The character page for Beyond Despairs Bounds.
Warning: all spoilers are unmarked.
For the sequels:
Ai Aizawa/Na Lee
SHSL Paparazza (SHSL Blackmailer)
If youre talking tabloids, the name Ai Aizawa will surely come up. A paparazza working for the weekly magazine Yansin Beki, shes notorious for her prolificness and her accuracy. She seems to know just when celebrities are making trouble, and pounces on them with a high success rate; shes rarely without some sort of news story. This proficiency at her job has made Yansin Beki incredibly successful, and made many others fear seeing the flash of her camera at their window. Her dark hair and dress makes her nigh invisible in the night, but she certainly makes her presence known.
One victim of the third murder.
- Alliterative Name: Ai Aizawa.
- But Not Too Foreign: Part of her Chapter 2 secret is that she's Chinese. However, the secret also reveals that she's been living in Japan from a very young age, hence her proficiency with the language.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": The fact that her birth name is only revealed on her Monofile would imply this is the case. Confirmed in the Youkai mastermind trial, where she corrects the Queen of Spades on it (but doesn't bat an eye at being called Lois Lane).
- An Ice Person: After her death, she learns ice magic from Kumi.
- Paparazzi: She is the Paparazzi. Subverted when it's revealed that it's not her official Hope's Peak talent.
- Parental Abandonment: According to her secret, she was abandoned in Japan by her family.
- Rapunzel Hair: She's got four feet of the stuff.
- Traumatic Haircut: Her body was found with most of her long hair snipped off.
SHSL Street Artist
Somehow always found on skates, the elusive street artist Angelos was eventually discovered after 6 years. Spanning from small cute butterflies to large-scale waves, Angelos has made her mark in Tokyo becoming well-known and even managing to make her art become a public attraction. Every morning its a wait-and-see to find out where the Midnight Painter had painted her latest piece.
Not the Chapter 4 murderer, but is executed anyway due to a mistrial.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Won't take them off during the first trial, but the second body drop has her forgetting to put them on entirely, revealing the scars on them.
- Not Helping Your Case: In the beginning of the first trial, Angelos was high up on the list of suspects. She promptly began the trial by yelling and getting mad, drawing a lot of suspicion towards her.
- Only One Name: Only goes by Angelos.
SHSL Good Luck
This previously ordinary girl has cropped up as the winner of the coveted Good Luck lottery for Hopes Peak; an immigrant from Spain with no special talents other than her optimistic attitude and a way with cats. It actually seems like an incredibly unlucky coincidence, since her older brother was a talent student at Hopes Peak before his death.
- Born Lucky: Since she won the Good Luck lottery, though that's also questionable now that she's stuck in a mutual killing situation.
- Break the Cutie: Once she's given her screen for the third motive, which shows her older brother, who she thought to be dead.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's moved from Spain, but knows Japanese. However, it is obvious to look at her that she isn't from Japan.
SHSL Wake Surfer
Surfs up! Cady Lancaster is the three-time youngest champion of the World Wakesurfing Competition and shes got the sporty personality to match. Cadys always up for a good time, though dont try to drag her to a party. She once skipped her own birthday party. But set her up with a body of water and some water sports, and shell be happy.
She was the second culprit, having killed Maiori.
- But Not Too Foreign: Another one of the many students with a clearly 'not Japanese' name, making it clear that she is not of Japanese descent. However, she has displayed that she does know Japanese well enough to get by.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Blue and blue!
- Signature Hair Decs: Her hair clip is important, because that's what sold her out in the end.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She does, in fact, have blue hair.
SHSL Standup Comedian
Dakota lives in a beachy neighborhood, shes also the SHSL standup comic in town, mostly because nobody else can stand up to the gut-busting humor she can dish out, the main reason behind that is that nobody else can say her material with a straight face.
She is assaulted in Chapter 6, but ultimately survives.
