open/close all folders
A teacher at the IDA Academy who specializes in "battle theory". Formerly a mediocre fighter, she has suddenly taken on a very fierce attitude which has garnered her some infamy.
- Defeat Means Playable: Like the other Chance Encounter units, Cerrine must be fought several times, with her fifth defeat adding her to your roster.
- Dominatrix: Her use of a whip, elegant but stern looks and love to inflict pain on her opponents and students (and, funnily enough, not minding that much being on the receiving side) gives this vibe. Not surprising since she was a mob boss before impersonating her sister.
- The Glasses Come Off: As she prepares to fight each time, she removes her glasses. The glasses are purely aesthetic and she can see perfectly without them — they're a keepsake of her dead twin sister.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: She uses a whip in battle, but since that weapon class is not available in-game, her specific weapon is fists. Almost all her attacks, including her normal attack, are piercing rather than blunt to reflect the use of her whip.
- My Sibling Will Live Through Me: She decided to impersonate her sister in order to look after her students, since the original Cerrine was concerned about abandoning her students.
- Puzzle Boss: After 3 turns in-battle, she imposes a task on the player on top of adding buffs and debuffs to her and the party respectively. Failing to accomplish the objective in 3 turns results in a party-wide earth attack before being forced to repeat the same task. Completing the task causes her to impose a different one, and each subsequent fight leads to her adding more tasks until the final battle.
- Retired Outlaw: The fake Cerrine took the helm of one of Elzion's biggest criminal outfits in her teenage years and didn't gave up her seat until her sister's death. She still has lots of sway over her former associates.
- That Man Is Dead: She outright refuses to tell Aldo what her original name was before the Twin Switch, prefering that Aldo stick with calling her Cerrine.
- Turns Red: Once the player has completed all her tasks in her final battle, or has sufficiently reduced her HP, she gets serious and uses a more dangerous attack pattern.
- Twin Switch: Her final character quest reveals that the current Cerrine is her older twin sister, taking the previous Cerrine's place after her unfortunate death. The stark differences in the sisters is the reason for her personality shift.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: She threatens with her whip at the slightest provocations, without any sense of tact.
IDA Academy's top student and a member of IDEA, Claude is the last heir of the royal family of a now fallen country. As he wants to be a king and resurrect his country one day, he always acts as the model student.
- Berserk Button: Powerful people who prey on the weak or refuse to use their abilities for good rile him up pretty bad.
- Large Ham: Coming from a time where royalty doesn't really exist anymore, Claude feels the need to act kingly as much as possible.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Number Two: While he doesn't officialy hold this position in IDEA, he's Isuka's most staunch supporter and her partner during their investigations.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Even if he is only technically a king, Claude nevers shys away from his duties as an IDEA member or a student, believing being king means putting yourself at the service of his subjects.
A student at the IDA Academy and daughter of a legendary warrior. Foran has a rebellious streak and a strong sense of justice, likely due to her upbringing and lineage.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Her reaction to be confessed to is to insist the guy beat her in combat first. While she only said that because she panicked, Foran admits that she really wouldn't be happy with a guy that couldn't match her.
- Archaic Weapon for an Advanced Age: How she sees using a spear in Elzion, where ray guns and other advanced weapons are common. It doesn't have any influence gameplay-wise.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her top leaves her navel exposed.
- Custom Uniform: Wears a Sailor Fuku instead of the blazer uniform most of the other IDA students wear.
- Joshikousei: She's a student wearing a Sailor Fuku.
- Raised by Grandparents: Her grandmother raised her. Foran claims she is very strict and tried to talk her out of following in her father's footsteps, causing her to double down on her spear training.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She had bad experiences with her grandmother's cat, which makes her refuse to go near cats even while trying to help her friend find their lost cat.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Foran wears thigh-high socks with her uniform.
Isuka is the head of the IDA Academy's student council, and for good reason — she stays calm no matter what the situation and excels in nearly every aspect. She is clearly pursuing something, but what it could be is unknown.
- The Ace: One of the best students at the Academy. Even the other elites in the student council look up to her. This image is exaggerated and turned on the party in IDA School Part 2, where Mayu's admiration for Isuka creates a nigh-invulnerable dream duplicate, much to Isuka's annoyance.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies in her case. This acts as a subtle clue of her importance in Mayu's Dream World.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She's the head of IDEA and fully capable of fighting on the field.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Her Another Style trades her IDEA uniform for a long cocktail dress.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: She uses a sheathed style when fighting with her katana.
