List of characters in the series.
Voiced by: Tasuku Hatanaka (JP), Scott Gibbs (EN)The main protagonist. He's transferred into the academy after a street brawl that left him in the hospital...or so the records say. The reality of the situation being that he quite handily beat everyone in said fight and ended up hurt by a man in white whose terms were to "Become mine or die".
Though he looks and talks like a delinquent he actually enjoys peace and quiet instead of actively seeking fights. Now as the newest transfer student at the symbiosis academy his options are to fight his way through the student body or be forced to dress and act like a girl like so many before him. To this end he sets his sights on earning a pass that allows him to roam freely on and off campus which means defeating the Supreme Five Swords and earning all five of their stamps to validate it.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Gives one to Satori for her actions towards him.
- Battle Strip: When dealing with Satori, who has been fighting him naked the entire time, the trick to her defeat ends up being a taste of her own medicine. Doubling as Chekhov's Gun is the fact that he couldn't use his madan because seeing her naked left him with an erection.
- Big Damn Heroes: Throws Tsukuyo out of the way when Amou is about to finish her and charges her head on in one fluid motion.
- Chivalrous Pervert: When he defeats Mary she, under the expectations of his fight with Rin, demands that he violate her. He refuses saying that as much as he'd like too, he refuses to be forced to molest someone. Unlike the anime however the manga made it clear that he was suffering from blood loss at the time and wasn't thinking straight as a result.
- Conveniently an Orphan: It's revealed that his parents died when he was very young, so he doesn't even remember their names or faces.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: Towards the Five Swords. After fighting Rin and Mary, he manages to gain their respect as they realize that he isn't as barbaric as the males they're used to.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: He's actually a practitioner of the Jigen-Ryu, but his hatred of swords caused him to apply it to a hand-to-hand combat style. He wears knife-proof gloves to augment it. Its revealed that his dislike of swords stems from his abusive master, who was obsessed with swords.
- Japanese Delinquents: His manner of speaking and character parodies it. Though, overall he averts it, never looking for problem and only fights for self-defense or protecting his friends.
- New Transfer Student: The series begins with him transferring to Aichi after an incident at his old school where over 40 students were injured with him receiving the most damage. In reality, the other students could barely touch him and he defeated them rather easily. He was only damaged when fighting Amou.
- Say My Name: Directed at Amou after he saves Tsukuyo from her.
- Signature Move: His Madan, or Spirit Bullet, is a technique that allows him to gather energy and blast through his opponent with an immense amount of energy doing internal damage, provided he can lay a hand on them.
- Training from Hell: He describes his childhood as being full of a lot of abusive training to the point that his body simply couldn't take it anymore and gave out on him.
- We Used to Be Friends: If you'd only ever seen the first interaction between he and Amou you'd have sized them up as two people who would have become the best of friends if not more. However that didn't even last a day until she clocked a student he was hanging out with in the jaw in a fit of classic yandere jealousy. The phrasing of her words after that didn't help either and more than anything set them on opposite paths.
Voiced by: Eriko Matsui (JP), Carli Mosier (EN)The "other" heroine of the series and the true identity of the man in white that put Nomura in the hospital. Whatever occurred during their fight something he did left a mark on her and now she displays a low-key obsession with him. Having arrived at the academy before him she's now looms as a shadow over the academy that even the Five Swords are hesitant to battle against.
- Arc Villain: The main villain in the first arc.
- But Now I Must Go: Not by choice, though. As punishment for the incidents she caused, she is transferred by Koharu, the owner of the school, to the other symbiosis school, Hokkai. She seems content with it, surprisingly.
- Counter Attack: Her training has given her an auto-counter where her body strikes instinctively with horrifying precision. No one in the series has yet to land a strike on her without getting stabbed themselves for their trouble.
- Dark Action Girl: Cruel, easily angered, lacking in morals.
