A list of character tropes that appear in B Gata H Kei manga/anime.
Takizawa High School - Main
Yamada is the story's main protagonist. She's a 15 (by the end of the series 16) year old high school student who is completely sex crazy. Her main goal is to have 100 sex friends (no word is spoken if she wants them sequentially or all at once), but as she's completely inexperienced with sex and never had a boyfriend, she targets Kosuda, a completely generic and unremarkable guy, to have her first time with, and then dump him and continue her journey. Of course her plan has some super-tiny weaknesses she has not thought about. Her best friend is Takeshita, whom she constantly freaks out with her sex-related questions. She's an excellent student, very popular in her class and has an inferiority complex for her small breast size and her "that place".
- A-Cup Angst: She's a B cup, so she isn't actually flat, but since her rival (Miyano) and her best friend (Takeshita) are both stacked, it hits her pretty hard. When she hears that big breasts tend to not be as sensitive as smaller ones, she seems to get over it, although not reallyYamada: What, F-Shita? [looks at Takeshita's rack]
Takeshita: [grabs Yamada's chin] It's Takeshita! Look at my face, my face!
- Alpha Bitch: She is very popular in school and tends to be very haughty and arrogant. She believes that every man should immediately fall in love with her.
- Animal Motifs: Yamada is often shown compared with predatorious mammals like wolfs or tigers, showing her thirst for having sex.
- Bath Kick: She does one in the very beginning of the series to show how beautiful she is, but her bad body image brings her down fast.
- Battle Aura: Displayed quite prominently by Yamada when Kyouka decided to attempt to seduce Kosuda.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Yamada spends a lot of time practicing how to console Kosuda because she assumes he'll have a small one. She's surprised when she actually sees how big it is and gets scared; their first time hurts like hell for her.
- Blatant Lies: On one point in the manga, Kosuda asks her if she ever masturbates too. When she says "no", both Takeshita and her sex goddess are completely freaked out.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Yamada is the boke to Takeshita's tsukkomi. This usually goes like this: she says something hideously perverted, Takeshita smacks the bejeezus out of her for it.
- Character Development: Yamada starts out thinking that sex is all that matters in life, and only wanting Kosuda as a stepping stone to getting a lot of casual sex partners. She's in too much of a hurry to lose her virginity, and doesn't think about what it means to have an actual relationship. Her first attempts to seduce him are embarrassing because she sends mixed messages, can't be honest with her feelings, and has a totally unrealistic idea of how people actually communicate and get together. Eventually she ends up falling in love with Kosuda, and can finally confess to it in front of everybody else. Even though Their First Time hurts and lasts all of six seconds, the emotional connection and her perceived gain in femininity make up for that. By the end of the manga, Yamada has a much more mature and realistic view of sex and relationships, but still has her moment of sex-craziness.
- Character Level: A rare non video game example and Played for Laughs. Yamada receives a "level up" after Kosuda touches her boobs. From this day on she calls herself "Yamada II" and tries to finally become "Yamada III" (after having sex).
- Chuunibyou: While we don't really have much information about her life in middle school, she comes with a lots of tropes that fit this trope: Cloudcuckoolander, It's All About Me, Know-Nothing Know-It-All, Escapism, Ms Imagination and to a degree I Just Want to Be Special. She also has some special powers like "Yamada Eye".
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Yamada is extremely jealous. When she first sees Miyano, she instantly freezes and recognized her as her rival. She goes completely crazy when Kosuda and Miyano watch the stars together in Episode 7 and tries to shoot him with an air gun. The same thing happens, when Kanejou invites Kosuda and he explains what happened.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Yamada lives in her own little world where everything revolves around sex. She's comically oblivious to the fact that everybody has to figure out their sexuality and believes Everybody Has Lots of Sex except her.
- Color Failure: Very often, most notably when she witnesses Miyano telling Kosuda that she will come to his house in Episode 2 or when Takeshita points out that she really likes Kosuda.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Frequently in the manga (usually she calls it "doing H-stuff alone") which leads to a Running Gag that has the fourth panel featuring both her and Kosuda retreating to this simultaneously. This is mostly left ambiguous in the anime.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: She has a habit of loudly replying to her own inner Imagine Spots, sometimes even with a Big "NO!".
- Didn't Think This Through: She has the target of 100 sex friends but gets into her quest completely unprepared what obstacles she might face and assumes that everything will work out just as planned. It doesn't...
- Epic Fail: Subverted in episode 4. When Yamada tries to kiss Kosuda she hits her head and even says "epic fail" but they end up kissing anyway.
- Erotic Eating: She tries to do this to impress Kosuda in Kyoto, but fails.Yamada: Fufu, what do you think? Aren't I sexy eating this hot dog?
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex: She strongly believes this and is fixated on the idea of having lots of sex. She's Wrong Genre Savvy by trying to be The Pornomancer in a Hentai story, and when frustrated she assumes that everybody except her is having lots of sex, when in reality everyone her age is going through the same kind of difficulties with the opposite sex.
- Everyone Has Standards: As manipulative and self-centered as Yamada can be, she has an agonizing time formulating her reply to Kosuda's confession: Telling him no would screw her plan, but telling him yes (as Takeshita advises her to) is out of the question, since it would be a lie. And Yamada wouldn't deceive anyone on something as important as that to get into their pants! Of course, as Takeshita has already realized, it 'wouldn't' be a lie, but Yamada is too oblivious to realize that. In the end, she goes for the Tsundere type response: "I don't hate you!" Also, while she says on two occasions that Kosuda is a loser, she only does this to hide their relationship and when being asked, not because she's evil-meaning.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Yamada really wants to get laid but every time she gets close to no longer being a virgin something gets in the way, usually some kind of Moment Killer. In the manga, they eventually do consummate their relationship in chapter 288 (of 300).
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Yamada attempts this on Kosuda, while he's in the hospital. And then his actual nurse flirts with him.
- Friends with Benefits: At one point she considers her relationship with Kosuda to be ultimately this, although that's not what Kosuda wants.
- Going Commando: She goes without underwear in episode 5 to rise her ero-power and impress Kosuda. As Finagle's Law is in full effect in this universe, it's a very windy day and her action backfires in a spectacular way.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Yamada's (distinct from her eros deity) appear occasionally, most notably when she makes out in the park with Kosuda.
- Groin Attack: Yamada against Kosuda after get gets an erection while she's hiding under the hospital bed sheets.
- Harem Seeker: Yamada wants hundreds if not thousand sex friends originally, until she gives up her desire near manga's end.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Yamada can't quite handle her sexual urge and believes she has to do it with as many guys as possible.
- Hospital Hottie: She impersonates a nurse in Episode 12 to seduce Kosuda. Other people in the hospital comment on her hotness.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- She says about Kosuda that it cute how easy virgins can be manipulated. Takeshita doesn't take long to point out that she's a virgin herself.
- Despite being a Lovable Sex Maniac, Yamada is quick to engage in Slut-Shaming whenever she thinks another girl is romantically interested in Kosuda or threatens to upstage her as the school idol.
- I Have This Friend...: Yamada uses this to get advice from Chika, who sees through it right away.
- Idiot Hair: On several occasions, usually when talking to Kosuda.
- Imagine Spot: There are boatloads of these in every episode, since Yamada's imagination has a tendency to run away with itself and she can't see reality anymore. Of course they are always sexual in nature. By the 8th episode, we have Imagine Spots Within Imagine Spots
- The Immodest Orgasm: She experiences at least three of them in the manga when being alone, when she believes it could be the last time before the deed.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Yamada has a huge inferiority complex for being B-cupped and a virgin, but she's also a haughty Alpha Bitch who believes that any man should fall for her on the spot.
