With her offbeat mohawk and introverted personality, then-20-year-old Naima was originally thought to be a long-shot to walk away with the title of Americas Next Top Model. However, Naima quickly proved to be a strong contender and the judges were blown away by Naimas final performance on the catwalk. She holds the record of being the first and only Top Model contestant to be voted CoverGirl of the Week nine times in a row.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Although she's sweet and quiet, that doesn't mean that she isn't competitive. When she competes against Rebecca in a runway challenge, she says, "There's this bitch next to me and it's either her or me. And it's me." She loses but takes it well.
- Broken Bird: Her parents' divorce deeply affected her and she mentions to falling in with a bad crowd while she was working through her anger.
- But Not Too Black: Although Naima is half-black, Keenyah does not consider her "black enough" to be given the key to Nelson Mandela's cell.
- Down to the Last Play: Naima and Kahlen were neck and neck towards the end of the competition and then Naima blew it out of the water during the final runway. Tyra describes her win as Naima being the girl who did so-so throughout the semester and "killed the final exam" and Kahlen was the girl who did well all year and then failed the final exam.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: As Envy during the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial.
- Little Bit Beastly: As Capricorn during the Western Zodiac pictorial, as well as a Cheetah during the eight photoshoot.
- The Quiet One: The judges criticized her for her quiet, reserved personality.
At the beginning of the competition, then 21-year-old's Kahlens lack of confidence sometimes got the best of her; however, she consistently produced excellent photographs. At the final judging panel, the judges noted that Kahlen had provided one of the best portfolios in all the previous cycles, particularly the "Seven Deadly Sins"-themed photoshoot in which she had to work through the grief of having recently lost a close friend. But in the end, she was outmatched by Naima's performance on the final runway and she placed second.
- The Ace: She was a consistent high performer, with Nigel Barker praising her, saying, You are a chameleon. You have the ability to turn into anything and everything. Its not sexy, but its very cool.
- Beginner's Luck: Much is made about the fact that Kahlen had never seen an episode of ANTM or had any prior modelling experience, and yet turned out some of the best photos.
- Blessed with Suck: Post-show, she exemplified the downside of Celebrity Resemblance in the modeling world.
- Break the Cutie: When one of her True Companions since high school died during competition, she took it hard and still had to pull herself together for the ""Seven Deadly Sins"-themed photoshoot that took place in a graveyard.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Jay Manuel noted her resemblance to supermodel Carmen Kass, which ended up hindering her post-show modeling career.
- Down to the Last Play: Although it was agreed amongst the judges that Kahlen produced the best photos, she did not perform as strongly during the final runway. Tyra described her performance as "the girl who did good all semester and kinda failed her final exams."
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She is known for her sweet, shy personality, and she got a long blonde weave for her makeover.
- Little Bit Beastly: As Aries during the Western Zodiac pictorial, as well as an Antelope during the eight photoshoot.
- Screaming Woman: As Wrath during the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial.
- Shrinking Violet: Has a very shy, reserved, quiet personality.
Then 19-year-old Keenyah was favorably compared to supermodel Iman early on in the competition and performed consistently. However, Keenyah gained weight during the competition and she was repeatedly criticized by the judges for not maintaining a model's physique. In South Africa, Keenyah got into a fight with the other contestants, including her close friend Brittany Brower, for complaining that Naima should not have received the key to Nelson Mandela's cell. The judges noted the shift in Keenyah's performance and attitude and she was deemed too arrogant, placing third overall.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Keenyah deals with one in the form of a male model who gets too close during a South African dance photoshoot and grunts in her ear suggestively.
- Big Eater: Became a Running Gag late in the series.
- Butt-Monkey: After her weight gain, she assigned to pose as "Gluttony" for the "Seven Deadly Sins" photoshoot and as an elephant for the South African animal photoshoot.
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: Keenyah attempts to complain about a male model's sexual harassment but the rest of the contestants are already irritated by the way she acted during the visit to Nelson Mandel's cell so they are not sympathetic.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: As Gluttony during the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial.