- Disproportionate Retribution: A flashback reveals she nearly killed a guy Nomura had befriended because Nomura had already made plans to hang out with him. For extra atrociousness, the poor guy was a bullying victim Nomura had saved earlier and Amou had just perpetuated the abuse. Flashing forward to the present, the photo Satori took of herself naked and atop of a drugged Nomura was enough for her to go after the Five Swords and their subordinates, none of whom had anything to do with what Satori did.
- The Dreaded: She's horrifyingly powerful and can beat most of the Five Swords effortlessly. She's also the only one capable of fighting Tsukuyo on even footing.
- Foil: To Nomura. She's the only other student shown defying the Five Swords and is shown to be stronger than the majority of them. But whereas Nomura comes to befriend each of them, Amou simply strikes fear into them. While Nomura desires freedom above all else, Amou desires domination over the things she wants.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Amou's rematch with Nomura eventually breakdowns into a pure fist fight between the two. Amou in particular is shown reallly enjoying the fight.
- I've Come Too Far: During her battle with Nomura she contemplates patch things up between the two of them, but not only does she find herself unable to cast aside her pride like that she also believes she's crossed him too much for that to even be possible.
- Licking the Blade: After landing a strike on someone she'll often take the time to lick the blood on her hands. Sometimes she even does it during mid-battle banter.
- Longhair Is Feminine: She grew out her hair.
- Made of Iron: She uses special conditionings that allows her to harden her skin. Not even swords or Kyo-Bo's claws have done anything besides damage her clothes.
- Razor-Sharp Hand: She fights with the "Te-Ganata" (Sword hand) technique, a technique originating from Aikido and Okinawan Karate.
- Red Baron: Is known as "Empress" due to defeating both Rin and Mary, two members of the Supreme Five Swords, when they came attacking her at the same time.
- Slasher Smile: Wears this a lot when she's in the middle of battle.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She gives a scathing one to Satori, stating that she doesn't have anything to make her a person and only lives to make enemies out of everyone she meets, that she's no better than a ghost.
- Samus Is a Girl: When Nomura first met Amou, he thought she was a guy due to her wearing male clothing and the way she spoke. When they meet again, he learns that she was a girl.
- Say My Name: When Nomura saves Tsukuyo from her, charges her, and shouts her name she loses her cool and returns in kind as her battle aura kicks in.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: After what devolved into a senseless brawl on campus, when confronted by Nomura at the airport she grabs him by his tie, pulls him in for a kiss before she leaves, and tells him to inform the Five Swords that he belongs to her. This only happens in the anime though, the manga has her biting his lips after the kiss as a way to tease him and her words is still ambiguous even if the meaning is clear.
- What Is This Feeling?: In the manga after her first meeting with Nomura she disappears and once she was alone, she began laughing hysterically as it felt like she was running from him. Then she frets over a pain in her chest from where he hit her during their duel in the past. She runs through many different emotions that she felt might caused her to feel like this, but angrily stops herself just as she reaches the idea that she might be in love. She later admits that she knows damn good and well that's the case.
- Yandere: Turns out to be a big one for Nomura. She really doesn't like him being close with anyone else.
Supreme Five Swords
Voiced by: Yuki Takada (JP), Kira Vincent-Davis (EN)The main heroine and the first of the Supreme Five Swords that Nomura meets by means of being in the same homeroom. Never seen in public without her mask for reasons unknown. She is a practitioner of the "Kashima Shiden Jikishinkage Ryu"
- Abusive Parents: Back when she was just a child, her father cheated on her mother and left their family. This caused her mother to take out her anger on Rin, calling her ugly and "the daughter of the devil" because Rin reminded her of her unfaithful husband.
- Cool Mask: She wears one. It originally was a full face mask but it was broken in half by Amou, leaving only the upper half. It broke again when she and Nomura kiss at the end of their fight, leaving the right half intact. Its revealed that she has worn the mask since childhood because her mother couldn't stand her face, as it reminded her of her unfaithful husband. It's only after meeting Nomura that she musters the courage to show her face again.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: She uses a sword as her Weapon of Choice.
- Starter Villain: She is the very first opponent that Nomura faces in the series. Although she gives him a challenge, she is ultimately defeated through Nomura's display of his Signature Move.
