The main protagonists of Bakugan: Battle Planet and the spiritual successors to the Battle Brawlers. Like the original series, the group consists with kids who discover Bakugan and upload their findings online to their viewers.
The Awesome Ones
- The Ace: They all qualify as this, as they are considered the greatest brawlers in the world, as well as the go-to people for anything Bakugan related.
- Badass Crew: They are considered the best battlers in the world.
- Beware the Silly Ones: They are a bunch of pre-teens who spend their free time making goofy online videos, but anyone who faces them in battle are in for a rude awakening.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The colours of their outfits match their main factions;
- Lia=White and teal= Haos
- Lightning=Black (his collar)= Darkus
- Retcon: For some reason, their name was changed to the Awesome Brawlers in season two.
- Sixth Ranger: Shun in season one, then Ajit in season two.
Voiced by: Jonah Wineburg (English), Rie Takahashi (Japanese)
12-year-old Dan Kouzo is a fun loving, energetic kid who was born on the very same day as the Great Collision. One day he discovers his partner Bakugan Pyrus Drago(Dragonoid) and begins to upload his findings to the whole world. As leader of The Awesome Ones, he and his friends will fight to protect Bakugan from being misused by others.
- The Ace: He's easily the strongest and most battle competent of the Awesome Ones.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the original series he has completely brown hair and reddish eyes, while here he has a red streak in his hair and blue eyes.
- Adaptation Name Change: Dan's surname is "Kouzo" instead of "Kuso".
- Attention Whore: He has shades of this, preferring to have the attention be on him or when the others can eclippse him in popularity. It was exploited in an episode that nearly cost the team a victory.
- All-Loving Hero: He deeply cares about all Bakugan and his friends and tries his best to protect them.
- Big Eater: He loves eating a lot and is often seen doing so.
- Fatal Flaw: He has two: pride and insensitivity. For the former, he can become very arrogant about his skillset, which has put him in a pinch on several occasions, although he is gradually growing out of it as the series progresses. In the latter's case, his status as a social butterfly has him believing he can reach or connect with anyone. For his rivals like Magnus and Ajit, who have much more complicated problems, he tends to not catch on their issues until the situation gets too dire.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted somewhat. He uses the faction of fire, but he's a brunette with just a small streak of red hair
- Idiot Hero: Naturally. He's dumb in the books but pretty smart in battle.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Not only he wears red as a sign of heroism, but his eyes are pure, blue and heroic as well.
- Kid Hero: He's only twelve and yet he takes on an evil organization with his friends.
- Laser-Guided Karma: This happens to him a lot in the series. When he gets too full of himself, something happens to knock him down a peg.
- The Leader: Dan is the leader of the Awesome Ones. Despite his Idiot Hero tendencies, his charisma and a strong heart are what push him to take charge. His Bakugan, Drago in particular tend to lead the Bakugan into battle, most notably when the group battles together.
- Playing with Fire: As a Pyrus battler he specializes in using fire attacks in his battles.
- Red Is Heroic: He dresses primarily in red, uses the red faction and has a red streak of hair on his head.
- The Rival: He and Magnus Black develop a strong rivalry from their first encounter: he respects Magnus as a brawler and wants to eventually defeat him, while Magnus sees him as a Privileged Rival who has had everything handled to him on a silver platter while he (Magnus) has to suffer.
- Technician Versus Performer: He's the performer to Magnus' technician.
- The Pollyanna: Nothing keeps him down for long and he usually cheers up quickly. He loves singing and dancing, even though he's bad at the former.
- Skunk Stripe: A red streak in his bangs.
Voiced by: Deven Mack (English), Jun Fukushima (Japanese)
12-year-old Wynton Styles is Dan's best friend ever since the first grade and the brains of the Awesome Ones. Like Dan he finds his Bakugan partner while researching the Great Collision. His Partner is Ventus Trox which specializes in using the earth for powerful attacks. Somewhat of a goofball prankster who likes telling jokes, Wynton is always there to lighten the mood.
- Best Friend: He is this to Dan. The two have know each other ever since the first grade and have had a strong friendship ever since.