- Informed Attractiveness: Yamada is treated as far and above every other girl in the school in terms of attractiveness, but most of the main female characters are pretty much just as attractive. Lampshaded when Yamada enters the school beauty contest.
- It's All About Me: She is very selfish and doesn't see it.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Played for Laughs. Yamada constantly expounds about her sexual knowledge and her eventual plans to have 100 sex friends, but in reality she has zero experience and often panics when she's faced with an actual romantic situation.
- Last-Name Basis: Yamada is called by everybody, except her family, by her last named. And she calls everyone, except her family, by their last names. Her first name is never revealed.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Yamada's defining character trait, though she has traits of the Covert Pervert too (from the standpoint of the other characters that are not Takeshita): She thinks about sex 24/7 and reads erotic magazines all the time, she torments Takeshita with sex-related questions, she's jumping to sexual conclusions with everything and believes that everybody is just as sex-crazy as her, she highlights all sex-related words in her dictionary (that means half of the book in her case), when Kanejou invites Kosuda to her house her (fake) lip reading skills tell her Kanejou asks for sex, she interprets Kosuda's present (earrings) as a way for him to say "I want to penetrate you" and (among other things) she has photos of all kind of copulating animals on her cell phone (in the manga). She is still a likeable character and while she changes over time, her character type is never deconstructed.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: She fantasizes about doing it with Kosuda in a cable car, a Ferris wheel and even more. Also invoked when she tries to seduce Kosuda in the dark room of Kosuda's photography club.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Towards poor Kosuda. Yamada decides to pick him as the individual that she will lose her virginity to, but everytime she forces him into a sexual situation, she winds up chickening out, sending him mixed signals of whether she's actually interested in him or not.
- Ms. Imagination: She spends most of her time in her fantasy world where all her sex plans work out, although Reality Ensues quite quickly most of the time.Yamada: Actually it's all a dream and in reality I have a lot of experience.
- Naked Apron: She imagines this very often, either on herself or on Miyano.
- Nature Abhors a Virgin: Yamada hates herself for being a virgin and tries to change that as soon as possible. In the manga, when she's expected to write down her goal for her life after high school, she writes "losing virginity". Her teacher Akai is not very happy about this.
- She delivers one in episode 6 that doubles up with a title drop. You absolutely can't argue with her on this.Yamada: There's no way he could escape from my charms! After all, I'm the epitome of B-type H-ism!
- She is described as "ero-schoolgirl" in the manga. She calls on of the nurses in the hospital "ero-nurse" too.
- She delivers one in episode 6 that doubles up with a title drop. You absolutely can't argue with her on this.
- Never My Fault: When ever something goes wrong (which happens A LOT), she always claims it's Kosuda's fault while she is the one who can't express her feelings.
- Yamada: It's all Kosuda's fault.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Although she's not a noblewoman, she does it occasionally, mostly when making sex plans.
- Not a Date: In episode 10 she's dating Kosuda but they both claim otherwise when Misato shows up.
- Panty Shot: Provided several times throughout the series by Yamada, including a chalkboard-drawn version seen about 35 seconds into the opening of each episode.
- Perspective Flip: The series is essentially a standard harem anime told exclusively from the perspective of the Tsundere character. The object of Yamada's affections is a completely nondescript generic Nice Guy, and her rivals for his love include his Yamato Nadeshiko childhood friend, his flirty and masculine older sister, and a stuck-up rich girl. Other cliches such as Kosuda having a perverted Bromantic Foil are also shown but not given much focus to further emphasize how drastically the shift in perspective changes the flow of the story. Additionally, while the audience gets to see every side of Yamada's personality over the course of the show, her tendency to behave both aggressively and strangely when around Kosuda cause her to appear to be much more of a straightforward tsundere to him than she actually is.
- Photographic Memory: Played for Laughs. As a child, Yamada trained herself to memorize text at a glance so that she could read dirty magazines she saw people reading without being obvious about it. This (in addition to the fact that she likes to read through the dictionary to find the dirty words) is why she has such high grades despite her sex obsession.
- Poor Communication Kills: The plot is mostly driven by Yamada's problem that she can't express her feelings towards Kosuda or anybody else. At first she just wants sex but then develops feelings is completely overwhelmed by them but can't tell Kosuda what she really wants so he keeps guessing for most of the time.
- Porn Stash: While they are rather erotic magazines than porn, she has lots of them under their bed and often worries what will happen to them when she's not home.
- Quest for Sex: Primarily Yamada's quest but it becomes Yamada and Kosuda's joint quest over time.
- Reality Ensues: Happens quite a lot, whenever she learns that having sex is more complicated than in Harem Manga. Also when Yamada is making Valentine's Day chocolates for Kosuda (and bragging about how easy it is), kitchen-savvy viewers might notice that she's not using a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Sure enough, her chocolate soon begins burning, and she has to try again...this time, using a double boiler.
- Really Gets Around: Played with in the case of Yamada, who wants to be this but her inability to send clear signals and her extreme insecurity with all aspects of love prevent her from getting laid.
- Riddle for the Ages: Yamada's first name is never stated, not even when Kosuda asks for it by the end of the manga. In the closing narration, the author acknowledges that this secret has not been revealed but chooses to keep it for herself.
- Secret Relationship: She tries to keep her relationship with Kosuda a secret, one of the few things she does that is a success. In the end she and Kosuda both make their relationship public and everybody believes she must have lost a bet or something.
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage: Yamada believes that sex is the most important step for her to reach adulthood. Whenever she gains more experience she claims that her value as woman has increased.
- Sex Is Good: She genuinely believes that having sex is a morally good act but can't handle her urge quite well. She also gives Kanejou Kyouka a lecture about how much sex rises the value and femininity of a woman.
- Sexy Santa Dress: She briefly poses in one in episode 4.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Yamada gives lots of fanservice to the audience but still is often ashamed when Kosuda sees too much of her (although she shows him herself).
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She is impulsive while her little sister Chika is more thoughtful.
- A Simple Plan: Yamada's plan of having 100 sex friends has some crippling flaws that should be obvious: She never had a boyfriend, has zero sexual experience and does not understand how to seduce Kosuda. Of course, she has to drop her plan by the end and confess her love to him.
- Slut-Shaming: Frequently refers to Kyouka as hooker due to her efforts to attract the boys in their class. Of course, given Yamada's own motives, the irony is completely lost on her.
- Stalking Is Love: She stalks Kosuda, though it's not until Kazuki calls her out on it that she realizes what she's been doing.
- Stat-O-Vision: Yamada evaluating love hotels in episode 4. It comes with a Robo Cam and gauges for "mood", "prize" and "cleanliness".
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: Yamada tries to engage in this towards Miyano due to them both having feelings for Kosuda. Miyano proves to be so nice however that Yamada finds herself giving her advice instead.
- Their First Time: The story basically turns out to be this, after Yamada sees that seducing Kosuda is not as easy as it seems.
- Title Drop: Yamada makes remarks during a Imagine Spot in episode 5 about how the show so far had been a "B-type generic love comedy".
- Troll: Poor Yamada gets mistaken for one of these when she goes online, since all she does is ask inappropriate questions about sex.