- Tsundere: Starts out as hostile at Nomura as you might expect given the premise of the series but after he defeats her she turns into a Type A and has moments where she softens around him. Especially when she doesn't have her mask.
Voiced by: Sayaka Kitahara (JP), Maggie Flecknoe (EN)Mary is the second of the Supreme Five Swords that Nomura finds himself against. She uses a rapier with lightning precision targeting clusters of nerves to cause her opponents to reflexively flinch, messing up their attacks, and thus keeping herself out of their range.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: When Nomura first defeats her she has some pretty lewd expectations for what she wants him to do to her. When he refuses to touch her she shoves her stamp between her breasts in an attempt to make him do so. Later after he defeats Satori and she explains his innocence in her scheme against him she apologizes by stripping down to her bra and telling him to do whatever he wants to her. This time he's just put off by how forward she is about it.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-French.
- Covert Pervert: She's really really wants Nomura to feel her up, but she always has to give an excuse as to why it's okay instead of just telling him that she wants him to do it.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: She slips into her native French when riled up.
- Gratuitous French: See above.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: She's noticeably quite attractive.
- Royal Rapier: Only member of the Supreme Five Swords who wields one.
Satori Tamaba Misogi Tamaba
Voiced by: Nozomi Nishida (JP), Allison Sumrall (EN)Satori is the fourth of the Supreme Five Swords standing in opposition to Nomura. To call her odd would be a bit of an understatement, the people around her talking about her as a monster in human skin. She fights with a katana. Her blank unfocused stare leaves her opponents unable to figure out where she'll strike from next She is a practitioner of the "Keishi Ryu Kidachi Kata", the official style taught to police officers in Japan which consists of multiple techniques from different schools of swordsmanship.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Doesn't understand other people and doesn't see why her own behavior is considered unusual. She's also unaware of some of her own actions, or the consequences that can stem from them. Amou even calls her out on this.
- Bokukko: When she drops the Third-Person Person.
- Can't Bathe Without a Weapon: Carries her sword into the bath with her and doesn't see anything unusual about that.
- Confusion Fu: Takes full advantage of the fact her style includes techniques from ten different schools of swordsmanship to throw Nomura off.
- Distracted by the Sexy: If she actually found it sexy at the time is up is very open for debate, but when Nomura strips naked like she'd been throughout the battle she can't tear her eyes away from his manhood.
- Dissonant Serenity: She remains eerily calm through all situations which contributes to her creepy reputation.
- Fatal Flaw: The inability to understand the consequences of her actions. The photo she took of herself naked atop off Nomura while he was drugged pissed off Amou so much that she attacks her and the other Five Swords over it.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: The other Five Swords only put up with her because of her swordsmanship skills, otherwise they'd rather keep their distance. Only Nomura has been able to genuinely befriend her, or at least be on civil terms with her.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Has zero qualms about fighting Nomura while stark naked and still dripping from the bath. The innocence of it is debatable as letting him see everything she has to offer proves to play right into her hands when he's distracted by getting an eye full of her. It's at least partly subverted in that she's still very flustered when Nomura also strips and it ends up being her downfall.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Is brutally beaten down by Amou for what she did to Nomura.
- Not So Stoic: After Amou brutally slashes and stabs her sister when she was trying to defend Satori from her all Satori can do is cry and scream in anguish before getting the same treatment.
- Stoic Woobie: Her own parents called her a monster, and she could never understand why.
- Taking the Bullet: The real Satori for Misogi.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Her standard expression which she also weaponize for great efficiency in her fights, as her fish-eyed gaze makes it impossible for her opponents to read her next move.
- Twin Switch: A dark version. Satori is actually Misogi, Satori's tomboyish twin sister. During childhood Misogi started mimicking Satori while forcing Satori to act like her, eventually they swapped hairstyles, speaking styles, and names. The reason Satori is so hard to understand is she is imitating her sister at all times.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (JP), Juliet Simmons (EN)The third of the Supreme Swords in opposition to Nomura. Instead of fighting him directly she opts to make a spectacle of her attempted correction with her own twisted Olympic events. She is a practitioner of the "Taisha Ryu".
