The owner of the cafe Happy Days, which sells emotions. A friend of Mary-Jane's and interested in Artemis.
Played by Sana.
- The Charmer: Literally. One of Esmos' power is to charm people closer to him, which is probably one of the reasons that his cafe is so successful.
- Eye Scream: His eye? Yeah, it's not hidden. It's gone.
- Knowledge Broker: Offers DoCA information in return for cash on occasion. Everyone's gotta make a living.
- Messy Hair: Somewhat on purpose, since he's missing an eye. Goes meta when you realize that there are four items being used to make up his hair. Messy indeed.
- Non-Action Guy: Esmos won't exactly join in on the action, especially since he's a citizen.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover one of his eyes.
- Perma-Stubble: He always seems to be in need of a shave.
The manager of Raven's Nest. Fascinated with black magic, and sometimes that fascination goes a little too far...
Played by Kira.
- Ambiguously Evil: Quilla organizes and runs the underground auction beneath the Raven's Nest. While she doesn't actually mean any harm, sometimes her suppliers put up items that have definitely been plucked from a living being, such as avian feathers or human eyes. Quilla never questions it since it brings her money.
- Blood Magic: Quilla's magic requires ink made from her own blood. She has several fountain pens that are designed to draw from her for this very purpose.
- Blue and Orange Morality: As far as Quilla's concerned, her hands are clean as long as she doesn't actually go collect items herself. Though she's willing to make exceptions for items plucked from living people now, it's unclear if she would agree to that if she hadn't seen the duress it caused the DoCA.
- Boyish Short Hair: Quilla has short hair that doesn't get very far past her ears.
- Collector of the Strange: Quilla enjoys collecting dark magic tomes and cursed items as a hobby, keeping them all in a back room in her bookstore.
- Hidden Depths: The aftermath of what happened because she didn't keep a close enough eye on her books crushed her, and she immediately began taking steps to secure her collection.
- It's All My Fault: Wholly blames herself for the demon incident with her book.
- Lack of Empathy:
- Quilla doesn't particularly care too much about where her items come from, living or otherwise.
- Eventually averted with the demon incident, though it's unknown if this will really affect how Quilla runs her auction in the future.
- Mismatched Eyes: One eye is blue, one eye is purple. It comes with her half-elf heritage.
- Nerd Glasses: Quilla wears glasses that are a bit far down on her nose.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Quilla really likes the occult.
Quilla's assistant and friend.
Mayur's cousin. Helps run the craft store.
Mayur's cousin. Runs a scholar's library.
A sweet elf that runs a flower shop in the middle of town.
- Multicolored Hair: Her hair fades into purple at the ends.
- True Blue Femininity: Wears mostly blue.
The owner of the sweets shop, the Bee's Knees. A victim of the Spider Orchid.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite their sweet outward appearance, Debby has quite a lot of bite and makes it clear to Sanura that they aren't about to be pushed around.
- Hair Decorations: A comb in their hair.
- Mixed Ancestry: 1/4 fairy.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Debby is ordinarily the sweetest person you'll meet... unless you annoy them, in which case they become rather terrifying.
- Sweet Tooth: Debby likes sweets; honey, specifically, but they'll eat almost anything that has enough sugar in it.
Debby's older sibling. Rescued Debby from the Spider Orchid some years back. Unreasonably horny.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Boy howdy, do they like to bang.
- Mixed Ancestry: 1/4 fairy.
- Properly Paranoid: Keeps a close eye on their sibling, Debby, in the event that the Spider Orchid comes around to take them away again.
- Really Gets Around: Well-known to sleep around. Somehow they haven't picked up a reputation as a player.
An Egyptian man that works at the local antiques shop, Nuit's Niceties. Currently interested in Chang. Twins with Ziza.
- Adorkable: As much a fan of video games as Lap, and has no problem with showing off his booty shorts.
- Blow You Away: Can manipulate air.
- Theme Twin Naming: Asa stems from Osiris, and his sister's name, Ziza, stems from Isis.
- Troll: Enjoys messing with people sometimes, just because.
