Contestants from Cycle 1 of America's Next Top Model.
The then 20-year-old Joliet, Illinois native was a waitress before her appearance on the first cycle of Americas Next Top Model.
After winning, there was a reported feud with Tyra Banks regarding the collection of her prizes. Apparently, the Revlon contract she was supposed to receive didnt pan out because Revlon didnt think she was a fit for their brand and never used her. She was sent to model over seas, but while there, was told she was too old to book jobs, so she wound up over seas, nearly broke, and by herself. She blamed Tyra for this, so she harbors some bitterness toward the retired supermodel.
Tyra has since never used footage of her when promoting Americas Next Top Model or past winners of the show. It was also rumored that Tyra was disenchanted with Adrianne for posing nude in Playboy.
- Broad Strokes: At least until All-Stars, where Tyra gave Shannon a Remember When You Blew Up The Sun speech saying she was a runner up for a reason, meaning they acknowledge the fact that there was a winner. That is the first time she was at least referred during the show.
- Dark Horse Victory: Tyra even discussed to the other panel members on how unsure she was on Adrianne making it far on the show, let alone being on it.
- Plucky Girl: Showed up at Elimination despite severe food poisoning that hospitalized her just hours earlier.
- Smoking Is Cool: After winning a couture challenge in Paris, Adrianne smokes in bed with Elyse top-less.
- Un-person: Tyra would seem to prefer to pretend that she simply never existed.
Shannon Niquette Stewart-Ratliff finished as the runner-up to Adrianne Curry. She has also been featured in Cycle 11 as one of CoverGirls Top Models in Action.
It was no secret to the other contestants that Shannon was devout Christian, never drinking or smoking. She was also very clear that she was waiting until marriage to lose her virginity.
- Chaste Heroine: she is oblivious to all the overt sexuality around her.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Her reluctance to do sexy shoots and her very first photo will be important factors to her second run in the competition eight years later.
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: she has a big white smile.
- More Teeth Than The Osmonds: Janice criticizes how big her smile is, and even at one point says she should have some teeth removed.
- Graceful Loser: She congratulates Adrianne upon her win.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: she refuses to pose nude, and has difficulty posing in lingerie and swimsuits.
- Ship Tease: She had a crush towards the male Christian model who she was able to work with in Paris. Cue her Squeeing when she met him and them hanging out. Of course, that guy's not Matt Ratliff.
A native of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sewell obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of New Mexico. Sewell was known on the show as the edgy pre-med student. In 2005, one of her confessional clips from the show, in which she started a profanity-laden rant against the people on the show, earned her 16th place on E!s Most Outrageous TV Moments.
As a model, Elyse has been incredibly successful, especially in Asia. She is perhaps one of the the most successful models from Americas Next Top Model, .
- The Ace: Elyse was often praised by both the panel and the other girls for her looks, skills and photos. She is also intelligent and fluent in French as seen in the Go-Sees episode in Paris. Ironically, Elyse responded unflattered to these praises even saying that a.) she thought it's a joke b.) she thought it's silly c.) both.
- Alpha Bitch: Not as much as Robin but she was often extremely mean in her comments towards the other girls.
- Awesome Ego: Not as severe as Robins but she was convinced in her higher intelligence compared to the other girls.
- Deadpan Snarker: Often made snarky comments about her competitors.
- Hypocrite: Called most of the other girls insincere, fake or bitchy but constantly spoke badly about them behind their backs to other girls, in the confessionals and even in a challenge interview.
- Insufferable Genius: She was not doubt intelligent but often used that as an excuse to call the other girls stupid.
Robin Robynne Manning is a plus-sized model and a Devout Christian from Memphis, Tennessee. Before she appeared ANTMs Cycle 1, she was given the titles of Miss Soybean and Miss National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame. She received her MA from Tennessee State University, where she was also deemed as Miss Tennessee State University. Being a Devout Christian like her fellow Top Model Finalist Shannon Stewart, Robin often criticized the other girls when she felt that they were doing something immoral. She was extremely affected when openly gay model Ebony brought her partner to the house. On the seventh week, the challenge was to pose nude for a jewelry advertisement. She, along with Shannon, refused to participate, saying that it was against her morals. Consequently, she was eliminated from the show, becoming the seventh contestant to be cut.
- Alpha Bitch: often very mean and holier-than-thou to her fellow contestants.
- Big Beautiful Woman: the first plus-sized model ever on the show.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: acts nice to the judges, but is actually very rude and intolerant towards others.
- Cool Big Sis: Subverted. She thinks she was this.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Post-makeover.
- The Fundamentalist: often shown reading her bible and shoving it in Elyse's face.
- Holier Than Thou: believes herself to better than the more liberal girls like Elyse, Adrianne or Ebony.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: refuses to pose nude
- Rich Bitch: she had money, and was not afraid to show it off, and let her fellow contestants know about it.
- Sassy Black Woman: she has a big personality, and is not afraid to show it.
- Sit Com Arch Nemesis: Namely, to Ebony, Elyse and Adrianne.
