilian skin and pupils slitted like a snake's.
- Sole Survivor: Being the only member of the circus' first tier still alive is what leads him to attempt revenge on Ciel and co. Ciel then tricks Snake and makes him believe the circus crew merely went into hiding, convincing Snake to join Ciel.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: His specialty is to talk to snakes.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: He mostly shows himself as stoic and reserved to the point of only communicating through his snakes. He's still a good person at heart and he cares a lot for those who show him kindness.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: He has golden eyes, highlighting the fact that he's a Half-Human Hybrid.
- Team Pet: His snakes count. Ciel jokingly says he considers Snake one shortly after hiring him.
- Theme Naming: His snakes' names, all named after authors.
- Token Good Teammate: For the Noah's Ark Circus. The Murder Mystery arc reveals that Snake was the only major performer not privy to the kidnappings and experimentations on the children.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: Starts to be more expressive after joining Ciel's staff.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Circus members whom he considered family, and afterwards, ultimately to Ciel.
- Verbal Tic: Whenever he speaks, he ends the sentence with "..says (Snake's name)", even if they include personal pronouns referring to himself. This is taken even further in the anime, with him becoming a Man of a Thousand Voices due to each snake having a completely unique voice. Emily gets a teasing Falsetto, while another is a Guttural Growler.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: One of his snakes, Webster, refers to himself as having been born on "the Island of Queimada Grande". This island is famous for having only a single species of snake, the highly-venomous Golden Lancehead Viper.