The Elevrium is the sub-realm that is the native home of the Dekn. It is divided into four regions: Galliptis, Nearaive, Syrith, and Vinlar. Each region is ruled by the Dekn Emperor, from his home in the capital of Taveril'domaine. The region of Vinlar is unoccupied, due to being a scorching hot wasteland.
Taveril'domaineThe capital of the Elevrium. It is home to the Dekn Emperor and the Dekn Court (among other things).
The Court of Masters
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Every one of them has used their power (both supernatural and political) to commit atrocities at some point.
- Aristocrat Team: They collectively help manage various aspects of the empire, and all of them are nobles (though not all of them started out as such).
- Asskicking Equals Authority: You don't become a Dekn Master by being a slouch; they've been judged to be the most powerful Dekn in the Empire (ability-wise), and are second in rank only to the emperor himself.
- Decadent Court: The Dekn Court fits this to a T.
- Earn Your Title: While many of the Masters were voted into their position by the Court of Lords, some were handpicked by the Emperor after winning the Master's Tournament.
Jacques Redgrave, né Persophelus Redgrave
The former head of the Persophelum Renegade (and partner of The Carver) from Universe A, who crossed over to the new universe. For tropes related to him, see his folder under Dekn.
Ba'alav Vriangrave, né Idolyn Redgrave
The Dekn Master of Thievery, Ba'al is the son of Persophelus Redgrave. He is a legendary criminal, and is rumored to have stolen items of power from the Eldrici — and even one of the Hethe themselves.
- Affably Evil: Evil? Certainly. But he is rather charming, and he can be civil when the occasion calls for it.
- Chaotic Neutral: He skirts the line between this and Chaotic Evil. He possesses all the cunning and trickery of his father, but with a ruthless, sometimes murderous ambition (and little of the altruism Redgrave displayed).
- Cool Mask: He often covers his face with a demon mask◊ etched with Dekn symbols (which appears to be made from bone).
- God Guise: According to DeathlyLogic (who created the character), Ba'al handpicked his name from human lore about demons so he could instill fear in them.
- Impossible Thief: Legend claims that he's pulled off some crimes that are physically impossible — even for magic-wielders
Belial Indris Casimir II
Belial is the former Dekn General and Dekn Master of Sight and War, and the current leader of the Scarred Marauders.
- A Father to His Men: Stated to be this pre-exile, and implied to even occasionally be like this towards the Scarred Marauders post-exile.
- The Brigadier: Was this before his exile. Franz Faust says he was a kind and reasonable man, and compassionate towards his soldiers. This is demonstrated in the "Master of War" one-shot: when a certain Dekn General goes to Belial and asks to leave the army so he can raise his new-born child, Belial states that the man would be provided with a pension and he won't hold it against him. Later Subverted after Belial's exile.
- Cold Sniper: It's been stated multiple times that Belial is able to shoot a man's head open from several miles away.
- The Exile: Marchosias framed him for high treason, causing him to be exiled to Destrus.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite Belial's exile, (and his often abusive nature towards some of his Marauders,) the "Master of War" one-shot reveals that Belial deeply loves his son Maigrir and hopes that Maigrir turns out better than he did.
- From Camouflage to Criminal: Belial ended up using his experience as Master of War to make a very, very dangerous group of bandits and murderers known as the Scarred Marauders.
- Frontline General: Heavily implied to be this.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He is known for having a very short, and hot, temper.
- Parental Abandonment: Belial left behind a son when he was exiled.
Andras Senêrouxe As'phyxiar
Andras is the Dekn Master of Forbidden Knowledge as well as the current administrator of the Alunerium. He is the anon that torments Faust, and eventually ropes Faust into a very one-sided deal. He is also the person responsible for saving Shanna's life, and holds it over her head even still to this day.
- Badass Longcoat: His normal attire consists of a long, blood-stained coat (which doubles as a lab coat during his experiments).
- Berserk Button: If you value your life, you do not call him a coward for his experiments, or imply that he is not a hero. He also doesn't take kindly to being called "Andy".
- Cool Mask: He sports an elaborate, bird-like Plague Doctor mask.
