Applies to multiple characters
- Familiar: All the bonded.
- Mons: The magical creatures.
- Power Crystal: All of the mages have one, and the missing Power Crystals are what's causing the magical flood from Avalon itself.
Emily Fletcher the Healer
Emily is the kind-hearted healer who is close to animals. Her mother is a veterinarian and she grew up with animals her entire life. She usually acts as the mediator whenever Adriane and Kara get into one of their squabbles. She's the only one with no bonded animal even though she is meant to bond with all animals. There's a flip side to her compassion.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Emily was cured of it about halfway through the first book.
- Aura Vision: Emily can see magical auras.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: A constant risk after she becomes the Dark Mage.
- Empathic Healer: Emily feels the pain of the sick/wounded creatures she must heal. If their ailment is too great, she might fall sick as well.
- FaceHeel Turn: Defied. She doesn't go all the way thanks to Ozzie.
- Friend to All Living Things: As the healer, she is supposed to bond with all animals.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Healing is far from the top of the list in combat effectiveness. But then it lets you control minds, drain the life out of magical creatures, and manipulate the very essence of magic.
- Stepford Smiler: She is still hurting from her parents' divorce and due to her role as the healer she ends up focusing on helping others instead of confronting her own emotional issues. It's eventually Played for Drama in Dark Mage where Emily is unwilling to confide to her friends about the dark prophecy the mermaids tell her and decides to ignore it instead, resulting in a Self Fufiling Prophecy.
Indi, Emily's Paladin
- Animate Inanimate Object: Is a Power Crystal called Heart of Avalon.
- Glamour Failure: Regardless of the form he takes, Indi will always be purple in colour.
- Shapeshifter: Before finally settling as a Unicorn, Indi had taken the forms of Ozzie, a sea dragon, a chimera, etc. while travelling with Emily.
- Teleportation: His magic can randomly teleport himself and others to random locations.
- Unicorn: Shape Shifter Default Form
Adriane Charday the Warrior
Adriane is a Native American/French girl and the team fighter. Her parents are artists who often travel, so she didn't have a stable home until recently and fancies herself an independent who didn't need friends. She now lives with her grandmother at the Ravenswood Preserve. She's the first to acquire her jewel and the most adept at controlling it.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Starts out like this but she begins to warm up as she grows closer to the other girls and Zach.
- But Not Too Foreign: She is part French and part Native American.
- Birds of a Feather: Quite easily bonds with Zach in Cry of the Wolf for their shared status as an outcast in their respective homelands.
- Failure Knight: She never truly got over Storm's death (despite having a new bonded in the form of Dreamer), because she believed herself responsible when Storm sacrificed her magic to save Adriane and the others.
- Loners Are Freaks: She's basically an outcast in Ravenswood, being known as that weird girl who wears black and lives in the forest.
- Magical Native American: Her grandmother is a Native American, and so Adriane is the first person to discover her mage powers.
- Magical Girl Warrior: Adriane holds the official title of the Warrior in the prophesied three mages.
- Nature Hero: Her element is Earth and her paladin is the embodiment of the forest she calls home.
- Not Good with People: She practically lives in the forest, where she mostly handles animals. She is much more comfortable being around those creatures than socializing with other people.
- Raised by Grandparents: Downplayed. Her parents are still alive, but they are both traveling artists. They entrusted Nadoka to take care of Adriane once she started middle school so she could have a stable home life.
- Tomboy: Unsurprisingly, as the Warrior, Ariadne the least feminine of the group. She is outdoorsy and active, her fashion is cool and practical rather than pretty or stylish, and she lacks interest in any traditional feminine interests.
- Too Many Belts: Wears belts in places that don't need them, unless they're chains
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Has this dynamic with Kara.
Stormbringer, Adriane's Bonded, and later Paladin
- Came Back Strong: After her apparent death in book 6, she returns in book 9 as a Paladin, which is pretty much an upgrade to her previous status as a a "bonded animal".
- Noble Wolf: The "wise protector of nature" variety.
- Disney Death: Vaporized in Trial of Fire, but her spirit returned in Ghost Wolf to become Adriane's paladin.