- Unexpected Virgin: She is this from Kosuda's point of view, who is completely surprised when she tells him.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Yamada can be often so cruel and self-centered that she's the perfect example of this trope were it not for her occasional bouts of endearing innocence.
- Virgin-Shaming: She does this to Kosuda in the beginning, although being a virgin herself. As she is isn't evil-meaning towards him, this is more Played for Laughs.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Yamada spends the entire second half of episode 5 deliberately not wearing panties to make Kosuda melt. The problem is that it's a very windy day and she has problems to keep her wardrobe together. A sharp air draft finally makes all visible to Kosuda. When Takeshita learns about this she's completely freaked out, but Yamada still justifies her action.Takeshita: What the hell is wrong with you? You're wearing a skirt!
- Weakness Turns Her On: One possible interpretation of Yamada's behavior and ultimately zigzagged. She turns down all guys and goes for Kosuda who is a Loser Archetype. She falls in love with him although he doesn't change very much over the course of the story, she is sometimes turned on by his alleged manliness (like when she fell on him in the book store which was more of a coincidence).
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Yamada goes through this often as her relationship with Kosuda develops. Sometimes her lack of understanding her feelings, or ignoring of feelings to prefer sexual fantasy, hinders their relationship development. When Takeshita points out that Yamada really likes Kosuda, she goes through an Heroic BSoD.
Kosuda Takashi is Yamada's classmate, her "cherry boy" and the primary target of her sexual desire, after she landed on him in the bookstore. He is perceived by Yamada and their classmates as being a plain and ordinary guy, and often enough outright as complete loser, although Yamada still holds the relatively best opinion of him. When Yamada makes advances on him, he is initially taken in, but becomes confused and anxious because of her mixed signals. He is a member of photography club and seems to be a rather boring person. He develops feelings for Yamada, but keeps guessing what she really wants. He has no idea about Yamada's plan to have 100 sex friends. His childhood friend Miyano is secretly in love with him, which he is completely unaware of.
- Accidental Misnaming: He is very often referred to with a wrong name, most notably by Kanejou Kyouka and some of his teachers.
- Accidental Pervert: Kosuda on a few occasions, though the difference is that Yamada wants it.
- Accidental Public Confession: Kosuda accidentally confesses to Yamada in front of the whole class in episode 9 while voting for a popularity contest between Yamada and Kyouka. He gets immediately turned down and laughed at by his so-called friends.
- Animal Motifs: Kosuda, who is more awkward and indecisive about those matters, is represented as a docile herbivore, like a sheep.
- Betty and Veronica: Miyano and Yamada, respectively. Miyano is his childhood friend who is very shy while Yamada is flirtatious and oversexed.
- Blessed with Suck: The most popular girl in school being after him and highly increasing his probability to lose his own virginity might sound great on paper, but it's Yamada after all who just sees him as a stepping stone (at first), who cannot express her feelings and keeps him guessing what she wants. It becomes better after a while.
- Born Winner: Inverted as he seems to be a born loser. He has always been a failure for all of his life and the other characters remind him of this constantly.
- Misato: It's not your fault that you were born a loser.
- Butt-Monkey: He has to take a lot of punishment throughout the series and is usually the one who has to do the works for everybody else (his family) or run around and take pictures (on the school trip to Kyoto). He is perceived as a loser by every character in the story, although Yamada and her sex goddess still have the best opinions about him (besides Miyano).
- Camera Fiend: Kosuda turns into this whenever they are on a school trip or he's outside in nature.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kosuda worries that he won't be able to make his confession of love for Yamada during their school trip to Kyoto. Yamada's frustrated Freak Out! moment when he finally does work up the nerve doesn't help. He finally spits it out in episode 9: in front of the whole class, during a popularity contest. Yamada is confused by her sex goddess is happy.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Yamada catches him in the manga but tells him to not worry about it because he imagined her.
- Completely Missing the Point: When Yamada wants him to invite her to a Christmas date in episode 4, she tells him that all love hotels will be shaking. Kosuda has not a single clue what this means.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Whenever Yamada comes closer to him, he retreats to this afterwards, usually with a lot of tissue boxes besides him. He mentions (to himself) he's "used" Miyano for this on occasion, as well.
- Disposable Love Interest: Yamada thinks of him as this through most of the story, but in the end, they become an Official Couple.
- Epic Fail: Kosuda has many, but probably his worst ones are:
- He firmly believes that everything he does will end in spectacular failures, also and especially sex with Yamada, if it should ever come so far. He fails to get an erection when they finally try to have sex (in the manga, not in the anime).Kosuda: Is it going to be the greatest cockblock in the history of humanity?
- Keiichi confesses to Yamada while Kosuda is on a Date with her. Some other girls in the bar point out how much of a loser he is.
- Late in the manga his sister stomps all over him in front of the whole neighborhood (and even their parents) to become more of a man.
- He firmly believes that everything he does will end in spectacular failures, also and especially sex with Yamada, if it should ever come so far. He fails to get an erection when they finally try to have sex (in the manga, not in the anime).
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: He's a rather mediocre student. And although he gets better over time to match Yamada, his heart is beating for the photography club.
- Failures on Ice: When he goes ice skating with Yamada in the manga, he breaks his leg.
- False Start: Happens to Kosuda when he attempts to confess to Yamada after she gets off a train. Just as he's about to spit it out, the train doors close around his neck before he's whisked away.
- Floorboard Failure: He gets sucked in whole by the floor once in the manga when he screws up again with Yamada.
- From Bad to Worse: Almost everything goes wrong for him. He starts out as plain, ordinary guy but has his lowest moments yet to come. In the end however he gets some kind of happy ending, forming a relationship with Yamada and passing the final exam.
- The Generic Guy: Exploited. Yamada's goal is to have 100 sex friends but she is afraid to approach a guy with experience, so she turns to him, the most plain and unremarkable guy that she can find. Although people question this, she maintains that she just wants to use him for her first time and dump him afterwards. In the end, she has to admit that she loves him and they form an Official Couple.
- Giving Up the Ghost: Kosuda's soul (different from his sex god) is gently hanging out of his mouth as he reflects upon how he ended up seeing Yamada underneath her skirt when she wasn't wearing any panties earlier that day.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: They appear when he makes out in the park with Yamada but do not help him very much.
- Henohenomoheji: How Yamada imagines him after she landed on him in the book store. She says "she didn't look at the face".
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: As could have been expected of his loser personality, he fails to have an erection when they finally try to do it (this was changed to a broken leg in episode 12 of the anime).
- Matryoshka Object: When Yamada sees his photo album, she imagines him as matryoshka puppet, because his appearance has changed so little over the years.
- Morton's Fork: In episode 9 he has to give his vote in the popularity contest between Yamada and Kyouka. The problem is that he is the last to vote and it's a dead draw so everybody will know about his vote. He can only choose if Yamada or Kyouka will be pissed. He still takes kind of a third option and accidentally confesses his love.
- Nerds Are Virgins: Kosuda has a nerdy hobby (photography club) and doesn't have many social skills, so he comes handy as Yamada's "cherry boy".
- Nice Guy: He's very nice and polite but mostly because he can't say no to anybody and because he doesn't understand Yamada's feelings.
- The Nondescript: Yamada saw his face only as Henohenomoheji before she finally remembered him. His appearance is basically unchanged since he was young.
- Not a Date: In episode 10 he's dating Yamada but they both claim otherwise when Misato shows up.