- Hypocrite: Keenyah makes a fuss about not being given the key to open Nelson Mandela's cell because it's an important moment in black history and Brittany points out that Keenyah didn't even know whether Nelson Mandela was alive.
- Little Bit Beastly: As Taurus during the Western Zodiac pictorial, as well as an Elephantin the Lubriderm South Africa photoshoot.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Once they get South Africa, she becomes more competitive and rude.
Born in Tallahassee, Florida, Brittany was working with Promogirl.com and was under the management of Marsha Doll Models before her stint on ANTM. She was noted for her loud, vivacious personality but the judges warned that she could appear too sexy in photos. Brittany eventually found her rhythm and received best photo, but her strong performance came to halt when she got into a fight with Keenyah Hill, who was her closest friend in the competition. The judges noticed that she seemed to lose her spark and she placed fourth overall.
- Archer Archetype: As Sagittarius during the Western Zodiac pictorial.
- Big "SHUT UP!": She delivers a loud one to Keenyah when the two get into an argument over whether Keenyah should have received the key to Nelson Mandela's cell in lieu of Naima.
- Genki Girl: She has a loud, goofy personality, sober or drunk.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She loves to drink, and occasionally takes it too far, annoying the other girls.
- Lazy Bum: As Sloth during the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial.
- Little Bit Beastly: As a Giraffe during her eight pictorial.
- Ms. Fanservice: The judges criticize her for posing too sexily early in the competition and Sarah Dankleman dersively referrs to her as a "porn princess".
- Statuesque Stunner: At 6'0", she is the tallest contestant in Cycle 4.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: The judges note that her strong performance falls apart when they reach South Africa and she seems to forget the lessons she already learned about not being too sexy and controlling her drinking.
The Tallahassee, Florida native was a student at Florida State University before her appearance on the show. Generally, Christina was a consistent performer who flew under the radar but on the eighth week, she won the interview challenge with hip-hop artist Eve, which gave her a boost in confidence and made the judges take note of her. Unfortunately, the judges perceived Christina's quiet nature for coldness and her inability to show her personality in photos caused her to be eliminated.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Played with. Christina is very quiet and calm, which makes her seem aloof even though she's actually friendly.
- Gag Lips: Inverted. Her lips were lambasted because they're thin and small.
- Ice Queen: The judges accuse of her having a cold personality.
- Little Bit Beastly: As an Ostrich during her eight pictorial.
- Lust: During the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial◊.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: She is a sweet girl, but the judges perceive her as being "cold" and "standoffish" because she is so quiet.
- The Stoic: The judges criticized her for presenting a "cold" personality because she wasn't as vivacious as the others.
Then 19-year-old Michelle greatly impressed the judges with her versatility and talent despite her tomboyish nature. Michelle formed friendships with the other contestants, particularly when she admitted her bisexuality, but her neurotic nature caused some of the other contestants to become frustrated with her. During filming, Michelle developed impetigo and she was ostracized by the other contestants for fear that Michelle had a contagious, flesh-eating bacteria. Michelle fell to the bottom two after the Seven Deadly Sins photoshoot and was unable to improve her performance in South Africa, causing her to place sixth overall.
- Action Girl: She is a professional wrestler.
- Advantage Ball: Played with. During the Got Milk? ad, Michelle poses with a doll instead of a real child for fear that her impetigo spreading to the child model. The other contestants complained that Michelle had it easier but Jay Manuel notes that Michelle could not play off of a doll in the same way her competitors were able to with their photoshoot partners.
- Little Bit Beastly: As a Zebra◊ during her eight and final pictorial.
- Nervous Wreck: She is extremely neurotic and prone to tears, even having a meltdown when Kelle pretended to close a shoe closet on her as a joke.
- Never Live It Down: Her performance on ANTM is overshadowed by her brief impetigo infection and the mass hysteria that it generated. She later appeared in Cycle 8 to reenact the scenario for a photoshoot.
- Pride: During the Seven Deadly Sins pictorial.