- Nerves of Steel: Not even being suddenly summoned by Aldo can faze her.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Dream Isuka has red eyes and a permanent smirk.
- Support Party Member: Her attack skills aren't outstanding, since they are single-hit and aren't very good for charging or extending the Another Force bar. However, her Valor Chant provides a powerful debuff to both PWR and INT, making her excellent for survival when used well. Her another Style takes it up a notch by allowing her to switch between different stances, giving various buffs to ther allies depending on the stance used.
A student at the IDA school in Elzion. He's got an attitude problem, but he deeply cares for his sister and would do anything to save her.
- Abusive Parents: His father was a scientist who subjected him to cruel experiments. When Jade escaped, his father made his wife and daughter into his new test subjects.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: His outfit is very asymmetrical, but his walking sprite is the same whether he's facing right or left. This results in things his bag strap switching which shoulder it's slung over.
- Big Brother Instinct: He really wants to rescue his sister, even after she pushes him away.
- Ineffectual Loner: He insists on doing everything alone, but this doesn't work out great for him. He learns his lesson and accepts Aldo's help.
- I Work Alone: He rebuffs Aldo's offer to help because the last person who agreed to help him died.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's very cold, but he cares a lot about his sister Saki. The plot of his episode is kicked off when she gets into serious danger.
- Mystical White Hair: He has white hair.
Mighty is a student at the IDA Academy. However, if it weren't for the uniform, it would be hard to tell, because he prefers sleeping. He's been said to wander the streets at night.
- Cannot Dream: He lost the ability to have dreams of his own to protect himself from the Nightmares he hunts.
- Charged Attack: His Another Style has a Meditation skill, where he goes to sleep for a turn but also gains Hypnosis counters, which enable his magic attacks to land Critical Hits. If he wakes up on his own (no ailment curing or sleep-breaking damage allowed), he is healed and gets a large INT buff.
- CloudCuckooLander: His reason for switching from his IDA uniform to his Nightmare Hunter robes is because he kinda looks cool wearing them. Or so he says. He isn't sure.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Lots of his fellow students thinks he can't do crap except sleeping in class (when he bothers to show up) and hanging out at night. In reality, he is one of the best Nightmare Hunters.
- Dream Walker: He actually has the ability to go into dreams (human or animal), taking people along if he wishes. He works as a Nightmare Hunter, which is why he's so sleepy. This proves useful in Mayu's Dream World as he can "speak" with sleeping people.
- Fighting from the Inside: Once he's inside a dream, he can fight Nightmares, destroying them for good.
- Making a Splash: Magic water is his forte.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: His fatigue and nonchalant behaviour drops the second he suspects there's Nightmare-related trouble afoot.
- Sleepyhead: So much so that he can fall asleep in the middle of a conversation.
Ruina is a student at the IDA Academy, and one of their brightest. Descending from the supposedly extinct-in-the-future elven race, her longer lifespan means she has trouble connecting with her human peers.
- Custom Uniform: Her uniform actually resembles the standard IDA school uniform, unlike a lot of recruitable IDA students, but she uses a green tartan patern where the NPCs would have solid green.
- Dual Wielding: Her portrait depicts her wielding dual swords. During gameplay, however, she uses just one sword like everyone else.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: She decides to help Aldo as one of her extracurricular activities.
- Oblivious to Love: Her second sidequest has her and Aldo investigate a "mysterious couple", not knowing that they are the couple in question. In fact, Ruina is largely clueless of romance throughout the whole quest.
- Older Than They Look: As she is an elf, she has lived longer than the others.
- Pointy Ears: She has pointed ears, as fitting for her elven heritage.
- The Spock: She's intelligent, seemingly aloof, and doesn't really understand emotions.
A girl from IDA Academy, and Jade's sister. After giving into despair and eating a dark apple, she ends trapped in a Dream World. After being rescued by Aldo, Jade and Isuka, she tries to get a hold of her powers and know what to do with her life.
- Abusive Parent: Saki's father used her a test subject, after driving away her brother by doing the same thing to him.
- An Ice Person: Her father's experiments gave her ice powers. Her Dream World is a frozen version of her school. Since there's no Ice element in-game, her attacks are Water spells.
- Character Development: After joining IDEA in the investigation of Mayu's Dream World, she feels overshadowed by Aldo, Isuka, and Claude, on top of her hesitance to use her powers. It takes a moment of crisis for her to develop the confidence to use them, and her increasing confidence and power is also reflected in her new Valor Chant lines and unlocked Ability Boards.