- Oblivious to Love: He has no idea that Miyano loves him from early childhood on, although it's quite obvious (his sister and Takeshita see right through it). In the manga, Miyano ultimately confesses to him but he turns her down to be with Yamada.
- Pity Sex: Kosuda believes that Yamada just wants to have sex with him out of pity, because he's such a pathetic loser.
- Porn Stash: When Yamada first comes to his house, his sister shouts that he should hide his porn magazines. When Yamada hears this, she doesn't mind, as she believes it's normal for a boy to watch porn.
- Sex Slave: Yamada thinks that he is one although he barely fits this role.Yamada: Kosuda is just a sex slave.
- Speed Sex: When Yamada and Kosuda finally have their first time, it only lasts for some seconds. The second time lasts longer but still not very much.
- Third Wheel: He is this in episode 10 when he's technically dating Yamada but Keiichi gets in the way.
- This Loser Is You: The series' primary male character is about as pathetic as they come (see Epic Fail), which is regularly noted in-universe. The series assumes that the average male viewer is exactly the same loser as Kosuda.
- Title Drop: Kosuda wears a sweater in the manga that says "B-Type H-System". He also sings the theme song in episode 12, where the title appears.
- Unlucky Everydude: He is plain-looking, self-doubting, afraid of heights, has a hobby that is considered boring by most and does not have many friends. Whether meeting Yamada was good or bad for him is up for debate.
- Walking Disaster Area: On two occasions (when he wants to go on a date with Yamada), he's surrounded by catastrophe, like a granny, a clueless foreigner, a lonely boy and a pregnant woman all take his attention.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's afraid of heights. This makes his pool date in Episode 2 difficult.
Takeshita: I wouldn't answer even if I were present!
Takeshita is Yamada's best friend and is constantly freaked out by Yamada's never ending sex questions. Still she sees the good things in Yamada and wants her to admit her love for Kosuda. She also helps Yamada by inviting Kosuda on a double date and giving her advice. Unlike Yamada, she has a boyfriend and is not a virgin, but refuses to talk about the details.
- Acceptable Feminine Goals and Traits: She reminds Yamada of these. She believes a woman should pursue things like a loving relationship and her career, although she doesn't to be happy with both all the time either.
- Advice Backfire: Takeshita is the best source of advice that Yamada has. This comes with serious drawbacks for Takeshita, as Yamada asks her the most embarrassing things to the worst possible times and often misinterprets her advice in a perverted way.
- Beta Couple: Takeshita and her boyfriend Daisuke are this to Yamada and Kosuda.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Takeshita is the tsukkomi-part and constantly freaks out when Yamada asks sex-related questions at the worst possible times.
- Buxom Is Better: One of Takeshita's purposes in the plot sometimes seems to deconstruct this. See D-Cup Distress below.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: She is the one who keeps Yamada from going overboard but she can't be everywhere at all times.
- D-Cup Distress: While Yamada (and the other girls, to some extent) is always jealous of her, Takeshita has pointed out that: boys talk to her chest, she has back pains, her large breasts get in the way in PE class, she's constantly ogled and commented upon, people assume that she's stupid because she's busty, it's hard finding bras that fit and during the summer she gets painful underboob rashes from all the sweat that gathers there.
- Deadpan Snarker: Takeshita's defining character trait is to have the sarcastic last word to Yamada's sex-crazy comments. Comes also with a Disapproving Look. On one point in the manga, she refuses to talk to Yamada until she matures.Takeshita: I'm curious. How are you going to compete with her [Kyouka]?
Yamada: The number of sex partners?
Takeshita: I don't think you'll win.
- Disapproving Look: She hands them out a lot when Yamada makes her usual remarks.
- Dope Slap: She often hits Yamada over the head when Yamada goes overboard. Usually comes with Cranial Eruption.
- Emotion Suppression: She has a suppressed wild side in her that is represented by her other eros deity (she has two). Also she can't admit until very late in the manga that she's jealous because of her boyfriend and misses him very much.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Takeshita has them too. To make it more confusing she has two eros deities (in the manga) which are different from her angels.
- Imagine Spotting: Takeshita does this when they make the school trip to Kyoto.Takeshita: You are such a perv! Seriously, this entire bathhouse fantasy has been ALL YOU!
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Takeshita has two:
- While never happening onscreen, we learn in Kyoto that Takeshita has told Yamada about her first time. Given Yamada's reaction to everything Takeshita is telling about her boyfriend, we can imagine Takeshita'a retelling was quite an intense moment for both.
- In the very end of the manga, directly after Yamada has had her first sex, Takeshita gives a lecture over many hours about love and sex. Not that the audience would hear it too.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Takeshita gets two:
- At one point she shouts "why don't they [Yamada and Kosuda] just fuck already?". Her boyfriend is completely in shock.
- Very late in the manga she and her boyfriend go on a double date with Yamada and Kosuda. She breaks out in tears because of frustration and jealousy with her boyfriend. She even lampshades this in her dialog.
- Shipper on Deck: Takeshita wants Kosuda and Yamada become a couple over the course of the manga but at one point believes that Kosuda would be better off with Miyano.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: She is very deadpan when it comes to Yamada, but (in the manga) we learn that she's sexually frustrated and misses his boyfriend very much).
- Virgin Vision: In the very end of the manga, after Yamada has had her first time, Takeshita sees right through it before Yamada has to say anything.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: To Yamada. Although Yamada constantly freaks her out and has no useful advice for her, Takeshita gives her many lectures about love and is the only person Yamada can ask about anything. So you can call them best friends after all.Takeshita: Every person has his strong points! Kanejou [Kyouka] is elegant and modest. Miyano is good and cooking, mild-mannered and very womanly.
Yamada: [excited] What about meee?
Takeshita: You certainly have your strong points. You should try to attract Kosuda with them.
Miyano is Kosuda's childhood friend and just lives across the street. She is secretly in love with him but is much too afraid to tell him that. She's also very clumsy and has very low self-esteem.She loves cooking and baking and does both for Kosuda's pleasure. Yamada sees her as a threat from the start.
- Achievements in Ignorance: She somehow manages to get lost in Kanejou's "brother room" although it's protected with passcodes and several armored doors because she does not know that this is impossible.
- Apologises a Lot: She says "sorry" every time she falls over and even apologizes when she notices that Kosuda is staring at her boobs.
- Blind Without 'Em: Can be seen when she loses her glasses after Yamada runs into her.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She falls over all the time, but she's somewhat aware about how it's a weakness.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: In contrast to Yamada, her cooking and baking skills are almost world-class and she wants to get closer to Kosuda Through His Stomach. Takeshita visits her on one point to learn from her.
- Genius Ditz: While she's usually clueless about almost everything, she is extremely competent at cooking at baking.
- Girl Next Door: She lives near Kosuda's house and appears to be a very average, non-intimidating girl.
- Horrible Judge of Character: She thinks that Yamada couldn't be sweeter, that Kanejou is very nice and that Kosuda is very manly, all of these are completely inaccurate.
- Housewife: Everything in the story suggests that she will become in the future, with or without Kosuda.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She wants Kosuda to be happy at all cost, even if that means she won't be able to be his wife in the future. She even gives Kosuda love advice about Yamada and wishes the best for him on new year's eve. Her eros deity constantly wants her to come together with him.
- Indirect Kiss: Invoked by her sex goddess, who tells her to kiss the biscuits before giving them to Kosuda.
- Instant Bandages: Whenever she hits her head she instantly has an X-shaped bandage.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses and is Blind Without 'Em.
