The Iron Stomach
Voiced by: Erica Mendez
A sweet and naive girl who dreams of becoming a Battle Chef, she leaves her village to get to the capital and take part in a tournament.
- Affectionate Nickname: Several.
- Thrash calls her Blue Jay.
- Ziggy calls her Hanburger and, after Thorn's Accidental Misnaming, Mina Flan.
- Saskia calls her Mimi.
- Instructor Razel calls her Pumpkin.
- Blow You Away: Her magic skills include summoning a whirlwind, using it to attack and throw things up in the air.
- Character Development: Once she is sent back to Windy Village, she seems to have largely matured, she isn't working hard just for the thrill of it or anything, and she admits her actions were wrong, and her motivation now is just to help everyone, not only herself.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Especially at the start, Mina can be selfish, self-absorbed and impatient, but she does care for every one of her friends to the point of attacking Shiv to protect Kirin. She grows out of the Jerk part as time goes on.
- Knife Nut: Mina's primary weapon is her kitchen knife, she also has throwing knives to use long range.
- Malicious Slander: After her fight with Shiv, a lot of rumors are spread about how the thing went down. While she acted in Kirin's defense, Quetzal will even mention that she heard some rumor about Mina slicing the hand cleanly off "that elf girl," presumably Kirin, and kept it as a trophy. Note that Shiv is an orc.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Her attempt to protect Kirin from a ferocious Shiv results in her being disqualified from the contest, despite Kirin attempting to speak on her behalf and that her actions were in self-defense.
- The Runaway: She leaves her family's restaurant behind in order to attempt to become a Battle Chef.
- Shipper on Deck: While she decides that Cezar's crush isn't her secret to share, she thinks Cezar and Pontida are good for each other after seeing a love letter he wrote on the back of a Crescent receipt and how chipper she was after meeting him.
- Supreme Chef: Even by the tournament standards, Mina is a natural born chef with great skill. Though, obviously, the extent depends on the player's skill.
The Benevolent Berserker
Voiced by: Dave J. Dixon
An upbeat and cool orc that's often seen talking about his family. He has a burly body and is capable of entering a super mode by consuming food.
- The Berserker: Aside from being part of his title, he has a super mode that increases his combat abilities.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Thrash is an excellent Battle Chef, and the coolest dad ever to his pups Kia and Lupa.
- Deuteragonist: The second playable character, available in Challenge modes by default, and the focus of the story after Mina joins the Battle Chef Brigade.
- Family Man: Always seen talking about his family. He is very close to his wife and children and will talk to Mina when they have an opportunity.
- Gentle Giant: Normally, an orc wouldn't be as kind as Thrash (and by extension his family) is. His kindness goes so far that he doesn't really like using his berserk mode much, hence why he is even called "The Benevolent Berserker."
- The Power of Love: During his final cooking duel with the Scowl Heart Bandits, he flies into such a righteous fury due to the bandits severely delaying his ability to deliver medicine to his wife and save her life that he is permanently in his berserker rage state for the entire duel. He maintains that it isn't mindless anger, but rather love, that drives him.
- Shipper on Deck: Unlike Mina, he nudges Cezar toward Pontida, and doesn't need to pick up a lost note to see the mutual attraction.
The Fast Food Fiend
Voiced by: Kevin Powe
- "It's your funeral"
A quirky and strange chef who wears a tattered apron with a kiss mark. He is strange and can be off-putting to Mina. He is a necromancer who uses undead to help him cook.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ziggy is a very strange man, with a tendency for scaring people for no reason and skilled in necromancy, but he is nonetheless helping the main characters, specifically by doing things they aren't morally comfortable with, such as gathering intel by breaking in.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: His real form is a skeletal corpse decaying, he maintains his normal looks around people because his real form is off-putting.
- The Gadfly: He enjoys poking fun at Mina, especially by making her uncomfortable and scaring her. At one point, he even claims to have caused the Blight just to see how she would react.