- Deadly Doctor: Oh, yes.
- Demoted to Dragon: Seems to be taking a turn for this in relation to Marchosias in Staff of the Scholar, much to his chagrin.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Crosses into Blue and Orange Morality. He's perfectly fine with cutting up other Dekn for his experiments in order to find out more about Dekn biology, but he's not okay with some of what Marchosias is doing to cease said experiments. This is the reason why he offers Faust the initial deal to kidnap Ryael and Marchosias. He is also vocally disapproving of Marchosias' cult.
- Evil Genius: He tends to come across as this trope.
- Faux Affably Evil: Definitely behaves this way towards Faust and Shanna. When Faust insults his experiments, that's when the mask finally drops.
- Keeper of Forbidden Knowledge: His title within the Dekn Court is "Master of Forbidden Knowledge," and he maintains a library of priceless information known as the Alunerium.
- Mad Scientist: He regularly conducts brutal, unethical "experiments" involving psychological torture.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Do we really need to tell you that a guy named Asphyxiar is bad news?
- Plague Doctor: His attire recalls one, with a long, blood-stained coat and a birdlike, beaked mask.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Slips into this once or twice, as he usually calls Faust by his dead-name when he wants to twist the knife further on something.
Marchosias Levitas Aversen
The Dekn Master of Beguilement and Debauchery, and founder (and patron deity) of the Society of the Purple Rose (who worship him as the "God-Emperor Euclidis"). Faust kidnaps him in fulfillment of a deal with Andras.
- A God Am I: He likes to use his powers to encourage his underlings to see him as a god. In fact, he started a literal cult to spread the message of his supposed divinity.
- Charm Person: In his first appearance in Archives of the Scholar, this is shown as his defining trait. He can essentially talk a person into doing nearly anything.
- The Charmer: Definitely shown to be this throughout his appearances.
- The Chessmaster: He is constantly manipulating people to fulfill one goal or another. This is shown most prominently in the Dekn Court one-shots, where he frames Belial for the attempted assassination of the Dekn Emperor and manages to convince a Dekn noble to sign their estate over to him.
- Compelling Voice: His Beguilement power enables him to bend the will of another with just a few words.
- Distressed Dude: Undergoes this multiple times, being kidnapped by Faust and held captive by the Scarred Marauders.
- Egomaniac Hunter: Comes from a long line of big game hunters, and has been known to vastly enjoy the thrill of the chase himself.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Barbatos, his older brother. Marchosias looked up to him as a younger child, and still held that respect as he grew older. His late former mentor at the College of Cailedagh'salle also qualifies as this for him.
- Evil Mentor: Is this to his "acolyte" Shanna Averil.
- God-Emperor: He is revered as one by the Society of the Purple Rose. It's literally his title.
- Monster Sob Story: The death of his beloved brother Barbatos (which Belial was indirectly responsible for causing) drove him to frame Belial for the attempted assassination of the Dekn Emperor.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: As mentioned in The Dekn Court and The Siren's Saga, he prides himself on being very well-dressed, clothing himself only in the most expensive, well-cut suits.
- Supernatural Is Purple: Displays purple eyes these when using his Beguilement abilities.
- Voice of the Legion: His Beguilement ability manifests as this, when he's actively (as opposed to passively) using it. His voice is often described as slipping into a resonant baritone when his power is being actively used, and in text, this is represented by bold italics.
The Society of the Purple Rose
- Cult of Personality: Is one for Marchosias in the most literal sense, made up of those whose obsessive infatuation with him has slipped into religious devotion.
- Floral Theme Naming: When interacting with others on the group's blog, members use names taken from various types of roses (Hybrid-Tea, Hildesheim, etc).
- Mind Rape: All of the members suffer from this. The final round (which fully erases their former identity) is often the last step of their initiation.
- Property of Love: Literally: the core doctrine of the Society is that all members thereof belong to Marchosias, whom they refer to as "God-Emperor Elucidis."