- Composite Character: As The Smart Guy, he's closest to Marucho from the original series, but he uses Ventus Bakugan like Shun did.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: He is this to the Ventus user Shun Kazami of the Battle Brawlers. While Both are very intelligent, Wynton generally hides his intelligence from everyone other than his friends and unlike Shun who is calm and stoic, Wynton is a goofy prankster that doesn't take everything seriously.
- Dishing Out Dirt: As a Ventus Brawler, Wynton and Trox use Earth based attacks to fight other Bakugan.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He is able to create a device that can track Core Cell energy in his bedroom.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Adverted actually. Despite wearing them all the time, he's pretty friendly and outgoing to others.
- Plucky Comic Relief: He usually does his best to reduce any tension whether or not it succeeds.
- The Smart Guy: Wynton is Dans best friend and the Gadgeteer Genius as well as The Prankster and tech expert of the Awesome Ones. Though his jokes can drive his Bakugan and his friends mad, his acceptance of his technological skills has come in a pinch. His Bakugan represent this even further: Trox is much more strategic than the others have seen, Lupitheon's dangerously effective in said strategies, and Turtonium often uses its powers in tandem with Wynton's powers.
Voiced by: Margarita Valderrama (English), Chinatsu Akasaki (Japanese)
11-year-old Lia Venegas is one of Dan's friends and is the director of the Awesome Ones. She typically manages the equipment and decides what the group does during their videos. Like Dan and Wynton, she also gains a partner called Gorthion and later Pegatrix. As a Haos user, she specializes in using powerful, yet beautiful blasts of light.
- Action Girl: She is a very powerful brawler who can take on most foes with no problem.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Her guardian Bakugan is Pegatrix.
- Arch-Enemy: China Riot seems to be this to her.
- The Chick: Lia serves as the director of the Awesome Ones, a Genki Girl and The Heart of the team, able to help herself and her team bring out their best talents, while also willing to brawl if anyone upsets or messes with her, her family, and her team. While competent in battle, two thirds of her Bakugan team consist of a Combat Medic and and Confusion Fu.
- Composite Character: Appearance-wise, to Runo (blue hair) and Julie (tan skin).
- Cry Cute: In "Framing Devices", Lia broke down in tears when she mentioned about her father and her memories.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father is heavily implied to be dead or missing.
- Genki Girl: She's incredibly cheerful most of the time.
- Light 'em Up: As a Haos user, she and Gorthion can use the power of light to overwhelm her opponents.
- Plucky Girl: She fits the very definition of this trope.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only major hero in the series that is female.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Literally. Her natural hair color is blue of all things.
Voiced by: Ticoon Kim (English), Yumi Uchiyama (Japanese)
10-year-old Shun Kazami is from all the way from Japan and traveled to America to meet the The Awesome Ones and later join them. He is part of an extremely wealthy family which is how he even got to meet Dan and the others in the first place but often feels lonely and desiring friends. Like the others, he has a partner called Aquos Hydrous and specializes in using strategic water based attacks.
- Adaptational Personality Change: Big time. He's nothing alike to his predecessor in Battle Brawlers. He's less assertive, a bit withdrawn, and specializes in an entirely different attribute.
- Age Lift: Inverted. In the first season of the original, he is 13 years old. In this show, he is 10.
- Defector from Decadence: He left his wealthy family in Japan to join the Awesome Ones.
- Composite Character: He's got Shun's name and Marucho's personality and backstory from the original series.
- Expy: He is this to Marucho. Like Marucho, Shun is a wealthy lonely rich kid who later makes friends with the group and specializes in using Water Bakugan. He also has issues with pleasing his family.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He is a kindhearted boy who loves Bakugan and fights to protect them with his friends.
- In Name Only: His name is literally the only thing he has in common with his original counterpart. Anything else, including his appearance, personality, background, family, attribute, is different.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: His signature color is blue, alongside with his cute baby blue eyes.
- Irony: An Aquos brawler who can't swim.
- Lonely Rich Kid: His main reason for coming to America was not only to join the Awesome Ones but to become friends with them as well.
- The Lancer: Shun is the newer member of the Awesome Ones and hes much more reserved and distant compared to the founding members. However, hes a competent brawler and can take charge whenever Dan has confidence issues and act on his own when the others are preoccupied or when his family is involved. His Bakugan also serve as a calm headstrong secondary leader in battle, most notably in assistance with Dans Bakugan.
