Warning: The mere existence of certain names on this page will constitute spoilers!
New JerseyDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
The personification of USS New Jersey (BB-62), an original design.
- Amazonian Beauty: She towers well over six feet, is built like a tank, and she's still noted as being quite pretty. At least when she's not scowling or napping.
- She has literally grated cheese on her abs. To make nachos. No, I'm not joking.
- Bi the Way:Both in-story and out, Jersey has taken great notice of how ridiculously attractive several shipgirls are, including Nagato, Mutsu, and Musashi.
- Boisterous Bruiser: A Subversion. She talks up a storm whenever she's not in battle, but drops the bluster for level-headed efficiency when it's time for her to fight.
- Cool Shades: A pair of mirrored aviators that—more often then not—get used to hide some horrible wound on her face.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jersey very rarely gets though a sentence without cursing at least once.
- Eagle Land: She's is brash, loud, unabashedly patriotic, and kind of a jerk but also courageous, fiercely loyal, and takes offense to the idea that she wouldn't fight to honor America's obligations to its allies.
- Flag Bikini: She wears one in the docks instead of going naked like the Japanese girls.
- It's implied that Kongou bought her that swimsuit, meaning that Kongou may have been invoking Gorgeous Gaijin
- Hidden Depths: She knows Japanese, drops a few hints about having at least workable fashion knowledge, and proves herself as an excellent commander.
- Icy Blue Eyes: A reference to the blue dye packs used to mark her shells.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be a huge ass sometimes, but she'll always come though for her friends.
- The Lad-ette: She treated a tube of lipstick like it was a hostile submarine shadowing her for a kill, though it's implied she wasn't always like this. All the girls who haven't seen her since the war call her "Beauty Queen."
- Living Memory: A part of Victory has apparently gotten stuck in her after the original shipgirl was sunk along with her original hull.
- Mama Bear: Mess with the girls she cares about, and if you get lucky, she'll sink you. Pennsylvania...wasn't that lucky.Jersey: "Go back in there, and apologize to Shinano. And then apologize to your sister, and to Jane, and explain why what you did was wrong. And when you're done, report to the Admiral. And pray you get there before my report does." She didn't.
- Sir Swears Alot: Fittingly enough, she swears like a sailor.
- Sherlock Scan: Her advanced radar and CIC suite lets her do this in combat. And even out of combat- she claims that it allows her to determine that Shinano's bust size is larger than that of her older sister Musashi.
- Statuesque Stunner: The Iowa-class were the longest battleships ever built, which translates into a truly towering woman.
WashingtonDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
The personification of USS Washington (BB-56), an original design.
- Big Eater: Her vast appetite, combined with her slender figure, caused Gale all manner of Weight Woe. At least until Gale saw the battleship shaking from hunger when her dinner was an hour late.
- In Wash's defense, she'd also skipped lunch that day.
- Lady of War: Kind, demure, and focused, instead of the more bombastic Jersey.
- Oblivious to Love: She's constantly flirting/showing off her body to Yeoman Gale. Apparently without any knowledge on her part.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: The first hint you get that Wash is there is when she starts talking, usually from right behind you.
KongouDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
The personification of IJN Kongou, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Verbal Tic: It wouldn't be Kongou without The Dess or BURNING LOVE.
KirishimaDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
The personification of IJN Kirishima, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Not So Above It All: Despite initial appearances of being the Only Sane Man, she turns out to be as susceptible to shenanigans as the rest of her class.
HieiDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
The personification of IJN Hiei, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Made of Iron: Averted - A well placed salvo from an Abyssal battleship nearly killed her. The damage she sustained has left her without an arm and out of combat for a VERY long time.
HarunaDeployment: Australian Royal Navy
The personification of IJN Haruna, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Verbal Tic: Haruna is daijoubu.
NagatoDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
The personification of IJN Nagato, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Cuteness Proximity: She has a hamster in her room that she plays with to burn off the cuteness. That way she can focus into The Stoic when she's in battle.
- The Stoic: Her ability to maintain a cool, professional demeanor in almost any situation is uncanny.
MutsuDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
The personification of IJN Mutsu, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Hero of Another Story: Only shows up sporadically in Belated Battleships proper, but she has a much larger role in the A Certain Lady side-story.
- The Tease: constantly teases her Admiral. She even pops up a few times in the comments to harass Jersey with her tiny skirt.
MusashiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
The personification of IJN Musashi, based on the Kantai Collection design.