An Egyptian woman that works at the local antiques shop, Nuit's Niceties. Currently interested in Sacha. Twins with Asa.
- Determinator: If there is one thing Ziza doesn't know how to do, it's know when to give up. Mary-Jane beaned her with a metal pole and she still wouldn't stay down.
- Eye Scream: Apophis, through Seth, ripped her eye out.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Loves makeup and also girls.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: She has long hair that she keeps tied up in a ponytail.
- Outnumbered Sibling: She is the only girl out of two boys.
- Theme Twin Naming: Ziza stems from Isis, and her brother's name, Asa, stems from Osiris.
- Super Toughness: It is really hard to keep Ziza down.
A kitsune who works as a masseuse at the local spa.
A trans mermaid that runs Survivor's Guilt, an underground club. Friends with Bloom.
- Eyepatch of Power: One look at that and you know that Vey isn't someone to be messed with.
CoriA member of Juno's band. Works at the local diner.
The owner of Club Vortex.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has green hair.
An angel that hangs around Club Vortex.
- It's All About Me: Patience thinks himself far more important than everyone else, and he makes sure everyone knows it.
- Winged Humanoid: Being an angel, he has two sets of wings.
The bartender at Club Vortex.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
One of the Merry Mages.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
One of the Merry Mages.
One of the Merry Mages.
- Messy Hair: Evidently, Hart has never heard of a hairbrush.
One of the Merry Mages.
- Archer Archetype: Also unlike Sherwood, Wrenn is calm and poised; perfectly suiting a typical archer.
The False God/Parvaneh Chrysalise
The false god of the Spider Orchid. Amil's mother.
- Deadpan Snarker: When they're feeling better, they have their moments.Sirius: I got beef.
Parvaneh: Do share. They rarely feed me meat in fear it shall provide my body nourishment. I am capable of playing several melodies on my ribs. Such as 'Sicko Mode' or perhaps 'Mo Bamba'.
- Deal with the Devil: Made a Deal with Cuffe that resulted in Amil's birth. The specifics of the deal are unknown.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Parva does not remember anything about their mother, Sirius, and many other things.
- Lonely at the Top: Parva is kept in solitude away from the rest of the cult and does not interact with others much beyond Anahita and Amil.
- Mama Bear: They would do anything to protect Amil.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: If there is an easy way of saying something, Parva will take the high road and say it as complicatedly as possible.
AnahitaThe High Priest of the Spider Orchid. Amil's father.
- Deal with the Devil: Made a deal with Cuffe to protect Parva... at the expense of everyone Parva's Deal protected Cuffe from.
- Trapped in Villainy: After MJ forced Cuffe to release Parvaneh, Anahita was left with no choice but to walk the path of villainy under Cuffe.
AmilA young boy investigating the Spider Orchid cult. Child of Anahita and the Monarch.
- Adorably Precocious Child: If there's one thing Amil knows how to do, it's how to take the ceremony out of anything.
- Deep Sleep: Currently asleep in his chrysalis that will take him through puberty.
- Meaningful Name: In-Universe. Amil means both "hope" and "worker"; Parvaneh chose it for the first meaning and Cuffe accepted it for the second.
- Take Me Instead: Offered himself up in Parva's place so Parva could go free.
Parvaneh's father and the true man behind the cult.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Despite his atrocious nature, the drows like Cuffe due to his high standing in their society.
A Spider Orchid cultist very high up on the food chain. Parvaneh's foster sibling, and the foster child of both Ajwa and Mamba, albeit at different times.
- Being Evil Sucks: Hates being a part of the cult. They dislike actually harming people, but they are left with no choice but to embrace an evil facade to remain in power.
- Compelling Voice: Ananta's Suggestion makes it easy for them to convince others to do what they want.
- Cowardly Lion: It is extremely easy to make Ananta cry, as they are inherently afraid of just about everything. However, they tend to lash out when they are afraid, making them more dangerous than they first seem.
- Hair Decorations: They have a few butterfly clips in their hair.
- Has Two Mommies: In a twist of this trope, Ananta has two mothers from different points in their life. Mamba raised them from birth, and Ajwa raised them from age eight.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: According to Sirius, they have the ability to manipulate memory. They suspect that Ananta is the reason that Ajwa does not remember them.
