This is the character page for the cast of ARIA.
Warning! There are light spoilers for The Natural onward!
- Voiced by: Erino Hazuki (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (English)
The main character. An immigrant from Japan, Manhome who comes to Aqua to become an Undine. Normally shown as a very cheerful person. Has a strange tendency to draw supernatural phenomena to her.
- She frequently pronounces "hai!" as "hahi!".
- She also tends to go "Ehhhh?" a lot, especially in response to Aika's own admonishing Catchphrase. Aika immediately knows something is wrong when Akira doesn't respond with that.
- In one episode/chapter, Aika claims Akari tends to get distracted and say "Ah, suteki!" which means "oh, it's wonderful," or more contextually, "Ooh, that's neat!" but this isn't really shown in practice, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Does Not Like Shoes: Even though she has galoshes, Akari prefers to go barefoot when she's wading through the waterlogged streets, mostly because she enjoys the cold sensation of the water and the stone paving under her feet. Should one galosh slip off in the water, she's more inclined to pull the other one off and leave them off.
- Earthy Barefoot Character: She loves going barefoot and interacting with the ground. She even got Akatsuki to take his shoes off and join her on a barefooted outing on Aqua Alta, which is simply adorable.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Akatsuki likes to call her "Momiko" (Sideburns) for her side locks, which she very much doesn't like (especially when he pulls on them).
- Friend to All Living Things: Not only does she befriend nearly every human she meets, but several animals and even a snow bug as well. She even feels sorry for some chocolate candies that won't get eaten because they got dropped onto the ground! Cranked Up to Eleven, even her gondola (in the form of an elderly man) put an umbrella over her, and if you believe her idea of who Cait Sith is, the entire spirit world of Aqua looks after her. In short, friend to all living things, and many NON-living things to boot.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails: Really more of side locks, but everyone treats them like pigtails anyway and her Embarrassing Nickname (in one English translation) refers to them as such.
- I Knew It!: In-Universe, her exclamation when she confirms that Cait Sith is the conductor on the Galaxy Express railway.
- Love Freak: Probably everyone's trait, but it's especially apparent with Akari.
- Meaningful Name: Mizunashi can be roughly translated to "no water" in English, which is fitting for a girl who came from an Earth without a lot of water.
- The Mentor: Eventually becomes this for Ai in both continuities.
- Not Like Other Girls: In one extra chapter, Akatsuki comments on how mature and less frivolous he thinks Akari is in comparison to the other girls he knows.
- Pen Pals: Every chapter, Akari writes to a secret penpal about her life's events. Her penpal is Ai in the anime, but it's left ambiguous whether it was a specific person or a public blog in the manga.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her "sideburns" get so long by the epilogue that she's able to loop them back around into a ponytail! How she doesn't catch her oar in those loops is anyone's guess.
- Red Baron: "Aquamarine" is her Prima alias.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: The poster girl of the trope. Her pink hair matches perfectly with her cheerful, sweet and naive personality.
- She Is All Grown Up: In the anime she's the only one out of her and her two friends that's shown after reaching adulthood. In the manga she's the last one to be shown.
- Ship Tease: With Akatsuki, but also with Alicia, so much that Alicia's unexpected marriage outraged quite a few yuri fans.
- Tearful Smile: When Alicia "disappeared" after she told Akari she planned to retire.
- Weirdness Magnet: During her time on Aqua she attracts quite a few supernatural entities by either being obliviously nice or just happening to run into them. Not only does she run into the Cats on a regular basis, she's also seen ghosts, unusual Aquan life, and even Youkai.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
One of the three Water Fairies, Akari's tutor. Current manager of ARIA Company. She's known by the title "Snow White", and is currently the most popular Undine in the city.
- But Now I Must Go: After Akari becomes a Prima, she suddenly reveals that she'll leave Aria Company. She had promised the Gondola Association she would accept a job with them after training an Undine capable of inheriting the Aria company.
- Catchphrase: "Ara ara" ("well well/My my"), usually followed by a giggle, emphasizing her easy-going nature. They note she'd more likely say that than scold someone. They're right.
- Improbable Age: Her reputation as a Living Legend was earned by becoming the former youngest Prima Undine at 15. For reference, that was how old Akari was when she first started; it was reported that Alicia rose up the ranks in only her first year of training.
- Onee-sama: So very much.
- Passing the Torch: After constant requests for her to become a manager and representative in the Gondola Association, Alicia only agreed to do it if she could find and train a Prima fit to run Aria in her stead. Akari ended up being that girl.