- Rise Of Zit Boy: She develops impetigo during filming, which causes her massive insecurity since models are supposed to be clear-faced and a rumor spreads that she is afflicted with a flesh-eating bacteria. Thankfully, production arranges for Michelle to visit a dermatologist who gives her medication to clear it up.
At 18, Tatiana was the youngest contestant to compete on Cycle 4. Her reserved personality did not always sit well with the more rambunctious girls in the group, but she was able to deliver satisfactory photos. However, at the 7 Deadly Sins photo shoot, the judges felt her performance was lackluster and she placed seventh overall.
- Aloha, Hawaii!: She is from Hawaii.
- Celebrity Resemblance: She is noted for her resemblance to supermodel Helena Christensen.
The then 22-year-old first appeared in the semi-finals of Cycle 3, where she revealed that she used to be a deeply troubled teenager, having been abused as a child and falling in with the wrong crowd. After the birth of her son, Tiffany vowed to make more positive decisions but she struggled to control her temper. During an outing for the Cycle 2 semifinalists, Tiffany got into a barfight and she was cut from the final cast although she was encouraged to try again. After completing an anger management course, Tiffany was accepted for the cast of Cycle 4. But as the pressure mounted, Tiffany slipped back to her old self, verbally attacking other contestants and having a negative attitude. After refusing to complete a teleprompter mini-challenge in front of the judging panel, Tiffany was eliminated alongside Rebecca Epley. When Tyra perceived Tiffany to be taking her elimination lightly, Tyra called her back to lecture her and lost her temper at Tiffany, creating one of the series' most controversial moments.
- Broken Bird: She was abused as a child, got into drugs, grew up in poverty (to the point where Tiffany's grandmother forgoed paying the electric bill so Tiffany could have a swimsuit for the ANTM casting), and fell in with the wrong crowd. She admits that she puts up a tough or an indifferent front to hide her pain and anger.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: During an outing at a restaurant, Tiffany gets drunk and makes an emotional speech to the other contestants before vomiting.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She was in the casting week of Cycle 3, but was cut before the top 20.
- Little Bit Beastly: As Cancer during the Western Zodiac pictorial.
- Rage Against the Mentor: Inverted with Tyra. Tiffany is overall quiet while Tyra ends up screaming at her about not taking responsibility for her failure.
- Raised by Grandparents: She was primarily raised by her grandmother and she mentions that her grandmother is the one who encouraged Tiffany not to give up on her modeling dreams.
- Sassy Black Woman: She is known for her "That stank ho poured a beer on my weave!" quote during the barfight in Cycle 3.
- Team Mom: She has a young son and attempts to mentor Brandy, whom she sees as similar to herself.
- You Remind Me of X: She notes that she sees a lot of herself in Brandy and tries to give her guidance on how to avoid letting her temper get the better of her.
- Wham Episode: Her elimination alongside with Rebecca Epley was the series' first double elimination and even more shocking, Tyra breaks her own Cool Big Sis persona and launches into an angry tirade at Tiffany for seeming not to take her elimination seriously.
The then-22-year-old previously tried out for Cycle 2 but finally made the cast in Cycle 4. Rebecca landed in the middle of the pack, winning the runway challenge but not having particularly great photographs. Rebecca's most frequent criticism was that she was not memorable enough and needed to stand out from the crowd. Rebecca was eliminated alongside Tiffany, tying for 8th place.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She got a long weave for her makeover, and she had a sweet personality.
- Ill Girl: She has a preexisting condition, vaso-vagal syncope, that caused her to faint unexpectedly at the judging panel.
- Never Live It Down: She is most remembered for fainting at the judging panel, after being told that she wasn't memorable enough. She later appears in Cycle 8 to reenact the incident for a photoshoot.
Lluviana Lluvy Gomez was noted for her unique facial features but her insecurities about her unusual looks caused her to produce what Tyra called the worst photo in the history of Americas Next Top Model. Despite this, the judges gave her a second chance but Lluvy failed to prove herself in the next photoshoot and she was the fifth contestant to be eliminated.
- Butt-Monkey: For her infamous Pisces pic being called the worst photo in the show's history.
