Anis (Anise) Yamamoto
Anis is an Ordinary High-School Student who, one day, loses her rose choker against her father's will. On the same day, she learns that she is a Rose Princess bound to four other knights who will carry out her bidding. She can use Summon Magic with any four cards to summon her knights, but allowing them to use their powers will use up her blood source.
Anis is not excited about this at first, but begins seeing her knights as her friends and becomes the Determinator to help them out.
- Celibate Hero: Anis refuses to have a relationship with any of her knights, but that doesn't stop the knights from actively pursuing her.
- Damsel out of Distress: Anis isn't usually the one in danger — she's the one sending in her knights to get business done!
- Determinator: Anis is determined to protect her friends and see her plans through so that they won't have to suffer from the Rosette Contract anymore.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Anis is the Rose Princess.
- Oblivious Adoption: Anis is the daughter of the previous White Rose Knight and the "Holy Mother" of the Tenjou family. Her mother tried to sneak her out of the church to her lover, Schwartz, in an attempt to Screw Destiny. This would also make Anis distant cousins with Tenjou.
- Plucky Girl: Anis is very brave and keeps the group together when they're discouraged.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Anis has pink hair and is the emotional support of the group.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Her character description states that she wants to have a cool boyfriend someday.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Anis's name is officially romanized as "Anis" in the Jewel's Rose artbook. Prior to that, fans romanized her name as "Anise" or "Agnes." Viz Media went with "Anise" on their translations.
- Summon Magic: Anis can summon any one of her four knights by kissing the card of their respective color.
- Taking the Bullet: Anis performs a Heroic Sacrifice to protect Seiran from one of Shiden's deadly attacks. She survives, but only barely.
- Tsundere: She's a type B (more sweet than prickly) unless it comes to Kaede or Tenjou.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Anis is afraid of thunder, and also lists some of her fears as fires, earthquakes, and her father.
Tropes that apply to all the Rose Knights:
- Always Save the Girl: The Rhode Knights are supposed to do this by contract, but they (especially Kaede) have admitted that even if they weren't knights, they would do it anyway.
- Bodyguard Crush: All of them are sworn to protect Anis and all of them are in love with her.
- Lady and Knight: All of the Rhode Knights have a Lady and Knight relationship with Anis, but Mutsuki carries out this dynamic the closest.
- Undying Loyalty: They will all serve her whims no matter what.
- Unwanted Harem: Anis entertains herself with the idea of men serving her, but she soon grows stressed from the complications that all four of them are competing for her affection and repeatedly affirms them that she has feels for none.
Kaede is the Knight of the Red Rose and Anis's classmate with whom she frequently bickers. His family runs a shrine. His abilities are mainly centered on attacks, and he can draw a Cool Sword to fight.
- Am I Just a Toy to You?: Kaede reacts like this to Anis when she gives him his stage one (and stage two) awakening, feeling as though she only sees him as a knight and nothing more.
- The Confidant: Kaede is the only knight Anis feels comfortable telling all her problems to, and often calls on him the most (usually to do menial tasks).
- Cool Sword: Kaede specializes in attack techniques and can draw out a sword.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: When Kaede tries to bring Seiran back with The Power of Friendship, Seiran tearfully thanks... Anis instead.
- The Everyman: Kaede is the most "average" and "plain"-looking guy, according to Anis.
- First Guy Wins: He eventually wins out on the Love Dodecahedron.
- Flower Motifs: Kaede is represented by the red rose, which stands for love.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: In chapter 20, Kaede recalls Anis giving Tenjou is first awakening and becomes jealous over it, eventually realizing it's because of his feelings for her.
- In-Series Nickname: Whenever Anis is upset or flustered at Kaede, she calls him "Bakaede" (a combination of "baka", meaning "idiot", and his name). Mutsuki and Tenjou refer to him as a "dog."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kaede argues with Anis a lot, but he really cares about her.
- Shirtless Scene: In the aftermath of the Haruto arc, Anis summons Kaede. This happens right after he's taken a shower, so he appears on her veranda shirtless, causing her to give him her hoodie in a combination of You Must Be Cold and Please Put Some Clothes On.
