Back to the characters page.
The infamous black and red Ultimate Lifeform. He was created for the purpose of finding a cure for a deadly neurological disorder called NIDS, which was killing the granddaughter of his creator, Gerald Robotnik. Imbued with the chaos power of a race of aliens known as the Black Arms, as well as speed granted by his rocket shoes, he is able to go toe-to-toe with Sonic. Brooding, melancholy, quiet, yet surprisingly kind; Shadow is less of a lone wolf than in the video game, also less of a Broken Ace, relying on his friends and rivals for support.
- Adaptation Personality Change: Shadow is a good bit more hotheaded than his SEGA counterpart. His pouting is also a lot more frequent and a lot more comedic. He's also a good bit less egotistical.
- Adaptational Wimp: Its downplayed and played straight, as he's still pretty clearly one of the most powerful beings in the setting(Post Genesis Wave), but a bit toned down so he's not an Invincible Hero (Like say, his Anime incarnation)
- Adaptational Badass: Inverted, Shadow is the most targeted of Sonic's teasings out of any continuity and is not as strong or as equally competent solo wise as he is in the games. He can rival Sonic, but also has Badass Decay follow him when fighting characters like Knuckles and most Sonic villans outside of Team Dark plots. Plus the Megaman/Sonic crossover was not the most pleasant to the Ultimate Lifeform.
- The Ageless: He's physically 16 years old, and he's going to look like that for the rest of his life.
- Anti-Hero: He may be heroic but he has no qualms about hitting women or weaker foes, and is probably the most violently impulsive character that isn't crazy. Or Omega.
- Badass Biker: Owns his own motorcycle issued by GUN. Even though it's pointed out that he doesn't really need it, he still takes good care of it.
- Badass Boast:Shadow: "Deny me all you want but with this emerald, even a god must bow to the ultimate life form!"Shadow: "I am Shadow the Hedgehog. I am the union of ideals dark and benign but ultimately built in the name of love. I am the ultimate life form. I am the protector of mobius. Run home to your master and tell him. This is who i am!"
- Berserk Button: When he and Knuckles fight in Part 3 of Total Eclipse, Knuckles mentions that Sonic puts up a better fight. Shadow proceeded to Teleport Spam him for a few panels.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: While under the (brief) control of Black Death.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: With Hope pre-genesis wave.
- Butt-Monkey: Shadow gets teased more than his game counterpart pointing out his angsty grump side as humor. Although this also happens a few times in the games, Shadow was more rational about while here he's a bit more hot-headed. Plus he's not as strong or independent in stomping on stronger oponents or enemies like Feist or ADAM and needs help to bring them down.
- Character Development: After discovering his true purpose to be a loyal protector of the planet Mobius, this really changes Shadow. Though his methods are still questionable and often extreme, he has become more and more virtuous and heroic as time goes by; he also becomes much more compassionate, although his compassion is awfully nuanced.
- Combat Pragmatist: When spin dashing and chaos powers don't do the job, he'll bash you with a hammer.
- The Comically Serious: His extremely uptight and serious personality is poked fun at by various characters, mainly Sonic and Rouge. Althrough this also happens in the games, he's far less cool-headed about it.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: As noted by the Off-Panels, he is very serious and hasn't aged in 50 years.Shadow: What do you expect? New jokes?
- Demoted to Extra: Despite his massive popularity in the general video game cannon, Shadows has trouble being a highly promoted character and even a massively importantly player in general sonic arcs. Characters like Amy, Knuckles and Tails remain the iconic core cast of Sonic Adventures for the majority of Sonic based plots despite Shadow being more popular than them. His arcs and stories in general are fanservice fanfiction(with other sonic characters) rather than objectively larger than life action plots, involving more serious threats, bigger scope villains, and High amounts of serious toned story development fitting his dark tone.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He's the only survivor of the massacre aboard the Space Colony Ark.
- Flanderization: Downplayed but still inverted, he's a lot more prone to fits of anger than in the games proper, where it takes a lot to get him to that point, he's also less cool headed and shows insecurity about being strong unlike his game self who always asserts himself with a resolute composure and a indifference towards being out done but still anticipates a fight to win to regain some pride.
