Jaslene was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in Humboldt Park, Chicago, where attended Notre Dame High School for Girls in Chicago. She was an online college admissions advisor prior to Americas Next Top Model.
Jaslene had done some modeling prior to Americas Next Top Model, having been represented by Avant Garde Models. In her CW Close-up interview, it was revealed that she appeared in fashion shows for local Chicago designers, including Michelle Gomez of Chicago and Alexis Arquette, as seen in local Chicago newspapers Extra and La Nota.
Jaslene said in her Seventeen interview that she had been in an abusive relationship with her ex-boyfriend; the relationship ended shortly before the filming of Cycle 7.
Jaslene tried out for Cycle 7, but only made it to the semifinals. Assuring the judges that she would be back for the next cycles audition, Jaslenes determination caught the eyes of producers, who thought she had potential. She indeed tried out for Cycle 8 and this time made it to the finals. During the competition, Jaslene was called first at panel four times, and won one reward challenge. On the season finale, Jaslene was revealed as the winner. She is the second of three winners from Illinois, preceded by Adrianne Curry of Cycle 1, and followed by McKey Sullivan of Cycle 11.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: The composed type.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: In her second pictorial.
- Drop Dead Gorgeous: In her fourth pictorial.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She was in the casting week of Cycle 7 but was cut before the top 13.
- Flawless Victory: The first winner to win with No-Damage Run.
- Mis-blamed: Invoked during the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Spicy Latina: what she describes herself as.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She was somewhat arrogant at first, especially after winning best picture in the second episode, but she started to thaw and be nicer to the other girls as the show went on (aside from joining Renee in bullying Natasha in Australia, and after that episode she seemed to get along with her fine.)
Natasha was born and raised in Russia. She has admitted that while attending school in Moscow she was in a lot of financial trouble. But when she met her future husband, he brought her over to America giving her the chance to pursue her dream of modeling. Natasha started out as one of the weakest contestants in the competition, narrowly avoiding elimination in the second episode. But after being given the chance she proved herself and soon became one of the strongest in the competition. Her optimistic attitude and ability to take a strong picture bought her a spot in the final two, along with Jaslene Gonzalez. But in the end, Jaslene was crowned Americas Next Top Model and Natasha was named runner-up.
- Actor Allusion: She posed with Michelle.
- Body Horror: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Celebrity Resemblance: With Renée Zellweger.
- Also Angelina Jolie
- Cloudcuckoolander: often made things that made zero sense, but she thought they were perfect anyways.
- The Ditz: always misunderstood what directions
- Funny Foreigner: "some people have war in their countries"
- Glorious Mother Russia: she was born in Russia.
- Graceful Loser: she was happy for Jaslene after she won.
- Happily Married: to her husband at the time of the show.
- The Heart
- Mail-Order Bride: both the judges and other contestants accuse her of this, largely because her husband was 20 years older than her, she didn't wear a wedding ring, and she spoke no English before moving here.
- MayDecember Romance: She was 18 when she married her 40-year-old husband. It is implied that she's a Mail-Order Bride.
- The Pollyanna: Almost always manages to remain upbeat, except when Renee and Dionne got to see their kids when Renee won a challenge and Natasha cried because she missed her daughter.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Post-makeover.
- Teacher's Pet: In her second pictorial.
- Team Mom: she has a young daughter who she talked about missing a lot.
Renee was born and raised in northern Michigan, where her father was a pastor and police officer. She revealed in the first episode of Modelville on October 8, 2008 that her father was physically and mentally abusive, and that her, her siblings, and her mother Sandra, were afraid to leave due to her fathers respected position in the community as well as his mental instability.
As one of the final three contestants on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, Renee heard about the audition for the show the day before it took place in Chicago, and had been in town to get married. She went to the audition four days after she got married.
- Abusive Dad: She had one.
- Alpha Bitch: She constantly antagonized the contestants in hopes to get them sent home.
- Class Clown: In her second pictorial.
- Dark and Troubled Past: she was abused as a child.
- Downer Ending: She easily has had one of the worst non-death fall from graces in the show's history. After the show, she became addicted to drugs, lost her husband and her home, started stealing to support her habit, had two more children, had several run-ins with the law for drugs, burglary and assault and was ultimately sentenced to twelve years in prison.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Averted, all the girls at some point or another had a problem with Renee's bullying personality.