- Tritagonist: Of season 1, with his family issues being the focus of a good number of episodes.
- Making a Splash: As an Aquos user, Shun and Hydrous can use powerful torrents of water to blast their foes. In the original series, he was a Ventus brawler.
- Sixth Ranger: He joins the group later on in the first season and becomes their fifth member.
- Skunk Stripe: A blue one across his head.
- White Sheep: Compared to his father who seems cold and is Only in It for the Money & his cousin who is a villain for the season, Shun is easily the nicest person in his family.
- You Don't Look Like You: He went through a major appearance change: his hairstyle is different (even when compared to short-haired Shun), he has blond hair, blue eyes, and dresses fancily instead of like a ninja.
Voiced by: Will Bowes (English), Aki Kanada (Japanese)
18-year-old (in dog years) Lightning is The Awesome Ones pet and also their fellow teammate. Like the others Lightning can brawl despite being a French Bulldog. The unofficial mascot of the Awesome Ones, Lightning is more than capable of holding his own when he uses his partner Darkus Howlkor.
- Action Pet: Like the other Awesome Ones, he is an active battler and is more than capable of keeping up with Dan and the others.
- Big Eater: He is hungry almost all the time and even tried to eat Wynton's cake before his birthday party.
- Breaking Old Trends: Lightning marks the first for the franchise to have a non-humanoid battler on the team and being an animal no less.
- Casting a Shadow: Lighting specializes in Darkus Bakugan. Using the power of Darkness, he can overwhelm his foes with his partner's power.
- Team Pet: Lightning is Dans dog, who he adopted off the streets and serves as the mascot for the team. Despite being the dog, he acts more so of a combination of The Sneaky Guy and The Big Guy, often infiltrating enemy bases by pretending to be a stray dog and using his size to reach places his team wouldnt normally reach, and has a strong sense of loyalty to the AOs. He also frequently attacks opponents and causing physical mayhem to disrupt and prevent the villains from winning. In battle, his Bakugan have the most destructive abilities as well as strong synergy despite starting out as Vitriolic Best Buds.
- The Worf Effect: Loses his second match against Strata to show off how much more cunning Strata has become in their last encounter and less effective in the second half of the show once the villains start becoming a bigger threat.
AjitThe first Aurelus Brawler, an orphan and also the apprentice of Phantom Thief Calloway Storm. His Bakugan are Pharol and Auxillataur.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: He has been shown to have no qualms about stealing, which is understandable given his background.
- Dark and Troubled Past: According to him, he was an orphan with nothing to his name before Storm found him.
- Deuteragonist: Of season 2, a good part of the first half put his and storm´s conflict as the main focus (with Dan even bordering Supporting Protagonist as times), and even when his focus got reduce in the second half, he was still the AB with the biggest screen time second to Dan .
- Meaningful Name: Ajit is Sanskrit for "invincible" which is fitting for the one and only Aurelus Brawler.
- Non-Elemental: He uses Aurelus Bakugan, who have no element associated with them.
- The Pollyanna: He has a generally bubbly personality, in spite of his background.
- Sixth Ranger: If promotional materials go by, he joins the Awesome Ones in Armored Alliance.
- Story-Breaker Power: Big time. Ajit, for some reason, is able to use Golden Bakugan, who have been shown to be far more powerful than the average Bakugan, automatically making him the strongest brawler in the series. The fact that one of his Bakugan is The Ace of Aurelus Bakugan doesn't help either.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Even though he's a newbie at battling, he's still able to defeat even the Awesome Ones because of his Bakugan.
- Walking Spoiler: Promotional materials of season 2 spoil the fact that he may be the newest member of the Awesome Ones.
- Anonymous Benefactor: He starts off supporting the Awesome Ones' actions from the sidelines until he fully introduces himself to them in the Dawn before Dusk two partner.
- The Atoner: In the second season, he has assumed responsibility for all things Bakugan related as a way of atoning for his actions.
