The main character: snarky, street-smart, and cynical. She takes the offer of go and study in Hopewell while living with her aunt Maja instead of dealing with a foster home. She's Jake's cousin from her mother's side, from the original El Club de Hopewell.
- Ambiguously Bi: Doesn't have an issue to point out the beauty aspects of her two friends, but doesn't seem to be truly a lesbian either.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She does actually a lot more Book Smart that she likes to admit.
- Broken Bird: Troubled home, jumping all over the foster system.
- Catchphrase: "Shut up, O'Brien!"
- Class Clown: In a more snarky way than most examples of this trope.
- Deadpan Snarker: Related to above.
- Expy: Of her cousin, Jake.
- Fangirl: Joan Jett is her idol. And to a lesser degree, Julian Casablanca from The Strokes.
- Global Ignorance: Geography is not her strong side.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: So, she's a trouble-maker and a delinquent with problems to trust in most people, but she's incredible loyal to those few who she deems reliable.
- The Lad-ette: From time to time.
- The Stoner: A proud Hopewell tradition.
- Street Smart: She had to be, in order to survive.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She doesn't have a problem with wearing dresses or other nice clothes... specially when she was to go in front of a judge.
- The Trickster: Part of her trouble-maker personality.
- Troubled, but Cute: In O'Brien's words: "She's like a female James Dean".
Harriet's best friend. She also comes from out of town, from a rural part of the country she declares as "too isolated", so she seems fascinated by pretty mundane aspects of modern life, going from celebrities to gadgets like smartphones. She's pretty optimistic and always looks at the bright side of the life, no matter what.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Naive and adorable all around, but she has seen things, and she's not afraid to fight.
- The Cutie: Overall, nice and (almost) always smiling.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Long, blond hair, and...
- Innocent Blue Eyes: ...to boot.
- Only Sane Woman: Oddly enough. At least, compared to the trouble-maker of Harriet and the academic-obsessed Dalia.
- The Pollyanna: No matter what.
- Stepford Smiler: Type I.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: From time to time.
- Asian and Nerdy: From Filipino background
- Brainy Brunette: One of the smartest girl in Hopewell High.
- Education Mama: More like "Papa", but still counts.
- Meaningful Name: Named after Corazón Aquino (Former president of Phillipines)
- No Social Skills: Part of being raised by a father that put special focus on academics, but not as much as socialization.
- Teacher's Pet: The "to-go" student Kovacs uses to see if anyone, at all, understood his class.
Jeremy LiebmannOne of the most popular guys in Hopewell High: rich, handsome, athletic, he expresses a very special interest in Jo early on the series.
- All Jews Are Ashkenazi: From Central Europe background.
- Big Man on Campus: Lives up to this trope.
- The Dandy: A sharp-dressed man, and part of his attractive.
O'BrienHarriet's favorite victim for her pranks.
- The Ditz: Not exactly the brightest bulb around.
- Extreme Doormat: Of Harriet's pranks.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted: he's actually quite laid-back.
- Last-Name Basis: Everybody knows it as "O'Brien". No one is truly sure which's his first name.
Fareed DirawiJeremy's best friend. Almost as popular as he is, he's the son of Palestinian immigrants and he has a pretty much spoiled existence.
- Camp Straight: Stylish, well-dressed and 100% heterosexual.
- Casanova Wannabe: Even if he's not bad-looking, he seems to put a little too effort.
- Immigrant Patriotism: Not himself, since he's actually Canadian-born, but his parents: from going to every game of the Mapple Leafs to learning "O Canada" in both English and French, they are really, REALLY proud of their new country.
- Lovable Jock: Part of the Football team, and quite popular among almost all his peers.
Charlotte GrahamPart of the theater club, and an aspiring actress that has actually managed to get a couple of gigs in the world of advertisement.
- Alpha Bitch: Probably the closest thing we have in the book.
- Dumb Blonde: Not the dumbest character around, but she doesn't express that much interest in academics as she does in her acting aspirations. As such, she struggles to even get decent grades.
Tyler Mc BrideA young aspiring musician who fell hard for Dalia.
- Garage Band: Guitarrist and vocalist.
A sarcastic, pessimistic girl, and the only First Nation student in Hopewell High.
Prof. KovacsEnglish teacher, and the closest thing Harriet has to a "father figure".
- Deadpan Snarker: Jaded and witty, with more years than he intended to spent on the public education system.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's not bad, just overworked and cynical.
- Last-Name Basis: First name, Patrick.
- Sophisticated as Hell: A natural part of being both an academic and someone with a very short temper.