open/close all folders
The AlphasOriginally known as the Shamans, a group of supernatural animals from another land that serve as heroes as Jamaa and mainly fight the Phantoms (This covers the main Alphas, not minor Alphas only seen as statues)
Tropes applying to the Alphas as whole
- Animal Superhero: The Alphas may be this trope, as they are able to cast powers that regular animals cannot do.
- The Chosen One: They were all chosen by Zios and Mira to fight the phantoms.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: They were able to force the Phantom Queen back to her original world.
- Five-Man Band
- The Leader: Liza the Panda Alpha
- The Lancer: Greely the Wolf Alpha
- The Smart Guy: Graham the Monkey Alpha
- The Big Guy: Sir Gilbert the Tiger Alpha
- The Chick: Peck the Rabbit Alpha (even though Liza is female also)
- The Sixth Ranger: Cosmo the Koala Alpha
- The Seventh Ranger: Tavi the Dolphin Alpha
- The Eighth Ranger: Juno the Arctic Wolf Alpha
- Greek Letter Ranks: The Alphas are the top leaders of their own species, and of whole are the leaders of Jamaa.
- Teleportation: The Alphas are able to teleport from place to place, showing off an aura when they appear and disappear.
Liza the Panda Alpha
- Brave and powerful, Liza is the panda Shaman. She values exploration and intellectual pursuits, and has personally mapped a great majority of Jamaa. She is proud and determined in her manner, and she lets nothing stand in the way of her latest expedition to a far off land. Liza doesn't stand still for long, and never has much time to talk before having to dash off. She created most of the exploration-based challenges in Animal Jam and she presses all animals in the world to document Jamaa. She has a kind, motherly manner about her; very encouraging and very gentle. She believes that anyone can do better, and reach higher.Shaman Animals Lore
- Anime Chinese Girl: However, more of a mild example
- Bold Explorer: She's responsible for discovering majority of the new lands.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: Liza the Panda Alpha wears a dress, which is different from the other Alphas. There are also member-only dresses, which can provide this trope for the players.
- Furry Female Mane: And she also dons black, braided, human-like hair.
- Nice Girl: Caring to everyone in Jamaa.
Greely the Wolf Alpha
- Greely, the reluctant wolf Shaman, puts his creepy cleverness to use in the study of animal magic. He is definitely on the side of good and righteousness, but he plays by his own rules. He speaks in to-the-point sentences, even to new animals, and has a certain amount of disdain for the other Shaman leaders. The only higher power that Greely respects is the Sky Mother, Mira. Greely is a powerful warrior against the phantoms in Animal Jam; they fear him most of all, because he is so much like them. He is the link to the darker side of the Animal Jam mythology. He has theories about where the phantoms came from and he may even know the location of a few undiscovered spirit stones.Shaman Animals Lore
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: He's a wolf, a blue wolf.
- Anti-Hero: Implied, thanks to the rumor that he is connected to the Phantoms
- Badass in Distress: As Powerful as he is, he still couldn't escape being captured by the phantoms in The Search For Greely
- Grumpy Bear: Angsty and cold, in a colorful animal paradise
- Noble Wolf: He's part of the Alphas!
- Perpetual Frowner: Have you ever seen him smile?
Peck the Rabbit Alpha
- Cute but definitely not cuddly, Peck is the rabbit Shaman. She is the loud and feisty one of the group, and she is a nonconformist and very independent. She lets her punk rock creative spirits guide her, and likes her music loud and her clothing even louder! Peck is friendly to everyone and sees herself as just one of the gang. She doesn't flaunt her Shaman status, and as a matter of fact can be a little embarrassed at being treated with reverence. Peck loves to create, and is a gifted interior designer, painter, and musician. She does her best to leave her distinctive mark of color-meets-attitude wherever she goes throughout Jamaa.Shaman Animals Lore
- The Cutie: Is potrayed as a cheerful, optimistic and troublemaking  who just wants to have fun.
- Fun Personified: Cute, loud, creative, troublemaking, and certainly a Genki Girl.
- Genki Girl: Peck has been described as hyperactive and loud, which can get her in trouble.
- No Indoor Voice: SHE'S VERY LOUD, as described above.