- Gameplay and Story Integration: His title is "The Fast Food Fiend". As a result, he will only deliver fast food such as hamburgers and ice cream.
- Necromancer: He employs undead people he brought back himself to help him in his business. When asked about whether this is sanitary, he guarantees that every single undead wears gloves all the time.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Mina Han "Hanburger" and Kirin "Diamonds." While talking with Thorn, he uses the mistake she made earlier, "Mina Flan."
- Non-Human Sidekick: Is always accompanied by a flying blob ghost named Jelly.
- Tritagonist: Shares the role with Kirin, both of which were originally meant to be playable as well. Unlike Kirin, though, a later update added Ziggy as a playable chef.
- Wardrobe Flaw of Characterization: All his clothes are tattered and ripped on the edges, using this to inform that he has a "dark sorcerer" archetype.
The Decisive Blade
Voiced by: Elspeth Eastman
A cool and level-headed woman with a passion for learning that has joined the competition. She comes from a rich family and possesses a pair of black wings.
- Bookworm: She always has a book in hand and very much likes to read. She even gifts Mina with a book.
- Double Jump: If defeated, she can give Mina boots that will give her this skill.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: She tells Mina she loves cats, and she is always very nice and pleasant to her.
- Multicolored Hair: Her hair is purple in its majority, but becomes yellow in the front, in the shape of a diamond.
- The Smart Girl: She is by far the most academic character among the main group, and often delves in difficult studies with ease.
- Tritagonist: Shares the role with Ziggy, both of which were originally meant to be playable as well.
- Winged Humanoid: She has a pair of large black wings that she can use in battle.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is purple, with a yellow diamond shape in front of it.
The Acid Tongue
Voiced by: Amber Lee Connors
The descendant of a legendary chef, which has given her a bit of a superiority complex.
- Animal Companion: She is always seen with her falcon.
- Jerkass: Very much so. Once eliminated, she will pick a fight with Kirin, accuse her of using her family's influence on Maradain's institution, even physically threatening her, which causes Mina to attempt to defend her, but also gets both Mira and Shiv expelled from the competition.
- Famous Ancestor: She is the descendant of the famous chef Grand Matriarch Kiln.
- Hypocrite: Accuses Kirin of using family connections to influence one of the judges, but Razel states that she's been the one who's trying to coast on her ancestor's prestige.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Named after a stabbing implement, and at one point threatens Kirin with a skewer.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Disappears from the story after the C-Squad briefing, and isn't in the picture of new Brigade members.
Voiced by: Chris Niosi
A kindhearted and sweet competitor that is known for his altruist personality.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Leonid at first seems like he'll be some sort of Eerie Pale Brunet dressed in black and dark purple, but he's a very kind-hearted man.
- Married to the Job: In a conversation, he will state he has no one to come back to after the tournament, but that his work is his love.
- Nice Guy: Aside from his skill, Leonid is known for his altruist personality. He can be introduced by wondering which kind of sweets Cezar likes, intending to give some to him. He'll even compliment Mina's technique during their fight.
Voiced by: Ben Britton
A grumpy and serious dwarf. He refuses to even talk to Mina at the start and only later warms up to her.
- Cuteness Proximity: After meeting with him, Potinda is unusually happy and upbeat. They are shown to be in love, but not yet in a relationship.
- Reality Ensues: He has a kid of his own, and Thrash tries to ask him for tips about how to be a better father. After dueling with him, Cezar tells him flatly that his kid is 35 and it'll never get easier to raise kids, much to Thrash's dismay.
- Red Baron: The sole subversion of the group. He refuses to use a title because he doesn't need one to make good food.
- Shout-Out: He is literally a Grumpy Dwarf.
Quetzal and Teabot
The Tea Totalers
Voiced by: Sarah Williams (Quetzal)
A young girl and her robotic partner, working together to prove their worth.