- Freudian Excuse: she blames her abusive past for her behavior against others.
- Happily Married: To her husband at the time of the show.
- Hypocrite: she wanted Natasha to go home during the final four, so she recruited remaining contestants Jaslene and Dionne to rally against her during elimination. The following week when Renee got sent home? She told Natasha she wanted her to win.
- She also complained about "fake bitches" when the girls comforted Jael upon her friend's death, but she did nothing to support Jael.
- Hide Your Lesbians: She has since come out of the closet.
- Kick the Dog: She was the ringleader in ganging up on Natasha in an attempt to eliminate her and have herself, Dionne and Jaslene in the final three.
- Team Mom: often talks about wanting to win for her young son.
- The Rival: To Brittany. Also to Sarah, Jael, and Natasha at different times in the show.
- Toothy Issue: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Younger Than They Look: she was only 20 during the show, but the judges told her she looked too old, particularly during the Covergirl photoshoot and commercial.
The 20-year-old college student from Montgomery, Alabama became the tenth girl eliminated from Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8. After making it to the final four, Dionne continued to struggle with softening her facial expressions during her shoot, and needed constant direction from Jay. During judging panel, the girls were asked who they thought had the most amount of Top Model potential, and Dionne was the only girl to not say herself. Before eliminating Dionne from the race to become Americas Next Top Model, Tyra asked, If your path is rocky, and you dont believe in yourself, whos going to believe in you?
In an interview with BuddyTV following her elimination, Dionne said her only regret was not letting Tyra know that she felt she was the best choice for Top Model, not Jaslene Gonzalez.
- Boom, Headshot!: In her fourth pictorial.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Plucky Comic Relief: mostly known more for her funny commentary, rather than for her photoshoots.
- Sassy Black Woman: often made funny comments during the confessionals, regarding every situation.
- Team Mom: has a young daughter.
Brittany was working as a bartender in Savannah, Georgia when she decided to try out for the eighth season of Americas Next Top Model. When she was 14 years old, her mother brought her to New York City and had her meet with several modeling agencies, but Brittany was not at all interested. As an adult, a friend constantly encouraged her to pursue a career in modeling, and when the show made its casting call, Brittany took her chance, even though she had not watched a single episode of the show.
When Brittany became a finalist on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, she proved to be one of the strongest competitors. Each week, she had managed to produce impressive photos, but when she struggled to remember her lines during the CoverGirl commercial shoot in Australia, Brittany found herself in the bottom two. She attributed her poor performance to her short-term memory disorder, and was subsequently spared from elimination. Her fellow Top Model finalist, Dionne, accused her of using her condition to gain the judges favor, but Brittany defended herself and regarded Dionnes accusation as mere ignorance. Ultimately, Brittany became the ninth finalist eliminated from the competition because she had done poorly during the go-sees and lacked the personality of a model.
- Arc Words/Chekhov's Gag: "I can be really loud at times".
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong
- Electric Torture: In her fourth pictorial.
- Fiery Redhead: Post-makeover.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: this was especially apparent during the go-sees challenge, where she clearly had no idea how they worked.
- The Rival: To Renee.
- Same-Sex Triplets: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Teen Genius: In her second pictorial.
- Unstoppable Rage: When she didn't beat the time limit during the Go-Sees in Australia she lost it. Worse, the clients heard her tantrums. It ultimately became her Fatal Flaw.
Jael is an aspiring model, who, prior to her participation in the eighth season of Americas Next Top Model, was working as a manager of several bands in Hollywood. She was also previously involved in band promotions in Detroit. She decided to try out for the reality show after a talent scout discovered her through her MySpace account. Other people close to Jael also felt she was a perfect candidate for the modeling competition. Despite making it to the finals, Jael admitted that she had not been a fan of the show prior to her participation and even thought that the competition would be easy.