- Nice Girl: She is very nice and polite to everyone.
- No Sense of Direction: She gets lost very easily. Exaggerated in episode 11, when she accidentally wanders into Kanejou's "brother room", which is guarded by several heavily armored doors and passcodes.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: She has been in love with Kosuda since her childhood and is willing to wait for him indefinitely.
- Shrinking Violet: She is extremely shy and blushes very easily. In the manga, Kanejou Kyouka of all people convinces her to confess to Kosuda, which she does, but without success.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She only loves Kosuda to the exclusion of everybody else.
- Through His Stomach: Miyano's plan to woo Kosuda is to feed him awesome food until he falls in love with her. Hasn't really been working for the last decade, but that's partly because everyone thinks she's cooking for his family, not him specifically. She also sometimes imagines that Kosuda will ignore her when he finds better food somewhere else (for example in Kyoto).
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Kosuda, to the point that even Yamada, her rival, pities her.
Kanejou Kyouka is a returning transfer student from America who joins Yamada's class in their second year. She is extremely wealthy, lives in a huge house and is very competent at modeling, cooking and sports. She soon becomes Yamada's rival for being the most popular girl in school. However, she has an excessive complex over her brother Keiichi. She even plans to give him his first time.
- Absurdly Long Limousine: Her limousine is incredibly long and luxurious.
- The Ace: She is exceptionally good in everything she does, like English, modeling, swimming and cooking to the point where she becomes a huge threat to Yamada.
- Alpha Bitch: She wants to be the number one in Takizawa High School and becomes instant enemies with Yamada. She also expects every man to immediately fall for her when she talk to him, especially Kosuda.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: She is super rich and heavily looks down on all commoners. She becomes instant-enemies with Yamada.
- Battle Aura: Together with Yamada when she tries to seduce Kosuda.
- Big Brother Attraction: Kyouka is admittedly in love with her brother, wants him to take her virginity, and even has a Stalker Shrine devoted to him. He's oblivious. Eventually, when she gets a better understanding of what sex entails, she decides she never wants her brother to do something so dirty, and gives up on him.
- Big Brother Worship: Whenever someone talks about her brother she gushes.Kanejou Kyouka: That's correct! My brother has always been a genius!
- Big Fancy House: Her house is absolutely huge and does more resemble a Disney Princess Castle. She also has many maids.
- Bishie Sparkle: She is always surrounded by 2-5 sparkling stars to represent her wealth, especially in the anime.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She pretends to be nice and soft-spoken, but she's actually rather selfish and mean spirited. She can't get over Yamada winning the beauty contest and seeks for revenge.
- BrotherSister Incest: Her obsession for her brother goes so far that she wants to lose her virginity to her brother, the only person who believes to be worth of it. It never happens as she gives up on him in the end.
- Control Freak: She has cameras installed everywhere in her house (behind huge portraits of herself).
- Early-Bird Cameo: Kyouka appears on the cover of Kosuda's magazine in the first episode, before being introduced in the third. In fact, this is a minor plot point because Kosuda recognizes her, and it serves as a clue that there's much more to Kyouka than just her looks.
- It's All About Me: Kyouka's mansion is decorated with numerous portraits of herself. The eyes of which are all functioning video.
- The Men in Black: Her personal bodyguards look exactly like the stereotypical men in black and usually show up when Kyouka goes around with her Absurdly Long Limousine. She tells us that she used them to eliminate all women that tried to get near his brother, in one way or another.
- New Transfer Student: She's a returning transfer student from America who joins Yamada's class in their second year. She learned a lot of stuff there.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Her default mode of laughing. No surprise as she is a noblewoman.
- Ojou: She is super-wealthy, has many servants and maids and values the honor of her family over everything. She has the manners of a Proper Lady and has a Noblewoman's Laugh.
- Ojou Ringlets: She has them at times, fitting her personality.
- Pimped-Out Dress: She always wears one when she's not wearing her school uniform. It looks like a Disney princess'.
- Pride: Her main weakness is that she wants to be the Alpha Bitch and any costs and can't handle it whenever her family's honor is at stake.
- Proper Lady: She has all the mannerisms of a rich and wealthy person, but she can't hide her hate for Yamada at all times.
- Rich Bitch: The Kanejou family is extremely rich, but Kyouka is also very arrogant, haughty and vengeful.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Strangely enough to her brother, but she tries to seduce Kosuda too (only to harm Yamada).
- Sore Loser: She can't take it very well that she loses the beauty contest against Yamada and wants to take revenge.
- Stalker Shrine: She has one for her brother with lots of merchandise of him.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has magenta hair.
Takizawa High School - Supporting
Although she looks much younger, she attends Yamada's class. She seems to follow Yamada's footsteps in sex-craziness and immediately falls in love withe Keiichi when he returns to Japan, but her affection is very one-sided. In the end of the manga he gets to know Kawai Mizuki.
- A-Cup Angst: She hates herself for being flat-chested and overly child-looking, but not so much as Yamada.
- Abhorrent Admirer: She is this towards Keiichi. She won't let go off him and even wants to marry him.
- Brutal Honesty: She always says what she thinks no matter what, like bluntly calling Kosuda a loser. Akimoto and Kudou are well aware of her honesty and believe that she will call them failures in bed too.
- Comically Missing the Point: On one occasion, she learns that girls with no panties have more ero power. So she runs around naked all day in her room until she catches a cold.
- Genki Girl: She's very energetic, especially around Keiichi and waves about her arms around a lot. She is very childish too.
- The Glomp: She sticks onto Keiichi like chewing gum from the moment she sees him.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: She is very much obsessed with sex and erotic magazines and wants to prove her femininity to Keiichi (but fails).
- Letting Her Hair Down: She does this very late in the manga to impress Kawai Mizuki.
- Love at First Sight: She immediately wants to marry Keiichi when she first sees him and fills out a marriage registration. She also immediately falls for Kawai Mizuki in the second she meets him.
- Odango Hair: Her standard appearance, although she changes later for some time.
- Older Than They Look: She looks like a child but is still 15-16 years old.
- Saw It in a Movie Once: Yamada's ideas of running around without panties and taking Kosuda to the alleged "secret room" in the Kanejou mansion come from Misato who claims that she learned these tricks from girl's magazines and mangas.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She's completely crazy for Keiichi who doesn't share her feelings.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: She has a lot in common with Yamada. She's also very much obsessed with boys and sex, but since she still looks like a child, she can't find a partner.Yamada: We are really similar.
- Those Two Guys: She and Katase mostly appear together but are not as plot-critical as the main characters.
- Took A Level In Cynicism: She becomes a complete cynic when Keiichi turns her down but returns back to normal when she meets Kawai Mizuki.
She's Misato's friend and watches over her. She had a boyfriend before but he cheated on her and so she hates men for that.
- An Aesop: The moral of her story arc: don't hate/distrust all boys even if one cheated on you. Evidenced by the ending where she becomes Kudou's girlfriend.
- Deadpan Snarker: She is this to Misato whenever the latter says anything about boys. On one point, she asks Takeshita how she can play the snarker role all the time with Yamada.Katase: Just come over to my place and watch some movies.
Misato: No way! I'll feel like a total loser!
Katase: But you've always been one.
- Does Not Like Men: Her ex boyfriend cheated on her and now she hates men as a whole. This is much more elaborated on in the manga than in the anime. She gets better eventually and becomes Kudou's girlfriend.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Invoked. She threatens to break off with Kudou immediately after becoming his girlfriend if he dares to tell anyone.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: She is very sarcastic and cynical and has an almost pathological hatred for men, but she truly is very sad about being cheated on and wishes for a good boyfriend.