- Tap on the Head: The mastermind beans her with a brick in Chapter 6, to the point where the wound bleeds, but she's perfectly capable of participating in the trial that follows.
SHSL Movie Critic
Eliot is a Syrian boy who moved to Japan when he was about 8. He runs a practically famous blog as a well-known (and feared) movie critic. He posts the occasional book or play criticism as well. Hes 17 years old, an only child, and lives with both parents. Hes got a very good head on his shoulders, but he never quite got the hang of getting along with people, and he can be a little abrasive due to his brutal honesty. Besides that, his fame has gone to his head a bit and he thinks pretty highly of himself.
- Bromantic Foil: Eliot is down to Earth, bordering pessimistic, and snarky, while his bro Ryuunosuke is so optimistic that it hurts to watch.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's from Syria, but moved to Japan many years ago and knows Japanese (as well as English) quite well.
- Freak Out: After the third motive is revealed, and again while talking to Ryuu. It ends in Eliot begging for Ryuu to kill him.
SHSL Student Council President
A very well known name at Hope's Peak Academy, Kuroi Kato is the student council president of Hopes Peaks student council. Hes a very diligent and hard-working young man that does his best to make sure that the school is running properly and that the students are happy.
Hes been noted since elementary school to have always been a top student in sports and academics, which got him a scholarship to the elite private school, Mikami Academy, where he had pulled off the largest and most successful school festival that garnered a lot of attention and praise from the school board and student body. This also managed to catch the attention of Hopes Peak where he has been awarded with the title of Super High School Level Student Council President.
- Alliterative Name: Kuroi Kato
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kuroi is normally polite and mild-tempered, even addressing Monokuma with the polite suffix of, "-san"; and yet it was Kuroi of all people to attack Monokuma to defend Sachiko.
- Blind Without 'Em: His vision is apparently so bad that without his glasses everyone looks like coloured blobs to him.
- Break the Cutie: Subverted. Despite getting his eye damaged and having his childhood friend tortured all in the same chapter, he remains calm and level-headed. This is actually double subverted; he's a Stepford Smiler.
- Class Representative: He was chosen by the headmaster of Hope's Peak to go to Kaiyou with the others.
- Eye Scream: When confronting Monokuma, who had just stabbed Sachiko, he gets a nice slash to the eye.
- Japanese School Uniform: He wears a gakuran.
- The Leader: He is the Student Council President, after all!
- Married to the Job: He's very dedicated to his responsibilities as the SHSL Student Council President, but this proves to be a rather fatal flaw for him since this attitude is what gets in the way of him making close relationships.
- Nice Guy: Nobody (so far) seems to have a problem with him as he remains polite to everyone he talks to.
- Only Sane Man: Has yet to really yell at any of the students and remains calm throughout all of the trials so far.
- Punny Name: "Kuroi" is written as "黒井". The first character of his name is "黒", which means "black". His last name said out loud sounds like "cat". Given his appearance, the pun should be clearer.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black:
- He shows up to one of the class trials in his school uniform while everyone else was (presumably) in their pjs. Apparently he slept in his uniform.
- Subverted as his new sprites has him wearing casual clothes after he gets attacked by Monokuma.
- Trauma Conga Line: Dude lost his fucking eye' and found out the HPA Student Council members, which are comprised of all his friends were being tortured. This happened in literally the same day.
Maiori is the star of a TV show about ghosts and other paranormal phenomena. The show is a complete joke, but she doesnt know that. However, her enthusiasm and charm captured the hearts of Japan, as well as Hopes Peaks faculty.
She's the second victim.
- Dies Wide Open: Her body is found in some water, eyes open in shock.
SHSL Object Heads
An artisan of quite the unique craft, Masami Kojima is a sculptor of wearable object heads, and their online shop, Faceless Portrait, is mentioned from time to time in Harajuku. Their skill is envied among many the avant-garde fashion designer and their creativity and attention to detail is simply to die for, but in person, Masami is a much different person than their legacy makes them out to be. Quiet, shy, and awkward, its a bit hard to believe that theyre a leading beacon in the cutthroat world of fashion. Show an interest in purchasing one of their works, however, and theyll show off the business-oriented side of themself that let them defend their niche so effectively!