- The Dragon: Was one for Eggman before his HeelFace Turn.
- The Dreaded: Pretty much nobody that's not Sonic or Knuckles want to take him on. Scourge opted to flee than to fight him head on, and even Eggman is afraid of him.
- Good Is Not Nice: The extremity of some of his efforts borders out and out villainous on occasion, but unlike his game self he feels remorse for his actions and tries to mitigate them.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Shadow would bounce around from hero to villain; his lack of direction in life ironically reflecting the writers wondering what to do with him. Since Sonic Adventure 2 played out, he started as a villain, became neutral, then helped out Sonic and fought Eggman, and then went to work for Eggman. Eventually Shadow settled in as a face working with GUN.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Did this once, and would have done it twice if not for Sonic stopping him despite his complete willingness to.
- Immortal Immaturity: He's biologically 16, and he acts like it. So he pouts. A lot.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Far from being the friendliest character in the series, but he means well and values his companions.
- Ki Attacks: His Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast.
- Large Ham: He's much sillier than you would expect, at least compared from the games to the comics.
- Lightning Bruiser: Ties with Sonic as one of the most lethally fast and strong characters. Add Chaos Powers and direct access to the Chaos Force for maximum effect.
- Multicoloured Quills: Black with red streaks.
- My Greatest Failure: His first storyline in Sonic Universe, he takes it hard that he couldn't save Metal Sonic nor E-102 Gamma from their fates and piles it on after Feist outwits him and Rouge in getting a Chaos Emerald.
- Not So Above It All: He might be as fast as Sonic, but he has a personal motorcycle that he really enjoys and maintains.
- No Sense of Humor: Shadow has a hard time understanding humor. Most notably, he is too entirely serious-minded to understand when people are making are making fun of or outright mocking him, making it hard to actually successfully crack a joke at his expense.
- Only Sane Man: Usually plays this role in Team Dark.
- Perpetual Frowner: It's more of a pout.
- Power Limiter: The rings around his arms which keeps his power in check. Once they come off, hit the deck. He only uses them for Last Resort cases however.
- Pragmatic Hero: Definitely not afraid to make unpopular decisions for the greater good. Best shown in the Total Eclipse arc when he tries to take custody of the Master Emerald rationalizing that its safer away from Angel Island during the current crisis. Naturally, Knuckles makes his objections pretty clear a few moments later.
- Pride: Carries this from the games but unlike the games(He's more level headed and composed), doesn't seem to hold well for him forcing him to anger and frustration. It allows him to lose focus on important matters while making irrational decisions and making grave mistakes.
- Really 50 Years Old: He's simultaneously younger and older than he looks. He was created more than 50 years before the present, but spent those years in cryogenic stasis, keeping him youthful. At the same time, he was engineered as a fully-grown organism, which means that, if you only count the years he wasn't in stasis, he acts and looks a lot older than he chronologically is.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He can give some really nasty looks.
- Signature Moves: Chaos Control and Chaos Spear.
- The Rival: Lampshaded by Knuckles when Sonic was trashing the Chaotix. Sonic personally thinks he's a better opponent than Knuckles.
- The Stoic: Not as much in the games but pretty quiet and reserved.
- Smug Super: All but a few characters can manage to get Shadow impressed in battle prowess compared to his own, even then for better or worse he remains assured in himself being stronger than anybody.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Feels obligated to help innocents and allies when he can, but he (usually) doesn't mind doing terrible things to accomplish his goals.
- Super Mode: Super Shadow as usual.
- Super Speed: Equal to Sonic and Scourge.
- Troubled, but Cute: Again, the pouting.
- Tsundere: Jesus Christ is he ever this, particularly to Sonic and Rouge.
- Tsurime Eyes: They go hand in hand with his Perpetual Frowner attitude.
- Ultimate Life Form: Naturally.
- The Unfettered: Tries his best to be this, but his better nature prevails.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Frequently.
- Worf Effect: He might as well be the Wolverine of this series. He gets his butt kicked more than he broods and Amy of all people managed to land a hit on him.