- Awesome Ego: She's loud, bombastic, and incredibly proud of her own battle prowess. But she does carry the largest naval rifles ever built, and she's got the armor to laugh off torpedo strikes that would cripple even Jersey.
- Badass Boast: Most of her vocabulary, especially when facing down Abyssals, consists of booming declarations that she CANNOT SINK, and daring her enemies to try regardless."My name is Musashi. Second ship of the Yamato class. The last battleship of the Imperial Japanese Navy. If you want a fight here I am."
- Boisterous Bruiser: She's one of the most powerful battleships ever built, she loves to fight, and she likes to make sure everyone knows it.
- Catch-22 Dilemma: The Japanese Navy can't send her out on missions because losing her would mean a massive blow to Japanese morale. And they can't risk sending her out because her anti-air defenses are terrible. But they can't upgrade her anti-air defenses unless she's had combat missions, which would risk sinking her.
- Initially she wasn't allowed to deploy because of another of these. They couldn't deploy her because if she was revealed, the Japanese people would insist on her being part of more missions... but her appetite is so large that Japan can't afford to send her out on missions. For most of the war she was kept secret from everyone because of this, only being let out by virtue of the Northern Princess. They resolve this by having her be assigned pretty much permanently to American Convoy missions, where her eating bill can be picked up by America on the other side of the Pacific.
- Foil: She's almost the mirror image of Jersey, even though neither battleship likes the other very much.
- Gag Boobs: Much to Jersey's immense frustration and confusion.
- No Indoor Voice: She speaks most of her lines at THUNDEROUSLY LOUD VOLUME.
YamashiroDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
The personification of IJN Yamashiro, based on the Kantai Collection design.
ArizonaDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
The personification of USS Arizona (BB-39), an original design.
- New Meat: Her first battle as a shipgirl was the first time she had ever fired her guns in anger, despite her long career before her sinking.
PennsylvaniaDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
The personification of USS Pennsylvania (BB-38), an original design.
- Jerkass: She is not a nice person.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: As Ari gets to witness after the Battle of Woody Island, Pennsy never truly left Pearl Harbor.
USS Texas (BB-35)Deployment: United States Navy - Gulf Fleet
The personification of USS Texas (BB-35), an original design.
USS San Francisco (CA-38)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Boomerang Bigot: She came back as Japanese but has no affection for them whatsoever.
- Naked People Are Funny: shortly after she shows up she goes streaking with Borie.
USS St. Louis (CL-49)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Crazy-Prepared: She always walks around with her five revolvers summoned and ready. The Pearl Harbor attack caught her unawares, and she doesn't want that to happen again.
USS Alaska (CB-1)Deployment: United States Navy - Gulf Fleet
- The Ditz: She is not all there at the best of times.
USS Prinz Eugen(IX-300)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
TenryuuDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- In-Series Nickname: Her own special variant of 'momboat', she is dubbed 'chunnimomboat' by Major Solette.
- Mama Bear: She's an older cruiser, but you do not mess with any of her beloved destroyers.
TatsutaDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
SendaiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- In-Series Nickname: Yasen-Baka is more likely to garner recognition than Sendai's actual name.
NakaDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Gamer Chick: Her gaming computer is astonishingly powerful, and she does regular livestreams.
- Idol Singer: Downplayed. She's still got her singer gimmick, but it shows up more as general PR-savvyness than actual singing.
JintsuuDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
- Beware the Nice Ones: Enjoys sinking Abyssal ships a bit too much. In fact, one of the rules at Sasebo is specifically to not get on her bad side.
- Spanner in the Works: Inadvertenly causes the failure of Albie's summoning by standing near the summoning pool, therefore scaring Albie when she was actually summoned into hiding in the pool for 7 hours.
AtagoDeployment: United States Navy - Gulf Fleet
- Shipper on Deck: She's determined to get Alaska a boy, even when the bumbling large cruiser continually fumbles in her attempts.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Alaska's found quite a few things she'd lost recently after looking in Atago's cleavage. She also keeps bottled water there for when she's on the beach.
MayaDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Sir Swears Alot: Constant exposure to American military personnel has left Maya with a very colorful vocabulary.
TakaoDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
AkagiDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
- Big Eater: She's well known as a gluttonous fiend.
- Deconstructed: Her appetite is vast because she needs to gorge herself just to replenish her planes. But she restricts herself to just plain rice, with maybe a few sweets as a reward for exceptional performance, because she doesn't want to take food out of her nation's mouth.
KagaDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
- Proud Warrior Race Carrier: Kaga's very proud of her service with the Kido Butai. But she's not inflexible. She understands why the IJN lost the last war, and she's determined to hone her skills—and the skills of the other carriers—to make sure it never happens again.
- That said, she takes her duties very seriously, and treats the art of aviation as something nearly sacrosanct. She's horrified to the point of dropping her arrows when she sees how casually White Plains treats it.
- So Proud of You: To Shinano, after she'd launched a strike of fighters that saved Tokyo from an Abyssal bomber raid after taking a hit that blew off one arm at the elbow."You took a blow that shattered me. And spotted a strike regardless. Never forget that."
- The Stoic: She's icy cool under all circumsances. Often the only warning that she's mad is a sudden hot flash as her boilers rev up to full operational pressure.
RyuujouDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
ShinanoDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
- Awesome, but Impractical: She's a carrier that was built on a Yamato-class hull, and is (in theory) the most heavily armored carrier around. Downside is that she only carries 47 planes (Support Carrier, not Fleet Carrier), yet she eats more food in one sitting than Akagi and Kaga combined.
- Badass Boast: "M-my name is Sh-Shinano. I am the th-third of the Yamato sisters. I was trained byby White Plains. And I'll take you all on."
- Big Eater: To a degree that stuns Akagi. In fact, she eats so much, that Goto is considering sending her off to the United States, simply so her appetite doesn't cause mass starvation in Japan.
- Gag Boobs: They're actually slightly larger than her older sister Musashi, and that's saying something.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: She's just taken a stick of bombs to the front of her flight deck, she's missing half her left arm (and as a Japanese heavy carrier, she launches planes via Kyudo, just as Akagi and Kaga do), and she, Ryuujou and Jun'you have just been ordered to divert to Osaka because an Abyssal air strike is headed for Tokyo. What does she do? Turns into the wind, spots a strike, then launches them by throwing the strike, just like her sensei White Plains taught her. Also qualifies her as a Big Damn Hero.
- New Meat: Her rebuild as a Support Carrier wasn't complete when she was sunk during WWII, and she didn't even have her assigned air complement when she was summoned.
- Shrinking Violet: She has some rather severe issues to deal with, such as eating more food than anyone else, nearly crippling shyness, issues with how she was going to be outfitted in the Japanese Navy... as such she's somewhat of a shy introvert.
USS White Plains (CVE-66)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
USS Hoel (DD-533)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- The Captain: Flagship of her DesRon.
- Only Sane Ship Girl: She considers herself the sane and reliable leader of her gaggle of friends, regardless of how crazy she might actually be.
USS Heermann (DD-532)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Only Sane Ship Girl: Of the initial Taffy 3 trio summoned.
USS Johnston (DD-557)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: She wears a feathery war bonnet that's just as energetic as she is because her captain, Medal of Honor recipient Ernest E. Evans, was of Native American descent (Cherokee and Creek).
USS Kidd ((DD-661)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- The Captain: Flagship of her DesRon.
USS O'Bannon ((DD-450)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- The Lancer: the most level-headed of the group.
- Master Swordsdestroyer: She's quite cunning with a blade, even one made of cardboard.
USS William D. Porter (DD-579)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Catchphrase: A hasty "Imokay!"
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She tries. She tries so hard. But will almost inevitably be involved in some kind of accident. But don't worry, she's okay.
USS Borie (DD-704)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
USS Samuel B Roberts (DE-413)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Mama Bear: How her role as a Destroyer Escort works. She's nice and kind and won't seek out trouble, but if you mess with what she's escorting, she'll tear you apart. There's a reason that after she sunk, she was nicknamed "The Destroyer Escort that fought like a Battleship."
USS England (DE-635)Deployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
AkatsukiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
IkazuchiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
InazumaDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Fan Nickname: Beloved Coffee Fairy
HibikiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- Drives Like Crazy: Russian-style!
YuudachiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
- In-Series Nickname: "Poi" used to just be her verbal tic. Now even admirals refer to her by this.
- Verbal Tic: "Poi." Her exsessive poi-ing drives Jersey mad.
FubukiDeployment: United States Navy - Everett Fleet
TeruzukiDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
AkizukiDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
HatsuzukiDeployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
ShimakazeDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
ShigureDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
KawakazeDeployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
USS Albacore (SS-212)Deployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
- Insistent Terminology: She's a subthief, not a lewdmarine!
- Also, it's not "logistical magics," it's "blatant, unrepentant thievery."