- Skewed Priorities: Kaede is more worried about the fact that Mutsuki stole Anis's Sacred First Kiss than he is concerned that Mutsuki did a FaceHeel Turn. Granted that the only knight he actually cares about is Seiran, but still.
- Was It All a Lie?: Kaede reacts like this when he finds out the truth about Seiran.
Tenjou is the Knight of the White Rose and the president of the student council at Shoubi Academy. He is the most popular boy in school and his rather wealthy family runs a church. Anis is initially smitten with him until she finds out about his real personality. Unlike Kaede, his abilities are defensive. He can create shields or heal the other knights when they are in critical condition.
- Big Fancy House: Tenjou's family is wealthy and he naturally lives in a mansion. It's so large that Anis, Kaede, and Seiran get lost in it — twice.
- Big Man on Campus: Tenjou is the most popular boy in school.
- Bishie Sparkle: Tenjou emits these on a daily basis.
- Chick Magnet: Hundreds of girls follow him every day.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Tenjou will save Anis and the next day he'll go on long speeches about how much he loves her, even when she's mean to him.
- Costume Porn: Tenjou has elaborate clothing and, in one side story, states that he has a collection just so he could show them off to Anis.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Tenjou also has a very large following in his Fanboys, the biggest one being the vice president of the student council.
- FaceHeel Turn: Tenjou turns out to be working for the church his family runs the entire time and kidnaps Anis to force her into ascend his final awakening to obtain his full powers.
- Flower Motifs: Tenjou is represented by the white rose, which stands for innocence.
- Kissing Cousins: Tenjou and Anis are distant cousins, but that doesn't stop him from going after her.
- Large Ham: Oh, so very much. He reacts dramatically to everything.
- Last-Name Basis: Everyone except for Mutsuki calls Tenjou by his last name.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Whenever Tenjou isn't speaking like a Large Ham, you know something's up.
- 108: In a side story, Tenjou prepared 108 outfits just to wear for Anis.
- Puppet King: Tenjou is used by his church to take the full powers of the White Rose Knight. The Puppet Cuts His Strings later on when Anis and the other knights get through to him with The Power of Friendship.
- School Idol: Tenjou is very popular and idolized by girls. It's to the point that it's very difficult to meet him up close if you're not in his class.
- Stalker Shrine: Tenjou has an entire room filled with pictures of Anis, much to her displeasure.
- Too Kinky to Torture: He's devoted to Anis so much that he not only doesn't mind if she hits him, but actually encourages it!
Seiran is the Knight of the Blue Rose and is known around campus for his androgynous beauty. He is Kaede's Childhood Friend and is allergic to roses. His specialties are alchemy, creating potions, and research.
- Artificial Human: There was tons of Foreshadowing that blue is not a natural rose color. As true as that statement is, so is the fact that Seiran is a three-year-old homunculus.
- Bishōnen: He's very popular in school for his androgynous good looks.
- Can't Catch Up: Seiran is summoned the least, awakened the last (for stage two), and doesn't fight very often. He's only fought one-on-one twice in the course of the series, and was defeated both times. It's because of this he feels very inferior to the rest of his fellow knights.
- Cuteness Proximity: Anis can't help but find Seiran adorable whenever she gets near him.
- Dragged into Drag: Seiran crossdresses in a dance party in chapter 28 just so he can partner up with Kaede to pull him away from Mikage.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Seiran is often described as being "so cute he could pass off for a girl."
- 11th-Hour Superpower: Seiran receives his stage two awakening in the final chapter of the series.
- Fake Memories: Seiran was never Kaede's Childhood Friend like he was made to believe. He created these memories with his hallucinogen-inducing roses so that he could fit in with human society more easily.
- Flower Motifs: Seiran is represented by the blue rose, which stands for miracles/the impossible.
- Grenade Spam: His main source of attacks are explosives.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Seiran has made it clear that he's okay if Anis doesn't return his feelings, just as long as she smiles, and he seems to be okay with the idea of Kaede getting together with her.
- Ill Boy: He's introduced as this, but it turns out he just only has an allergy to roses, which he's usually around at home.
- It's All My Fault: He blames himself for getting Anis fatally injured when he looks for an Arcana Card by himself.