- Counter Attack: Her Jotunn Effect skill not only gives the team a large Fire resistance buff, but also causes her to immediately counter with a strong water attack to all enemies when she gets hit with a fire attack. If multiple fire attacks hit her while she's in this state, she will counter for each hit, and can mow down flunkies that are fond of such attacks.
- Enemy Without: Because she's trapped in a world based around her mind, her subconscious is able to manifest as a physical entity will do whatever it takes to keep her asleep.
- Guinea Pig Family: Her father was successful in his experiment to turn her into a living weapon, granting her great power at the cost of her no longer being able to live a normal life.
- Hope Is Scary: One of her subconscious projections is the embodiment of her hope. The rest of her subconscious tries to repress this side of her, because she believes that hope causes more pain than it's worth.
- Ice Magic Is Water: Her ice-based spells are functionally water attacks within the game's mechanics.
- Innocently Insensitive: An innocuous comment from Saki rubbed Mayu the wrong way, causing both friends to be driven apart and facilitating Mayu's downward spiral into despair. Saki eventually addresses this to fix their friendship.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: Keeping the trend of Cerrine and Felmina, Saki fights with her ice powers and their manifestation as the Absolute Zero Chain (a literal chain made of magic ice), but her class weapon is staves.
- Power Incontinence: She can't control her powers, and nearly hurt one of her friends. Even after she is rescued from her Dream World, she holds herself back out of fear of a repeat incident.
- Promoted to Playable: She becomes a playable party member during the IDA School Part 2: Butterfly's City and Heaven's Cradle (v 1.6.5) Episode.
- Rank Up: At the end of IDA School Part 2, Saki is offered a position in IDEA. She keeps the offer on hold as she prioritizes caring for Mayu, before fully embracing it (with a free Another Style upgrade) in the After Incidents Epilogue.
Sevyn is a studen at IDA Academy, but he rarely attends classes. He's arrogant and brash, perhaps because he's one of the few remaining shamans in Elzion, and can use magic without the aid of prisma. He'd never admit that he'd like to find someon who can challenge and/or accept him.
- Boyfriend Bluff: A classmate claims to be Sevyn's girlfriend to scare off an admirer. Sevyn has no interest in playing along, and would've walked away if the other guy hadn't accused his powers of being fake.
- Delinquents: Doesn't respect authority, doesn't show up to class, and doesn't wear a school uniform.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He wears a jacket with no shirt.
Other Future-Era Characters
An elite female member of a special task force under the direct supervision of the Administrator. Their primary mission is to safeguard Elzion from Synth Human attacks. She is specialized in the use of a massive hammer and yet still leaves her male colleagues in the dust even in situations that require high mobility. All the while keeping a cool and nonchalant attitude. She has a nickname from those who respect her...
- Gratuitous German: Her final Ability Board and several of her strongest skills are all in German.
An agent working for the Elzion Judiciary. Cetie is a smart man with a strong sense of justice and self-confidence, using his skills in data analysis to help his investigations. He's often seen with his two pods, Clock and Retro.
- Robot Buddy: Two of them in his case.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Rocks a fancy black and white suit.
- Support Party Member: He is half this, half regular DPS as several of his skills inflict big Intelligence debuffs.
- Wrong Side of the Tracks: He grew up in a urban ghetto where crime was rampant, motivating his goal to become a cop.
A performer who hails from Nilva and the youngest of five children, Ciel sings soprano and plays the harp. People say that he may be magically gifted at music.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Foreign Skies and the Ship to Freedom" is an Other Tales episode focusing on his family and home life, and rewards supplies used to unlock his 5-star upgrade.
- The Baby of the Bunch: He's the youngest in his family and makes Aldo his honorary older brother.
- Big Brother Worship: Even if they're not related, he treats Aldo like this.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He looks feminine, dresses in a feminine manner, likes cute dresses and has a higher-pitched voice, but is actually male.
- Informed Flaw: His character bio claims he can act rather spoiled due to being the youngest of the bunch, but he never comes across that way in game.
- It Runs in the Family: His Other Tales reveal that both his parents and at least one of his sisters are as eccentric and flamboyant as him. His dad is a fashion designer who wears giant butterfly wings as his daily outfit.
- Magic Music: His singing voice is implied to help people fall in love or feel powerful emotions. He isn't aware of it.
- Meaningful Name: Ciel is from the flying city of Nilva and, according to his parents, the sky was bright blue without any clouds on his birthday. "Ciel" is the French word for "Sky".