- Manipulative Bastard: Ananta possesses the power of Suggestion. Rather than outright manipulating someone, they prefer to gently nudge someone towards the edge and let them leap off themselves.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Ananta only joined the cult so they could stay close to Parvaneh.
- Poisonous Person: Can eject poison out of their fangs that can kill someone within ten hours.
- Rebellious Rebel: Ananta absolutely despises the Spider Orchid, and does what they can to rebel while still staying in power, such as helping Anahita when they aren't supposed to.
A mysterious individual with ties to the Spider Orchid cult. Vanished after the fight in the sewers.
- Starter Villain: The first bad guy the DoCA faced.
A hot human(?) who fought alongside the priest in the sewers.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Wears a lot of purple.
A powerful zombie who fought alongside the priest in the sewers.
An irredeemable dumpster fire of a man that goaded Leif into joining the cult.
Played by Bell.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tricked Leif into nearly sacrificing his unborn child to enter the Spider Orchid.
A sect leader that performed experiments under Cuffe's behest.
A quiet young man that hangs around and occasionally does IT for the DoCA.
Played by Celyn.
- Adorkable: Lap loves video games, helping his friends, and gets very excited about both.
- Eyes Always Shut: Beyond his thick glasses, Lap's eyes are closed.
- Missing Mom: Lost his mother figure, Cadence, when her spider left her. Lap is extremely broken up about it.
- Nerd Glasses: An even worse offender than Quilla. Lap's glasses are big, round, and almost completely obscure his eyes.
- Non-Action Guy: Lap, mostly. Since he's not an actual agent, he can't take part in missions, but he occasionally finds himself mixed up in them regardless.
- Shock and Awe: Lap can generate electricity, and often uses it to connect to electronics. In a pinch, he can use it to zap someone.
A young man concerned with his brother, Lap's, happiness.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Entered the House after his parents were killed. It's implied that he was wandering for a long time.
A resident of the House that Lap and Moros grew up in.
The child of Ambrose and Monroe.
- Back from the Dead: Mouse is technically dead; the body is just a puppet that he's possessing.
A local artist. Assisted Moros with his kidnapping of Mary-Jane.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: They have purple hair.
The heir to a local big-time company. Sirius's sibling.
- Attention Whore: They absolutely adore attention, whether it's positive or negative.
- Blue Blood: Rich. Very rich. So, so rich.
- Control Freak: Underneath all of their antagonistic behavior, closer inspection reveals that Sanura is very, very controlling. They control everything in their environment as much as they possibly can, and greatly dislikes factors that are beyond their control. These tendencies stem from paranoia that they will be betrayed.
- Friendless Background: According to Mayur, they have no friends. Even Mayur is not their friend.
- Heavy Sleeper: It's hard to get Sanura to wake up. Really hard.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: It's implied that this is the root of a lot of their behavior; Sanura makes up for their insecurities by acting over the top and lording their power over everyone they know.
- It's All About Me: Self-centered and tends to only think about how things affect themself.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Beneath their rude exterior, they are actually quite lonely and seek companionship that won't try to kill them.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As intuited by Sirius, their motives aren't always about themselves; they can actually be quite kind, though they have a very obtuse way of going about it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Sanura is used to getting their way, even if they have to manipulate the hearts of others to do so.
- The Paranoiac: Sanura is extremely paranoid and takes control of as many aspects of their life as they are able to in order to quell the feeling.
- Power Incontinence: If their emotions spike, things begin breaking around them. According to Sirius, they had an issue with controlling their Destructive magic in their youth.
- The Resenter: Hates Sirius with a deep passion, to the point that they won't even acknowledge their presence and refer to them as "mutt" or "it".
- Rich Bitch: Sanura is very, very rich and very, very mean.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Beneath Sanura's prickly persona is a very sad, upset person.
Sanura's assistant. A calm, collected individual that has no time for nonsense.
- Agent Peacock: Mayur is a very well-dressed individual, and is also no slacker, as they previously served as Sanura's only means of defense.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: One of their primary magical abilities is to Reason out a statement to its logical conclusion. This enables them to close up loopholes in Sanura's contracts and keep them as airtight as possible.