- Invisibility: Mist wolves cannot be seen when they are in their "mist" forms.
- Last of Her Kind: Was initially believed to be the last of the Mist Wolves, until Cry of the Wolf reveals that a large pack of them still exists.
- Super Smoke: Being a mist wolf, Storm can transform herself into mist and turn invisible. The smoke itself can be used to hide others, making them invisible.
Dreamer, Adriane's Bonded
- Invisibility: Mist wolves cannot be seen when they are in their "mist" forms.
- Noble Wolf: The "wise protector of nature" variety.
- Replacement Goldfish: Becomes Adriane's new bonded after Stormbringer's apparent death in book 6.
- Super Smoke: Like all Mistwolves, he can transform into mist that turns himself and others invisible.
Kara Davies the Blazing Star
The beautiful daughter of the mayor and a prominent lawyer, Kara grew up a spoiled brat. In school, she's a social butterfly and a standard Alpha Bitch. She's the last to get her jewel and had the most difficulty in learning control. Her power is not meant to be used for herself, but to enhance others' powers.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: She fits the stereotypical spoiled, rich teenage girl persona who only cares about parties and fashion. Adriane calls her a drama queen, and can barely tolerate her presence.
- Character Development: Changed the most of the three, becoming much more considerate to other people, and even enjoying hanging out with Emily and Adriane more.
- Dreadful Musician: Can't sing in tune.
- Girly Girl: Easily the most feminine of the three, being a fashionista who loves shopping and make-up.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She can still be bitchy, but she has good intentions at heart after her Character Development.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: She's the spoiled daughter of a Mayor, and most of her wardrobe are pink in colour.
- Shapeshifter: When she defeated the Skultum in book six, she briefly gains shapeshifting ability, and tricked the Sorceress by disguising herself as a Manticore.
- Stylish Protection Gear: Has designer hiking boots.
- Super Empowering: The primary role of the blazing star is to increase the power of the other mages.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: She can afford any clothes she wants, but the Fairy Closet lets her have whatever clothes she can imagine.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Has the dynamic with Adriane.
Lyra, Kara's Bonded
- Mix-and-Match Critters: A leopard with wings.
Dragonfliesnote , Kara's Bonded
- Teleportation: They also make a great interdimensional communication network.
- Portal Cut: They can use Kara's hair to make portals to other worlds.
Starfire, Kara's Paladin
- Cool Horse: Starfire is a magnificent horse with a fiery mane and tail.
The Heart of the team. He's actually an elf who got turned into a ferret when he lands on Earth. He motivates the other whenever they hit a low point. He's their anchor and indispensable in the running of the Pet Palace.
- Animorphism: He wasn't particularly pleased about having to be turned into a ferret in order to be sent to Earth.
- Disney Death: Gets apparently killed by Emily in Dark Mage, but comes back in his elf form in the final book.
- The Heart: Team motivational speaker whose powers are essentially to be a loud shrimp and be incorruptible to Dark magic.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: His ferret form actually makes him unkillable and his incorruptibility is the key to Screw Destiny.
- I Choose to Stay: Although he spends a lot of time complaining about being a ferret, and getting stuck on Earth, he chose to stay with Emily at the end of Book 6, when the Fairymentals offered him to return to his elven body and go back to Aldenmor.
- Mentor Mascot: Not much on the mentor part though.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Briefly appears as a Plot Device in the first book, then pretty much disappeared from the story. In the final book, he returns to help restore Ravenswood from the dark mage's attack and is revealed in the final act to be Ozzie's Paladin
- Birds of a Feather: With Adriane. They are both asocial loners who doesn't have a place to truly belong, and are considered outsiders by their respective societies in Ravenswood and Aldenmor. They finally settle in their places, and was able to call it home.
- Demoted to Extra: Had a big role in Cry of the Wolf and it seemed he would be important from then-on, but he hasn't done or shown up much since then. He may play a bigger part in Shadow Warrior, but this has yet to be seen.