- Pink Means Feminine: With mostly pink fur
Sir Gilbert the Tiger Alpha
- Sir Gilbert, the regal tiger Shaman, is a proud warrior. He takes his ancestry very seriously and always makes it a point to honor those that came before him when going into battle. Even though he has a rough appearance, Sir Gilbert is a very thoughtful, spiritual animal with a caring nature. His personality is serious, reverential, and soft-spoken. He has a deep, low voice that can be as soothing as it is menacing. As a mentor to new tigers, Sir Gilbert can be a tough teacher, but he possesses great wisdom and knows a lot about the history of Jamaa and its ongoing struggle with the phantoms that inhabit the Animal Jam world.Shaman Animals Lore
Graham the Monkey Alpha
- Graham is the monkey Shaman who can always be found building, fixing, and inventing things, as well as using tools in the world. He can craft tools that other animals can use without needing hands or thumbs. He's a born tinkerer and never leaves any tool alone without trying to improve it or develop it further. Graham's personality is friendly, but he is always a little bit hyper and distracted. He mumbles to himself constantly, and often throws humorous non-sequiturs into his speech. Graham has a bizarre sense of humor and likes to play innocent pranks on new animals in Animal Jam.Shaman Animals Lore
Cosmo the Koala Alpha
- Cosmo the koala Shaman is an expert herbalist. He makes up for his small stature by being very animated and cheerful about everything, and feels that even a small person can have a big personality. Cosmo is a true academic, and loves to study books and do field research. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of herbs and their uses, and he's often consulted by other shaman about threats to the natural world. He acknowledges the spiritual world but prefers to concentrate on things that he can see and touch... and eat. As a mentor to new koalas in Jamaa, Cosmo is friendly and patient with beginners. He's a natural born teacher and loves taking a group of students out into a field to study plants.Shaman Animals Lore
- Bookworm: Besides botany and plant raising, Cosmo enjoys reading books and researching with them.
- Green Thumb: Cosmo the Koala Alpha, expert botanist that can communicate with plants and raise them to become weapons.
- Talking to Plants: It is stated that Cosmo has been experienced with plants so much that he can even talk to them in their own language.
Tavie the Dolphin Alpha
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: She's a purple dolphin.
- Artificial Limbs: Appears to have a mechanical tail.
- Damsel in Distress: Turning The Tide revolves around her being held prisoner from the phantoms and the player venturing to save her.
- The Seventh Ranger: Added many years after the original Alphas
Juno the Arctic Wolf Alpha
- Ambiguous Gender: Juno is referred to with gender neutral pronouns and it's left ambiguous on what gender Juno is. Some staff have said that Juno does not identify with a gender, but this is unconfirmed.
- The Eighth Ranger: Added many years after the original Alphas
- Glowing Eyes
- Taken for Granite: Juno was turned to stone after spending many years in the Temple of Ancients
PhantomsThe main antagonists of the game: one-eyed spider-like Adorable Abominations threatening Jamaa.
Phantoms (in general)
- Adorable Abomination: Cute, yet they are mysterious monsters who act as the Anthropomorphic Personification of pollution and have no problem electrocuting animals.
- Adorable Evil Minions: Just look at them, d'aw!
- Anthropomorphic Personification: They represent pollution and the evil things humans do to the natural world.
- Aquatic Mook: Can swim in water and not drown.
- Cyclops: They have one eye.
- Did You Just Have Tea With Cthulhu/MookFace Turn: The pet phantoms.
- Flight: They can fly in the air, as shown in the mini-games, Phantom Shooter and Wind Rider.
- Mascot Mook: The phantoms are often used to associate with Animal Jam.
- Mini Mook: The proto-phantoms in Bitter Sweets. They're so weak that you can destroy them by touching them.
- Mook Maker: The Phantom Spawners, which pop out of nowhere and spawn phantoms. They can be only destroyed with a boomseed.
- In "The Hive" boss battle, the Phantom King can spawn new phantoms.
- Shock and Awe: Phantoms zap anyone they touch.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show: Floating around polluting the Sugar Bowl and kidnapping Moe animals.. They did cause the Sugar Apocalypse.
- Achilles' Heel: Him being stunned after a Ground Pound
- Climax Boss: In "The Hive" adventure
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: He can be defeated by a regular band of animals, by just attacking the Achilles' Heel.
- Ground Pound: The Phantom King can slam onto the ground, but will be stunned for a while.
- King Mook: Large versions of phantoms and serve as boss of The Hive.
The mother and origin of all phantoms
- Big Bad: She's pretty much this, since she birthed all of the phantoms and is the reason why Zeus and Mira are missing
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: See the same trope example in the "Alphas as whole" folder
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Samus Is a Girl: Before the reveal of her name, it was thought that she was the Phantom King.
- Expy: Zios is based on Viracocha. They are both creator gods and have the same head.
- Floating Mask: Zios is just a floating mask with no body.
- God Couple: To Mira
- God is Dead: Heavily Implied in the lore, as his disappearance occurred when the phantoms came.
- Interspecies Romance: He's in love with Mira. Talk about a Floating Mask and a heron in love!
- The Maker: He was the one who created the whole entire world.