- Religion of Evil: They were created solely so that Marchosias can enjoy being worshiped by those he's mind raped. Members are expected to please their "God Emperor" in all ways; those who fail to do so are sometimes sacrificed (i.e. murdered). Oh, and they hold an annual gala for the purpose of recruiting new members and raising money (when they're already absurdly wealthy).
- Secret Circle of Secrets: Very much resembles one of these, (despite its existence being fairly common knowledge in the Elevrium), with its robed disciples and oddly sexual sacrificial rituals.
- Stepford Smiler: A side effect of Getting Smilies Painted on Your Soul.
The Herald/Shanna Perivelis Averil
The Herald of the Purple Rose. A former Dekn singer-songwriter, she is the only known Dekn (aside from Marchosias himself) to possess the power of Persuasive Speech.
- Compelling Voice: She's one of only two Dekn in history to possess this power (the other being Marchosias himself). It's usually manifested through her music.
The Counselor/Timothée Solal
The Counselor of the Purple Rose.
- Camera Fiend: Loves photography, and is quite good at it. He can often be seen taking photos of other Purple Rose members.
- Hopeless Suitor: Appears to be this to Shanna, as the object of his affection is too deeply brainwashed to return his feelings at this point in time.
- Only Sane Man: Can give off the impression of being this sometimes. He's certainly the one with the most hold on his pre-Purple Rose identity, and therefore the most capable of maintaining stability.
Mod Hybrid-Tea/Penperin Ilsenthe
The High Companion of the Purple Rose.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Her entire personality after Marchosias gets ahold of her. Especially after Shanna is introduced to the group.
- Genki Girl: Extremely. Her overuse of exclamation points and kaomoji on the Purple Rose blog make her seem so cheerful as to be off-putting to anyone who stumbles upon her posts.
- Happiness in Mind Control: Appears to be this trope on any occasion when people from her former life attempt to contact her.
- Love Martyr: Her role as "High Companion" is essentially this.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Every description of her relationship with her "God-Emperor" comes across as this. Her treatment at his hands is horrific at best, and she speaks of it with the kind of rapturous joy that would make most hardcore kinksters blush.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Can turn an innocent (insofar as any Purple Rose discussion is "innocent") discussion on the Society's rite of induction into a rant about the time she was almost sacrificed— and enjoyed every second of it! ヽ(*・ω・)ﾉ — and everyone is fine with this.
Mod Hildesheim Rose/Malistrade Imsarrah
Marchosias' Consort within the Dekn Court, and the High Priest of the Purple Rose.
- Devoted to You: Has a somewhat different relationship with Marchosias than the others, having been a Consort long before he became a High Priest, so his proclamations of loyalty tend to be a bit less abstract and more personal than the others'.
- The Leader: Is this in Marchosias' absence. That is, until the withdrawal kicks in...
- Like a Son to Me: Sees himself as a father figure to Timothée.
- Seer: His main psychic ability is future sight.
- You Never Did That for Me: The source of most of his jealousy towards Shanna Averil is because he feels that she was elevated to a position above his, and receives privileges that he doesn't on account of this.
The Messenger of the Purple Rose, until leaving the blog after being outed as disloyal by Hybrid-Tea and replaced by Falstaff.
- Con Woman: When we first meet her, she's pretending to be able to contact the dead in order to scam grieving Dekn out of their money. She's also beginning to build up a cult of her own, isolating her frequent customers from their family and friends to make them more dependent on her services.
- Deceptive Disciple: Is this to Marchosias, as her infatuation with him is heavily tempered by her desire to have the power and influence that he has.
- Evil Counterpart: To Moirah Averil. She's every bit as adventurous, reckless, and ambitious... and a morally bankrupt sociopath with cult leader aspirations.
- Phony Psychic: Double Subverted. Zig-zagged. Before she joins the Society, she makes her money scamming the grieving by pretending to channel their lost loved ones. However, the reason she is able to do this so convincingly is because she's a talented telepath and mind reader.
Mod Falstaff/ Arika CaelanLysandra's replacement as Messenger of the Purple Rose, and the head of their child indoctrination experiment.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She is introduced as a sweet, somewhat socially awkward individual who only wants to be noticed and accepted, but she's soon revealed to have a passive-aggressive, jealous, and downright cruel side.