The Chapter 3 murderer, responsible for the deaths of Ai and Moeko.
- Animal Motifs: Masami has a fish motif, first hinted at by the fact they wear a fishbowl on their head.
- Death by Irony: They get their face practically slashed off and then get decapitated. By entities impersonating their moms. Who, coincidentally, were the people they intended to save by killing people.
- Extreme Doormat: Anything Ryoko Yomihiro tells them to do, they'll bend over backwards to do to the best of their ability.
- Multicolored Hair: Though it has a bit of a bluish tint through the fishbowl, their hair is black with the ends dyed blue.
- Nice Hat: Nice fishbowl.
SHSL TV Producer
The name Mitsuo Yomihiro isnt quite as well-known as that of his sister Ryoko, host of Pātītaimu!(Party Time!). But if you look close enough, you can see him credited as the producer of her show. He was always behind her career goals, working his hardest to support her however he could. When she struck it big with Party Time!, who else would she want producing her show other than the one who helped her get that far to begin with? Hes proven himself studious and reliable, the firm, down-to-earth voice that keeps his sisters show running, day in and day out.
The Chapter 4 victim.
- Break the Cutie: When his roommate dies. Even after the trial, he's clearly not okay, especially since he still has to stay in the room they once shared. He's very aware that she's no longer there.
- Heroic BSoD: Upon discovering the body of his first roommate, he's inconsolable for a good period of time. Even once that passes, it happens yet another time during the third trial, after the execution.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A very, very dark blue, but still blue!
Prince Akihiko Oshiro
The soon-to-be leader of a tiny island nation, Prince Akihiko Oshiro is the SHSL Prince. Hes a bit shy but coming from an island with a population of about 100 people its to be expected. He scares easily but deep down hes a good friend to have.
The victim of Chapter 5.
- Blue Blood: He is a prince, after all.
- The Good King: Or rather the prince. Chapter 3 shows that he really cares for the people of his country, as they are the ones on his screen.
- Modest Royalty: Actually very shy and seems to think less of himself than the other students.
Queen of Spades/Chinatsu Watanabe
SHSL Vigilante (SHSL Comic Book Collector)
Very little is known about the Queen of Spades. Of what is known, it appears that the Queen of Spades has only been active for about a year. The only real evidence of her existence in an online archive, most of which seems to be written by only two people. Despite this, she has become a popular myth among high school students. It seems that there is a story being written about her.
She's the fifth killer.
- Animal Motifs: The Queen of Spades has a dog motif.
- Boobs of Steel: She's rather... large for a vigilante.
- Important Haircut: After Masami's execution, she cut her hair to match theirs.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's displayed an ability to be a bit of a Jerkass, but she's also very kind and considerate towards those that are suffering.
- The Nicknamer: Big time. She has a nickname for everyone she's interacted with, and a few she didn't, aside from the prince and Rosario. This nicknames include:
- Ai as Lois Lane.
- Angelos as Hell Gall.
- Eliot as Robin.
- Maiori as Boo.
- Masami as Fishbowl.
- Mitsuo as Kitty or Kitty Boy.
- Moeko as Tea Time.
- Ryuu as Pop Culture Aquaman.
- Pet the Dog: Despite being kind of a Jerkass, she does her best to take care of Mitsuo after the first trial.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: In the literal sense, though she tries very hard to remain in control because she believes people need her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Under her helmet, it's teal, despite the blonde ponytail coming out of her helmet.