For her first shoot as a finalist on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, Jael was asked to embody the pro-life political view. Her performance spared her from elimination, and she continued to impress the judges until the seventh challenge, where the finalists were asked to relive the most memorable moments of the series. Jael was tasked to mimic Cycle 4s Rebecca Epleys fall during the panel evaluation, but she was criticized for appearing too mechanical. She landed in the bottom two with Whitney Cunningham, but was spared from elimination again when the judges decided to send Whitney home. However, her performance on the CoverGirl commercial the following week failed to impress the judges and she was consequently eliminated from the show.
Jael passed away from stage IV breast cancer at age 34, on December 4, 2018.
- Author Existence Failure: Passed away from stage IV breast cancer in December of 2018.
- Break the Cutie: She took the news of her friends death by overdose really hard.
- But Not Too Black: she is half-black, but most people wouldn't know that just by looking at her.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: she has an eccentric personality, and would often wear tutus and wigs around the house.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Pre-makeover.
- Fridge Horror: After the show she became addicted to drugs.
- She eventually got clean and now works for a rehab centre helping others get their lives on track.
- Graceful Loser: Takes her elimination gracefully, and tells Brittany (in the bottom two with her) "Go get 'em".
- Hide Your Lesbians: Has confirmed that she is gay, however some theories that her "girlfriend" that she referenced during one panel was incorrect she was simply referring to her female friend who had recently passed; she was closeted during the show.
- Hollywood Nerd: In her second pictorial.
- Nerds Are Sexy: in her second pictorial
- Ill Girl: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Les Yay: Had a brief romantic relationship with Renee post-show, which doubles as Foe Yay considering they were at each other's throats.
- Nice Girl: Was well-liked in the house and got along well with many of her castmates.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Post-makeover.
- Rule of Pool: 50 Cent threw her into a pool.
Whitney is an aspiring model and actress from West Palm Beach, Florida. Before she joined the eighth season of Americas Next Top Model, Whitney was a student and a basketball player at Dartmouth College. She had originally tried out for the shows seventh season, but failed to make it to the semifinals. Thereafter, she decided to build her modeling career on her own and proceeded to work with various photographers in order to create her portfolio. Just before she was to return to school, the modeling show contacted her and asked her to audition for Cycle 8, where she successfully made it all the way to the finals.
During her brief participation in the eighth season of Americas Next Top Model, Whitney had been placed in the bottom three times before her elimination on week 6. Whitney expressed her disbelief regarding her ultimate status in the competition because she felt that she had done well with her photo shoot with Cycle 1 finalist Shannon Stewart. Her shock was also brought about by the compliments she received from Jay Manuel during the actual photo shoot (their conversation was edited out of the particular episode).
- Alpha Bitch: In her second pictorial.
- Big Beautiful Woman: along with Diana.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Diana, she is visibly upset when Diana is eliminated and doesn't last long after she goes.
- Ivy League for Everyone: She was attending Dartmouth at the time of the show.
- Modesty Towel: During the Continuity Nod pictorial◊.
- Nice Girl: Was an overall nice, bubbly person who got along with everybody.
- Those Two Girls: Her and Diana, not only because they were both plus-sized models, but they were both good friends during the show, and were often seen together.
Sarah Vonderhaar, a native of Lake Zurich, Illinois, is not only a fashion model and a professional photographer in Chicago, but also a budding music artist. Her modeling career began when she was 17 years old, having been signed on by Elite Model Management. She was then asked to participate in Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 7, but only made it through to the finals during the shows eighth season. Despite having done numerous acting jobs before Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, Sarah had been criticized for appearing too unnatural in her photos. Moreover, Sarah was accused of taking undue credit when she failed to thank her groupmates Dionne and Renee after she won the Sears clothing challenge. Sarah became the 6th contestant eliminated from the show, after the judges grew tired of her tendency to overpose.
- The Charmer: In her second pictorial.
- Death by Falling Over: In her fourth pictorial.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Pre-makeover.
- Idol Singer: She's even got an album.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: As a photographer, she believes she knows more about the fashion industry than she actually does, tends to overthink her poses while doing a photoshoot, and brags about how much "knowledge" she has. This ends up being her downfall in the end.
Diana Zalewski is a college student from Garfield, New Jersey. Before she was on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, Diana had no modeling experience, although many had already told her that she was well-suited for the modeling industry. Eventually, she and her friend traveled to New York City, and after a few days, Diana was told that she had qualified for the semifinals.
