A bestselling author of casual romance novels, Mike Noonan suffered first the death of his wife and then his career. Left adrift and aimless, he follows his (literal) dreams to his summer home, in the hopes of resuscitating his writing once again. This leads him to a chance encounter with a lovely young woman and her daughter who are in a lot of trouble.
- The Alcoholic: He's not one, but he drinks a lot since the death of his wife, and there are moments where he is afraid he might be turning into one.
- Berserk Button: Max Devore serves Mike with a subpoena so as to intimidate him from helping Mattie, which Mike really doesn't want to do at first. All it does is piss him off so much that he resolves to do whatever he can to help her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frequently. Puts on a master performance during the custody deposition that completely unnerves Elmer Durgin.
- Has a Type: What made Mike fall in love with Johanna was her choice in reading material. His other interests are usually book lovers as well.
- Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: Mike is actually a perfectly decent human being and not much of a Jerkass externally, but his inner monologue is occasionally condescending and judgmental, even to people he cares about.
- Married to the Job: His writer's block is almost as tragic a loss for him as the death of his wife.
- The Stoic: Even when his problems all but consume his life, he will absolutely never ask anyone for help.