SHSL Pokémon Master
Hailing from scenic Lima, Peru, Rosario is the five time defending world champion of the Pokémon video game conference. Coming out of nowhere one day she took the competition with Pokémon that surprised the world. Remember that kid that won with Pachirisu? This girl's done it, been there, and won the worlds sweeping the competition with a Magikarp. If her mastery of the games isnt impressive enough. Shes completely mastered every spin-off, ranking in the top five of every Pokémon shuffle competition, Rosario holds the world record for speed run completing the classic Nintendo 64 spin off Pokémon Snap, and owns almost every Pokémon card ever made. Speaking of the cards, its safe to mention shes a contender in the world championship for the card game. Its just not where her focus is at. Everything about Pokémon shes mastered. Hope's Peak was drawn to her colossal worldwide following, even if it was just Pokémon.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Pink hair and pink eyes.
- Due to the Dead: Shown in the first chapter investigation when she prays over Fumiyo's body.
- Gamer Chick: Involved in her character as she is the SHSL Pokémon master.
- Only One Name: Introduces herself as Rosario. Just Rosario.
- Pink Means Feminine: The her hair is pink! Some of her clothes are pink! Pink all around!
- Unlimited Wardrobe: She's seen in three outfits by the second chapter.
SHSL Talk Show Host
If you havent heard of Ryoko Yomihiro, you may want to consider crawling out from under that rock youve been living under. Being born to two parents that, for the most part, live in the public eye and on camera, Ryokos rise to fame was hardly a surprise to anyone. What was a surprise was her incredible charm and wit on screen, paired with the ability to make even the most seasoned talk show veterans quake in their boots under the mercy of her scrutiny. Its pretty entertainingand entertainment is her business! Just last year her talk show, Pātītaimu!(Party Time!), was ranked among the top ten most viewed television shows in Japanand even stole the number one spot with its New Years special! What a cool cat.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: She puts peppers in her ice cream.
- Important Haircut: Chopped all of her hair off shortly before (or after?) the chapter four motive began.
- Informed Attractiveness: Her beauty has been brought up in both narration and by characters on more than a few occasions. It doesn't hurt that she's essentially a celebrity.
- Little Miss Snarker: As a member of the sass squad, Ryoko isn't afraid to shoot someone down, be it live on her show, or among her fellow classmates, to her fellow classmates.
- Playing with Fire: It's revealed in Chapter 4's trial that Kumi taught her fire magic. Unfortunately, this magic is removed after she tries to throw fireballs at Hunter.
Dancing through the sky, Ryuunosuke Sakakibara is the self-proclaimed worlds best acrobat!!!!!!!! Starting at the ripe age of 12, hes been charming and winning over crowds for five years now with his spectacular displays of agility and flexibility. Never have you seen someone so effortlessly look like theyre soaring. With the energetic personality to go with his physically demanding work, youre likely to remember this kid, whether you see him or hear him from a distance.
- Allergic to Routine: He's easily bored and always looking for something else to do. Once he finds something else, he gets bored with that, too!
- Beware the Nice Ones: Once the third trial starts, he loses his mind, knowing that his roommate was the one behind it and being determined to nail them down.
- Break the Cutie: He's beaten up, bound, and gagged by an unknown assailant during the Chapter 3 murder. Upon waking, he also learns that two of his friends are dead. He's not doing very well.
- Bromantic Foil: Ryuu is ridiculously optimistic and bubbly, while his bro Eliot is full of snark and much more down to Earth.
- Cynicism Catalyst: The Chapter 3 trial. That's what happens when your roommate murders your friends and pushes you down the stairs!
- FaceHeel Turn: Chapter 3 trial begins this motion, and by the time the chapter 4 trial is over, he's done a very solid turn from light-hearted and perpetuating obliviousness to distrusting most, if not all of his classmates and no longer caring.
- Heroic BSoD:
- Sachiko's getting stabbed, his sister is getting tortured... It's a bad time.
- Has a much more serious one the moment he realizes Masami is the culprit that murdered two people. Ryuu becomes more infuriated than he's ever been, and is beyond ruthless in his accusations because he refuses to let someone he trusted get away with murder.