- Statuesque Stunner: she is 5'11"
Kesse Wallace coined the acronym DIVA in the attempt to describe herself in the most accurate way. DIVA wittingly stands for Devastating, Intriguing, Vivacious and just plain All That. She was raised a devout Baptist and majored in accounting in college.
On the sixth week, the show flew Kesse and the other remaining Top Model finalists to Paris, where they were asked to pose with a male model wearing only lingerie. The challenge allowed a number of Parisian designers to view the models, and although all of them tried their best to produce spectacular pictures, the judges felt that Kesse did not possess enough desire to advance in the competition. Consequently, Kesse became the sixth finalist to be eliminated.
- Celebrity Resemblance: With host Tyra Banks. Lampshaded many times during the show, including Tyra herself.Tyra: "This is freaking me out. I think I'm looking at my long lost sister."Elyse: (to Adrianne) "Do you think Kesse will win? Cause she looks like Tyra."
- Disappeared Dad: Her father was shot dead.
- The Face: Of the Christian girls and the top five in general.
- The Heart: Among the group of girls who not only got along with everyone but was able to help others get along. This is further displayed with both her elimination where the girls and the panel were crying and the following episode had Robyn and Shannon team up while Adrienne and Elyse did their own thing.
The lifelong dancer and gymnast from Corona, California worked with Anaheim Ballet, Disney and played football before her appearance on Americas Next Top Model.
During the fifth week of Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 1, both Giselle and fellow Top Model Finalist Ebony were left standing in front of Tyra, awaiting the judges decision on who was to be eliminated. Giselle was spared as Ebony was sent home, but her performance the following week betrayed her lack of confidence. Her photos with 2003 NFL Rookie of the Year Clinton Portis were not impressive enough to convince the judges to keep her, and so she became the fifth finalist to be cut from the show. Tyra said it was her lack of confidence that hindered her performance.
- Ambiguously Brown: she is of mixed heritage.
- Genki Girl: has a young, energetic personality
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Ultimately became her Fatal Flaw.
- Lazy Bum: Elyse accuses her of being this around the house and refusing to do chores.
- Tag Along Kid: did not have much screentime during the show.
Born in the Bronx, New York, Ebony is an openly gay model, who is well-known by the public because of her bald head. Aside from modeling, Ebony has also dabbled in cosmetics, having worked as a make-up artist in the past. Her aunt is her personal hero because not only did her aunt overcome cancer, but she also raised 5 adopted children, one of whom was Ebony.
When Ebony became one of the finalists in Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 1, she was met with harsh criticism from the two very devout Christian Top Model finalists, Robin and Shannon. The conflict escalated when Ebonys partner dropped by the house, further angering Shannon and Robin. Things turned uglier for Ebony during the judging, as she became the fourth contestant eliminated. The judges reasoned that it was Ebonys weak performance that drove them to cut her from the show.
- Aside Glance: Her hilarious reaction to Robyn's impromptu prayer session.
- Bald Woman: after her makeover.
- Lipstick Lesbian: she is a lesbian, and has a girlfriend who visits the apartment during the show.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Subverted. Though she just walked out upon elimination, the unseen footage saw her write to the other girls upon leaving the suite.
- Sassy Black Woman: she is often very funny in the confessionals about her competitors.
- Token Lesbian: the first lesbian contestant on the show.
Born in Murreita, California, Nicole used to work at a Bike/Skate Shop and sees herself as a sensible yet playful individual.
Nicole was eliminated from Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 1 on the third week, despite having shown some promise in the earlier rounds. For the third challenge, the finalists had to pose with one of Natures most feared animals, the snake. All the girls performed extremely well considering the scary situation, but Nicole was the one eliminated from the show because of her lack of commitment.
- Beauty Mark: has a mole on her face.
- Love Makes You Dumb: She rejected a reward in which she'll meet a high-profile designer so she can continue calling her out-of-reach boyfriend. On the other hand, she did wind up marrying said boyfriend and starting a family with him in the end, and they're still together to this day - so it looks like everything worked out fine for her.
- Ms. Fanservice: has large breasts
- Statuesque Stunner: she is 5'10''
The then 21-year-old from Glenview, Illinois was a student during her appearance on Americas Next Top Model. While studying in high school, Katie took on small modeling jobs in Chicago. After graduating, she took advantage of a track scholarship and attended a Liberal Arts College in Wisconsin, where she graduated with a degree in Business and Marketing.
As a finalist on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 1, Katie was criticized for appearing too sexual in her photos. The second challenge called for another swimwear photo shoot, this time for Stuff Magazine. Katie was the second to be eliminated because the judges felt her sexual appeal was detrimental for her career as a model.
Born in Chicago, Illinois, Tessa was an aspiring model working as a waitress during her appearance on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 1.
For the very first challenge on Americas Next Top Model, the ten finalists were asked to model swimsuits from actress Jennifer Lopez clothing line, J.Lo. The photo shoot was held on the rooftop of a tall Manhattan building. The weather was terribly cold, making the challenge more difficult for the contestants.
Tessa was the first eliminated from the show because after the judges reviewed their pictures from the photo shoot, they felt that Tessa didnt know how to pose.