- Straw Feminist: She has her moments of the straw feminist type, when she claims that boys only are out for girl's bodies and women should become independent from men.
- Those Two Girls: She and Misato mostly appear together but are not as plot-critical as the main characters.
- Tsundere: She is type A (harsh). Her sweet side is deeply buried under a pile of misandry, cynicism and snarking. Kudou will not give up to find her sweet side.
Akai Sensei is Yamada's homeroom and P.E. teacher. Although caring for their students, she has a habit of selecting Yamada and Kosuda together for whatever school event. She is very bitter as she's not married.
- The Alcoholic: In the manga, when Yamada first comes to her house, we learn that she drinks a lot to drown her sorrows over being alone. Doubles up with Lady Drunk and Drowning My Sorrows.
- Christmas Cake: She is about 25 but still single. She once had a boyfriend, but the relationship failed after he couldn't get an erection when they wanted to have sex, so she is still a virgin.
- Cool Teacher: Although she's bitter about being single, she deeply cares for her students and does not want them to make the same mistakes as her. She has also some traits of a Stern Teacher that come out whenever something deals with sports.
- Passionate Sports Girl: She was this in her youth and still does a lot of sports like jogging. This does not really come to her advantage, because she trained so much she missed out a lot on life.
- Sensei-chan: She is not much older than her students, is good-looking and on friendly terms with her students. The story implies that she didn't really mature very much since high school because of her work. In the manga both she and Yamada had a boyfriend who couldn't get erection when the first time should have happened. While Yamada can fix this problem eventually, Akai has remained a virgin until today.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: She reacts very heavily when her students do something sex-related but she's deep down very sad that she's still single and her first relationship was such a failure.
Kosuda's closest friend in class. A typical perverted teenager who regularly offers Kosuda advice, almost none of which is helpful.
- Audience Surrogate: Just like Kosuda he represents the average male viewer, albeit another facet of him: He is better looking and more athletic, but rather incompetent in school, lazy, socially awkward and primarily thinking about sex and unaware of girls' feelings. This is even more elaborated on in the manga, where he borders into This Loser Is You territory.
- Book Dumb: He sucks at school and fails the final exam but is otherwise not a ditzy character.
- Bromantic Foil: He'd be a completely standard one to Kosuda were Kosuda the actual the protagonist instead of Yamada. He's his more outgoing, impulsive and openly-perverted best friend who frequently provides him with advice of dubious quality and expresses jealousy over Kosuda's inexplicable success with women.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: His thoughts revolve around girls most of the time and he makes mostly sex-related comments when with his friends, although he's rather clueless about how to get near them and they're repulsed by him.
- With Friends Like These...: He is the closest thing that Kosuda has to a "friend" in his class, but he still mostly stays with his clique and also believes that Kosuda is a loser a treats him rather bad, just like everybody else. A good example is the popularity vote in episode 9 that is heavily fixed against Kosuda.
She is Yamada's little sister. She is very popular and brings a lot of guys home and gets many presents from them, very much to the dismay of Yamada. She joins Takizawa High School in Yamada's third year.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Chika often disturbs Yamada, especially when Yamada is "doing H-stuff alone". Yamada is also afraid that Chika will be a huge Moment Killer, when she has Kosuda in her room.
- Children Are Innocent: While Chika knows about Yamadas pervertedness, she still acts like this trope. When Yamada asks her for sex advice, she says she has no knowledge whatsoever.
- Dude Magnet: Almost every boy who sees her instantly seems to fall in love with her. Yamada is filled with envy but she Chika can't give her any advice.
- Fille Fatale: Although she's a child she knows how to make boys like her.
- Fridge Brilliance: In-Universe, the editor speculates in a footnote that Chika looks exactly like her sex goddess because she is a sex goddess herself.
- Inexplicably Awesome: She brings home TONS of guys who fall for her and make her presents. How she does this is never explained, especially as she still looks and feels like a child.
- Token Mini-Moe: She is the most child-like character in the cast besides Misato. Unlike with Misato (which is ignored by the guys because of her childlike appearance), every guy falls in love with her because she's so damn cute.
- Youngest Child Wins: She's the youngest child in Yamada's family and attracts boys and success magically, very much to the frustration of Yamada.
One of Kosuda's classmates and one of Akimoto's friends, although he's rather shy. He is in love with Katase who hates men.
- Determinator: He will never give up to make Katase his girlfriend, not matter what happens. He succeeds in the end.
- Eyes Always Shut: He never seems to open his eyes. Only when he is crying his eyes seem to be open for a second or two but it's hard to tell.
- Nice Guy: He's rather friendly and caring and wants to convince Katase that men are not so bad after all. In the end, he succeeds and they become a couple.
One of Yamada's classmates and a very beautiful girl that resembles her.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: She is blonde in the manga and has brown/greyish hair in the anime.
- Adaptational Ugliness: Downplayed, she is very beautiful in the manga and rather average in the anime.
- Demoted to Extra: She only appears very brief in the anime but has some appearances in the manga.
- Icy Blue Eyes: She appears to have these in the manga. Her eyes are a very distinct feature of her and look like ice crystals.
- Nice Girl: She is very beautiful, polite and a good friend to everybody. If she didn't have occasional moments of sadness and confusion she would be a Perpetual Smiler.
Another one of Yamada's classmates although she is rather cynical and desperately looks for a boyfriend.
- Accentuate the Negative: She desperately looks for a boyfriend but her standards are so high that no guy can fulfill them. The only guy who is good enough for her is Keiichi, but when Kobayashi learns that he's after Yamada, she complains even more.
- Boyish Short Hair: She has very boyish hair but is not a Tomboy otherwise.
- Demoted to Extra: Just like Sakai, she only appears very brief in the anime but has her moments in the manga.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: She is quite cynical after not being able to find a boyfriend for a very long time
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: At one point in the manga it looks as if she and Akimoto could become a pair but it leads nowhere.
She is Yamada's and Kosuda's housekeeping teacher and Akai's friend.
- Apathetic Teacher: She seems to be benevolent but appears to have Seen It All already, so she doesn't take much notice of what's happening around her.
- Christmas Cake: She's 27 and still single, but other than Akai, she doesn't mind in the slightest.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost all of her dialog consists of snarky comments towards Akai.
- Dull Surprise: She doesn't change her facial expression, not even when Akai and Yamada talk about sex or when Akai gets drunk many times.
- Oral Fixation: She always has something in her mouth, either a cigarette or a drinking straw.
- Perpetual Expression: She never changes her rather bored facial expression.
- The Stoic: She shows very little emotion, no matter what people around her are talking about.
The Eros Deities
They are deities who watch over the characters and try to bring their sexual desires to fulfillment. Each character has (at least) one, although there are also people who don't have them. Yamada's and Kosuda's are the ones the audience mostly sees in the anime (see their respective folders), but in the manga we see many others:
- Miyano's looks like a fairy or a Magical Girl, and gives very innocent advice ("If you kiss the cookies before he eats them, it'll be like an indirect kiss!") She mostly appears when Miyano supports Kosuda's love for Yamada.
- Kyouka's is a stereotypical European noblewoman, complete with a fan and a Pimped-Out Dress.
- Akai-sensei's is a high school girl wearing a Sailor Fuku, reason being that she never got a chance to mature since Akai was always busy with work.