- It's Personal: Before Adriane met him, he was bent on killing the manticore that killed his parents.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Like Adriane, he often behaves as rude and callous, but he is good at heart, and was gave Adriane a lot of help throughout her journey in Cry of the Wolf.
- Raised by Wolves: After his parents were killed, he was raised by Mist wolves.
- Revenge Before Reason: Recklessly dragging the mistwolves into hunting the manticore.
Drake, Zach's Bonded
- Ascended Extra: Sort of. Tasha becomes more prominent in the republished version.
- Childhood Friends: With Lorren.
- Hot Scientist: Tasha isn't much older than the mages either.
- Meganekko: Fitting since she's a scientist studying magic.
- Innocently Insensitive: Played for Drama. He excitedly tells Emily about the progress of the baby sea dragons she helped save, completely oblivious to the emotional distress she's in due to Ozzie's death. Emily ends up brushing him off, and he is unable to understand why she is acting cold towards him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's rather rude at first, but after Emily helps him change his mind about magic and Niva becomes his bonded animal, he becomes a lot more friendly towards the mages and the dragon riders.
Primary antagonist of the series. She wants to open Avalon and gain its power.
- Always Someone Better: Her feelings towards her sister Lucinda and being overshadowed by her was one of the reasons why she turned evil.
- Big Bad: Her desire to reach Avalon and control all magic is what drove the conflict in almost every book in the series.
- Cain and Abel: She is the Cain to Lucinda's Abel.
- The Chessmaster: In the 11th book, she manipulated the three mages to collect the PowerCrystals to open the Gates of Avalon for her, then seizes the key when the trio are busy fighting with each other.
- Evil Makeover: After killing/maiming her former friends and becoming the Dark Sorceress, she took Lucinda's form.
- Fallen Hero: She used to be one of the Three prophecied mages, being the Warrior, but fell into the dark side when she killed her own bonded and became the Dark Sorceress.
- Hellish Pupils: Her eyes are slitted like a snake's, further emphasizing her evil nature.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: After Kara was told by the fairies that she carries the blood of The High Queen Lucinda, the Dark Sorceress calmly tells her that she is Lucinda's sister.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: She was drawn to The Dark Side because she's tired of living under her sister's shadow.
- Redemption Rejection: All her former friends are brought together, including the bonded that she killed, and they begged her to return to who she used to be. She hesitated for a moment, but then shoots them down.
- White Hair, Black Heart: She used to have brown hair when she was Miranda. When she fell to the darkness, her hair becomes white.
- Body Horror: She has a humanoid upper half, but her lower body is a grotesque spider-like monstrosity.
- Dragon with an Agenda: She seems to be working for the Sorceress in book 10, but in the Dark Mage, she is revealed to have her own plans to take Avalon for herself. While the Dark Sorceress was plotting to lure Kara to The Dark Side, the Spider Witch used Emily to do her bidding, turning her to become the prophecied Dark Mage.
- Fallen Hero: Was once The Healer of a previous generation of the mages, but becomes corrupted by Miranda when the latter becomes the prophesied Dark Mage and killed Lucinda.
- Failure Knight: Was Lucinda's best friend, and her inability to prevent the latter's death was what drove her FaceHeel Turn to to become the Spider Witch.
- Redemption Equals Death: In the final act of the series, she was restored by the magic of the mist wolves and was transformed back to Silvan the healer. She then turned against the Dark Sorceress, but along with Lucinda and Gardner died in the ensuing battle that finally destroyed Miranda and Avalon.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Has them as in her current form and when she was Sylvan.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Double subverted. He's known to be an unscrupulous dark fairy, but he helps Kara re-create the Power Crystal she needs to open the gates of Avalon. Then it was revealed that he was working for the Dark Sorceress to manipulate Kara into becoming the Dark Mage. When the three girls confronted him about this, he reasoned that he was merely conducting a business with her, and helped the girls on their quest by providing them with information.
- Interrogation by Vandalism: Gets his spiffy equipment trashed by the mages three when they found out that he was working with the sorceress to help her reach Avalon in The Dark Mage.
- Magic Versus Science: The arcane arts are still magic, but the methods are much more scientific than the mage approach.