- Motor Mouth: Please, stop talking, Ryuu.
- The Nicknamer: Affectionately refers to everyone, by default, as "name-chan".
- The Resenter: No matter what the reasoning may be, he was so livid with Masami for killing Moeko and Ai that the execution barely sparked a reaction.
- Stepford Smiler: Displayed as Queen of Spades chews him out, and he proceeds to smile as he always does and agrees with it all.
SHSL Relationship Counselor
Did your sweetheart forget about your anniversary? Did they forget today was your birthday? Then there's a good chance that you may need to visit Sachiko-chan, known for her sassy but great advice Sachiko-chan is one of the best Relationship Counselors at Hope's Peak. It would be hard to miss the girl despite not knowing who she is though, towering at the height of six foot seven and flowing green hair, the girl is easily seen.
- Aloof Ally: She doesn't seem to want to go around killing anyone, but to say she sincerely cares about all of them would be an overstatement.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Becomes a lot kinder as time goes on.
- Due to the Dead: After the trial to solve Fumiyo's murder, Sachiko tells Ryuu that she wants to pay respect to the victim.
- Little Miss Snarker: Very light on the little part, though.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Upon being stabbed by Monokuma, her response is a few choice swears. Later on, when she wakes up, she just asks Ryuu if she looked cool.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: You gotta have green hair that looks like seaweed.
Suzuka Sawamura is currently the head Deck Supervisor of Hopes Peak Academy Pool. She attained her title of SHSL Lifeguard after becoming the youngest lifeguard ever to place first in all categories in the Royal Life Saving Society Commonwealth Lifesaving Championships. In addition to being certified in all forms of life guarding, Suzuka also has all her Instructors certifications, and occasionally teaches NLS. Prior to her enrollment in Hopes Peak Academy, Suzuka has help to coach a prestigious middle school competitive swim team that has won Nationals for three years straight.
- Heroic BSoD: Upon Sachiko getting stabbed, Kuroi losing vision in one of his eyes, and the added stress of her screen during the third motive, Suzuka does not have a time.
Takumi grew to fame after taking over the shop and making jewelry on order and fast. Everyone would be impressed by this young mans assiduity and focus. He did come from a poor background but his fascination with gems and love of precision has helped him gaining interest in the jewelry area. One day, hearing that a small boy would learn the art of jewels, the once recognized jeweler took Takumi under her wing and taught him that art. The 7 years old boy learned how to make jewelry and while at the start it was quite nice, by age 10, he already made beautiful necklaces who was ordered for graduation students in a bal, and the jewels lasted forever. One day on age 15, few weeks before his birthday, there was a small while left before a huge gala with actors and singers, one designer in particular asked for a specific jewel to use and the colors at a very last minute. No one could respond to his crazy request. However among skilled and renowned jewelers, stood one teenager who claimed he could do it. He earned a lot of mockery, but Takumi didnt care and managed to respond to the request few hours after the request and the quality of the product was so excellent, no one dared to laugh at him. After the gala, the celebrity wanted to see who made it and talked to the teenager in enthusiasm. Using their status, they pushed Takumi to the public, who then recognized his amazing natural talent, hence Hopes Peak Academy sending him an invitation. Takumi did not hesitate and agreed to go to school so he could study easier.
A person in a fox mask who stopped Monokuma from killing Fumiyo during chapter one. While they seem relatively opposed to the idea of mutual murder going on, they haven't stopped any of the things Monokuma has done. Are they on the side of the students, or do they simply not care enough to help?
To the shock of many, they are the tenth victim of the sequel, killed by the culprit of Chapter 7 (heavily implied to be Shirou).
- Anticlimax: Their mask is knocked off when they first appear in the sequel, revealing their face. Their face seems perfectly normal.
- Black Sheep: They can't perform the magic that the rest of their clan is capable of. This is a big part of why they were disowned.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: While they have no problems with telling students to kill one another, they also have no problem trying to help them in other ways if asked.