- Kazuki's has longer hair, wears a Chinese shirt, and is very popular with other female eros deities.
- Katase's is a lonely, mature, incredibly beautiful and mysterious woman and by far the most beautiful of the eros deities. She firmly believes that Katase wants a boyfriend despite her obvious hatred of men.
- Chika's eros deity is identical to her in every way.
- Mori-sensei's smokes and wears clothes that would fit a gas station attendant.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: They usually are a representation of their person's personality or a suppressed version of it, like Takeshita's or Akai's.
- Divine Ranks: The can rank up or rank down depending on how much sex their respective host has.
- Dream People: They often appear in dreams. Yamada cannot see or hear hers initially until she tells her in a dream that Yamada's ero power is decreasing and that she has to make a move on Kosuda. Takeshita also confirms that she has seen hers in her dreams.
- Fluffy Cloud Heaven: Their realm almost completely consists of fluffy clouds.
- Flying on a Cloud: They do this most of the time, although not always. Yamada's flies on a pink one.
- Ghost in the Machine: Although they are usually external manifestations, they appear to be internal manifestions and the true self (or a suppressed version of it) of the characters too.
- Guardian Entity: Their main purpose is to be competent guides for their hosts' sex lives.
- Invisible to Normals: They usually can't be seen or heard by everyone unless they want to be seen (although Kosuda's at one point fails to be noticed). They appear in dreams for the most time but the characters seem to feel their presence or feel their feelings on occasions.
- Love Goddess: They are all deities to watch over sexual desires. Kosuda's is male however.
- Our Gods Are Different: They are gods who watch over the sex lives and choose (typically) one person. They live in their Fluffy Cloud Heaven where they meet up from time to time and every god has a certain standing among the others (depending on how much sex their respective host has) although there doesn't seem to be a highest god of some sort. They are definitely not omnipotent but just restricted to giving more or less useful advice. It's not clear whether they are immortal but there's no indication they're not. They know everything about their host and seem to know a lot about other people but they don't seem to be omniscient. They can change appearance but usually choose not to as they usually are a representation of their person's (suppressed) personality in some way. They are only visible when they want to be seen and it's not quite clear what needs they have (other than a sexually successful person to guide), but they're seen to be sleeping and eating. They still have human feelings like joy, disappointment or fear and their morality is Sex Is Good, although each god has his own approach on that.
- Sex Is Good: All of them want their character's sexual wishes to be fulfilled to get a higher rank in heaven. They genuinely believe that having sex is good and increasing ero power is important. Yamada's sex goddess invokes this trope the most, as she genuinely want Yamada to have sex and does not want to stop her from her goals (although she believes that Yamada has to mature). Kosuda's invokes it the least as he's completely incompetent but he starts laughing whenever he's summoned.
Yamada's God of Sex: I'm a God of Sex, it's all good.
Yamada's god of sex (Yamada no ero-gami) appears to be an older and rather deformed version of Yamada with a mustache. Her role in the anime is much bigger and she takes the part of the narrator too. She seems to care about Yamada a lot and while Yamada is skeptical about her at first, she accepts her as her guide after she appeared in Yamada's dream.
- Ascended Extra: Her role in the anime is much larger than in the manga. Unlike in the manga, she appears from the very beginning, takes the role of a narrator, has lots of dialog and flies around most of the time.
- Being God Is Hard: Closely related to the next entry, she has a very hard time with Yamada. Even the other gods pity her.
- Being Good Sucks: She genuinely wants to bring Yamada's dreams to fulfillment but struggles very much and fears about her reputation in heaven.
- Determinator: She is not willing to give up until Yamada loses her virginity. This means a lot of punishment.
- Ethical Slut: She strongly believes Sex Is Good and wants Yamada to do it and eventually turn her into this trope. Whenever Yamada gets a step closer to it, she is genuinely happy and believes that Yamada has developed further. She wants Yamada to mature still and is quite frustrated that Yamada is such a difficult case.
- Girls with Moustaches: She has a white mustache and a pink kimono. Yamada imagines once that Takeshita's also should have a mustache (they don't).
- Heroic BSoD: Yamada's Eros Deity goes white with shock and is insensate for about a week when Yamada and Kosuda fail to reached penetrative sex despite being naked in a love hotel.
- Ms Exposition: She explains a lot of the plot to the audience in the first episodes of the anime.
- To Be a Master: After Yamada had her first time with Kosuda she tells Yamada that the real conquest to become a champion has only just started.Yamada's God of Sex: The real battle is only starting! Aren't you going to become a sex master?
Kosuda's God of Sex: Only to masturbate and go to bed.
Kosuda's god of sex (Kosuda no ero-gami) wears a bathrobe and is very lazy and unhelpful, and mostly just appears when Kosuda gets an erection and crackles a laugh.
- The Gods Must Be Idiots: His incompetence as mentor shows everywhere. He fails to be seen at one point, has no useful advice and usually only wastes Kosuda's time, who has to figure out everything for himself.
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: He is completely useless and never gives out any useful advice. Kosuda even complains about this once in the manga. However, Kosuda's sex god still seems to be benevolent.
- Heavy Sleeper: He sleeps a lot on his cloud and only wakes up when he feels like it.
- Incredibly Inconvenient Deity: He appears at the worst possible times and mostly just wastes Kosuda's time.Kosuda: I hate this ghost.
- Joke and Receive: One one point when Kosuda asks him for advice in regards of Yamada, he says "push her down and say let me fuck you". He doesn't seem to know that this might indeed be a successful strategy with Yamada. Kosuda still freaks out.
- Lazy Bum: His laziness is beyond comparison. He is usually tired, lies around, reads magazines, and does not give useful advice.
- Pajama-Clad Hero: He is never seen without his bathrobe.
- Signature Laugh: Whenever Kosuda gets an erection he starts laughing, much to Kosuda's embarrassment.
- Something Else Also Rises: Whenever Kosuda gets an erection, he appears as a stand-in (pun intended) for his penis.
Uniquely, Takeshita has two of them: One ("ero minus") is dressed as a businesswoman and takes relationships very seriously, giving the sort of advice that Takeshita gives to Yamada. The other one ("ero plus"), however, is a complete maneater and represents a rather suppressed trait of Takeshita's personality. They are fighting most of the time.
- Acceptable Feminine Goals and Traits: Ero minus keeps lecturing about these. She believes that responsibility and love are the foundations of sex and there is no need in rushing.
- Adapted Out: They never appear in the anime but on some occasions in the manga.
- Divine Conflict: They are conflicting constantly. Ero minus gives out lectures about how love is the foundation of sex while ero plus wants Takeshita to play with her sexuality as much as possible. It seems that ero plus is winning.
- Ethical Slut: Ero plus wants to turn Takeshita into a complete maneater and is very glad that Takeshita is not a virgin anymore.
- Foil: They both highlight each other's character traits (responsible and super-hot) by contrast.
- Heroic BSoD: Ero minus goes through a heavy one when she says that she has time with Takeshita's "mission" (to have sex) and ero plus showing her the reality (Takeshita already doing it wildly).
- Hot God: Ero plus is very sexy with a revealing dress.
- Lady in a Power Suit: Ero minus wears a business suit, sometimes a black tie and glasses and also seems to hold some kind of files under her arm.
- Let's Wait a While: Ero minus strongly believes this is the best for Takeshita, although it seems that traits of But I Would Really Enjoy It come into play too.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ero plus wears a revealing dress and wants Takeshita to do the same.