- The Dividual: The only chefs to compete as a team (presumably, Ziggy's skeletal sous chefs aren't counted as equal partners), it helps that one of them isn't technically a human being.
- Famous Ancestor: Presumably Mateo Luminaire, the inventor of the Slow Cooker.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Quetzal is a battle chef like the others, however, she is also high-class girl wearing dresses and drinking tea during it, with a robot companion.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Teabot, Quetzal's robotic partner. They even work as a duo, with him being stated to work as an oven for her.
- Spot of Tea: Quetzal enjoys her tea parties.
- Steam Punk: Teabot is a mechanized automaton with a kettle for a head.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Her undue interest in the rumor that Mina cut someone's hand off, and all the graphic exaggerations that came with it.
Voiced by: Scott Lambright
- "I'm a baker, not a cream-puff! Don't mistake me for a pushover!"
An orc with nimble fingers and an upbeat attitude.
- Broken Win/Loss Streak: Has an awful time in the Proving Tournament due to accumulating more losses than wins. Much to his relief, he actually manages to become a Brigadier in the end.
- Gentle Giant: A large, stout orc that specializes in desserts.
- Insult Backfire: Bakes cookies with taunts that he slips into his opponents' pockets. Mina is touched by the work put into hers.
- Odd Friendship: Forms a partnership with Simon after sampling his family farm's flour.
- Square Race, Round Class: According to the speech the Chairman uses to introduce him, Wart is seen as having an uncommonly light touch for an orc, and said dexterity lends well to being a pastry chef - on merit alone, he's made it to the Proving Tournament.
The Righteous Fury
Voiced by: Scott LambrightA man with a grudge against Mina after she cut in front of him in the line-up for competition registration.
- It's All About Me: Aside from taking Mina's poor manners very seriously, his gift to Mina upon losing is a signed picture of himself.
- Graceful Loser: If defeated, he will properly apologize to Mina and admit that she is the best chef, with them parting in good terms and her supporting him in the next competition.
- Hidden Depths: Once bested, he admits defeat gracefully, and he has organized everything in order to get his final match against Mina, betting whether he wins or loses on it, meaning he actually is an honorable guy.
- Humiliation Conga: After Mina cut in front of him, bird droppings landed in his hair, then he had to share a bed in a run-down bar because Mina took the last room in the inn, and then Mina and Thrash beat him to the last station in the Practice Kitchen before the competition officially began. As a result, he becomes angered with Mina and blames her for a lot of his problems.
Staff of the Tournament
Voiced by: Tom Taylorson
- "Vive la Brigade!"
The host of the tournament that determines future Battle Chef Brigade members.
- Expy: Of Chairman Kaga.
- Limited Wardrobe: Subverted, he wears a different outfit for every occasion. All of them very different and sparkly.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He lets Mina and her friends off the hook for the ways they gathered information on Rixal's operation, deeming the lives they'll save as a result well worth it.
Voiced by: Melanie EhrlichAn official from the Battle Chef Brigade overseeing the tournament proceedings.
- Irony: When she tries to get Mina, Thrash, Kirin, and Ziggy punished for some of their unlawful actions, Kamin reminds her that leadership isn't about perfection, but how one deals with imperfections...which is something she herself said. She happily admits that but still punishes them with janitorial duty for a week.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: It goes both ways. She can be rather strict, but in special occasions, she cuts the competing chefs some slack (if they happen to show some promise).
Voiced by: Amber Lee ConnorsA leader of the coalition of orc tribes. Tends to favor hearty Earth meals.
Voiced by: Ben BrittonPrefers the hot Fire of meals that remind him of the spicy food from his land's festival days.
Voiced by: Sarah WilliamsThe head of an academy of gastronomy. Tends to favor the smooth taste of Water meals.
- Stern Teacher: Gives off this vibe. She speaks in an eloquent matter and has a stern look in her face even if praising the dish served to her.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Both his backstory and design brings the thief to mind.
Voiced by: Apphia YuA legendary female warrior. Enjoys Fire and Water in her meals.