- The Comically Serious: They do not actually seem to... smile. Or laugh. This leads to them delivering lines in a deadpan tone.Mayur: Perhaps if I am arsed, I will pour dressing directly into my mouth along with lettuce to achieve the same, if not greater, effect as a salad.
- Servile Snarker: While they work for Sanura, by no means are they controlled by them.
ShoorA tiger person previously working in the circus, now taken in by Sanura. Acts as Sanura's bodyguard when they go out.
One of the owners of Kattskyls Corporate and Sanura and Sirius's mother.
One of the owners of Kattskyls Corporate and Sanura and Sirius's father.
AiraA singer. Her mother, Cadence, performs alongside her in a robot.
CadenceA robot that sings along with Aria. Actually Aria's mother, with her soul stuffed in a robot.
- Back from the Dead: Her soul was stuffed into a robot and connected with one of Parva's spiders.
- Haunted Technology: Haunts a robot.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Clown!!!!!
CupcakeAn acrobat performing in the circus.
- Stuff Blowing Up: She can blow things up and is responsible for most of the circus being on fire during Chapter Three.
OachThe ringmaster of the circus. Brutally beaten to death by Cadence.
A kind woman, and a fourth-grade teacher at the local public school. Ananta's first foster mother.
JavierA kindly priest who runs the local church.
The mysterious leader of the Foxes.
- Cool Mask: Wears a mask that covers their entire face.
- Hard Light: Capable of taking their own light and making it solid, creating solid projectiles out of nothing.
- Light 'em Up: Produces their own light.
- Master of Illusion: They can produce illusions, which is how they got so close to the party in the first place; they created an illusion of nothing going on in the windows, when they were in fact getting closer.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The moment Soleil consumes their light and starts using it against them, they flee, abandoning their two companions.
An elf in the Foxes. Captured by DoCA.
- Dual Wielding: Dual-wields knives.
- Invisibility: Can turn invisible at will.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair covers her left eye.
- The Quiet One: Talks very rarely, and when she does, it's short sentences.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Fennyl. This works against her when Fennyl leaves her behind and presumably counted on this very trait of hers to keep his identity from being exposed.
An elf with the Foxes. Captured by DoCA, but he escaped, leaving his partner, Beat, behind.
- Covered in Scars: What little can be seen of his face is scarred.
A friend of Mary-Jane's and fiance to Leif. Currently pregnant.
- Healing Hands: Provides first aid to DoCA after missions. Her Mend requires her to touch a body part that needs healing for it to work.
- The Medic: One of the few characters in the universe to have healing powers.
- Non-Action Guy: She doesn't participate in battle, but she does show up for the aftermath to help heal the injured.
Yseult's fiance. A friendly man that bit off a bit much more than he could chew.
- Mr. Fixit: He's pretty handy when things break down.
CaitlynnA victim of Duolingo Avian Lady.
What remains of the kids trapped inside the Duolingo Avian Lady's computer.
- Extra Eyes: They have three more than they need.
- Haunted Technology: A robot that is haunted by the souls of dead children.
- Many Spirits Inside of One: Fifteen dead souls stuffed into one robot.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Duolingo lady didn't have to make Compilation look so human...
- Sharing a Body: Fifteen souls in one body. Mom said it's my turn on the robot.
An avian kid that's friends with Esme.
An elf seeking dreams for her spouse, Serenity.
- Devoted to You: Lydian is completely and wholly devoted to Serenity and dedicates most of her time getting dreams for them.
- Flower Motifs: Shares a flower motif with Serenity; Lydian has Serenity's flower as a pendant around her neck.
A dream-eater. Spouse of Lydian.
- Cannot Dream: This happens to the people whose dreams Serenity eats; they lose the ability to dream.
- Dream Stealer: Eats dreams provided by their wife, Lydian.
- Flower Motifs: A unique five-pointed flower that they share with their wife, Lydian.
A teddy bear?
A friendly, bookish succubus.
Carolyn's closest friend. Used to her antics, and her biggest support in her times of need.