- Celebrity Resemblance: To Shelly Duvall, as noted on the show.
- Former Teen Rebel: Used to be part of a gang.
- I Am Not Pretty: Does not think of herself as beautiful and thinks she looks "weird".
- Little Bit Beastly: As Pisces during the Western Zodiac pictorial.
- My Greatest Second Chance: Lluvy gets a chance at redemption when she is invited on The Tyra Show to redo her Zodiac photoshoot and nails the photo.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: As noted above, "Lluvy" is short for "Lluviana."
Then 20-year-old Noelle got into modelling to provide a better life for her young son. Noelle is notable for being the first to sound the alarm about Michelle Deightons skin condition and spreading gossip it to the other contestants. Noelle struggled to standout in photoshoots and ultimately, the judges felt that Noelle did not possess the look of a model, in photographs or in person.
- Ambiguously Brown: She is half black, but is light-skinned with blonde hair.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She wants to make a better life for her son, but has no problems bullying Michelle over her skin problem and turning the other girls against her as a result of mass-hysteria.
- Little Bit Beastly: As Leo◊ during the Western Zodiac pictorial.
- Team Mom: Subverted. She has a young son but is not particularly motherly towards other contestants.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: When Michelle's skin rash is discovered, she quickly turns the other contestants against her and whips mass hysteria about what her condition is. Then in the "Never before seen" episode, it is revealed that she wished for Michelle to lose as she was leaving the house.
Then 20-year-old Brandy was noted for her fierce attitude, which eventually proved to be her downfall. In the first week, Brandy was almost eliminated for a poor attitude on the photoshoot set and she resolved to keep a better control of her temper, which did not last long. Brandy picked a fight with Tatiana Dante during a challenge designed to gauge how well the contestants would react under pressure and had a negative attitude during the zodiac-themed photoshoot. Despite her strong photos, Brandy was eliminated for her poor behavior on set.
- Bald Woman: Post-makeover◊.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Brandy pouted about not receiving a makeover so Tyra and the stylists decided to give her a weave, only to find that Brandy's hair was badly damaged and the only makeover they could give her was to shave her head completely.
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: Often complained on set about everything. The judges call her out for her attitude problems but she never seems to take the lesson to heart.
Then 22-year-old Sarah Dankleman appeared in Stuff magazine prior to her appearance on America's Next Top Model and felt confident that her prior modeling experience would aid her during the competition. However, when it came to runway walking, Sarah experienced the most difficulty. The judges noted that she was awkward and lacking in poise, and she was the second contestant to be eliminated.
- Bifauxnen: After her makeover◊.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She appears to be sweet, but she has no problems bad-talking the other girls behind their backs, even referring to Brittany as a "porn princess" when Sarah is eliminated over her (even though Sarah is the one who had previously posed for a suggestive men's magazine!).
- I'm Not Here to Make Friends: Noelle attempts to ask Sarah what to expect during the 1-800-Flowers photoshoot and Sarah refuses to tell her, saying that no one told her what to expect and This Is a Competition.
- She Is All Grown Up: During the auditions, we see pictures of her as a frumpy looking-girl. She admits that she was formerly an ugly duckling.
- Sore Loser: She derisively dismisses Brittany's chances of being a high fashion model before admitting that she is mainly upset at herself for not being good enough.
Brita decided to enter the fashion industry because she wanted to follow in the footsteps of her mother, a former model. According to Brita, her Latvian immigrant family did not like the idea and attempted to push her towards academics and playing the piano.
Despite Brita's enthusiasm, the judges expressed doubt over whether she would have a successful modelling career. At 25, Brita was considered "old" by industry standards and she was also considered overweight. As such, the judges determined that she did not have much potential and she was the first contestant to be eliminated.
- Hollywood Pudgy: At 5'9" and 138 lbs, she is considered to be "fat" by the fashion industry and the judges told her she needed to lose weight in order to be considered a fashion model.
- Immigrant Parents: Her parents came from Latvia.
- My Beloved Smother: Her parents forced her to study every day and to play the piano because they believed modelling was not a serious dream.