open/close all folders
- Soulmate: Sheila
- 0% Approval Rating: For a time, Adam was considered one of the worst of the worst contestants. Next to Justin Sebik, Adam was particularly treated like refuse in fandom circles and the public eye for his notoriously horrible actions with his winnings, and especially after claiming he would donate $100,000 to cancer research to Sharon when word got out of his crimes, something which Sharon found to be a real-life betrayal. The situation has since gotten better because he's clean now and trying to make a better standing out of his life. People like him for who he is now, but that still doesn't change the fact he left the biggest blemish on an already putrescent season of the US Big Brother.
- Abhorrent Admirer: In terms of being paired as Sheila's soulmate as the last set, Sheila was very unhappy. She never even gave Adam a chance, she just dragged him.
- The Atoner: He is now a recovering addict and out of prison and helps his mom run a rehab center. Adam also released a book to help children who have become addicted to drugs and their parents in helping them, called Your Kids Are On Drugs: NOW WHAT?
- Butter Face: Sheila considers his pasty face and blond curls unattractive.
- Butt-Monkey: A lot of Adam's displeasing behavior can be traced back to Sheila's petty disapproval of him.
- Drama King: Adam was a headcase in the house who caused mayhem all the time.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: The very epitome of it. He goes from winning $500K... to being recorded on Fox's Boston network being hauled off into a squad car.
- Iconic Item: He loves to collect sports shoes and has a whole closet of them at home.
- Jerkass: Formerly, while on the show. Referred to Autistic children as "retards".
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Spent his winnings on starting up a prescription drug ring.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In 2009, Adam was caught and arrested for dealing in drugs. He was sentenced to 4 years in in federal prison for the drug charge and tax evasion, and got it reduced from 20 years due to cooperating in the arrest of several associates.
- Nightmare Face: Adam has a very wild-eyed, toothy, and at times, scary face. It's because he sometimes looks like he wants to pile-drive someone.
- No Social Skills: Often behaved creepily and repulsively (scratching and picking at his nose in front of Sheila as they were paired off).
- Only in Florida: His mom and he run a rehab center/mental health recovery in Florida, in a "cesspool" area.
- Sanity Slippage: A disturbing case where Adam actually fell into a depressed and crazed state post-game, already showing signs of emotional problems on the show. He got better after rehab.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Back when he was on the show, and tainted by drugs, Adam was emotionally unstable. Now, he is an addiction recovery consultant and professional interventionist in the fields of mental health and substance abuse. See the podcast.
- Unperson: For the absolutely criminal things he chose to do with his winnings and basically rendering this maybe the most infamous season in the U.S. run next to 15, Big Brother has effectively disowned him. You will never hear him talked about nor considered to be on the show again.
- Soulmate: Adam
- A Dog Named "Dog": The subverted version of the trope. She and her son have a dog named Kitty at the time of filming.
- Arch-Enemy: Adam. Those two never ever hit it off together, and the friction between them created tons of strife in the house all because she was annoyed with being saddled with him. She immediately spurned him and eventually tried to evict him as HOH in Week 9.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her "Ma". Adam meant no slight when he did it, but Sheila found it a turn-off. She also dislikes smokers (Adam and James both smoke) because tobacco breath makes her sick.
- Big "OMG!": When she got her key.
- Cool Old Lady: Downplayed; at 45, she's middle-aged, and she can be fly at times, but there's some really rough edges to her.
- Drama Queen: She's mean, gets overly emotional over little things, and cried over being paired with Adam.
- Emotional Bruiser: Angry Sheila is a force to be reckoned with because there's no reasoning with her until her temper runs its course and she often lets her emotions control her behavior- which can be quite bad.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Subverted; she has lived the high life with Bob Guccione in his 35-million-dollar mansion for 10 years, but bounced from guy to guy because her temper evidently makes it difficult to hold relationships. She has trouble juggling life and is no longer living in a mansion.
- Grumpy Bear: The number of times Sheila is pissed off will make even scientific calculators start to sweat.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She admits to a big temper in her bio, and within the first few hours of being in the house, it's obvious it doesn't take much of an insult to set her off.
- Has a Type: In the Diary Room, Sheila says she likes men who work out. She apologized for sounding shallow, but admitted that's her preference.
- Jerkass: Her bitchy behavior when she ended up with Adam was enough that Adam said she was being vicious.Adam (Diary Room session): I'm embarrassed to even be stuck with this girl. Soulmate, my ASS!
- Ma'am Shock: A variant. If she gets called "Ma", expect the storm clouds to rumble.
- Mood-Swinger: Can go from the nice lady setting to the busty bitch setting on her emotional spectrum in no time flat.