- Evil Teacher: Her role as the head of Purple Rose's child indoctrination experiment has shades of this, including putting a very young child in strict isolation for the crime of daring to say hello to her mother in the oneshot Scenes from the Diary of Ollistra Andelyn.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: Is this to Marchosias, constantly striving to no avail to get and keep his attention. In the Purple Rose blog post "He noticed me!," it's revealed that he's intentionally ignoring her because he enjoys seeing how far she'll go for him.
- Would Hurt a Child: Somewhat Downplayed. She always seems to be very gentle and kind to the children in her care, but at the same time, has no qualms about dealing out harsh punishments that cause permanent psychological damage.
Alphos'eli Persophelus, né Alphos'eli Redgrave
The powerful and brutal head of the Persophelus Sanguinal'estiere crime family. The son of Jacques Redgrave, he controls the black market for Rethryc crystals (and established Blood Flags just for the purpose of laundering them).
- The Chessmaster: Naturally. It's a trait he acquired from his father.
- The Don: He's the head of the Persophelum crime family.
- The Mafia: Runs the most powerful family in the Sanguinal'estiere (or "Sanguineaux'estiere", as it is known in the Dekn dialect), which is comparable to the Sicilian Mafia.
- Moral Sociopathy: Seemingly operates according to this. He started with the goal of protecting his people from being exploited by the Arkn, and currently aims to provide the Dekn with Rethryc crystals (which they wouldn't otherwise have access to). However, he gives little thought to the many individuals he's had to extort, exploit, torture, or murder along the way — including other Dekn.
- The Patriarch: He acts as such to the Persophelums. His (unofficial) title, "Elbaset", even means "father".
- Sharp-Dressed Man: The wiki mentions that he's a sharp dresser, and very particular about his appearance. When the family was first founded, he would sometimes dress in his flashiest clothes and stand outside of a business he was extorting, just to remind them of who was "in charge".
Moirah Serenia Averil
Shanna Averil's aunt. She first who appears as a minor character, offering advice and encouragement to several other characters anonymously on Tumblr. Eventually, her true intentions — to find and rescue Shanna from her captors — are revealed. She is officially employed in a diplomatic role at U.M.E.E.C., but she uses this role as a cover for her actual work of gathering and selling information.
- Action Girl: Although she hires assistants for some jobs, she's not above doing her own work, especially when the work in question entails taking down someone she feels deserves it.
- Knowledge Broker: She uses her position in U.M.E.E.C. as a cover for this.
- Mama Bear: Is this to Shanna (and anyone else she comes to consider family).
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has one of these moments after her actions cause Laurien Adaire to be indoctrinated into Purple Rose.
- Perky Goth: Her corporate-Goth style is often at odds with her cheerful and enthusiastic personality.
- Pragmatic Hero: Downplayed Trope. She shows a great amount of concern for her assistants and workers, but she was also willing to put Laurien Adaire at risk of falling in with the Purple Rose cult in order to have a chance at finding more information on her niece's location.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Her connections in U.M.E.E.C., SEEKER, and the black market are often leveraged to provide her with access to locations and information she'd never be able to access otherwise.
- We Help the Helpless: Though she sells information to anyone willing to pay, she will occasionally help those in need free of charge.
NearaiveA mostly forested region, known for being home to a massive Ethric supervolcano (which houses its hold city).
Sessiz SehirThe hold city of Nearaive. It was carved out inside the massive dormant volcano, and was built to be the Dekn answer to Windecayn.
GalliptisA desert region which is home to many a Dekn settlement.
LaenThe hold city of Galliptis. Originally founded as an U.M.E.E.C. base, it grew to include many amenities, and has become a popular tourist destination for Dekn and humans alike.
- Mega-Corp: The U.M.E.E.C. is this (in addition to being a space exploration company).
SyrinthA frozen wasteland. It has no hold city, and contains only a few small towns.
- Endless Winter: The region is stuck in this, due to a failed experiment that leached away its heat (creating the region of Vinlar).