Warning: all spoilers are unmarked.
SHSL Art Historian
A living, breathing, art history textbook, Akae Kase is here to tell you about all the drama that went down 700 years ago and how it influenced that one painting by that one artist, and why you should totally care about it! The redhead, half Polish and half Japanese, is a loud, overly-talkative, but kind person, who loves making new friends. If youre a nice individual, chances are Akae will like you and will go out of her way to get to know a little bit more about you. Dont mind someone who talks at a million kilometers per second for hours and hours? Then say hi to Akae, and perhaps youll learn a thing or two about art and its history as well!
The sixth culprit, executed for the murders of An and Shun in Chapter 5.
- Fiery Redhead: She's made it clear she has a lot of fight in her from the beginning, given she slapped Mizuiro after an argument.
Akemi Al Amari
This person who is she? Clearly she attends Hopes Peak, but her talent is marked with three question marks. Not two, not four, but three. Well, she definitely seems to enjoy formal dress. Perhaps shes SHSL Fashion Model? However, she definitely has not appeared in any fashion magazines. What she has, however, is appear in the local news in Tokyo, detailing the unlawful detention of one Akemi Al Amari
The ninth victim, killed by Arashi in Chapter 6.
- Honor Before Reason: In particular, she reveals her strength in the third trial proudly, even going so far as to kiss her bicep. Not a smart thing to do when all the class knows about the killer is their small size and great strength.
- Japanese Delinquents: Was seemingly involved with these in her backstory.
- Teens Are Short: Eighteen, and 5'1".
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: Bright yellow eyes, and she certainly is sneaky!
Conor Breagadoir/Anguo Lee
SHSL Hurler (Not a Hope's Peak student)
Conor Breagadoir seemed to burst out of nowhere onto the hurling scene! His schooling was pretty normal for most of his life. He went to a good, highly-rated Irish school, which taught him maths, languages, and, perhaps most importantly, hurling. There was no formal hurling class, but he learned it through recess periods, and he fell head over heels in love with the sport. In middle school, he joined the schools hurling team, and was eventually noticed by the manager of the professional Kilkenny hurling team. He was applauded for his advanced skill so much so that he was asked to join the Kilkenny team. Naturally, Conor accepted, since it meant money for his family, fame for his name, and hurling for his time, and he has been playing professionally ever since. Hopes Peak Academy noticed him when Kilkenny won the 2015 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship, with Conor playing as the teams full forward.
The fourth culprit, but he isn't executed for his murder of Kayo due to someone else's false confession. However, his luck doesn't last for long, and he's the seventh victim, killed by Akae in Chapter 5.
- Berserk Button: It seems to be people getting his name wrong.
- Canon Foreigner: He started out in Class Midori, but was switched into Aoi shortly after prologue began, hence why he is on this character page.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His green eyes have a four-pointed star surrounding the pupil.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Red hair, green eyes, is it any surprise he's Irish? As it turns out, this was purposely invoked in story.
- Punny Name: The second trial reveals that he was hiding his entire identity beneath the guise of Conor Breagadoir. He was trying to fool all the students. Conor is a con man.
SHSL App Developer
It wasnt exactly headline news when the main person behind the concept of BlueMoon, one of the countrys most downloaded mobile organization apps was outed as being a high-school student who apparently began developing it mostly out of boredom, but it definitely was news that raised a few eyebrows. Hailing from Naka-ku, Okayama, Kayo Nagase is something of a mystery, he has engaged in several online interviews about the app and its planned updates. But with a tendency to change topic when a question gets too personal, not all that much is really known about Nagases personal life, only his unwavering devotion to the project and somewhat eccentric disposition. While very few of Nagases previously released apps seem to have ever gained much publicity, BlueMoon's overall success, along with Nagases passion for the project seem to be what attracted Hopes Peaks interest.
The fourth victim, killed by a mystery culprit (later revealed to be An) in Chapter 4.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: While he's definitely talented at what he does, as evident in his title, his eccentricity tends to make him come off as such.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Tends to come off as extremely eccentric in pretty much every situation, and does things in a completely absurd and roundabout manner, even when it's something completely mundane and simple.
- Exotic Eye Designs: While they aren't really visible on his sprite due to their colour, he has Xs in the place of pupils.
- First-Name Basis: Refers to pretty much everyone as [firstname]-chan as a default, no matter how well he knows them, which can get awkward to say the least.
- Lethal Chef: Has attempted to make cake on a stovetop and fried sugar as a "treat".
- Nephewism: Lives with his aunt and grandparents.
- The Nicknamer: He calls An either Arm-Arm-chan or Grandpa-chan.
- Sweet Tooth: He outright refuses to eat anything that he doesn't think is sweet enough, with very few exceptions.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He absolutely adores any sort of candy (bar chocolate), and especially soda-flavoured candy.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Well, not so much the accent itself, he clearly speaks in a Honichi dialect, but just how exaggerated it is, and how much he slurs his words together.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: While he hasn't really done much yet, he did end up looting makeup from the victim's room in chapter 2.
SHSL Theater Makeup Artist
Lily Badens is a well-known makeup artist around UK, and thats an accomplishment on its own, especially with being a teenager! She has been involved in being parts of makeup teams and even going solo for prepping the many actors and actresses for their bigtime theater shows in Europe. Even in the bright spotlight, her talent as a makeup artist shines through; creating silhouettes and imagery that only could have been imagined and never applied onstage. Currently she is working alongside Japanese and English theater productions to bring Western plays into Japan, with her talent being the selling point of these theater productions.
The second victim, killed by Valentino in Chapter 2.