- Eye Scream: Amou slices her eyes as a cruel response to her begging to leave her friends alone. Fortunately she only had her eyelids sliced to the point she can't open them on her own requiring surgery as a result.
- Fluffy Tamer: Has a pet bear name Kyo-Bo; This extends her newborn cub as well.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: "Hyooo hyo hyo hyo hyo!"
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Keeping a pet bear is against the rules even in that school, so she joined the Five Supreme Swords that are tasked with enforcing the rules and are effectively exempt.
- Take Me Instead: Begs Amou to kill her instead of her friends and Kyo-bo. All she gets for her trouble is the eye scream listed above.
- The Unfought: She doesn't fight Nomura because he opts to fight Kyo-bo on Rin's behalf while she takes on Warabi instead.
Voiced by: Natsumi Hioka (JP), Luci Christian (EN)The last of the Supreme Five Swords, the only middle school student of the group, and the most feared of the bunch by the students of the academy. A practicioner of the "Yakumaru Jigen-Ryu", specifically of the Iajutsu techniques. She's actually the younger half-sister of the school's owner, Koharu Narukami. Turns out it was Koharu herself who assigned Tsukuyo to watch over Nomura.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: As someone who studies from a similar school of swordsmanship as Nomura she's frustrated by his imperfect technique and tries to get him to be her student. When it doesn't work she offers him the last stamp on his off-campus pass in exchange. When it still doesn't work she later uses the same idea, only this time if he doesn't agree there would be no way for him to reach Amou at the airport before she leaves as he's still bound by school rules. He finally caves.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Is able to deduce that Nomura has had prior experiences with fighting with a sword based on his movements and his confidence that he can engage in a sword fight unarmed. Even more awesome is the fact that she can't even see.
- Blind Weaponmaster: Her being blind does not stop her from the undisputed best swordfighter in the Goken.
- Catchphrase: "How disappointing."
- The Dreaded: Everyone has the same advice for Nomura when it comes to her: Stay away from her. She will kill you. She makes good on her reputation when she presses her blade against Nomura's neck before he gets the opportunity to realize what happened. And again when she's the one person to give Amou pause when she prepares to attack her.
- Flash Step: Can move at such a speed that she appears behind Nomura before he can notice. The technique is called "Unyo", which is passed down in her family. Hers is called Unyo "Shunkou". Her two older half-siblings, Ryuunosuke and Koharu are each masters of two different Unyo, Shippu and Jinrai, respectively.
- Handicapped Badass: In addition to being blind, her body is very weak and by the time she properly encounters Nomura she's recovering from a cold. With that said, her being able to sneak up on Nomura before he can notice and score a hit on Amou shows that she's still very much a threat.
- Hikikomori: Was one in Shinakoi, seems to have gotten over it in Busou Shoujo.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: She's a master of the iaijutsu technique of the "Yakumaru Jigen-Ryu" sword style.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: All the students are intimidated of her due to her status as The Dreaded, which seems to bother her. She takes an interest in Nomura because of how easy he can befriend the other four Swords. There's also the fact that she was formerly a hikikomori.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: There are two ways of discerning that Tsukuyo has finally decided to get serious: one is when she opens her eyes, the other is when the temperature in the air suddenly begins to drop.
- Little Miss Badass: The smallest and youngest member of the Goken is also the most dangerous.
- The Mentor: Becomes one to Nomura, Nomura would've never won against Amou without her advice and she is currently helping Nomura to perfect the Madan. Nomura even calls her "Master".
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Normally, she's The Stoic and not one to change emotions on her face. So when she does exhibit visual emotions, something is definitely wrong. To put it in her own words:"When my anger surpasses a certain level, I smile instead."
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: Her eyes are a dim brownish-red due to her blindness.
- Super Senses: As a trade-off for being blind, she's able to hear and distinguish what goes on in the school from far away.