- Quitting to Get Married: Subverted in the end. Akari's promotion to Prima, along with her fiancé setting up for marriage and the Gondola Association wanting her in a rep job, puts Alicia in quite a tight bind. After giving it much thought, she puts an end to her long and successful career as an Undine...but she still has the rep job at current, so she's at least in the field she knows best.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: "Snow White" is her Prima alias.
- Ship Tease: With Akari, most prominently in the Arietta OVA.
- Shipper on Deck: She quite likes the idea of Akatsuki/Akari, often trying to get the former to do things for the latter and assuming that he actually has a crush on the girl.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Does this a from time to time, though it usually happens in the later chapters rather than the earlier ones.
- Troll: As expected of this show, it is played very lightly and not malicious at all, but she has her moments.
- Voiced by: Yoshiko Matsuo (Japanese), Karen Smith (English)
Better known as Grandma. Legendary Undine and the founder of ARIA Company. Originally she's from Himeya Company, but break off after meeting with President Aria. Currently lives in countryside.
- Alliterative Name: Akino Ametsuchi.
- Call to Agriculture: After her retirement, Akino moved out to the Aquan countryside and pretty much stays there until called for ceremonies.
- I Was Quite a Looker: She aged very badly, to say the least.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: Shrunk considerably between her working as an Undine and now.
- Phrase Catcher: All of Alicia's "My Mys" and laughter seems to have come from her.
- Start My Own: When she was still a part of Himeya, she met President Aria and followed him to the harbor where ARIA company would later be built. Sometime later we see that she left Himeya to start up Aria by herself, and was its only member for a time.
Originally an anime-only character, Ai is Akari's customer in the first episode of the anime (in place of an old man in the equivalent manga story), and serves as the character that Akari corresponds with in place of her unknown readers in the manga. Gets Canon Immigrant treatment in the last chapter of the manga.
- Alliterative Name: Aino Ai.
- The Apprentice: Serves as one to Akari.
- Canon Immigrant: While her actual on-panel time was rather short, she did make it in as Akari's successor and is seen in quite a few official manga illustrations compared to the other apprentices.
- Cheerful Child
- Constantly Curious: Naturally for someone who doesn't live on Aqua, Ai has many questions. In the New Year episode, she finally gets to meet the rest of the main cast and likes to ask them personal questions concerning the things Akari wrote to her about.
- Last Episode, New Character: In the manga.
- Penpals: After Ai leaves Aqua when her vacation ends, Akari starts sending updates to her through letters starting from The Animation episode 2 onward. She acts in place of the faceless "other" of Akari's letters from the manga.
- She Is All Grown Up: While she doesn't appear to physically grow during the 6 earth years that the series covers, that changes in the epilogue and the Avvenire OVAs.
- Weirdness Magnet: Appears to be following in Akari's footsteps of attracting the supernatural to her, lampshaded by her companions. This is also illustrated in that she is the only one aside from Akari to actually see Cait Sith at Carnivale (anime only).
Grandma's apprentice before Alicia. Left the company after Alicia became Prima. Currently has a family.
- Voiced by: Chinami Nishimura (Japanese), Tara Tisch-Wallace (English)
ARIA Company's president. A Martian cat that Akino met, and with whom she founded ARIA Company.
- Acrofatic: While he can get around just fine, Aria is much heftier than other cats seen in the story, and the cast had made a point of establishing his soft protruding belly as his defining physical trait. He's become a very spoiled cat due to Alicia's coddling and the large amount of food he eats daily. That said, he's a very active feline.
- Big Eater: He really loves to eat, making him chubby.
- Buffoonish Tomcat: His ill-fated attempts to woo Hime and constantly being bitten by Maa cement him as the series' comic relief and Butt-Monkey.
- Cat Smile
- Hopeless Suitor: He's rather sweet on Hime, but she won't indulge in his affections.
- The Load: Even his focus episode is based around how much he gets in the way.
- Nice Hat: Usually wears ARIA Company's trademark hat. If not that, he'll usually wear some kind of hat that pertains to the subject matter of the episode.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Of all of the cat companions, Aria is really the only one that is consistently shown accompanying Akari during her focus stories.
- Precocious Crush: The subject of Maa-kun's, as it turns out. He doesn't know about it mainly because Maa likes to bite his tummy and bother him.