Voiced by: Kevin PoweA rogue with an attitude, and a self-proclaimed artist and actor.
Voiced by: Tom TaylorsonA scientist working to create "Ambrosia", a flavoring to improve any dish.
- Hypocritical Humor: Despite his many cats being everywhere in his lab, to the point that the Purifying Oven is stated to have some residual cat hair in it, he grouses about possible hygiene concerns related to pet rats filling Rixal's subterranean lab
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Owns many felines, all of which named after different cheese.
- Mad Scientist: A friendlier version, but he is trying to create "Ambrosia", a sauce that would make every food taste better.
Voiced by: Amber Lee ConnorsThe owner of a Hunter's Guild.
- Accidental Misnaming: Calls Mina Han "Mina Flan" due to a smudge on her registration sheet.
- Badass Gay: The owner and proprietor of the Hunter's Guild with countless hunting trophies and is introduced moping about the possibility that she's overwhelmed a girl with her affections. Given that she asks Mina about what sort of anniversary present she should send later on, though, it seems like it was only a lapse in communication.
- The Dreaded: Even Thrash fears dealing with her. Mina has more than once become startled by her very easily and it seems that Thrash isn't the only one afraid of her.
- The Eeyore: Always moping about something or other. She's introduced moping about trouble in her love life and doesn't show too much more happiness than that throughout the game.
- Hidden Depths: Downplayed, or perhaps even subverted. Although she's a bit more poetic when she's judging in Kitchen Colosseum, and Thrash's earnest passion to get back to his family gets her to escort him to the Darkrealm and later share a story of her rite of passage, her only two moods remain "dismissive" and "somber."
- Lady Drunk: During a practice competition to determine if blighted food can be made edible, she requests a Water-infused meal to help deal with a hangover."Physical attacks use [Y]. Magic attacks use [X]. Panic attacks use alcohol. But that depends on your vice.
- No Social Skills: She spends so much time in the battlefield she has a hard time behaving like a person.
Voiced by: Sarah WilliamsThe proprietor of a restaurant that chefs can work in to practice their skills before competitions.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Subverted, she is nice and has pink hair, but she isn't a sweetie and is actually quite demanding.
Voiced by: Ben Britton (both heads)
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Luis is quiet and serious while Louie is upbeat and friendly.
Voiced by: Apphia YuMina's older sister. The proprietor of the small restaurant in Mina's hometown.
- Cool Big Sis: She has supported Mina fleeing the village to get to the contest since she realizes that this is what is right for Mina. When Mina shows to have grown up, she supports her in trying to get her parents to allow her to come back to join the brigade.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Downplayed. Wen is stoic, even when the blight threatens the family's livelihood, but he's also one of the first to start looking into whether or not they can keep serving monster, and what new precautions they need to take if they can. Lily has the grit of a former Battle Chef, and nowadays she directs that determination into working tirelessly and caring for her family.
- Childhood Friends: With Mina.
The Battle Chef Brigade
Voiced by: Sarah Williams (Knife), Tom Taylorson (Fork), Erica Mendez (Spoon)Members of the official Battle Chef Brigade, who tournament champions have to cook against as a final test before joining their ranks.
- Final-Exam Boss: For tournament victors, each one having them gather ingredients in one of the three areas they've battled in before.
- Friendly Enemy: Duels against all three of them involve them being well mannered against Mina, encouraging her to do her best and being very pleased if she wins.
- Sequential Boss: The three duels against them occur right after each other, though you're given opportunities to change equipment between rounds.
- Theme Naming: Cutlery.
Voiced by: Brandon Paul EellsA gigantic guardsman in the official Battle Chef Brigade.
Voiced by: Ben BrittonA member of the official Battle Chef Brigade.
Scowl Heart Bandits
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: They were formerly a group of actors, and their boss seems quite keen on enforcing this. The various members differ on just how dedicated they are to it, though.