- Big Good: Alongside Pyravian, he's the most resourceful ally on the protagonist's side.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Though his intentions are noble, there's no denying that some of Benton's actions are... questionable, including but not limited to;
- Countering Kravitz's misrepresentation of Bakugan by sending a satellite crashing towards Los Volmos, gambling with thousands of lives on the chance that the AO would save them and prove that Bakugan are actually good.
- Putting Dan and Wynton's lives in danger in the maze just to see their personalities.
- Cain and Abel: He is the Abel to Philomena Dusk, who is Big Bad of the first-half of season one.
- Cool Shades: He wear orange shades and is an overall likable character.
- The Dreaded: When Tiko takes him under his control, Benton's only intellect, resources and brawling are used by Tiko to turn him into the most dangerous avatar. Anyone with a Bakugan not owned by Dan or Philomena can't touch his Hydranoid, and with Dusk Industries, he can shut down and regulate control of any attempts to stop Tiko's plans. Tiko explains this to him before he becomes fully possessed.
- Early Installment Weirdness: His character card art has him looking much more evil than he actually is, and his first bio seemed to hint at him becoming the Big Bad later on. These were ideas that were ultimately scrapped, to an extent since...
- Good All Along: He is mysterious figure who is related to Philomena Dusk and AAANIMUS.Inc. As the story progress, his willingness to become the mentor of The Awesome Ones clearly proved that he is a good guy.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Used to be AAANIMUS Inc. chief officer before Philomena take over his status.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Philomena Dusk, the first Big Bad, and his sister. The two used to be close and like the Awesome Ones, were the first to discover and learn about Bakugan when they were younger during the first Great Collision until they were driven apart by business. While his sister is only interested in profit and control of Bakugan, he wants Bakugan to be accessible to everyone.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His actions may seem dubious, but he means well. His goal is to make Bakugan available to everyone. Too bad Tiko decides to take advantage of his plans, something he wishes to atone for in Armored Alliance.
- Ambiguously Good: Although she is a good guy, she has directly opposed the Awesome Ones twice. Subverted by the fact that she was justified both times as she believed that they were trying to corrupt the Core cells.
- Big Good: She aids our heroes several times in the series.
- Declaration of Protection: While facing Magnus and his Nillious in the maze, she declares loudly that she will protect the Core cells.
- Expy: of Storm Skyress from the legacy series. They share several similarities in both design and themes.
- Giant Flyer: She is an enormous flying bird Bakugan.
- Mr. Exposition: A female example. When she is not helping the heroes in some way, she's infodumping.
- Playing with Fire: Although as a golden Bakugan she is a Non-Elemental, some of her moves, such as "Phoenix fire" and "Aurelus Restore" seem to incorporate fire.
- Cast From Hit Points: Her "Aurelus Arrow". She once used it to destroy several Bakuzon, but was seriously drained afterwards.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only female member of the Bakugan Supreme Council.
Voiced by: Cory Doran
- The Ace: According to his bio, he is arguably the strongest member of the Council.
- An Ice Person: One of his attacks is firing beams from his mouth that freeze anyone they come in contact with.
- Badass in Distress: He spends most of his screentime chained up by Benton possessed by Tiko as the V-virus eats away at him.
- Disney Death: He goes into deep hibernation mode when he succumbs to the virus and disappears in the episode "Trhyno Lives." Don't worry, he comes back in Armoured Alliance.
- Mr. Exposition: He's the one who reminds Drago of the Legendary Armour, as well as Tiko's past.
- Worf Had the Flu: He is beaten by Magnus and Nillious due to him suffering from the V-virus.
voiced by: Jamie Watson
Goreene is a cyclops/golem like Aurelus Bakugan and a member of the Supreme Council. He first appears in the episode "Kazami Family Feud" in Drago's dream.
- Badass Baritone: He speaks in a deep, gruff voice.
- Combat Medic: Although he is very strong, his true strength lies in his healing ability.
- Humans Are Bastards: Among the Supreme Council members, he is the least trusting of humans, which is understandable given he was kidnapped and used as a battery by Ichiro Kazami.. He even sides with Vilochin season three, whose goal is to separate Earth and Vestroia.
- Spin Attack: His "Avalanche" ability
- Super Strength: He could hold off multiple Bakuzon by himself using nothing but his strength.