- Would Hit a Girl/Would Hurt a Child: There's no one he won't rough up.◊ Kill, on the other hand...
- Worthy Opponent: To Sonic(and Knuckles to an extent).
A skilled jewel thief, tactician and de facto leader of the Team Dark.
- Adaptational Villainy: Was more morally dubious and self serving before the reboot, willing to screw over anything to get what she wanted.note Fortunately, the series dialed back on this once Ian took over writing duties, in which her interaction with Shadow and Omega changed her for the better. By post-reboot, she's more in line with her video game counterpart.
- Badass Normal: Aside from her flight, which is natural considering she's a bat, she has no real special abilities and is still capable of fighting guys like Knuckles to a standstill.
- Boobs of Steel: The bustiest and one of the toughest female fighters.
- Classy Cat-Burglar: A part-time job of hers.
- Combat Stilettos: She uses metal-capped stiletto shoes to augment her kick-focused fighting style.
- Dark Action Girl: She's a morally ambiguous woman with a love of theft for the sport of it and an obsession with jewels, but she's still a competent fighter.
- Deadpan Snarker: Its pretty easy to develop a dry sense of humor when your main companions are a genetic experiment with severe emotional issues and a trigger happy robot.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Her more powerful kicks involve her spinning like a drill as she flies at her target.
- Femme Fatale: She even makes fun of it sometimes.
- Girly Bruiser: She's a very classy, elegant and refined woman, who can still kick ass with the best of them and gives every sign of enjoying a chance to fight.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Despite her love of stealing and snooping, she's a good person deep down. The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia even goes so far as to say "Rouge's sass and sarcasm are a front for a truly caring, committed person. Her good side may be buried under layers of shadiness, but it's there."
- Hurricane Kick: Her signature drill kick is like a mix of this and a Spinning Piledriver.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: It emphasises her seductive style and flirtatious nature.
- Interspecies Romance: Downplayed, but she frequently expresses interest in Knuckles, flirting with him whenever the opportunity arises. The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia confirms that she's actually serious about this, rather that it being mere playfulness.
- Kick Chick: And how. Her kicks are on par with Knuckles' punches.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Post-reboot, at least. For all the small talk she made about the Master Emerald being hers, she is vehemently opposed to Shadow's decision to move the Master Emerald to a more secure location, mostly because Knuckles (who she does respect despite all appearances to the contrary) would have no say in the matter. This is quite a change in demeanor compared to her attitude pre-reboot, where she was more than willing to allow the Sol Dimension to be destroyed for the sake of Sol Emeralds.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Downplayed, but her and Knuckles' relationship is fouled by multiple factors. Firstly, she's a free-spirited world-traveling jewel thief, whilst Knuckles is tied to Angel Island as the guardian of the Master Emerald. Secondly, Knuckles has come to define himself by his status as guardian, and has no idea what he'd be without it, as shown in Sonic Universe. Finally, prior to the Super Genesis Wave, Knuckles had a Soul Mate in Julie-su, meaning Rouge's feelings could never be anything but one-sided.
- Straight Man: Plays mediator between Shadow's ridiculous brooding and grave demeanor and Omega's over the top bloodlust and need to burn things.
- Team Mom: She's usually the one to worry whenever the other two become injured and helps Shadow deal with his issues.
- The Leader: Of Team Dark being the most mature of the three.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: A prerequisite of working with her.
- The Unfettered: Unlike Shadow, she's pretty good at this.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rouge gets really upset when Shadow and Knuckles' Let's You and Him Fight moment ends up with Omega's Chaos Drive stolen along with the Master Emerald.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: In Sonic Universe #68, she confesses to Knuckles that she feels he has a lot of potential that he's just wasting by sitting around in the middle of nowhere looking after a gemstone, noting that she has her own life outside of her job, and Knuckles could have the same if he wanted.
A war machine created by Dr. Eggman, Omega is so strongly determined to reach his goals and abrasively hard-headed that he went rogue less than a day after he was activated. After learning of compassion from his "brother", Gamma, Omega joined GUN alongside Shadow and Rouge in order to do what he knows is right...and blow up as many things as he can along the way.