- Tsundere: She easily gets flustered when Nomura actually talks to her.
- Worf Had the Flu: Literally in this case. She cought a cold for standing in the rain for too long while waiting for Nomura after his fight with Satori. This, along with carrying a low-quality sword, almost cost her dearly while fighting Amou.
- Wrecked Weapon: Her sword gets broken in half by Amou. Justified though, since it's just a fake, and can't even put a scratch on Amou's hardened body.
Assistants of the Supreme Five Swords
Voiced by: Miku Itou (JP), Shanaea Moore (EN)Rin Onigawara's subordinate, the head of the Assistants.
- Panty Shot: Happens after Nomura defeats her.
- Pink Means Feminine: Not only her hair, but also her underwear.
- Third-Person Person: Often says her given name.
- Undying Loyalty: To Onigawara, to the point that she'll barrel through a building full of mooks to get to her side.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: See Pink Means Feminine above.
Voiced by: Akane Kohinata (JP), Margaret McDonald (EN)
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Doesn't like to be called by her real name because the "U" kanji contains the character for "cormorant" in it. She prefers to be called Regina Delle Farfalle "The Butterfly Queen".
- Fauxreigner: Puts on a blond wig and colored contacts to look like a foreigner.
- Hairstyle Malfunction: At one point her wig got stolen by one of Kyo-Bo's cubs, and she didn't dare to leave her room without it.
- Whip It Good: Wields a whip, although Reality Ensues in that it is shown to be very impractical and hard to control.
Voiced by: Saki Fujita (JP), Joanne Bonasso (EN)Warabi's bear companion and her right hand.
- Action Mom: Not only is she the mother of a young bear cub, she can sumo wrestle and is a decent boxer.
- Art Shift: Lampshaded by Nomura, who notes that her entire design changed to look cuter and less realistic. Warabi claims that only those who let go of their prejudices against Kyo-bo will see her true form. She changes back into her vicious appearance once Warabi realizes that Amou is finally making her move and beginning to take out the Five Swords one by one.
- Bears Are Bad News: Not only does Kyo-Bo know how to sumo wrestle but she's also a boxer.
- Boxing Battler: Warabi taught her boxing in case she had to fight someone who could fight against a bear's normal fighting ways, though Nomura notes that the latter of the two must be incredibly awkward for her having to be on her back legs and it makes her punches predictable given time.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Nomura defeats her she's taken quite a liking to him and is hyper affectionate.
- Samus Is a Girl: Though it wasn't apparent at first. In the manga, it's revealed when her cub makes an appearance to serve as a distraction. In the anime, it's revealed earlier, when she first starts showing Nomura affection.
- Undying Loyalty: To Warabi. She's more than willing to attack Amou, despite knowing that she won't stand a chance, if it means saving her master.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Subverted: Warabi knew well this is a weakness of bears, so she taught him boxing.
Misogi Satori TamabaAn anonymous, silent student wielding a weighted blowgun and poisoned darts and wearing a hockey mask with a wig. Leader of Satori Tamaba's henchmen, she helps frame Nomura by acting as the cameraman. Her name does not correspond to any student in the school registry.
The real Satori Tamaba. When she was younger, her sister Misogi forced her to switch places with her.
- Dramatic Unmask: Enough to cause the unmasker to faint.
- Shrinking Violet: Can barely speak, and is horrified at the idea of someone seeing her face.
- Taking the Bullet: Despite everything, she dives in between Amou and her sister to keep her from being stabbed. For a few minutes.
- Twin Switch: See the entry for her sister above.
Voiced by: Tetsuharu Ota (JP), Andrew Love (EN)Nomura's only male friend and roommate at the Academy.
- Et Tu, Brute?: It's revealed that he helped Satori by drugging Nomura
- Bromantic Foil: Unlike Nomura, he represents the average male student at the Academy who has chosen to assimilate. He's generally portrayed as a fearful contrast to Nomura's reckless seeking of freedom.
- Hidden Depths: It's hinted that he has a stronger will than he lets on. It's partly for this reason that he ends up crucified.