- Outnumbered Sibling: He has four older sisters.
- Scaramanga Special: Transformable version in the case of his Signature weapon, Apollo's Harp, which can also be used as a longbow.
A young boy who uses nanotech installed inside him to turn the moisture in his body into steam. He is able to weaponize this steam by manipulating its pressure. However, the process puts a lot of stress on him - he'll lose control if he becomes overwhelmed. He seems all too aware of the fragility of humans.
Despite being a shaman with strong supernatural powers, Erina will only use them to help others and seems not interested in using them for her own gain. She has been seen at times just talking to thin air. Despite being born into a wealthy merchant family, she's not so good at managing her finances.
- I See Dead People: She's can see ghosts, and is accompanied by the ghost of her dead sister.
- Life Drain: She stands out from other healers as her main method of attack also heals the party.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: As mentioned in her bio, she's not that good at managing finances despite her background. She has trouble understanding why it might be a problem that someone is being conned into buying pottery they don't need.
- Status-Buff Dispel: One of the few characters who can erase an enemy's buffs and debuffs.
A young man who is always looking to put his theories into practice. Krervo used to work for KMS, but saddened by the loss of nature in the world, he retired. He now works alone to try and revive the nature that was lost.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: He seems to be adjusting his glasses by the corner in his official artwork and in his victory pose.
- Covers Always Lie: His artwork represents him throwing vials full of colored liquids, but he's a standard staff user in gameplay.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: Generally acts proper and dignified, while being a scientist that is trying to restore lost nature.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He calls himself a crappy scientist because his research doesn't yield as much results as he would like.
- Stoic Spectacles: He wears narrow glasses that match his calm and intellectual demeaner.
- White Mage: Not as potent as the others, but he's the only healer able to remove debuffs.
A narcissistic scientist who considers himself a genius. He looks very young, but he was employed by KMS as a researcher until recently. He acts like an insolent child, though it could just be teenage angst. It's certainly true that he is a top-class scientist...
- Always Second Best: He couldn't get better grades than Krervo back in school, causing him to latch onto him as his rival.
- Fountain of Youth: He's actually the same age as Krervo, but had his age regress due to his experimenting.
- Immortality Seeker: His goal is to gain immorality so he has time to study all the mysteries of the world. Currently, he can only do it for plants.
- Insufferable Genius: He is both a genius scientist and a smug brat.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite his insufferable attitude, he translates in his first quest the dying words of a cat to his beloved owner.
- Professor Guinea Pig: He tested on himself on his quest to gain immortality.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: He loathes Krervo to the point you wonder how he manages to breathe the same air than him without having a fit. His hatred dates back to their school days. Krervo couldn't care less.
- Teen Genius: Despite being a teen, he used to work for KMS. He's also Older Than He Looks.
Pom is a researcher from Elzion that invents potions and tests them on other people without their permission. In particular, she's trying to develop a love potion.
- Harmful Healing: Her Profane Medicine skill heals HP on top of bestowing a simultaneous Intelligence boost and magic defense penalty. It also affects everyone (including the enemies), turning them into a magical Glass Cannon.
- Hello, Nurse!
- Love Freak: She's obsessed with love, and helping other people develop it. Except instead of being hopelessly naive like normal for this trope, she's a mad scientist.
- Say It with Hearts: She likes to pepper her dialogue with heart symbols.
- Unwitting Test Subject: Since no one would ever agree to do her tests if she told them about it, she tends to to present her concoctions as something mundane, like medicine or water.
- White Mage: Most of her skill set is devoted to healing; she only has one attack skill.
An inspector of the Elzion Judiciary, Renri is a hardworking lawbringer who wants to ensure a fair and impartial justice over the world. Despite her glowing record, her ironclad principles put her at odds with her superiors sometimes.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Either she gets fashion tips from Cetie, either the black and white suit with a red tie is the standard uniform for COA agents.
- Coat Cape
- The Comically Serious: She's stern and inflexible even by Elzion Judiciary standards. It makes for interesting interactions with the fabulously eccentric family of Ciel.
- Elemental Powers: Renri is the first DPS character to avert this, having an almost fully non-elemental skill kit. This makes her very polyvalent as a damage dealer, at the cost of a lower damage output than her specialized colleagues.
- Everyone Has Standards: Renri may be obsessive about the rule of law, but even she agrees that Ciel's family timeline, where not looking exactly like everybody else and anything cultural is a crime, is not okay.