- Really 700 Years Old: Stays with the company for 20 years (read: 40 Manhome years) and he doesn't look any different at all.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: He's got the big eyes, cute noises, cuddly physique and sweet attitude to qualify for this.
Daughter of the owner of Himeya and its heir, and Akari's first friend on Aqua. Has a crush on Alicia and later Al.
- Cry Cute: She's most prone to this out of the entire cast. Half the time, it's Played for Laughs.
- Girlish Pigtails: For the first half of the series.
- Huge Girl, Tiny Guy: Has this dynamic with Al the Gnome. Naturally, the reverse is true in the genderbend chapter.
- Important Haircut: She used to have long hair, as she wanted to be like Alicia. However, after she accidentally got it burned at a cookout, she had to cut it short. At the same time she realised that it was better if she was her own person, and cuts it even shorter to signify the attitude change. However, she still looks up to Alicia as a role model.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Though a very light version.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: She often says something like "__________ is/are not allowed!". Most commonly, "Embarrassing remarks are not allowed!", or in the original Japanese, "Hazukashii serifu kinshi!", often several times an episode.
- Meaningful Name: Grantchester is a village upriver of Cambridge, England, and a popular destination for summer punting trips.
- Mood-Swinger: Aika can swing between energetic, down-to-earth, lovestruck and crybaby pretty convincingly.
- Ojou: It's easy to forget, but Aika is Himeya's young heiress and has the attitude to match. She's rather humble about it, all things considered.
- Red Baron: "Rosen Queen" is her Prima alias.
- Something About a Rose: Like Akira, she also has a rose motif. Her company's colors are a deep rose red, she inspired Akira with a metaphor involving rose petals, and her Prima name, like Akira, is based on roses.
- Stalker with a Crush: In the beginning of the series, she exhibits this toward Alicia.
- Tsundere: A type B. She's fussy and tries to play up a mature air, but when she's touched or wants to be more affectionate she's rather shy about it or tells off people for saying mushy stuff.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (Japanese), Carol Jacobanis (English)
One of the three Water Fairies, Aika's tutor. She's known by the title of "Crimson Rose" for her conversation skill with customers. Tomboyish enough that she can be considered as The Lad-ette.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is tall, beautiful, has a number of admirers, mostly female, and behaves in a composed lady-like manner. In front of customers, anyway.
- Catchphrase: She often shouts "Suwa!" when the Undines practicing make a mistake.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Accused of being one, but she's really not that bad... maybe.
- Even the Girls Want Her: The anime continuity asserts that she's most popular with lady customers when on the job. Episode 6 of The Animation shows Ameri, a new bride on her honeymoon, being very infatuated with her until she sees her stricter side when training the girls.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Averted. The only reason she's able to be one of the Water Fairies is because she works really hard. As she said, she has no notable talents like her friends Alicia or Athena have, so hard work is all she can do to make up for it. Her hard work eventually pays off once she's able to become the top Prima after Alicia's retirement.
- The Lad-ette: Off the job, she has nearly all the traits of a Ladette except the drinking part — she can barely hold any liquor, especially compared to Alicia, who can down massive amounts. As a child, she was even more of one, earning the respect of Akatsuki and Woody after they play together under the assumption that she was a boy.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: When she was more of a Tomboy, she looked exactly like a regular little boy to the point where strangers were convinced she was one.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: "Crimson Rose" is her Prima alias.
- Stern Teacher: Akira is regarded as this, but she's also a very good one.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Alicia's Girly Girl.
- Tomboyish Name: While it's not rare to see girls named Akira in Japan, the name is more associated with boys. Considering Akira's boyish personality, her name suits her well.
- Voiced by: Ryoko Shiraishi (Japanese)
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto. Quite a cheerful person.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Well, more normal. She doesn't even want to be a Prima at all.
- Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi
Himeya's president. A cat from Manhome. Quite aloof. President Aria has a crush on her.
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese)
Aika's apprentice in The Avvenire.
- Beauty Mark: Beneath her left eye.
- Girlish Pigtails: Low-hanging ones.
- Flat-Earth Atheist: Subverted. She initially pretends to think Ai is weird for seeking Cait Sith, but after she admits to doing so, she immediately joins in the search because she wants to join in the kinds of adventures Akari had that Aika had told her about.
- Voiced by: Ryo Hirohashi (Japanese), Tarrah Tisch-Wallace (English)
A trainee for Orange Planet. Is considered to be a prodigy because of her gondola skills despite the fact she is still in middle school when she is recruited. A real Deadpan Snarker.