- Bi the Way: In her talk with Akae, she mentions realizing she had a crush on a girl named Iris, and a boy named Tohru.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and brown eyes.
As an employee of a cleaning outsourcing business managed by his grandparents, Mitsuki Arai has taken on a wide variety of janitorial jobs and performed them with efficiency far beyond that expected of a mere high school student, let alone the average adult in his field. His uncanny ability to eliminate even the most daunting of messes in a fraction of the time it would have taken most anyone else quickly made his grandparents business one of the best-known in Kitakyushu, as clients from all walks of life sought out his cleaning talents. Eventually, rumors of the unusually talented young janitor caught the attention of Hopes Peak Academy, who wasted no time in sending Mitsuki an invitation to the school after learning of his stellar work history. Very little is known about Mitsuki beyond said work history, and judging by his general reluctance to share much in the way of personal information, he prefers to keep it that way.
Assists Shirou in killing Kumi during Chapter 7, although this fact is never uncovered by the class. Survives to the endgame.
- Emotionless Boy: Seems to be the result of his timidity and reluctance to draw notice to himself rather than his being a robot. Despite being a machine, he does have the capacity for emotions - he just represses them heavily.
- Friendless Background: Was socially isolated at his old school, leading him to treat the stay at the castle as a golden opportunity to make friends for once.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Reflecting his rather withdrawn, timid nature. They end up concealing the fact that Kumi broke the eye covered by his bangs when he was helping Shirou murder them, keeping him beneath suspicion.
- The Quiet One: Mitsuki really is not one to say much without outside prompting.
- Quizzical Tilt: Has a tendency to do this when faced with perplexing situations or otherwise confused.
- Raised by Grandparents: He has spent a good part of his life living with his maternal grandparents.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Reveals himself to be this during Chapter 5 while underneath the influence of truth serum.
- Shrinking Violet: He's neither the most outgoing or most confident of individuals.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Despite his usual lack of emotion, he's a genuinely friendly and kind-hearted person.
- Sweet Tooth: Has an affinity for candy and would gladly eat sugar out of the bag were he not afraid of looking weird for it. Justified as he runs off of a sugar-powered biofuel cell - he needs to eat sugar-rich foods to keep running.
- Undying Loyalty: Develops this towards Shirou after the two reveal their secrets to one another in the wake of the third trial. Ultimately, this loyal streak culminates in him helping Shirou kill Kumi in order to protect the rest of the class.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's terrified of water and is unable to bring himself near any pools, lakes or the like in the game setting. Naturally, this is because he'd short-circuit like most any other piece of electronic equipment if he fell in.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or purple, in his case. May be justified, considering he's not human to begin with.
- Younger Than They Look: He's chronologically four years old but looks like a regular teenager.
SHSL Springboard Diver
Half British, half Japanese, Mizuiro (Mitchel) Ren is the SHSL Springboard Diver at Hopes Peak Academy. First noticed at the age of 10 when he placed first at a diving competition in Australia, he continues to take time off from school to compete internationally. Currently of 19 years of age, he can typically be found working at the HPA Pool with Daiki Kageyama and Suzuka Sawamura.
The fifth culprit, executed for the murders of Ayano and Artie in Chapter 5.
- The Nicknamer: Typically assigns a nickname to someone the moment he meets them, and rarely changes it unless he cares about them.
Ever feel like befriending a tall, aloof guy who loves to hug people? Well, now its possible with Valentino in the house! As a gondola rower from Venice, Valentino has terrific balance, co-ordination and a wonderful singing voice - although his sluggish movement and general laziness often overshadow his good points. Patient enough to rival a saint, he might forget others do not quite appreciate his slow, monotone speech or minimal emotion, but it hasnt hindered him so far. Doesnt stop him from sassing people, either.
The second culprit, executed for the murder of Lily in Chapter 2.
- Beneath the Mask: Valentino always wears an emotionless expression, but he certainly has personality. What he really thinks or how he feels about a person is impossible to figure out from his exterior alone. He revealed to be very annoyed at highly emotional, dramatic people during a conversation with Mizuiro.
- Big Brother Instinct: If anyone is in trouble, Valentino wants to help. It may take a while for this instinct to kick in, but when it does, he really will set anything aside to help someone. His motives for such are unknown.
- Rapunzel Hair: Valentino's hair canonically reaches his mid-thigh.
- The Slacker: Valentino is very lazy. He'd much rather sleep than have anything to do with murders or other despair shenanigans; but alas, he can't.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Valentino is considered very handsome/pretty by common standards, and he is coincidentally the tallest of his class.
- Tragic Keepsake: Valentino's scarf is a memento from his deceased brother. This is not hidden information, but Valentino doesn't announce it at every turn either.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His dark blue hair is natural, believe it or not.
SHSL Long Distance Runner
Nothing will ever cut down Yuudai in a competition! Initially unknown to the public, the name of Yuudai Akiyama rose quickly in a small school, and then expanded to the media who then focused on the small boy who always reached the top. Originally from a village, the blond was known for rarely staying indoors. Yuudai would run anywhere as he was free to go, with fierce determination. Was he ever tired of running? No, never! This very same determination ensured a place for the boy in school competitions; this is also where he took the specialty only in long distance running. In such short while, he easily reached the first place and managed to break every single record he himself surpassed all the time. Despite, or maybe because of, his short height, Yuudai quickly made a name for himself in the news. In addition of the recognition he gained, some people noted that the boy was far from Well, kind. Wherever he has malicious intents or not is unknown to this day; and it did not stain his reputation as a star runner, despite the childish air radiating from the boy.
The third culprit, executed for the murder of Charger in Chapter 3.
For information on Kumi, see the character page for the first game.