- Knight Templar: Renri upholds the rule of law and justice above everything else, circumstances be damned.
- Inspector Javert: She is this in Ciel's Other Tale, being firmly convinced that, despite their quirks, Ciel's family have some skeletons in their closet and won't stop until they're exposed. Once the truth is revealed, she decides to cut them some slack and help them cover their true origins since they didn't do anything illegal in her timeline.
- I Was Just Passing Through: At the end of Ciel's Other Tale, she decides not to report that Ciel's family are refugees from another timeline, on the grounds that it's only her job to report criminal activity. She then insists that she'll stick around to catch them if they do anything illegal, meaning that Ciel's family won't have to deal with a different COA agent moving in.
- Pointy Ears: It's hard to tell, but the clips she wears on her ears evoke this.
- Sweet Tooth: To the point one can wonder if her COA colleagues didn't bribed her with pastries to accept the Garden Island assignment.
A "professional" who takes on jobs with his electronic bow, Rovella is a former soldier who got discharged after a battle with Synth Humans. Equiped with cybernetic augmentations to boost his aptitudes, he will do whatever it takes to finish a job.
Rufus is a self proclaimed hero from Elzion, whose fists burn with justice. He gets wrapped up in all sorts of trouble while persuing heroism.
The eldest sister of Ciel's family, Shannon is a marketing genius who leads KMS's advertising department. Despite her skills as an executive, she is known as a carefree individual once out of her office.
- Berserk Button: Do not threaten Ciel or her cats unless you want the quirky executive to send you flying.
- Crazy Cat Lady: She adopts any stray cat she finds, resulting in her owning a dozen of them. It's no surprise she has the "Cat lover" trait.
- Knight Templar Big Sister: She's fiercly protective of Ciel, both because she thinks she has to as his elder sister and because Ciel is the only member of the family born outside of the Bad Future where his family comes from.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's as much as a nutjob than her parents and siblings, but she's also a top ranking KMS executive and a fierce warrior, handles the machinery of Garden Island, helps the resistance efforts in her home dimension, and seriously considered murdering Renri if she found and outed her family as time-travel refugees.
- Standard Status Effects: She stands out from other Wind DPS units by being capable of stunning an enemy with Blast Shock or putting an entire group to sleep with Whirlwind.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack": She named one of her cats after her younger brother, Ciel.
Suzette is a young girl from Elzion who is supposedly a reincarnated spirit from the demon realm and the possessor of a "cursed" eye that lets her sees the surnatural. She can be foul at times, but will always aid others in need.
- An Adventurer Is You: Her vanilla version is an AOE Scrapper, while her Another Style is a pure physical Nuker.
- Bio-Augmentation: She's the result of Project Eugenes, an Elzion experiment to tamper with genetics in order to develop superhumans. Her mind couldn't handle the experiments and her growing powers, causing her to break free, burning the lab down in the process.
- Charged Attack: Her Another Style allows her to inflict multiple Wind stacks on one enemy, then spending them all with another one. The resulting damage is so high AS Suzette can alone wipe even bosses in a few turns.
- Chuunibyou: She thinks quite highly of herself. There's also the issue of her supposed origin as the dark princess of the Netherworld which is both a coping mechanism and an excuse she made up for the genetic experiments done on her.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She wears a very frilly, elaborate dress. Her Another Style trades it for a luxurious kimono.
- Escaped from the Lab: She had a meltdown and destroyed the lab she was being experimented on as a child.
- Large Ham: She can't help but act overly dramatic.
- Sweet Tooth: Can't resist the temptation of sweet things. Her first quest has her riled up when hearing her favorite pastry shop is out of business due to delivery issues.
- The Stoic: Once her Bio-Augmentation kicks in, she becomes this and tries to go back to KMS until her "normal" personality takes control again when she is about to kill Aldo.
Yazuki is a member of the Sea Cats, a sky pirate crew who engages in cat burglary. She has faced off against the Elzion guards many times. She goes at full speed all day every day and will stop at nothing to get to whatever she wants.
The Mass-Produced Robots
A group of eight combat androids with unknown origins and only faint memories of who they are.
- Com Mons: They're the Future set of 3-star characters. They have little to no use expect padding the roster or filling a gap in your party until you can get a 4-star character to replace them.
- Palette Swap: They use the same sprite, with only their weapons, color and the shape of their heads varying.
- Story Breadcrumbs: Each of the robots has a different line of the same story stored in their database, which can be viewed in their profile.