Click to go back to the character index.
Gender Flip Versions
- Gendered Outfit: Often, the Nyotalia characters will wear a costume adapted from the canon counterpart, resulting in things like Prussia's miniskirt and Seychelle's swim trunks.
- Rule 63: A canonical example, no less!
open/close all folders
Falling asleep is quite human, there is nothing wrong about it, right?
Voiced by: Rena Maeda (JP), Brina Palencia (EN)
- Badass Adorable: Complimented by Estonia.
- Cute Bruiser: She seems to like to punch the people who are the target of her anger, and unlike her male counterpart, is said to display great physical strength when she becomes emotional.
- Idiot Hair: Used to be depicted with a curl on the left and now it's on the right
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With fem!Romano, especially in Fanon.
- Super Strength: Happens whenever she gets angry or emotional.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pizza!
Voiced by: Rika Zaiki (JP), Terri Doty (EN)
- Bare Your Midriff: Her P2 version.
- Big Little Sister: Judging from the height and size difference between her and fem!Prussia.
- Boobs of Steel: Word of God says that she has a large chest and he also implies she's just as capable of holding her own in a fight like her male counterpart.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her P2 version.
- Iron Lady: Some fans portray her this way in comparison to her country's first female chancellor, Angela Merkel.
- Scars Are Forever: Having notable ones on the cheek and midriff of her P2 version.
- Tomboy: She's certainly got the looks of one and is portrayed as an Action Girl in Fanon.
Lets just calmly go somewhere safe without aiming the bat at anybody.
Voiced by: Mai Goto (JP), Alexis Tipton (EN)
- A-Cup Angst: She appears to be rather flat-chested compared to many other nations on this page, and many fanworks have her being self-conscious about her lack of assets compared to other female nations'.
- Blade on a Stick: Her P2 version shows her wielding a naginata.
- Expository Hairstyle Change/Important Haircut: Word of God says that Japan used to have much longer hair until she cut it when she opened up her borders. She wanted to prove she'll be able to try to get along with the rest of the world.
- Flower in Her Hair: She's drawn with a chrysanthemum or sakura flower◊ in her hair in later sketches. A sketch of an "Another Color Version◊" of her further adds to the Flower Motifs by giving her a red spider lily aka higanbana, a third flower that has a special significance to the Japanese.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Himaruya's early character notes described her as having a "complicated yearning for America".
- Shrinking Violet: According to Himaruya.
- Tareme Eyes: Himaruya designed her with these kind of eyes as a contrast to her male counterpart's Monochromatic Eyes.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: According to Word of God, she was described as one in his early character notes on the Gender Flip versions.
You have quite the nerve! To fall asleep during my speech!
Voiced by: Ryoko Shintani (JP), Luci Christian (EN)
- Action Girl: Judging by her bat and her stance she's ready to take you on.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her 2P design.
- Batter Up!: Often depicted with a baseball bat.
- In her P2, she has a bat studded with nails.
- Brains and Brawn: Is usually portrayed as the Brawn to fem!Canada's Brains.
- Farmer's Daughter: Dresses like one in two sketches.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: The most notable difference between her and America is that she doesn't wear glasses.
- Gray Eyes: Of the 3rd and possibly 5th variety.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her P2 version.
- Hair Decorations: Star shaped hairclips.
- Heroic Wannabe: Especially in Fanon.
- Passionate Sports Girl: In Fanon.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With fem!Canada, especially in fanon.
- Tomboy: Gives off that vibe despite her girly clothing.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Fem!England's Girly Girl.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Seems to prefer hot dogs to hamburgers.
Stop it, Ameriko. You dont solve problems with beating someone.
Voiced by: Yūko Kurose (JP), Monica Rial (EN)
- Apron Matron: Occupation, broom, and all.
- Cute Witch: In Fanon. They often have her using her broom for flying, too, and the anime does so as well.◊
- Deadpan Snarker: Fandom seems to like to portray her as this, and it's very often her main personality trait, right next to being a Tsundere.
- Evil Redhead: Her P2 is portrayed as this by most of the fans thinking of her as Fem!England's Evil Counterpart. Despite how the P2 looks quite less frowny and more serene than the original.
- Hospital Hottie: One chibi design shows her wearing a World War II nurse outfit with a Nice Hat.