- Only Friend: To Allison. She's the only houseguest who really seemed to like her, and the two decided to concoct a lesbian hoax story just to mess with the house.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: So Adam's not attractive? Complain-complain-complain-complain... aaand now Adam and the audience are mad at you for being a jackass.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Discussed when she was paired with Adam as her Soulmate. Sheila said men like this were her type.
- Soulmate: Chelsia
- 10-Minute Retirement: Minutes after leaving the house, he was voted back in.
- The Ace: He won three Veto competitions back-to-back and a Head of Household competition.
- Arch-Enemy: Sheila. James was always set up as one of Sheila's targets because of his close association with Adam and sharing similar turn-offs like smoking that he had, making him The Scapegoat for a lot of her bad temper spells. She would trounce on his name many times and talk behind his back, and eventually, James decided to give her a piece of his mind about it, which was laden with F-bombs and pure, unfiltered rage.
- Back From Eviction: In winter holiday fashion, he returned to the house inside a present (remember this season aired in the winter due to the Writer's Guild of America going on strike earlier in the year). He got the revolving door treatment, though.
- Country Matters: Called Sheila the C-word in his massive blowup at her.
- In-Series Nickname: "Crazy James". At times, the nickname is very accurate.
- No Indoor Voice: One of the loudest contestants in the history of the house when he gets really, really angry.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: He gets backdoored once in Week 6, comes right back into the house, starts racking up wins, and in Week 8, gets backdoored all over again.
- Tall Poppy Syndrome: Voted out twice because he was viewed as a very formidable opponent.
- Took a Level in Badass: When James returned to the house, he started a win streak. It was a short but sweet run.
- Unstoppable Rage: He snaps after learning that he's being used as a scapegoat for a lot of conflict in the house by Sheila following his return to the game, again. This is enough to make him completely lose his temper and confront her in the backyard for the lying and shit-talking going on, where he starts bellowing ferociously for almost three full minutes.
- UR Example: The first person to ever win a favorite houseguest prize of $25,000. The prize was introduced in this season.
- You Gotta Have Red Hair: Famous for his big reddish pink mohawk.
- Bi the Way: Joshuah is bisexual, the first openly bi contestant on the show.
- Drama Queen: If he has a beef with anyone, especially women, he goes absolutely ballistic and calls them the filthiest words in the book. Most memorably, he called Chelsia a "twat", splashed water out of the hot tub, mocked her by whinnying like a horse, and then sprung up out the hot tub screaming and bellowing and having to be corralled by three other houseguests because he was that pissed off.
- Spell My Name with an "S": So... "Joshuah"... Ehhh??
- Big "OMG!": When she gotten her key.
- Heroic RRoD: When Amanda collapsed, Allison suffered anaphylactic shock, which was the second medical emergency in a row and threw the house into a panic.
- Heroic RRoD: Amanda had the first serious medical emergency in the history of the US run of Big Brother, when she fell victim to hypoglycemia. Being made a Have-Not had horrific consequences, because the slop she ate left her malnourished, and because of the rules, even taking something as simple as sugar would be a violation. Amanda became lightheaded and she collapsed in the house and began having convulsions, requiring a doctor to come in and resuscitate her, and was actually waived out of Have-Not status because of how dire her condition became. The houseguests all came to her rescue and James pushed an emergency call buzzer on the wall nearby and beckoned for help, which summoned a team of emergency medical technicians. But on top of that, Allison had a medical emergency at the same time. Amanda was the first person ever medically evacuated from the house and then returned to the game a few days later.
- One Head Taller: With Ryan.
- Token Minority: The only Non-Caucasian in the house.
Neil Garcia note
- Downer Ending: During the middle of the season, the university where one of his relatives went was attacked by a student who was off their psychiatric medication and opened fire, killing that relative along with many others, before the shooter was then killed by police. Neil was told this in the Diary Room and decided he would come back home.
- Non-Gameplay Elimination: Walked on Day 7 due to personal matters. He was the first contestant in the US run to walk off the competition.
- Token Minority: This season's gay houseguest. Joshuah is set up as his partner, a bisexual man.
- Did Not Think This Through: Jacob's master plan amounted to spreading a lie about one houseguest, Parker, in front of his teammate. Said teammate immediately went to Parker. The eviction was almost guaranteed to land on Adam and Sheila because the two were clashing and causing mayhem in the house. That is, until Jacob stupidly made himself the biggest target of all.
- The Gadfly: Jacob had no dirt on Parker. He simply invented some garbage that Parker was a snake. Too bad it was right at the start of the game and before anybody had done anything to merit that kind of slander.
- Jerkass: Jacob never knew when to shut his mouth in the house, which led to him becoming an easy target and the first boot.
- Too Dumb to Live: Picked a fight with Parker days into the season and sank his game almost immediately. His partner was lucky because she got a second chance to go into the game despite his idiotic behavior.
- Your Cheating Heart: Admitted to having previously cheated on Sharon