- The Load: Since Seiran doesn't fight often, he worries about his usefulness to Anis.
- Love at First Sight: Seiran states in a monologue that he fell in love with Anis at first sight.
- Love Confession: Seiran gives one to Anis right when she tells him how important he is to her, unlocking his stage one awakening.
- Muggle: Unlike the other knights, Seiran's attacks are not magic-based (possibly to match that he's an Artificial Human).
- Nice Guy: Seiran is very pleasant to those around him.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Seiran exists to be used as a sacrifice to restore the seal on the gate to the demon lord.
- Shipper on Deck: Seiran tries to get Kaede to be more open about his feelings and conscious about Anis's. This also counts as I Want My Beloved to Be Happy — if Anis gets together with Kaede, then she'll be happy, and if Anis is happy, so is Seiran.
- Raised by Grandparents: It's all part of his Fake Memories to make sure he integrates in society without trouble.
- Replacement Goldfish: The Blue Rose Knight was created specifically to take the spot the Yellow Rose Knight had vacated. In other words, Seiran was created specifically to replace Haruto.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Seiran's contributions to the team includes making chemicals (ranging from explosions to medicine to alchemy) and research. He rarely uses any of his abilities except in filler arcs and for comical scenes. What makes it worse is that Itsushi is already Mr. Exposition, giving less importance to his role as the researcher, and Tenjou is already the designated healer of the group, so the knights don't need to rely on him for energy restoration.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has blue hair.
Mutsuki is the Knight of the Black Rose and has a bad reputation at Shoubi Academy because of the numerous unpleasant rumors about him. Mysterious and harsh, he initially disapproves of Anis being his Rose Princess, but eventually warms up to her.
Mutsuki is the last living remainder of the Dark Stalker species and has the advantages of flight and searching in the dark. His specialties as a knight include searching and seizing. He uses strings to fight.
- Angst Coma: Mutsuki was asleep for 200 years prior to Tenjou finding his coffin after allegedly killing his brother.
- Because Destiny Says So: Tenjou says that since the first Rose Princess and the first Black Knight became a couple, there is destiny between Anis and Mutsuki. Mutsuki was also told by his brother to claim the Rose Princess, but he meant his lover — therefore he is determined to make a move on Anis when the time is right because she's the one he loves.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He doesn't remember much of it at first, but oh, yes. Being forced to kill your older brother can do a number on you.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Mutsuki's thematic color scheme and powers are based off of darkness, but he's loyal to Anis.
- Defrosting Ice King: Mutsuki disapproves of Anis being his Rose Princess but later warms up to her.
- Dramatic Kiss: He steals Anis' first kiss when he shields her from a thunderstorm.
- FaceHeel Turn: Mutsuki breaks free from Anis's control and joins Yocteau later on in the series. This actually turned out to be a Fake Defector plan thought up by Tenjou and himself, so he could get close to Yocteau and defeat him.
- Flower Motifs: Mutsuki is represented by the black rose, which stands for bitterness.
- Hey, You!: Mutsuki starts out by calling Anis "you", but over time begins calling her by her first name.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mutsuki is reluctant to help Anis at first, but sees through her orders.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Mutsuki doesn't remember very much about his past. He doesn't mind, and would rather be continued to be called "Mutsuki" rather than his real name, because he prefers being who he is right now.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Mutsuki is a Dark Stalker, not one of those "fabricated urban legends" known as vampires, as he'd correct you.
- Pointy Ears: Mutsuki's ears more noticeably more pointy than the rest of the cast.
- The Stoic: He doesn't show very much emotion.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Mutsuki is icy to Anis at first, but becomes more sugary when he begins to respect her.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Mutsuki may have repressed the memories of his past from being forced to kill his older brother.
- When He Smiles: In one instance, Mutsuki smiles at Anis, causing her to be surprised.
Itsushi is a teacher at Shoubi Academy and also the Rhode Knights' Mentor. He helps Anis adjust to her role as the Rose Princess and has an immense knowledge about the Rosette Contracts because he worked as an intern to Anis' father on the subject.