She made it through the model boot camp and was selected to become one of the 13 finalists of Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8. Diana was among the plus-sized models, and had tried her best to prove herself. However, during the fifth photo shoot, Diana had a difficult time posing and had received a constant barrage of criticism from Jay Manuel. Ultimately, Diana found herself in the bottom two with Whitney (who was also a plus-sized model), and was then eliminated for her lack of passion.
- Abusive Parents: Her dad was calling her fat.
- Big Beautiful Woman: along with Whitney
- Cruel and Unusual Death: In her fourth pictorial.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: After the makeover.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Whitney, doubly ironic since they were in the bottom two together.
Felicia Provost is a native of Houston, Texas and previously worked as sales associate. In addition, she has been trained in dance, and prior to being a contestant on the eighth season of Americas Next Top Model, had modeled in only one fashion show. She has remained friends with some of her fellow Top Model finalists, namely Dionne, Cassandra and Kathleen.
After relentless encouraging from her family, Felicia finally decided to AMTM during its eighth cycle. She had produced very strong photos in the beginning, but when she failed to deliver during the crime scene photo shoot, the judges abruptly put an end to Felicias journey to becoming the next winner of the competition. Her elimination greatly shocked Felicia, who was confident that despite her poor fourth set of photos, she would get to stay since her previous performances were stronger than the other remaining girls. Felicia was the fourth contestant to be sent home.
- Celebrity Resemblance: With none other than Tyra Banks herself.
- Jerk Jock: In her second pictorial.
- Off With Her Head: In her fourth and final pictorial.
- Sassy Black Woman: She often makes snarky remarks in the confessional interviews.
- Tag Along Kid: one of the youngest contestants of the cycle.
- You Gotta Have Orange Hair: Pre-makeover.
This 24-year-old college student is an aspiring model from Seattle, Washington. Before she appeared on Cycle 8 of Americas Next Top Model, she was in the middle of completing her tertiary education and had been modeling on a part-time basis with the Seattle Models Guild.
Cassandra auditioned for Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8 after a woman in a store where Cassandra was shopping approached her and told her that she would be a perfect candidate for the modeling show. For her makeover, she received a new Afro hairstyle (which she maintained for a few months after her exit), and did not mind posing nude for the third photo shoot. However, the judges expressed their disappointment over Cassandras third set of pictures, and subsequently eliminated her from the competition.
- The Cheerleader: In her second pictorial◊.
- Funny Afro: Post-makeover◊.
- Go Out with a Smile: She accepts her elimination with a smile.
- Graceful Loser: She accepts her elimination gracefully and thanked Tyra for the experience.
- The Heart: She was always very nice to everybody and nearly all of the girls are visibly upset when she is eliminated.
- Team Mom: The oldest contestant of the cycle.
Samantha Francis was working as a sales associate in Pinson, Alabama before she joined Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8. In addition, she didnt have any professional modeling experience prior to her appearance on the show.
Samantha finally had to the courage to live out her life-long dream of becoming a model when her significant other urged her to try out for Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8 in Atlanta, Georgia. Although she successfully made it to the finals, she was not able to stay long in the competition, as she was the second girl to be eliminated from the show. For the second photo shoot, the remaining twelve girls were asked to pose as different high school stereotypes, and although most of them were able to pull off their assigned stereotypes, Samantha, along with her fellow Top Model finalist, Natasha Galkina, had a hard time bringing her stereotype to life. The judges decided to cut Samantha because they saw she lacked experience and personality.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: what she had
- Southern Belle: she was from Alabama
Before becoming a finalist on Americas Next Top Model, Cycle 8, Kathleen DuJour was working as a hairstylist in Brooklyn, New York.
Kathleen was the first to be eliminated from the show despite her confident runway walk because the judges were disappointed with her inability to portray an anti-fur advocate in the politically motivated first photo shoot. Kathleen clearly had the most difficult time with the assignment, and had to keep asking for help from Top Idol judge and renowned photographer Nigel Barker. She could not grasp the anti-fur concept because she, in actuality, has no real qualms about the use of fur in clothing, to the dismay of PETA representatives.
- The Ditz: She thought fur came from animals that were already dead.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: for someone who went home early, she sure left an impression.