open/close all folders
Anneliese is the princess of a bankrupt kingdom. In order to save her kingdom, she must marry a rich king, yet she is already in love.
- Arranged Marriage: She is to marry King Dominick so that his wealth will save her kingdom.
- Cassandra Truth: Neither the gate guard nor Madame Carp believe her when she says she is the princess.
- Damsel out of Distress: She is able to escape her kidnappers by having her cat pose as a scary ghost.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father is known to be dead, since her mother is called "widowed."
- Dub Name Change: In the Polish dub her name is Anna-Lisa.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She is very attached to her cat, Serafina. Unfortunately, this helps Nick and Nack lure her into a trap.
- Princess Classic: At the beginning. In the end she becomes a Politically Active Princess who creates a new mining industry with the geodes she found.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Her favorite dress is mostly pink.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Erika's Red.
- The Smart Guy: Anneliese loves science, particularly geology.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: The film is set in Britain, no accent from Anneliese or Erika.
Erika is a poor village girl who must work as a seamstress in order to pay off her parents' debt. She would much rather be a singer.
- Almost Kiss: With Dominick.
- Determinator: Erika keeps working so that she can earn her freedom.
- Disappeared Dad/Missing Mom: We are never told what happened to her parents, though presumably they're dead.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She loves her cat, Wolfie, very much and even sings a song about not wanting him to change his dog-like nature.
- Limited Wardrobe: She only owns one dress.
- Love Epiphany: She realizes she's fallen in love with King Dominick while masquerading as Anneliese.
- Master Actor: She pulls off such a good impersonation of Anneliese, even the girl's own mother is fooled. Not bad considering Erika had only met her once before.
- Rags to Royalty: She marries King Dominick at the end.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Anneliese's Blue.
- True Blue Femininity: Her main dress is mostly blue, as is her princess dress, and her wedding dress has blue trim.
- Work Off the Debt: Erika is in debt because her parents borrowed money in order to feed her. Anneliese helps her out of it.
Preminger is the main antagonist of the movie. His goal is to become the king of Anneliese's kingdom.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: His plan is to marry Anneliese (and later, her mother) so that he can become king.
- The Bully: He talks down to Julian and even kicks Wolfie!
- Catchphrase: "How can I refuse?"
- He uses it frequently in the song of the same name and any other time he can. Variants include "how could I refuse?" and at one point, "how can you refuse?"
- Evil Chancellor
- Evil Brit
- Obviously Evil: Frequently spouts evil laughter in front of Queen Genevieve.
- Rags to Riches: Implied; he states in his song that he is a peasant's son.
- Villain Ball: Averted, as he captures Julian and attempts to kill him and Anneliese later right away.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Xanatos Speed Chess: When his plans go awry, he tends to come up with a new plan pretty quickly.
Serafina is Anneliese's pet cat. She falls in love with Wolfie.
Wolfie is Erika's pet cat. He acts like a dog, and he falls in love with Serafina.
- All Animals Are Dogs: He acts exactly like a dog and even barks.
- Cat/Dog Dichotomy: With Serafina, kind of.
- Cats Are Mean: Averted, he and Serafina are very friendly cats.
- Chekhov's Skill: His dog-like sense of smell comes in handy when he tries to find a way to get to Serafina and Anneliese trapped in the gold mine.
- Heroic Doggish Cat