- The Ojou: Seems to be portrayed as this pretty often, thanks to some notes by Himaruya.
- Pirate: In lots and lots of fanart, similarly to her male counterpart. Although she tends to be portrayed as a much more feminine one.
- Rapunzel Hair: A lot of fanart has her sporting this, especially when Letting Her Hair Down. Himaruya apparently noted that Fem!England has the longest hair of the Nyotalias.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: With fem!France in Fanon, mirroring the rivalry between England and France.
- However, much fans portray their relationship as being less violent (and more passive-aggressive) than their male counterparts'. Some people even think that they get along pretty well.
- Team Mom: Her scolding of America seems to have shades of this.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Fem!America's Tomboy.
- Tsundere: Portrayed as a type B in some of Himaruya's sketches and mostly in fanon.
- She tends to switch between Type A and Type B a lot, though, especially in fanworks
Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (JP), Stephanie Young (EN)
- Absolute Cleavage: Her P2 design.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Her outfits are always stylish and classy.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Nice Crown.
- French Jerk: She has been said to be a snob.
- Gratuitous French: Oh, so much in fanworks. Ma chere, anyone?
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Holds a wine bottle in a chibi design.
- The Ojou: Looks much classier than her male counterpart, and is also said to be a snob.
Eh? Me? I just spread a honey on Estonia and rolled him a bit outside.
Voiced by: Aoi Yūki (JP), Kara Edwards (EN)
- Cute and Psycho: Is often portrayed as one in fanon, like her male counterpart.
- Improbable Weapon User: She's seen holding a long handled garden shovel behind her back.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her P2 version.
Estonia! I have a good medicine for you aru! You buy it - I will be happy, you will be happy!
Voiced by: Mika Kanai (JP), Clarine Harp (EN)
- Cute Bruiser: Is often portrayed this way in fanart. It helps that the anime has her striking an adorably badass pose.◊
- Dragon Lady: Has the looks in her 2p counterpart.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: She wields a butcher's knife with a blank smile in two sketches; Himaruya mentions how she's the type whose thoughts aren't easily read.
- Gratuitous English: "You buy it, I will be happy, you will be happy!"
- Verbal Tic: Like China, she ends most of her sentences with "aru".
Americas, Africa, and Oceania
Voiced by: Kasumi Nakamura (JP), Luci Christian (EN)
- Fair Cop: Her P2 design has her wearing a Mountie uniform.
- Hair Decorations: Maple leaf-shaped ones, according to the latest sketches.
- Meganekko: This added with the pigtails makes her more resemble England than America.
- Nice Hat: Wears a cute beret.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Like her male counterpart, female Canada has a bear named "Kumarie" who, according to Word of God, is much more "violent and scarier" than Kumajirou.
- Shrinking Violet: Appears to be quite shy.
- Non-Human Sidekick: That fish he and his female counterpart carry around.
- Only Six Faces: Look exactly like Thailand without glass.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Right in the very first 'chibi' sketch of him.
- Nice Hat: Or crown... Or whatever that is.
- Every Girl Is Cuter With Hairdecs: Has a quite detailed headband
South Italy (Italy Romana)
- Absolute Cleavage: See the picture above.
- Boobs of Steel: Subverted. Romana has been said to be a better fighter than her male counterpart, but a group sketch shows she certainly doesn't have big breasts. Fanon on the other hand loves to play this trope straight.
- Girly Bruiser: Is very feminine, but she's a better fighter than Romano.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Is usually portrayed with one in Fanon.
- Idiot Hair: She was originally designed without a haircurl, but it was later added back in a 'chibi' sketch.
- Spell My Name with an "S": As "Katarina" is hardly used by Italians, fans sometimes opt to call her, "Caterina", a more commonly used name in Italy.
- Tsundere: She's been portrayed to be Type A like her male counterpart, but not as fierce in fanon.
- Brainy Brunette: Is often portrayed as being calmer and smarter than her male counterpart, for some reason.
- Genki Girl: Is portrayed as such in fanon.
- Like A Daughter To Me: A note about her on Himaruya's blog states that she views Romana as her own daughter.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The same with her male counterpart, there is still much debate if her surname should be "Fernandez Carriedo" or "Hernandez Carriedo".