- Adorably Precocious Child: She wants to grow up, or at least seem more mature than she lets on. However she can't let her childish tendencies go, such as making games out of her way to school or still adhering to the "good kid/bad kid" morality of the holiday season.
- Alice Allusion
- Catchphrase: She likes to prepend "dekkai" ("huge") to things. This can be translated as "really" or "quite" in most cases.
- Child Prodigy: Nearly flawless rowing skills even when still a pair. She also becomes a Prima before her seniors Akari and Aika.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She appears in the bonus chapter of Volume 2 of Aqua, Lampshaded by both Akari and Aika because her official introduction isn't until Volume 3 of Aria.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She starts out as this, but mellows out very quickly.
- Grade Skipper: In a non-academic example, she goes straight from Pair to Prima after acing her exam, in a move that Athena stresses as being unprecedented in the history of their company and a result of her unusual talent.
- Grumpy Bear: Rather sour and tries her hardest to be realistic. Her chibi face is even drawn is an eternal scowl.
- Innocent Prodigy: Although hidden under her antisocial personality and her status as a prodigy, she's still shown to have an adorably childlike naivety at times.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Lonely at the Top: While she is grateful for her new job as a Prima, she is upset that the amount of work that she now takes cuts into her time spent with friends, even having no time at all some days.
- Red Baron: "Orange Princess" is her Prima alias.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: She likes to go home from school in various creative ways, such as kicking a rock along the path or only walking on shadows. These often cross into Just a Kid territory.
- Ship Tease: With Woody (only in the manga).
- Shout-Out: Her name is a reference to Lewis Carroll and Alice in Wonderland.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Quite antisocial on the surface.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Although even with that, she's still 14 and it shows.
One of the three Water Fairies, Alice's tutor. She's known by the title of "Siren" for her beautiful singing voice. Very clumsy, but rather insightful when the chips are down.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: While Athena generally has silver or light purple hair, Crepusculo makes her hair a light magenta.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Beautiful Singing Voice: Her most notable trait, and the source of her Prima moniker. While Athena may be clumsy in a number of ways, the one thing she excels at above all else is the conte. By the epilogue, she retires as a Prima and begins a promising career as a professional opera singer.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Even more so than Akari.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: The white haired variation of the trope, but still applies.
- Easy Amnesia: Athena suffers a mild case of amnesia after slipping on a banana peel in Orange Planet. She faked it in order to learn what Alice thinks of her.
- Genius Ditz / Obfuscating Stupidity: Is actually capable of not making mistakes, but usually doesn't bother when she's not on the job because it's "too tiring".
- Rapunzel Hair: While she alone of the three Water Fairies has short hair, in the Distant Finale she grows it out. In the commentary for Crepuscolo, the character designer was under the impression that her hair was a wig, so it may be subverted in the anime continuity.
- Red Baron: "Siren" is her Prima alias.
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto.
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Japanese)
One of the trainees that Akari met when she works at Traghetto. Very shy.
- Determinator: Has failed the Prima exam several times, but hasn't given up yet.
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (Japanese), Greg Schettino (English)
Orange Planet's president. Originally found as a stray by Alice, who picks her up to take care of. Has a habit of biting President Aria's belly.
- Identical Stranger: She was largely picked up because of her resemblance to Orange Planet's now-deceased former president.
- Verbal Tic Name: Like many instances of this trope, it's the sounds she makes that inspired the name. She only is able to say "Maa" whenever she speaks.
- Precocious Crush: Has one on President Aria, as revealed during the vet chapter.
- Your Tomcat Is Pregnant: Was thought by Alice to be a male cat until the vet reveals this fact. Without the pregnancy, though.
Alice's apprentice in The Avvenire.
- Glorious Mother Russia: Averted. She has a Russian surname and references Sibera, but doesn't actually know anything about her origins due to being born and raised on Aqua.
He works in one of the floating islands as a Salamander, controlling weather on the planet. Has a crush on Alicia. Akari's first customer.
- By the Hair: His dynamic with Akari. It often involves him grabbing her locks to get her attention, much to her frustration.
- Childhood Friends: He and Woody go way back, and they were neighbors and playmates during their childhood. They still occasionally get together and hang out.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Alicia; he is one in a sea of her admirers, and every attempt to woo her goes awry somehow. In addition she is under the assumption that he likes Akari (he does a bit, just not consciously) and often tries to push the two together.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Akari "Pigtails", Aika "Gachapen", and Ayanokouji "Woody".
