The Empyrium is the home realm of the Arkn. It is categorized into four regions: Distalia, Mistria, Shallus, and Destrus. Each region is ruled by a Thani, and each Thani in turn is ruled by the Arkn Eldric. The one exception to this is Avantas'tol, a metropolis which exists as an independent kingdom within the realm.
The patriarch of the Irinith family and former ruler of Avantas'tol. The father of Tabbris, Calcharan, and Ryu'lough.
- Action Dad: Is implied to have been one.
- Abusive Parents: He was emotionally and physically abusive to his three sons in childhood, and remains verbally and emotionally abusive to Tabbris when he's an adult.
- Domestic Abuse: In addition to abusing his three sons, he's all but confirmed to have mistreated his wife, Iaealis, when she was alive.
Tabbris Xanthris Irinith
The former Indazari of Avantas'tol. The oldest (and only surviving son) of Amartas Irinith, he ruled the kingdom for a time before stepping down. He is the father of Sevar'khai and Franz Faust.
- Action Dad: He's no stranger to battle — before and after producing two sons. (He also personally trains them in the art of combat.)
- Affectionate Nickname: Faust usually calls him "ire-an Elbaset" ("My Father").
- The Good King: He was a good ruler, and was much beloved by his subjects.
- Parental Favoritism: Downplayed: he favors Franz slightly over Sevar'khai; however, this seems to be more out of protective instinct (due to Franz being half-human), and he does make the effort to train both his sons.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Tabbris's work unfortunately kept him very busy, and caused him to miss out on much of his son's lives. Despite his distant nature, however, he is a caring man, and he tries to be a good father.
Sevar'khai Elistros Irinith
The oldest son of Tabbris Irinith and older half-brother of Franz Faust, Sevar'khai is the aggressive and egotistical heir to the throne of Avantas'tol.
- Big Brother Bully: According to Faust, Sevar'khai is this.
- Sketchy Successor: It's hinted that he's not nearly as beloved (and adept) a ruler as his father was.
- The Wrongful Heir to the Throne: The only thing we know for certain about Sevar'khai that isn't from Faust's perspective. He's the only full-blooded and legitimate son that Tabbris Irinith birthed, but he is apparently not ruling very well.
Franz Irinith Faust
Known as the Scholar of Ersis and the Archivist, Faust is an Arkn-Human hybrid and the youngest child of Tabbris Irinith. He is a scholar of Arkn and Dekn culture.
See here for tropes about him.
The former King of Avantas'tol. He was known for being a fair ruler, and tried to bring peace and prosperity to his people in his time. Gav'reel carried a weapon of legendary power: a staff known as The Thorn, which vanished after his death.
- Death by Origin Story: He is introduced via the legend of his demise: he was murdered by Miriam Mag'dal, who was wielding Reignbreaker (the former sword of Ellpagg).
- Technical Pacifist: Gavreel refused to kill anyone unless it was absolutely necessary.
- The Good King: He was a good and fair ruler, and genuinely tried to better the lot of his people during his reign.
- Magic Staff: The Thorn was a weapon of immense magical power — such that it was said to be carved from the wood of the original Tree of Life. It vanished after his death, and eventually wound up in the hands of his ancestor, Franz Faust.
- Staff of Authority: Surprisingly Averted; the Thorn was not the sign of his rule, but a symbol of his magical power (and a weapon).
- Background Magic Field: Protected by a small scale version of this: the entire region is walled off by giant Ethric crystals, which emit an energy field that disables any Dekn technology within its borders.
- Desert Bandits: The Scarred Marauders, an enormous group of Dekn bandits living under the wastes of Destrus.
- Desert Punk: The region is prime for this setting. It's been reduced to a desert wasteland by Dekn invasions and volcanic eruptions, is pockmarked with ruins, and it's a haven for deadly wild animals and even deadlier bandits.
- EMP: The entire region is blanketed by a magic version of this, generated by massive Ethric crystals; the field knocks out any Dekn tech that enters (or is left within) its borders. (The Eldrici's castle is protected, however: it's built of metal alloys, which basically turn it into a giant Faraday cage.)
The feared ruler of Destrus and the leader of the Army of Nothing. He dwells in Castle Diamus, on the border of Destrus.
- Action Dad: He was the adoptive father of Iscari, as well as the leader of the Army of Nothing.
- A Father to His Men: Averted; he is said to have no friendly of sentimental attachments to anyone — least of all his troops.
- Anti-Hero: Is seen as such by many of his peers.
- The Dreaded: So deadly is Eldrici Lazros that his name is feared by Arkn and Dekn alike.
- Love Is a Weakness: According to legend, "The Eldrici was cold hearted, and loved nobody. No friends or family clouded his thoughts, he was free of all that." (However, given that he adopted a son, the legends may not be entirely true.)
- The Spartan Way: He puts his recruits (often orphans of war) through brutal tests; those who fail are killed before him.
- Ocean Punk: The region has shades of this (though the "ocean" in question isn't full of water, but a dark brown, thick substance called aebys).
- Turtle Island: The Shallus contains intelligent, floating, turtle-like creatures called Banka that are so slow-moving that vegetation often grows on their backs — and so massive that they can be mistaken for islands.