- Mr. Exposition: The explanations about the contracts, the knight system, and the demon lord all come from him.
Ninafu is the guardian of the Rosette Cards. He's very simple-minded and is very talented at sewing. He gets along with Seiran very well.
Tropes that apply to Rhodecia:
- Back for the Finale: Idel and Yakou come back for the final battle.
- Big Damn Heroes: Idel and Yakou, along with Itsushi and Haruto, bust in to give Anis and the Rhode Knights a hand in the final chapter.
- Chick Magnet: It comes with the baggage of being an Idol Singer.
- Conveniently an Orphan: They grew up in an orphanage together.
- Idol Singer: Rhodecia consists of two newly debuted pop singers.
- Ill Boy: Idel suffered from this when he was younger, but has gotten slightly better after Yakou donated one of his kidneys to him. Both are now physically weak, especially as their Fake Knight powers are drawn from their own blood. Yakou, unfortunately, gets the worst of it.
- New Transfer Student: When they first appear, both are new students at Shoubi Academy.
- Shirtless Scene: Oh, yes.
- Wild Card: Idel and Yakou are in the battle just for themselves and have made it clear they neither side with Anis nor with the other Fake Knights.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Idel's main ability is creating soundwaves.
- Sixth Ranger: Idel makes a temporary contract with Anis and becomes inaugurated as one of her knights.
Yakou is part of the Idol Singer Boy Band Rhodecia and is a Fake Knight carrying the title of the Lime Rose. He is kinder than Idel, but is physically weaker. He has the ability to control fragrances and hypnotize people with them.
- Astral Projection: When Yakou falls into a Convenient Coma, his spirit appears to Anis and helps her reach the top of the tower.
- Beauty Mark: Yakou has one under his right eye.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Yakou refuses to harm his fans or manipulate them, even when Idel asks him.
- Nice Guy: Yakou is openly gentle and kind.
- Squishy Wizard: Yakou's powers are strong, but his defenses are weak.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Anis initially assumed he was weak because he often collapses from his own attack. However, it turns out that his abilities are so strong it's overwhelming his body, and at one point he falls unconscious from them.
Haruto Kisugi is Anis's Childhood Friend who became a New Transfer Student from Osaka. He is also the Knight of the Yellow Rose, who was part of the original knight line-up prior to his FaceHeel Turn. After his Heroic Sacrifice, he comes back as the Gold Rose, one of the Fake Knights serving under Ella.
- Back for the Finale
- Because Destiny Says So: Haruto is determined to take revenge on the rest of the Rhode Knights as the Yellow Rose, and is continuously urged by the Yellow Rose from 200 years ago to do so.
- Childhood Friend: Haruto is Anis's childhood friend. He would like to have a Childhood Friend Romance with her, but unfortunately, she doesn't feel that way.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Haruto gives one to Anis when he sacrifices himself to restore the seal. Schwartz saves him and he ends up in Hong Kong instead.
- Flower Motifs: Haruto is represented by the yellow rose, which stands for jealousy. The Western meaning of the yellow rose is friendship, which does describe his relationship with Anis afterwards (even if he's still interested in making her fall in love with him).
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Haruto was Anis's Childhood Friend, then turned out to be the Yellow Rose working under Schwartz, and then sacrificed himself to seal the demon lord's gate, but then came back as the Gold Rose, one of Ella's underlings, just to warn Anis about her father being captured by the church.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Haruto transferred from Osaka.
- If I Can't Have You...: When Anis refuses to join him, Haruto threatens to attack the rest of the knights.
- Kansai Regional Dialect: Haruto speaks in Kansai dialect since he's from Osaka.
- More Than Mind Control: Haruto becomes influenced by the previous Yellow Rose who is acting on revenge on the Red Rose, jealous for being chosen by the Rose Princess. In reality, he is worried about losing Anis to anyone who isn't him.
- New Transfer Student: When Haruto first appears, he's a new student at Shoubi Academy.
- Redemption Equals Death: Haruto sacrifices himself to restore the seal to the demon lord when it becomes unstable but is later saved by Schwarz.
- Yandere: "If you keep on acting that cute, I will have to kill you too" is a really good example.