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: If it is an Austrian Succession uniform, it's hardly period accurate. And if it isn't...it's not exactly modern, either.
- Beauty Mark: Hard to see, but it's on the opposite side to male Austria.
- Fantastic Arousal: And if it's anything like his...
- Elegant Classical Musician: Though it's not actually mentioned in her notes, it's assumed she's like male Austria in this regard.
- Gendered Outfit: Her clothing seems to be a Simple, yet Opulent dress in the style of male Austria's white uniform from the War of Austrian Succession, though whether it actually is a uniform is debatable.
- Happily Married, later Amicable Exes: With male Hungary, as far as we know.
- Idiot Hair: Mariazell, the same as her counterpart.
- Lady and Knight: In Fanon, she and male Hungary have this vibe, in an even more pronounced way than their counterparts.
- Not So Different: To her male counterpart, fanworks often painting her an Opposite-Sex Clone of sorts.
- The Ojou: Has the looks, and since we're speaking of Austria here...
- Something About a Rose: Pictured with what appear to be rose petals, and connected to an opera called ''Der Rosenkavalier'' ("The Knight of the Rose").
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: In Fanon, like male Austria. Other portrayals make her softer to begin with.
- Supreme Chef: She has supposedly learned to cook many dishes and give them an "Austrian spin".
- Sweet Tooth: In Fanon, just as male Austria is always said to love sweets and baking.
Voiced by: Rei Sakai (JP), Anastasia Muñoz (EN)
- Bare Your Midriff: Her P2 version.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Is commonly portrayed as this in fanworks.
- Cool Big Sis: "A wild and strong-personality type older sister" according to the author notes. Fanon likes to portray her as one to Germany.
- Gendered Outfit: A riff on Prussia's uniform from the Austrian Succession era.
- Nice Shoes: Combat boots.
- The Nicknamer: In Fanon, like male Prussia.
- Non-Human Sidekick: A small yellow female bird.
- Battle Butler: If he's anything like his counterpart during her time as a maid, he would be a version of this.
- Bishounen: A contender, with his long hair. On the other hand, western Fanon regularly portrays him as more of a Hunk.
- Bodyguard Crush: Assumedly has this on female Austria.
- Boisterous Bruiser: If he's not Keet, he's this.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Fanon sometimes attributes this to his as a child, in keeping with female Hungary thinking she was a boy.
- Good-Looking Privates: Shown wearing a rather snazzy military uniform in another sketch◊, complete with Nice Hat.
- Hair Decorations: Keeps female Hungary's, perhaps to retain the reference to Lake Balaton.
- Happily Married, later Amicable Exes: With female Austria, as far as we know.
- Improbable Weapon User: The Frying Pan of Doom is carried over from female Hungary in Fanon, though he's not pictured with one. He does look like he's about to throw his paprika at someone, though.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: In Fanon, as an adaptation of female Hungary's Tomboy status. Particularly symbolised with the flower in his hair.
- Keet: He appears to be this in an earlier group sketch.
- Lady and Knight: Given this dynamic with female Austria, to complement their counterparts.
- Not So Different: He's portrayed as this compared to his female counterpart. Indeed, another sketch shows him pretty much resembling a ponytailed Hungary without breasts.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Though his hair colour may vary, like female Hungary's, and is more of a light brown.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Drawn once with a paprika, as female Hungary has been on occasion.
- Yuri Fan: Due to his female counterpart's fangirl tendencies, he's often portrayed as this.
- Cat Smile: But, of course.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His hair looks nearly identical to Netherlands' when his hair is down.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chocolate!
- Hot Librarian and Scientist: She is carrying a tome around.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With male!Liechtenstein.
- Tsundere/Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Like her male counterpart, she is portrayed as one by fans.
- Yodel Land: Averted. She has the looks of a scholar in reference to the many famous mathematicians and scientists from her land.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With fem!Switzerland.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: One 'chibi' sketch portrays him with a cape and a crown to give him a "prince" sort of look.
- Wine Is Classy: He's shown with a glass in a sketch.
- Buxom Is Better: Just look at her chibi sketch.
- Fan Nickname: Fans tend to call her "Hera" or "Helena".