- Ready for Lovemaking: Ero plus always assumes a very seductive pose as if she could get it on every second.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ero plus is red oni (passionate and wild), ero minus in blue oni (level-headed and collected).
Yamada's God of Love: This is love.
As a complete surprise to everyone (even to Yamada's sex goddess), Yamada is the only character in the manga with a god of love. Probably she was hiding very well. She doesn't appear until chapter 296 in the manga and only in one panel. She looks like an angelic version of Yamada with around 20.
- Angelic Beauty: She looks like an angel, with wings, a gloriole, a white dress and a stick with a heart. Also she smiles in contrast to Yamada's sex goddess.
- Holy Halo: She comes with the "golden ring" variant.
- Last Episode, New Character: She does not make an appearance until chapter 296 (out of 300) in the manga.
- Schrödinger's Gun: Although Yamada is victim to What Is This Thing You Call "Love"? and only the eros deities are shown in heaven, it's never explicitly stated that Yamada does not have a god of love. Even Yamada's sex goddess is taken by surprise.Yamada's God of Sex: [looks surprised] Have you always been there?
- Shout-Out: She has a stick with a heart (which is probably a magic wand), just like the Queen of Hearts in the Disney adaption of Alice in Wonderland.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She only appears once but obviously has lots of influence on Yamada's later love life.
- Spear Carrier: She shows up just before the end of the manga, says only one sentence ("This is love") and is never ever seen again.
- Walking Spoiler: It's completely impossible to talk about her at all without spoilering that a) love deities exist too and b) Yamada (of all people) has one.
He is Kyouka's brother and primary target of her sexuality. He's a student at Harvard Business School and is very popular and handsome, to a degree that all women immediately fall in love with him. When he returns to Japan to visit his sister, he wants Yamada to become his girlfriend, to his sisters dismay. Misato has huge interest in him.
- The Ace: He is super good at everything he does. He goes to the best university and has a huge career in his later life. Everybody admires him besides Yamada.
- Anime Hair: He has the most anime-like hair of all characters and an unnatural hair color.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Kosuda believes he isn't on Keiichi's level which is illustrated by comparing both of their cameras next to each other (Keiichi's is much bigger). Later in the manga Kosuda dares to take a look at the toilet and seems to be quite impressed.
- Bishie Sparkle: Just like his sister to underline his handsomeness, he's always surrounded by it.
- Bishōnen: Much, much better-looking than the vast majority of the male cast and is seen as extremely handsome in-universe.
- Chick Magnet: Keiichi is super-handsome and women are constantly throwing themselves at him. He could very well be The Casanova but he chooses not to partially because he's in no rush to have sex, if he can get it anytime he wants and even surprises everyone when he says that he's still a virgin. He falls for Yamada because she's disinterested.
- Establishing Character Moment: In episode 9 he arrives by plane and all the stewardesses are immediately in love with him. Even some kind of princess wants to marry him right away. When he tells her his name and kisses her hand, she gets a breakdown and X-Ray Sparks appear.
- I Kiss Your Hand: He kisses the hand of a (vaguely defined) "princess" on the airport and she almost gets a heart attack out of joy. However when he tries to do the same with Yamada, she turns him down.
- Interclass Friendship: He seems to form one with Akai-Sensei by the end of the manga. When he becomes teacher of Yamada's class for a while, he realizes that he has to get more involved with commoners and starts with Akai, who orders him to get drunk with her.
- No Challenge Equals No Satisfaction: Although many women love him he's not very much interested in them because they are too easy to have. Yamada is the first girl to not instantly fall for him so he goes for her.
- Unexpected Virgin: When he confesses to Yamada while she's on a date with Kosuda, she turns him down because she believes that he's not a virgin. To Yamada's and everybody else's surprise, he admits that he is indeed a virgin, mainly because he could have it every day and this turns him off.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has magenta hair, just like his sister.
Kazuki is Kosuda's big sister. She's a college student still living with his brother and more out-going than him. She helps him with planning his dates.
- Biker Babe: She wears a biker outfit very often, when she's outside.
- Bokukko: She refers to herself with male Japanese pronouns.
- Cool Big Sis: She is very happy when Kosuda brings Yamada to his home and goes away for two hours. She also gives him dating plans and even sex tips, although she's upset at first when he asks her for it.
- One of the Boys: She was already very tomboyish and Miyano's "prince" when she was younger and for some reason the reason why Miyao fell in love with Kosuda.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Both in-universe and out of it. She runs around naked very often in the house, much to Kosuda's anger.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She is much more self-confident and outgoing than Kosuda.
- Tomboy: Kazuki has rather boyish hair and was One of the Boys in her childhood. This is the reason why Mayu fell in love with her in the first place.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Miyano's "prince" turned out to be Tomboy Kazuki years ago.
- You Just Told Me: She does this to get all the latest news from Kosuda. After Kosuda's date with Yamada, he refuses to talk about it, she asks if they went all they way and he says it was just a kiss. He falls for this trick more than once.Kosuda: No one would tell that to his sister.
Kazuki: [agitated] No way, did you go until the end?!
Kosuda: It was just a kiss... AH!
She is Kanejou Kyouka's private maid and wants her to give up on her brother.
- Hidden Depths: She is first shocked by Kanejou's try to seduce Kosuda, but afterwards comes up with a foolproof hint for Kanejou's plan. We never learn what it is, because Kosuda has already left.
- Satellite Character: Her whole character exists around Kanejou and she never interacts with anybody else.
- Scullery Maid: She's Kyouka's private maid and believes that Kyouka is a proper lady, at first at least.
Matsuo is Takeshita's boyfriend but she misses him very much, as he goes to the nearby college.
- The Ace: Not nearly as exaggerated as Keiichi, but he's an attractive, intelligent and successful guy in a happy and committed relationship. Yamada is clearly envious of Takeshita for having a boyfriend as good as him early on.
- Beta Couple: He and Takeshita form one to Kosuda and Yamada.
- Big Brother Mentor: Provides relationship advice to Kosuda.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Takeshita complains that Matsuo is not the greatest sex magician in the world and she is sexually frustrated with him.
- Nice Guy: Probably his most defining qualities since he is one of the nicest characters to Kosuda.
- Teen Genius: He's super intelligent and also very polite. To the point that Takeshita gets jealous. Although they do not meet very often, he gives a lot advice to Kosuda.
She's never seen in the anime and only on brief occasions in the mange.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: She looks like 20 at best and resembles Yamada a lot.
- Adapted Out: She has a small role in the manga and never appears in the anime.
- Adults Are Useless: While she seems to be mildly aware of Yamada's sex craziness, she doesn't mind. Whether this is Parental Obliviousness or she's an Open-Minded Parent is not fully clear.
- Invisible Parents: She is always in the anime.
- Motherly Side Plait: Can be seen again and again in the manga.
He's a very feminine boy who does not appear until very late in the manga. He shows up at one of Akimoto's parties, where Misato immediately falls for him.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He looks very feminine and gets mistaken for a girl all the time.
- Genre Refugee: He has every trait that can be expected from a male character from the Otokonoko Genre but still ended up in this story.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: He likes girly things like hair ribbons but still identifies as a man.
- Man in a Bikini: When Misato goes to the pool with him, she's a bit uneasy about his swimming suit but gets over it.
- Nice Guy: His other defining character trait is to be very kind and polite.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He shows up in the very end in a dress and with a hair ribbon and asks Misato if she will still accept him this way. She does.