- Adaptation Expansion: Omega's relationship with Eggman prior to his HeelFace Turn is never shown in the games. In the comics however, he is shown to be disloyal from the start, arguing with Eggman and even attempting to refuse missions he thought were unworthy of his powers (Eggman had originally created him to destroy Sonic, however his own growing obsession with the hedgehog led to him granting Omega more menial targets). This made Omega's decision to turn on him all the more easier.
- Adaptational Jerkass: This incarnation is treated instead as a HK-47 Expy instead of the Strength Equals Worthiness modus operandi battle robot in the games.
- The Big Guy: In the games Omega is a Pint-Sized Powerhouse while in the comics he's massive, standing above the other Mobians and humans. Notably, he's taller than Gamma who dwarfed him in the games. His size is fitting as his role of "the muscle" in both Team Dark and GUN as a whole.
- Blood Knight: Thrives for battle missions, largely for the opportunity to destroy things.
- Character Exaggeration: Omega simply used violence as a means to an end in the main series games. In the comics? He tries to solve nearly all of his problems with some variation of it and he enjoys it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Compared to his original game incarnation, he's more directly comical with his gung-ho persona.
- The Comically Serious: His cold robotic demeanor mixed with his kooky, gung-ho mindset make him such.
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards Cream, though in a more restrained way than most examples.
- Fusion Dance: Unwillingly, with a wireless transmitted copy of Gamma's mind.
- Heel Realization: After Gamma transferred his mind into Omega, he's wracked with guilt over the idea of being just a walking arsenal. Shadow gives him the offer of joining G.U.N., which he accepts. Then, he tells Shadow to never mention his angsting.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Oh definitely, he shows absolute glee whenever he gets to engage in any sort of destruction and mayhem.
- Kill It with Fire: His general approach to things going wrong is to request permission to "correct with fire."
- Love at First Punch: Towards Blaze, of all people.
- More Dakka: He has cannons and machine guns mounted inside his entire body. As a result, characters repeatedly refer to him as a Walking Arsenal. Snively states that Omega has "more firepower than all of the old Badnik Horde combined." It's mentioned that half of Omega's metric ton weight is in ammunition alone.
- Pet the Dog:
Omega: Um... there-there? Please do not leak anymore? I am sorry. I was not built to comfort.
- Gets a moment in Sonic Universe #38. He finds Hope sobbing after a meeting with Snively, distraught that she would never have a normal life or family again. Omega holds her in his arms and lets her cry into his chest plate.
- Likewise was unwillingly to harm Cream during the Team Tango arc, even siding with Shadow and her against Rouge when she tried to demand Blaze give up the Sol Emeralds. Threatening to get rough if Rouge tries to make Cream cry.
- Replacement Goldfish: How Commander Tower saw him — he wanted the more nimble and precise E-102 Gamma, but circumstances lead him to take up Omega instead.
- The Only One I Trust: Omega admits that Rouge and Shadow are the "only meat-bags that I tolerate...trust."
- Token Evil Teammate: Ok, not "evil" per se, but more like "extremely mentally unstable teammate"
- Trigger Happy: Will constantly look for any excuse to start shooting, in any situation. Even janitor duty.
Commander of GUN. He had animosity towards Shadow in the past because of the events of Shadow the Hedgehog, but softened when Shadow proved his loyalty to Earth and humanity and allowed him to join GUN as part of Team Dark. There may be some lingering distrust, though...
- Da Chief: This should go without saying.
- Internal Reformist: The Encyclopedia noted that Tower wasn't from the Federation but from Overland. As a child Tower witnessed GUN's actions kill Maria and developed a hatred for both them and Shadow who he blamed for having brought the disaster down on them. Tower would join the Overland military and later move to the Federation, joining GUN and clamping down on its more reckless and dangerous elements.
- Mismatched Eyes: Tower has heterochromia, with one brown eye and one green eye.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Played With. While he didn't directly name the Commander after a single famous person, Ian Flynn chose the name Abraham to invoke a sense of authority that the name comes from like the President or the Biblical figure.