- Ninja: By nature of being a very competent US submarine.
- She disappeared halfway through a 2-hour train ride. From a sealed train car on an express train. She was only seen again when the doors opened.
- Sticky Fingers: Even nailing them down might not keep your supplies safe. She also has a tendency to steal her Admiral's pants out of the laundry.
USS Archerfish (SS-311)Deployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Accompanied Jersey, Musashi, and Shinano on their trip to Akihabara. Nobody saw her until Albie called her name.
I-19Deployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
I-8Deployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
I-58Deployment: United States Navy - Sasebo Fleet
I-168Deployment: Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force - Yokosuka Fleet
Vice Admiral Samuel Williams
Commander, Pacific Fleet, US Navy, based out of NAVSTA Everett.
- Born in the Wrong Century: He's got all the skills needed to fight an information-age war in the 21st century. He's just being forced to fight against an Enemy that plays by—and enforces—20th century rules.
- Only Sane Man: He's remarkably quick to adapt to changing circumstances, although he does have a standing order that "Sparkly Magical Shipgirl Bullshit" be taken care of by Gale before it lands on his desk.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Not only has he been managing a horde of shipgirls, which are trying on their own, he's endured strange E-mails from Gale. One simply said "The Poi is real." Nevertheless, he gives both the girls and his sailors the slack they need to do their jobs, and never fails to back them up when he can.
Yeoman Sarah Gale
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Dealing with shipgirls has left the poor Yeoman a little bit unhinged, despite that she's an able shipgirl wrangler.
- Identical Stranger: When Mogami appears in "Suffering", Jersey notes that Mogami is basically her inexplicable Asian twin.
- The Reliable One: In a world full of inexplicably-attractive girls that are also ships, Gale's the one trusted to always come though in the end.
- Only Sane Woman: Something that causes her much suffering.
- She's also explicitly charged with "Keeping sparkly magical ship-girl bullshit" off of the Admiral's desk.
- Straight Gay: She's a lesbian, but it's only been mentioned to explain why she's into Wash and not into Crowning.
- Weight Woe: She works hard to maintain her waistline, and suceeeds at it. But being surrounted by stunningly pretty shipgirls who can—and often have to—gorge themselves on vast amounts of the hearty foods she has to avoid frustrates the poor sailor.
- She starts to get over it when she witnesses Wash actually shaking in pain from dinner being delayed an hour from hunger, driving home that it's not deliberate, these girls need to eat like a shonen protagonist. It still takes a little bit for that revelation to sink in, and she does complain how unfair it is that they can eat somewhere in the neighborhood of ten times their body weight and not gain an ounce.
Yeoman Jennifer Bowers
Lieutenant Colonel (former Major) Robert "Mack" Solette
- The Medic: In charge of making sure the battleships are in tip-top shape mentally and physically. He also ends up saving Heermann's life.
- That Man Is Dead: His birth surname was Bator, but he abandoned it after a falling-out with his family. He does not appreciate it being used.
Rear Admiral John Richardson
Doctor Arthur Crowning
- Everyone Can See It: Everyone teases him about or assumes he has a relationship with Jersey.
- Fan Nickname: Witch/Shaman Crowning, both In- and Out-Of-Universe. His legend attributes magical powers that haven't been explicitly shown on screen.
- Master Swordsman: Revealed that he's a skilled hand with an English Longsword. Explained as a result of the historical background of English Literature.
- The Smart Guy: An American Literature professor by trade, he ends up being the go-to guy for many intellectual and philosophical debates involving Sparkly Magical Shipgirl Bullshit.
- Ship Tease: Jersey and he have feelings for one another and have been dancing around one another for a while. When she kissed him, it caused her to have a minor freakout, but when they talked it over, they both realize that they're attracted to one another and agree to take it slowly.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: inverted, he inadvertently summons the first of America's warships back, and uses what he learned to help figure out how to achieve more successes.
- Ambiguously Human: It's never been confirmed by the Authors but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence suggesting that Jane is more than meets the eye. Case in point, her ability to have Fairies of various ships and an appetite that can't be explained simply by "growing child".
- Cheerful Child: It's really hard to keep a bad mood going when she's around.
- Military Brat: Her father is Rear Admiral Richardson and has grown up almost exclusively on naval bases. She likes wearing an Ensign's cover and dreams of growing up to become an Admiral of the United States Navy. And a space battleship.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was born.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Jane is fully aware that every time a sortie is ordered, there is a chance someone won't come home ever again.