- Genki Girl: Seems to be more energetic than her male counterpart
- Idiot Hair: She actually lacks male!Greece's one, unless you count the curls at the end of her Rapunzel Hair
- Action Girl Cute Bruiser: With a Cool Sword, most likely a kilij like male Turkey's.
- Belly Dancer: Wears an outfit like that. A little Stripperiffic, hm?
- Fan Nickname: The most used human names for her are "Lale" ("tulip" in Turkish) or "Sidika".
- Plucky Girl: Looks Hot-Blooded and ready to take you on!
- Lipstick Lesbian: Subverted. Nobody is quite sure she prefer Fem!Finland or not, but one thing is she is quite beautiful.
- Stoic Spectacles: Subverted if she is like her male counterpart.
- Nice Hat: A Santa hat!
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship/Les Yay: Depending on how Fanon portrays her relationship with fem!Sweden.
- Hidden Buxom: Some fans portray her having a large chest, and invoke this trope as a happy medium from her bifauxnen design.
- The Lad-ette: Is usually portrayed as such in Fanon.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to fem!Norway's Girly Girl in fanon.
- Dramatic Wind: There seems to a wind drafting on her hair.
- The Stoic: From how she presents herself.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to fem!Denmark's Tomboy.
- Hair Decorations: A headband.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: In Fanon, which goes hand in hand with Yandere.
- Death Glare: His default expression apparently.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Fanworks like to play this up to parallel Belarus' obsession with Russia.
- Yandere: Pixiv fanart picked up on this a bit even before the first day he was revealed finished. One can also assume he's yandere for fem!Russia, but YMMV. The type of yandere tends to differ, though: contrasting with the canon Belarus being "let's get married, let's get married, let's get married, LET'S GET MARRIED" (obsessive type), male!Belarus tends to be more passive-aggressive and say "I'm the only one good enough for you, Sister, so let's get marriedmarriedmarried" instead (possessive type).
- Team Dad: He's usually portrayed this way in fanworks.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Fans have noticed that he closely resembles Hetalia's Russia, despite being female Russia's older brother.
Poland and Lithuania
- Bifauxnen: If not for her long hair, Liet could easily pass as a boy.
- Braids of Action: Liet has a long one that contrasts with Poland's short bob
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Poland seems to be ready to do this, holding her sword without an ounce of shyness while dressed in a cute gown.
- Lady of War: Both have the looks and hold swords
- Perpetual Frowner: Lithuania looks more serious than her Nice Guy original counterpart
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Lithuania is a Bifauxnen in a military uniform and Poland is a Girly Girl in a frilly dress.
- Voiced by: Riiko Takizawa (Japanese), Ryan Reynolds (English)
- Ascended Extra: She was featured in the background of one panel of the original strip, but was seen more clearly in its animated version.
- Girly Girl: Seems to be so, judging by her quiet demeanor and her very girlish clothes.◊
- Hair Decorations: She wears two red hairbows on her hair.
- Monochromatic Eyes: She has those in the anime, unlike the original Latvia whose eyes look more or less normal.
- Nice Hat: A small red one, plus the aforementioned bows
- Girlish Pigtails: A single and VERY long braid.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Seen holding a carrot.
- And kimchi, in this sketch. Like her male counterpart, of course.
- Idiot Hair: The same one of his female counterpart.
- Keet/Tsundere: Is given this personality in fanwork, specially if he's portrayed alongside Fem!Japan or Fem!China. With Fem!Hong kong, he tends to be the Nice Guy to her Tsundere.
- The One Guy: Rather obviously.◊
- Real Men Wear Pink: Quite stylish and doesn't mind wearing a flower pin on his shirt.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Often portrayed as rather short but otherwise fits.
- Emotionless Girl: Assumed to be, like her male counterpart.
- The Fashionista: Again, in fanon. Might be a little of a Spoiled Brat/Rich Bitch when at her worst, too.
- Qipao: A shirt version with deep slits.
- Improbable Weapon User: A paddle, like his female counterpart.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Complete with a qipao.
- The Gambler: Most likely, like her male counterpart. She even wears a card in her hair.
- Hair Decorations: Wears an ace of hearts in her ponytail.
- She's Got Legs: Shows them off with a rather large slit in her dress.
- Spot of Tea: Drawn with a teapot.