- Cool Mask: They always wear a very nice fox mask.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Their cause of death is spinal cord transection, and part of their spine is visible in their body art. This in addition to the fact that they were burned from the nearby temple fire. Ouch.
- The Faceless: They almost never take their mask off.
- Fangs Are Evil: Subverted in that they aren't really evil; they just aren't on the side of the students. However, it can't be debated that their canines are sharp.
- The Gadfly: Conversations they've had with Kayo (where they seem to be deliberately difficult) and Hanzo (dropping a glass bottle of antidote onto the floor after he demanded it) cements this.
- Mysterious Past: They even make reference to it in the second game. Fortunately, the second game also sheds some light on it.
- An Odd Place to Sleep: Though they have a bedroom in the castle, they've slept on the rafters, in the basement, outside...
- Self-Made Orphan: They lost control of their powers when they were young, accidentally burning down the castle they called home. Since their family were bound to the castle...
- Trademark Favorite Food: Their favorite food is strawberry mochi, but in the game itself, they've been seen more frequently with sandwiches.
- Unreliable Narrator: They claim they always tell the truth, but they haven't revealed everything.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Their hair is light blue.
- Younger Than They Look: Would you believe that they're only 19? It's probably the mask; when their face is revealed in the sequel, they do look rather young.
The shopkeeper. He's a small eel who lives in a tank, talking to the students who come in to use their coins. Always having something nice to say, he's well liked by all of the students, which is a stark contrast to his fellow NPCs. Also gives useful testimony to students if he happens to overhear something during a murder.
- Out of Focus: Rarely appears after Chapter 2.
A young boy with purple hair. One of the many NPCs who watch the trials. Behaves like a cheerful young boy, but has a darker side to him. He was the culprit of the first murder, and seemingly was executed, but come the beginning of chapter two, he was back. According to him, he had to do it, and he's 'sorry'.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: He shows up a lot more than the other NPCs in the first game. This tendency was greatly toned down in the sequel.
Sea King and Queen
A mermaid and merman who live by the docks. While the King cannot speak, the Queen speaks for them both, and claims that while they can't bring the children home, they are doing their best to protect them from what lies in the depths of the sea itself. Ryuu takes it upon himself to name them Natacha and Theo.
- Out of Focus: They didn't appear on the main blog after their introduction, and their character blog has no posts on it at all.
The mouse living in Dakota's bed. It's unknown to what extent he can communicate, as Dakota has said very little about him.
- The Ghost: Only mentioned by Dakota. Is he real? Who knows.
- Pokémon Speak: When Ai finds him in Youkai, all he says to her is George.
- Real After All: Ai finds him under the equivalent of Dakota's bed in Youkai, and he shows up again during the final investigation. He seems to be real enough.
- Shipper on Deck: His presence in Dakota's bed is what forces Ai and Dakota to share a bed. Given Daikota is a fairly popular ship...
A young girl with cat ears! She appeared in one of the hot springs, and she doesn't seem to like Kumi.
- All There in the Manual: Her name was only publicly revealed in the sequel.
- Out of Focus: Never really appeared publicly again after her initial "discovery." Until the end of the mastermind trial, where she very rapidly came back into focus.
- She Is All Grown Up: She's a little girl in the first game. At the end of the first game and in the second game, she appears as an adult, at her true age.
The prince of Kirandel. After Maru chases Kumi off at the end of the first game, he appears to both the living and the dead students in order to return them back to their world.
- Squishy Wizard: Shinji's a very skilled mage, but also very physically weak.
The patriarch of the Nogitsu clan, and the father of Sora and Kumi. Like the rest of the Nogitsus, he perished when the castle burned down a decade ago.
- The Dreaded: Everyone, including Kumi, fears his name.
- Hate Sink: One of the most despised characters in the BDB canon, and for good reason.
- Offing the Offspring: He's not exactly secretive about wanting to come back to life and kill Kumi.