- Perpetual Frowner: While he's not a glum person, he's never seen without his signature grumpy face.
- Samurai Ponytail: Usually styles his hair this way.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With his older brother. Where Akatsuki is slim and smooth-faced, his brother is fat and sports a goatee. Akatsuki also handles a demanding physical job, while his brother appears to deal with business interactions. Finally, Aktasuki is a bit of a serious grump, while his brother can be lively and laidback.
- Ship Tease: With Akari, even though he repeatedly states how much he loves Alicia. He becomes more blatantly in love with her as the years go by.
- Stalker with a Crush: Mild version for Alicia, mind you.
Better known as Woody, he works as Sylph, an airbike courier delivering goods in a city without streets. Has quite a bad sense of direction.
- Anime Hair: Notable for being one of the few characters to have really crazy looking hair, with his spiked bangs and ponytail.
- Eye Glasses: Both as a kid and as an adult, Woody is seen with a set of round goggles that pretty much act like his regular eyes.
- Nonstandard Character Design: While he is proportional like everyone else, his hairstyle, his lack of eyebrows, and his exaggerated and nearly unchanging face make Woody look very different from the rest of the cast.
- No Sense of Direction: His first appearence has him lose a map and need Akari's help to navigate the city.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His surname Udo is corrupted into Woody and that's what he goes by most of the time.
- Pair the Spares: Despite not sharing as much screen time with Alice, he often gets ship moments with her in the last leg of the series.
- Transplant: It's either this or he's a descendant of Ayanokohji Udo from Amano's earlier work Roman Club, considering that they have same name, look, and even personality.
- Verbal Tic: He tends to end his sentences with "no da" or "nano da".
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (Japanese), Graham Halstead (English)
A young man working as a Gnome, people who works in gravity control system underground. Aika has a crush on him.
- Don't Explain the Joke: His puns are usually met with long silences or annoyance, prompting him to try to explain their meaning.
- Huge Girl, Tiny Guy: Has this dynamic with Aika, and it still holds true in the genderbending chapter.
- Meaningful Name: His surname, Pitt, is this for him essentially working and living in a giant pit.
- Older Than They Look: Looks like a cute little boy, even though he's 18. From what we see of the Gnomes in general, it's probably just a side effect of living underground.
- Pun: He often makes "old man" jokes with these. They're so old (and originally from Manhome) that he has to explain them every time.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: Short for his age and sex, at least up until the epilogue where he's seen with a sudden growth spurt.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Happens every now and then.
- Voiced by: Motomu Kiyokawa (Japanese), Mike Pollock (English)
Better known as Mr. Postman, as Akari calls him. Works for the Neo-Venezia post office and becomes Akari's first customer. His name is not revealed until near the end of the series.
A mysterious Aquan cat that appears throughout the work, especially when the supernatural is involved, to Akari especially. Is the King of the Cats of Neo-Venezia, named after the king of the cats of Scottish folklore, and it is strongly suggested he is a guardian spirit of Aqua.
- The Ageless: It's implied that his appearance hasn't changed in centuries, and he has had the role of Casanova for just as long.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Akari from the ghost.
- Cat Stereotype: As the Black cat, he is often agreeable and social, and does have a tendency to pop up anywhere in Neo Venezia. He's also associated with good luck and magic.
- Classy Cravat: His normal outfit features a waistcoat and one of these, befitting his proper nature.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He appears in episode 12 of The Animation as Akari crosses the bridge to Neo Venezia's founding town. This is long before he's officially introduced in the anime.
- Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better: Of all the cats shown, he's the only one that is ever shown walking like a Biped. It helps him stand out as the most unusual of the magical cats on Aqua.
- Guardian Entity: Considered one for Neo Venezia.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: While he is plenty classy in his normal outfit, he neglects to wear pants.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: During Carnivale, he's in the guise of Casanova, one of the largest and most popular characters of the parade. Nobody suspects a thing.
- Invisible to Adults: Urban Legends say that only kids will be able to see Cait Sith, and lose the ability when they finally mature.
- Mega Neko
- The Seven Mysteries: Is actually considered one himself, due to meeting him being an extremely rare event. Akari just got lucky and experienced it 6 times.
- Tsurime Eyes: He is drawn with rather sleek eyes compared to most cats, making him look more mature and wise.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Stands out among the important Aquan cats for having these, as opposed to the blue one would expect out of especially magical cats.