- Named by the Adaptation: Only ever called the "G.U.N. Commander" in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Properly Paranoid: In the new universe, despite Snively's claims that he's loyal to G.U.N and there's no proof to suggest otherwise. He still keeps a close eye on him as he feels Snively isn't being entirely truthful since someone that was on Eggman's side doesn't just "walk away".
- Took a Level in Kindness: In Shadow the Hedgehog, Commander Tower was more than willing to try to turn Shadow into a smear on the wall along with the Black Arms. Here, he's caught off-guard when Shadow approaches him looking to work with G.U.N. and accepts him.
- The Nicknamer: He's the one who first refers to the Shadow-Rouge-Omega team as "Team Dark"
New Universe Characters (Post-Genesis Wave)
A ranking member of G.U.N. and Captain of the United Federation Air Fleet ship Letter of Gabriel. She is related to Commander Tower in some manner that hasn't been explained fully.
- Cool Airship: Is in command of a very impressive United Federation flying battleship, one certainly made to duke it out with Eggman's marauding forces.
- The Rest Shall Pass: Her air fleet does all crisis relief and civilian protection, not just for their own country, but others that have been upset by the shattering of the world. This is why Sonic and his crew can focus on fixing the world without being tied up with protecting people on an individual basis.
An agent of G.U.N. She is a member of the C.L.I.P. division, which is in charge of internal affairs.
- Composite Character: She's a fusion of unused Sonic characters Madonna, as well as Topaz from Sonic X.
- Ms. Exposition: As an interrogator, she reviews Snively's sketchy history with G.U.N. and Eggman, not merely over a catastrophic emerald-related failure, but also to explain some Post-Genesis Wave history to the audience.
Formerly Eggman's assistant, his history was changed with the new timeline where he left Eggman following the Angel Island incident (a.k.a Sonic 3 and Knuckles). He joined G.U.N sometime afterwards.
See Eggman Empire
Old Universe Characters (Pre-Genesis Wave)
Characters from the original universe before issue #252. These characters most likely are permanently erased from the new timeline thanks to the Super Genesis Wave. And also because of the Penders lawsuit.
Daughter of Colin Kintobor Sr. and half-sister of Snively. Severed all ties with Snively due to his obsession with ruling the world.
- Aborted Arc: Slightly, but there was one going on in the background with Snively and her and the growing animosity between them. Thanks to the reboot, the most resolution we go was Hope disowning Snively as her family when he tries to pull a We Can Rule Together offer. Likewise if Hope would ever attempt to go back to New Mobotropolis.
- The Atoner: For the entire Kintobor line.
- Beware the Nice Ones: After her Hope Spot dashed in Universe 38 and realising Snively's intentions, she smacks him hard in the face and angrily disowns him and vows to bring him down. A livid Snively responds by labelling her a stupid, ungrateful brat who would never stand a chance up against him. She proves otherwise with her new weaponry, making clear he can either get out of her life forever or be turned into char. Before then during Eggman attack on New Mobotroplios, she arrived by herself in a aircraft and holding her own against the Eggman forces while scolding Snively for his actions and feeling she could never show her face to the Freedom Fighters anymore because she trusted his word.
- Hope Spot: No pun intended. Sonic Universe #38 has Snively describing a scenario to run away with him and Regina Ferrum that feels like the ideal family life Hope wants, only for Snively to reveal that it's just an attempt to band together to take over the world.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She's not happy to be just a scientist in GUN's employ. Her final encounter with Snively in Sonic Universe #38 forces her to realize that she'll never be more than that, leading to the Pet the Dog moment with Omega.
- Meaningful Name: Basically the last living Kibotor who wasn't obsessed with world domination. I.E the only "hope" in the family.
- Morality Pet: To Shadow and, to a limited extent, Snively.
- My Greatest Failure: She listened to Snively and went to explore the other human civilizations around the time Eggman and Snively razed Knothole. As such, she feels that she can't return to New Mobotropolis.
- Put on a Bus: Due to the Penders Lawsuit, Hope has been removed from the comic for good. note
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: To Maria. Despite this, Hope is not an expy, having appeared months before Sonic Adventure 2 was released.
- Wrench Wench: Runs in the family.