A quiet girl with a penchant for painting.
- Art Initiates Life: Scarlett can animate her artwork, giving it a sort of life of its own.
- Demonic Possession: Possessed by a demon summoned from the Keys of Solomon, and wreaks havoc. She gets better, but the experience leaves her traumatized.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Scarlett is quiet, white as a ghost, has hair as black as night, and wears mostly black and purple. However, this is subverted as she's actually much kinder than her appearance would suggest.
- Elective Mute: Scarlett rarely speaks, instead letting her art do the speaking for her. She can speak, but due to her weak vocal chords she prefers not to.
- Emotionless Girl: Scarlett cannot emote, and instead communicates her thoughts and emotions through her art.
- Grand Theft Me: Was possessed by an unnamed demon through a bad deal and a dysfunctional summoning circle.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Scarlett is pale and has dark, dark hair.
A previous client. A soft young woman that harbors deep concern for her younger brother.
- The Medic: Possesses the Mend tag, which allows her to heal when she needs to.
A young man that doesn't get out much. Apophis took his eye, but he got it back.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Jack possesses the power Crumble, which crumbles anything that he touches. He has trouble controlling it, which is why he's careful about who he touches.
- Eye Scream: Apophis, through Seth, ripped his eye out.
Younger brother to Asa and Ziza and victim of Apophis.
- Big Brother Worship: Looks up to his older brother and sister and strives to be like them.
- The Scapegoat: Initially meant to serve as one for Apophis, since he's the one that pulled out Ziza and Jack's eyes.
- Shrinking Violet: Actually quite shy, and doesn't tend to trust others easily.
A corrupt man that forced Seth to take his sister and cousin's eyes. Taken out by the DoCA.
- Chaos Is Evil: Possesses the tag Chaos, which he used to nearly bring the whole building down on the agents.
A rude elf looking for something to pass the time.
AltheniaThe mother of Pattie. A mermaid, which is why she has such a cool name.
JackPattie's father. A normal man, who doesn't have as cool a name as his wife.
PattieA young woman possessed by a demon.
The DemonA mysterious demon that smashed through the church's ward. Whereabouts unknown.
A previous client. A deity that we should not provoke lest we invoke Her wrath.
Meredith "Juno" JuniperMary-Jane's twin sister and leader of a local band.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to MJ's girly girl.
Kemal's sister's child. Currently under the care of Kemal.
- Adorably Precocious Child: She's sweet, running around and getting mud on her dress.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Wears a princess dress. Princesses are her thing right now.
A sweet drow woman who doesn't get out often. The client of this particular chapter.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: According to Sirius, she once knew them. However, she no longer recognizes them.
A local artist that's wrapped up in a bad deal with Cuffe.
- Book Dumb: They're street smart, not book smart.
- Captain Oblivious: Doesn't know that Esmos views them as a rival.
- Deep Sleep: Fell into a coma as a result of reviving their sibling, Lele.
- Little Sister Instinct: Fiercely protects their older sibling, Lele, with everything they have.
- Nature Lover: Keeps a lot of plants in their apartment.
- The Needs of the Many: Tends to put the needs of other people before themselves.
- The Remnant: The only surviving member of an island nation.
- Third Eye: Has one in the center of their forehead.
- You Should Have Died Instead: Thinks this of Sanura and Sirius, who their sibling almost died protecting.
Lele FleurChaisha's older sibling. They were in a permanent coma, but Chaisha sacrificed for them until they woke up, and then Chaisha somehow woke up as well.
- Deep Sleep: Was in a coma for over twelve years after taking a bullet to the spine.
- Hope Bringer: Chaisha themselves called them this.Chaisha: A long time ago my sibling almost died because they had to take the hit for people who lived without having to worry about meals on their tables. And I would have given up. Especially seeing as it left them in a coma. But they always told me that you can't just sit around and be sad. You have to act. And you have to act with hope.
- Only Mostly Dead: They were in a coma for thirteen years.
OculusThe demon possessing Kemal.
- Symbiotic Possession: Oculus gets negative emotions and Kemal gets... what, exactly?