- Archnemesis Dad
- Big Bad: He's the one Anis is battling against for the majority of the series.
- Disc-One Final Boss: As it turns out, he's being manipulated by the members of Tenjou's church.
- Papa Bear: Schwartz forced Anis to wear the rose choker to hide her identity as the Rose Princess, as that was what he and her mother agreed on to protect her from the Society.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She plays up the facade of being Anis's friend at school, but isn't afraid to take advantage of their friendship and her relationship with Kaede.
- Dark Magical Girl: She's working for The Dark Side, and is able to use the same abilities of summoning her knights just like Anis.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She spends her last moments in Anis's arms before turning into a Living Weapon.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": She hates it when she's called "Ella."
- Dying Declaration of Love: Ella gives one to Anis before she dies.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She wears gothic lolita in her outfits.
- Evil Counterpart: Ella is a dominion just like Anis and controls her own set of knights.
- I Have Many Names: She goes by Mikage at school, and Shiden calls her such. She introduces herself as "Galacta" to Anis. The Fake Knights and her official character profile call her "Ella", which is short for "Cinderella."
- Manipulative Bitch: She isn't above manipulating Kaede just so as long as she keeps her promise that Anis would never find out her new best friend was really her enemy.
- Meganekko: As Mikage, she wears glasses and has her hair styled in Braids of Action.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: Ella is a wandering soul only given a body thanks to Shiden and Yocteau.
- Red Herring: She pretends to be interested in Kaede for the sole purpose of tormenting Anis, the real object of her affection.
- Redemption Equals Death: Ella becomes a scythe for Anis when she dies, finally at peace.
- Yandere: Ella is obsessed with Anis because she represents everything she's ever wanted in life.
Shiden is part of the Fake Knights as the Violet Rose, and his powers are centered on water. Out of all the Fake Knights, he respects Ella the most because of their long history together. Shiden used to travel around the world as a demon hunter, but met Ella as a lonely soul, who accompanied him. He wanted to grant her wish to live her life out as a normal girl, and gave up his left eye to a corrupted Yocteau to make it happen.
- Battle Butler
- Eyepatch of Power: Shiden wears an eyepatch over his left eye, which he gave up to give Ella a human body.
- Making a Splash: Shiden's attacks are centered on water.
- Undying Loyalty: Out of all the Fake Knights, Shiden is the most loyal to her.
Yocteau is part of the Fake Knights as the Gray Rose, and his powers are centered on death. He is also Mutsuki's older brother who is Back from the Dead, believed to have been initially killed by Mutsuki himself from the start. In reality, he was corrupted by the demon lord when the seal broke 200 years ago starting with his left eye, which Mutsuki ripped out. Unfortunately, the darkness had spread and consumed his entire being, leaving him Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Back from the Dead: He's Mutsuki's older brother, corpse reanimated.
- Big Brother Instinct: Yocteau loves Mutsuki and watches out for him, repeatedly insisting that he go after who he loves to ensure him happiness.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Yocteau was corrupted by the the demon lord and left himself to die, but the demon lord forced him to regenerate again and again, causing him to lose his humanity and memories.
- Creepy Child: Yocteau's movements and speech are very unsettling when he looks like a 10-year-old boy.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Yocteau, finally free from the demon lord, dies in Mutsuki's arms.
- Dying as Yourself: When Yocteau regains all of his memories back, he begs Mutsuki to Mercy Kill him as soon as possible before the demon lord takes control of him again.
- Eye Scream: Mutsuki ripped out his left eye, which had been tainted by the demon lord's miasma. Unfortunately, it could not save Yocteau, because the darkness had already spread to his other eye.
- Love Redeems: Yocteau realizes his hunger in the world is loneliness, and he had regenerated repeatedly just to meet with Mutsuki again. When he understands this, he returns to his original personality.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Yocteau is really Mutsuki's older brother who is Back from the Dead.
- Necromancer: All of his attacks have death as a theme.
- Redemption Equals Death: The only way to save Yocteau was to kill him, and that's what Mutsuki does.
- Technicolor Eyes: Yocteau's right eye is red and his left eye is golden.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Yocteau loses a lot of his memories from being forced to regenerate.